What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MEMPHIS BBQFest > 2023 > 1 Month Away - $100,000 budget due to inflation! (3 Viewers)

Great job everyone! Thanks for keeping up with updates so we could follow along.

So how did the Tinder work out? Also, how did McClure's do while Tipsey was gone?
Tinder went well... Kelsey (left) showed up early thursday and was a flat out smokeshow in person. She left for a while and may have come back when it was crowded but I was too busy to notice :( . JTG talked with her for a bit while she was in the booth. The asianed group showed as did 1-2 others that I noticed. Overall I'll definitely call it a success given we were an unknown quantity. Next year I anticipate even better results with the stock photos we now have.

I think Neil closed the restaurant some days and let it run normally somedays. He can clarify but I know he couldn't leave it open full bore due not wanting to overwork his staff in his absence.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it was kinda like going to Vegas for the first time where there is so much going on and its overwhelming.

Icon and his boys know how to throw a party. All cool dudes and good people. Food was outstanding. Drinks were great. Kinda tough to pace yourself drinking the IPA's all day but a good problem to have. Love those southern girls. They were all over the place.

Got to kick it with JTG and Ray Karpis for a while also. Good times.

Highly recommend going if you have not had the chance. The jr sponsor package was worth every penny. Thats the way to do it.

I'm going back next year for sure.

For me it was kinda like going to Vegas for the first time where there is so much going on and its overwhelming.

Icon and his boys know how to throw a party. All cool dudes and good people. Food was outstanding. Drinks were great. Kinda tough to pace yourself drinking the IPA's all day but a good problem to have. Love those southern girls. They were all over the place.

Got to kick it with JTG and Ray Karpis for a while also. Good times.

Highly recommend going if you have not had the chance. The jr sponsor package was worth every penny. Thats the way to do it.

I'm going back next year for sure.
:thumbup:

Thanks GB...was good to have more Boston folks in the booth! Next year I ASSURE Ya we'll have more light beer options. I've already started speaking with Lagunitas about this. Thanks again for pitching in with the sponsorship. Those who did were the reason why we were able to pretty much break even this year (after $500 in team dues).

Very glad you guys had a great time. I'm sure cleaning up at the tables in Tunica didn't hurt either :lol:

[icon] said:
Nailed it...64th of 120.

Lots of talk for next year already... Bigger booth space for more porta potties and bigger pit area.

Meat supplier came in and are down 100pct to supply us with free ribs and cheap butts again.

Light/sound company re-texted that they are all in on us next year and it will be even better. Talking about settin up zones of sound to better distribute music thru the booth (rather than cranking it up on dance floor).

Lots of other little details... This year was insane though. Eagerly awaiting the full sbonomo review once he and bro land. Got a call from em this AM and they sounded like they were still partying. Those guys are animals. Super helpful around the booth as well. Hell, they're in the team pics this year :lol: :thumbup:
Place holder for full event description and pics......Really busy at work so will try to get everything linked tonight.

johnnyrock62000 said:
Great job everyone! Thanks for keeping up with updates so we could follow along.

So how did the Tinder work out? Also, how did McClure's do while Tipsey was gone?
i can attest as the self anointed bartender on Fri/Sat that there was plenty of eye candy to go around all night. The sorority party was tough for me because they all looked 18 to me....every one of them passed though.

johnnyrock62000 said:

i can attest as the self anointed bartender on Fri/Sat that there was plenty of eye candy to go around all night. The sorority party was tough for me because they all looked 18 to me....every one of them passed though.
Not sure how.. completely missed the sorority birthday party. :kicksrock:

Kept getting dragged away to chat with people I'd not seen in a while. Hope the girls had fun. That was one of our big sponsor's daughter's bday party with her sorority sisters apparently.

So here are the pictures that i came away with http://s28.photobucket.com/user/stuartbonomo/slideshow/Memphis%202014: Unfortunately i was helping behind the bar most of the night so most of my pics are during the day while helping with food.
What's he cooking on? A Lang 60? Did he bring the resturante smoker with him?
Lang 84 Deluxe = Catering smoker

Lang 108 Deluxe = Restaurant smoker
It was hard to tell, couldn't see the warmer on top of the firebox from the photos. Those are decent size rigs, your lot must have been huge

It was hard to tell, couldn't see the warmer on top of the firebox from the photos. Those are decent size rigs, your lot must have been huge
Yep! Lot was 24x50'. Next year, finances permitting, we're stepping up to the 34x54 lot.

Yep! Lot was 24x50'. Next year, finances permitting, we're stepping up to the 34x54 lot.
Here's hoping I see it :hifive:

ONE of these years you'll make it up... I BELIEVE!!
I know I know, I'm half way home on purchasing my TS500, 10 or so more good Saturday cooks and I should be able to order it, after that it's time to strart a Memphis in May slush fund :thanks:

So here are the pictures that i came away with http://s28.photobucket.com/user/stuartbonomo/slideshow/Memphis%202014: Unfortunately i was helping behind the bar most of the night so most of my pics are during the day while helping with food.
GFD those wings look awesome!!!
Brined (SP), smoked and flashed fried right before turn in. They tasted great but tipsy thinks that the judges might not have liked the appearance due to the brine. One of the best wings i have ever had. The oysters were equally amazing.

Yep...Lang 84 Deluxe. Just the basic 108 at work as I have warmers in the way of actual ovens here.

I did close the restaurant on Monday & Tuesday last week....I account for nearly 80 hours on the schedule (at counter or on the line) + all the stuff I'm not scheduled to do....so eliminating two of our slowest days was good for my staff & peace of mind. They had a killer week while I was gone and did a great job.

The fest....whoa. I cannot believe how big scaffoldzilla was. I am still thinking about it. Tipsy missed most of the partying because of I had to feed everyone and compete in my first event as the solo pitmaster. Overall I am very happy with my food even though I didn't do so great score wise. I know what some of my mistakes were, but I have no idea on some others. I do know judging is a crap shoot wherever you go. I'll refine some stuff and completely change other dishes for next year.

Missing the party is ok with me, but next year I'll stay downtown and have my timing worked out better in regards to getting the tent fed every meal. The kitchen those guys assembled for me was outstanding for an open air structure.

Great to "MEAT" all you fbg's. sorry about the syphilis sbomomonomominio

Yep...Lang 84 Deluxe. Just the basic 108 at work as I have warmers in the way of actual ovens here.

I did close the restaurant on Monday & Tuesday last week....I account for nearly 80 hours on the schedule (at counter or on the line) + all the stuff I'm not scheduled to do....so eliminating two of our slowest days was good for my staff & peace of mind. They had a killer week while I was gone and did a great job.

The fest....whoa. I cannot believe how big scaffoldzilla was. I am still thinking about it. Tipsy missed most of the partying because of I had to feed everyone and compete in my first event as the solo pitmaster. Overall I am very happy with my food even though I didn't do so great score wise. I know what some of my mistakes were, but I have no idea on some others. I do know judging is a crap shoot wherever you go. I'll refine some stuff and completely change other dishes for next year.

Missing the party is ok with me, but next year I'll stay downtown and have my timing worked out better in regards to getting the tent fed every meal. The kitchen those guys assembled for me was outstanding for an open air structure.

Great to "MEAT" all you fbg's. sorry about the syphilis sbomomonomominio
You did great GB

The wings were good but not as good as last year IMO.

The beef was the best Ive ever had, including the 2nd or 3rd place beef finish a few years back

The lamb was spectacular...that mint julep glaze set it off.

Never got a oyster off the batch...some dickmitten snaked mine i set aside :hot:

Never got a thigh off the batch, but the others were very good.

The first batch of comp ribs were spectacular... arguably best ive ever had. The ones the judges got def were a notch down (harder to pull)... perhaps, as we discussed, there is something to a short foiling period. I have zero doubts you'll have it nailed next year. Sent ya some pics of friends setup/box/etc who took 6th as info.

Next year Livy will be dedicated to pit and I'll spend more time back there as needed to help ya get necessary precook/prep done for mass feedings so you dont have to sweat much until fri AM and Sat AM. We can also pare back the ancillary entries if you prefer. Your call chef. :)

And I don't want a bigger lot unless we are on a corner with the load in ramp right there....our spot was killer!
Oh we're not going anywhere. MIM has already cleared us (to matt) that we can widen our existing spot if we choose.. thats our lot though. I couldn't agree more. Of the hundreds in the park, that is without a doubt the best. Load in/out were a breeze... visibility was excellent. Having that whole side to look out of (vs into your neighbors tent flaps) was priceless. Epic spot no doubt.

[icon] said:
tipsy mcstagger said:
And I don't want a bigger lot unless we are on a corner with the load in ramp right there....our spot was killer!
Oh we're not going anywhere. MIM has already cleared us (to matt) that we can widen our existing spot if we choose.. thats our lot though. I couldn't agree more. Of the hundreds in the park, that is without a doubt the best. Load in/out were a breeze... visibility was excellent. Having that whole side to look out of (vs into your neighbors tent flaps) was priceless. Epic spot no doubt.
phew....glad we agree....ive been drawing a few different designs for the whole place but will adjust to the new size now. 51 weeks until load in.

[icon] said:
tipsy mcstagger said:
phew....glad we agree....ive been drawing a few different designs for the whole place but will adjust to the new size now. 51 weeks until load in.
Yep!

New space isnt guaranteed... pending raising about $20k in sponsorship $.

As i'm sure you know, key booth layout points are

• Provide ample pit and bar space

• Ideally move kitchen to exterior wall for visibility

• Traffic Pinch points must be spaced out (entry, bar, bathrooms, stairs)

I will be featuring "wings on wednesday" here for the next year to make sure I don't finish that low again....that hurt but again I think it was the internal color of them that could have made that happen.

For the seafood....I'm going with something completely different than grilled oysters so the box hasn't been melted through by the time it gets to judging. Tasso stuffed shrimp tossed in a crystal hot sauce beurre blanc with a five pepper jelly as the base is an absolute taste explosion and fantastic presentation....dish we sold at Commanders Palace. I could do the shrimp & grits thing...but I believe that is played out. Tuna seared with a hoisin sauce & asain guacamole ....or in soy butter with mirliton slaw. Seafood is something I should dominate honestly...but our taste buds are different here than in that judges tent so I'll never really sweat it.

the beef and lamb both were taste worth of a top 10 finish and we know that. But....did the wheels hold together through tasting? Is stuffed tenderloin too played out? Is lamb not exotic enough (alligator tacos won...ridiculous).... I have a whole year to think this out and play with some awesome.

My KC sauce needed a little more kick...my NC & SC sauces bombed and I have no idea why they did that bad. I'll play with them all obviously....Im happy with the current ones in the restaurant but I might need a bigger flavor profile for competition. After all they aren't judging the sauces with meat as I have them designed.

There is zero chance I want scale back and not enter some things. I'm there to compete....I can't win if I don't try. The biggest improvement I can make next year is organization and getting tent meals done ahead of time and with less destruction of the kitchen.

There is zero chance I want scale back and not enter some things. I'm there to compete....I can't win if I don't try. The biggest improvement I can make next year is organization and getting tent meals done ahead of time and with less destruction of the kitchen.

I figure you wanted to compete in everything, just wanted to give ya the shot to cherry pick if you wanted. I know we were hustling pretty good there fri around lunch time (though I enjoyed the rush, personally).

I will be featuring "wings on wednesday" here for the next year to make sure I don't finish that low again....that hurt but again I think it was the internal color of them that could have made that happen.

For the seafood....I'm going with something completely different than grilled oysters so the box hasn't been melted through by the time it gets to judging. Tasso stuffed shrimp tossed in a crystal hot sauce beurre blanc with a five pepper jelly as the base is an absolute taste explosion and fantastic presentation....dish we sold at Commanders Palace. I could do the shrimp & grits thing...but I believe that is played out. Tuna seared with a hoisin sauce & asain guacamole ....or in soy butter with mirliton slaw. Seafood is something I should dominate honestly...but our taste buds are different here than in that judges tent so I'll never really sweat it.

the beef and lamb both were taste worth of a top 10 finish and we know that. But....did the wheels hold together through tasting? Is stuffed tenderloin too played out? Is lamb not exotic enough (alligator tacos won...ridiculous).... I have a whole year to think this out and play with some awesome.

My KC sauce needed a little more kick...my NC & SC sauces bombed and I have no idea why they did that bad. I'll play with them all obviously....Im happy with the current ones in the restaurant but I might need a bigger flavor profile for competition. After all they aren't judging the sauces with meat as I have them designed.

Holy Geebuz PM me this recipe..

Do the judges have any idea where each thing they scarf down comes from, exactly?
Ancillary Judging (everything but main category of ribs, shoulder, or hog) is 100% blind box so no they do not.

Main event (ribs, shoulder, or hog) category is a mix of blind box (which is blind), and 3 onsite judges (where they know what they're getting and where it has come from).

What is the purpose of the "Big 3" onsite judges being allowed to know who made it? And how many judges are there?

What is the purpose of the "Big 3" onsite judges being allowed to know who made it? And how many judges are there?
They're there Talk about the meat, the process, etc... Ask questions about flavor profile, flavors they pick up in the sauce/meat...

All I know is there has to be bias.
There's absolutely bias. But it's a pretty fair system in that the first cut is blind tasting if I'm understanding the system right.

After that, it become showmanship. Which in the big picture of BBQness, probably is an ok thing.

J

So it must be harder for a guy like Typsy outta New Orleans to make some noise, no? What are the general demographics of the competitors? And judges, for that matter.

I think I'm gonna go to this thing next year. BTW, already locked and loaded for Rocktober (10/13 - 10/16). I'm totally into Memphis now. :D

So it must be harder for a guy like Typsy outta New Orleans to make some noise, no? What are the general demographics of the competitors? And judges, for that matter.

I think I'm gonna go to this thing next year. BTW, already locked and loaded for Rocktober (10/13 - 10/16). I'm totally into Memphis now. :D
Right on... Will def have to meet up for drinks during PJ trip

Holy Geebuz PM me this recipe..
cool...i don't have to type crap

Sooo....

We were wanting to move up to the larger lot to open up space for the smoker (had to "steal" space for it this past year) and more porta potties.

Current size 24x50.

Next size up: 34x54 (biggest lot you can get, only a few available).

Memphis in May contacted our scaffold lead about the size of our booth again and they got to talking. Looks like MIM is going to GIVE us a free upgrade to the giant spot in exchange for hanging a MIM BBQfest banner on our the booth. Apparently they noticed that ####LOADS of people were snapping photos of the booth, and asking to go up top to take panoramic shots of the park (best view). Also talk about mounting a official festival live feed camera to the top of our structure given the view.

Soooo.. yeah, our MIM BBQfest booth is now partially sponsored by the festival itself :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread