What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Every Down Linebacker Thread 2009 (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
This thread is linked in the pinned IDP Warehouse thread and will be bumped with every update to this initial post (usually on Wednesdays during the regular season.

Baltimore: Ray Lewis

Buffalo: Paul Posluszny, Bryan Scott

Cincinnati: Dhani Jones

Cleveland: Kamerion Wimbley, David Bowens (Matt Roth and Jason Trusnik are close)

Denver: DJ Williams, Elvis Dumervil

Houston: DeMeco Ryans, Brian Cushing

Indianapolis: Gary Brackett, Clint Session

Jacksonville: Daryl Smith, Justin Durant

Kansas City: Mike Vrabel, Tamba Hali

Miami:: Channing Crowder, Jason Taylor/Joey Porter

New England: Jerod Mayo, Gary Guyton, Tully Banta-Cain

New York Jets: Bart Scott, David Harris, Calvin Pace

Oakland: Kirk Morrison, Trevor Scott

Pittsburgh: James Farrior, James Harrison, Lamarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons

San Diego: Stephen Cooper, Shawne Merriman, Shaun Phillips

Tennessee: Keith Bulluck, David Thornton

Arizona: Karlos Dansby, Chike Okeafor

Atlanta: Curtis Lofton, Mike Peterson

Carolina: Jon Beason, James Anderson

Chicago: Lance Briggs, Hunter Hillenmeyer

Dallas: Bradie James, Demarcus Ware, Anthony Spencer

Detroit: Larry Foote, Julian Peterson, DeAndre Levy

Green Bay: Nick Barnett, AJ Hawk, Clay Matthews

Minnesota: Chad Greenway, Ben Leber

New Orleans: Jonathan Vilma, Scott Shanle

New York Giants: Michael Boley

Philadelphia: Will Witherspoon

St. Louis: James Laurinaitis

San Francisco: Patrick Willis, Manny Lawson, Parys Haralson

Seattle: David Hawthorne, Leroy Hill

Tampa Bay: Barrett Ruud, Geno Hayes

Washington: London Fletcher, Brian Orakpo, Rocky McIntosh

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple post draft changes, with Laurinaitis likely assuming an every down role as well as Curry. All indications are that Brian Orakpo will play every-down. I don't think we can reliably project Maualuga or Levy to this list yet. Brian Cushing may be closer that either to making the cut.

Jene Bramel said:
A couple post draft changes, with Laurinaitis likely assuming an every down role as well as Curry. All indications are that Brian Orakpo will play every-down. I don't think we can reliably project Maualuga or Levy to this list yet. Brian Cushing may be closer that either to making the cut.
Thanks for putting this together Jene.Greenway should be a 3 down LB for the Vikings. They didn't get a clear cut replacement for Leber but I would think they are working towards that and having Leber be a back up.

lofton says the fog has lifted

“Now,” he said, “I know what I’m doing. That allows me to play faster so I expect big things of myself.”

After the season, Lofton decided to get smaller and, hopefully, faster. He’s lost eight pounds and is down to 242, and he reduced his body fat from 15 to 9 percent.

With all of the offseason moves, Lofton is the lone returning starter along the linebacker unit. Longtime Falcon Keith Brooking left to sign with Dallas, and Michael Boley signed with the New York Giants in free agency.

Lining up next Lofton is Mike Peterson at weakside linebacker and Stephen Nicholas at strongside. Peterson played in head coach Mike Smith’s defense when he was an assistant in Jacksonville.

“Pete has been in the system for years, and Steve has a few years now,” Lofton said. “They are looking to me as a leader, but there are other leaders. … So it’s just a matter of us working together.”

Defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder, who coached Peterson when he was the linebackers coach in Jacksonville, is watching the unit closely.

“The chemistry part is always a challenge,” VanGorder said. “But certainly when you have a lot of new personnel, to collectively bring them together, the same standards and expectations, I think it’s something that you’re conscience of every day.”

Lofton concurs with VanGorder on the chemistry issue.

“Right now, it’s about getting to know each other and bonding,” Lofton said.

Last season, Lofton came off the field on third downs when the Falcons went to their nickel package. He’s slated to stay on the field and help in pass coverage.

