What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PDSL - picking 16 (1 Viewer)

bicycle_seat_sniffer

Smells like chicken
Me vs. two staffers, how did we do at the bottom of the draft? (They never had a chance)

BSS

Phillip Rivers

Brady Quinn

Jeff Garcia

Jospeh Addai

LenDale White

Cedric Benson

Rashard Mendenhall

Andre Johnson

Lance Moore

Donald Driver

Bryant Johnson

Earl Bennett

Darrius Heyward-Bey

Limas Sweed

Mario Manningham

Jason Witten

Robbie Gould

Jason Hanson

Baltimore Ravens

Jacksonville Jaguars

Sigmund Bloom

(4) Kurt Warner QB5 ARI

(4) Matt Leinart QB ARI

(7) Daunte Culpepper QB DET

(4) Jonathan Stewart RB22 CAR

(?) Knowshon Moreno RB27 ROOKIE

(7) LeRon McClain RB38 BAL

(?) Donald Brown RB44 ROOKIE

(?) Cedric Peerman RB ROOKIE

(8) Randy Moss WR4 NE

(9) Donnie Avery WR33 STL

(6) Josh Morgan WR42 SF

(4) Muhsin Muhammad WR53 CAR

(5) Devery Henderson WR65 NO

(7) Demetrius Williams WR BAL

(6) Jason Witten TE1 DAL

(9) Randy McMichael TE STL

(7) Baltimore Ravens D/ST2

(5) New Orleans Saints D/ST

(4) Jason Elam PK ATL

(6) Dan Carpenter PK MIA

16) Jeff Pasquino

(6) 4.16 Romo, Tony QB-DAL

(8) 10.01 McCown, Luke QB-TBB

(10) 2.01 Jacobs, Brandon RB-NYG

(?) 5.16 Moreno, Knowshon ® RB-FA

(7) 9.16 Rice, Ray RB-BAL

(?) 5.16 Jennings, Rashad ® RB-FA

(4) 9.16 Weaver, Leonard RB-SEA

(10) 1.16 Johnson, Andre WR-HOU

(6) 4.01 Williams, Roy WR-DAL

(10) 7.16 Smith, Steve WR-NYG

(6) 8.01 Camarillo, Greg WR-MIA

(5) 15.16 Floyd, Malcom WR-SDC

(9) 16.01 Patten, David WR-CLE

(7) 20.01 Gafney, Jabar WR-DEN

(5) 6.01 Olsen, Greg TE-CHI

(9) 14.01 McMichael, Randy TE-STL

(4) 13.16 Akers, David PK-PHI

(9) 17.16 Feely, Jay PK-NYJ

(6) 11.16 DAL-DEF/ST

(9) 12.01 NYJ-DEF/ST

To me these teams look awfully similar.

Bloom and I both grab Witten

Jeffp and I both grab AJ

their RB2's are Rookies

We all took high end QB's at the 3/4 turn

Thoughts? Is the bottom a huge disadvantage?

Who has the best 16th pick squad?

The teams are very similar.

Sig's rookie RBs are not a strategy I would use and we'll know better next week.

I like his WR's better though, and

Bass's WRs look like the desperate grasp Sig's rookie RBs would be for me.

Pasquino is out with his bye issues, but draft looks better to me if Jacobs is who he thinks he is. Was Olsen always the plan?

To advance I would give the edge to Sig guessing he knows the rookie RB value better than I ever could.

My 2 cents, which stock is going down.

ETA: I like this cross league analysis by pick, good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
The teams are very similar.Sig's rookie RBs are not a strategy I would use and we'll know better next week.I like his WR's better though, andBass's WRs look like the desperate grasp Sig's rookie RBs would be for me.Pasquino is out with his bye issues, but draft looks better to me if Jacobs is who he thinks he is. Was Olsen always the plan?To advance I would give the edge to Sig guessing he knows the rookie RB value better than I ever could.My 2 cents, which stock is going down.ETA: I like this cross league analysis by pick, good idea.
thanks PictusI think AJ/Driver/LMoore is the best top 3 WR out of the threee teams. Granted after that Istarted reaching and grabbing but that's what you do when 60+ WR are off the board

ETA: I like this cross league analysis by pick, good idea.
:confused: I'd like some feedback on the two rookie RB angle as well.

Here's my team writeup:

16) Jeff Pasquino

Clearly the weakest part of this team, I know. Romo is a solid Top 10 pick (close call with Rivers for me) but he should be good enough at least 75% of the time to post my QB score - hopefully more than that. I waited on QB2 and hoped I'd get some luck, and I was left with the McCown or Shaun Hill debate. I chose McCown because everything I've read in print and from those local to the situation are all in agreement that McCown's the guy for Tampa, at least to start the season and probably they'd give him a long leash this year. As for Hill, Alex Smith (or a rookie) could steal some time, and I think that SF will want to run much more than TB. The Bucs have Bryant, KW2, and two RBs that both catch quite well - all of which will boost QB production.

Ideally Romo counts for me every week with 12+ and McCown does fine for me in Week 6 against Carolina. Time will tell.

(7) 9.16 Rice, Ray BAL-RB

(4) 19.16 Weaver, Leonard, RB-PHI

Jacobs is a beast when he sees action - which of course is the concern when he's your #1 RB. Picking at the tail end of Round 1 I wanted a true RB1 if I could get one and I like him over Slaton for that status. Ray Rice should see more action in Year 2, and picking two rookies was one of my probable plans after I picked Moreno. Weaver will be a solid PPR guy and a bigger part of Philly's attack than most will expect, so I think he was a steal at my last pick spot.

Now - about two rookie RBs. Getting two rookie RBs does leave me vulnerable for byes of course, but I seriously doubt that the same team picks both - but sure it is a chance I'm taking that they share a bye with one another or one of my other backs - but that would still give me at least 2 RBs in play every week. Aside from that I think that there is no other position where a rookie can immediately contribute for fantasy purposes. Picking two gives me two shots at a Slaton or Forte type of acquisition for 2009, and if either one of them hits it big it is a huge boost to this team. If not, well, I'm taking a hit. I think Jacobs / Rice / Weaver could get me enough most weeks so anything from the rookies will certainly be a nice upgrade.

This (taking two rookie RBs) is the part I'd like to hear the most on from the rest of the PDSL drafters.

(7) 20.01 Gaffney, Jabar WR-DEN

Only area where byes were an issue, and it is slight. AJ is a solid #1 WR and great on a PPG basis. Roy Williams at WR2 looks like a decent choice but it does look like an early pick due to where I was at the 16/1 spot. In retrospect Santonio Holmes might have been a better choice, but should be close. Didn't really consider any other WR2 at that point.

Camarillo looks to be ahead of Bess now on the MIA depth chart, and Steve Smith will either be a PPR solid play for the Giants or bolster a needy Cleveland team if he gets dealt. Floyd can contribute when asked to do so and he's a big play target (4 of 27 catches for TDs, 17+ YPC). Patten could be a huge steal in Cleveland, especially if Braylon Edwards is traded. Either way he looks to be the #2 target there ahead of any RB or WR not named Edwards. Lastly, Gaffney is a valuable addition to Denver this year and McDaniels will get him the ball, especially when Brandon Marshall is on suspension.

Olsen gets a major boost with Cutler (and warrants a Top 10 TE pick now). As we've seen with the last 5-10 TEs, TE2s are slim pickings. I'm glad I took McMike where / when I did as I think that was the tail end of decent options, plus he's the likely #2 or #3 target after SJax and Avery on a team that should throw a decent amount.

Akers is a Top 5 guy from last year and he's definitely improved off of a bad 2007 with his improved conditioning. The Eagles seem to score quite a bit. My lone worry (aside from the bye) was weather and games in The Meadowlands. Odd I mention that with Feely, but he does seem to handle Giants Stadium fine. Their two byes lined up well (PHI gets DAL when Feely's off at home, while Feely plays the Saints in a dome Week 4). Both are either in warm weather or a dome in December as well despite their home stadiums in all but one week.

(6) 11.16 DAL-DEF/ST

(9) 12.01 NYJ-DEF/ST

Two strong defenses that include the #1 sack guy from last year (D. Ware) and Rex Ryan's Ravens 2.0 defense. Dallas vs. Philly in Week 9 may be a challenge.

I like Moreno Jeff, I almost took him or Wells at my 5/6 turn as both were there. But in my particular draft it seemed like RB value kept slipping.

I dont know much about Jennings and to me you'll have to catch a break on him producing much for you this year.

I am a dynasty Rice owner, best case is that McClain goes to FB full time, and willis is well, Willis and Ray can get some touches.

If Philly take Knowshown/Wells in round1 I think that makes weaver a wasted pick, wouldnt LoBooker been a better option?

Pasquino is out with his bye issues
confused1.gif
16) Jeff Pasquino Week 9 probably not strong enough for immunity &

Week 10 Schedule rough for you against the stronger surviving teams without as many bye problems...most should have their RB1, WR1 & 3

You will be really rooting for Philly to put out for other teams week 9 for a shot at immunity in 10

Week 9 & 10 matchups

(6) 4.16 Romo, Tony QB-DAL @ PHI @ GB

(8) 10.01 McCown, Luke QB-TBB GB @MIA

(10) 2.01 Jacobs, Brandon RB-NYG SD Bye

(?) 5.16 Moreno, Knowshon ® RB-FA Probably caan only not get worse bye wise

(7) 9.16 Rice, Ray RB-BAL @ CIN @CLE

(?) 5.16 Jennings, Rashad ® RB-FA Probably can only not get worse bye wise

(4) 9.16 Weaver, Leonard RB-PHI DAL @SD

(10) 1.16 Johnson, Andre WR-HOU @ IND Bye

(6) 4.01 Williams, Roy WR-DAL @PHI @GB

(10) 7.16 Smith, Steve WR-NYG SD Bye

(6) 8.01 Camarillo, Greg WR-MIA @ NE TB

(5) 15.16 Floyd, Malcom WR-SDC @NYG PHI

(9) 16.01 Patten, David WR-CLE Bye BAL

(7) 20.01 Gafney, Jabar WR-DEN PIT @WAS

(5) 6.01 Olsen, Greg TE-CHI ARZ @SF

(9) 14.01 McMichael, Randy TE-STL Bye NO

(4) 13.16 Akers, David PK-PHI DAl @ SD

(9) 17.16 Feely, Jay PK-NYJ Bye JAX

(6) 11.16 DAL-DEF/ST PHI @GB

(9) 12.01 NYJ-DEF/ST Bye JAX

NTTAWWT

I would also put Pasq team as the one I like the least. I liked the WR-Witten pick at the turn for both that did that over Jacobs. I liked coming back with the RB especially good value on Addai and Stewart is not bad either. I know the 2 went QB than and that was okay but I think I go WR there myself instead of waiting. Like the rookie RB at the next turn to fill in RB and than going QB myself there but nothing wrong with the Moreno-Avery connection either. Tough to say which way to go in the end as WR-WR at the first turn would have been not bad either.

Anyways. I think QB is close between BSS and Bloom. I think RB is close between all. BSS has the bigger names overall but I like the rookie RB as the starter in the end(I did same thing). WR has Bloom being behind by a little to the other 2 who are pretty even in the end. I do like the prospects of Earl Bennett to be a surprise guy. TE is Bloom and than BSS with Pass behind the 8 ball again. I dont like the 1 TE move though. But I know from my team that after the top 20 guys it gets ugly and will McMicheal provide any weeks. I like the rookie class and hope one of them catches on. D is close and the only PK I worry about is Akers a little after last year unimpressive season but no one has a real concern there

Overall I still like BSS over Bloom slightly. But I have learned never to underestimate Bloom who has my utmost respect in the fantasy world. Pasq is way behind by the looks of it. If McCown does not start, I dont like the 1 stud QB theory. Even Peyton had 2 games under 10 and 6 under 20 at a position you hope for 30 per week.

BSS - Not a fan of three QBs. Can't see how Garcia sees the field this year. You better hope that the Addai from a couple of years ago comes back because your crew has serious bust potential. Mendelhall didn't see the field last year when healthy becuase he looked like a pile of steaming pooh. Lenwhale will leave you with zilch many weeks. I looked at Benson in my league but that low ypc scared me away...better talent out there.

Will have to continue later.....

BSS - Not a fan of three QBs. Can't see how Garcia sees the field this year. You better hope that the Addai from a couple of years ago comes back because your crew has serious bust potential. Mendelhall didn't see the field last year when healthy becuase he looked like a pile of steaming pooh. Lenwhale will leave you with zilch many weeks. I looked at Benson in my league but that low ypc scared me away...better talent out there.Will have to continue later.....
Kind of funny because I am a big fan of three QB's. Highest scoring position and I want 30 per week. Garcis is not the 3rd QB I would want but he could get some time down the stretch

BSS - Not a fan of three QBs. Can't see how Garcia sees the field this year. You better hope that the Addai from a couple of years ago comes back because your crew has serious bust potential. Mendelhall didn't see the field last year when healthy becuase he looked like a pile of steaming pooh. Lenwhale will leave you with zilch many weeks. I looked at Benson in my league but that low ypc scared me away...better talent out there.Will have to continue later.....
Addai is going to rebound huge. save them taking a RB in round1 and with that awful D, I dont see how they can afford to. You could have said the same thing about Garcia the past 2 seasons, yet there he was. It was a round 20 pick.

BSS continue....like what you did at WR. Matter of fact, you're so top heavy drafting 8 was a waste. Should have picked up Bennett to back up Witten or grabbed someone like Miller late. Witten a stud but may miss a game or two.

BSS continue....like what you did at WR. Matter of fact, you're so top heavy drafting 8 was a waste. Should have picked up Bennett to back up Witten or grabbed someone like Miller late. Witten a stud but may miss a game or two.
I did think about that, I got sniped on Watson by a pick or two I believe, Bennett was a consideration.

Sigmund Bloom

(4) Kurt Warner QB5 ARI

(4) Matt Leinart QB ARI

(7) Daunte Culpepper QB DET

(4) Jonathan Stewart RB22 CAR

(?) Knowshon Moreno RB27 ROOKIE

(7) LeRon McClain RB38 BAL

(?) Donald Brown RB44 ROOKIE

(?) Cedric Peerman RB ROOKIE

(8) Randy Moss WR4 NE

(9) Donnie Avery WR33 STL

(6) Josh Morgan WR42 SF

(4) Muhsin Muhammad WR53 CAR

(5) Devery Henderson WR65 NO

(7) Demetrius Williams WR BAL

(6) Jason Witten TE1 DAL

(9) Randy McMichael TE STL

(7) Baltimore Ravens D/ST2

(5) New Orleans Saints D/ST

(4) Jason Elam PK ATL

(6) Dan Carpenter PK MIA

Could have been a good team. Leinart was probably the worst pick of all 4 leagues. Rookie RB strategy in the SSLs might be sound, but 3 is too much of a crap shoot before the draft. It's very possible that Bloom has no RBs that start for their team in the beginning of the season. WR looks above average and the bottom of the lineup will score well. I think Bloom made too many draft mistakes and gave up ground to the competition because of this.

(7) 9.16 Rice, Ray RB-BAL

(4) 9.16 Weaver, Leonard RB-SEA

(7) 20.01 Gafney, Jabar WR-DEN

(6) 11.16 DAL-DEF/ST

(9) 12.01 NYJ-DEF/ST

Solid team and probably the optimum roster distribution. McCown could turn out to be an opps. Several picks like Jacobs and ROY while decent weren't real bargains. Jeff didn't catch too many breaks at the end of the draft. RBs are probably stronger than Bloom and BSS, but until things shake out in the draft and camp we won't know how much stronger. Really like what Jeff did at WR and Olsen was a bargain compared to where the other TEs went. The success of this team will likely come down to Jacobs and ROY.

Overall I think it's pretty much a wash. Jeff is least likely to be eliminated the soonest, BSS and Bloom have the better shot of things coming together and winning a title. All there teams made critical draft errors, but that's a common oc curence drafting in the last slot.

I like Moreno Jeff, I almost took him or Wells at my 5/6 turn as both were there. But in my particular draft it seemed like RB value kept slipping.

I dont know much about Jennings and to me you'll have to catch a break on him producing much for you this year.

I am a dynasty Rice owner, best case is that McClain goes to FB full time, and willis is well, Willis and Ray can get some touches.

If Philly take Knowshown/Wells in round1 I think that makes weaver a wasted pick, wouldnt LoBooker been a better option?
A more available scenario is Wells and Moreno off the board at Philly's 1st Rounder (#28) and them taking a RB in round #2 (#53). By that time, Brown, and most likey McCoy, are gone too.That leaves the banger, Shonn Greene, for PHI at the #53 spot.

Weaver has always intrigued me. He was my preferance when I ended up taking Greg Jones, Jones winning the flip due to Weaver's bye week #4 conflict on my roster. If Greene, then Weaver's potential as a GL back is diminished.....all though I wouldn't bet against Weaver being in there somewhere for an increased load and ending up as a top 40-45 RB.....which places him as a #4 RB in a 12 teamer and a good #3 RB in a 16 Teamer.

A more available scenario is Wells and Moreno off the board at Philly's 1st Rounder (#28) and them taking a RB in round #2 (#53). By that time, Brown, and most likey McCoy, are gone too.That leaves the banger, Shonn Greene, for PHI at the #53 spot.

Weaver has always intrigued me. He was my preferance when I ended up taking Greg Jones, Jones winning the flip due to Weaver's bye week #4 conflict on my roster. If Greene, then Weaver's potential as a GL back is diminished.....all though I wouldn't bet against Weaver being in there somewhere for an increased load and ending up as a top 35-40 RB.

Philly also has pick #21

thanks for the input Bass.

picking from the 16 spot is a challenge and I think all 3 teams did well.

Our teams similiarities is what made me create the thread.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
thanks for the input Bass.picking from the 16 spot is a challenge and I think all 3 teams did well.Our teams similiarities is what made me create the thread.
Am I alone in thinking that picking form the 16 spot is less challenging than picking from 13, 14 or 15?I think you basically pick from the same talent pool with the added challenge at those other spots of trying to guess which position will come around the bend...At the end spot, I like the fact that what you see is what you get and you can set the tone and start or end runs and really mix things up by double dipping. I like the middle, and of course the top of the draft but, I'll take 16.

thanks for the input Bass.picking from the 16 spot is a challenge and I think all 3 teams did well.Our teams similiarities is what made me create the thread.
Am I alone in thinking that picking form the 16 spot is less challenging than picking from 13, 14 or 15?I think you basically pick from the same talent pool with the added challenge at those other spots of trying to guess which position will come around the bend...At the end spot, I like the fact that what you see is what you get and you can set the tone and start or end runs and really mix things up by double dipping. I like the middle, and of course the top of the draft but, I'll take 16.
I like 13-15 better. In the 15 hole I could look at Jeff's roster both by position and byes and well as his rankings and determine who I should take and who I could let slide. For instance, when I saw he had two TEs, I deferred on taking Miller. At the beginning of the draft I took MB3 leaving both Slanton and AJ on the board figuring he wouldn't draft both. Ultimately decided on CJ over Slanton, but it's an example of how to make use of the turn.

I like 13-15 better. In the 15 hole I could look at Jeff's roster both by position and byes and well as his rankings and determine who I should take and who I could let slide. For instance, when I saw he had two TEs, I deferred on taking Miller. At the beginning of the draft I took MB3 leaving both Slanton and AJ on the board figuring he wouldn't draft both. Ultimately decided on CJ over Slanton, but it's an example of how to make use of the turn.
:lmao: The Slaton / AJ example is a strong one. I wouldn't have double-dipped there (and I'm not a big fan of Slaton as a RB1 this year - I fear a RBBC / 2nd guy coming in) so BNB knew what was coming.Also being closer to the middle allows you for more of "taking what the draft gives you". I had to take some guys coming out of the turn earler than most would have (BJacobs, RoyW) because I knew that they wouldn't come back - which makes them look like a reach.Later on in a draft, you can see who needs TE2, DEF2, K2 etc. and try and gauge who will come back to you (at least by position) and draft accordingly. Again, BNB nailed it by sluffing TE when I had two. It didn't affect me there but it certainly could have.My team would have been much closer to BNB's roster if I was 1-3 spots earlier with MB3 as a RB1, which would have pushed me off of RoyW and Romo and likely towards Rivers or McNabb.

I like Moreno Jeff, I almost took him or Wells at my 5/6 turn as both were there. But in my particular draft it seemed like RB value kept slipping.I dont know much about Jennings and to me you'll have to catch a break on him producing much for you this year.I am a dynasty Rice owner, best case is that McClain goes to FB full time, and willis is well, Willis and Ray can get some touches. If Philly take Knowshown/Wells in round1 I think that makes weaver a wasted pick, wouldnt LoBooker been a better option?
Booker is being given lip service as a back that they still like, but he's been a bust so far.They brought in Weaver for a reason. He will likely get 30-40 catches and could be the #2 RB after Westbrook (unless they draft one, which I do hope). Regardless the RBs in Philly catch a ton and Weaver has shown that he is a solid backup or even FB to get the tough yards inside. Weaver's way better of a pick than Booker at this point.Even if they take a rookie, Weaver will still see the field. Sure he may be RB3 if they draft a rookie, but he's my 5th RB and was one of my last two picks - surely the upside outweighs the downside. Just check how many quality games CBuck had when Westy was out. Weaver could get a few TDs (for a team that had a team record for points last year) and could count for a few weeks - about all you can ask for from a RB5.

This analysis.... of pick #16....reminds me: I was scratchin' my head about this competition, readin' the rules and trying to figure out how it worked.

It occurred to me that there's an alternative based on how Z-Land runs their Masters competition each year.

In that competition, 12 (out of 60 teams) advance to the finals. All 60 teams duke ot out for weeks #1-12 with week 13 being a bye week.

The top 12 teams qualify for the finals, which begin week #14. The competition is average score based so it's head to head in weeks #1-12 with week #13 being "played out" within each of the 5-12 team leagues but because it's not conducive in the 12 team format (round robin doesn't mesh with a 13 game schedule) week #13 doesn't count.....I think that is true as to how week #13 is handled in that competition.

At any rate, the W/L records are not important but the point average/week determines who advances. Each advancing team receives it's average score for the qualifying weeks as it's basis in the competition. Week's #14, #15, and #16 scoring are added to the average score that got the twelve teams to the finals and that total score determines the winner.

For this deal, with four Leagues, the advancing teams would logically be determined by competitions within each of the 16 draft positions.....each draft position sends it's top average point scorer to the finals and the 16 teams, one team representing each of the draft positions, duke it out for the final top point total.

There....worth chewing on in my opinion....humble as it may be. The advantage of this proposal is that there would be a clear cut winner by draft position and each draft position would be able to compete to determine of there was a "best draft position" frequency for the winner each year.

I assume that the team captains get to place themselves into the draft order for a reason....either a preceived or a real advantage. It would be interesting to see if those perceptions are indeed realities.

The other obvious advantage(s) are those having to do with the nature of this competition: PDSL means PreDraft Survival League and that means that the bye week "luck factor" wipes out (a portion of) the skill factor in the competition. By examining how the competiton determines it's survivors, you can run a tight ship, remove luck, place skill back into the bottle and keep everone interested for a lot longer time period.

Not to mention that guys would probably enjoy it if they were active and discussing the nature of relativity because they were still "In The Competition" instead of being knocked out by a bad bye week draw. :shrug:

:moneybag: The Slaton / AJ example is a strong one. I wouldn't have double-dipped there (and I'm not a big fan of Slaton as a RB1 this year - I fear a RBBC / 2nd guy coming in) so BNB knew what was coming.Also being closer to the middle allows you for more of "taking what the draft gives you". I had to take some guys coming out of the turn earler than most would have (BJacobs, RoyW) because I knew that they wouldn't come back - which makes them look like a reach.Later on in a draft, you can see who needs TE2, DEF2, K2 etc. and try and gauge who will come back to you (at least by position) and draft accordingly. Again, BNB nailed it by sluffing TE when I had two. It didn't affect me there but it certainly could have.My team would have been much closer to BNB's roster if I was 1-3 spots earlier with MB3 as a RB1, which would have pushed me off of RoyW and Romo and likely towards Rivers or McNabb.
Having access to your rankings was nice too. There were several times when prepping a list for my next picks I check your rankings to see if I needed to move someone up towards my first pick because you were down on them.Pick 3.15 - Liked Romo and Rivers. Really liked Cooley, you have him ranked 5th. Couldn't take Romo because he shared MBIIIs bye. Consulted the rankings and saw you liked Romo over Rivers and you you wouldn't double dip. Decided to play the odds that I could take Cooley and River would still be there.Pick 5.15 - Thought Big Ben was a steal here. Wasn't sure if you'd look at QB here but saw that you had Eli ranked higher so I could chance letting Ben go a few more picks and grab Lance Moore who I really like in this format (Avery was considered too). I definately would had take Big Ben first if I had seen your rankings and knew that you already had one QB on your roster.Pick 7.15 - Needed RBs here. Wanted Sproles and Washington in this format. I looked at your rankings and you had them higher than most, especially Leon. Probably should have taken Leon first based on your rankings but Sproles is a potential outcome changer in a 16 team league if LT goes down. He could instantly make up for my late RBs picks so I had to have him. Knowing that you already had two RBs on your roster and like your RB sleepers I felt Leon might survive the turn.Pick 9.15 - Wasn't sure about your thoughts on Galloway, but felt you weren't the type of drafter to take the first defense. I was also comfortable with Philly as an alternate.Pick 11.15 - Just remember a list with Higgins, Maclin, and Henderson here. None were real high on your rankings so there wasn't a huge concern.Pick 13.15 - Definately took Bradley first who was less of a priority than Brandon Jackson to me. Seeing you roster loaded with RBs let me defer on Jackson for a few picks.Pick 15.15 - Wanted Rackers and his early bye. Knew you already had two defense so JAX D could wait a few picks.Pick 17.15 - Nedney was a sure starter and you needed a kicker. I liked Miller a lot but you had two TEs already. Esay decision to take the kicker first.Basically the decision process in every pick I made involved reviewing Jeff's roster, byes, and rankings. Not sure how it helped as Jeff may not have been interested in the guys I took anyway. That said, I don't recall him taking anyone other than AJ and possibly Moreno who was on the radar out from underneath me.

This analysis.... of pick #16....reminds me: I was scratchin' my head about this competition, readin' the rules and trying to figure out how it worked.

It occurred to me that there's an alternative based on how Z-Land runs their Masters competition each year.

In that competition, 12 (out of 60 teams) advance to the finals. All 60 teams duke ot out for weeks #1-12 with week 13 being a bye week.

The top 12 teams qualify for the finals, which begin week #14. The competition is average score based so it's head to head in weeks #1-12 with week #13 being "played out" within each of the 5-12 team leagues but because it's not conducive in the 12 team format (round robin doesn't mesh with a 13 game schedule) week #13 doesn't count.....I think that is true as to how week #13 is handled in that competition.

At any rate, the W/L records are not important but the point average/week determines who advances. Each advancing team receives it's average score for the qualifying weeks as it's basis in the competition. Week's #14, #15, and #16 scoring are added to the average score that got the twelve teams to the finals and that total score determines the winner.

For this deal, with four Leagues, the advancing teams would logically be determined by competitions within each of the 16 draft positions.....each draft position sends it's top average point scorer to the finals and the 16 teams, one team representing each of the draft positions, duke it out for the final top point total.

There....worth chewing on in my opinion....humble as it may be. The advantage of this proposal is that there would be a clear cut winner by draft position and each draft position would be able to compete to determine of there was a "best draft position" frequency for the winner each year.

I assume that the team captains get to place themselves into the draft order for a reason....either a preceived or a real advantage. It would be interesting to see if those perceptions are indeed realities.

The other obvious advantage(s) are those having to do with the nature of this competition: PDSL means PreDraft Survival League and that means that the bye week "luck factor" wipes out (a portion of) the skill factor in the competition. By examining how the competiton determines it's survivors, you can run a tight ship, remove luck, place skill back into the bottle and keep everone interested for a lot longer time period.

Not to mention that guys would probably enjoy it if they were active and discussing the nature of relativity because they were still "In The Competition" instead of being knocked out by a bad bye week draw. :moneybag:
good idea, but thats not what these league are about. The whole immunity/low man bootee thing is a cool twist. The key in these drafts is to draft the best overall squad, to be risk adverse and not finish low man. Surivivor!

Twilight usually tracks the eliminations by draft position and key player as we get later in the year.

As BBS said, there's a knack to drafting in this type of league. You aren't concerned about peak scores, just not having the lowest score. Every week is a season on it's own. Best ball also factors into things. If you really want to get serious, you can eliminate the bye issues to an extent with some research. You can also avoid taking players on the same team too.

In the August version of these leagues, we offer some different formats which including a "hot stove" league and a cummulative point league. I went with the captain approach here to mix things up. Spring is a ladder advancement league from year to year and Winter we keep the status quo year to year as a tradition thing. You will also see an IDP league and a White Elephant league where you can steal other people's picks. Once we even did a league where people bid on their draft position.

Twilight usually tracks the eliminations by draft position and key player as we get later in the year.As BBS said, there's a knack to drafting in this type of league. You aren't concerned about peak scores, just not having the lowest score. Every week is a season on it's own. Best ball also factors into things. If you really want to get serious, you can eliminate the bye issues to an extent with some research. You can also avoid taking players on the same team too.In the August version of these leagues, we offer some different formats which including a "hot stove" league and a cummulative point league. I went with the captain approach here to mix things up. Spring is a ladder advancement league from year to year and Winter we keep the status quo year to year as a tradition thing. You will also see an IDP league and a White Elephant league where you can steal other people's picks. Once we even did a league where people bid on their draft position.
I like the Captains' Quorem league where as long as a set number of people were present in the draft room, the draft goes on and people can be skipped....Also a fan of the Screw Your Buddy Elephant league...All and all it's fun ways to discuss, strategize and rank players.

There has been valid points in analysis for good and bad on all three teams, so I won't add anything to that other than a short comment. I will just give my opinions how I see the 3 teams ranked by position.

QB's-S.Bloom, BSS, Jeff P.

Sig has the best group. McCown may not start for Jeff. Quinn and Garcia are question marks for BSS.

RB's-BSS,S. Bloom, Jeff P

I like BSS's group. Benson will be serviceable and Mendenhall could be a wild card and be a surprise. Sig and Jeff's backs get a push. The better of those two will be whose rookies best perform.

WR's- PUSH for all 3

All teams have good top guys and it'll depend on which team's depth ends up producing. Slight edge to BSS on depth receivers producing.

TE's- S.Bloom, Jeff P., BSS

Both Sig and Jeff have the same #2 so Sig gets the nod with Witten over Olsen. Only having Witten may or may not hurt BSS, but a week 6 bye's not too bad.

PK's-Jeff P., S.Bloom, BSS

Kickers are kickers and I just prefer Jeff's the best. Hard to determine which group will be better so it's really closer to a push for all 3. I'm just partial to Jeff's kickers.

DEF-BSS, Jeff P., S.Bloom

Defenses can change a bit year to year. Jeff's group could end up the best. All have a good #1 defense.

All 3 have pretty decent teams and hard to say which is better. Wouldn't it be funny if they all 3 made an exit the same week. Not saying either that none of them won't make it all the way as I haven't looked over the rosters of all the other teams in their respective leagues. All of them seemed to have drafted pretty good from the 16 spot and you can make a case for any as to which is the best of the 3.I respect all 3 and the choices they made. If I have to nail it down to one team I'm going to be a little bias and be pulling for Jeff's team since he was in my draft, PDSL 2.

Felt like bumping this since WSLs are just about done and Jeff and I both won out of the 16 slot last year, and are captain this year.

Funyn how things change year to year.

Felt like bumping this since WSLs are just about done and Jeff and I both won out of the 16 slot last year, and are captain this year.Funyn how things change year to year.
Very interesting. Last year it didn't take much to win these leagues. A solid stud pick or two and a couple of great hits on later round picks and you were in business. Not a knock on any of these teams, just pointing out that we didn't have as many of the steam roller teams last year. Now whether that was due to a so-so fantasy season production wise or tighter drafting in these leagues is up for discussion.I was very wrong on the analysis of BSS's team.

Interesting that you hit on RBs 1 3 and 4. Didn't grab a RB until round 4 and made out like a bandit!
this was my strategy in a lot of leagues and it worked well.Look at Jeff, nailing Ray Rice (in round 9 no less) and the other Steve Smith.Studs and late roud home runs, thats how to win.For me I often find success drafting great TEs early.

Users who are viewing this thread