What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pat White to compete for Dolphins QB job (1 Viewer)

JAA

Footballguy
link

Pat White to compete for Dolphins QB job

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Posted By Mike Florio 11:15 PM

We believed before the draft that the teams interested in former West Virginia quarterback Pat White fell into two camps: (1) those that want him to be a Wildcat-style jack-of-all-trades; and (2) those that want him to play quarterback.

The Dolphins fell into a category we had not yet envisioned.

Both.

GM Jeff Ireland said Sunday that White will not only run the Wildcat offense, but also pursue playing time in base offense as a quarterback.

"They're going to be competing for the position," Ireland said regarding the status of White and Chad Henne.

So White won't be a receiver/kick returner/five-snaps-per-game run/throw/handoff quarterback.

He's a quarterback who'll replace Ronnie Brown as the guy who takes the snaps in the Wildcat formation, and who could supplant Henne on the depth chart.

Though we're reluctant to criticize the Dolphins at a time when our blue-and-gold glasses are being partially adjusted to include shades of aqua and coral, the pick devoted to White represents the fifth second-round selection since 2004 that the Fins have used on a quarterback.

In 2004, Miami sent a second-round pick to Philly for A.J. Feeley. In 2006, a second-round pick went to Minnesota for Daunte Culpepper. In 2007, the team used a second-rounder on John Beck. In 2008, Chad Henne arrived via second-round pick.

Though White might not be the best quarterback of the bunch, he's the most dynamic athlete.

And if Parcells didn't see in White that same kind of quiet Alabama don't-tell-me-there's-something-I-can't-do attitude that pushed Bo Jackson to become a two-sport star 20 years ago, Parcells wouldn't have drafted the kid from Daphne who landed in Morgantown only after folks in his home state thought he couldn't play quarterback at the college level.

So keep doubting him. He'll just continue to keep his mouth shut and his head down and before you know it he'll be getting it done.

I am really starting to like this White pick, regardless if he is ever a QB in normal formations.
It just seems like a very gimmicky/wildcat type pick. It's as if Parcells had nothing to do with this draft whatsoever?What happened to the lets line up and run the ball down your throat Parcells type of running game?

I am really starting to like this White pick, regardless if he is ever a QB in normal formations.
It just seems like a very gimmicky/wildcat type pick. It's as if Parcells had nothing to do with this draft whatsoever?What happened to the lets line up and run the ball down your throat Parcells type of running game?
Well we have 2 very good RB and an enormous offensive line which is getting a bajillion dollars.Who would you have had Parcells draft in order to ensure that running attack thrived?The WildCat formation has a place in the NFL and Pat White does too.

Everything I have read suggests that Parcells is very enamored with the wildcat. Hell, he brought in the old ARK OC to be the QB coach last year.

He was a 2nd round pick and has [to his credit] insisted on working out, and being viewed, as a QB. If my GM didn't say he would compete for playing time, I would wonder whether his head was screwed on right. Of course he'll compete for a bigger role. Every player in OTAs, rookie camp, minis and training camp should be competing for PT or you're doing something wrong.

Truth is, Miami needs to settle the QB position for the next x amount of years. Pennington is here for 1 more year, and then it is going to be Henne's turn. Still, we need another guy, and Pat White is no slouch when it comes to throwing the ball. Also, he is not going to be a clipboard only guy (as the usual #3 QB is) b/c he will be in the wildcat.

In any case, I still think the preseason snaps look something like this: Pennington will get about a series in PS game 1, a quarter in game 2, and a half in game 3 (maybe 1 series in the first quarter). Henne will see all of the rest of the time other than the wildcat formation which will be white. Whit may get some 4th quarter work under center, but it is nice to have options under center for a change rather than an empty cupboard...

It just seems like a very gimmicky/wildcat type pick. It's as if Parcells had nothing to do with this draft whatsoever?

What happened to the lets line up and run the ball down your throat Parcells type of running game?
Why is the Wildcat mutually exclusive from this? Isn't the Wildcat just another way to run it down the D's throat?

Pennington is here for 1 more year, and then it is going to be Henne's turn.
Why do you say this?
It's pretty common knowledge down here that Henne will be taking the reigns next year at the latest.At least that's whats been reported in the Miami Herald and Sun Sentinel recently.
Huh. I would be skeptical.
My .02 is that Penny took Miami as far as he could last season and most Jets fans would agree with this...It's time to put a QB back there that can stretch the field.That QB is not Chad Pennington.........

Why do you say this?
It's pretty common knowledge down here that Henne will be taking the reigns next year at the latest.At least that's whats been reported in the Miami Herald and Sun Sentinel recently.
Pennington has one more year on his deal and everything that's come out of Dolphinland says that Henne is next in line - unilt this whole Pat White fiasco went down this past weekend.

Maybe he is adjusting to the new NFL, which favors speed over power. The game evolves from so-called gimmicks. I remember when Fran Tarkington's style of play was called a gimmick and now today some of the best QBs are running and scrambling style QBs. Maybe the Wildcat is the wave of the future--we certainly saw other teams begin to imitate it last season.

Why do you say this?
My .02 is that Penny took Miami as far as he could last season and most Jets fans would agree with this...It's time to put a QB back there that can stretch the field.That QB is not Chad Pennington.........
:lmao:Chad Pennington took over a 1-15 team and led them to a division title at 11-5. Nice try, Pennington, but not good enough, huh? :lmao:

Why do you say this?

Huh.

:lmao:

Chad Pennington took over a 1-15 team and led them to a division title at 11-5. Nice try, Pennington, but not good enough, huh? :lmao:

All I'm saying is we are not winning a Super Bowl with him at QB and that's why they play the game.....

Not a Dolphins fan, but it was stated by the fins that Pennington's contract wouldnt be renewed and it would be Henne's team the year after. Im sure you can find the link if you look hard enough.

Why do you say this?
I think the newspapers reported that Henne was the man in 2010 because the Dolphins have not extended Pennington's contract beyond 2009. I believe Pennington has asked for the extension, but it has not been given.

Maybe he is adjusting to the new NFL, which favors speed over power. The game evolves from so-called gimmicks. I remember when Fran Tarkington's style of play was called a gimmick and now today some of the best QBs are running and scrambling style QBs. Maybe the Wildcat is the wave of the future--we certainly saw other teams begin to imitate it last season.
Can you name them for us?

Truth is, Miami needs to settle the QB position for the next x amount of years. Pennington is here for 1 more year, and then it is going to be Henne's turn. Still, we need another guy, and Pat White is no slouch when it comes to throwing the ball. Also, he is not going to be a clipboard only guy (as the usual #3 QB is) b/c he will be in the wildcat. In any case, I still think the preseason snaps look something like this: Pennington will get about a series in PS game 1, a quarter in game 2, and a half in game 3 (maybe 1 series in the first quarter). Henne will see all of the rest of the time other than the wildcat formation which will be white. Whit may get some 4th quarter work under center, but it is nice to have options under center for a change rather than an empty cupboard...
So does this mean that White will be the QB2, at least in name? Will Henne be the emergency QB on game days? Seems like a good way to save a roster spot. OTOH, it would put Miami in a bind if Pennington is ever questionable or doubtful for a game.

It just seems like a very gimmicky/wildcat type pick. It's as if Parcells had nothing to do with this draft whatsoever?

What happened to the lets line up and run the ball down your throat Parcells type of running game?
Very common misconception about Parcels. Don't beat yourself up too bad over it.

Truth is, Miami needs to settle the QB position for the next x amount of years. Pennington is here for 1 more year, and then it is going to be Henne's turn. Still, we need another guy, and Pat White is no slouch when it comes to throwing the ball. Also, he is not going to be a clipboard only guy (as the usual #3 QB is) b/c he will be in the wildcat.

In any case, I still think the preseason snaps look something like this: Pennington will get about a series in PS game 1, a quarter in game 2, and a half in game 3 (maybe 1 series in the first quarter). Henne will see all of the rest of the time other than the wildcat formation which will be white. Whit may get some 4th quarter work under center, but it is nice to have options under center for a change rather than an empty cupboard...
So does this mean that White will be the QB2, at least in name? Will Henne be the emergency QB on game days? Seems like a good way to save a roster spot. OTOH, it would put Miami in a bind if Pennington is ever questionable or doubtful for a game.
Great ? Chase..Below is a good article stating how gameday might go regarding the inactives and emergency QBhttp://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_seaso...-not-a-3rd.html

