What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MEMPHIS BBQFest > 2023 > 1 Month Away - $100,000 budget due to inflation! (2 Viewers)

This is going to be sooooooo Epic. I know you got this, Icon.

Wanna go to the Smithfield party Thursday night? Melissa Cookston is hosting. She's a friend and also a client. I trained her on how to crush Instagram. Smithfield reached out to me today to ask if we could do something similar to the Royal (they paid me to attend and picked up my hotel and took care of my media credentials which got me into every party!). Melissa is a spitfire but if she likes you, she's phenomenal. 
I’d love to but I’m bartending 5-7:30 on Thursday, and it’ll be tough for me to get away from the tent after that.

Melissa actually lives a few doors down from my buddy down in Hernando. I’ve never met her but he said she’s really cool and told them to drop by to eat anytime they see smoke coming from behind the house. ?

CONGRATS on Smithfield’s deal! Glad you got some help on that end. Hopefully it doesn’t keep you away from our booth TOO much. I’ll get you a master schedule so you’ll have an idea of stuff you may want to be around for (either to just hang out/see , or for posting/content). ??

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d love to but I’m bartending 5-7:30 on Thursday, and it’ll be tough for me to get away from the tent after that.

Melissa actually lives a few doors down from my buddy down in Hernando. I’ve never met her but he said she’s really cool and told them to drop by to eat anytime they see smoke coming from behind the house. ?

CONGRATS on Smithfield’s deal! Glad you got some help on that end. Hopefully it doesn’t keep you away from our booth TOO much. I’ll get you a master schedule so you’ll have an idea of stuff you may want to be around for (either to just hang out/see , or for posting/content). ??
Melissa is a trip. Tough as nails, but if she likes you, she would do anything for you. 

A master sched would be cool because this is getting busy. I've still got irons in the fire with Gnarly Head wine, Reynold's Wrap, Meater, OttoWilde and Head Country. 

Oh, and I might need an extra wrist band if you don't mind. I'll be bringing one of the marketing people from Head Country with me. You definitely want to meet her unless you have some sort of exclusivity deal with a rub/BBQ sauce company. 

TheFanatic said:
Melissa is a trip. Tough as nails, but if she likes you, she would do anything for you. 

A master sched would be cool because this is getting busy. I've still got irons in the fire with Gnarly Head wine, Reynold's Wrap, Meater, OttoWilde and Head Country. 

Oh, and I might need an extra wrist band if you don't mind. I'll be bringing one of the marketing people from Head Country with me. You definitely want to meet her unless you have some sort of exclusivity deal with a rub/BBQ sauce company. 
Not a problem. I’ll throw another guest band In with your band pack (should go out tomorrow). We don’t currently have any arrangements with Rub/sauce company. ??

Not a problem. I’ll throw another guest band In with your band pack (should go out tomorrow). We don’t currently have any arrangements with Rub/sauce company. ??
Then you HAVE to meet these folks. First, they have a budget. Second, the name is "Head Country." Third, they're just plain good people. I'm not technically working with them for MiM, but I'll be hanging with her a big chunk of the weekend. 

Then you HAVE to meet these folks. First, they have a budget. Second, the name is "Head Country." Third, they're just plain good people. I'm not technically working with them for MiM, but I'll be hanging with her a big chunk of the weekend. 
Sounds good! we’ve used their Rub on butts in the past. Nice herbal component 

If you need extras my bro and I never use all of ours.  

Sorry I suck at updating this year. My new job has office network on lockdown and is a Verizon Wireless black hole. It’s been a very busy last week. 

1) We ordered a 12lb Authentic Japanese A5 Waygu ribeye. The guy on the team who handled it was super secretive about the deal and insisted on working with his source. Well, these two rocket surgeons decided, when shipping it on Wed afternoon, to save $12 by using FedEx 2 Day on a $1400 perishable piece of meat. 

Well... FedEx lost it in the hub over the hottest weekend of the year. It was delivered at 1:30 yesterday. I went and got it from his doorstep (he’s out of town) and videotaped the entire opening process.... including taking a reading of the surface temp of the beef with an IR laser therm before even touching it. Predictably the meat read 70 degrees. Unwrapping it and inserting a probe therm yielded a similar reading. Sent this video to the shipper to use as ammo with FedEx to get a prompt refund (I’m told it was insured... but I am skeptical as people who ship $1400 in meat via 2day (to save a few bucks) on a Wednesday (risking an overnight stay in the hub) seem like the type to “chance it” by skipping insurance to save a couple more bucks. 

We shall see.

2) The Memphis athletics thing turned out to be them not wanting to commit to any one big hoopla event, but they Will all be coming by to hang out. It was a shot, it felt like it might have happened but just didn’t work out. A visit will still be great social buzz however. We WILL have Sports 56 broadcasting live from the booth, though. 

3) PODS unit is loaded as of Saturday. 16ft unit, packed to the gills. It and the smoker are dropped onsite tomorrow (Wed). The scaffold goes up Thur/Fri. Load in and initial setup is Saturday. 

4) MIM has reached out and the crew from the Show Carnivorous wants to film during comp cooking on fri and/or Saturday. Waiting on details on that. 

Slowly coming together. Weather looking fairly promising. Some scattered stuff but nothing too significant. Fingers crossed. 

FedEx will laugh at you. 
Why do you say that? 

We shipped a perishable item via thier priority service. When the package wasn’t delivered Friday calls were initiated and they admitted in their system the package location was unknown and delayed. It finally showed up 3 days late and was spoiled. 

Why do you say that? 

We shipped a perishable item via thier priority service. When the package wasn’t delivered Friday calls were initiated and they admitted in their system the package location was unknown and delayed. It finally showed up 3 days late and was spoiled. 
Oh. I skimmed, I thought you said you cheaped out on delivery method.  

Rip that roast btw. Ill pour one out in its honor

[icon] said:
Her name was Harue Hanakuni... the certificate included a snout-print.

RIP Harue... you will be remembered :poursout40oz:
Staving children in Asia would have been lunch for that meat!

Yeah, what's the backup plan? Because I want to try me some grade 5 kobe when I'm down there. 

Pending Seller’s report from FedEx Complaint. IMO seller should stand behind product, ship replacement, and deal with FedEx. Unfortunately this is just a dude who’s a chef who apparently sold to our guy as a favor.

I’m hoping FedEx stands by their #### and refunds ASAP or we may take to social media, making it personal that they’re ####### a team in the biggest public event in their hometown. 

If FedEx doesn’t respond in time, it’s hard to justify dumping ANOTHER $1400 into the beef without some assurance the first $1400 is coming back. We are very well funded as a team but that would be kinda tough even for us :(  

My mental image of @icon when he opened the package from FedEx.

Sorry, GB. I can't imagine a scenario where FedEx doesn't make this right.

Hell, Fred himself may just ride up to y'alls booth on a Kobe heifer. "Sorry boys... this one's on me. Now how about an old-fashioned?"
That’s actually @shuke‘s remarkable re-enactment of my precise reaction, dubbed over AH footage.

I think I actually called them “mother####ers” on the video when I got the temp reading..... and no, that wasn’t edited out when we sent the video to their claims team for evidence. 

If they dont give us confidence they will make it right in the next day or so, we are considering launching a few hit-piece tweets at them. 

That’s actually @shuke‘s remarkable re-enactment of my precise reaction, dubbed over AH footage.

I think I actually called them “mother####ers” on the video when I got the temp reading..... and no, that wasn’t edited out when we sent the video to their claims team for evidence. 

If they dont give us confidence they will make it right in the next day or so, we are considering launching a few hit-piece tweets at them. 
I can't really help with IG, but I could help spread the word on this hit pieces on the tweeter and the facepage

#### happens with shipping.  Sometimes packages get lost.  I imagine it's pretty rare that the lost package happens to contain $1400 of highly perishable waygu beef.  Sounds like your hit piece should be on your dip #### team member that decided to save a few bucks on shipping and ####ed this up for everyone.  Not saying that FedEx shouldn't cover the loss though.

#### happens with shipping.  Sometimes packages get lost.  I imagine it's pretty rare that the lost package happens to contain $1400 of highly perishable waygu beef.  Sounds like your hit piece should be on your dip #### team member that decided to save a few bucks on shipping and ####ed this up for everyone.  Not saying that FedEx shouldn't cover the loss though.
It was the vendor apparently who chose 2 day. 

Had FedEx delivered the service we paid for, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Bottom line is a company that was quite literally founded on, and prides itself on the handling of priority/precious cargo failed to do just that.  I know it happens.... but they should feel compelled to make it right in an expedient manner... especially given the conditions. That's all the hit piece would entail. I have no issue with losing it. Agreed. #### happens. But make it right in a timeframe that doesn't negatively impact your customers who trusted their operations to your service.

Hopefully they will. If not, they're going to have some pretty negative press attached to the signature event in their hometown. We have contacts with pretty much every media outlet in town, and a giant video wall facing the most heavily trafficked walkaway in the festival... that happens to be about 100ft down from the both run by the CEO of FedEx Trade Networks (Fred Smith's Son). 

Just hit up a good buddy who's VERY tight with Richard Smith... different group within FedEx but he's big on BBQfest and likely has the juice to either expedite a claim or at least guarantee it so we can go forward. 

:popcorn:  

Just hit up a good buddy who's VERY tight with Richard Smith... different group within FedEx but he's big on BBQfest and likely has the juice to either expedite a claim or at least guarantee it so we can go forward. 

:popcorn:  
Nevermind anything in the politics thread - this is the real crime.  Japanese A5 gone to waste.

Cant even imagine what an A5 brisket would taste like.  Butter....

Sorry I suck at updating this year. My new job has office network on lockdown and is a Verizon Wireless black hole. It’s been a very busy last week. 

1) We ordered a 12lb Authentic Japanese A5 Waygu ribeye. The guy on the team who handled it was super secretive about the deal and insisted on working with his source. Well, these two rocket surgeons decided, when shipping it on Wed afternoon, to save $12 by using FedEx 2 Day on a $1400 perishable piece of meat.  
I legitimately groaned reading this.

From text to team: 

OKAY! MAJOR DEVELOPMENTS ON WAYGU

As you all know the beef was lost by FedEx for a few days and spoiled. We contacted the shipper who was a chef buddy of Matt’s doing him a favor... he forgot/neglected to insure. $100 refund from FedEx. That’s it. 

I know.

Matt is on vacation so I reached out to the Chef who shipped and worked out an arrangement. We are helping with SOME of the cost $250 + FedEx account to ship on. He is absorbing the rest. He’s a buddy of Matt’s so we didn’t want to ruin the guy. 

THEN we found out his “Waygu girl” was out of ribeye (~12lb). We worked out a deal and he is now shipping a 4-5lb Spinalis Dorsis (aka ribeye cap) which is the most tender part of the ribeye.... PLUS an entire 9-10lb Filet tenderloin. 

They will go out Monday overnight... insured.

Crisis averted... and we have more and, Arguably, better Japanese A5 Waygu to show for it. 

If you have had prime Spinalis Dorsis you know how absurdly flavorful and tender it is... I can’t even begin to fathom Japanese A5 version of this. 

Okay... 

This thread is kinda dying aside from a few key folks. 

I know my annual tradition has been to update it daily with pics of combo of meat, bebauchery, and festival stuff... 

that said this thread may have fun it’s course. Kinda dead in here. May just throw some imgur links up later... 

If you have had prime Spinalis Dorsis you know how absurdly flavorful and tender it is... I can’t even begin to fathom Japanese A5 version of this. 
This is one of those things where ignorance is bliss. It may be better if we don't try this stuff. 

Oh, and one week from today, I'll be driving down to pop my MiM cherry!  :excited: :pickle:

icon I personally love all the updates. This whole thing fascinates me and I really enjoy reading all the background planning stuff and the epic debauchery year after year. I really wish to make the trip down there at some point. I know it would be a hell of a great time.

Keep it all coming GB!

icon I personally love all the updates. This whole thing fascinates me and I really enjoy reading all the background planning stuff and the epic debauchery year after year. I really wish to make the trip down there at some point. I know it would be a hell of a great time.

Keep it all coming GB!
Completely agree with Bronco....it is the only way I can experience this event....vicariously through others...maybe we need some of the other FBG attendees to step up and contribute so Icon does not have to do all of it.  He will have quite a few things on his "plate" at this years event.

Okay... 

This thread is kinda dying aside from a few key folks. 

I know my annual tradition has been to update it daily with pics of combo of meat, bebauchery, and festival stuff... 

that said this thread may have fun it’s course. Kinda dead in here. May just throw some imgur links up later... 
A lot of us died a little inside reading the update about the ruined beef. Give us a few days - we are still in mourning. 

Completely agree with Bronco....it is the only way I can experience this event....vicariously through others...maybe we need some of the other FBG attendees to step up and contribute so Icon does not have to do all of it.  He will have quite a few things on his "plate" at this years event.
I'll see if I can post in the morning from the hotel before I uber down to the event. I won't be at the Saucepects space the entire time as I have some commitments while there, but I'll try to report back on the cool stuff. One such commitment is cooking with 2016 MiM Grand Champion and owner of the Shed, Brad Orrison. Brad wants to do an entire tomahawk standing rib roast. Basically a prime rib with the bones completely intact and frenched so the bones are 2 feet long on top of the roast. This would simply be for social media content.

Speaking of social media, I'll be doing a ton of Instagram Live broadcasts from the event. You can watch them on your phone here. Other than the debauchery and food from @[icon]'s joint, I'll be hanging with Brad as I said and Chris Lilly from Big Bob Gibson's and a three time Grand Champion at MiM. 

I'll see if I can post in the morning from the hotel before I uber down to the event. I won't be at the Saucepects space the entire time as I have some commitments while there, but I'll try to report back on the cool stuff. One such commitment is cooking with 2016 MiM Grand Champion and owner of the Shed, Brad Orrison. Brad wants to do an entire tomahawk standing rib roast. Basically a prime rib with the bones completely intact and frenched so the bones are 2 feet long on top of the roast. This would simply be for social media content.

Speaking of social media, I'll be doing a ton of Instagram Live broadcasts from the event. You can watch them on your phone here. Other than the debauchery and food from @[icon]'s joint, I'll be hanging with Brad as I said and Chris Lilly from Big Bob Gibson's and a three time Grand Champion at MiM. 
As glad as we are to host ya, I’m really glad your trip fleshed out to include contacts/hangs with a bunch of the other bigwigs down there. Will give you a much more complete experience than just hanging at one place. ????

My buddy that took my idea of the reclaimed cedar signs with laser cut Aircraft aluminum logos (huge special thanks to @Johnny Rock there), backlit by LED faux flame lights.... he’s nearing completion: 

PICS: https://imgur.com/a/9K99A7Y

VIDEO:https://www.dropbox.com/s/izp79gt0ycrh58s/Video May 10%2C 12 57 43 PM.mov?dl=0

It’s about 7’ wide IIRC, for behind the bar.

The 3x3 two sided one for over the door/walkway is nearing completion as well. 

As glad as we are to host ya, I’m really glad your trip fleshed out to include contacts/hangs with a bunch of the other bigwigs down there. Will give you a much more complete experience than just hanging at one place. ????

My buddy that took my idea of the reclaimed cedar signs with laser cut Aircraft aluminum logos (huge special thanks to @Johnny Rock there), backlit by LED faux flame lights.... he’s nearing completion: 

VIDEO:https://www.dropbox.com/s/izp79gt0ycrh58s/Video May 10%2C 12 57 43 PM.mov?dl=0

That's really killer!

This does look great, i can't wait for next week!!!!!!!!

TheFanatic said:

I've spoken with both Brad and Chris before....if you can facilitate a meeting for me to meet them in person I would be much obliged.   Looking forward to meeting you down there as well.

[icon] said:
very jealous.  my favorite cut of meat - by really far.  

just the regular stuff is fantastic - can't imagine the A5.  

Users who are viewing this thread