What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MEMPHIS BBQFest > 2023 > 1 Month Away - $100,000 budget due to inflation! (3 Viewers)

Mustard 34
Tomato 27
Wings 102
Vinegar 72

disappointed with the slip in mustard. Same exact recipe that finished 9th and 5th last two years. 

Somewhat quasi-happy with the jump tomato base as I was playing with a new style and finished in the 60s or 70s (mid pack) last year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't compete, it's just a customer/supplier event for them. I wasn't able to be down there to cook, which is why I forgot to say something until Friday.

WEDNESDAY: The quiet/lowkey "Team and Freinds/Family" Evening....

We had meat on the smoker bright and early. I rolled into the park around 11am and finished setting up. We had gotten a ton done Sunday so it wasn't too bad. 

Icing down some Lagunitas 12th of Never

Booth mostly set up and ready

Keith and Tommy shticking it up for the "Big Hog Run", a 0.2k race that scored based on a factor of time, BMI, and BAC or something. I don't even remember. 

They decided to shout out to Lagunitas by shotgunning a 12th of never as the starting gun went off, then running the race while drinking another. Lagunitas rep replied "This is why I love this team" when I sent it over to her. 

The booth decorated and ready for folks

Saucing butts

C17 Flyover - Buzzed the hell out of the park, just was busy so didn't get a great shot. Better video from my buddy's team here. 

Nolan A/V Tech programming the lighting rig on the $132k light and sound system

Things picking up. Most booths were pretty dead. Ours started early and ended up as full as it's ever been on a Wednesday. 

Kitchen team pulling 500lb or so of pork as night fell

Not the best shot but you could see our booth from Beale Street apparently.

Firing up the outside intelligent lighting that swept the sky, or the ground in front of the booth. Also would turn them across the river to the western banks and lit up arkansas. THey were potent. Naturally we had two more on the back of the booth. 

Picking up comp ribs... Compart Durocs trimmed by the best local butcher.  $430 for 16 slabs 

The team held a small ceremony and announced that my GF has been named to the team.... the first female in 13ish years of the overall team history. She busts her ### year round prepping for this thing so it was well deserved. Total surprise. She's very humble so she got pretty emotional over it. It was really cool of the guys to do... meant so much to her. 

Tip total.. about $800. A new record for Wednesday night...

Next up.... Thursday.... Rain, a $16,5000 sponsor dinner, Destroying a $35,000 smoker's innards, and "selling" nearly every drop of our week's supply of booze and mixers in one night..... 

Riverboat shot of Memphis In May World Championship of Barbecue

You can spot our booth as the first double decker with a tent on top, below the end of the long townhouse compex atop the bluff. 

To put it in perspective that very wide white tent almost at the end of the photo is the Honda Judges Tent in this map.... So about mid-park. And you can see, there are multiple roads/rows of booths behind just this mile-long stretch right on the water's edge. 

This festival is massive. 

I forgot to mention, Wednesday  our booth and I ended up on the news.What started as a quick drop in on lots of different boohts turned into a full on 2+ minute feature on our booth alone. They even broadcast the intro/outro live out in front of our booth as we watched from inside. I got talked into doing the on-camera interview by the rest of the team.. not really my specialty but it turned out okay. Very happy for the coverage. 

Thursday

Walking up to the booth I snapped a quick shot of one of the decorative touches the GF adds. Hand-cut stencil used on some burlap sacks for some hanging ferns to add a little ambiance to the metal cage that is a scaffold. This stuff really helps our booth feel more like a living room than a scaffold structure. 

I was already a bit dehyrdrated and worn out so I requested the paramedics from @Tusken Raider's Memphis Fire tent next door to hook me up with an IV to help me get right. Worked like a charm. 

We had a valued Sponsor coming in around 3 for a quick visit so we had some special dishes we were preparing for him (dry run of ancillaries plus other stuff). Turns out he's 90 mins early so we are scrambling. @sbonomo cooks up his 40day dry aged porterhouse (so ####### good), We had a local sushi chef bring in some Tuna Poke tacos  (alternate pic) and big eye tuna sashimi (sorta, seared), some awesome lamb chops (alternate pic), etc.  He and his guests loved it, naturally. 

Around 4pm chaos hit. A Shear pin failed in our Southern Pride smoker that caused a chain reaction in the rotisserie system resulting in all the hanging racks (and the 75ish slabs of ribs hanging on them) to end up in a twisted mass bent steel and smoked meat on the floor of the smoker

Keep in mind we were feeding 100 sponsors as part of a $16,500 sponsor dinner in 1 hour.... 

(to be continued)

Sooo.. by some miracle, this crash happened as the ribs were done and resting... and somehow 90+% of the slabs were not damaged. So we had some folks scrambling to extract slabs and twisted racks from the smoker, some trimming and finishing the ribs to serve for dinner. All this as sponsors are making their way into the booth, grabbing drinks, and heading upstairs. 

Dinner went off without a hitch. Upstairs setup prior to the GF running black tablecloths with nice mirror based floating candle centerpieces

TV Crews started circling the booth. Some HBO Crew ended up inside the booth for a good hour. 

Crowds start filling in before sunset

CDW and Cisco folks LOVED the custom aging barrel of old fashioneds and were posing for pics with it

Sponsor dinner in full swing

Cathy, our Lagunitas Rep for the region was hanging out and begged to take my bar shift and sling some beers. She's awesome as hell and an absolute pleasure to plan/work events with. Coolest chick ever. 

Sun setting, crowds gathering outside and inside

Inside it's getting packed, and the light/sound system started really flexing

View from behind the bar as things hitting stride

Upstairs we had a big Nashville Predators watch party

The party went off without incident. We shut down around midnight closing the evening with Temple of the Dog "Say Hello to Heaven" in tribute to Chris. 

After we are done closing the booth, a buddy from Memphis fire came by and played their nightly bagpipe closedown tribute in our booth which was awesome. I can't stress enough how great it is being neighbors with those guys. Lots of sharing of various things, fun guys to drink with, etc.... already making plans to be neighbors yet again next year. 

Cleaned up, then called in a favor from Shelby County SWAT team that works the park, and got a ride from our booth back to our hotel. When he pulled up to the Westin, yelled to the valet/bell guys that he just picked this crew up at 201 (downtown jail) and was going to leave them here for a bit. They were like  :shock: . Then he opens the back door to let us out, laughing, and says "Don't worry it's just the usual saucepects" as we got out. :lol:

For the rest of our stay the entire hotel staff knew who we were and laughed about it, doing anything we asked.

Counting out tips at 2am... $2700... a new record

NEXT UP: Friday: Extreme weather and bomb threats close the park down for hours... but the show must go on.

Friday morning we head down to an incoming storm. We scramble to get tarps up. We have Southern Pride BBQ mechanic in the booth by 8am and he fixes the smoker.

As ancillary entries are being cooked a storm hits. MEmphis in may freezes timelines and stops taking turn ins, then evacuates the park. We refuse to leave as we have seveal key entries (poultry, seafood, beef, exotic) underway and trying to meet turn in deadlines. Storm passes but then word spreads about as suspicious package at the north entrance. MIM clears all the judges out the south entrance therefore pushing comp entries back hours.... while everyone's entries are in process.

I'll let you guys in on a little secret. There's not way to turn a 30 min duck or salmon cook into a 6 hour cook. 

They freeze entry to the park until 4:30... even for team. They claim it's for inclement weather... but it didn't rain a drop after 11am that day. Total ####show. Our liquor re-stock supply, our band (with equipment), etc are all stuck waiting outside. Total bull####. 

Finally the park reopens. We get rolling on another batch of ancillary entries. Bonus pic. Bonus bonus pic.

We get the band set up and they go on late (6:30 - were supposed to play 4-7pm)

Be sure to check out the video of "Jolene" on our facebook page. There is something magical about having an incredible live act in your booth as the sun sets over the river, with the smoke in the air... that just defines this festival for me. It's so silly it's illegal... but thankfully we continue to get away with it, because it's my favorite part every year. Was happy some folks like @sbonomo got to see PAtrick and Josh play finally after years of me raving about their talent level. @tipsy mcstagger would have loved it..wish you were there, buddy. 

Crowd fills in. CDW / Lenovo Sponsors head upstairs for $6500 dinner. 

After the band the DJs kick up and the place gets mobbed almost instantly. At this point my GF is VERY drunk, something's not right. I leave the park around 9:30 with her in tow. Very unsteady. Gets sick back at the room. Can't even crawl. I'm worried she's drugged. Around 1:00am a nurse friend (Fiancee of team member) comes and checks on her at my request. She's okay. We fall asleep around 2am. 

Reportedly the booth did great. Killer party. $2000ish in tips. Paid the band ($600) and bartenders ($1300) and the team did a great job shutting down in my absence. Hated leaving them hanging but was sincerely worried about the GF. 

No pics from that part of the night other than this one from a professional photographer buddy

NEXT UP: Competition Saturday.... 

SATURDAY MORNING:  COMPETITION DAY

Pit team arrive bright and early. The rest of the team trickles in between 9 and 11am to clean the booth, decorate for judging, etc.  Keep in mind this place has served a thousand pounds of mean and 7-8000 drinks in the previous 48 hours or so.... it's trashed. Our team is remarkably good at whipping the place into shape though, and after a couple hours it's transformed from a full on nightclub into the closest approximation of a fine dining establishment you can create on the river. 

Comp Ribs on the smoker

Taking them off for assembling blind box

Trimming sections of the slabs for inclusion in the blind box

Box is in our heat bag and ready to be run to the judging booth by Bash

Now we have about 15 mins to prepare 3 more slabs for onsite judging... we will have 3 judges come through the booth, one at a time, for 15 minutes each, with a 5 minute reset window between each. The team lines up inside the booth as our pitmaster greets him or her, we introduce ourselves, then most of the team disperses except for out pitmaster (who handles presentation), Myself (carries the slab from smoker to table, and keeps time, indicating to the pitmaster how much time we have left, our "Door man" who helps them into the booth, then ensures nobody walks in during judging. 

Our first judge enters the booth

He's rather quiet... but seems to enjoy the ribs immensely. Otherwise it's an uneventful visit.

Another shot of him eating with our door guy in place holding the "Hush Ya'll" paddles from the FedEx St Jude Classic course workers. They're not for sale to the public, but my old employer, True Temper Golf Shafts, sponsors them and they use Dynamic Gold golf shafts for the handles. The CEO is a good buddy and brought 2 down for my on my request for use on Saturday judging (the park is very quiet but some folks don't know that). They are somewhat of a "signature thing" for the City of memphis. 

Memphis in May photographers onsite noticed them and used photos of them on Instagram and Twitter as the "Remember to be quiet today" posts, which was pretty cool. 

The judge leaves and the team rushes back into the booth to replace plates, water glasses, top off the carafe, replace origami napkin, wipe down the 1000 year old custom engraved mesquite cutting board we present on, and to glaze and load the next slab into the smoker. It's a surprisingly well-oiled process and we can usually reset in 90 seconds to 2 mins.... 

Here's a shot of the view our judges have while they eat, btw. Many teams try to enclose the judges in small spaces to hide distractions. We like to have them facing out looking at the Mississippi for a calming/scenic view. We feel it enhances the experience. 

Second Judge In. A bit more vocal. Raves about the ribs. 

Third Judge comes In. A bit more experienced judge. We run into a potential hiccup.. our pitmaster will tear the end two bones off the slab in front of the judge and hand them the heart of the slab. It's intended to show confidence that our slab will tear perfectly. A bad tear and you're in trouble so it's a gamble.

Well, they tear well, but the judge interprets that as us attempting to hide overdone ends, and proceeds to ignore the heart of the slab and start eating the end bones from the cutting board. Pitmaster keeps his cool but nobody wants to be judged on bones 9 and 10 of a slab. Thankfully they are perfectly done and judge raves about how hard that is to do... then proceeds to get into the heart of the slab, and continues to rave about how good they are. Saying things like "These are perfect", "You should win it all", etc. He stays almost 10 minutes over his 15 min alotted time which is a no-no but his handler is having so much fun with our guys outside he doesnt come crack down on us.

He finally leaves and we immediately begin resetting the table for finals judging (top 3 teams are re-judged onsite by 4 judges instead of one). Our guests who have been sitting outside for an hour file into the tent and begin drinking and socializing. We protect the finals table with chairs and try to remind everyone to not make a mess, as we will have 10 minutes notice of potential judges. 

Judges come back one by one to inform us they "Gave us our ten" which means we got perfect scores, which they can only give to one of the three teams they judge. The team begins getting excited. Then we hear no finals (top 3). Damn.. well we're sure we're getting top 10 (walk on stage).... but they announce there will be a 90 minute delay to announce top 10. Why does it take an extra 90 mins to do the math on the last 7? Dunno. Odd.

We eventually find out we're not top 10. WTF. Only possible explaination is hitting a bad table in blind box judging. ####. 

So we skip awards, get food out for our guests, snap our annual team photo, and begin to party. 

Tommy dons the pig suit and re-opens the driving range.

Then the plates come out for the annual rating of the barbe-cuties (women walking by)

Tommy can't resist a camera

Low key party continues and we enjoy a remarkable sunset

Bonus sunset flag pic

Once the sun is about down, things start getting a little rowdier.

Usually we leave around sunset, but having went home early Friday night I felt horrible not closing down the booth Saturday. Well, the DJ team decides they don't want to fire up the big lighting setup... so I get an idea. We had about 50 of the customized LED Foam wands left.... so I give them to team members to hand out, and we were going to have a blackout party

It ended up being pretty damn cool.  and was a great contrast to the massive lighting setup from the previous nights. A great way to end the festival I think. We finally shut down the booth around 10:30 or so and headed home. 

Sunday from 11am-2pm we tore down the booth.

Another year in the books.

Until May 2018... 

How didn't they notice a dude sleeping on their trunk?

How'd the team do in the competition?
20th in Ribs (Very good but slightly disappointing finish given the perfect onsite scores). 

20-something in my tomato base (most competitive sauce category. Nice improvement with my rework) 

30-something in my mustard base (after 5th last year and 9th the year before this is a disappointment. Let a buddy mix this batch (by my recipe) but I'm thinking it's much more due to table variance than anything he did wrong. 

We had a horrible finish in wings. 

Never heard on other ancillaries honestly, but figuring no news is bad news (as in no top 20's). 

Good story, enjoyed following this.   Better luck next year.  Some great pics in there, btw.  

Also, is it really safe having all those people up on scaffolding?   

ps: I think you're absolutely right about having the judges eat with a nice view.

Good story, enjoyed following this.   Better luck next year.  Some great pics in there, btw.  

Also, is it really safe having all those people up on scaffolding?   

ps: I think you're absolutely right about having the judges eat with a nice view.
Thanks GB. Glad some folks enjoy following along. It's a very unique/interesting event for sure. I sadly don't think I ever saw @cosjobs :(

Yes the scaffold is built to support several times the weight we place on it. Keep in mind the bar area (probably 20' x 12' section) probably holds 5-6000lbs between 12 kegs, 15 cases of booze, 50 gallons of mixers, Bags of ice, cases of red bull, kegerator, bar, two refrigeration units, etc. 

Our biggest restricting factor is Fire-Marshall imposed capacity based on the staircase size, and square footage. 

UPDATE: 5th place Exotic! 

Somehow we missed this but our lamb took 5th in Exotic!

FULL RESULTS:

Exotic 5th of 101

Ribs 20th of 120

Tomato Base Sauce 27th of 134

Beef 60th of 135

Mustard Base Sauce 32nd of 88

Vinegar Base Sauce 73rd of 78

Seafood 80th of 120

Hot Wings 102nd of 139 

Poultry 109 of 119

Im not sure, I can ask the guy who cooked it but he's generally close to the vest with his stuff. 
Any pics of said  lamb dish? Was it chops, steak, pulled? 

ETA : I'm  guessing this is it www.instagram.com/p/BUPz1xHF8Gp

Grats on 5th place, and thank you for your continued efforts to show us what goes into something like this. I'm hoping to join you next year

Thanks GB. Glad some folks enjoy following along. It's a very unique/interesting event for sure. I sadly don't think I ever saw @cosjobs :(

Yes the scaffold is built to support several times the weight we place on it. Keep in mind the bar area (probably 20' x 12' section) probably holds 5-6000lbs between 12 kegs, 15 cases of booze, 50 gallons of mixers, Bags of ice, cases of red bull, kegerator, bar, two refrigeration units, etc. 

Our biggest restricting factor is Fire-Marshall imposed capacity based on the staircase size, and square footage. 
Why not leave the kegs at ground level and run your beer lines up?  That would make reloading a hell of a lot easier, and take a lot of weight off the structure.   Personally, I'm done with carrying kegs up stairs.  

You could also load mixers into Cornelius tanks and run your lines from the ground.

That's a high volume of product per staff member that you're blowing through in a single night; no shame in making it easier.

Why not leave the kegs at ground level and run your beer lines up?  That would make reloading a hell of a lot easier, and take a lot of weight off the structure.   Personally, I'm done with carrying kegs up stairs.  

You could also load mixers into Cornelius tanks and run your lines from the ground.

That's a high volume of product per staff member that you're blowing through in a single night; no shame in making it easier.
I hear ya. The kegs are technically on ground level. Nothing sits on the ground at MIM. Ground is usually mud. Our scaffold is two stories, with the first story being just 1-2' off the ground depending on contour. We definitely do NOT carry kegs upstairs! We have labor that loads the initial kegs into the booth's chillers. 

Any pics of said  lamb dish? Was it chops, steak, pulled? 

ETA : I'm  guessing this is it www.instagram.com/p/BUPz1xHF8Gp

Grats on 5th place, and thank you for your continued efforts to show us what goes into something like this. I'm hoping to join you next year
Thanks! Yes it was chops provided free by New Zealand Lamb company. They are very happy, and will be providing all the product we need again next year.

We are reportedly looking at an arrangement with Smithfield farms to provide all our pork free of charge, as well as Bull Grills to provide our onsite Gas Grills free-of-charge as well. 

If you build it, they will come. 

Thanks! Yes it was chops provided free by New Zealand Lamb company. They are very happy, and will be providing all the product we need again next year.

We are reportedly looking at an arrangement with Smithfield farms to provide all our pork free of charge, as well as Bull Grills to provide our onsite Gas Grills free-of-charge as well. 

If you build it, they will come. 
It's amazing what brands are willing to give you if you build something up like this. You and I should probably sit down and pick each others brains on that front. 

It's amazing what brands are willing to give you if you build something up like this. You and I should probably sit down and pick each others brains on that front. 
Certainly! I know you've had tremendous success on that front as well. We cater to a more in-person audience, while you have tremendous social reach. In the end, I think a lot of the tactics translate well, however. :thumbup:

Certainly! I know you've had tremendous success on that front as well. We cater to a more in-person audience, while you have tremendous social reach. In the end, I think a lot of the tactics translate well, however. :thumbup:
That's an excellent point. We can look at it like we help each other grow on the side we aren't as proficient in. 

That's an excellent point. We can look at it like we help each other grow on the side we aren't as proficient in. 
Truth. I've already learned a lot on the IG front thanks to a few basic tips from you. Appreciate that.  :thumbup:

Our current sponsors appear to all be champing at the bit to return.

When talking to the lead CDW guy who is over our two huge dinner sponsorships ($23k), I playfully mentioned their competitor (SHI) was trying to outbid them for the slots. He yelled NOOOO!!! I laughed and told him we've never left a healthy sponsorship, and we're loyal to those who grow with us. He mentioned they would love to expand on what we're doing and contribute more going forward. We're slated to discuss what that means this week, and how we can improve on this year's misses (there aren't many). We're texting regularly now. 

Southern Pride has pledged ongoing support
RedBull thanked us profusely for letting them support us, despite the lead guy not getting into the booth Thursday due to capacity. 
Eagle Sales guy LOVED it and several of his guests had the time of their lives. 
Beam support is ongoing for sure. 
Lagunitas loves us and is already talking about next year.
The owner of Nolan Audio/Video is on the team now, and loves the event. 
Patrick Dodd (band) had a blast and has said "Consider us booked for next year".
Our large silent sponsor had an amazing time with the private feast we brought to him and his guests. He's back in for sure. 

I think the most important part of any sponsorship isn't the sale, it's the follow up. Showing how you delivered everything you said you would, and discussing how to improve and grow the relationship. 

I'm loving the stability of where we are right now. I don't miss the days of hustling for nickel and dime sponsors down to the wire to try to make ends meet. The goal was always a small stable of large, loyal sponsors who understand what we're doing and believe in it like we do. I think we're just about there, assuming this all holds true. 

Right back to business... 

Today team email went out requesting images of receipts for reimbursement, and completion of an "after-action questionnaire" which breaks out various categories (comp food, public food, lights/sound, Load in/out, etc) and members write what we did right and how we should improve while it's all fresh in our heads.

They send to me, I compile. and then present the findings to the team at our meeting next month. 

Get better every year.  :hifive:

Right back to business... 

Today team email went out requesting images of receipts for reimbursement, and completion of an "after-action questionnaire" which breaks out various categories (comp food, public food, lights/sound, Load in/out, etc) and members write what we did right and how we should improve while it's all fresh in our heads.

They send to me, I compile. and then present the findings to the team at our meeting next month. 

Get better every year.  :hifive:
A SWOT analysis

Users who are viewing this thread