What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MEMPHIS BBQFest > 2023 > 1 Month Away - $100,000 budget due to inflation! (3 Viewers)

Great meeting last night. We are finalizing the team roster with a couple final additions of quality guys who will pull their weight and bring something to the table.

I've gotten some PMs about sponsorship and such... I guess i should clarify on that stuff;

GUESTS:
Guests are not required to put up anything financially or do any work. You guys are our guests and your only obligation is to eat drink and be merry. :) Many guests do make small donations to the team (ranges from $20 to $250) as a thanks for the hospitality but in no way is it required or even expected. We do ask that people tip the bartenders and the booze is all free but they usually work for tips :)

SPONSORS:
These parties are not cheap. We are budgeting for $20-25k for this years team. Sponsors usually support the majority of the teams activities. In exhange we provide great visibility at a massive festival (100k attendees) via banners, logos on cups/shirts/etc. Another way we support our sponsors is by entertaining them. Many times all they want is a banner and the ability to block off an area to talk business with 20-30 clients they are schmoozing. If the price is right we will do private catered luncheons, closing down the upper deck of the booth for your private use for a couple/few hours with food/drink included of course. We also handle park entry passes and other things like that.

Sponsorships range from our baby back level $1000ish for a few guests entry, food, drink,and a 2x3 banner in the booth... Up to our whole hog package at $10-15k which gets you tons of banners/branding displayed prominently out front of our booth (very visible to 100k attendees and likely to get on TV), logos on cups, shirts, koozies, plus a private catered luncheon, VIP seating for the durations of the festival, bottle service at those tables.. Etc etc.

We also have product sponsors like red bull, Lagunitas brewery, etc that supply us with great stuff for you guys to drink ;)

If anyone is interested in sponsorships along either lines feel free to shoot me a PM. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Set up a basic Fundly Donations Page for the Team

NOTE: FBG guests do NOT have to donate at ALL to come by, and Team Shirts at the booth will likely be $20-25. Haven't really started spreading the link around yet... will be deploying this more as we get closer to the event.

Any donations of any level are 100% optional. Just didn't want you guys to think this was a shakedown :lol:

Just heard back from the brass at Lagunitas Brewing and they're sounding almost as stoked as we are about it. Setting up a call next week to talk about what beers they can provide and hopefully some financial support as well. Fingers crossed.

We got our papers filed and have officially formed Usual Saucepects, LLC as a core company for McClure's Competition Barbecue. :thumbup:

Initial team dues ($300 of 400) due next week so we can get our check cut for the $4500ish required to lock in our slot at the event.

The ball... it is a-rolling.

2014 EVENT POSTINGS START HERE

What's up!?

Hotel prices are dipping early this year for the best place (The Westin).

We just booked Wed/Thurs/Fri nights for $130/night on Hotwire (The 4 Star Hotel in Downtown Memphis on Hotwire is the Westin). It's not necessary to book now, but IF You're 100% coming this year and want to stay at a very nice hotel with a great location, this rate is only going to go up.

Applications are due in the next month so we are in the process of forming our team. We need to get our entry in ASAP as a "new" team this year.

Any FBG's looking for sponsorship or assistant team membership information shoot me a PM.
Dates?

Hey Cos sorry I missed this...

Dates are May 15-17th (Thurs/Fri/Sat)

with Saturday being more of a judging day (limited partying, no tent access until 1-2pm or so, though you can watch judging from outside).

You can see the team application for 2014 here >

We will be submitting our entry Friday that will consist of:

26x50 Riverside Lot : $3000 (includes "ribs" primary event entry)

Ancillary Meat Entries (Poultry, Beef, Exotic, Wings): $240 (4x60)

Ancillary Sauce Entries (Tomato, Mustard, Vinegar): $180 (3x60)
Mandatory Cleaning Deposit : $350 ($150 refundable)
Big Hog Package: $125 (2 extra 24hr team bands, option to purchase 20 extra wed tix, 1 extra load in pass)

50 Wednesday "team Night" passes (at $8ea): $400

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GRAND TOTAL DUE: $4295

(and we've not even purchased an ounce of food or beverages)

SIDE NOTE:

Memphis in May voted by USA Today as the #1 Most Prestigious BBQ Competition

A cursory spreadsheet puts us at a $20,400 budget for this year. That is assuming beer is 100% donated. I've had one call already with Lagunitas Brewing and they're excited. Looks like we'll be getting 24 kegs (3 pallets) plus possibly some other assistance. We are shooting for 1 pallet of their flagship IPA, then 2 pallets of their lighter session beer "Daytime" which isn't normally brewed that early in the season, but they may be making an exception :whistle: .

They're also talking about POSSIBLY sending down their Small refrigerated transit van with the kegs inside that we would use for all refrigeration, (food and beverage) and integrate into the scaffold design. They MIGHT also be in for some cash but that's iffy IMO.

We have one company already expressing interest in sponsorship, offering $5-6k in exchange for some small banners and a catered lunch at our booth for 20ish folks one day as well as a logo on the shirt and some other items. That will cover about 1/3 of our total sponsorship needed and would be a good start. :thumbup:

We are down to 12 guys total on the team after a couple washouts. I'm okay with those numbers as they're all quality guys. We will have room to move up to 17 total team members in the future.

One of our good buddies and fellow party teams might have an inside track on some extra 24hr wristbands again this year :whistle: For those who don't know, these are the best bands to get as they allow 24hr access to the park, plus you can enter/exit freely with anything you want. Most folks get stopped and searched at the gates. If you have an airplane bottle of booze in your purse it's getting tossed. Meanwhile anyone with a 24hr band can ride in on a cart full of kegs with a handle of Jack Daniel's in each hand and they just wave you through. :thumbup:

For those curious about the budget associated with something of this scale.

Current 2014 McClure's Barbecue Memphis In May Budget >

Obviously a lot of this is still very much up in the air as far as what real costs will be. That should be relatively sharp, however. Good bit of slush built into Scaffold as well as the Misc/Slush fund of 2k (what most BBQ contests might cost all said and done :lol:

We have developed a customized sponsorship request form to target the 3 major auto dealership networks we have in town here (landers, gossett, and autonation). We will be going after ~$12k in sponsorship in exchange for:

• Two Massive 25' x 4' full color digital printed banners down either side of our scaffold (essentially two huge billboards in the heart of the park).

• Private catered luncheon for 20 employees on thursday and friday

• 20 VIP booth access wristbands for the duration of the festival + Prepaid Park entry tickets for 2 days for each wristband.

• Company logo on Team shirt, and complimentary shirt for everyone in the group

Fingers crossed as landing this would be a large chunk of our necessary $16kish of sponsorship dolllars required. We've got an "in" at all 3 networks of dealerships so we shouldn't have trouble getting a meeting. We just have to sell it. :popcorn:

GLGB Icon. Wish I could check one of these out some time. If you're still doing this in 10 years, maybe I'll bring the oldest down and he'll get to see all kinds of things that mommy doesn't need to know about.

I see a 4.5 star and a 3.5 star on Hotwire in downtown Memphis. One is like $230 a night and the other is $138. Is the Westin the 3.5 star?

#### guys I'm so sorry I've missed this :(

GLGB Icon. Wish I could check one of these out some time. If you're still doing this in 10 years, maybe I'll bring the oldest down and he'll get to see all kinds of things that mommy doesn't need to know about.
Fo sure! :banned:

I see a 4.5 star and a 3.5 star on Hotwire in downtown Memphis. One is like $230 a night and the other is $138. Is the Westin the 3.5 star?
4.5... man I don't know what that is. Peabody Maybe (awesome location)? EDIT: Looks like Peabody Hotel. Great location.

3.5 is MOST LIKELY the Crowne Plaza which is way up north by the Pyramid...about 1mi walk. not TOO far.

Westin is 4 star usually but 4 star also includes the Sheraton this year (also up north by crowne plaza). We got stuck at Sheraton this year. It's not too bad...likely want to take a cab home at night. Trolley runs right by there and will take you almost to the entrance of the park. But it's likely a 20min walk from the park vs 5 mins to westin.

I just hooked us up with free produce & seafood....working on the meat too.
:clap:
Look into Duroc Pork for our turn in Ribs. You've seen the pricing we can get from BB Kings if we need to source our basic crowd-feeding ribs from them.

Let's get some feedback here. I'd like to book soon, so I'm locked in
Sorry for the delay guys. :(

Just got word from Spring Creek Ranch Golf Course that they're donating 1000 used Titleist NXT Range balls to the cause. We will be setting up a driving range area on the 2nd floor of our scaffold where early in the day or after the park shuts down to the general public, our team / guests can hit balls into the Mississippi River.

During more crowded times (but not peak night time) we'll have to take them down to the edge of the river away from the sidewalk (40-50ft away) and hit em off the grass.

Just got word from Spring Creek Ranch Golf Course that they're donating 1000 used Titleist NXT Range balls to the cause. We will be setting up a driving range area on the 2nd floor of our scaffold where early in the day or after the park shuts down to the general public, our team / guests can hit balls into the Mississippi River.

During more crowded times (but not peak night time) we'll have to take them down to the edge of the river away from the sidewalk (40-50ft away) and hit em off the grass.
I can see it now - hundreds of dead catfish washing up on the shore of the Mississippi downstream with bellies full of golf balls.

ffldrew said:
[icon] said:

I can see it now - hundreds of dead catfish washing up on the shore of the Mississippi downstream with bellies full of golf balls.
This has been tradition for quite a few teams for many many years. We should be so lucky that golf balls are the worst thing floating down the MS River :lol:

We are at sheraton up north by the pyramid. It's less convenient but not the end of the world.

$182/night now is the best deal downtown from what I can find.

Hotwire appears to be dried up.
I have rooms booked at the sheraton for my brother and I. Once again, we would be more that happy to help with anything you all need. Booking flight in Feb when my bonus comes in. Quick question: Do we need to rent a car or is it close enough for cabs or uber back and forth? We planned on hanging around the tent most of the time. Second, i have a buddy that is a partial owner of tequila http://www.lunamalvada.com/homepage/ Do you want me to see if they would like to be a sponser? Worst case, i can probably get him to donate 6-12 bottles of highend tequila.

We are at sheraton up north by the pyramid. It's less convenient but not the end of the world.

$182/night now is the best deal downtown from what I can find.

Hotwire appears to be dried up.
I have rooms booked at the sheraton for my brother and I. Once again, we would be more that happy to help with anything you all need. Booking flight in Feb when my bonus comes in. Quick question: Do we need to rent a car or is it close enough for cabs or uber back and forth? We planned on hanging around the tent most of the time. Second, i have a buddy that is a partial owner of tequila http://www.lunamalvada.com/homepage/ Do you want me to see if they would like to be a sponser? Worst case, i can probably get him to donate 6-12 bottles of highend tequila.
Excellent! What nights did you book?

The goal is for guests to be able to come and simply enjoy themselves, but there's always a chance some little stuff will surface through the festival. Will know more once things get rolling the offer is always appreciated!

TRANSPORTATION:

NO need to rent a car. Cab to downtown isn't bad (20-30 bucks)

The Sheraton is almost exactly 1 mile walk from the head of the park. It's a flat walk, but it will likely be hot... It's really up to you to decide if that's too far or not.

There is a trolley that picks up AT the Sheraton and drops off at the head of Beale street (park entrance, bar district). I think it's a buck or two. That works great for getting to the park. It may shut down at 11pm or midnight so if you stay the full night or go out on Beale street afterward, you'll likely want to grab a cab back to the hotel (relatively easy to find downtown).

We sadly don't have Uber or Lyft yet.

Some tequila for the bar would be awesome if he's willing! We'll happily throw up his logo on the bar menu banner (above) as "Proudly serving Luna Malvada Tequila" and display some smaller product literature (trifold brochures or 8x11 sellsheet) if he'd like.

Reminder for all booking:

WED NIGHT : Team night only. If in town we MAY be able to make arrangements to get you in, but it will be VERY low key.

THURS : Moderate Party Day. Big Party Night
FRIDAY : Party Day. Cooking/Turn-Ins for everything but Ribs. Big Party Night.

SATURDAY: Judging till 1 or 2pm. (can watch from outside tent) Team will be very busy cleaning/setting up. Small party till awards (5pm).
SAT NIGHT: Generally we shut the booth down pretty early (before sundown)... the team is usually WIPED and we have a LOT of work (breakdown) on Sunday.

SUNDAY: Mayhem/breakdown. No public entry to the park.

So what happened to your old team? Are they SOL without the sponsorships that you brought to the table?

So what happened to your old team? Are they SOL without the sponsorships that you brought to the table?
We had an amicable split, with about 1/3 of the team leaving with us. The team was essentially two groups of friends so the split went down "party lines" so to speak. We told them before last year's festival to be up front about everything and to make sure they had enough time to backfill our spots on the team roster. Unfortunately for them, the 6-7 guys in our group did about 70-75% of the work required.

Of the two "main" guys who did organization before my buddy Reuben and I came aboard, one has moved to Jacksonville and the other has burned out. Yesterday we got a call from one of the quality guys from the team about meeting up for beers. He approached us about wanting to defect, stating Slab still hasn't gotten anything together, nobody is stepping up to organize things, and the trailer/smoker are now for sale. We accepted the "defector" since he's a quality guy who always pulled his weight

However, unfortunately it is looking increasingly likely that they will NOT be fielding a team this year :(

In the meantime we're at 14 guys now and looking at one last addition before finalizing the team roster. We have $5500 in sponsorship in the bag of the necessary $17kish. We've got about $15-20k additional in "irons in the fire" that should hopefully materialize. We shall see.

We had an amicable split, with about 1/3 of the team leaving with us. The team was essentially two groups of friends so the split went down "party lines" so to speak. We told them before last year's festival to be up front about everything and to make sure they had enough time to backfill our spots on the team roster. Unfortunately for them, the 6-7 guys in our group did about 70-75% of the work required.

Of the two "main" guys who did organization before my buddy Reuben and I came aboard, one has moved to Jacksonville and the other has burned out. Yesterday we got a call from one of the quality guys from the team about meeting up for beers. He approached us about wanting to defect, stating Slab still hasn't gotten anything together, nobody is stepping up to organize things, and the trailer/smoker are now for sale. We accepted the "defector" since he's a quality guy who always pulled his weight

However, unfortunately it is looking increasingly likely that they will NOT be fielding a team this year :(

In the meantime we're at 14 guys now and looking at one last addition before finalizing the team roster. We have $5500 in sponsorship in the bag of the necessary $17kish. We've got about $15-20k additional in "irons in the fire" that should hopefully materialize. We shall see.
That sucks for the old team. It is amazing how the 80/20 rule seems to work out in every real life situation. Sounds like you have a good core and with tipsy as the pitmaster you all should not skip a beat....I have posted before that my bro and I plan to come...if you need any help pre event i would definately be willing to pitch in....No task is to small or insignificant.

That sucks for the old team. It is amazing how the 80/20 rule seems to work out in every real life situation. Sounds like you have a good core and with tipsy as the pitmaster you all should not skip a beat....I have posted before that my bro and I plan to come...if you need any help pre event i would definately be willing to pitch in....No task is to small or insignificant.
Yeah it really is kinda a downer regarding Slab's issues. The problem is that they picked up too many members who were just warm bodies willing to pay dues. Thats' fine and dandy, but this event takes work... and the guys doing the work are only going to pull double their weight for so long before they get sick of it. The 80/20 rule really does seem to be highly apparent in SO many aspects of life.

We've got a couple guys who are a little less involved early on, but even those guys are contributing some stuff and have made it clear they will bust their asses come festival time. Two of them have been on teams before that fractured so I'm confident they're aware of what's required and will step up. Otherwise, we are light years ahead of where we would have been with the other team and things are moving forward very well. Everyone seems genuinely excited about this year's event.

No doubt we'll be in great shape on the food front with Tipsy heading the pit. Frankly his skills dwarf that of our previous pitmaster (who was no slouch) so we're all kinda excited to see what Tipsy can do with full creative control. The hardware/trophies are always going to be SOMEWHAT of a crapshoot to a degree, but I'm confident we'll have marked improvement over last year's outcome.

I appreciate the offer to help and I'll definitely be in touch. We'll likely be fine on most fronts but I look forward to having you guys down!

I will do this, someday. Keep a spot for me.
Anytime, GB. :thumbup:

It's official. McClure's Barbecue will be serving Lagunitas Brewery beers exclusively at the World Championship of Barbecue. I believe we will be receiving 3 pallets of brews.... 1 of their IPA (8 kegs) and 2 of a lighter seasonal brew they'll be whipping up for festival season (easier to pound all day in the 90-100 degree temps down on the river).

Irons in the fire with two dealerships now for major sponsorships... couple other smaller deals working. Ideally we will land that last 10-11k in funding we need over the next couple weeks and be able to start finalizing arrangements.

This is coming together nicely.... very very nicely. :popcorn:

Big meeting today with a major auto dealer network to secure primary financing/sponsorship for the booth. We've already secured about $5500 and this would add another $12000 (hopefully) to the pot and ensure we are in great shape.

We've received our official "acceptance" letter (somewhat of a formality given our connections, but nice to get). :thumbup:

We've also received unofficial word that our spot will be where we were last year (best spot in the park IMO) next to our favorite team to party with... and as an added bonus, on the other side there is now a huge walkway... meaning we're potentially looking at an endcap... which is HUGE for exposure (and helping us sell sponsorship).

Just gotta land this $$$ today :popcorn:

Oh, how I wanted to go. Unfortunately, with it not being on a weekend, it just wasn't possible this year. My wife works nights, so I need to watch the kids :kicksrock:

A buddy's team that will be a few booths down from us just posted a full 3D walkthrough of their 2014 Booth.

Yes... some teams actually go to the extent of cad rendering their booth layouts for this festival....

Serious Business

[icon] said:
A buddy's team that will be a few booths down from us just posted a full 3D walkthrough of their 2014 Booth.

Yes... some teams actually go to the extent of cad rendering their booth layouts for this festival....

