What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MEMPHIS BBQFest > 2023 > 1 Month Away - $100,000 budget due to inflation! (2 Viewers)

Tipsy & Joe

Thoughts on this list I threw together? Where you wanting to hit/skip from this list?

DOWNTOWN AREA:

A&R BBQ (South Memphis / Downtown)

Cozy Corner (Downtown)

Rendezvous (Downtown)

Double J Smokehouse (Downtown)

Interstate BBQ (downtown)

Tom's BBQ (downtown/airport)

MIDTOWN/EAST MEMPHIS AREA:

Corky's BBQ (East Memphis)

Germantown Commissary (Germantown)

Central BBQ (Midtown)

Paynes BBQ (Midtown)

Leonards BBQ (East Memphis / HIckory Ridge)

BBQ Shop (Midtown)

Tops BBQ (East Memphis/Summer)

OUTLIERS: (20-30min drive)

Fat Larry's (Bartlett)

Memphis BBQ Company (Horn Lake, MS)
Cool. I'm still trying to juggle the schedule but would love to make it. It's funny in that most BBQ I've had there has been pretty average. I've only been to Jim Neely's and Germantown Commissary once but both were pretty average. I did enjoy Rendezvous but more for the spectacle of the experience with the waiters. Feels more like a fun steakhouse restaurant than a BBQ joint.

I was with some Memphis people this weekend and they raved about Fat Larry's being the best in town. Also said the Rib Cage on Pickwick was great. I would kind of like to hit Cozy Corner and Corky's just because they're famous.

But I'll let you be the guide, Icon. I'm good with what you recommend.

J
:thumbup: Fat Larry's is my go-to these days. It's located in a old converted house on Summer Avenue near Arlington. Their muddy ribs and brisket are tops in town, and unlike the Rendezvous, lunch is the best time to show up. If I could have only one BBQ plate in the city, though, it would be Cozy's ribs.
:thumbup: Keith knows BBQ. If he says Fat Larry's rocks, I'm down with that. Love the "muddy" ribs. That's the 2nd time now I've heard someone call those out by name. Great tag.J

Bad news... last minute cancellation by Kirk Smithhart for work reasons...

Good news... we picked up local slide legend Josh Roberts to sit in his place. :excited:

May have been covered, but are there Slab Yo Mama Memphis in May t-shirts available?
Might be able to set aside a few for those who want em. They are 20ea (very nice "fashion-fit triblend" quality shirt as stated earlier). Tack on 5 for shipping per order and I can probably hook a few folks. We printed 250 and we only have 80-90 available to the public after presales.

one year, i will make this event :beer:
You really should plan for it... I can assure you it is 100% worth the trip. Ride shotgun with Tipsy next year :thumbup: We will be flying Slab Flagsthis year. :lmao:
I literally had a dream about this last night and I pulled the whole "It's OK, I know Matt" thing as I just walked up and grabbed food
LMAO nice! Trailer is loaded into the spot.

Tipsy has bought the oysters.

We got 20 cases of beer donated from another bar to give the team a little something to drink durin load in on tues/wed.

Inquiring w landscaping buddy about getting a few of his messicans to handle load out labor on Sunday. :)

There is literally a 100% chance that I will either humiliate [icon] with drunkenness, pass out face down somewhere and get walked on all night, or die if I ever make it to this.

There is literally a 100% chance that I will either humiliate [icon] with drunkenness, pass out face down somewhere and get walked on all night, or die if I ever make it to this.
I am counting on it GB! Boarding at PBI. Tipsy is just outside Memphis. He's hitting interstate BBQ, Corky's, and Germantown commissary on the way in then meeting me at my place to offload the oysters and jambalaya supplies, then headed downtown to drop the Lang, then hitting rendezvous and then cozy corner downtown, followed possibly by Memphis BBQ company time/appetitie permitting. First snafu: load in trucker smashed into our water pump/plumbing so we need to repair that. Electrical was not delivered in the form promised but or electricians got it sorted out so we have juice as of 30 mins ago. Ready to land and get this show on the road....

In Memphis. Tipsy is passed out in my guest room. Poor guy ate so much BBQ today before I got in town that when we finally hit gus' world famous fried chicken tonight, he got most of a 40oz beer down and a leg before he got uncomfortable and had to throw in the towel.

His Lang is on the lot. The trailer is in place. Scaffold goes up first thing In the AM. We are running errands tomm to stock up on supplies then starting the main load In process tomm at 4pm at my place. Down to the river to set up by 6... Then the last quiet night before Wednesday....

Tipsy was giggling like a madman at the scope of this thing..... The scaffolding, the amazing cookers... How tightly Packed in everything is...

It's going to be a very... Very good week :)

yeah...i over did the food yesterday. i arrived in town @ 11am and went straight to Jim Neely's spot "Interstate Bar-B-Que". (terrible)I took on bite of their beef ribs and spit it out. And their world famous bbq pasta was not good at all. Then I had to make a stop @ the original Corky's on Poplar (not very good). Central BBQ near the university was the best stop of the day...their ribs were very well cooked, yet once again the sides were not well executed. After a short break under a tree (yes...i needed to nap in a really bad way) I made my way over to the Germantown Commissary for a light snack of a pork shoulder sandwich. (not good)

We tried to go to Rendezvous and Cozy Corner last night, but they were both closed, which I think was a blessing for my stomach. Instead we headed over to Gus' Famous Fried Chicken, and it was freaking good. Maybe a little too spicy for how I like my chicken, but it was fried perfectly.

I have one question so far: Does any restaurant in this area cut their own slaw? Or make beans from scratch? The sides up here are driving me crazy.

The site on the river for the bbq fest is unreal...and it isn't even close to being set up completely. This is gonna be ridiculous.

Just got back from downtown. Tipsy is back to chopping celery...(Shot from earlier today)... boatloads of prep involved in the massive batch of jambalaya he's got going.

Scaffolding getting started >

Scaffolding going Up >

Panoramic view from unfinished upper deck.

View of the sun setting over the Mississippi River from our second deck. Picture doesn't do it justice.... it's impressive.

We are the big dogs on the block...

I am going to get some sleep. Long ### day tomorrow....

Good times. :banned:

Should mention (belatedly) that anyone is welcome to visit our tent at R-096. It's on the walkway side without the sweet location of icon, and only one story, but in terms of actual cooking chops and fun times it's quite high on the list. :) I'd just need to know you're stopping by. I'll be bartending Friday from 8-??? so that's an especially good time to say hi. Our location is different this year so not sure how to describe, but again it's R-096 and the team name is Born in the Que S A.

tipsy, no place in Memphis has good sides, BBQ place or not. :(

Should mention (belatedly) that anyone is welcome to visit our tent at R-096. It's on the walkway side without the sweet location of icon, and only one story, but in terms of actual cooking chops and fun times it's quite high on the list. :) I'd just need to know you're stopping by. I'll be bartending Friday from 8-??? so that's an especially good time to say hi. Our location is different this year so not sure how to describe, but again it's R-096 and the team name is Born in the Que S A.tipsy, no place in Memphis has good sides, BBQ place or not. :(
:excited: I hadn't heard from ya! So glad you'll be down there. Looking forward to grabbin a beer!!!!

Can't sleep.... Brain won't quit rifling through #### that needs to be done tomorrow. Oh well. Good thing it's the "low key" night.....

Met a guy last night that is part of the Slab Yo' Momma BBQ team. He works in the sporting goods industry, and was out visiting Baltimore for a project his company is doing for my company. I mentioned that I knew some of the guys doing the Slab Yo' Momma thing, and he wanted to know their names. I could only come up with Tipsy's real name (and the fact that he is bringing a crap load of oysters). I don't know icon's name IRL, so PM me so I can get back to him today about it.

Met a guy last night that is part of the Slab Yo' Momma BBQ team. He works in the sporting goods industry, and was out visiting Baltimore for a project his company is doing for my company. I mentioned that I knew some of the guys doing the Slab Yo' Momma thing, and he wanted to know their names. I could only come up with Tipsy's real name (and the fact that he is bringing a crap load of oysters). I don't know icon's name IRL, so PM me so I can get back to him today about it.
That's is odd..... Possibly a wannabe team or may have different spelling? Team:http://www.slabyomamabbq.com/content/?cid=25&cat1=199&cat2=0&cat3=0&level=1&id=199

'[icon] said:
'The Z Machine said:
That's is odd..... Possibly a wannabe team or may have different spelling? Team:http://www.slabyomamabbq.com/content/?cid=25&cat1=199&cat2=0&cat3=0&level=1&id=199
Is that group different than yours? The dude's name is Ryan in case you meet him.

Are you kidding me?!?!?!

