Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
[icon]

MEMPHIS BBQFest > FEST HAS BEGUN - Updates inside

I see the sauce and anything but results up. Anyone know when the results for shoulder and whole hog are posted?J

Don't know when they'll post full results, but Cool Smoke won shoulder, Yazoo's Delta Q won whole hog, and Natural Born Grillers won ribs. Yazoo's was grand champion.

I see the sauce and anything but results up. Anyone know when the results for shoulder and whole hog are posted?J

Don't know when they'll post full results, but Cool Smoke won shoulder, Yazoo's Delta Q won whole hog, and Natural Born Grillers won ribs. Yazoo's was grand champion.
Thanks Krista. Do you happen to know how Jack's Old South fared?J

Thanks Krista. Do you happen to know how Jack's Old South fared?J
They weren't finalists (top three) in the categories but don't know anything more.

just got home....

Last minute Rib Prep

Turns out we were NOT happy with our ribs. Very little give. Were not up to our standard. Our head cook even apologized to the team collectively before the judges (3) even started showing up.

We were competing in Ribs which is without question the most competitive category. Our best finish has been 22nd out of a hundred plus teams (dunno how many exactly but it's a lot).

Well... we picked our best 4 slabs for 3 judges and they paraded through. With MBN style judging you have 3 come in one at a time and you have 15 mins to pitch them. We line up and introduce all team members. We discuss our smoker... our trailer... the history of the team. Then our lead cook heads off to discuss our process, the meat itself... then they sit down for a taste test.

The first test surprised us. I was sorta a "point man" and was the only man on the team inside the booth other than our cook and the judge. I timed matters and had hand signals to let our cook know how long he had left ebfore the judge had to leave. First judge was actually REALLY complimentary. She ate half a slab which is pretty rare. Even requested the rest be boxed up for her to come get later. She DID warn us that she was judging 2 former world champs after us.

The second judge came in...all went well except... of the 4 slabs he ended up with one that would NOT pull clean. He commented on how much he loved the flavor but couldn't give us straight marks (10s) due to the meat clinging to the bone. (don't blame him)

We were dejected... there went any chance of a good finish.

3rd judge comes through and we loosen up. Funny story (will share later) ensues and we just click with the guy. He loves the ribs... these pull clean.... and he leaves in good spirits. We start pounding beers and fire up the music.

Then we get word.

Judge one... straight 10s.

Judge two docked us a mere 0.1pts on tenderness and gave us straight 10s otherwise.

Judge three....straight 10s.

Then we get word we're not in the finals (top 3) so we figure it's BS and we just start up a game of beer pong. We've got 50-70 people partying in the tent and we have been drinking hard so #### it...we miss judging.

Next thing we know we have other teams guys swarming in our tent.

Where teh #### were you guys... go get your trophy. They called you to the stage. You guys took 10th in ribs.

just got home....

Last minute Rib Prep

Turns out we were NOT happy with our ribs. Very little give. Were not up to our standard. Our head cook even apologized to the team collectively before the judges (3) even started showing up.

We were competing in Ribs which is without question the most competitive category. Our best finish has been 22nd out of a hundred plus teams (dunno how many exactly but it's a lot).

Well... we picked our best 4 slabs for 3 judges and they paraded through. With MBN style judging you have 3 come in one at a time and you have 15 mins to pitch them. We line up and introduce all team members. We discuss our smoker... our trailer... the history of the team. Then our lead cook heads off to discuss our process, the meat itself... then they sit down for a taste test.

The first test surprised us. I was sorta a "point man" and was the only man on the team inside the booth other than our cook and the judge. I timed matters and had hand signals to let our cook know how long he had left ebfore the judge had to leave. First judge was actually REALLY complimentary. She ate half a slab which is pretty rare. Even requested the rest be boxed up for her to come get later. She DID warn us that she was judging 2 former world champs after us.

The second judge came in...all went well except... of the 4 slabs he ended up with one that would NOT pull clean. He commented on how much he loved the flavor but couldn't give us straight marks (10s) due to the meat clinging to the bone. (don't blame him)

3rd judge comes through and we loosen up. Funny story (will share later) ensues and we just click with the guy. He loves the ribs... these pull clean.... and he leaves in good spirits. We start pounding beers and fire up the music.

Then we get word.

Judge two docked us a mere 0.1pts on tenderness and gave us straight 10s otherwise.

Then we get word we're not in the finals (top 3) so we figure it's BS and we just start up a game of beer pong. We've got 50-70 people partying in the tent and we have been drinking hard so #### it...we miss judging.

Where teh #### were you guys... go get your trophy. They called you to the stage. You guys took 10th in ribs.

That's an awewsome finish, icon. 10th out of 113 is a great finish. But what you're saying is the biggest reason I'm hesitant to get into these contests. If your guys were apologizing for the ribs and then the judges give them great scores, that just seems crazy.

Congrats though.

Also - is there a better results sheet than the crappy pdf stuff they have on their site? http://www.memphisinmay.sitewrench.com/###...27/2010_rib.pdf I can't believe an event as big as that doesn't have something better for results.

On those page, it's listed as "preliminary" results. Cool Smoke is listed 3rd on shoulders and a finalist. Is that list where they take the top 3 and then let them start over for the overall winner?

J

Edited by Joe Bryant

just got home....

Last minute Rib Prep

Then we get word.

That's an awewsome finish, icon. 10th out of 51 is a great finish. But what you're saying is the biggest reason I'm hesitant to get into these contests. If your guys were apologizing for the ribs and then the judges give them great scores, that just seems crazy.

Congrats though.

Also - is there a better results sheet than the crappy pdf stuff they have on their site? http://www.memphisinmay.sitewrench.com/###...27/2010_rib.pdf I can't believe an event as big as that doesn't have something better for results.

On those page, it's listed as "preliminary" results. Cool Smoke is listed 3rd on shoulders and a finalist. Is that list where they take the top 3 and then let them start over for the overall winner?

J

I don't know of anywhere with a better results page. And a correction: [icon]'s team came in 10th out of 113, not 51. Huge congrats--that is incredible!!!

Yes, these are the results that determine the three finalists, and then those three go through another judging to determine the order of just those three and then to determine a grand champion.

Mr. krista4, in addition to being on our BBQ team, also volunteered this year as an "ambassador", which basically means you get assigned some teams and take care of whatever they need throughout the days. One of his teams came in third in Ribs, which was particularly exciting as they were just a tiny team from MO and were his favorite people that he had dealt with. They were in the finals with two teams that win zillions of contests all over the country, but this was the first time they'd made finals. :kicksrock: They insisted he come up on stage with them, and the Food Network interviewed him for about 10 minutes. I hope when they do the show they give this team some airtime--it was a great story. :)

ETA: This team went into a panic when they found out they were a finalist. Not expecting it at all, a bunch of people had sat down to finish off the ribs they'd prepared, and when they heard, the team leader screamed, "Everybody stop eating!" They almost didn't have enough to go through finals judging. :shock:

Edited by krista4

This thread has motivated me to attend next year's BBQfest. Sounds awesome.

:pickle: You know you have a place to stay, GBM(J)F.

Will post more but our final placings were

Ribs : 10th out of 118 or so

Mustard Sauce: 9th out of 60

Our Anything But : Seafood finish of 33 was surprising. The Crawfish Cheese grits we did were fantastic but perhaps they were a bit too hot for the judges. :popcorn:

We had middling finishes in tomato though I'll blame that on a drunken ####### in our tent spilling our competition Tomato sauce Wednesday night (out of the fridge while getting a beer). ######. Had to mix up a fresh batch and couldn't get it just right. Oh well.

Wings surprised me... figured we were looking at a top 10 again (we've taken 2nd in the past) after tasting them but we rang in at 53rd of 98. Very dissapointing.

overall a HUGE success. Amazing week. So glad to be home on my couch finally...

Will post more but our final placings were Ribs : 10th out of 118 or soMustard Sauce: 9th out of 60Our Anything But : Seafood finish of 33 was surprising. The Crawfish Cheese grits we did were fantastic but perhaps they were a bit too hot for the judges. :thanks:We had middling finishes in tomato though I'll blame that on a drunken ####### in our tent spilling our competition Tomato sauce Wednesday night (out of the fridge while getting a beer). ######. Had to mix up a fresh batch and couldn't get it just right. Oh well. Wings surprised me... figured we were looking at a top 10 again (we've taken 2nd in the past) after tasting them but we rang in at 53rd of 98. Very dissapointing. overall a HUGE success. Amazing week. So glad to be home on my couch finally...

I couldn't find our Ribs score earlier but just did--33rd. Not too bad out of 113, though no Slab Yo Mama!Tomato sauce was our best: 15th out of 126 :popcorn:Exotic was also good: 10th out of 65 for our lamb sliders :goodposting:If y'all need anyone to appreciate your crawfish cheese grits, send some over my way. Nom.

Damn Krista... those are some strong finishes! Ready for next year yet? :thanks:

Damn Krista... those are some strong finishes! Ready for next year yet? :goodposting:

Well, unlike you, I really didn't have anything to do with it. :goodposting: My responsibilities seemed to consist only of being a kick-### bartender. I have to say, people had been telling me ever since we moved here, "Just wait 'til Memphis in May", and I thought they were making too big a deal of it, but it was MUCH more fun than I ever imagined. :thanks:I still haven't had the courage to look at my pics from Thursday or Friday. :popcorn: Sorry we never came by your spot, but I was a little intimidated at the prospect of showing up and trying to explain who I was and who I was looking for, since I don't really know what you look like.

I still haven't had the courage to look at my pics from Thursday or Friday. :lmao: Sorry we never came by your spot, but I was a little intimidated at the prospect of showing up and trying to explain who I was and who I was looking for, since I don't really know what you look like.

What? Would have expected you to march up and say "I'm krista4, where is icon from FBGs?" Drag us along next year. I'm willing to talk with complete strangers and look like a complete fool. ;)

Convinced the wife that we will be attending this at some point before we die

Come on up next year GB. Worth the trip I assure ya.

I'll just post a couple more random shots here:

The guys gettin jamming. Crowd filled in behind them till there was nowhere else to stand in the tent.

Kirk Smithhart gettin on it a bit. Had the place whipped into a lather

One more of Kirk soloing

Our cook dropped trou and was walking around in shirt/improved thong and an apron so it looked normal from the front (WARNING)

My good freind Kerryn, myself, and my better half

My buddy threw on a pink bunny onesie while bartending at some point. :thumbup:

and a cool quote I liked:

It was the first competition in Memphis for Tuffy Stone of Cool Smoke; he typically competes on the Kansas City Barbecue Society circuit instead of contests sanctioned by the Memphis Barbecue Network.

He's a changed man.

"I'm completely convinced that Memphis barbecue is the way to go," he said.

Edited by [icon]

Come on up next year GB. Worth the trip I assure ya.

I'll just post a couple more random shots here:

The guys gettin jamming. Crowd filled in behind them till there was nowhere else to stand in the tent.

Kirk Smithhart gettin on it a bit. Had the place whipped into a lather

One more of Kirk soloing

Our cook dropped trou and was walking around in shirt/improved thong and an apron so it looked normal from the front (WARNING)

My good freind Kerryn, myself, and my better half

My buddy threw on a pink bunny onesie while bartending at some point. :blackdot:

and a cool quote I liked:

It was the first competition in Memphis for Tuffy Stone of Cool Smoke; he typically competes on the Kansas City Barbecue Society circuit instead of contests sanctioned by the Memphis Barbecue Network.

He's a changed man.

"I'm completely convinced that Memphis barbecue is the way to go," he said.

Nice work! Looks like a blast!

just got home....

Last minute Rib Prep

Then we get word.

That's an awewsome finish, icon. 10th out of 51 is a great finish. But what you're saying is the biggest reason I'm hesitant to get into these contests. If your guys were apologizing for the ribs and then the judges give them great scores, that just seems crazy.

Congrats though.

J

I don't know of anywhere with a better results page. And a correction: [icon]'s team came in 10th out of 113, not 51. Huge congrats--that is incredible!!!

Yes, these are the results that determine the three finalists, and then those three go through another judging to determine the order of just those three and then to determine a grand champion.

Mr. krista4, in addition to being on our BBQ team, also volunteered this year as an "ambassador", which basically means you get assigned some teams and take care of whatever they need throughout the days. One of his teams came in third in Ribs, which was particularly exciting as they were just a tiny team from MO and were his favorite people that he had dealt with. They were in the finals with two teams that win zillions of contests all over the country, but this was the first time they'd made finals. :pickle: They insisted he come up on stage with them, and the Food Network interviewed him for about 10 minutes. I hope when they do the show they give this team some airtime--it was a great story. :)

ETA: This team went into a panic when they found out they were a finalist. Not expecting it at all, a bunch of people had sat down to finish off the ribs they'd prepared, and when they heard, the team leader screamed, "Everybody stop eating!" They almost didn't have enough to go through finals judging. :lol:

Apologies - edited my post.

J

That's an awewsome finish, icon. 10th out of 113 is a great finish. But what you're saying is the biggest reason I'm hesitant to get into these contests. If your guys were apologizing for the ribs and then the judges give them great scores, that just seems crazy.Congrats though.

thanks Joe, I think part of it is because both Courtney and Myself are serious perfectionists when it comes to stuff like this. I know once I had smoked up 23 slabs in my backyard (on our team's Tucker) for a Memorial Day Cookout and folks were gushing over the ribs, while I was cursing as I tried a few bones off each set of slabs I'd pull off (as they were done). Out of 23 slabs I had about 5-6 that I was really happy with. I think Courtney is the same way. We were able to pull a good 5-6 slabs out of the batch that were acceptable for judging...we picked the best 4 and unfortunately one of them had a few bones that didn't pull right and unfortunately the judge got those. I think when Courtney was apologizing, he had just checked a couple slabs and maybe ended up that those were some of the worst in the batch. The judging can certainly be erratic at anything subjective like this though . Some years we'll submit a mustard sauce and take 3rd... then submit the exact same sauce and finish 20th. It's tough to gauge. I think you just have to go out there and put your best product forward and hope for the best. One thing for sure... with the Big E, you'll gain some great "bonus points" thanks to the MBN style of judging where you talk about your rig, your process, get to show it all off...etc.

BTW the funny story about the 3rd judge:

He comes through and we mention that we're a local team. Discuss the schools everyone went to and he mentions he had a daughter around our age and her last name was X. One of the bigger man-whores on our team's face lights up and he says "Oh Yeah! Mandy X! I knew her..." in a tone that could be interpreted as none other than "I recognize that name, I bedded her in the past". He quickly realizes his folly and tries to recover with a "Platonically! I mean Platonically of course"

We didn't know if we should :wub: or :yes:... I think there was a mixture of both among our team. Later I was close to the table (was spotting time) and overheard him asking about who the young gentleman was.... our cook laughed and gave him his name and the judge playfully ribbed the guy a bit on the way out.

Was very funny... apparently openly implying that you nailed the judges daughter doesn't hurt your scores. :lmao:

Just posted... the 2011 Dates have been set! They are May 12-14 and the host nation will be Belgium.

Those of you who are wanting to make it down for this event next year, be sure to pencil in those dates.

BE SURE to look into Hotels (I use hotwire) in the downtown memphis area starting in December or January if you want the best deals. I'd stick with stuff in the IMMEDIATE downtown area because if you venture too far outside it you can be in some shady spots. It's nice to be walking distance or a short cab ride from the park.

Just posted... the 2011 Dates have been set! They are May 12-14 and the host nation will be Belgium.

Those of you who are wanting to make it down for this event next year, be sure to pencil in those dates.

BE SURE to look into Hotels (I use hotwire) in the downtown memphis area starting in December or January if you want the best deals. I'd stick with stuff in the IMMEDIATE downtown area because if you venture too far outside it you can be in some shady spots. It's nice to be walking distance or a short cab ride from the park.

What's this all about?

I will say that I've been posting on a Dutch BBQ board for a couple months now. The Dutch and the Belgians are some serious grillers. Hardcore.

Just posted... the 2011 Dates have been set! They are May 12-14 and the host nation will be Belgium. Those of you who are wanting to make it down for this event next year, be sure to pencil in those dates. BE SURE to look into Hotels (I use hotwire) in the downtown memphis area starting in December or January if you want the best deals. I'd stick with stuff in the IMMEDIATE downtown area because if you venture too far outside it you can be in some shady spots. It's nice to be walking distance or a short cab ride from the park.

:lmao:J

Just posted... the 2011 Dates have been set! They are May 12-14 and the host nation will be Belgium. Those of you who are wanting to make it down for this event next year, be sure to pencil in those dates. BE SURE to look into Hotels (I use hotwire) in the downtown memphis area starting in December or January if you want the best deals. I'd stick with stuff in the IMMEDIATE downtown area because if you venture too far outside it you can be in some shady spots. It's nice to be walking distance or a short cab ride from the park.

:thumbup:J
You gonna bring the rig out and compete this year, Joe? :excited:

:shrug:J
You gonna bring the rig out and compete this year, Joe? :excited:
We'll have to see icon. I'm pretty certain you guys are out of my league. Looks like it would be a lot of fun. Tipsy and I could field a team plus any other FBGers that could make it. I might have to get you to help me with pointers if your team didn't mind.J

We'll have to see icon. I'm pretty certain you guys are out of my league. Looks like it would be a lot of fun. Tipsy and I could field a team plus any other FBGers that could make it. I might have to get you to help me with pointers if your team didn't mind.J

Having never had your 'que but having seen your processes/approach I think you'd fare a lot better than you give yourself credit for. Seriously. :lmao:Would you want to compete in ribs or shoulder, most likely? There are a TON of ancillary contests that you two could likely CLEAN HOUSE in as well (tipsy's shrimp grits are much better than the ones that won 9th for us). Regarding pointers... certainly would love to. Pretty sure I could get you in touch with our lead cook and our "logistics guy" who handles the application process. I've been involved in it for several years so might be able to answer most of your questions myself. It's honestly a great time and there will be times where you surprise yourself. WHen our cook was pulling our ribs off the Tucker on Saturday he was apologizing saying he ruined em and we'd have a bad finish. We took 10th. Ya never know :lmao: If you're not looking to throw a big party, it's not THAT expensive. When you're looking at providing food/drink for hundreds is when the tab starts adding digits. :lmao:Obviously if you guys even just wanted to have a basic setup and focus on the meat, then come over to our tent to get the partying out of your system that's certainly not a problem either. I think, given the right planning, you'd have quite a few FBG folks come out to participate. Would probably be good marketing for both SJ's and FBG's as well. :)

Having never had your 'que but having seen your processes/approach I think you'd fare a lot better than you give yourself credit for. Seriously. :lmao:Would you want to compete in ribs or shoulder, most likely? There are a TON of ancillary contests that you two could likely CLEAN HOUSE in as well (tipsy's shrimp grits are much better than the ones that won 9th for us). Regarding pointers... certainly would love to. Pretty sure I could get you in touch with our lead cook and our "logistics guy" who handles the application process. I've been involved in it for several years so might be able to answer most of your questions myself. It's honestly a great time and there will be times where you surprise yourself. WHen our cook was pulling our ribs off the Tucker on Saturday he was apologizing saying he ruined em and we'd have a bad finish. We took 10th. Ya never know :goodposting: If you're not looking to throw a big party, it's not THAT expensive. When you're looking at providing food/drink for hundreds is when the tab starts adding digits. :moneybag:Obviously if you guys even just wanted to have a basic setup and focus on the meat, then come over to our tent to get the partying out of your system that's certainly not a problem either. I think, given the right planning, you'd have quite a few FBG folks come out to participate. Would probably be good marketing for both SJ's and FBG's as well. :)
Thanks GB. That's good to hear. (Because my shrimp and grits are better than Tipsey's... :eek: ) But seriously, that could be a lot of fun. Let me talk with him and if we do it, I really would ask for your help there on some pointers on logistics and such. I'd probably want to do shoulders and ribs. Dying to get the welder out and take out my grill on the Big RC and replace it with a whole hog cooker after going to Jack's Old South School. But I've got tons of catering gigs coming up and I don't see how I'm going to have time until this Winter to convert it over and probably wouldn't be ready for whole hog. Thanks for the offer of help - if we do it, I'll definitely take you up on it. Thanks.J

Forbes Story on Memphis in May World Championship of BBQ

(CLICK THE LINK TO WATCH THE VIDEO - PRETTY GOOD CLIP)

Not Your Backyard BBQ

posted by MORGAN BRENNAN

More than 250 outrageously bedecked tents spouting country rock music and displaying trophies twinkling in the sun. Thousands of people strolling along the Mississippi River licking their sauce-stained fingers and washing it down with cooler-chilled beers.

That’s the scene of the Memphis In May World Championship BBQ Cooking Contest. But don’t let the ambiance fool you. This contest is not some backyard barbecue cook-off that just anybody enters. It is the biggest and baddest annual barbecue championship in a long line of contests that take place each summer.

Each May, hundreds of professional barbecuers (and some novices too) descend upon Tennessee to cook for the ultimate barbecue bragging rights. More than $100,000 is awarded to the contest’s winners in three major areas (as well as smaller categories like sauces and ancillaries): ribs, whole hog and pork shoulder. The biggest prize is upwards of $26,000.

Then there are the sponsorship opportunities for many that win a competition like this. Sauce company Cattlemen’s Master’s Reserve will double a winner’s money if the team thanks them onstage at the award ceremony. Former Grand Champions like Big Bob Gibson’s head chef Chris Lilly even boast sponsorships with companies like Kingsford thanks to their champion status.

Since the payback can be high both in terms of prizes and in terms of increased visibility, contestants invest a lot of money to compete. Between contest entry fees, travel costs, food and beverage expenses, meat cookers, tent rentals and decorations, teams spend anywhere from $5,000 to as much as $90,000 on this grand three day event.

That kind of money means competitors with clout. At Memphis, there are professional barbecue pit masters with restaurants around the country and lines of sauce products like Yazoo, Mississippi’s two award-winning teams, Ubon’s and Yazoo Delta Q (who was this year’s Grand Champion).

Even celebrity chefs like Danny Meyer and Tom Colicchio have organized their own gourmet teams. Ribdiculous, a team of three star-rated chefs, came to compete for their second year.

“Tom Colicchio, our boss, he’s the one that suggested we do it. And we looked into it and here we are… I mean this is one of the biggest and baddest for sure. And I think that’s why he was pretty confident we would do a good job,” explains Ribdiculous head chef, Shane McBride, who also happens to be executive chef at New York’s upscale Colicchio & Sons restaurant.

There’s even a team comprised of Jewish New York oil trader brothers called Jubon’s. The newcomers began barbecuing last year after the folks at Ubon’s instructed Jubon’s head chef, David Rosen, on the proper way to eat a pulled pork sandwich. As their sign explains, “at least the salt is kosher.”

So why do celebrity chefs, dentists, and traders from Wall Street cough up the cash and expend the energy to come compete in a barbecue contest?

“To be with friends and to have a good time, ” says Rosen. “But it’s also the world championship of barbecue — everyone in barbecue is there and you’re getting the chance to compete against the best of the best.”

:thumbup: Gotta claim my vacation days now though--missed out the past two years.

:goodposting: Gotta claim my vacation days now though--missed out the past two years.
:towelwave: Anyone is welcome. :towelwave:You guys will be double set-up if Joe comes out and competes too. One tent to party at is nice. Two is awesome. Plus, walking around and mixing/mingling with the tens of thousands of people rambling around drinking is always a good time. Remember though... WED NIGHT: Team members only (strictly enforced. I get ONE guest.)THUR DAY / NIGHT : PrimetimeFRI DAY / NIGHT : Primetime SAT DAY : Judging with mild partying into dinnertime (may have to leave tent on occasion as judges come through) SAT NIGHT: Some light partying till dinner or a bit after but by then everyone's worn out.Sunday : BreakdownIf you wanna do it RIGHT, fly/drive in Wed evening and hit beale street... then party on the bluff thursday afternoon through Saturday afternoon (Awards ceremony is around 5 IIRC). Each night the park closes at midnight and non teammembers must leave the park. Upside is you're about a 5 minute walk to Beale Street which is a HUGE party till 6am. Open containers are cool in the street just like Bourbon. You could literally party for 72 straight hours if you were so inclined. :hifive:

BUMP

The window to book rooms is approaching. Typically you want to lock up your rooms in January for the best "value".

Currently prices on our usual hotel (Crowne Plaza downtown) are 105/night on Hotwire. We are hoping for the price to dip a bit more in early january (we paid about 80/night last year) and we'll lock in at that point.

It's looking like Chris Cooley Fan might be coming up with the infamous Mrs. CCF. I highly suggest anyone else wanting to come to start getting ready to lock in your hotel rooms in the next few weeks. We're just starting to get sponsorships lined up and get organized for this year, but we're hoping for this to be the best year for Slab Yo Mama BBQ yet.

Again.. the top party days/nights are thursday afternoon / thursday night / friday afternoon / friday night. Saturday afternoon is judging but access to our tent will be limited for judging (hour or two window). Not that it's a big deal but something to consider. Saturday night is pretty tame and the park is closed for breakdown on Sunday.

Best Bet is to arrive Wed night (hit beale street) or Thursday morning.... and leave Saturday (evening if you're wanting to see judging).

BUMPThe window to book rooms is approaching. Typically you want to lock up your rooms in January for the best "value". Currently prices on our usual hotel (Crowne Plaza downtown) are 105/night on Hotwire. We are hoping for the price to dip a bit more in early january (we paid about 80/night last year) and we'll lock in at that point. It's looking like Chris Cooley Fan might be coming up with the infamous Mrs. CCF. I highly suggest anyone else wanting to come to start getting ready to lock in your hotel rooms in the next few weeks. We're just starting to get sponsorships lined up and get organized for this year, but we're hoping for this to be the best year for Slab Yo Mama BBQ yet. Again.. the top party days/nights are thursday afternoon / thursday night / friday afternoon / friday night. Saturday afternoon is judging but access to our tent will be limited for judging (hour or two window). Not that it's a big deal but something to consider. Saturday night is pretty tame and the park is closed for breakdown on Sunday. Best Bet is to arrive Wed night (hit beale street) or Thursday morning.... and leave Saturday (evening if you're wanting to see judging).

Awesome bump [icon]. Will be running this idea past Mrs. Keaton tomorrow to see if she's on board. Have always wanted to visit Memphis.

Glad to oblige. If anyone has always wanted to visit Memphis THIS is a fantastic time to do it. The hotel we'll be suggesting for everyone is a bit on the fringe of downtown (maybe 10min walk / 4 dollar cab to heart of downtown). You'll have beale street right there, tons of amazing restaurants to fit any budget (ill post detailed breakdowns), you'll be a 10 min drive to graceland if that's your thing, riverboat

Cruises, the redbirds (cardinals AAA baseball club) will be in town that week and there is a gorgeous stadium in the heart of downtown.... You're 30 minutes to the casinos in tunica, and of course there's that world championship of bbq goin on down on the banks of the mississippi.

Basically it will be a week/weekend where you'll really get a great taste of what memphis is really about. I recommend it highly.

BUMPThe window to book rooms is approaching. Typically you want to lock up your rooms in January for the best "value". Currently prices on our usual hotel (Crowne Plaza downtown) are 105/night on Hotwire. We are hoping for the price to dip a bit more in early january (we paid about 80/night last year) and we'll lock in at that point. It's looking like Chris Cooley Fan might be coming up with the infamous Mrs. CCF. I highly suggest anyone else wanting to come to start getting ready to lock in your hotel rooms in the next few weeks. We're just starting to get sponsorships lined up and get organized for this year, but we're hoping for this to be the best year for Slab Yo Mama BBQ yet. Again.. the top party days/nights are thursday afternoon / thursday night / friday afternoon / friday night. Saturday afternoon is judging but access to our tent will be limited for judging (hour or two window). Not that it's a big deal but something to consider. Saturday night is pretty tame and the park is closed for breakdown on Sunday. Best Bet is to arrive Wed night (hit beale street) or Thursday morning.... and leave Saturday (evening if you're wanting to see judging).

Awesome bump [icon]. Will be running this idea past Mrs. Keaton tomorrow to see if she's on board. Have always wanted to visit Memphis.
GB, you know you're invited to stay with us if you'd like. We are on the bluff overlooking the festivities, literally a 90-second walk to the entrance. A friend and I are going to try to pull off a coup to take over our team's management. The guy who has done it in the past is a great guy but getting married this June, so I'm not sure he'll be able to devote the time. In any case, all FBGs will be welcome at our team's tent, too. It has not been as elaborate as [icon]'s teams in the past, but is known as a party tent and perhaps we could make it bigger this year.In addition, Mr. krista4 is participating on two (2!) teams as he has been asked to be on the team for his culinary school as well. They're fielding a team for the first time. So if y'all are here you'll know (well, sorta) people on at least three teams the moment you arrive, which is key if you want to eat and drink!If we have some FBGs at this, we could also open up our home to a little cocktail fun in between some of the festivities, if we could find a time that works for y'all. Would be happy to host one and all.I can't tell you how much more fun this was last year than I expected it to be. Probably the most fun party I've ever attended (and that includes stuff like Bonnaroo and Lollapalooza). :popcorn:

Sounds fantastic Krista! Glad you guys enjoyed it so much in your first year. Let us know if we can help with anything.

She makes very valid points that this is an event you'll want to know people with tents for. Now its looking like any fbg can walk in and have access to 3 great tents. That's absolutely KEY to enjoying this festival! :nerd:

Sounds fantastic Krista! Glad you guys enjoyed it so much in your first year. Let us know if we can help with anything. She makes very valid points that this is an event you'll want to know people with tents for. Now its looking like any fbg can walk in and have access to 3 great tents. That's absolutely KEY to enjoying this festival! :headbang:

My goal is to make it to your tent this year. I walked by a couple of times last year (awesome tent) but found it intimidating. :nerd:I will no doubt be bartending a lot at our tent. I found out last year that that was my calling. :excited:

Bartending is a LOT of fun. One of the guys on our team has a wife who used to do it made a lot of cash off it. Last year we were on a shoestring budget so myself and a couple buddies backed the bar personally and used tips to not only pay for the booze but turne a profit back to the team. The cat is now out of the bag on how much she was raking and she's not pleased. Oh well :D

What was intimidating? We hire security for the door because wed be overrun if we didn't... But you and mr kristas names will be on "the list" and once your get one of our wristbands you'll be free to come and go. :whistle:

Definitely eager to check out both of you guys setups this year as well. Can't wait.... Tis my favorite week of the year.

Bartending is a LOT of fun. One of the guys on our team has a wife who used to do it made a lot of cash off it. Last year we were on a shoestring budget so myself and a couple buddies backed the bar personally and used tips to not only pay for the booze but turne a profit back to the team. The cat is now out of the bag on how much she was raking and she's not pleased. Oh well :)What was intimidating? We hire security for the door because wed be overrun if we didn't... But you and mr kristas names will be on "the list" and once your get one of our wristbands you'll be free to come and go. :)Definitely eager to check out both of you guys setups this year as well. Can't wait.... Tis my favorite week of the year.

My friend Angela and I made a LOT in tips, too. I just turned it over to the guy running the team, though--didn't occur to me to keep it! :lol: It was a particularly good way for me to get to know people since we were new to the team and to Memphis.Yeah, I had an armful of wristbands last year, which were like badges of honor. :lmao: I didn't realize that you had a "list" that we could be on--thought I'd have to show up and somehow say "I'm Krista, from the internet, looking for [icon], from the internet" in front of a bunch of people.

Lmao! Naw ill have you guys on the list. Ill pass along my cell number before the festival so you can shoot me a text/call when you're headed over and ill meet ya at the gate and introduce you guys to everyone.

That goes for any other fbgs who end up coming as well.

She makes very valid points that this is an event you'll want to know people with tents for. Now its looking like any fbg can walk in and have access to 3 great tents. That's absolutely KEY to enjoying this festival! :excited:

:lmao: This. Absolutely true here. As a semi-lifelong Memphian, it's essential to have a place to hang/socialize/refill. I missed both of you guys this year b/c I was splitting Thursday night between three tents with a buddy from out of town. I'll definitely have to check you guys out in May (if I can squeeze down there between bottle feedings - wife & I are expecting in early April!)

She makes very valid points that this is an event you'll want to know people with tents for. Now its looking like any fbg can walk in and have access to 3 great tents. That's absolutely KEY to enjoying this festival! :mellow:

:lmao: This. Absolutely true here. As a semi-lifelong Memphian, it's essential to have a place to hang/socialize/refill. I missed both of you guys this year b/c I was splitting Thursday night between three tents with a buddy from out of town. I'll definitely have to check you guys out in May (if I can squeeze down there between bottle feedings - wife & I are expecting in early April!)
Congrats! :excited: Good way to introduce the little one to her/his heritage early. :bs:

Hey BB2K! Owe ya a lunch or dinner outside bbqfest if ya make it down since my memphis bbq care package got lost in transit 2 years ago :(.

From a purely "closest to the festival/beale" angle you're looking at:

Westin - never stayed but best location - no idea on price

Peabody - gorgeous lobby, average old rooms, est 250-400nt

Madison - very nice, est 300-400/nt

When searching for hotels proximity, enter the address 1 Beale st as the search point. The main entrance to the festival is there, plus that's the head of beale (party street)

You WILL be doing some walking during this festival. The closest hotels are at least 1/4mi from the park entrance and the park itself will take a very fast walker at least 25-30min to traverse. Some tents could be on opposite sides of the park, we never know until april.

I WILL say that while this is one of the safest times to visit memphis (due to sheer volume of people), its still memphis. Great care should be taken in choosing your hotel if its outside of one of those suggested here. Run it by us before buying. There are several that seem close but would be a walk I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

I WILL say that while this is one of the safest times to visit memphis (due to sheer volume of people), its still memphis. Great care should be taken in choosing your hotel if its outside of one of those suggested here. Run it by us before buying. There are several that seem close but would be a walk I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

:thumbup: I just checked the Peabody's rates out of curiosity (it's my favorite), and they're showing $329 as the lowest rate.Also checked the Doubletree, which is just across the street from the Peabody and is where I always stayed when interviewing down here, and it shows $174/night. It's certainly nothing fancy, but it was a perfectly fine hotel and during MiM $174 sounds like a steal to me.

You can get rooms at Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza for around $100 off of Priceline. I stayed there when Eddie Vedder came to Memphis. It's a little walk but not bad if you're looking to stay cheap.

You can get rooms at Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza for around $100 off of Priceline. I stayed there when Eddie Vedder came to Memphis. It's a little walk but not bad if you're looking to stay cheap.

:goodposting: I use hotwire because I know for a fact that their only 3.5 star downtown hotel is the Crowne Plaza.. I'm just afraid of getting something that's "Downtown" but not really. It's a great hotel tht I'll be staying at yet again this year. LOVE The new username :lmao:

Hey BB2K! Owe ya a lunch or dinner outside bbqfest if ya make it down since my memphis bbq care package got lost in transit 2 years ago :goodposting:.

From a purely "closest to the festival/beale" angle you're looking at:

Westin - never stayed but best location - no idea on price

Peabody - gorgeous lobby, average old rooms, est 250-400nt

Madison - very nice, est 300-400/nt

When searching for hotels proximity, enter the address 1 Beale st as the search point. The main entrance to the festival is there, plus that's the head of beale (party street)

You WILL be doing some walking during this festival. The closest hotels are at least 1/4mi from the park entrance and the park itself will take a very fast walker at least 25-30min to traverse. Some tents could be on opposite sides of the park, we never know until april.

Nice!

I am thinking of bringing my old man down because we have talked about going for years. My worry is that his knee wont hold up if we have to walk too far to get there and then walk all day. Would it be wiser to stay further away and drive into the park? If so, how is parking??