What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MEMPHIS BBQFest > 2023 > 1 Month Away - $100,000 budget due to inflation! (1 Viewer)

Truth. I've already learned a lot on the IG front thanks to a few basic tips from you. Appreciate that.  :thumbup:

Our current sponsors appear to all be champing at the bit to return.

When talking to the lead CDW guy who is over our two huge dinner sponsorships ($23k), I playfully mentioned their competitor (SHI) was trying to outbid them for the slots. He yelled NOOOO!!! I laughed and told him we've never left a healthy sponsorship, and we're loyal to those who grow with us. He mentioned they would love to expand on what we're doing and contribute more going forward. We're slated to discuss what that means this week, and how we can improve on this year's misses (there aren't many). We're texting regularly now. 

Southern Pride has pledged ongoing support
RedBull thanked us profusely for letting them support us, despite the lead guy not getting into the booth Thursday due to capacity. 
Eagle Sales guy LOVED it and several of his guests had the time of their lives. 
Beam support is ongoing for sure. 
Lagunitas loves us and is already talking about next year.
The owner of Nolan Audio/Video is on the team now, and loves the event. 
Patrick Dodd (band) had a blast and has said "Consider us booked for next year".
Our large silent sponsor had an amazing time with the private feast we brought to him and his guests. He's back in for sure. 

I think the most important part of any sponsorship isn't the sale, it's the follow up. Showing how you delivered everything you said you would, and discussing how to improve and grow the relationship. 

I'm loving the stability of where we are right now. I don't miss the days of hustling for nickel and dime sponsors down to the wire to try to make ends meet. The goal was always a small stable of large, loyal sponsors who understand what we're doing and believe in it like we do. I think we're just about there, assuming this all holds true. 
Yep. Any deal I sign with a brand, I always over produce what was in the contract and am sure to point out that the contract agreed upon "A, B and C, but I also provided D and E." 

And you lucky ******* with Beam. Been wooing them for years. I guess I'm not big enough for Beam. 

Yep. Any deal I sign with a brand, I always over produce what was in the contract and am sure to point out that the contract agreed upon "A, B and C, but I also provided D and E." 

And you lucky ******* with Beam. Been wooing them for years. I guess I'm not big enough for Beam. 
Well done sir! 

The Beam deal isn't all that awesome. It is partially through the distributor (one guy on the team works for the distributor), and is product-only at this point (which certainly helps us, but isn't as good as a full sponsorship). There are rumblings it may expand, but I'm not counting chickens, yet. 

Well done sir! 

The Beam deal isn't all that awesome. It is partially through the distributor (one guy on the team works for the distributor), and is product-only at this point (which certainly helps us, but isn't as good as a full sponsorship). There are rumblings it may expand, but I'm not counting chickens, yet. 
Which is my problem. I can't do a product only thing when I'm the only one drinking it!?!?

Or can you...  :oldunsure:  
I guess it depends on how much product they send me. But in all reality, I just move on and seek out other brands that have an actual budget not just product. Booze companies in general do more product trade than anything with someone my size. Cabo Tequila being the exception. 

2018 DATES ANNOUNCED & PLANNING UNDERWAY. 
WEDNESDAY MAY 16 - SATURDAY MAY 19th - Confirmed 

Wed = Friends & Family Night (FBG guests who would like to stop in are welcome)
Thursday = Chill Day that picks up around 5pm into a Big Party Night
Friday = Fun lunch crowd, Ancillary Competition Entries in Afternoon, Band 4-7pm, Big Party Night
Saturday = Booth Closed to public for comp ribs until 2pm then laid back / moderate party till 8pm or so

Hotels are already booking fast. Lots of AirBNB Options downtown (we went this route this year). As always I'm happy to consult on lodging as Memphis can be tricky on where you want to get hotels. 

NEW BARTENDER - HOLLY : 

So a couple guys from the team have recruited this new girl to bartend at our booth next year.

Reportedly she's gung-ho about it and will be attending our Nov team meeting to meet the guys and have some drinks. Looks like we MAY be going with her and Kodie from last year. If so then we may amp up the "sexy" factor on bartender attire given both girls seem be decidedly UNShy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I really think I need to make it down this year. The last two years I've gotten invites from the Princess of BBQ and BBQ Ninja from Ubon's and Brook and Brad Orrison from the Shed. I just need to find a sponsor that wants to pay for me to attend. I think I need to shoot my guy at Traeger a text. 

I really think I need to make it down this year. The last two years I've gotten invites from the Princess of BBQ and BBQ Ninja from Ubon's and Brook and Brad Orrison from the Shed. I just need to find a sponsor that wants to pay for me to attend. I think I need to shoot my guy at Traeger a text. 
Do it buddy. You know you have a standing invite. You'd be more than welcome to broadcast behind the scenes stuff. Friday is ancillary comp and Saturday is Comp ribs (For food stuff). I'll try to think of any of our product or $$$ sponsors who may be interested in helping foot your bill for some pub as well. Nothing jumping to mind offhand but I'll keep ears open. 

NEW BARTENDER - HOLLY : 

So a couple guys from the team have recruited this new girl to bartend at our booth next year.

Reportedly she's gung-ho about it and will be attending our Nov team meeting to meet the guys and have some drinks. Looks like we MAY be going with her and Kodie from last year. If so then we may amp up the "sexy" factor on bartender attire given both girls seem be decidedly UNShy. 
Bone in. 

Do it buddy. You know you have a standing invite. You'd be more than welcome to broadcast behind the scenes stuff. Friday is ancillary comp and Saturday is Comp ribs (For food stuff). I'll try to think of any of our product or $$$ sponsors who may be interested in helping foot your bill for some pub as well. Nothing jumping to mind offhand but I'll keep ears open. 
I'm going to make a real effort next year. This year was really the first time I could've possibly done it. In years past, as a writer for Char-Broil, I had our annual meeting every May usually a week prior or the same weekend. I finally broke ties with them at the end of 2016 but then I had a new job and again I was thwarted. You know, Smithfield sent me to the Royal. Maybe I can get them to do something on MiM. Particularly since I don't need a plane ticket. I can be there in under 5 hours by car. Hmmmmmm

Sponsorship situation is working great so far. Looking like we will retail all major sponsors:
Lagunitas Brewing (Beer): Going through a corporate Re-Org but said we should be good for the usual 50 cases & 12 Kegs
Beam Suntory (liquor): In for the usual 15ish cases of Bourbon & Vodka. Unfortunately we now need 20-25 so we will have to purchase some. 
Southern Pride (Smoker): Our usual SP-700 smoker will be available for use 
Red Bull (Product & Furnishings): ~50 Cases of Product, Tables, Bar for upstairs
Nolan Audio & Video (Light & Sound): $150,000 A/V system with 4x 70" TVs, crazy light & sound system, logo projectors
CDW/Cisco/NetApp/Meraki: 99% sure we're doing the big $16.5k 100 guest dinner Thursday night
CDW/Lenovo: Looking into doing this $5.5k 30 person Friday night dinner again. 
Video Sponsor: Local insurance company ponying up $2.5k to sponsor pro video crew to document festivities this year. 
Assorted other financial sponsors all seem to be in again plus a couple new ones. 

Excited to have a pro video crew in the booth to document things again this year. Likely going to incorporate time lapse go-pro stuff for cooking and party shift / sunset shots. 

Also hiring more labor and security this year to handle the grunt work in the booth. Really hoping @tipsy mcstagger can make it up this year. We have a freecouch or place for air mattress in our condo if he does. :)  

I'm going to make a real effort next year. This year was really the first time I could've possibly done it. In years past, as a writer for Char-Broil, I had our annual meeting every May usually a week prior or the same weekend. I finally broke ties with them at the end of 2016 but then I had a new job and again I was thwarted. You know, Smithfield sent me to the Royal. Maybe I can get them to do something on MiM. Particularly since I don't need a plane ticket. I can be there in under 5 hours by car. Hmmmmmm
We just booked a 2BR AirBNB condo in the heart of downtown 0.5mi to the gate for $430 for 3 nights (wed>sat).... Just sayin. MIGHT be $450ish for Thurs>Sun. 

NEW BARTENDER - HOLLY : 

I have decided that i may have to bring her home to LA with me after competition this year.  

I have decided that i may have to bring her home to LA with me after competition this year.  
DOOR PRIZE! :lol:  

FYI Looks like we maybe escalating Sat Evening's festivities into a moderate Lights-Out Glow/LED party not unlike last year (but a bit more "planned"). Keep in mind when planning flights/lodging. 

DOOR PRIZE! :lol:  

FYI Looks like we maybe escalating Sat Evening's festivities into a moderate Lights-Out Glow/LED party not unlike last year (but a bit more "planned"). Keep in mind when planning flights/lodging. 
This year i am taking a later flight out on Sunday so that i don't have to wake up so early.  

WOOOOHOOOOO!!! Just got the approval for my trip to MiM. Traeger is picking up the tab!

So, what are we talking here? Give this MiM noob the low down on when to be there and when not to? What to see and what not to see? Where to stay, etc?

TheFanatic said:
WOOOOHOOOOO!!! Just got the approval for my trip to MiM. Traeger is picking up the tab!

So, what are we talking here? Give this MiM noob the low down on when to be there and when not to? What to see and what not to see? Where to stay, etc?
Nice! 

We have a FAQ at our site at http://usualsaucepects.com 

Wednesday: used to be team/friends&family night. Now open to the public but we will continue to keep it very low key / select guest list. Often putting finishing touches on the booth. 

Thursday: very low key from lunch till close to 5pm (good time to walk around and talk to teams). Thursday night is a big party night 5p-12am. Peak time is 7-11:30. 

Friday: Bit more of a daytime party. Ancillary comp cooking 12-3pm or so. Live music from Patrick Dodd & Special guests 3-6pm. Big party night 5p-12a. Peak time is 7-11:30. 

Saturday: Main event comp. Booth cleaned and decorated 9a-1p. Comp Ribs turned in around 2ish. Onsite judging. Very cool to see. Then very low key festivities 3till 8 or 9pm. Maybe later. Awards at main stage around 5:30. 

Sunday is tear down. 

TheFanatic said:

Nice we will all have to exchange contact info.  My bro and I will be out Tuesday.  We always stay at the Sheraton.  But if a hike home but consistently good place to stay.   Let me know if you have any specific questions that are not covered in the faq or by icon.

Nice we will all have to exchange contact info.  My bro and I will be out Tuesday.  We always stay at the Sheraton.  But if a hike home but consistently good place to stay.   Let me know if you have any specific questions that are not covered in the faq or by icon.
:goodposting:

@sbonomo prob offers fantastic perspective as someone coming in from out of town... though they’ve been coming in for so many years now, it’s hard to imagine BBQfest without them.

You’ll see when you’re here, they’re absolute rock stars in both the kitchen and the party side of things :headbang:  

Nice! 

We have a FAQ at our site at http://usualsaucepects.com 

Wednesday: used to be team/friends&family night. Now open to the public but we will continue to keep it very low key / select guest list. Often putting finishing touches on the booth. 

Thursday: very low key from lunch till close to 5pm (good time to walk around and talk to teams). Thursday night is a big party night 5p-12am. Peak time is 7-11:30. 

Friday: Bit more of a daytime party. Ancillary comp cooking 12-3pm or so. Live music from Patrick Dodd & Special guests 3-6pm. Big party night 5p-12a. Peak time is 7-11:30. 

Saturday: Main event comp. Booth cleaned and decorated 9a-1p. Comp Ribs turned in around 2ish. Onsite judging. Very cool to see. Then very low key festivities 3till 8 or 9pm. Maybe later. Awards at main stage around 5:30. 

Sunday is tear down. 
This is exactly what I needed. I'll have certain obligations to Traeger so I'll have to see what they have going each day and cross reference this. I'll also need to make the rounds and check out Ubon's, the Shed, Salt Lick, and whomever else will be down there. 

Looking at the schedule, I will probably book out of town right after work around 3 on Wed or drive down Thursday morning. Is anything happening Wed night that I should look out for? Or should I just go down on Thursday. I have about a 4 hour drive. 

I'm guessing I'll be staying wherever Traeger is staying, but yeah, we'll hang out. 

OK, now that I'm going to be there, time to start reaching out to other brands to see what I can do to make this trip a profitable one. 

This is exactly what I needed. I'll have certain obligations to Traeger so I'll have to see what they have going each day and cross reference this. I'll also need to make the rounds and check out Ubon's, the Shed, Salt Lick, and whomever else will be down there. 

Looking at the schedule, I will probably book out of town right after work around 3 on Wed or drive down Thursday morning. Is anything happening Wed night that I should look out for? Or should I just go down on Thursday. I have about a 4 hour drive. 
Wednesday night is the quiet before the storm. That, or Thursday Afternoon are probably the best times to walk around to meet & greet folks before things get rolling.

I can tell you that most kitchens will be busy Friday afternoon. Most pitmasters will be leaving early Friday evening to rest. And most kitchens will be somewhat closed on Saturday morning and early afternoon. Some guys are cooler with it than others (Depends on help, their system, their personality), but generally it's bad form to try to chat up the kitchen crews during comp cooking/turn in times (ESPECIALLY the latter). 

I have buddies on about ten teams and usually make the rounds thursday afternoon.... loading a keg or some beer/booze into a cart and going door to door. It's kinda a nice way to spend the afternoon. 

I'm guessing I'll be staying wherever Traeger is staying, but yeah, we'll hang out. 

OK, now that I'm going to be there, time to start reaching out to other brands to see what I can do to make this trip a profitable one. 
Ahem...  Any update on that thing? 

Wednesday night is the quiet before the storm. That, or Thursday Afternoon are probably the best times to walk around to meet & greet folks before things get rolling.

I can tell you that most kitchens will be busy Friday afternoon. Most pitmasters will be leaving early Friday evening to rest. And most kitchens will be somewhat closed on Saturday morning and early afternoon. Some guys are cooler with it than others (Depends on help, their system, their personality), but generally it's bad form to try to chat up the kitchen crews during comp cooking/turn in times (ESPECIALLY the latter). 

I have buddies on about ten teams and usually make the rounds thursday afternoon.... loading a keg or some beer/booze into a cart and going door to door. It's kinda a nice way to spend the afternoon. 

Ahem...  Any update on that thing? 
I'm aware of this. And will probably be at the Traeger tent trying to get content and doing Instagram Lives and at the same time trying to stay the hell out of the way. VERY poor form to be get in the way anywhere near turn ins. 

And just replied to your DM. Very busy time for the folks working on that thing. 

Wed night we will be cooking 50-60 butts so that is always fun to watch.  Pretty mellow, or at least it should be a pretty mellow, party night.  

Wed night we will be cooking 50-60 butts so that is always fun to watch.  Pretty mellow, or at least it should be a pretty mellow, party night.  
Definitely going to be heading down on Wed after talking with Icon. It's about a 4 hour drive. I could be checked in and at the park by 8ish. If I still have a day job at that point. If not, I'll be there in the afternoon and hammered by 8!

We went until roughly 11 or maybe 12:00 last year.  There should still be something going on when you get in.

Oh trust me I get it and deserve it. That would be awesome. I will definitely make it worth your time with some extra goodies to make up for last year 

Ima gonna try to make it this year! A couple questions:

1. Is there a 2018 link/first page with the pertinent info? Date, ticket info etc (the site above says "stay tuned" on those pages)

2. If not, what are some good hotel options or locations (downtown, beale st?)

3. Is camping an option IF we so desire (we likely won't but who knows)

1. Is there a 2018 link/first page with the pertinent info? Date, ticket info etc (the site above says "stay tuned" on those pages)

You and RokNRoll heading up together?

============== BASIC INFO FOR 2018 EVENT ==================

• Official MIM page with dates and whatnot is here
• Our FAQ for our booth (and the festival somewhat) is here: 
• Tickets to the festival are sold at the gate for $9/day and don't sell out. Buy them on your way in. 
• Memphis airport is about a 10-20 min drive from downtown - pending traffic. Don't think uber can pick up there but not sure. 
• The downtown bar district (Main Street, South Main, 2nd ave, and of course Beale Street) are all walkable for after-fest partying. 

------------ WHAT DAYS & TIMES TO COME -------------

- WED 5/16:  is mostly team & family/friends
- THUR 5/17: afternoon is chill - Night is a big party
- FRI 5/18: afternoon is fun "cookout vibe" with ancillary competition cooking/turn-in, and Fri night is a big party
- SAT 5/19: is closed for Rib comp until 2pm (but you can still hang outside the booth and grab beers. Small party after judging. 

---------------------- LODGING DOWNTOWN ------------------------

• If you can, stay downtown. Most anything downtown is walkable. If you don't stay downtown be prepared for $20 parking, pretty bad traffic, or surge pricing for Uber/Lyft.  

HERE IS A MAP of downtown hotels available on Kayak as of right now.
GREEN ZONE: VERY walkable to the festival
YELLOW ZONE: Getting to be a bit of a hike.
RED ZONE:  Approaching a mile... so may prefer an Uber at the end of the night.  THere is a trolley that will take you from the hotels in red zone to the festival area but that closes early in the evening so you will be on your own getting back. The area surrounding those hotels can be a little dicey but isn't too bad. 
BRIGHT GREEN AREA = Festival entrance - for reference

HOTEL TIERS: Options not listed...feel free to ask 
NICEST HOTELS: Peabody, Westin, Madison
VERY GOOD OPTIONS: Sheraton (nice but far), Napoleon, Hampton Inn, DoubleTree, Crown Plaza (nice but far)
VALUE OPTIONS: Sleep Inn, Econolodge, Comfort Inn
AVOID: Vista Inn is a ####hole and far

• AirBNB has quite a few options listed for downtown. I'm going this route for the first time this year. I'm happy to look at areas if you're nervous. 
• Camping: I'm unaware of any camping options that aren't quite a ways from the downtown area... on your own there :)

Hopefully that covers a lot of the details. I'm happy to update with any more info requested. 

Well the lawyers have gotten together and the contracts have been reviewed, re-reviewed, re-re-reviewed.

The NFLPA was consulted, Goodell has signed off on the deal. We've called in two Iron Mountain paper trucks to box up all the documentation and store it in a safe place... but the ink is dry. The strippers are being lined up for the welcome-back party.... 

The band is back together.
Neil "@tipsy mcstagger" McClure will be taking his talents BACK to The Usual Saucepects at the World Championship of BBQ next May. 

There is the formality of a team vote in a few hours at our monthly meeting... but to say the guys are excited is an understatement. :wub:  

Users who are viewing this thread