What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pat White to compete for Dolphins QB job (1 Viewer)

What guy on an NFL roster isn't 'competing to be a starter?'
Gibran Hamdan was born to be the third QB.
Have you ever seen him really play?He's probably Buffalo's best QB in many ways.He might be more reminiscent of Cleo Lemon than some stud like Joe Montana but he's got all the intangibles. IMO Losman and Edwards have arms but little else. I prefer the former.One day he might have a Lemon-esque brief spurt of popularity but then he'll be replaced for a big arm again too.

Link

- White continued to struggle throwing the ball.

He hit the cross bar on one pass during red zone, threw an interception to Jason Allen (who went up and snagged the ball while covering Armstrong), suffered a batted-down pass by rookie NT Lou Ellis and was so off on a throw into the corner of the end zone that was that it bounced off Parcells’ golf cart.
ouch

Four sentences later:

Sparano said White is improving every day. “Every day he’s getting a little bit better at something,” Sparano said, adding White “throws a pretty accurate deep ball.”

Four sentences later:

Sparano said White is improving every day. “Every day he’s getting a little bit better at something,” Sparano said, adding White “throws a pretty accurate deep ball.”
So we have specific examples of poor play and we have a coach talking about a rookie QB in an OTA?

Has anyone selected him in early fantasy drafts yet? I can't imagine a roster being large enough for me to carry him.

Has anyone selected him in early fantasy drafts yet? I can't imagine a roster being large enough for me to carry him.
If not end of roster, early WW pickup due to the Wildcat.Sanchez stunk today too and Daunte was playing better than Stafford last I looked. They're rooks and it's early.I expect him to be infused excitement and Pennington to be the QB of the slow steady offense that Parcells teams have often done in the past to control the clock.

So much for the Pat White experiment:

Pat White's play so far in camp has "bordered on awful," according to Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post.

Volin suggests that the Dolphins need to cut White so he stops taking reps away from the other quarterbacks. Last year's second-round pick is doing nothing to show coaches that they should carry him as a fourth quarterback this season.

Source: Palm Beach Post

So much for the Pat White experiment:Pat White's play so far in camp has "bordered on awful," according to Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post.Volin suggests that the Dolphins need to cut White so he stops taking reps away from the other quarterbacks. Last year's second-round pick is doing nothing to show coaches that they should carry him as a fourth quarterback this season.Source: Palm Beach Post
Yea, I was surprised to read this today. Everything about the off-season has been so positive for him, very strange.

So much for the Pat White experiment:Pat White's play so far in camp has "bordered on awful," according to Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post.Volin suggests that the Dolphins need to cut White so he stops taking reps away from the other quarterbacks. Last year's second-round pick is doing nothing to show coaches that they should carry him as a fourth quarterback this season.Source: Palm Beach Post
That does seem weird. I thought a month ago there was a comment posted where someione was calling him the most improved player since last year. I guess I will take the positice comments earlier and the negative comments now and cacel them out against each other. I will consider him no more better or worse than where he was at after last season.

That was R-Dub. He probably just smoked up with Pat.

The OP is a good example of just how misleading these offseason puff pieces can be.

Truth is, Miami needs to settle the QB position for the next x amount of years. Pennington is here for 1 more year, and then it is going to be Henne's turn. Still, we need another guy, and Pat White is no slouch when it comes to throwing the ball. Also, he is not going to be a clipboard only guy (as the usual #3 QB is) b/c he will be in the wildcat. In any case, I still think the preseason snaps look something like this: Pennington will get about a series in PS game 1, a quarter in game 2, and a half in game 3 (maybe 1 series in the first quarter). Henne will see all of the rest of the time other than the wildcat formation which will be white. Whit may get some 4th quarter work under center, but it is nice to have options under center for a change rather than an empty cupboard...
So does this mean that White will be the QB2, at least in name? Will Henne be the emergency QB on game days? Seems like a good way to save a roster spot. OTOH, it would put Miami in a bind if Pennington is ever questionable or doubtful for a game.
Isnt there some rule about QB1, 2, 3, and reserve on game days?EDIT:
» NFL'S "third-quarterback" rule -- sometimes misunderstood: Seventeen years ago (1991) the third-quarterback rule was instituted to enable teams to have an emergency quarterback available who was not on the 45-man game-day active roster, since many teams, for strategic purposes, only carried two quarterbacks on their game-day roster.Everybody thinks they understand the NFL's "third-quarterback" rule. But do they?The rule states that if a third quarterback is inserted before the fourth quarter, a team's first two quarterbacks cannot be used in the game at any position.Another aspect of the rule is sometimes misunderstood. It is a coach's decision as to whether a third quarterback will be used.The active quarterbacks do not have to be injured for a team to use its third quarterback.
Talking to myself here, it makes me think White will always be listed as a WR. There is no rule about when the WR can lineup at QB as long as he was listed gameday as WR. If this is the case, it would only cause them to roster 2 QBs.
I might be misreading what you mean, but if not, the rule doesn't work the way I think you're suggesting.You can have as many QBs as part of your 45 man roster as you want. The only time the emergency QB rule comes into play is if you want to have 46 players active, in which case the 46th player is designated as a QB and you also must designate two players from your active 45 as QBs, who are impacted by the emergency QB rules if that 46th player enters the game before the 4th quarter.So they would have 3 main options:1. Have all 3 of them as active members of the 45 man roster, in which case they don't designate anyone as QBs or emergency QBs. They can all enter and leave the game without restriction.2. Have Pennington and White as the 1st and 2nd QBs, and Henne as the emergency. If Henne enters before the 4th quarter, neither Pennington nor White can play the rest of the game.3. Have Pennington as the 1st QB, have some other player like a punter as the 2nd QB, and have Henne as the emergency QB. If Henne enters before the 4th quarter, Pennington and the punter can't play, but White and Henne both can. But, if that happens you lose your punter. White isn't named as one of the first 2 QBs, but his position can still be a QB. The thing is that someone else must also be called a QB so they can be the 2nd QB.So naming White a WR doesn't really help much. If you want to take advantage of the 46th roster spot you still must specify someone as a 2nd QB, even if they are not. The only way it helps to not name White as the 2nd QB is if you'd rather keep him active no matter what but have some other player you are willing to lose instead of him should you want to bring in your emergency QB, Henne.

So much for the Pat White experiment:Pat White's play so far in camp has "bordered on awful," according to Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post.Volin suggests that the Dolphins need to cut White so he stops taking reps away from the other quarterbacks. Last year's second-round pick is doing nothing to show coaches that they should carry him as a fourth quarterback this season.
Vic Carucci also said (on NFL Total Access) he expects the Fins to cut White.He added that Parcells never really wanted to draft him, which I found strange.

Users who are viewing this thread