“He’s just going to continue to improve,” VanGorder said.

In front of Lofton, the Falcons will have a new nose tackle. Last season’s starter, Grady Jackson, signed with the Detroit Lions as a free agent.

First round draft pick Peria Jerry, veteran Jason Jefferson and Trey Lewis, who is coming back from two surgeries on his right knee, will compete for that starting spot.

The spot is key for Lofton because the nose tackle can keep guards from attempting to block him.

“Trey is really a big guy,” Lofton said. “He moves really well.”

Lofton has noticed a change, no matter which tackle has been in front of him, during this mini-camp.

“The big thing that I see in our defensive line is that they are more explosive,” Lofton said.

The Falcons are also planning to play some alternating four-man and three-man fronts, depending on the situation. Lofton doesn’t expect that to change his role much.

“Whatever they call, we still have to play,” Lofton said.

In total, VanGorder is looking for five new starters - safety Lawyer Milloy is not back and cornerback Domonique Foxworth signed with Baltimore in free agency — on the defensive unit. With Lofton in place, at least he doesn’t have to worry about the middle linebacker spot.

“We always feel that things will sort themselves out,” VanGorder said. “We just have to remind the guys on a daily basis that it’s a competitive situation. They are competing for playing time.”

New York Giants: Antonio Pierce, Michael Boley

According to Avery in this thread: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=468053

Clint Stintim might take 3rd down role as a pass rusher. I assume DT Clady would come off the field with one of the DE moving inside?
Been batting this back and forth in one of the other threads. I'm not sure I'm ready to believe that Clint Sintim can pull off the DE passing role that Michael Strahan once played with Osi, Tuck and Kiwi on the line. I still think it's a longshot that Sintim will get 80+% of the snaps. Worth keeping in mind for sure, though.

According to Avery in this thread: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=468053

Clint Stintim might take 3rd down role as a pass rusher. I assume DT Clady would come off the field with one of the DE moving inside?
Speaking of Boley, isn't he flipping over from SLB to WLB?Jene -- do you have handy stats for 2008 ATL tackle opps vs NYG?
By the way, Boley had hip flexor surgery & Rotoworld reports he is out the next 8-10 weeks.

Speaking of Boley, isn't he flipping over from SLB to WLB?Jene -- do you have handy stats for 2008 ATL tackle opps vs NYG?
Boley will play WLB this season, yes.2008 ATL >>> 48.38/gm

2008 NYG >>> 45.25/gm

2008 AVG >>> 49.29/gm

6 YR AVG >>> 49.54/gm

Reported that X Adibi is now up to 240 lbs from 220 last year. He is in battle with Diles for other OLB job. Adibi seems to have better quickness and speed than either Diles or Cushing. Does that make Adibi the favorite to play on 3rd down? Diles played a lot of 3rd down last year til he broke his leg...

tex

Reported that X Adibi is now up to 240 lbs from 220 last year. He is in battle with Diles for other OLB job. Adibi seems to have better quickness and speed than either Diles or Cushing. Does that make Adibi the favorite to play on 3rd down? Diles played a lot of 3rd down last year til he broke his leg...tex
Ryans and Cushing will likely be the 3 down LB's.

Jene Bramel said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:

2008 NYG >>> 45.25/gm

2008 AVG >>> 49.29/gm

6 YR AVG >>> 49.54/gm
Not sure if Sintim will emerge this year as an every-down backer, probably not.. but all of the news clips I see about Boley immediately turn to Wilkerson, Blackburn and Kehl as possible replacements. Why not Sintim? From everything I've read and know about Sintim, he's among the most NFL-ready LBs in this rookie class. He can play inside or outside. He's versatile. He had glowing endorsement from his (former NFL coach) Al Groh. I don't think it's a stretch to think that by year's end, he's the Giants best, most versatile LB after Antonio Pierce. In a year or two, barring a big free agent splash, Sintim could be their best LB.

Am I off-base or drinking the Sintim Kool-Aid? Love to hear your thoughts, in particular, JB or Reb (Norton).

