What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MEMPHIS BBQFest > 2023 > 1 Month Away - $100,000 budget due to inflation! (4 Viewers)

[icon]

Insoxicated
NOTE: THIS FIRST POST IS FROM SEVERAL YEARS AGO.
THIS THREAD CONTINUES THROUGH THE 2009/2010/2011/2012/2013 .... AND SOON TO BE 2022 FESTIVALS.

LINK TO 2022 DISCUSSION STARTS HERE >>

INTERACT WITH THE TEAM:
http://instagram.com/usualsaucepects (used a lot this year)

https://www.facebook.com/usualsaucepects/ (used a lot this year)

ORIGINAL OLD POST:

Here's my annual thread dedicated to Memphis' own "Superbowl of Swine"

Search for past threads on the event. It's covered by national news media, Food Network, etc... but here are the basics:

Hundreds of Teams from around the world descend upon Tom Lee Park on the Banks of the Mississippi River in Memphis TN to set up camp for a week and compete in one of the largest and most competitive BBQ contests in the world. We set up elaborate booths (from 10x10 to 40x60) and then throw a crazy 3 day/night long party Wed/Thurs/Fri that culminates in a more subdued day (saturday) where judging/awards take place.

Our team will once again be competing. We are attempting to improve on a 3rd place Mustard Base sauce finish last year and a 20th place finish in Ribs (out of 80+ entries). We had some issues but we'll do better this year.

Some our top Finishes:
2nd Place Wings
5th Place Vinegar Base Sauce
4th Place Tomato Base Sauce
3rd Place Mustard Base Sauce
9th Place Seafood

This year we have added another sponsor (Dr Pepper) to the folds, meaning we will be heavily stocked with all Coke Products (great or mixers), Vitamin Water (Great for hangovers), and Monster Energy Drinks. The best part, however is the Dr Pepper girls will be partying at our tent handing out samples of the new Cherry Dr Pepper.

Given the expenses incurred by larger teams like ours (providing unlimited food/alcohol for hundreds of guests to our tent each day/night) corporate sponsorship in the range of 5-10 thousand dolllars is needed. Our booth will typically go through 20+ kegs in the 3.5 day span (only 2 big nights of partying).

This year we're adding more Live DJs on the two biggest nights (thurday/Friday nights) that will be tied into a large PA system including sound-activated motion lights / lasers /etc. Our tent is typically one of the bigger independent parties in the event.

Couple Pics:
Photo of small section of the park from above
Looking over the DJ's shoulder out into part of the crowd
Out back - manning the Smoker
Custom Cornhole Boards
Team on 2nd deck of our BBQ trailer with trophy

I will likely be documenting the event with various pics and whatnot. A few guys on the team and I usually get a few rooms downtown that are stumbling distance from the park and basically live at the festival. Our days basically consist of:

10am Wake & Crack First Beer (no open container rules Downtown during this festival)
11am Arrive at Park
12pm Serve Lunch (Cook team was up all night cooking)
12:30 - 5pm - Drink / Play Games (cornhole/darts/dominos/poker) while soaking in the sun
6pm - Serve Dinner
6:30 Run back to rooms to shower up and change up
7pm - 12pm - All out party. Music blaring (few booths have live DJs like us), kegs flowing.
12pm - Party moves to Beale Street where bars/clubs close at 6am

In the limited lucid moments I will be posting pics on another site for friends and family back home in Boston. I'll likely document items of interest here...namely chicks, BBQ, and crazy rednecks (in that order).

Anyone else going to be down there?

Last edited:
So, is this open to the public?
yes and no. The park itself is open. There is a $7 entry fee and you are welcome to walk around and peer in at all the teams doing their thing (cooking/partying). There are concessions: Your typical festival crap like funnel cakes and Proto Pups, plus two good BBQ Vendors (Willinghams and Corky's) are represented but prices are not cheap. Beers are $4/ea for 16oz draft or cans... bud or bud light only. IF you know someone on a team that will let you into their tent, or are able to talk your way into one. It's a whole different world. Each "tent" is a private party with unlimted kegs, typically full bars (all free), free food... loud ### music...people dancing and just having a great time. Once you're in the tent it's pretty much completely free as you're a guest of the team. That's where the REAL parties are at. All of the attractive women are in tents as most teams have a strict policy against guys we don't know but if a group of attractive women show up our bouncer knows to recruit them into the tent. Honestly if you don't know someone on a team that will let you into their tent, it's not really worth it unless you enjoy people watching (and it is epic here I might add). At night the sidewalks are jammed with folks and is a massive meat market (pun intended) so you CAN have fun outside the team tents... but not nearly as much.EDIT: In reference to your BBQ comment about it being available. They used to have a tasters tent where you could be competition submissions from blind boxes for $1/bone (ribs) but it was a logistical nightmare and the large vendors #####ed so they stopped that. The two companies serving BBQ are both top end vendors, however. Willinghams was a perennial winner at this event and Corkys is one of the best in town when they are on their game. You'll get A- BBQ out of those vendors...which would be A+ BBQ for any other event.

Last edited by a moderator:
You gotta love Memphis Weather in May

:goodposting:

I can't think of a single year in the last decade that musicfest and/or BBQfest didn't get just dumped on. If it's just a passing storm it's no biggie as our setup allows for quick "coverage" but if it rains all weekend long it's going to be annoying as hell. As of now Thursday is looking perfect.

You gotta love Memphis Weather in May

:shrug:

I can't think of a single year in the last decade that musicfest and/or BBQfest didn't get just dumped on. If it's just a passing storm it's no biggie as our setup allows for quick "coverage" but if it rains all weekend long it's going to be annoying as hell. As of now Thursday is looking perfect.
I remember Roker doing a special on this and getting absolutely drenched....Oh and Icon, I am so incredibly jealous of you right now....I SOOOOO want to do this some time....

Load In Day was yesterday (Sunday), pushed back from the usual Saturday due to the horrifically muddy conditions at the park (from Musicfest 2 weeks earlier). We finally got our trailer into the park around 3pm or so. There were massive logistics issues due to the conditions which let do us not even getting our raised flooring delivered/installed before we had to leave at 8pm.

We really were only able ot get the trailer parked, Got the tarp system rigged (drops down quickly in the event of rain. We got some light cleaning done though the trailer was used just last weekend for another major event so it was in good shape. We fired up the grill and cooked some smoked sausages to snack on while we worked. There is a LOT of work to do over the next 2-3 days once the floors are laid down and the tents are set up (we outsourced that).

I did snap a few photos for those following along at home.

Our Lot - The Mudpit

Our lot when we got there. It was a MUD PIT... as was the rest of the park. Thank God we've got raised flooring with carpeting.

Backing in the Trailer

Backing in the trailer. This thing is NOT light and NOT small. And it was being backed into what resembled oatmeal. Yet, despite this, our guy, (armed with an F350 Superduty Diesel that never missed a beat) was able to not only get in into the lot easily, but parked so perfectly it's actually TOUCHING the neighbors lattice fence without damaging it. Boy's got skills.

Waiting for Flooring

Here lies the trailer laden with the bar, fences, coolers, cleaning supplies, etc. . We got the tarps rigged and got a lot of cleaning done while waiting on the flooring and tents. There is a lot more work to be done before thursday... Cleaning, Pressure Washing, Setup, Painting, Light Carpentry, etc.

View from upper deck of the Trailer

The view from our upper deck. It's an ugly day and the park is a mess right now, but it's an unobstructed view of downtown and the Mighty MIssissippi. Going to be a spectacular spot later in the week once the sun is shining the the park comes alive with tens of thousands of people, blaring music, and smoke rising from literally tons of meat being slow smoked to perfection....

"Disco Wristband" - 24hr Access Team Band

24 Hour Team Wristband. Upside: Unlimited Access to the Park. Downside: Stuck wearing it all week including at the office. I don't think I need to explain how this resembles the "still have the wristband from the bars the night before" look. Thankfully most of the people at my office know I'm participating in BBQfest so they know what's going on. At least it's a subtle shiny holographic metallic gold color. :lmao:

More to come.... :goodposting:

One thing I forgot to mention is the interesting dynamic down there. Everyone's pretty buddy buddy. The guys next to us had been working their asses off all day when we showed up around 2pm. We, having done this before, had a large cooler of beer and some food. These guys apparently planned poorly and had no beer. They saw us cracking a few cans while unloading and a guy came over and offered $10 for a single beer. :rant:

My buddy tossed him 4 or 5 beers and said don't sweat it. They then told us to come by wed and they'd have a bottle of patron for us (apparently one of the guys is a liquor distributor). :kicksrock:

One thing I forgot to mention is the interesting dynamic down there. Everyone's pretty buddy buddy. The guys next to us had been working their asses off all day when we showed up around 2pm. We, having done this before, had a large cooler of beer and some food. These guys apparently planned poorly and had no beer. They saw us cracking a few cans while unloading and a guy came over and offered $10 for a single beer. :lmao:

My buddy tossed him 4 or 5 beers and said don't sweat it. They then told us to come by wed and they'd have a bottle of patron for us (apparently one of the guys is a liquor distributor). :cry:
Trust me, this is a person you want to become friends with.

One thing I forgot to mention is the interesting dynamic down there. Everyone's pretty buddy buddy. The guys next to us had been working their asses off all day when we showed up around 2pm. We, having done this before, had a large cooler of beer and some food. These guys apparently planned poorly and had no beer. They saw us cracking a few cans while unloading and a guy came over and offered $10 for a single beer. :lmao:

My buddy tossed him 4 or 5 beers and said don't sweat it. They then told us to come by wed and they'd have a bottle of patron for us (apparently one of the guys is a liquor distributor). :banned:
No doubt! :thumbup: We already have a loose sponsorship with Coors that affords us 10 kegs to get started. The Dr Pepper rep is buddies with another liquor rep and worked a deal for a nice stock of premium liquors (6-8 handles I believe). I suspect we might end up working out some sort of arrangement with our neighbors for additional bottles of Patron as our crew likes their shots.

As an aside, one of the guys' wives is a nurse and he's a medical sales rep or something...don't know the specifics. All I know is we somehow scored 1000 syringes (unused, no needles) and they have thus-far converted 800 into jello "swine-flu shooters". Instead of a traditional cup we will be "injecting" the gelled shots into folks' mouths over the bar. Could be interesting. I had my doubts but they have tested them and say they work great. :lmao:

My buddy tossed him 4 or 5 beers and said don't sweat it. They then told us to come by wed and they'd have a bottle of patron for us (apparently one of the guys is a liquor distributor). :thumbup:
No doubt! :thumbup: We already have a loose sponsorship with Coors that affords us 10 kegs to get started. The Dr Pepper rep is buddies with another liquor rep and worked a deal for a nice stock of premium liquors (6-8 handles I believe). I suspect we might end up working out some sort of arrangement with our neighbors for additional bottles of Patron as our crew likes their shots.

As an aside, one of the guys' wives is a nurse and he's a medical sales rep or something...don't know the specifics. All I know is we somehow scored 1000 syringes (unused, no needles) and they have thus-far converted 800 into jello "swine-flu shooters". Instead of a traditional cup we will be "injecting" the gelled shots into folks' mouths over the bar. Could be interesting. I had my doubts but they have tested them and say they work great. :lmao:
Awesome. :banned:

So, is this open to the public?
yes and no. The park itself is open. There is a $7 entry fee and you are welcome to walk around and peer in at all the teams doing their thing (cooking/partying). There are concessions: Your typical festival crap like funnel cakes and Proto Pups, plus two good BBQ Vendors (Willinghams and Corky's) are represented but prices are not cheap. Beers are $4/ea for 16oz draft or cans... bud or bud light only. IF you know someone on a team that will let you into their tent, or are able to talk your way into one. It's a whole different world. Each "tent" is a private party with unlimted kegs, typically full bars (all free), free food... loud ### music...people dancing and just having a great time. Once you're in the tent it's pretty much completely free as you're a guest of the team. That's where the REAL parties are at. All of the attractive women are in tents as most teams have a strict policy against guys we don't know but if a group of attractive women show up our bouncer knows to recruit them into the tent.
I was in town for business a couple of years ago and sort of stumbled across the festival. Being a novice BBQ'er myself, I was psyched about getting down there after my meeting. I was really hoping to try some great barbecue but was sorely disappointed when I found out that you had to be with one of the tents in order to get the goods. :unsure: :angry: I was able to walk around a bit and check out some of the mammoth smokers but not being able to try anything despite having the smell of smoked meat all around kind of sucked. As Icon stated, if you're not invited to a tent, it's really not worth your while.

Senor,

That is very much true. First year I was down there I didn't know anyone. Sucked. As you go more frequently you amass a group of tents you're welcome at. I typically bounce around between a half dozen tents to check out different food / different crowds.... especially during the day.

I can't guarantee tent entry to everyone but, I will hand off a plate of 'que and a beer to anyone I know (or any FBGs) that swing by when we' have food out,

One thing I forgot to mention is the interesting dynamic down there. Everyone's pretty buddy buddy. The guys next to us had been working their asses off all day when we showed up around 2pm. We, having done this before, had a large cooler of beer and some food. These guys apparently planned poorly and had no beer. They saw us cracking a few cans while unloading and a guy came over and offered $10 for a single beer. :thumbdown:

My buddy tossed him 4 or 5 beers and said don't sweat it. They then told us to come by wed and they'd have a bottle of patron for us (apparently one of the guys is a liquor distributor). :thumbup:
No doubt! :goodposting: We already have a loose sponsorship with Coors that affords us 10 kegs to get started. The Dr Pepper rep is buddies with another liquor rep and worked a deal for a nice stock of premium liquors (6-8 handles I believe). I suspect we might end up working out some sort of arrangement with our neighbors for additional bottles of Patron as our crew likes their shots.

As an aside, one of the guys' wives is a nurse and he's a medical sales rep or something...don't know the specifics. All I know is we somehow scored 1000 syringes (unused, no needles) and they have thus-far converted 800 into jello "swine-flu shooters". Instead of a traditional cup we will be "injecting" the gelled shots into folks' mouths over the bar. Could be interesting. I had my doubts but they have tested them and say they work great. :thumbdown:
you guys don't #### around, that is for sure.

JerseyToughGuys said:
you guys don't #### around, that is for sure.
:bag:We're one of the harder partying groups out there as far as independent (not company financed) teams. There are a lot of crazy setups that cost boatloads of cash, but for what we are (just a group of buddies who locked in some decent sponsorship dollars) we do alright. There is one new team formed by Fred Smith's Son (of FedEx fame) and a couple other local playboys (term used loosely). I think they're called "porkin millionaires" or something of the like. They have a new Sprint car trailer that has been converted into a full on enclosed kitchen with a sound system that is just ######ed. Haven't seen/heard it but someone said they had Fifteen 12" Subs in the thing. I'll be taking lots of pictures of the various setups, the great BBQ, strange characters, and of course the chicks.

Tiger Fan said:
Damn...would love to get down for this some year...sounds like a blast
Come on GB... you're MORE than welcome. Bring up a group of your friends and come do it up right.

If you ever need a extra hand let me know, I would love to attend one year and I'm sure that could prove to be an asset in more ways than one.

If you ever need a extra hand let me know, I would love to attend one year and I'm sure that could prove to be an asset in more ways than one.
I would be up for this as well. Hey, maybe we form an FBG team? Joe provides the Big E and sponsors us to pay for all the booze, meat, and chicks in slutty outfits to serve drinks and Q and we go down and own that event!?! Joe, that work for you? Think of all the advertising for the Porketeria and it's practically in your back yard!!

If you want to go head and plan on coming down next year that would be fine by me. :no: Be sure to lock in hotel rooms WELL in advance as they are all gone months before the event. You definitely want to stay DOWNTOWN for the event. Search by address 1 Beale STreet and keep it within a mile or two. I've got tremendous respect for your 'que chops and our lead cook is not so overly proud as to ignore input from others. Last year we switched rubs on our blind box ribs at the last minute because a rub a new guy on the team had made proved to be better.

I would be up for this as well. Hey, maybe we form an FBG team? Joe provides the Big E and sponsors us to pay for all the booze, meat, and chicks in slutty outfits to serve drinks and Q and we go down and own that event!?! Joe, that work for you? Think of all the advertising for the Porketeria and it's practically in your back yard!!
Nice idea :no: I could get our budget for our team but I think we run in the $12-15k range for the event. I believe a decent lot like ours (30x50) is around $1200 just for the space. Then you're looking at flooring, tents, furnishings, Sound system rental, consumables (cups/plates/charcoal/etc), then there's the food and beverage which adds up VERY VERY fast if you're going to be entertaining folks. Most tents serve lunch and dinner to their guests, with beverages flowing all day and night. YOu can do it small scale (Patio Porkers) but that's not very fun. :wall:

If you want to go head and plan on coming down next year that would be fine by me. :popcorn: Be sure to lock in hotel rooms WELL in advance as they are all gone months before the event. You definitely want to stay DOWNTOWN for the event. Search by address 1 Beale STreet and keep it within a mile or two. I've got tremendous respect for your 'que chops and our lead cook is not so overly proud as to ignore input from others. Last year we switched rubs on our blind box ribs at the last minute because a rub a new guy on the team had made proved to be better.
Thanks, I'll start looking in the next month or so and let you know what I find. Also if there is anything I can bring to help, smokers. wood, coolers, etc., let me know and I will haul it up there.

Our setup is actually fairly solid. Our Primary Cooker where we cook all turn-in meat is a Tucker

For larger cooks as needed we have a massive built in cooker at the end of the trailer. It is 40" x 10 feet with an attached firebox and two smoke stacks for ventilation. We don't use it for turn in stuff as our head cook prefers the tucker for temp controls, but the other team that uses the trailer at times uses the large attached smoker exclusively and has fared very well in competitions with it. They say they've got it to hold 225 great...so theoretically we've got ALL the capacity we need grill-wise :rolleyes:

Also on the trailer we have:

• On board water tank with stainless prep surfaces/sink

• Large Deep Freeze Chest (mostly for ice)

• Large side By side fridge/freezer for food storage

• Large glass-front vertical "convenience store style" Beverage refrigerator that we've modiied the shelving in to hold the meat.

• Two large electrical "ice tubs" that hold ice great. We use one to ice down non-alcholic beverages, and one to keep 2 "on deck" kegs chilled and ready for deployment.

We've never had a shortage of charcoal/wood ether so I imagine all you'd have to bring is yourself :banned:

You guys really like food.
:shrug: The BBQ/competition is certainly part of it, (all of it for some teams). I know everyone on our team cares how we finish... but I'd say for our team its' 70% the party and 30% the food/competition. Eating good BBQ is certainly nice. Drinking beer and relaxing/partying all week long with your buddies is nicer.

Our setup is actually fairly solid. Our Primary Cooker where we cook all turn-in meat is a Tucker

For larger cooks as needed we have a massive built in cooker at the end of the trailer. It is 40" x 10 feet with an attached firebox and two smoke stacks for ventilation. We don't use it for turn in stuff as our head cook prefers the tucker for temp controls, but the other team that uses the trailer at times uses the large attached smoker exclusively and has fared very well in competitions with it. They say they've got it to hold 225 great...so theoretically we've got ALL the capacity we need grill-wise :shrug:

Also on the trailer we have:

• On board water tank with stainless prep surfaces/sink

• Large Deep Freeze Chest (mostly for ice)

• Large side By side fridge/freezer for food storage

• Large glass-front vertical "convenience store style" Beverage refrigerator that we've modiied the shelving in to hold the meat.

• Two large electrical "ice tubs" that hold ice great. We use one to ice down non-alcholic beverages, and one to keep 2 "on deck" kegs chilled and ready for deployment.

We've never had a shortage of charcoal/wood ether so I imagine all you'd have to bring is yourself :bag:
Easy enough. If a need arises I have unlimited access to Pecan and Oak sticks.

Some pics of the attached grill

(old camphone pics..apologize in advance for quality)

Slabs on the Grill

A shot to give you an idea of the size of cooking area.

The Firebox being stoked by Bishop.

The firebox has been modified since but that is at least an idea of what you're looking at.

Kitchen Area

Not the best shot but you can see the deep freeze to the left, the stainles counters to the right, and the smoker to the back. This was an un-polished test cook before the competition last year. We store the trailer out at some guys' farm which explains the rural surroundings. The thing actually cleans up pretty nice once we prep it for competitions.

:wall:

Some pics of the attached grill

(old camphone pics..apologize in advance for quality)

Slabs on the Grill

A shot to give you an idea of the size of cooking area.

The Firebox being stoked by Bishop.

The firebox has been modified since but that is at least an idea of what you're looking at.

Kitchen Area

Not the best shot but you can see the deep freeze to the left, the stainles counters to the right, and the smoker to the back. This was an un-polished test cook before the competition last year. We store the trailer out at some guys' farm which explains the rural surroundings. The thing actually cleans up pretty nice once we prep it for competitions.
Looks niceAre the dates for 2010 announced yet?

dates not yet announced but going off history it would be MOST LIKELY Wed May 12 thru Sat May 16th.

Load in would be 8th. Load-out the 16th.

Joe's Big-E/Porketeria by day and Icon's tent by night?

Semi patio porking but with BIG party access?

Sounds like heaven to me!!

zander_s said:
Joe's Big-E/Porketeria by day and Icon's tent by night?Semi patio porking but with BIG party access?Sounds like heaven to me!!
We need to make this happen. The Big E should be done by next year. Joe should have no problem ponying up $12-15K. Of course the subscriber contest might not pay quite as much as in years past. BigJohn on board too. We got the makins of a team!?!?!

zander_s said:
Joe's Big-E/Porketeria by day and Icon's tent by night?

Semi patio porking but with BIG party access?

Sounds like heaven to me!!
We need to make this happen. The Big E should be done by next year. Joe should have no problem ponying up $12-15K. Of course the subscriber contest might not pay quite as much as in years past. BigJohn on board too. We got the makins of a team!?!?!
:own3d:

:fishing:

Our income is derived from a variety of sources. Team dues are about $350/person for the week. With about 15 guys that helps a lot ($5k ish).. then we pull down a good $7.5k from one sponsor (InvestorNation.com) and 2k from another (Dr Pepper).

Multiple sponsors helps.

Just got confirmation that a buddy was able to get 4 Bottles of Chilean Pisco for me. Apparently not imported into TN due to some stupid laws. Now I get to make authentic Chilean Pisco Sours for during the day. (Theme country is Chile this year).

2oz Capel Pisco

1oz Lime Juice

1/4oz Simple Syrup

1/2 Egg White

Shake Vigorously over Ice - STrain into fluted glass

Top with dash of Angorstura Bitters

:thumbup:

Joe's Big-E/Porketeria by day and Icon's tent by night?Semi patio porking but with BIG party access?Sounds like heaven to me!!
This needs a bump.[icon], where are more pics? :confused:

Sorry guys. Was a busy day yesterday so didn't get a chance to post some pics. I've got some processing through my facebook right now via mobile updates that should be ready to share shortly. Once they are online I will post them up for you guys to see.

Pisco sours were a HUGE hit. Plowed through 2 of the 3 bottles we bought of Pisco Capel and last night was a limited access team-only night. Tonight and tomorrow night are the big parties. I've hit the local liquor store and put the remaining supply on hold to pick up today (9 more bottles). That will put us at 12 bottles. Apparently they were the only place that got any, and they only had 2 cases brought in so we now account for 50% of the entire supply of Chilean liquor for the city of Memphis. Surprising given every tent down there is operating under the same theme. I guess we hogged it all. :thumbup:

Weather was great. Mid 80s and Sunny. Perfect.

Today we're expecting rain on and off during the day but a clear night.

Tomorrow should be great.

Saturday might have some light showers.

Overall looking up :confused:

Tonight should be verrrry interesting...

Users who are viewing this thread