Went to friends and family night and was actually just about to leave--had to get back home to work some more :( and hoping for more fun later in the week, when suddenly I hear our team leader say "Krista, yeah over there". A lovely guy says, "I'm tipsy, from the footballguys forum". Actually it took me a second to figure out WTF he was talking about, but then when I did I was so excited! Even more so because he had brought oysters rockefeller and jambalaya. Somehow our Nazi leaders had determined that we had needed to wrap up all our food about 1/2 hour before, so we had finished all our food but EVERYONE made room for the oysters rockefeller that were quickly depleted, and we're saving the jambalaya for tomorrow.

Was just so cool of him to bring the food and stop by tonight, and totally unexpected. Much :wub: for that, and we'll see you over the next few days.

Are you kidding me?!?!?!Went to friends and family night and was actually just about to leave--had to get back home to work some more :( and hoping for more fun later in the week, when suddenly I hear our team leader say "Krista, yeah over there". A lovely guy says, "I'm tipsy, from the footballguys forum". Actually it took me a second to figure out WTF he was talking about, but then when I did I was so excited! Even more so because he had brought oysters rockefeller and jambalaya. Somehow our Nazi leaders had determined that we had needed to wrap up all our food about 1/2 hour before, so we had finished all our food but EVERYONE made room for the oysters rockefeller that were quickly depleted, and we're saving the jambalaya for tomorrow.Was just so cool of him to bring the food and stop by tonight, and totally unexpected. Much :wub: for that, and we'll see you over the next few days.
That's very cool.

Are you kidding me?!?!?!Went to friends and family night and was actually just about to leave--had to get back home to work some more :( and hoping for more fun later in the week, when suddenly I hear our team leader say "Krista, yeah over there". A lovely guy says, "I'm tipsy, from the footballguys forum". Actually it took me a second to figure out WTF he was talking about, but then when I did I was so excited! Even more so because he had brought oysters rockefeller and jambalaya. Somehow our Nazi leaders had determined that we had needed to wrap up all our food about 1/2 hour before, so we had finished all our food but EVERYONE made room for the oysters rockefeller that were quickly depleted, and we're saving the jambalaya for tomorrow.Was just so cool of him to bring the food and stop by tonight, and totally unexpected. Much :wub: for that, and we'll see you over the next few days.
That's very cool.
:goodposting: :thumbup:

3rd place beef... Cleaning up for judging today. Absolutely insane the last 2 days/nights.... Band made grown men weep.... Exceeded safety capacity of our scaffold by 50%... Had to close the door multiple times due to massive crowds. Several major sponsors want in next year. Tons of pics coming... But first, we must be judged.

Wish us luck!

GL to you guys. I had some issues that kept me from heading down there on Thursday (& missed hooking up with buddies from Atlanta, San Diego, & of course, you guys.) Hope you fare well!

:shock: We came in 14th in ribs. For those like me who think 14th sounds bad in any context, this is like saying you're the 14th best player in the NBA or NFL or somesuch. In the biggest BBQ competition in the world, being 14th in the most competitive division is an incredible result. Yowza, I'm amazed.

I noticed too that this year's Grand Champion, Yazoo's Delta Q (who also won Grand Champion two years ago and Whole Hog at least three years in a row), and the 1st in ribs this year, Natural Born Grillers, have a restaurant now. It's in Horn Lake about 20 minutes from downtown Memphis. Can't go soon as the hype will probably be insane, but after a couple of months we'll have to check it out.

:shock: We came in 14th in ribs. For those like me who think 14th sounds bad in any context, this is like saying you're the 14th best player in the NBA or NFL or somesuch. In the biggest BBQ competition in the world, being 14th in the most competitive division is an incredible result. Yowza, I'm amazed.

I noticed too that this year's Grand Champion, Yazoo's Delta Q (who also won Grand Champion two years ago and Whole Hog at least three years in a row), and the 1st in ribs this year, Natural Born Grillers, have a restaurant now. It's in Horn Lake about 20 minutes from downtown Memphis. Can't go soon as the hype will probably be insane, but after a couple of months we'll have to check it out.
Congrats!! That's too cool. Any pics of the ribs to share to make us all even more jealous?

That's awesome, k4! Congrats to you guys.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :excited: Congrats! Killer finish in Ribs!

More detailed recap coming tomorrow... to tired to mess with it now.

Here are some pics:

Gus' Fried Chicken Dinner for Tipsy and I Tuesday Night

Scaffolding going up >

Load in under way >

Scaffold up... banners up...bar in place... Tipsy surveying the scene >

View from the upper deck before laying carpet > Tuesday Night >

Another view from the upper deck during sunset Tuesday Night >

Oyster Rockefeller >

Tipsy's MEGA batch of Jambalaya (pics don't do it justice)

Oysters Chargrilling >

Daniel preparing to sneak a bite of the butts

Shirts are in! Hugely popular >

A few of us hanging out in a loft area we created between the two levels >

The Annual Slab Yo Mama "Rating of the BBQuties"

Bartenders having some fun >

Josh Roberts tuning up on the slab stage >

Band Jamming... had to close the tent off for a while due to capacity issues >

Sun setting while getting a drink >

Patrick Dodd singing, Josh Roberts playing lead guitar >

DJ Mike spinning. The scaffolding was shaking so badly due to crowds/dancing that drinks on bar were spilling >

Cool crowd shot onto the lower level while the DJ was spinning >

Trophies up on display

Pitmaster Courtney taste testing one of the competition turn in slabs

Decorating the booth for judging Day >

Glazing the competition Ribs >

145 degrees at floor level in our booth on saturday >

Tipsy's Lang Decorated for judging >

The judging table in our booth... quite the view...

Judges inside the tent...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just made it back home. I grossly underestimated the complete AWESOMENESS of what I was getting into. What a great week. Ill have more to discuss later...but i gotta play w my boys, get a shower, and pass the heck out.

Quick Notes:

Try to sleep next year. 1 hour for a 36 hour stretch was pretty dumb.

Don't accept a drink at every tent you visit during the overnight hours....Fireball Whiskey, Jager, beer, jello shots, and god knows what else DO NOT MIX WELL. Amazingly I still got pit fired & food going for competition that morning without even throwing up. :)

And Krista4...no fair being such a hottie when my wife is 400 miles away :)

Mad, mad, mad props to ICON for getting me to come up, house me, and let me eyeball his lady friend all week.

:banned:

Congrats!! That's too cool. Any pics of the ribs to share to make us all even more jealous?
Not the greatest pictures, but here are a couple of pics of the ribs just before judging: git 'er done and ready for judging.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :excited: Congrats! Killer finish in Ribs!
:thanks: Do you guys know where you finished in Ribs yet? Also huge props on the beef finish. I'm envious of the trophy!!!
Just made it back home. I grossly underestimated the complete AWESOMENESS of what I was getting into. What a great week. Ill have more to discuss later...but i gotta play w my boys, get a shower, and pass the heck out.

Quick Notes:

Try to sleep next year. 1 hour for a 36 hour stretch was pretty dumb.

Don't accept a drink at every tent you visit during the overnight hours....Fireball Whiskey, Jager, beer, jello shots, and god knows what else DO NOT MIX WELL. Amazingly I still got pit fired & food going for competition that morning without even throwing up. :)

And Krista4...no fair being such a hottie when my wife is 400 miles away :)

Mad, mad, mad props to ICON for getting me to come up, house me, and let me eyeball his lady friend all week.

:banned:
Yeah, notsomuch about me but I appreciate your kindness. It was great to see you! Next year we need to make sure [icon] stops by as well.

:thanks: Do you guys know where you finished in Ribs yet? Also huge props on the beef finish. I'm envious of the trophy!!!
27th. The 1st judge we had came back to let us know how we did with him and let us know then the team next on his list got 1 more point in their overall than us from him. He was the only judge I was worried about...the other two walked out kinda giddy. Said team that got one more point ended up in 2nd place i think...so put us in another grouping and we coulda..shoulda...woulda.... Still, 27th is in the top 15% ...which puts yall in the top 5%. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Did yall get any judge feedback? And how on earth did yall score that awesome spot for your tent. I want trees next year!!!Icon mentioned going to see yall a few times....not sure if you noticed the goings on in our tent ( you stopped by after our trophy win but i was a little distracted and am not totally sure of anything in that 3 hour period of jello shots and apple pie moonshine)...but that boy can host a banging party....made me feel almost young again :) Alas...I think it made him a little crazy trying to make everything perfect...which it was. He was stoked we at least got to meet.I stopped by this morning on my walk out ...but no K4. Just wanted to say bye and thanks for the food love!....did you notice what came in 1st for seafood? (i gave you one that was reportedly better by a mile...might have to enter that next year :) )

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Yeah I definitely get a little absorbed in the "attention to detail" and let it distract from my enjoyment. Wednesday was a ton of work. Thursday I finally got to really kick back and enjoy myself. Friday I did VERY little in the way of work (aside from early AM cleanup) and really focused on enjoying myself, which I did, immensely. Saturday was a good time as I always enjoy the ritual of the judging, and getting to snack on some ribs off the turn-in batches to see how we did.

Krista, very sorry I didn't make it by. I honestly only left our booth twice over the course of the festival... once was to go pick up extra 24hr bands and wed passes for some freinds, and then once was just to get OUT of there on wed (or was it thurs) night to relax a bit. Headed over to my buddies at Deez Butts (first time patio porkers) and then Pork Stars (Who took 5th in Ribs this year after taking 7th last year!) who are also a pretty fun (though much smaller) party tent.

For those who didn't make it... YET AGAIN I'll throw out the suggestion to start looking into hotels in December or January.... and make plans to come out for this event. It's something that you really need to see to understand. Granted, a lot of the experience is in the "behind the scenes" team stuff (which I'm glad Tipsy was able to experience), but in either case you will have one hell of a good time.... I can promise you that.

I tried uploading videos of the band last night but it wasn't working properly and frankly I was too tired to mess with it. I will try to get something online tonight before/after my softball game. They played a mix of originals and covers. One cover in particular had tipsy pretty stoked ("Jolene" by Ray LaMontagne).... which they flat out NAILED (like pretty much everything they played. Actually with all due respect to Ray, I think Patrick's voice is superior. Like many other things, you just really had to be there to get it... Truly was something special.

Not the greatest pictures, but here are a couple of pics of the ribs just before judging: git 'er done and ready for judging.
:wub: Those look amazing!

3rd place beef... Cleaning up for judging today. Absolutely insane the last 2 days/nights.... Band made grown men weep.... Exceeded safety capacity of our scaffold by 50%... Had to close the door multiple times due to massive crowds. Several major sponsors want in next year. Tons of pics coming... But first, we must be judged. Wish us luck!
Congrats...that is a great finish...

3rd place beef... Cleaning up for judging today. Absolutely insane the last 2 days/nights.... Band made grown men weep.... Exceeded safety capacity of our scaffold by 50%... Had to close the door multiple times due to massive crowds. Several major sponsors want in next year. Tons of pics coming... But first, we must be judged.

Wish us luck!

HEre's a short video of the guys playing a

. Not the best video and they had several songs that were MUCH better than this but be sure to check out the solo by Josh Roberts at the 5:00 mark... :shock: Video 2 : Blind Crippled & Crazy : Again apologies for the jerky footage and quality but it was tough to set up camp properly without getting jostled.

ICON - Does today feel like the day after the Super Bowl? You put a lot of effort in to pull this off.
Yeah, a little :lmao: We're already talking about ways to improve next year. Next year we're going to have labor to bring in everything and to carry everything out.Several sponsors are looking to increase funding:- Methodist Hospital is coming aboard as a sponsor. - Tipsy is talking about trying to bring aboard Zatarains- One of our main sponsors signed a ton of business during their private dinners and wants to up their contribution for 2013. - Another smaller sponsor (rich kid from VA Beach) who contributed $1000 last year wants to increase his donation substantially.- Scaffolding company (paid $3000) is talking about doing it bigger and better next year and maybe free to use it as a sales tool. - A major event producer (has brought in acts like Sasha & Digweed and Paul Oakenfold) wants in. Has said he's got a huge checkbook. We're talking about moving UP from a 24x50 spot to a 50x50 spot which would free up all sorts of space. I would personally like to see a budget of $30-40k next year. This would allow me all sorts of flexibility to really do this up right. Hire labor for load in and load out. Hire smoking hot bartenders instead of us having to work shifts. Less work, more fun. I'd like to work on getting Tipsy more involved in the turn ins.... ideally giving him at least 1 or 2 of his own categories to spearhead and earn credit for. Our guys wanted to turn in the same grits that earned us 2nd last year in seafood (understandably) but it was a poor batch. Oysters Rockerfeller took first and Tipsy had cranked out a STELLAR batch of those on Wednesday that would have surely earned him a walk (top 3 finish). There are tons of irons in the fire already. My goal is to not too involved in the planning for another 5-6 months....

'sbonomo said:
3rd place beef... Cleaning up for judging today. Absolutely insane the last 2 days/nights.... Band made grown men weep.... Exceeded safety capacity of our scaffold by 50%... Had to close the door multiple times due to massive crowds. Several major sponsors want in next year. Tons of pics coming... But first, we must be judged. Wish us luck!
:goodposting: enjoyed following this event. Would love to make it there some day.

Users who are viewing this thread