Serious Business
1 floor? pfft... <_<
:lol:

Those guys throw a pretty good party but are much more about the cooking. They have an interesting system where they post up on BBQ Bretheren and other more local cooking forums recruiting guys who can cook... then they break out the dishes and form teams (ribs team, chicken team, etc). Bring in a bunch of cookers and do a communal thing. It's actually a really good approach if you're more about the cooking and less about the party.

Me... I'm about the party too ;)

Sooo...I Had a brainstorm last night...

Most/All of the guys on the team are coupled up, but everyone knows a party sucks unless it's well stocked with female talent. Sooooooo I'm going to set up a Facebook account for the team, log into Tinder with it.

Next, Set the profile photo as a flyer for the booth "3 stories, life DJ, open bar, biggest party booth at bbqfest, etc....Swipe right to see if you've made the guestlist cut". Throw up some pictures of the food/party/DJ...more detailed description about the event in the description area.

Then set it to search for 21-35yo women within an hours drive (BBQfest pulls EASILY from that far out)... get the guys together, project the app onto a big-screen, crack some beers and have a "selection party".... picking the gals who we want in the booth based on their pics/descriptions.

For those that don't know how Tinder works, when you give a girl a 'Thumbsup" it checks to see if she's done the same. If she has, it lets you know you've got a match, and opens a chat thread. At that point it's easy to get names for guest-list...Inform them that these are special "pink pass" wristbands that are only good for ladies (though these gals are single, which is why they're on Tinder)... Then have a guestlist on iPad with off duty cop working door.

I've never seen anything like this done. I anticipate us being able to EASILY hand-select 50-100 attractive single women while pre-screening based on appearance, personality, etc.

Best way to "stock the pond" ever IMO :banned:

[icon] said:

Serious Business
1 floor? pfft... <_<
:lol:

Those guys throw a pretty good party but are much more about the cooking. They have an interesting system where they post up on BBQ Bretheren and other more local cooking forums recruiting guys who can cook... then they break out the dishes and form teams (ribs team, chicken team, etc). Bring in a bunch of cookers and do a communal thing. It's actually a really good approach if you're more about the cooking and less about the party.

Me... I'm about the party too ;)

Sooo...I Had a brainstorm last night...

Most/All of the guys on the team are coupled up, but everyone knows a party sucks unless it's well stocked with female talent. Sooooooo I'm going to set up a Facebook account for the team, log into Tinder with it.

Next, Set the profile photo as a flyer for the booth "3 stories, life DJ, open bar, biggest party booth at bbqfest, etc....Swipe right to see if you've made the guestlist cut". Throw up some pictures of the food/party/DJ...more detailed description about the event in the description area.

Then set it to search for 21-35yo women within an hours drive (BBQfest pulls EASILY from that far out)... get the guys together, project the app onto a big-screen, crack some beers and have a "selection party".... picking the gals who we want in the booth based on their pics/descriptions.

For those that don't know how Tinder works, when you give a girl a 'Thumbsup" it checks to see if she's done the same. If she has, it lets you know you've got a match, and opens a chat thread. At that point it's easy to get names for guest-list...Inform them that these are special "pink pass" wristbands that are only good for ladies (though these gals are single, which is why they're on Tinder)... Then have a guestlist on iPad with off duty cop working door.

I've never seen anything like this done. I anticipate us being able to EASILY hand-select 50-100 attractive single women while pre-screening based on appearance, personality, etc.

Best way to "stock the pond" ever IMO :banned:
This is going to be the greatest weekend in memphis ever. Very good idea! By the way, my bro and i are going sponser a table. Need to get you the $$.

This is going to be the greatest weekend in memphis ever. Very good idea! By the way, my bro and i are going sponser a table. Need to get you the $$.
I don't want to oversell it too much, but it really is so over the top ridiculous for a "barbecue contest". I still remember Tipsy's face the first day out there... he was just wide eyed with perma-grin saying stuff like "this is insane" and such.

Were you talking about for the tequila? I don't think we're doing "table" sponsorships per-se but we can chat via PM for what you're looking for / want to spend. Keep in mind that donations/sponsorship are 100% NOT necessary. You guys are our guests gratis.

What are the sponsorship options again?
This is our current sponsorship form... kinda a guideline or starting point for discussions, typically. That said it varies wildly based on what folks are looking for (entertainment, exposure, etc).

Currently have $5500 in sponsorship on the books and two "finalists" hammering out a $10-12k sponsorships (first to sign gets it) for the final private luncheon package (plus other exposure/etc obviously). NEED $6k more (worst case team dues go up $400/head) but would love $12k more... anything over that will be gravy and be poured into more excess. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread