What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MEMPHIS BBQFest > 2023 > 1 Month Away - $100,000 budget due to inflation! (2 Viewers)

Were approached by a local Fireball rep. We will be one of two teams who will be sponsored with product and a chiller/dispenser.

We will likely also do Fireball Gummy Bears.... Cinnamon Gummy Bears soaked in Fireball in small cups w/ lids that will be handed out at bar or thrown down into crowd from balcony.

Team Dinner at Chef Troy Black's loft downtown Saturday night... he's cooking a bunch of #### for everyone and their wives/girlfriends. Then team meeting Tuesday. Meeting next Thursday with the RedBull honcho over the Southeastern US (will be in town for a couple days) to discuss their involvement this year. They're wanting to be much more involved/visible.

CDW has told us they're in (partnering with Cisco) and we should know details on amount today hopefully....
oh, this should be interesting....
:lol:

Which part the Fireball on tap, the Fireball & Rum Gummies (in addition to the Jello Shots from last year), or the Red Bull deal for more product and swag than last year?

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Were approached by a local Fireball rep. We will be one of two teams who will be sponsored with product and a chiller/dispenser.

We will likely also do Fireball Gummy Bears.... Cinnamon Gummy Bears soaked in Fireball in small cups w/ lids that will be handed out at bar or thrown down into crowd from balcony.

Team Dinner at Chef Troy Black's loft downtown Saturday night... he's cooking a bunch of #### for everyone and their wives/girlfriends. Then team meeting Tuesday. Meeting next Thursday with the RedBull honcho over the Southeastern US (will be in town for a couple days) to discuss their involvement this year. They're wanting to be much more involved/visible.

CDW has told us they're in (partnering with Cisco) and we should know details on amount today hopefully....
oh, this should be interesting....

Which part the Fireball on tap, the Fireball & Rum Gummies (in addition to the Jello Shots from last year), or the Red Bull deal for more product and swag than last year?

;)
All of the above.....we definately are going to need a strategy around over serving this year.....I cannot wait!

It's OFFICIAL.

The Memphis in May BBQFest Acceptance letters went out yesterday (a week late). There was a "record number of entries" this year that caused the delays. Thankfully our past presence as well as "insider" connections had us guaranteed in, but it's always nice to get the official letter. Particularly given the CEO of the event, Jim Holt, was not a fan of our absurdly large booth last year... sending operations staff out daily to measure us and harass us about various things.

NEXT STEPS:
• This week : get official acceptance packet with booth number, location, and all forms for stuff like ice machines, electricity, porta potties, meat, etc.
• Next monday: Big team meeting to start hammering out details like cooking shifts, and such.

59 DAYS TILL LOAD IN

Just talked to Patrick Dodd who's moved to Asheville, NC.... Tentatively have worked out plans for he and Josh Roberts to come back this year (after a year off) to play friday late afternoon/evening. :excited:

Josh is hands down the best slide guitarist I've ever seen live. Dodd is a very good friend and one of the best singer/songwriters I've had the pleasure of hearing over the years. Would be a chill acoustic set as the day is starting to give way to dusk... on the banks of the Mississippi. Kinda perfect.

Patrick and Josh covering "Jolene"

Josh playing a little slide improv on Cigar Box Guitar

Few developments over the last week or two....

1) ON THE FOOD FRONT:
Our meat sponsor took on a larger sponsorship role in the festival so abandoned team sponsorships. Well... we worked out a deal with them where our scaffold guy (on team) is putting up a small setup for them at another festival in September...

In exchange they are donating to us:
• 2 cases (28 slabs) of either Berkshire or Duroc ribs to be hand picked by our pitmaster (For competition)

• 10 cases (140 slabs) of Excel 2.25/2.50 Loin back ribs (for Mass feedings)
• 4 Cases (~40 Butts) of Excel Boston Butts (For mass feedings)
• 3 Cases (120lbs) of Chicken WIngs (for mass feedings & hot wing entry)

:excited:

Also Troy (Pitmaster) has lined up a "tasting panel" of 3 experienced MBN judges who judge the festival... they will be blind tasting our options for ancillary turn ins (we are entering Beef, Poultry, Seafood, Exotic, Wings, and Tomato/Mustard/Vinegar Base Sauces) to help us nail down what we're going to enter, and make any tweaks needed prior to competition.

2) BBQfest Team Shirts
We are playing with some designs for the team shirts... this is currently the frontrunner. Discussions/Ideas definitely still underway though. Even if we go with that, not sure on red/back/white color scheme but we'll see.

Still waiting to hear "This week" on our exact booth location/number. Memphis in May is running even slower than usual this year.

Troy Black has officially lined up a Southern Pride SP-700 pit for our use at Memphis In May. This is a $25-30k fully automatic self-basting rotisserie convection pit.... this thing has the capacity to cook 100 Slabs of Ribs or nearly 100 Pork butts at once. :excited:

Athens Distribution has partnered with Beam Suntory to provide our booze for the year. Our tentative breakout of 14 cases of hooch will include:

• Vox vodka (8 cases)

• Jim Beam Black (8 year aged Triple-Distilled bourbon) - 2 cases
• Jim Beam Devils Cut (90 proof Bourbon w/ Jack-ish flavor profile) - 2 cases
• Jim Beam Kentucky Fire (Cinnamon Whiskey ala Fireball) - 2 cases for use in shot-chiller machine.

:banned:

Officially signed CDW, Cisco, EMC2, and VCE for the Wednesday night sponsorship dinner. Downside is it ties up most of our Friends/Family night tickets. Upside is we're getting the hosting out of the way on a very slow night so the booth won't be backed with sponsors during the fun nights. Dinner & Drinks for 50 folks, plus some banners and such for $8k.

Officially signed CDW, Cisco, EMC2, and VCE for the Wednesday night sponsorship dinner. Downside is it ties up most of our Friends/Family night tickets. Upside is we're getting the hosting out of the way on a very slow night so the booth won't be backed with sponsors during the fun nights. Dinner & Drinks for 50 folks, plus some banners and such for $8k.
Are the TShirts pretty sweet? :oldunsure:

Are the TShirts pretty sweet? :oldunsure:
Already have XL from '14 set aside for ya and XL '15 is on my order sheet. :lol: So sorry GB.

Icon,

I found out today the company I work for reserved a spot to put up a tent, or whatever they decide to put up, during BBQ fest. I have some questions for you. Would you be able shoot me your email address or phone number so I can contact you?

Icon,

I found out today the company I work for reserved a spot to put up a tent, or whatever they decide to put up, during BBQ fest. I have some questions for you. Would you be able shoot me your email address or phone number so I can contact you?
yep! Incoming PM with cell.

LOTS of stuff coming together now...

SPONSORS:
CDW/EMC/VCE/Cisco group's Wed Night dinner is finalized and the cash is rolling in. A Comitted $3k sponsor was potentially on fence due to health issues but he's confirmed in so that's good. Budget wise, we've nailed down everything we need for the most part... now at about $17k raised through sponsorships... Currently short about $800 but we have another 2-3k in small sponsors that are on fence / finalizing that should leave us in great shape.

The shirt artwork is done and we're looking at production now.

Custom Cups (1000pc 22oz tumblers) are in production.

For electricity this year, the light/sound company that does it for us is requesting three dedicated 20A circuits. Given our other needs (one for the southern pride smoker, 3-4 for refrigeration, etc) we are getting a custom 200A 220V panel that will step down to 110V. Then we will order a single service of 200A of 220V Single Phase power and split it out to twelve 15A 110V circuits with GFI. Yes, we realize that 200 Amps of juice for a BBQ booth is ridiculous ;)

FOOD WISE:
Troy has been testing various dishes and consulting with judges on what our approach will be this year. As of now it looks like:

Seafood : Jerk shrimp taco w/ cucumber sauce / pickled red onion.
Beef: Beef Wellington : 6 servings

Chicken: Duck Confit Tacos : Cilantro, Pickled Red Onion, Lettuce, Pico-style sauce

Exotic: Blackened Double Bone Venison w/ Red Wine Reduction

I believe we will be using my tomato base that i've been working on ("code named: Mule Blood") and mustard base. Not sure on vinegar base just yet. Troy is considering working with my tomato base with kicked up heat for our wings as well.

Bunch more in the works that will slowly be leaked.

Follow along at:
Twitter: @usualsaucepects
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mccluresbbq

Can't wait! This year I will post way more on the live twitter feed assuming I can figure out how to do it..

Damn, wish I could attend this year.

I know I said I could, but in case you haven't noticed [icon], 98.9 FM in Memphis is no longer News/Talk, so I'm no longer there. :(

Look forward to reading updates, though.

Damn, wish I could attend this year.

I know I said I could, but in case you haven't noticed [icon], 98.9 FM in Memphis is no longer News/Talk, so I'm no longer there. :(

Look forward to reading updates, though.
Damn that sucks man. Sorry to hear!

Cash sponsorship approaching $20k with expenses still budgeted in excess of $27k despite the following product donations:

• 10 cases (140 slabs) of baby back ribs
• 4 cases (~360lbs) of pork butts
• 2 cases duroc or berkshire ribs for comp
• 120lbs of chicken wings
• 24 kegs from Lagunitas
• 15 cases of booze (vox vodka, beam black, etc)
• 50+ cases of Redbull
• ~$75k light & sound system installed by Nolan Audio
• 60% off scaffold pricing
• SP-700 Pit on loan from Southern Pride

33 Days and counting....

32 days till load in...

"Cooks Meeting" was this past Sunday where we lined up electrical service, picked up our team packets, reserved rental seating, etc. Things went smoothly. Electrical Panel is under construction. $1500 in carpet is being purchased this week (that will be thrown away at the end of the festival).

We are now looking at a 25x50' inground pool cover/tarp to use under the carpet on the top deck to properly seal the top level to avoid soak-through issues we had due to last year's heavy rains. Yes.. we also realize that's nuts... but using 4 or 6mil sheeting would have likely led to seams that would likely leak if the weather was bad again. That is something we are actively trying to avoid this year.

We have purchased rolls of 30% screen shade mesh to wrap both sides of the booth to provide a bit of shade, to keep people from neighboring booths from sneaking in, and to potentially knock down rain entering from the sides a bit. Should be aesthetically cool looking as well.

The light and sound company are pretty gung ho about what they're putting in. They've requested two dedicated 30 Amp 220V circuits from our power panel... Im not sure what that means, but a guy on our team who's familiar with the stuff means they're likely bringing in some pretty serious equipment. Should be interesting. The shade mesh on the sides should also help hold in fog/haze from the two machines we'll have shooting out over the crowd...apparently :lol:

Couple last minute junior sponsors and one last team from Cisco looking to hang out thursday pushed us past our fundraising goal... so we're in good shape financially.

Things are slowly coming together, but pace is picking up rapidly.

Most things I read on this board I dismiss and think what a bunch of losers. This thread I feel jealousy. Looks like a job well done so far and I can't wait to see the pictures and read the stories.

Most things I read on this board I dismiss and think what a bunch of losers. This thread I feel jealousy. Looks like a job well done so far and I can't wait to see the pictures and read the stories.
Come on down, GB. Plenty of room for a fellow Pats fan. :thumbup:

It sounds like the only thing you're missing is a bikini contest.
I was thinking more like a miss wet t-shirt contest
Sadly that is frowned upon, but there is plenty of dancing on the poles and such :lol:
There's no need for bikini/wet tshirt contests, with the amount of warm weather clothing that's displayed most nights. With as big and as popular as this festival has become, that would probably "cheapen" things around here. There's plenty of debauchery to be seen if you look hard enough.

Several years ago, teams had rolls of stickers printed with their team names & logos on them, and guys (&gals) would stand outside their booths and get passerbys to "earn" them, kind of like Mardi Gras beads. People would be seen walking around with dozens of stickers slapped onto strategic bodily areas, often in place of actual clothing. It was outlawed not long afterwards, but fun to see while it lasted.

Waterguns got outlawed sometime around then too. Rumor has it that the city mayor didn't appreciate getting doused a few times by random folks.

Who is going this year?

Jtg you heading down or was that a random work thing last year?

Would love to take a trip.

Several years ago, teams had rolls of stickers printed with their team names & logos on them, and guys (&gals) would stand outside their booths and get passerbys to "earn" them, kind of like Mardi Gras beads. People would be seen walking around with dozens of stickers slapped onto strategic bodily areas, often in place of actual clothing. It was outlawed not long afterwards, but fun to see while it lasted.

Waterguns got outlawed sometime around then too. Rumor has it that the city mayor didn't appreciate getting doused a few times by random folks.

we've thought about trying to bring back the stickers but the consequence (booted from the festival/contest is daunting. :) You gonna make it by this year, GB? We've got Patrick Dodd coming back from Ashville to play with Josh Roberts at the booth Friday (and to ring in his birthday) so you can expect shenanigans.

This year we're adding 1000 cups each of "Rummy Bears" (rum soaked gummy bears) and "Fire Bears" (Cinnamon Whiskey soaked Cinnamon flavored Gummy Bears)... on top of our usual 1000 cups of Jello Shots. That, coupled with not 1 but 2 "shot chiller/dispensers with Jim Beam Kentucky Fire Cinnamon Whiskey on tap and...well... it's going to be interesting. :lol:

Who is going this year?

Jtg you heading down or was that a random work thing last year?

Would love to take a trip.
Hadn't heard from JTG yet. I think Numbles may be coming out. Tipsy is still 50/50 on being able to make an appearance based on his slow overtaking of the NOLA Restaurant scene. :D Fingers crossed though. If you're serious about coming out, let me know. Hotels are booking up quickly but I have access to one or two that are held back "just in case".

Icon,

Shot you a PM but never heard anything else, GB. You good?

Looks like we had the following FBGs considering the trip out this year. Not sure on everyone's status:

Foosball God

Joe T

Palmersteel

CosJobs

we've thought about trying to bring back the stickers but the consequence (booted from the festival/contest is daunting. :) You gonna make it by this year, GB? We've got Patrick Dodd coming back from Ashville to play with Josh Roberts at the booth Friday (and to ring in his birthday) so you can expect shenanigans.

This year we're adding 1000 cups each of "Rummy Bears" (rum soaked gummy bears) and "Fire Bears" (Cinnamon Whiskey soaked Cinnamon flavored Gummy Bears)... on top of our usual 1000 cups of Jello Shots. That, coupled with not 1 but 2 "shot chiller/dispensers with Jim Beam Kentucky Fire Cinnamon Whiskey on tap and...well... it's going to be interesting. :lol:
:yes:

Thursday night is usually my night of choice.

[icon] said:
Icon,

Shot you a PM but never heard anything else, GB. You good?

Looks like we had the following FBGs considering the trip out this year. Not sure on everyone's status:

Foosball God

Joe T

Palmersteel

CosJobs
My sister graduates that saturday in Pittsburgh. I'm trying to make it work to come in Thursday night but probably won't know for two more weeks...

Jesus... Twitter chatter off the charts tonight with word of tipsy being more likely to make it up... AND possibly having some of the Hogs for the Cause, NOLA Brewing, HogDat Nation crew... UbonsBBQ and Big Bob Gibson's in on the conversation as well.

Also have added a comp day shirt to the run... Size Medium with the name Yi Lynne embroidered...

pic

Things getting more and more interesting....

I'm in Memphis for the night. Where should I go to eat?

Beale St. Recommendations?

Tia.

Sorry I know this isn't the right thread but I'm on mobile and it sucks with search

Oof.

I think I'm going to be in damage control with more than 1 female tomorrow.

Good times Memphis. Good times.

Jesus... Twitter chatter off the charts tonight with word of tipsy being more likely to make it up... AND possibly having some of the Hogs for the Cause, NOLA Brewing, HogDat Nation crew... UbonsBBQ and Big Bob Gibson's in on the conversation as well.

Also have added a comp day shirt to the run... Size Medium with the name Yi Lynne embroidered...

pic

A very good friend of mine is with the Ubons crew. They're some badasss BBQ'ers!

pic

A very good friend of mine is with the Ubons crew. They're some badasss BBQ'ers!
So I've heard! I'll be stopping in for a bite at some point!

Cups came in... Damn ink ran way too dark. they're re-running them with black art on red cups. Hoping we get to keep both... will probably need all 2000 cups.

Also picked up a small RC Drone with HD cam attached to fly and capture some aerial video at the booth. This should be interesting :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread