What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2009 IDP NFL Draft Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
:excited:

For the fourth year running, we'll be analyzing and speculating about every major defensive prospect (and a bunch of lesser ones) as they come off the board on draft weekend.

I keep reading that this draft is one of the weaker drafts in recent years. I’m not sure that applies to the defensive side of the ball, where there are plenty of intriguing prospects throughout the front seven. But there are all kinds of interesting questions to be answered with this group.

Where does Aaron Curry go? Will he end up in a primo ILB role or be drafted as a 4-3 SLB or 3-4 OLB?
Which backer ends up in Detroit with the 20th or 36th overall pick?
Will versatile guys like Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews be drafted by teams who plan to use them as major parts of their defense or in more of a supporting role?
How will the huge group of OLB/DE hybrids shake out?
Which of the defensive end prospects will end up in the best role?
Will one or more of the DB prospects end up on a team that has a big need for an in-the-box safety?
----------

To kick off the tailgate party, here are a whole host of draft links to get you ready for the weekend.FBG one-stop page for draft prospect information from around the web (soon to include IDP)

FBG Draft Warehouse page with information from DraftGuys, Waldman, Bloom 100, articles, podcasts and more

The Audible home page with links to podcasts previewing every defensive position (review shows to follow post-draft)

Direct link to Draftguys.com positional rankings

Direct link to all 51 DraftGuysTV video profiles (including a number of intriguing defensive prospects)

FBG IDP Rookie Rankings page (will be updated shortly after the draft)

My predraft thoughts thread including the annual IDP Opportunity in the Draft article

Additional links to DraftGuys live coverage from the floor and other FBG information when they become available.

Here's a preview of what to expect for the newbies among us...

2008 IDP NFL Draft thread

2007 IDP NFL Draft thread

2006 IDP NFL Draft thread

:hot: :pickle:

:bluedot:

Also when did I miss the Tyson Jackson train? I'm hearing that he's being considered @ 1.03 and 1.05.

:bluedot:

Also when did I miss the Tyson Jackson train? I'm hearing that he's being considered @ 1.03 and 1.05.
A run-stuffing DT in the 3-4....who'd a thunk? Used to be able to find those guys due to the low demand. Now it's a big time demand.Joel Collier, and Steve (Bill's Dad) Bilichick....man, they're everywhere.

Current rumors from the floor:

Tyson Jackson 1.03 to Kansas City (per PFT)

For all the talk about the top ten picks being undesirable due to contract costs, it sure feels like the Rams and Chiefs might find a way to trade back. Jackson is an interesting talent and the Chiefs have huge needs across the line, but the 1.03 is awfully early. Not to mention earlier NFLN reports that Curry would be the pick. And it still seems odd that they've seemingly dismissed BJ Raji.

BJ Raji to the Browns (per Bloom's Twitter feed)

Bloom adds that Braylon Edwards would go to the Giants in this scenario, with Cleveland bypassing Crabtree in favor of a WR later in the first round.

:shrug:

Oh, and Rick Gosselin has Curry to Seattle at 1.04 in his final mock draft. Many of Gosselin's "haven't seen that before" picks pan out on draft day. He's got Jackson to the Chiefs, too, so maybe he's plugged into the same things folks are reporting above.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has become a pretty interesting spot.

Tyson Jackson? Aaron Curry? Surprise out-of-nowhere pick? Somebody trade up for a QB? Raji after all?

:shrug:

Oh, and how about NFLN putting Aaron Curry up there just before the pick was announced. Tricksy. :unsure:

1.03 -- DE TYSON JACKSON -- Kansas City Chiefs

Without question, the Chiefs needed help up front. There are some concerns that Jackson may not be a stud in run support, but he's one of the better pass rushing prospects for a guy his size. He's probably a better fit for a hybrid front with some 1-gap 3-4 concepts, as is Glenn Dorsey inside. Could be a sign that we'll see more of the Clancy Pendergast hybrid playbook than the Belichick playbook Scott Pioli is more familiar with from New England. If that's the case, Jackson may fit into the Darnell Dockett type role, and there may be more NFL and IDP value there than it may appear at first glance.

This pick is likely also a sign that teams (at the very least KC) don't see Aaron Curry as a projectable rush OLB. We may see him go to Seattle here or watch him drop for awhile.

1.04 -- OLB AARON CURRY -- Seattle Seahawks

Big implications here. Curry dodged the potential 3-4 OLB bullet for IDP purposes, but this may not be a much better spot for him. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Curry plays the weak side, and Leroy Hill has played the strong side before, but Curry would seem to be the better SLB on paper. However, it's hard to think that a team will draft a two-down SLB with the fourth overall pick, and Gus Bradley has a little Tampa-2 experience, so we may learn that Curry was drafted to be the centerpiece of a free-flowing front seven to pair with a versatile Lofa Tatupu at MLB.

Can't wait to hear what Mora and Bradley have to say here.

Gosselin is dead-on here so far...

Jene, how do you see the values of A.Curry and L.Hill play out if Curry plays SLB?, or if they put Curry at WLB?

Who will be 3-down LBs?

Jene, how do you see the values of A.Curry and L.Hill play out if Curry plays SLB?Might they put Curry at WLB?
See above. I'll be adding thoughts after getting the picks posted.I think anything is possible here actually. The conventional wisdom probably suggests Curry at SAM, but I think Hill could fit there well enough in a one gap front seven. He was an every-down LB with underrated coverage skills with some time at LOLB in the past, and the new playbook is less of a read/react front. I wouldn't write Curry off to the IDP scrap heap yet.This is also tempering my expectations for a Tatupu recovery to 92+ solos.

Jene, how do you see the values of A.Curry and L.Hill play out if Curry plays SLB?

Might they put Curry at WLB?
See above. I'll be adding thoughts after getting the picks posted.I think anything is possible here actually. The conventional wisdom probably suggests Curry at SAM, but I think Hill could fit there well enough in a one gap front seven. He was an every-down LB with underrated coverage skills with some time at LOLB in the past, and the new playbook is less of a read/react front. I wouldn't write Curry off to the IDP scrap heap yet.

This is also tempering my expectations for a Tatupu recovery to 92+ solos.
Jene you may see a right/left deal

Jene, how do you see the values of A.Curry and L.Hill play out if Curry plays SLB?

Might they put Curry at WLB?
See above. I'll be adding thoughts after getting the picks posted.I think anything is possible here actually. The conventional wisdom probably suggests Curry at SAM, but I think Hill could fit there well enough in a one gap front seven. He was an every-down LB with underrated coverage skills with some time at LOLB in the past, and the new playbook is less of a read/react front. I wouldn't write Curry off to the IDP scrap heap yet.

This is also tempering my expectations for a Tatupu recovery to 92+ solos.
Jene you may see a right/left deal
True. Mora's done that in the past, most notably with Michael Boley. Some of the talk about the defense this winter has suggested that Gus Bradley may have more say that might have been expected. That'd put the odds of a right/left alignment a little lower. F5'ing the bandwidth out of the Seahawks sites. :goodposting:

1.09 -- NT BJ RAJI -- Green Bay Packers

Raji will be a big help to the Packer front seven. Can't run a 3-4 effectively without a solid nose tackle and Raji should be able to anchor the point of attack well enough to let Nick Barnett and AJ Hawk roam behind him. Won't be an effective pass rusher, however. Has a little value in very tackle heavy DT required leagues, but doesn't have the potential Sedrick Ellis had last year. Pretty good value to get one of the hardest commodities to find at the ninth overall pick.

http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/dgtv_1/bj_raji_ron_brace_video/

DraftGuys TV video profile

1.11 -- DE AARON MAYBIN -- Buffalo Bills

Ridiculous explosive burst, which fits very well in a scheme that asks you to play the run on the way to the QB. Will not play the run well at all and may bust altogether if he can't widen his array of pass rush moves. Better scenario for box score production than the rush OLB role, but will still struggle to approach 40 solos in any season. Best case scenario is a Dwight Freeney-ish 35-15 and that's somewhere well into the future. If he proves productive on passing downs, it could help to take a little heat off Aaron Schobel, but with Chris Kelsay and Ryan Denney there already, Maybin has almost no chance of being an every-down player in 2009.

1.13 -- DE BRIAN ORAKPO -- Washington Redskins

So much for all the hybrid OLB/DE players going to 3-4 teams to play rush OLB. Nearly as explosive as Maybin, but much stronger and could grow into a solid every-down player from the RDE spot. Isn't the type of rookie end to blow up immediately in the boxscores, particularly in tackle-heavy leagues, but has solid long-term potential. Could also signal that Greg Blache is ready to play more aggressively with his front four, which would work in Andre Carter's favor. It's just as likely, though, that Orakpo plays a rotational role on passing downs until he proves himself ready to play the run.

Can't recall... Does Maybin have the frame to get bigger?
He does, but I don't think anyone will want to mess with his first step. I think it's a longshot that he'll put on enough weight to be more than a one-dimensional end. Any plays he makes against the run are going to be in backside pursuit.

1.14 -- CB/FS MALCOLM JENKINS -- New Orleans Saints

There was some talk about Jenkins playing safety and the Saints have both Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter at corner and Darren Sharper at FS so it's not immediately clear where Jenkins might play. I think corner is more likely, as Gregg Williams likes to play a lot of zone, which fits well with his skill set. It would also allow them to bring him along as a slot corner, then move Greer to the nickel role later. If he can't hack it at corner, they'll have a ready made FS to replace Sharper in 2010. He'll have some interesting IDP value as a corner in a zone scheme, as he's got well above-average ball skills and he's more than happy to support the run.

1.15 -- OLB BRIAN CUSHING -- Houston Texans

There goes the value of both Xavier Adibi and Zac Diles.

Very versatile player who could fit at either OLB position and talented enough to assume the every-down role alongside DeMeco Ryans. Likely to fit at SLB with Adibi the odds-on favorite to hang at the Will given the snaps that Diles has taken with the second team at MLB. Could have better than average value in this role as one of those talented every-down SLBs.

Look for Cushing to play Sam, and I think June wins out for will. Either way June could be the nickel backer even if he doesn't start.

1.16 -- OLB LARRY ENGLISH -- San Diego Chargers

Solid OLB talent to rotate with Shawne Merriman and Shaun Phillips. Solid pass rusher with a good array of pass rush moves, who could grow into an every-down OLB. Interesting that the Chargers passed on Maualuga. Either an indictment on his every-down skills or a vote of confidence for the ILB depth they have in place. English may grow into reasonable IDP value in big play heavy leagues, but he'd have been a better prospect as an every-down 4-3 DE.

May also be worth noting that, though you can never have enough pass rushers and the pool of teams looking for 3-4 OLBs is growing deeper every season, this could be a hedge on Merriman's recovery from knee surgery.

Look for Cushing to play Sam, and I think June wins out for will. Either way June could be the nickel backer even if he doesn't start.
You believe June was signed to legitimately compete to start rather than depth? I don't know if he'd fit in this kind of aggressive scheme, but I may be well off. I think Cushing has been drafted to play every down, though, and it'll likely be sooner than later.

Possible that we see Rey Maualuga to the Lions at 20? Big body for Jim Schwartz? :popcorn:

Does he go to Denver here?

What was that report all about that Tampa was considering him at the 17th pick??? Come back and get him at 19?

You believe June was signed to legitimately compete to start rather than depth? I don't know if he'd fit in this kind of aggressive scheme, but I may be well off. I think Cushing has been drafted to play every down, though, and it'll likely be sooner than later.
For this year, at least at the outset, he only signed a one year deal. It will afford Houston the luxury to bring Adibi along slower and Cushing along slower in terms of the nickel. The big loser here is Diles.

1.18 -- OLB/DE ROBERT AYERS -- Denver Broncos

Really?

This reads like Phillip Merling v2009 to me. Ayers is a tough fit for a 3-4 defensive end, even in a 1-gap front like the Broncos will trend toward. Not sure he's explosive enough to gain the edge as a 3-4 rush OLB. Fit here could be as an every down LOLB in the 3-4 that can play end if the Broncos move into a 4-3. Ayers looked to me to be the best all-around DE prospect on the board and the most likely rookie to have an impact as an IDP DE. Be interesting to see how this pick plays out over the next two seasons.

it doesn't look a "great draft" from Fantasy IDP point of view...so far
The front half of the first round is usually a bunch of DE with measurables, stud DTs and CB/S. More tweeners are going in recent years. But it's a playmaker's round and the lunchpail guys that make up the bulk of a good defense tend to go late first - mid third. The bulk of the traditional ILB prospects and safeties are yet to come.It'd have been much sexier if Curry landed in a easily projectable role and Ayers went to a 4-3 team. Had that happened, with both Orakpo and Maybin avoiding the 3-4 discussion and Cushing looking like he landed in a good spot to put up numbers, the first 20 picks would have been really interesting. All in all, though, there's not a definable MLB/ILB stud like there's been the last few seasons -- until and unless Maualuga lands in a primo spot (or Lauranitis) -- and there's no obvious stud SS or DE.The interesting rounds will come tomorrow morning when we learn where a couple of these second tier backers and safeties fall.

The fact that the Buccaneers did not pick a LB in the first round is huge for their current collection. They don't have a 2nd rounder, so at worst they'll be bringing in a 3rd round LB to compete with Ruud, Black, Hayes and Crowell.

it doesn't look a "great draft" from Fantasy IDP point of view...so far
The front half of the first round is usually a bunch of DE with measurables, stud DTs and CB/S. More tweeners are going in recent years. But it's a playmaker's round and the lunchpail guys that make up the bulk of a good defense tend to go late first - mid third. The bulk of the traditional ILB prospects and safeties are yet to come.It'd have been much sexier if Curry landed in a easily projectable role and Ayers went to a 4-3 team. Had that happened, with both Orakpo and Maybin avoiding the 3-4 discussion and Cushing looking like he landed in a good spot to put up numbers, the first 20 picks would have been really interesting. All in all, though, there's not a definable MLB/ILB stud like there's been the last few seasons -- until and unless Maualuga lands in a primo spot (or Lauranitis) -- and there's no obvious stud SS or DE.The interesting rounds will come tomorrow morning when we learn where a couple of these second tier backers and safeties fall.
:hot:

I don't know why, but I really like a little surprise with Goodell. Getting tired of Mayock blabbing the pick a second early, especially when it's "his mock pick" or disguised as a "brilliant last second thought". :lmao:

I don't know why, but I really like a little surprise with Goodell. Getting tired of Mayock blabbing the pick a second early, especially when it's "his mock pick" or disguised as a "brilliant last second thought". :lmao:
agree with what you are saying about Mayock.....it's like at the last min he is throwing whatever ##### at the wall so something sticks

1.24 -- DT PERIA JERRY -- Atlanta Falcons

Penetrating defensive tackle who could pair well with Jonathan Babineaux. May not project as a top level pass rushing three-technique tackle, but should be a productive tackle for those in DT required leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread