What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SSL 1 Teams and Discussion (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
I guess we can start ripping on each other in here.

I really like Fro's pick of LT in the 1st, he was #1 overall on my board, see a huge bounce back year for the future HoFer...maybe its pure optimism but I really like that pick. Eager to see what he does form here.

I'd love to rip into Aaron but he made a nice tandem pick on the turn with Portis and MB III, he should have some very steady production from his backfield which will come in very handy.

BSS...we'll talk in a few rounds. I am not thrilled with the guys you took so far but I also respect you from playing against you so many times that usually by the end of your draft it starts to all make sense. But boy am I glad you had 2 picks out of the 8 behind me on the turn.

I guess we can start ripping on each other in here. I really like Fro's pick of LT in the 1st, he was #1 overall on my board, see a huge bounce back year for the future HoFer...maybe its pure optimism but I really like that pick. Eager to see what he does form here. I'd love to rip into Aaron but he made a nice tandem pick on the turn with Portis and MB III, he should have some very steady production from his backfield which will come in very handy. BSS...we'll talk in a few rounds. I am not thrilled with the guys you took so far but I also respect you from playing against you so many times that usually by the end of your draft it starts to all make sense. But boy am I glad you had 2 picks out of the 8 behind me on the turn.
LOLwhy wait? Slaton - who is going to take touches away from him? Christine Brown? Clear #1 RB on a great offense and catches passes. 16 268 1282 4.8 9 50 377 7.5 1 226 78a back who had a ypc of 4.8 and has 50 catches??? has no competition and will likely only get better Westy? no thanks. his best years are behind himGore?MB3? Portis? Calvin vs. Colston - this isnt dynasty. he is agreat talent and my hate for all things lions probably got the best of me, but look at these stats:week 13 6 106 0 10.6 week 14 3 26 0 2.6 week 15 6 84 1 14.4 week 16 9 99 2 21.9 week 17 7 123 1 18.3 Once back from injury he resumed his spot as the #1 option in saints land. No worries

Last edited by a moderator:
Calvin in only year 2...78/1,300/12 TDs...looks pretty good. I give you the PPR edge to Colston, he can catch 100 balls in that offense as long as he stays healthy. 12 starts in 2006, 14 in 2007, and 6 in 2008...little bit of an injury risk there as he has missed parts of all 3 seasons in the league.

curious debate, but I will have to weigh in on the BSS side.....sorry Sean.........Slaton is in a great offense which will be even better if Schaub can stay on the field all year - no Sage to back him up.....but the only ones who don't like the Slaton pick are those who wanted to draft him themselves or the ADP maniacs.

Colston v Calvin - could go either way, but slight edge in redraft for Colston and the Cool Brees slinging balls out of the Saints backfield...............

So far I like what I've got (MJD, Boldin & Bowe), but I was hoping that Welker would make it to me @ 2.16.

I briefly considered TE or QB at one of these spots, but everytime I've tried that I felt like I was playing catch up on RBs & WRs up until around the 10th or 11th round.

Curious to see how Rudnicki backs up the 2 RBs he took in the 1st & 2nd.

OK, I'll give it a shot, especially since none of you guys know where I live, LOL.

Steel Dillo - (what does that refer to anyway, is it an armadillo or something from that movie Seven with Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt?)

MJD is an obvious stud, but with the loss of Fred Taylor, there really isn't much talent behind him at RB. Great some might say but now the D coordinators can focus on him in the game planning. Holt is a future HOF player but having seen him play the last few years, he has lost some of his sharpness. He is not a bowl over receiver or lightning fast, he needs the cuts and the creation of a step or two on the DB. The tackles should be upgraded but interior of line is suspect still so unless there is a change, Garrard may need a back to catch the blitz, especially with young tackles in place if that occurs. Can MJD handle an increase in playcount? Can Jacksonville's passing game keep D honest enough to give him some gaps? He is a sure early first rounder but there are things Jax needs to do.

Boldin is unhappy and looking to be traded. That can happen at any time still. I think he was underutilized but when you have Fitz on field too, well, hard to outshine that star. I would like to see him go to Seattle or someplace with a strong 1A but I think he has priced himself out of that market.

Bowe, another great pick, he is an emerging talent and I don't think we have seen his best year yet, but with KC still restructuring and a new QB (presumably), the loss of Gonzo, and the lack of depth behind Johnson in the running game... I like him here, probably better than Boldin. Not sure if these two as WR1 and WR2 are worth the risk of a weak RB2.

Thom Yorke - don't ask why cause I don't know, but I think that is a cool name. May have to use it for my next dog.

AD - a stud and the possible emergence of a passing game in Minn will certainly help open up the field for him. There is the underrecognized threat of Chester who is really a decent back, maybe the rich man's Dominic Rhodes. I know this has been touched upon, but AD has seen some mileage early in his career. After that record game (what was it, half a mile rushing yards in a single game?), he seemed to let down a touch. I want him to succeed but that story of him wanting to put on weight seemed odd. Hopefully, he is not at odds with the coaching staff over that. He is an early first for sure and I like him to do well.

Brandon Jacobs - I underestimate the guy every year and was going to draft him if he made it to 3.04. Sure there is Bradshaw, but the loss of Plaxico may really bring in the passing game and as much as Eli has done, I always underestimate him as well. I think the Giants will rely on Jacobs to move chains and cross the line. He is more durable than many big backs so far, so good pick. In a PPR though, Bowe or Marshall may have been a better pick.

TJ - my perennial target, but not this year. Hasselbeck has lost his zest and I don't see TJ getting the space in Seattle (despite the Space Needle being there) that he enjoyed with 85 on the field. Also, Seattle tends to balance their attack more and I can't remember them being a high scoring offense. This is the year I see as TJ reverting to the mean.

dpeease - another id I can't figure out, it is like being behind a car trying to read the license plate just to realize it is the randomly generated state plate number.

SJax - one of my keepers on my dynasty league and given where I place him (on my weekly roster when he is healthy), he has disappointed since his career year. Guy is actually a very nice person, huge and athletic. Just stuck on a team with a crap line that depended on Pace years after he was last able to touch his toes. If Bulger can stay healthy and there is a deep threat (is there?) he will succeed based on touches alone, if his groin doesn't flare up again. I guess I have been burned enough to be leary of him and St Louis in general, even though I live just a couple hours away. No threat to his playing time except injury.

Peyton - will he do as well this year as he did when everything was clicking? Marvin was a big part of that O and Wayne suffers from the added coverage. I think Peyton will do well but relying on Clark more than Gonzales as the #2. I don't think Peyton is a second round pick this year in this format.

Brandon Marshall, if Cutler was still there, I would have been ecstatic to get him here. Who knows with a)his behavior and b) the new QB who is yet to be named. There is some challenge, and if the running game re-emerges, Marshall could see a big drop in production.

These are great players during their career years, I just don't see this as being that career year.

Steel Dillo - (what does that refer to anyway, is it an armadillo or something from that movie Seven with Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt?)
The name has a pretty boring origin. I'm a Steelers fan living in Texas and since the armadillo is the unofficial mascot of the state... Steel Dillo seemed appropriate. Sometimes I wish I would have gone with with my 2nd choice, but June Cleaver's Sticky Underpants is to long to type & would have probably gotten me a time out.

Duckboy - Turner is a stud, another keeper in my dynasty that I held for two years in San Diego. I see Atlanta doing very well and gunning for a playoff victory this year. He is thick, fast and has a nose for the endzone. I projected 1600 and 16 for last year and was mocked. This year, I see close on the TD total but fewer yards due to fewer attempts. Norwood and Gonzo, White, etc will give Ryan a chance to be less conservative and try to open up a bit. I would like to see Turner have a slightly lesser role on a personal note because I want to watch him play for four or five more years. Hard to do as the plow oxen. Downside for this draft is the lack of receptions.

Welker is PPR money and with the return of Brady, may see the endzone a bit more. Running game is still the weaker half of the NE O, so Welker should continue to be a 5 reception/game average player with a smattering of TDs. The low TD production is his weakness.

Bush, injury risk, somewhat disappointing production, emergence of several targets in the air game, and steadiness of Thomas as a Deuce replacement. I put Bush on my "like him but will go too high" list. I hope he produces because I like to drink Diet Pepsi and he is a highlight reel in action. I am not sure I would take him as my RB2. High risk, med-high reward.

Thom Yorke - don't ask why cause I don't know, but I think that is a cool name. May have to use it for my next dog.AD - a stud and the possible emergence of a passing game in Minn will certainly help open up the field for him. There is the underrecognized threat of Chester who is really a decent back, maybe the rich man's Dominic Rhodes. I know this has been touched upon, but AD has seen some mileage early in his career. After that record game (what was it, half a mile rushing yards in a single game?), he seemed to let down a touch. I want him to succeed but that story of him wanting to put on weight seemed odd. Hopefully, he is not at odds with the coaching staff over that. He is an early first for sure and I like him to do well.Brandon Jacobs - I underestimate the guy every year and was going to draft him if he made it to 3.04. Sure there is Bradshaw, but the loss of Plaxico may really bring in the passing game and as much as Eli has done, I always underestimate him as well. I think the Giants will rely on Jacobs to move chains and cross the line. He is more durable than many big backs so far, so good pick. In a PPR though, Bowe or Marshall may have been a better pick.TJ - my perennial target, but not this year. Hasselbeck has lost his zest and I don't see TJ getting the space in Seattle (despite the Space Needle being there) that he enjoyed with 85 on the field. Also, Seattle tends to balance their attack more and I can't remember them being a high scoring offense. This is the year I see as TJ reverting to the mean.
I toyed with Bowe at 2.15, but I have TJ higher on my board, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to lock down my RB situation with a stud combo of Peterson/Jacobs. Ordinarily, I'd prefer Marshall as well, but his uncertainty re: possible suspension scares me off, not to mention the Cutler departure. I think rumors of Hasselbeck's demise have been greatly exaggerated, and expect Housh to be a PPR monster. Thanks for the review.

Thom Yorke - don't ask why cause I don't know, but I think that is a cool name. May have to use it for my next dog.AD - a stud and the possible emergence of a passing game in Minn will certainly help open up the field for him. There is the underrecognized threat of Chester who is really a decent back, maybe the rich man's Dominic Rhodes. I know this has been touched upon, but AD has seen some mileage early in his career. After that record game (what was it, half a mile rushing yards in a single game?), he seemed to let down a touch. I want him to succeed but that story of him wanting to put on weight seemed odd. Hopefully, he is not at odds with the coaching staff over that. He is an early first for sure and I like him to do well.Brandon Jacobs - I underestimate the guy every year and was going to draft him if he made it to 3.04. Sure there is Bradshaw, but the loss of Plaxico may really bring in the passing game and as much as Eli has done, I always underestimate him as well. I think the Giants will rely on Jacobs to move chains and cross the line. He is more durable than many big backs so far, so good pick. In a PPR though, Bowe or Marshall may have been a better pick.TJ - my perennial target, but not this year. Hasselbeck has lost his zest and I don't see TJ getting the space in Seattle (despite the Space Needle being there) that he enjoyed with 85 on the field. Also, Seattle tends to balance their attack more and I can't remember them being a high scoring offense. This is the year I see as TJ reverting to the mean.
I toyed with Bowe at 2.15, but I have TJ higher on my board, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to lock down my RB situation with a stud combo of Peterson/Jacobs. Ordinarily, I'd prefer Marshall as well, but his uncertainty re: possible suspension scares me off, not to mention the Cutler departure. I think rumors of Hasselbeck's demise have been greatly exaggerated, and expect Housh to be a PPR monster. Thanks for the review.
LOL, isn't that a paraphrase of a Churchill quote? One barometer of a player losing his edge is endorsements and Hasselbeck has been on the EAS commercials for two years. I really respect TJ, especially that he stayed cool in Cincinatti. A true professional in my eyes.

QB - Mcnabb

RB - Westbrook

WR - 85

TE - Witten

Going into this draft I was targetting Witten and Mcnabb and hoping 85 would fall. Westbrook falling was interesting and made Witten an option. If 85 hadn't been there I would have been up a creek. I think McNabb is going to have a good year. His former WR1 is now 4th or 5th on the depth chart. Losing both McNabb and Westbrook in week 4 will be tough and limits future draft options. Fortunately there still will be 13 teams left. Between Westie and McNabb I'll have good production from one of them each week.

Obviously I'm lagging at RB and WR now. Don't see that much drop off from here to my next two picks however, especially at RB.

Fine, I'll start the full frontal assault...

Steel...there is no way MJD will finish the year as the #1 RB in FF or even give you a VBD score close to 100, or maybe I'm just still bitter over last year's finale.

Dpease...ever read a medical history report? Good Luck with SJax, the LT they drafted helps the passing game, not the running game.

Duckboy...Turner at #5 in a PPR league? Talk about chasing last year's stats...380+ carries including the playoffs maybe about 400 touches...how do RBs do the year after usually?

Glumpy...where do I start? You took a RB that won't come close to last year's numbers which is why he fell to begin with for most of this crew, a WR that has a fairly horrific QB(sorry Aaron) throwing him the football in the arctic tundra of Buffalo, then you went and grabbed a guy who is having a fairly severe injury right now and so far is a one hit wonder in Lance Moore, again we see someone chasing last year's stats. I hate to point it out but not everyone will duplicate last year's numbers. Some of these picks are going to look shocking when we get into week 3 and Lance Moore is a good candidate for that IMO...taking a WR2 on their own team in the middle of the 3rd, OK I'll stop. I like Glumpy so it ain't personal.

EBF...apparently going with a Shoot n Catch style offense

BSS...Slaton, Colston, Warner..."Yes Alex, what are 3 candidates likely to miss at least part of some action this year"

Aaron...Rivers and Bryant on the turn, what are the odds they duplicate those numbers from a year ago or higher? I would bet the under on both of them.

OK, that should get a few folks jawing...I kid though, most of the teams look nice thru 3 rounds except everyone I just mentioned

Holy bye weeks Batman! My last three picks all have week five byes. Normally I wouldn't allow this to happen, but I felt these guys were easily the best players left at their positions.

2.06 - TE Antonio Gates (5)

3.11 - QB Aaron Rodgers (5)

4.06 - RB Pierre Thomas (5)

Pierre is shaping up to be a steal in redraft leagues. Even if Reggie is healthy, he could get double digits almost every week in PPR.

Now I just need some good backups.

I'll try to get to all the round 1-3 picks but this is moving fast. Refreshing to see a draft that is not RB RB WR WR by half the teams.

Reaper - A cool name that strongly suggests the presence of at least four tattoos. For the record though, I hate tattoos for decorative purposes, but I have seen some cool ones. I grew up in a time and place where tattoos were earned and decent women never had ink. I am getting old and yes, I recognize some very nice women have tattoos. How did I get on this track???

Fitz - The guy is a star and the disgruntlement of Boldin should play well for him, as long as Boldin stays in AZ. Without Boldin, Fitz loses some of the distraction that was there. It is why I think Housh did so well in Cin and Seattle doesn't bode as well for him. Warner has the starting spot right now, but someone remind of his contract status. Isn't he on his last year? I thought there was a restructuring or more money or something, but I got the impression that AZ wants Leinart to (eventually) play. Otherwise, they have a very expensive clipboard holder. What do you say though, the guy is a first rounder in a PPR as long as the points faucet is turned on in AZ. Can't say there was anyone of drastically better value.

Jennings - guy has become Erin Rodgers go to guy (LOL) and Driver seemed to fall out of favor despite being a warrior. So far, two guys in passing intensive offenses who get the majority of targets and scored well last year. No problem so far... Oh, what's that? there are other positions beside WR?

Well, to redeem himself, Reaper grabbed Ronnie Brown who had a phenomenal LT-like game last year. But... he seems to be out of favor with management, Miami O seems to really be struggling and Ricky has not been arrested or tested positive so far this year. Will Ronnie be the 1A in this backfield? I think so, but Miami seems flaky to me and wasn't there questions at the draft when Ronnie was picked about the mileage on him even from college? Last year, he seemed to play fresh during the second half so maybe he just needed a couple naps. Ronnie is about as low as I would feel comfortable going for my RB1. He was one of the few players with character in that draft, so I am pulling for him.

I'll try to get to all the round 1-3 picks but this is moving fast. Refreshing to see a draft that is not RB RB WR WR by half the teams.Reaper - A cool name that strongly suggests the presence of at least four tattoos. For the record though, I hate tattoos for decorative purposes, but I have seen some cool ones. I grew up in a time and place where tattoos were earned and decent women never had ink. I am getting old and yes, I recognize some very nice women have tattoos. How did I get on this track???Fitz - The guy is a star and the disgruntlement of Boldin should play well for him, as long as Boldin stays in AZ. Without Boldin, Fitz loses some of the distraction that was there. It is why I think Housh did so well in Cin and Seattle doesn't bode as well for him. Warner has the starting spot right now, but someone remind of his contract status. Isn't he on his last year? I thought there was a restructuring or more money or something, but I got the impression that AZ wants Leinart to (eventually) play. Otherwise, they have a very expensive clipboard holder. What do you say though, the guy is a first rounder in a PPR as long as the points faucet is turned on in AZ. Can't say there was anyone of drastically better value.Jennings - guy has become Erin Rodgers go to guy (LOL) and Driver seemed to fall out of favor despite being a warrior. So far, two guys in passing intensive offenses who get the majority of targets and scored well last year. No problem so far... Oh, what's that? there are other positions beside WR?Well, to redeem himself, Reaper grabbed Ronnie Brown who had a phenomenal LT-like game last year. But... he seems to be out of favor with management, Miami O seems to really be struggling and Ricky has not been arrested or tested positive so far this year. Will Ronnie be the 1A in this backfield? I think so, but Miami seems flaky to me and wasn't there questions at the draft when Ronnie was picked about the mileage on him even from college? Last year, he seemed to play fresh during the second half so maybe he just needed a couple naps. Ronnie is about as low as I would feel comfortable going for my RB1. He was one of the few players with character in that draft, so I am pulling for him.
No Tattoos... Though I might get a Mark Sanchez tattoo one day. My uncle was the drummer for Blue Oyster Cult so I got the nickname in college and reaper had some kind of devious, sneaky meaning I suppose but, I don't see it... ;) I went back and forth between Fitz and LT, I agree with those that expect a bounce back from LT. Heck, he was about 30 points off the top pace last year in what seemed like a down, injury year for the guy - :Already talking myself out of Fitz:.... Overall in these things though I like to get 2 real good WR's and feel that 1/2 tier gets snapped up quickly so, I walked away with 2 of the better WR's then went fishing for RB's... A lot depends on draft slot - I also feel that we all pretty much know value in these things, it comes down to a lot more what you can get later over what you're picking now and I thought I could fill other spots better over WR... Also The SSL is 18 rounds instead of 20, so, you really can't have that deep of a committee at WR, I'd rather be stronger up top and fill in the rest later where I think there will be a lot to choose from. Dropping down to 18 rounds also leaves mostly more Wr's for later IMO.I don't agree that Ronnie Brown has fallen out of favor - I've been saying this about Parcells since I saw him in a candid local interview when he left Dallas. He stated matter of factly that he changed his feelings on RB's and feels this league is one in which RB's are disposable and not a place to spend a good deal of the cap - If he has weapons and an OL, he can find a RB.... So, all along I never thought Ronnie Brown would see a Mega contact - They will use him up though for all he's got. It was surprising to me he did so well last year coming off injury - this year healthier with a better OL, who knows - tougher schedule as well..Ryan Grant seems to be a polarizing player right now to rank... On 1 hand, he also had injury problems, hold out issue??, and an OL in flux and still put up 1200 yards. On the other, there's a lot of voices out there looking for his replacement and don't consider him a dynamic enough back. He could certainly use more receptions - I rolled the dice on this guy in a few of these things and he seems to be slipping in drafts... I hope he's not my "Chris Brown RB HOU" pick from last year.We shall see.

Schaub

MJD

Stewart

Boldin

Bowe

All these guys except Bowe missed games or had dings last year. If they can stay on the field, I think I've got a good start.

Just to show I am fair and willing to self-flagellate like a good Lutheran, I am going to post and critique my team as well, I might even throw in some psycho-analysis, leaving my mother out of this (sorry Freud).

QB Tom Brady NE (8)

RB Chris Johnson Tenn (7)

WR Santonio Holmes Pitt (8)

TE Dallas Clark Ind (6)

OK, there are only four rounds so far, but all in all it is a fair to good start in a PPR. Brady is by all reports 100% and Cassel was traded, suggesting that Kraft and his employees are comfortable with the return of the annointed one. Brady has all his weapons back that he used to extreme effectiveness two years ago in Moss and Welker. Whether Watson or some other TE comes along to assist in that regard, or there is a proliferation of Faulk-like backs that can catch out of the backfield, there is only upside (well maybe not 50+ TDs but he will be strong, a sure thing as long as he stays on the field, man last year hurt my team).

Johnson is the bell cow in Tennessee, despite Lendale being more bovine in nature and physique. It was clear last year that when Johnson produced, Tenn won and they will stay with that formula. I see him as being what Reggie Bush was hoped to be. Baring a return of Young at qb, which seems unlikely, Johnson should be well worth the first round pick, even at the fourth position. Should be a sure 12 pointer plus floor on his production every game. He might even score points on bye weeks he is so dominating.

Santonio is a safer pick than I was going to go with, but I wasn't aware there was a pending issue with chiba cigars. It doesn't sound like it is anything that will lead to a suspension, but it would bite to have to go without a high pick for a couple weeks. I saw Ward on the decline the first half of the year, but Ward came back in the second half, suggesting that between the solid running game and presence of Ward and Washington, that Ds won't be able to double Holmes. There is even a good receiving TE on Pitt, so Holmes should see some man coverage that he can beat. If Ben continues to develop, Holmes could develop into a Wayne type player, assuming Ward keeps up his Harrison like reliability. May not be the strongest pick for a WR1, but I am hopeful.

Clark will be the WR2 for all intents and purposes in Indy this year. Gonzales is not the next Wayne or the next Harrison. Wayne will take doubles and Manning showed that he was more than willing to throw the ball to Clark at all points of the field, including the endzone. Clark has been banged up a bit in the past, so there is an injury risk but with the scoring of this league, he is worth a third round pick.

I am satisfied, and feel safe at least through the first several weeks. We'll see though.

Just to show I am fair and willing to self-flagellate like a good Lutheran, I am going to post and critique my team as well, I might even throw in some psycho-analysis, leaving my mother out of this (sorry Freud).QB Tom Brady NE (8)RB Chris Johnson Tenn (7)WR Santonio Holmes Pitt (8)TE Dallas Clark Ind (6)OK, there are only four rounds so far, but all in all it is a fair to good start in a PPR. Brady is by all reports 100% and Cassel was traded, suggesting that Kraft and his employees are comfortable with the return of the annointed one. Brady has all his weapons back that he used to extreme effectiveness two years ago in Moss and Welker. Whether Watson or some other TE comes along to assist in that regard, or there is a proliferation of Faulk-like backs that can catch out of the backfield, there is only upside (well maybe not 50+ TDs but he will be strong, a sure thing as long as he stays on the field, man last year hurt my team).Johnson is the bell cow in Tennessee, despite Lendale being more bovine in nature and physique. It was clear last year that when Johnson produced, Tenn won and they will stay with that formula. I see him as being what Reggie Bush was hoped to be. Baring a return of Young at qb, which seems unlikely, Johnson should be well worth the first round pick, even at the fourth position. Should be a sure 12 pointer plus floor on his production every game. He might even score points on bye weeks he is so dominating.Santonio is a safer pick than I was going to go with, but I wasn't aware there was a pending issue with chiba cigars. It doesn't sound like it is anything that will lead to a suspension, but it would bite to have to go without a high pick for a couple weeks. I saw Ward on the decline the first half of the year, but Ward came back in the second half, suggesting that between the solid running game and presence of Ward and Washington, that Ds won't be able to double Holmes. There is even a good receiving TE on Pitt, so Holmes should see some man coverage that he can beat. If Ben continues to develop, Holmes could develop into a Wayne type player, assuming Ward keeps up his Harrison like reliability. May not be the strongest pick for a WR1, but I am hopeful.Clark will be the WR2 for all intents and purposes in Indy this year. Gonzales is not the next Wayne or the next Harrison. Wayne will take doubles and Manning showed that he was more than willing to throw the ball to Clark at all points of the field, including the endzone. Clark has been banged up a bit in the past, so there is an injury risk but with the scoring of this league, he is worth a third round pick.I am satisfied, and feel safe at least through the first several weeks. We'll see though.
Your WR1 is not the WR1 on his own team...last year I got Santonio Holmes hype to the point I couldn't even open a thread with his name on it, and what happened? OMG, Ward finished 15th and Homes and the hype finished 32 according to my numbers. And it hasn't changed yet, Ward is coming back...good luck though.

Fine, I'll start the full frontal assault...

Glumpy...where do I start? You took a RB that won't come close to last year's numbers which is why he fell to begin with for most of this crew, a WR that has a fairly horrific QB(sorry Aaron) throwing him the football in the arctic tundra of Buffalo, then you went and grabbed a guy who is having a fairly severe injury right now and so far is a one hit wonder in Lance Moore, again we see someone chasing last year's stats. I hate to point it out but not everyone will duplicate last year's numbers. Some of these picks are going to look shocking when we get into week 3 and Lance Moore is a good candidate for that IMO...taking a WR2 on their own team in the middle of the 3rd, OK I'll stop. I like Glumpy so it ain't personal.
OOOOHHhhh that Smarts! ;) lol. I mentioned during my last pick this morning how well the timing had been working for my turns; my schedule has pretty much allowed me to get online pretty close to pick time and that's it. So I really can't say I'm thrilled with all my picks either--but don't think it's All that bad....

DeAngelo--at that pick I was surprised to see him still available, since he'd gone much earlier in the WSL's and PDSL's. Considered LT and Slaton there--and Fitz as well. Any of them is a bet, so I went with the one I root for anyway. I think there's always a chance game-by-game that the scoring goes to Jonathan Stewart, but a piece of the Carolina running game is worth having in any case.

TO--so, you don't like his chances...well pthpthpthpthp. :D

I'm going for the upside with this one in a couple of these leagues, in hopes that he comes on with an attitude like he did the first year in Philly--trying to prove a point--and counting on Edwards being able to get the ball to him. Doesn't hurt my feelings either that he goes head-to-head with Moss twice, and might take that personally!

Lance Moore. Brain fart. I do like the guy, and don't think the weightlifting injury is so major--but could have waited on this one. Soon's I made the pick I had second thoughts--and wished instead I'd gone with....

LJ--real surprised he was still available at 4.10 and happy to get him there. That actually changed my plan though--I'd been looking at picking up Stewart at that juncture to lock down that aforementioned Carolina running game, and with a week 4 bye thought that double could be managable. Guess that was just not in the cards.

Still early in the game; we'll just have to see how it all shakes out.

:coffee:

LaDanian Tomlinson

Darrin McFadden

Braylon Edwards

Tony Gonzalez

These are the players I have drafted up to this point. I plan to grab some more players when it is my turn to select from the pool of available players. I will do my best to give my team an opportunity to not get knocked out. That's all I can say right now.

LaDanian TomlinsonDarrin McFaddenBraylon EdwardsTony GonzalezThese are the players I have drafted up to this point. I plan to grab some more players when it is my turn to select from the pool of available players. I will do my best to give my team an opportunity to not get knocked out. That's all I can say right now.
So what you're saying is that these are the players you have drafted to this point and that based on what is available in future rounds will dictate which players you select, but you definitely plan to have some more players on your roster in the future. Do I have that right?

LaDanian TomlinsonDarrin McFaddenBraylon EdwardsTony GonzalezThese are the players I have drafted up to this point. I plan to grab some more players when it is my turn to select from the pool of available players. I will do my best to give my team an opportunity to not get knocked out. That's all I can say right now.
So what you're saying is that these are the players you have drafted to this point and that based on what is available in future rounds will dictate which players you select, but you definitely plan to have some more players on your roster in the future. Do I have that right?
no comment

no comment
I see this team going places. Definitely going to have more players by the end of this draft.

:thumbup: :lmao: :banned: A starting RB with top 10 upside in the late 5th round = :banned:
Fixed - I think there is a lot of drinking whether Beanie Kool Aid or alcohol to think the Cardinals could have a Top 10 RB while Warner is still at QB..................when Leinart takes over, Whiz will definitely be a run first and run much more often team....not so much until then.

I have to make money and actually work the next few days but will try to continue some analysis.

Glumpy - loving the avatar by the way. Can't place it but have seen it before, maybe on FBG.com, LOL

Jay Cutler - New qb going to a team that couldn't put together an air attack for about a decade. Cutler should have no health issues due to his diabetes if he continues to take care of himself and has a decent local endocrinologist. Anyone know if he has had any minor complications? There was something about drinking on a thread somewhere. Does Cutler have drinking issues, cause that could be a sign of poor self-control and medication compliance is a big issue in diabetic control and poor control can lead to poor healing, fatigue, dehydration, etc. Do the Chicago WR offer what he needs to repeat his success with Marshall? Did he have success without Marshall? Hester has incredible speed but is he physically dominant like Marshall? I see Olsen as becoming his target of choice. Will the offensive coordinator allow Cutler to perform as needed to be a fantasy success? I would probably not want Cutller as my QB1 this year but he would be a strong qb2.

Larry Johnson - should be the bell cow and KC showed it has a strong WR but the loss of Gonzo may allow defenses to shadow LJ. He is a bit of a headcase but what option does KC have unless they are competing for the first pick next year. Alongside Deangelo, this is a strong backfield.

Deangelo Williams - complete stud and women should be lining to have his children. I think the presence of Foster allowed him to mature in the NFL to his (and mine in my keeper league) benefit. Stewart will cut into his production but also keep him healthy as Stewart is the battering ram.

Lance Moore - if his shoulder injury was minor and he comes back without complication, he should perform at 70% of his top performance, given that Colston is back, got to stop - business interruption

RedZone said:
Glumpy - loving the avatar by the way. Can't place it but have seen it before, maybe on FBG.com, LOL
Good memory! Pretty much reflects my attitude so I've kept it ever since the first day moving to these boards.

Aaron Rodgers

Pierre Thomas

Chris Wells

Reggie Wayne

Derrick Mason

Antonio Gates

Might as well call this one. Slaughter rule in effect.

QB Phil Rivers (5)

QB Chad Pennington (6)

RB Clinton Portis (8)

RB Marion Barber (6)

RB Willis McGahee (7)

RB Jerious Norwood (4)

WR Antonio Bryant (8)

WR Bernard Berrian (9)

WR Domenik Hixon (10)

WR Jordy Nelson (5)

TE Greg Olsen (5)

TE Vernon Davis (6)

PK Rob Bironas

DEF Indianapolis Colts

Aaron RodgersPierre ThomasChris WellsReggie WayneDerrick MasonAntonio GatesMight as well call this one. Slaughter rule in effect.
EBF, you have a QB that traditionally is injured all the time. He took a few snaps in 2007 for Favre in the GB/DAL game and broke his foot basically. I love how guys stay healthy for 1 season and we hand the keys off to them like they can just keep it going. I like Pierre Thomas but you can't believe he is on the topline with any of the top12 RBs. Chrissy Wells is another guy that can never stay healthy and now he is going to carry the rock 300 times in the NFL as a rookie? I doubt it. Wayne is OK but I am not as high on him as others. I have a bad feeling about Indy with the new coach, just a team that might change some this year. Mason is OK too but he is really old now and he has a very anemic passing game in Balt.Gates is great but you can only outscore other TEs by so much. I don't see where you haver a decided advantage over anyone at really any spot for that matter.

Aaron RodgersPierre ThomasChris WellsReggie WayneDerrick MasonAntonio GatesMight as well call this one. Slaughter rule in effect.
EBF, you have a QB that traditionally is injured all the time. He took a few snaps in 2007 for Favre in the GB/DAL game and broke his foot basically. I love how guys stay healthy for 1 season and we hand the keys off to them like they can just keep it going. I like Pierre Thomas but you can't believe he is on the topline with any of the top12 RBs. Chrissy Wells is another guy that can never stay healthy and now he is going to carry the rock 300 times in the NFL as a rookie? I doubt it. Wayne is OK but I am not as high on him as others. I have a bad feeling about Indy with the new coach, just a team that might change some this year. Mason is OK too but he is really old now and he has a very anemic passing game in Balt.Gates is great but you can only outscore other TEs by so much. I don't see where you haver a decided advantage over anyone at really any spot for that matter.
TE is the single most important position in these Survivor Leagues. A good one can massively outscore other TE's. In fact the top two or three usually outscore most every other player except around 1-3 RB and 1-3 WR's.

TE is the single most important position in these Survivor Leagues. A good one can massively outscore other TE's. In fact the top two or three usually outscore most every other player except around 1-3 RB and 1-3 WR's.
Except last year

I don't know where everyone has their TEs ranked but I had a bunch in that 50-70 catch range, 500-750 yds, and anywhere form 4-8TDs...I went to the finals last year with very littel at TE...I like a lot of TEs but I just wasn't willing to bite the bullet in order to acquire the majority of them. I do think Jason Witten has a chance this season to break all TE single season records because the Cowboys will not have TO but still have a lot of weapons and he is going to run roughshod over every defense he faces, if defenses do double team him then I think Dallas will make them pay with the backs out of the backfield.

Just my .02

Except last year
I don't have time to run the numbers right now but I'm pretty sure Gonzo owned SSL Scoring last year. Top Five or so, not counting QB's

Except last year
I don't have time to run the numbers right now but I'm pretty sure Gonzo owned SSL Scoring last year. Top Five or so, not counting QB's
Using last year's statistical rankings from a league with very similar scoring to these, I think Gonzo ranked 6th overall and 4 of the players ahead of him were QBs. The only non-QB ahead of him was Andre Johnson. Also, Witten ranked top-30 overall and was right around the same point total as Brandon Marshall (WR9) and Steve Slaton (RB6).

QB: McNabb

RB: Westbrook

WR: 85, Evans, Gonzalez

TE: Witten

RB could be dicey. Most everyone has two, I only have one stud. TE, I got the best. Three solid WRs and QB. Took a huge gamble on Gonzalez over Ward as a 2nd RB, we'll see how it plays out.

QB - Kurt Warner(4)

RB - Steve Slaton(10), Derrick Ward(8)

WR- Marques Colston(5), Roy Williams(6), Vincent Jackson(5)

like my start! BacktoBack

Except last year
OH FF, I wasn't implying the TE1 is not worth a fortune but there were not a lot of TE that lived up to billing last year was all I am implying.

I am going to load up my reviews thru the first 9 rounds. Someone last year got on me pretty hard because the teams were not finished yet but at this stage we ahve a pretty good idea what we can expect form most teams...I agree there can be a push for some but if you have a stinky team at the end of round 9, i doubt it looks a lot better in round 18.

I didn't take into account bye weeks so maybe some others can volunteer that info. Also I am going to post 1 team per post, not to take up space but to make it easier for the team owners to respond without having to highlight everything or cut and clip.

Steel Dillo:

1.01-MJD-RB: I cannot understand how you pass on Adrian Peterson. I understand MJD but to me he is pretty up and down. Yes, JAX didn’t really give him a lot of competition for the starting job but to me that isn’t a good enough reason to take him #1 overall.

2.16-A.Boldin-WR: Solid pick, looks like he is staying in AZ.

3.01-D.Bowe-WR: Went form 70 catches as a rookie to 86 last year. With a better QB hopefully under Center, you have to like his chances heading into 2009, his year 3 too.

4.16-J.Stewart-RB: Going ahead and taking a 2nd RB in the 1st 4 rounds, not a bad place to grab this guy. Has a chance for 1,000 yds and 10 TDs in this system.

5.01-M.Schaub-QB: The QB run was going to hit before he picked again at 6.16, so I understand wanting to get a QB. I like Schaub but he is part of a 2nd/3rd tier of QBs, not sure he should be the 9th QB coming off. Has not been able to stay healthy in both seasons as the starter in Houston.

6.16-D.Hester-WR: Love this pick as your WR3.

7.01-J.Shockey-TE: Gamble pick as he has fought injuries more times than not the past couple of seasons.

8.16-B.Quinn-QB: When was he introduced as the starting QB?

9.01-I.Bruce-WR: Problem here is that you have Crabtree, BJones, and also Morgan and Hill in the wings. No Mike Martz as the OC either so I see little upside and no return trip to the top25 like he posted a year ago.

Pretty good team so far but I really question the QB2 move in the 8th when that position isn't even settled in Cleveland yet.

Thom Yorke: Love the name

1.02-A.Peterson-RB: You actually got value at the 1.02

2.15-B.Jacobs-RB: I disagree with this pick. You have the advantage of ADP, the difference between Jacobs and some of the other RB tandems you could have put together in the 4th-8th rounds would have been a better idea. Jacobs also misses a lot of time. I don’t dislike Jacobs the player, love to watch him run but from a FF angle he is a bit of a gamble.

3.02-TJ Housh-WR: I don’t expect him to produce the same as he has in Cinci.

4.15-Owen Daniels-TE: I expect big things from him. He is almost a shoe in for 60-70+ balls, and you didn’t have to spend a 2nd on him. He would have never made it back around.

5.02-Hines Ward-WR: I am very into 30 something veteran WRs that move the chains. Ward will once again out produce Holmes who is taken a round earlier. Nice pick.

6.15-Matt Hasselbeck-QB: one of the last owners to take a QB, could be worse. I know a lot of people are down on Hass but I think the offense has a nice passing attack now with Housh(double dip points), Branch, and Carlson. Burleson coming back, should be efficient.

7.02-Eli Manning-QB: Good solid pick for the 17th QB off the board.

8.15-C.Chambers-WR: Option 4 in that offense. Not very high on him myself.

9.02-M.Muhammed-WR: See Hines Ward.

Dpease

1.03-S.Jackson-RB: Can he ever finish a year? I like him but he just has injury problems and he plays on that hard carpet in St Louis…I said when he was drafted he would be an injury risk and at this juncture my opinion has not changed.

2.14-P.Manning-QB: Solid but I don’t think you are getting any value with this pick.

3.03-B.Marshall-WR: They can’t all be good and Marshall is on my do not touch list for where has to be taken in the draft. I won’t be surprised if he is moved next off season.

4.14-D.Jackson-WR: I guess in 16 team leagues guys are going to go a little early…but this team had Curtis off with injuries last year, drafted Maclin, drafted McCoy, and I think DeSean will have a decent year but I don’t expect his numbers to go up from last year to justify this pick in the draft.

5.03-W.Parker-RB: With Mendy coming back will Parker be worth a lot? It’s an OK spot to grab him but I am not very high on him.

6.14-D.Driver-WR: Another 30+WR that catches a lot of balls and isn’t flashy, I like it.

7.03-H.Miller-TE: 12th TE off the board, good a spot as any.

8.14-L.McClain-RB: Looks like value in and around here.

9.03-J.Galloway-WR: Should have a couple of good games with so much talent opposite him. Pats signed Galloway and Taylor, both ancient and coming off injuries. Usually they don’t fare well but for some reason I am optimistic in NE that they both will do fairly well.

RedZone:

1.04-C.Johnson-RB: Great pick, can only build on what he did as a rookie. I think a safe pick too as TN is totally committed to the run.

2.13-T.Brady-QB: All signs point to him coming back 100% and he has a ton of weapons to work with.

3.04-D.Clark-TE: Dallas should see a lot of targets with Harrison out of the picture.

4.13-Santonio Holmes-WR: You will regret picking this guy to be your WR1. It’s nice that you have some anchors in the water with Brady and Clark but I have a feeling you are going to be hurting at WR.

5.04-T.Jones-RB: I like the pick here. Don’t care what they drafted they are going to need Jones. QB situation scares me a lot but that was used to your advantage. Problem here is I would have double dipped at the WR tier.

6.13-D.Avery-WR: I like Avery too but you have Holmes as your WR1…Holmes, Avery…you are not getting a lot of consistency there.

7.04-J.Lewis-RB: What was the upside of this pick? I again would not be getting my RB3 when I have Avery and Holmes at WR. There is some myth out there, where you can just throw a bunch of WR out there and you’ll be fine. I don’t dislike Lewis in a 16 team league in the 7th round but it has more to do with your overall team.

8.13-Deion Branch-WR: Again, another WR that has not posted 1,000 yards, or caught 80 balls, or scored anything close to double digit TDs…I have not rated the rest of the teams but you have some serious issues here.

9.04-Marc Bulger-QB: You need WRs badly and you go and get a QB2 when you already have Brady? How many starts will you get out of Bulger? Terrible pick at this point in your draft.

Duckboy

1.05-M.Turner-RB: The amount of touches he had last season scares me. The good news is they upgraded on offense, lost a lot on defense, so they have to score 24-30 points a week to win IMO, so he should be scoring a lot of TDs if nothing else.

2.12-Wes Welker-WR: Love the pick, safe bet for 90-100+ balls, outstanding.

3.05-R.Bush-RB: If he can stay healthy you have a steal right here.

4.12-J.Cotchery-WR: Bad QB situation but even a small dip in his numbers is not the end of the world. Coles leaving should counter balance it all though. Not a bad pick at all.

5.05-Santana Moss-WR: Good value almost 70 picks into the draft. Welker/Cotch/S.Moss is a nice solid 1-2-3 at WR.

6.12-D.Garrard-QB: Not everyone can have Drew Brees at QB so Garrard is part of a group of QBs that are simply alright.

7.05-D.Keller-TE: Now you might have a little too much of the NYJ pass attack.

8.12-J.Campbell-QB: Meh

9.05-Steve Smith-WR: Meh

Reaper

1.06-L.Fitzgerald-WR: Who is going to say that he is a bad pick?

2.11-G.Jennings-WR: Makes a dynamic WR2 for your team.

3.06-R.Brown-RB: I wanted him at the 3.12…love the pick. Very strong 1-2-3 to start the draft.

4.11-R.Grant-RB: he is going to be up and down but considering you waited on RBs till the 3rd round, he makes for a nice RB2 on this team.

5.06-M.Ryan-QB: I like him a lot this year. If he can progress, you might have some real value here.

6.11-Z.Miller-TE: Solid. Guy has a otn of upside if he can get some help out of his QB.

7.06-L.Washington-RB: Homer

8.11-A.Bradhsaw-RB: Like this pick a lot, almost took him myself but I didn’t want to fill my RB5 spot in the 8th/9th round. This makes me like the Washington pick a little more.

9.06-K.Collins-QB: Don’t like this pick. I know you have a nice 1-2 at WR, so do I but you must start 3 slots every week and I think you are going to have a group of WR4 on their own teams at the rate you are going.

Glumpy

1.07-D.Williams-RB: Could do worse in this spot. I don’t expect him to repeat his numbers and neither did the 6 who picked in front of you.

2.10-Terrell Owens-WR: He is on Buffalo now…fyi.

3.07-Lance Moore-WR: You’re lucky he fell this far, right?

4.10-L.Johnson-RB: Rumors have him being cut at some point…not a solid pick IMO.

5.07-J.Cutler-QB: I like Cutler but he does not have the WRs he had in Denver…but this is the best pick you made so far IMO.

6.10-M.Crabtree-WR: I can’t say I like this pick for redrafts in 2009…dynasty different story.

7.07-V.Shiancoe-TE: Meh

8.10-J.Russell-QB: You needed him? How many times will he start for you? Bye weeks might have come into play, not sure here.

9.07-D.Rhodes-RB: He is RB3 there when Lynch returns form suspension, no?

Users who are viewing this thread