Truth is, Miami needs to settle the QB position for the next x amount of years. Pennington is here for 1 more year, and then it is going to be Henne's turn. Still, we need another guy, and Pat White is no slouch when it comes to throwing the ball. Also, he is not going to be a clipboard only guy (as the usual #3 QB is) b/c he will be in the wildcat. In any case, I still think the preseason snaps look something like this: Pennington will get about a series in PS game 1, a quarter in game 2, and a half in game 3 (maybe 1 series in the first quarter). Henne will see all of the rest of the time other than the wildcat formation which will be white. Whit may get some 4th quarter work under center, but it is nice to have options under center for a change rather than an empty cupboard...
Isnt there some rule about QB1, 2, 3, and reserve on game days?EDIT:
» NFL'S "third-quarterback" rule -- sometimes misunderstood: Seventeen years ago (1991) the third-quarterback rule was instituted to enable teams to have an emergency quarterback available who was not on the 45-man game-day active roster, since many teams, for strategic purposes, only carried two quarterbacks on their game-day roster.Everybody thinks they understand the NFL's "third-quarterback" rule. But do they?The rule states that if a third quarterback is inserted before the fourth quarter, a team's first two quarterbacks cannot be used in the game at any position.Another aspect of the rule is sometimes misunderstood. It is a coach's decision as to whether a third quarterback will be used.The active quarterbacks do not have to be injured for a team to use its third quarterback.

Last edited by a moderator:
» NFL'S "third-quarterback" rule -- sometimes misunderstood: Seventeen years ago (1991) the third-quarterback rule was instituted to enable teams to have an emergency quarterback available who was not on the 45-man game-day active roster, since many teams, for strategic purposes, only carried two quarterbacks on their game-day roster.Everybody thinks they understand the NFL's "third-quarterback" rule. But do they?The rule states that if a third quarterback is inserted before the fourth quarter, a team's first two quarterbacks cannot be used in the game at any position.Another aspect of the rule is sometimes misunderstood. It is a coach's decision as to whether a third quarterback will be used.The active quarterbacks do not have to be injured for a team to use its third quarterback.
Talking to myself here, it makes me think White will always be listed as a WR. There is no rule about when the WR can lineup at QB as long as he was listed gameday as WR. If this is the case, it would only cause them to roster 2 QBs.

» NFL'S "third-quarterback" rule -- sometimes misunderstood:

Seventeen years ago (1991) the third-quarterback rule was instituted to enable teams to have an emergency quarterback available who was not on the 45-man game-day active roster, since many teams, for strategic purposes, only carried two quarterbacks on their game-day roster.

Everybody thinks they understand the NFL's "third-quarterback" rule. But do they?

The rule states that if a third quarterback is inserted before the fourth quarter, a team's first two quarterbacks cannot be used in the game at any position.

Another aspect of the rule is sometimes misunderstood. It is a coach's decision as to whether a third quarterback will be used.

The active quarterbacks do not have to be injured for a team to use its third quarterback.
Yeah, I'm familiar with the rule. To save special teams spots, on opening day 1999, Parcells had Testaverde as the QB1, Tupa as the QB2/Punter, and Mirer as the QB3. When Testaverde went down, the Jets had to play Tupa at QB -- had they brought in Mirer, they would have lost their punter for the rest of the game and IIRC, they still thought Testaverde might be able to play again that day. So Tupa played QB and Mirer came in once the 4th quarter started.http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxs...99909120nyj.htm

Roster spots are scarce in the NFL and Parcells really values special teams players, so I suspect Henne will be the emergency QB if White is at least competent as a QB.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the rule. To save special teams spots, on opening day 1999, Parcells had Testaverde as the QB1, Tupa as the QB2/Punter, and Mirer as the QB3. When Testaverde went down, the Jets had to play Tupa at QB -- had they brought in Mirer, they would have lost their punter for the rest of the game and IIRC, they still thought Testaverde might be able to play again that day. So Tupa played QB and Mirer came in once the 4th quarter started.
And Tupa was probably a better QB than Mirer then

He was a 2nd round pick and has [to his credit] insisted on working out, and being viewed, as a QB. If my GM didn't say he would compete for playing time, I would wonder whether his head was screwed on right. Of course he'll compete for a bigger role. Every player in OTAs, rookie camp, minis and training camp should be competing for PT or you're doing something wrong.
what he said

Pennington will start the season as the starting QB. Pat White will be mixed in from time to time in a variety of ways, but mainly for the wildcat formation stuff. Outside of Pennington getting injured or sucking it up, I don't see it changing much in 2009.

NEXT year, however, will be when it gets real interesting. I, and I'm sure a number of people, knew that Miami would be the place he's drafted. They were the first to introduce the wildcat formation to the NFL, and Pat White is the perfect fit for that. Though I too have read articles a few weeks/months back that Miami plans on handing things over to Henne next year, I think the drafting of White has put that on hold. Things can change tremendously in one year's time, and I can very easily see Pat White beating out Chad Henne. I'm a Wolverine fan (yes, I still admit it), and though Henne was decent there, I didn't see him doing a lot in the NFL. Doesn't mean he CAN'T, but I think the drafting of White really throws everything on the table for the future of the Dolphins.

It will be interesting to see what happens...

Chad Pennington took over a 1-15 team and led them to a division title at 11-5. Nice try, Pennington, but not good enough, huh? :coffee:
They didn't hoist he Lombardi trophy, so no, it was not good enough. Sure they rebounded extremely well and one should not expect the Phins to go from 1-15 and win it all. That being said, I think what Finatic is saying is that Pennington hit his ceiling last year and will not likely improve on what he did in 2008. One could argue that the Phins can still improve and go beyond what they did last year. I'm sort of in the Pennington will never win the SB crowd, but then again if Dilfer can do it, anybody can do it...

I believe the rule was amended by cower when he was on the competition comtee. It allowed the QB to reenter the game in the 4th quarter should the emergency QB thingy occur (I think it was added due to kordell)

Pennington is a game manager not a game breaker.

Pennington will start this year and barring a terrible season, will start all 16 games methinks. Henne would replace him if something happened.

Next year I don't see them bringing in Pennington for another year meaning White and Henne compete for starting QB job. Either way white has a job as either the wildcat center piece or both the wildcat and starting qb. This is the real key. If the fins can run a wildcat offense with the same packages as the vanilla offense then they will be scary and Pat White can be key.

I expect Pat White to gain some weight too. The only real fundamental problem with him is his light weight.

JAA said:
:towelwave: Hey, I'm not saying that Pat White can't develop but let's be real here.Henne has the size, arm strength and will have two years of offseason work into his development. The Dolphins will say all the right things but Pat White isn't going to be taking over at QB for Pennington...except to run the Wildcat.

fissure man said:
=Smackdown= said:
Very common misconception about Parcels. Don't beat yourself up too bad over it.
That's what I was going to bring up - it's a myth. Parcells has always been a short passing game guy. That's how Drew Bledsoe set the record for pass attempts.

JAA said:
:thumbup: Hey, I'm not saying that Pat White can't develop but let's be real here.Henne has the size, arm strength and will have two years of offseason work into his development. The Dolphins will say all the right things but Pat White isn't going to be taking over at QB for Pennington...except to run the Wildcat.
I'm thinking coach speak as well to keep his draft pick happy and motivated...

Jason Wood said:
He'll make Henne a stronger QB too. This move is good for the team. I figure White will lose and be a good slash/wildcat QB but I wouldn't be surprised if he won. The kid hasa lot of fight in him. Henne's in for a fight.

Trey said:
=Smackdown= said:
Desert_Power said:
Well we have 2 very good RB and an enormous offensive line which is getting a bajillion dollars.Who would you have had Parcells draft in order to ensure that running attack thrived?The WildCat formation has a place in the NFL and Pat White does too.
How bad does White's signing (and him running the wildcat) hurt Ronnie Brown's ceiling?

JAA said:
:goodposting: Hey, I'm not saying that Pat White can't develop but let's be real here.Henne has the size, arm strength and will have two years of offseason work into his development. The Dolphins will say all the right things but Pat White isn't going to be taking over at QB for Pennington...except to run the Wildcat.
Id bet good money that White has a much stronger arm than Henne. White has the kind of arm that a baseball center fielder who gets drafted out of HS, not once but twice, has.

JAA said:
JAA said:
Chase Stuart said:
Gatorman said:
Talking to myself here, it makes me think White will always be listed as a WR. There is no rule about when the WR can lineup at QB as long as he was listed gameday as WR. If this is the case, it would only cause them to roster 2 QBs.
:thumbup: He'll either be the second (unlikely) or they'll just have three QB's on their gameday (45 man roster). White's flexibility, for example, could allow them to carry one less ACTIVE WR then last year, or even one less RB. White is flexible enough to allow three active, GAMEDAY QB's!!ETA: You can carry five or six QB's on your active gameday roster if you want, and play all six of them. This is one of the more misunderstood rules in football.

Jason Wood said:
He'll make Henne a stronger QB too. This move is good for the team. I figure White will lose and be a good slash/wildcat QB but I wouldn't be surprised if he won. The kid hasa lot of fight in him. Henne's in for a fight.
I'm sure the 6-3 230 pound Henne would crush the 6-0 197 pound weakling White on and off the field.

Jason Wood said:
I'm sure the 6-3 230 pound Henne would crush the 6-0 197 pound weakling White on and off the field.
:rant:

Dolphins | White continues to struggle

Comment (0)

Sat, 13 Jun 2009 15:19:18 -0700

Brian Biggane, of the Palm Beach Post, reports Miami Dolphins QB Pat White continued to struggle with his accuracy during practice Saturday, June 13.

Users who are viewing this thread