Jene Bramel said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:

2008 NYG >>> 45.25/gm

2008 AVG >>> 49.29/gm

6 YR AVG >>> 49.54/gm
Not sure if Sintim will emerge this year as an every-down backer, probably not.. but all of the news clips I see about Boley immediately turn to Wilkerson, Blackburn and Kehl as possible replacements. Why not Sintim? From everything I've read and know about Sintim, he's among the most NFL-ready LBs in this rookie class. He can play inside or outside. He's versatile. He had glowing endorsement from his (former NFL coach) Al Groh. I don't think it's a stretch to think that by year's end, he's the Giants best, most versatile LB after Antonio Pierce. In a year or two, barring a big free agent splash, Sintim could be their best LB.

Am I off-base or drinking the Sintim Kool-Aid? Love to hear your thoughts, in particular, JB or Reb (Norton).
Sintim has essentially already won the starting SLB job. If Boley's recovery doesn't go well, the team would have to decide whether they're better off with Sintim SLB/Wilkinson and Kehl WLB or Clark SLB/Sintim WLB.Given that he's a rookie and already taking snaps in the SLB/third down end role and that Boley is not expected to miss a significant portion of the regular season (if at all) and they've already seen what Wilkinson/Kehl give them at WLB, if Sintim isn't moved to WLB very soon, it's very unlikely to happen in 2009.

"After the season, Lofton decided to get smaller and, hopefully, faster. He’s lost eight pounds and is down to 242, and he reduced his body fat from 15 to 9 percent."

I have seen threads that keep track of players going up and down in weight from year to year, but is there any place that has consolidated info on body fat or Body Mass Index (BMI)?

Personally I feel that raw weight numbers don't tell the tale properly. In Lofton I see a second year guy who I already thought was a pretty good player make a huge leap physically and probably mentally as well. From what I've read over the years, once you start getting into that 9% range you're flirting with ideal world class body composition and I think that implies a mental step in how he is approaching his training.

There are plenty of speculative positive stories that come out at this time of year about how a guy is primed for a big season, but I actually think that the 15% to 9% change is legit in terms of reading into the future via media reports. I haven't seen him, but I would venture a guess that he looks much more cut and is moving with more quickness and agility.

The earliest I can remember reading about a players body fat percentage is back in 2000 when Julian Peterson was looking and doing great in training camp as a rookie and was said to have 7% body fat. I drafted him in the 2nd round of my rookie draft.

I think Will Witherspoon in St. Louis is a huge IDP sleeper this year after suffering through an injury riddled season last year. He has been moved to his natural outside position with Lauranitus taking over the middle. This will allow Witherspoon to blitz from the outside and rack up the tackle opportunities. Plus he is finally healthy and playing under New York's defensive scheme that is pushed by now Rams head coach Spags.

Bump for pre-camp speculations. A number of situations will iron themselves out over the next month and a lot of IDP value will be changing as they do.

In this thread will we get to see the little * next to the player with the headset in there helmet?
I wasn't planning on doing so this season. I still don't think it's particularly relevant.I didn't see the utility in doing it last season, but posted them to the extent that I could find them anyway. I'll make the extra effort to do all the searches again this year if folks can convince me that it's critical to the thread, but I can't remember a situation where a linebacker that had the headset wasn't clearly an every-down player or wasn't in a platoon situation with the other half of an every-down duo (Davis/Williams in CLE last year). I think it was a much bigger deal last season due to the newness of it; I don't remember reading much about it this offseason.What added information does the helmet communicator designation provide that the list itself does not?

Is there such thing as an everydown DB thread or "starting DB thread"?

There's several DB's that I'm curious about:

Quintin Demps

Sean Jones

Daniel Manning

etc.

Is there such thing as an everydown DB thread or "starting DB thread"?There's several DB's that I'm curious about:Quintin DempsSean JonesDaniel Manningetc.
This thread was started three years ago as a way to highlight the importance of knowing the nickel situations, which often were cast aside as meaningless to the bottomline. We've not had any complementary DB threads.Demps looks very likely to play in the base defense over Jones, with a strong possibility of a three safety nickel package to get Jones on the field. Early in camp, there's been no evidence to suggest Jones will beat out Demps for more than rare rotational snaps and some subpackage duty.Corey Graham didn't look good in OTAs at safety, leaving Craig Steltz as the likely FS. Manning should still see plenty of nickel duty, but doesn't seem likely to beat out Steltz at FS for now.

I could have sworn there was some recent article touting manning at fs, but I'll check tomorrow.

isn't there something linked in the kr thread?

Kool-Aid Larry said:
I could have sworn there was some recent article touting manning at fs, but I'll check tomorrow.

I think there was a note that said Manning would be working at safety again, but I think Steltz is still the starter. Let me check...Oops, you're right. Manning is now the starting FS. I'm not sure the Bears have a clue what they want to do there. Corey Graham apparently wasn't good enough and now Steltz, who I thought was getting plenty of praise during OTAs, is out of the picture. Sorry about the misread and thanks for the clarification.

Kool-Aid Larry said:

I think there was a note that said Manning would be working at safety again, but I think Steltz is still the starter. Let me check...Oops, you're right. Manning is now the starting FS. I'm not sure the Bears have a clue what they want to do there. Corey Graham apparently wasn't good enough and now Steltz, who I thought was getting plenty of praise during OTAs, is out of the picture. Sorry about the misread and thanks for the clarification.
Jene IF Manning keeps the starting gig, how unlikely do you think it is that he also keeps his KR duties?

Kool-Aid Larry said:

Jene IF Manning keeps the starting gig, how unlikely do you think it is that he also keeps his KR duties?
No idea, sorry. I haven't kept up with returners this offseason, though I'm still hoping to have kerpow's help during the regular season. I'd suppose that he'd be less likely to be used on returns, but only because that happens often when a player earns a full time role. If I see any special teams notes, I'll post them.

Colts:

Brackett is a slam dunk at MLB. Sessions is virtually a slam dunk at WLB. Phillip Wheeler will be the SAM unless he completely flops in pre-season.

I read about how Mays was in on some of the nickle snaps. What are the chances he becomes an every down LBer?
Just an opinion, but I think Mays played in the nickel to get him snaps. It's unlikely he'd have gotten more than a handful against the Patriots' spread offense otherwise. It's been Gaither first team, Wilhelm second team (I believe) in the nickel packages in practice.I'd expect to see Gaither replacing him in the future.ETA: Gaither is out this week with a knee sprain. It'll be interesting to see who plays in the nickel in this week's game.

I read about how Mays was in on some of the nickle snaps. What are the chances he becomes an every down LBer?
Just an opinion, but I think Mays played in the nickel to get him snaps. It's unlikely he'd have gotten more than a handful against the Patriots' spread offense otherwise. It's been Gaither first team, Wilhelm second team (I believe) in the nickel packages in practice.I'd expect to see Gaither replacing him in the future.ETA: Gaither is out this week with a knee sprain. It'll be interesting to see who plays in the nickel in this week's game.
Mays has been in on every defensive snap tonight. He had Addai covered pretty well but Manning threw a perfect pass right over his shoulder. He hasn't looked very good in coverage though. Don't know if that is because of him or the defensive calls. They seem to be playing alot of Zone.

So Larry Foote is a 3-down?
Not convinced that it'll stick, but a healthy Peterson was on the sideline during nickel snaps last week. There was plenty of talk that Peterson would slide down to a defensive end role during OTAs so Foote was a potential every-down player already.More comfortable projecting him in the nickel than Joe Mays after the first week. I wouldn't bump him up in the rankings until it's clear what Peterson's role will be though.

Julian Peterson played some in the nickel packages along with Larry Foote. It's hard to say what that means going forward because Ernie Sims did not play in the game and he has been an every down LB. I thought Peterson played great, especially on a 3rd down blitz up the middle.

Stay tuned. :goodposting:

Lofton was off the field on some 3rd downs but think that will end pretty soon. When they trusted him he preformed pretty well. Dislodged the ball from Michael Bennett right after the catch was a nice touch.

Lofton was off the field on some 3rd downs but think that will end pretty soon. When they trusted him he preformed pretty well. Dislodged the ball from Michael Bennett right after the catch was a nice touch.
I hyped Nicholas a long time ago, and no doubt that makes me want to see him succeed, but trying to take off the blinders and just watch them play, I can't help but think that he is better in coverage and rushing the passer than Lofton. None of them, including Peterson at this stage, are particularly impressive 3rd down players.

UPDATE: Let's focus on every down LBs who also play Nickel (whether as LB or DE).

49ers: Patrick Willis,

Bears: Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs

Bengals: Keith Rivers,

Bills

Broncos: D.J. Williams, Elvis Dumervil

Browns

Bucs: Barrett Ruud

Cardinals: Karlos Dansby

Chargers: Kevin Burnett

Cheifs: Derrick Johnson

Colts

Cowboys:

Dolphins

Eagles

Falcons

Giants

Jaguars

Jets

Lions: Ernie Simms, Larry Foote

Packers

Panthers: Jon Beason, Thomas Davis

Patriots: Adalius Thomas

Raiders: Thomas Howard

Rams

Ravens

Redskins

Saints: Vilma

Seahawks

Steelers

Texans: Brian Cushing,

Titans: Keith Bulluck

Vikings: Chad Greenway

I believe that the Denver Broncos have put Elvis Dumervil on the line as a DE and replaced Andre Davis with Wesley Woodyard in most of the nickel situations I've seen in pre-season.

I believe Dumervil was playing OLB but maybe he had his hand down in nickel situations. Thanks for the info I updatd Denvers LBs.

I might have misread the intent on the new thread and merged them too quickly. If I did, please start a new thread as I'm not sure how to unpack the merge. My apologies there.

Subpackage only backers (not listed in the OP as they're platoon players who don't play every down) include:

Denver's Wes Woodyard and Robert Ayers

Dallas' Bobby Carpenter

Green Bay's Brandon Chillar (possibly)

New York's Vernon Gholston

And rotational time for San Diego's Larry English, Arizona's Bert Berry, New York's Clint Sintim, Philadelphia's Chris Gocong.

Rashad Jeanty will be a part time base defensive player only and Cato June is on IR in Houston.

ETA: I can also add these names to the OP if you guys think it's helpful.

Jene is that list you made based on base packages or is it made to include nickel situations? Laurinitus for example is shown as en every down LB for STL. Is this assuming they stay in a 4-3 in all downs or is Laurinitus getting nickel duty?

Jene is that list you made based on base packages or is it made to include nickel situations? Laurinitus for example is shown as en every down LB for STL. Is this assuming they stay in a 4-3 in all downs or is Laurinitus getting nickel duty?
The list in the original post is meant to include only linebackers who play in the base defense and a significant majority of their team's subpackage snaps. It's somewhat arbitrary, but I think those on the list are likely to get nearly 90% of their team's total defensive snaps. Laurinaitis has been getting first team snaps in the nickel since he was elevated to the first unit.

Barnett and Matthews stayed on the field on 3rd down tonight. Barnett looks instinctive and doesn't seem to favor the knee. I wish he had played more in earlier games, but he has been practicing some.

Raji was looking pretty good. :thumbup: Sprained ankle.

Barnett thinks he's ready.

"Barnett, on whether he is ready for the regular season: "Yup. I don't see why not. There's nothing I can point at to say I'm not."

"I didn't have anything in my mind telling me to prove myself. To me it's just getting live action. I wasn't trying to prove anything to anybody to be honest. I was just playing football."

On whether he was hesitating at all with the knee: "There were no plays that I can think of that I was hesitating."

Did you feel like the pre-injury Nick Barnett? "Yup. I felt good. Of course with any ACL, it's not 100% for a couple months. But it was strong enough to run, strong enough to push, strong enough to play football. My mind wasn't on it. I didn't worry about it in the game, I just played."

On whether he's strong enough to start the season opener: "Strong enough, yes, to make plays and whatever, start, whatever....You won't have to picture that (his reaction to not starting). I feel pretty confident that they'll make the right decision. I don't feel like they have to tell me anything at this point. Not even worried about that. We'll see how it goes. I have no worries in my system."

On the play where he stood up the running back in the hole: "I would have actually like to put him on his back though. I wanted to slam his head into the ground to be honest. But I thought it was a good play. That was my first tackle, first one-on-one tackle. So it felt good to actually get in there and stick a helmet into something. Hopefully it won't be the last one."

Users who are viewing this thread