What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MEMPHIS BBQFest > 2023 > 1 Month Away - $100,000 budget due to inflation! (3 Viewers)

Wait - so the A5 was for personal use and not the competition?  I assumed it was brisket, but hearing this brings victory from the grasp of tragedy.  Enjoy every ounce of that bad boy....

Wait - so the A5 was for personal use and not the competition?  I assumed it was brisket, but hearing this brings victory from the grasp of tragedy.  Enjoy every ounce of that bad boy....

We ordered enough A5 to turn in for comp and for us to treat ourselves (and a few key sponsors) a little bit for all the hard work (and money) we put in

We ordered enough A5 to turn in for comp and for us to treat ourselves (and a few key sponsors) a little bit for all the hard work (and money) we put in
That’s awesome.  I didn’t know they had a ribeye cap type category.  I’m in Vegas and have never had the opportunity to go to one.  I do my backyard fun for family and friends, and read all my meathead blogs and Franklin BBQ YouTube videos, but that is definitely on my bucket list.  Good luck and I’m going to keep following!

POD Drop

Smoker Drop 

Scaffold Build 

All tomorrow... In that order. 

Satuday morning: 

Carpet Booth

Load in /Unpack POD

Have vendor install tent on 2nd level

Hang banners/Set up Kitchen/wire refrigeration to prepare for power 

POD Drop

Smoker Drop 

Scaffold Build 

All tomorrow... In that order. 

Satuday morning: 

Carpet Booth

Load in /Unpack POD

Have vendor install tent on 2nd level

Hang banners/Set up Kitchen/wire refrigeration to prepare for power 
We’ll be following the same plan, beginning on Sat. I’ll be down Sunday around noon.

[icon] said:
As glad as we are to host ya, I’m really glad your trip fleshed out to include contacts/hangs with a bunch of the other bigwigs down there. Will give you a much more complete experience than just hanging at one place. ????

My buddy that took my idea of the reclaimed cedar signs with laser cut Aircraft aluminum logos (huge special thanks to @Johnny Rock there), backlit by LED faux flame lights.... he’s nearing completion: 

PICS: https://imgur.com/a/9K99A7Y

VIDEO:https://www.dropbox.com/s/izp79gt0ycrh58s/Video May 10%2C 12 57 43 PM.mov?dl=0

It’s about 7’ wide IIRC, for behind the bar.

The 3x3 two sided one for over the door/walkway is nearing completion as well. 
I'm glad this all worked out too. Was OK with just coming down to hang out and have a blast, but the opportunity to make some cash and network is something I can't pass up. Think about this for a minute. One of my dad's BBQ idol's is Chris Lilly. One of the few people in BBQ I have never met. So on Friday, my dad is going with me to hang out with Chris Lilly for an hour or so. We take a few pics, shoot some video, maybe do an Instagram Live. I post some stuff to social media and my work is done. I would do that for free, and yet someone is paying me to do it. I've got to tell you I've had more pinch me moments than a man deserves. Way more. 

Oh, and I SOOOOOOOO want one of those signs. Let's talk about those next month. 

I've spoken with both Brad and Chris before....if you can facilitate a meeting for me to meet them in person I would be much obliged.   Looking forward to meeting you down there as well.
Brad I can introduce you to no problem. I've hung out with him a few times now. Chris I'm meeting for the first time on Friday. But I will see what I can do there. 

I'm glad this all worked out too. Was OK with just coming down to hang out and have a blast, but the opportunity to make some cash and network is something I can't pass up. Think about this for a minute. One of my dad's BBQ idol's is Chris Lilly. One of the few people in BBQ I have never met. So on Friday, my dad is going with me to hang out with Chris Lilly for an hour or so. We take a few pics, shoot some video, maybe do an Instagram Live. I post some stuff to social media and my work is done. I would do that for free, and yet someone is paying me to do it. I've got to tell you I've had more pinch me moments than a man deserves. Way more. 

Oh, and I SOOOOOOOO want one of those signs. Let's talk about those next month. 
Absolutely awesome. You’ve built a machine and now you’re reaping the rewards of that hard work. Huge props man!  Hell our video got literally 100x more views when you shared it. That’s a powerful thing and brands realize it. 

Putting this on my calendar to attend next year.  Anybody can just wander around the festival, yes?  But you need to "know" someone to get into one of the team areas?  I mean for those of us non-hot chicks that is.

So, Memphis may reached out to us about a fun cross promotion/publicity stunt they’re pulling with the Memphis zoo.

Apparently the handlers of the big cats like to apply barbecue rub to the meat when they feed them. They have chosen four teams to try their rub, and see which one the Lions and Tigers prefer. ??

So we are going up against last year’s grand champion Chris Lily with big Bob Gibson barbecue (5x Grand Champion), Melissa Cookston with Memphis BBQ Company / Yazoo Delta Q (2x Grand Champion), and Central BBQ (Local institution with Amazing BBQ). 

This should be fun... 

Last edited by a moderator:
Putting this on my calendar to attend next year.  Anybody can just wander around the festival, yes?  But you need to "know" someone to get into one of the team areas?  I mean for those of us non-hot chicks that is.
Yep! Anyone can get into the park for $10. They Are expanding offerings for the public with regards to good barbecue… They have tours through tents, they have barbecue alley where a bunch of teams actually sell the product now. 

But the best way to enjoy this festival is as a guest of a team… And it’s not even really close. As a guest of a team, literally everything is completely free the entire time… Lunch, dinner, booze. 

Yep! Anyone can get into the park for $10. They Are expanding offerings for the public with regards to good barbecue… They have tours through tents, they have barbecue alley where a bunch of teams actually sell the product now. 

But the best way to enjoy this festival is as a guest of a team… And it’s not even really close. As a guest of a team, literally everything is completely free the entire time… Lunch, dinner, booze. 
I aim to start traveling more now with the leeches...I mean kids either out or almost out of college.

And I have never been to Memphis...

Absolutely awesome. You’ve built a machine and now you’re reaping the rewards of that hard work. Huge props man!  Hell our video got literally 100x more views when you shared it. That’s a powerful thing and brands realize it. 
And the crazy thing is, I'm being throttled right now. My last couple of posts really tanked by my standards so I have to take a break for a few days. I'll explain that part later. Had I not been throttled, it would've done a lot better. I'm taking a break today through Monday so that I'm back to normal by this time next week.

Okay... 

This thread is kinda dying aside from a few key folks. 

I know my annual tradition has been to update it daily with pics of combo of meat, bebauchery, and festival stuff... 

that said this thread may have fun it’s course. Kinda dead in here. May just throw some imgur links up later... 
Long time lurker/infrequent poster.  Love this thread.  I will be there on Friday night at the invitation of another team. I will be enjoying my BBQ but silently wishing I were at your tent.

Mixlflick1 said:
Long time lurker/infrequent poster.  Love this thread.  I will be there on Friday night at the invitation of another team. I will be enjoying my BBQ but silently wishing I were at your tent.
Email me details and first/last name to usualsaucepects@gmail.com and I’ll get ya in the list to stop by for a beer ??

Load in day! 

Developments from yesterday: 

POD DROP: pack rat’s truck broke down (yes, they have ONE truck apparently) and our POD was delayed several hours which pushed everything back including making scaff crew stand and wait. 

SMOKER LOAD IN- because pack rat “upgraded” us from 12’ to 16’ unit, we couldn’t fit the smoker like usual.

This was exacerbated by MIM putting fences up Thursday night (usual always go up fri night). This means our ability to “steal 5-10 extra feet behind our booth was gone for the first time in a decade... when we really needed it. 

SO we brainstormed and then using a forklift, some tow straps, and SERIOUS forklift skills, we were able to spin the $50k Southern Pride smoker into position literally inches from the scaffold pipe. Boom. Now we not only can fit it, but @tipsy mcstagger, @sbonomo, and the rest of the kitchen crew can access the cooking chamber from INSIDE the booth. Check out @usualsaucepects on Instagram or Facebook for a couple short videos of setup yesterday that show this sweet move and some other stuff. 

SCAFF BUILD: Because of the delay from Pack Rat having a ripple effect, our scaff Guy was cracking the whip on his crew a little too hard and 9 guys (well over half his crew) quit at 5pm. Two team members went down to help, he strapped on his tools, and they got it 80% done.

They’re heading down now to finish it. We pushed load-in by team back to noon (from 9am). The GF and I are picking up a team member from ATL at 10am, hitting ALSCO to grab our free custom mats, chef shirts, towels, aprons, etc to bring down to the booth for the team, and hitting the park by 11am. 

BIG day today getting everything in order. I’ll be posting updates on Instagram and Facebook. @usualsaucepects for both. Wish us luck! 

Neil's cooking on a Southern Pride cooker?
Yep! Wouldn’t believe it eh? We are using it as a stickburner via the firebox. It’s just far too consistent/convenient of a unit. Incredible capacity and with self basting rotisserie & convection it is just works for our purposes down there. 

Things have changed a LOT since you visited. You should make another trip out sometime! :)  

Yep! Wouldn’t believe it eh? We are using it as a stickburner via the firebox. It’s just far too consistent/convenient of a unit. Incredible capacity and with self basting rotisserie & convection it is just works for our purposes down there. 

Things have changed a LOT since you visited. You should make another trip out sometime! :)  
Wow. Have a great time!

Neil's cooking on a Southern Pride cooker?
Don’t knock it.  After using it for years you grow to appreciate the sheer quantity of food you can cook.  Last year we put 60 butts on at once and later did 100 rack of ribs.  For the number of people we cook for it is a nice luxury to have!

Last edited by a moderator:
TIPSY DAY! 

Teammates arriving from Louisiana (@tipsy mcstagger), California ( @sbonomo), and New Mexico (Bonomo2) today. 

Picking up custom chef shirts/aprons for the team, as well as the custom bar mats, anti-fatigue mats, bar towels, gloves, etc. 

Also picking up 2 cases of Larceny Bourbon as a token of appreciation for letting a liquor rep bring a small group in for an hour. 

A5 Waygu Tenderloin and Rib Cap Lansing today. 

Lots of remaining setup to get done today. Our 200A electrical service was connected so we will run power to all refrigeration to get them cooling in anticipation of the arrival of Meat (6:30am) and Beer (11am) tomorrow. 150lb of live crawfish and 30lbs of shrimp being delivered Tomm.

Also being delivered tomorrow: 50 cases of RedBull with 3 Ice bins, 4 high top tables, and a portable bar for upstairs.

Finally, the $175k a/v system with upgraded intelligent lighting, 3x 70” panels inside and 1x 90” modular weatherproof LED panel outside over the door... all being installed today and tomorrow. 

Plus we find out if the tigers and snow leopards preferred us over local legends Central BBQ, so we can advance in that comp. :lol:  

Is it wrong that I have mentally checked out of my day job and can only think about Memphis?
I’ve been going thru the motions at the office for a week now ? 

Slipped our at 11 yesterday and will do the same today to “work from home”.  Not even coming in tomorrow. 

When did the third level fall by the wayside? 
We only did 3 floors that year you came down. MIM added requirements for engineer drawings to be stamped by the city (adds $1-1.5k).

We moved to a 50% wider lot to get same square footage in 2 stories. technically a better layout, but we do miss the team floor :)  

We only did 3 floors that year you came down. MIM added requirements for engineer drawings to be stamped by the city (adds $1-1.5k).

We moved to a 50% wider lot to get same square footage in 2 stories. technically a better layout, but we do miss the team floor :)  
I can imagine it's a better / simpler layout, but ya that 2nd floor was a cool thing too. Kitchen looks bigger too, which is awesome.

During prime time party hours, do folks just head up top and chill? Do you guys keep tables up there the whole time?

I can imagine it's a better / simpler layout, but ya that 2nd floor was a cool thing too. Kitchen looks bigger too, which is awesome.

During prime time party hours, do folks just head up top and chill? Do you guys keep tables up there the whole time?
We have top deck booked for private dinners Thursday (CDW/Cisco/Netapp) and Friday (CDW / Lenovo) from 4:30-8:30 then things open up for the masses. 

Top deck has a big TV showing any games on (we have DirecTV feed), and dedicated speakers. It gets crowded up there at night during peak times as well, but there are tables and chairs for folks to sit and relax at. 

Your incredulous response may be seen by some as knocking. I know you’re just shocked to see Tipsy cooking on it given his almost fanatical devotion to stick burning and his Lang pits :D  
Asking "Neil's cooking on a Southern Pride cooker?" is "incredulous"? 

I've always known Neil to cook on a Lang. So I asked. 

Users who are viewing this thread