Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
[icon]

MEMPHIS BBQFest > FEST HAS BEGUN - Updates inside

12 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

What are you talking about "knock it"? Who is knocking it?

Easy there turbo, read the rest of the post.  

Second story was always worthless imo.  I like this design much better.

6 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

Asking "Neil's cooking on a Southern Pride cooker?" is "incredulous"? 

I've always known Neil to cook on a Lang. So I asked. 

This is more for the masses plus they are a major sponsor.  Honestly it will be my fifth year cooking on this platform and for the numbers we feed it is amazing.  Very consistent, easy to use and having the option of heat source is key.  Come try it out one of these years!

5 hours ago, [icon] said:

Joe being weird ITT. :lol: 

Tipsy is in town officially! Bunch of stuff being loaded in and set up today. Wheee! 

Well as long as we don’t post pictures and  ask someone to decide what looks better we should be fine.  I would hate too hurt anyone’s feelings if they have a smoker they think looks better or god forbid a smoker feels inadequate next to other smokers!!!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, sbonomo said:

This is more for the masses plus they are a major sponsor.  Honestly it will be my fifth year cooking on this platform and for the numbers we feed it is amazing.  Very consistent, easy to use and having the option of heat source is key.  Come try it out one of these years!

Thanks @sbonomo   Would love to. Sounds like a great time. Are you cooking with Neil's team too or do you have another team there?

Edited by Joe Bryant
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Thanks @sbonomo   Would love to. Sounds like a great time. Are you cooking with Neil's team too or do you have another team there?

@Joe Bryant - I have been on the team since Neil started.  He will be the third pittmaster since I have been there.  You actually met my brother and I few years back when you came out.  We basically do the cooking for the masses.  The last few years we have had pitt masters that organize but we do the lions share of actual cooking.  I have finished as high as 7out of 157 with poultry in the ancillaries.  Last year we had the Bomb threats the second I boxed my dish so didn’t do as wel.  Although I did get top 25 in beef.  When you look at the usuaual saucespects photos I am one of the twins, although we have three sets!!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sbonomo said:

@Joe Bryant - I have been on the team since Neil started.  He will be the third pittmaster since I have been there.  You actually met my brother and I few years back when you came out.  We basically do the cooking for the masses.  The last few years we have had pitt masters that organize but we do the lions share of actual cooking.  I have finished as high as 7out of 157 with poultry in the ancillaries.  Last year we had the Bomb threats the second I boxed my dish so didn’t do as wel.  Although I did get top 25 in beef.  When you look at the usuaual saucespects photos I am one of the twins, although we have three sets!!

Awesome. Sorry, didn't connect the screen name to the real guy. Hope you guys have a great time and good luck!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BLOCKED_PUNT said:

So if I come I will get free BBQ, right? 

Cool kids get invited into booths get everything free. Busters get stuck outside buying $6 corn dogs and bud lights 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BLOCKED_PUNT said:

So if I come I will get free BBQ, right? 

Just ask for icon or sbonomo and you will be good (sbonomo might work better because it is my real name Hahahaha)

Edited by sbonomo

I've lived here most of my life but I've never been to BBQ fest b4 despite my love of BBQ. I think its too late to get a ticket and y'all don't know me anyways. Maybe next year I can come support you. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sbonomo said:

Second story was always worthless imo.  I like this design much better.

I didn't realize the 2nd level is now completely covered. That's HUGE

• Like 1

10 hours ago, [icon] said:

Cool kids get invited into booths get everything free. Busters get stuck outside buying $6 corn dogs and bud lights 

:lol:

REGULATE!

"And if yo' ### is a busta, 213 will regulate"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JerseyToughGuys said:

I didn't realize the 2nd level is now completely covered. That's HUGE

Yep! $2k for a 30x40 tent installed up there for 5 days. Another reason this is a very expensive party ?

21 hours ago, BLOCKED_PUNT said:

I've lived here most of my life but I've never been to BBQ fest b4 despite my love of BBQ. I think its too late to get a ticket and y'all don't know me anyways. Maybe next year I can come support you. 

Come down we’ll get you a beer at a minimum.

• Like 1

Awesome Facebook videos icon. Liked all of them. Looks like a blast party. Have fun. I’ll be following along:thumbup:

• Like 1

One of these years...kids will both be out of high school after May of '19 so maybe 2020. 

• Like 2

A few Images: https://imgur.com/gallery/70Fjfh9

Holy hell im Smoked. Feet are killing me, my voice is faltering, I’m running on adrenaline and caffeine having only slept about 9-10 hours since Wednesday.... but I love it. 

HUGE nights the last two nights... incredible crowds, so much energy. Patrick Dodd & Josh Roberts were on point... Kirk Smithhart crashing the party and sitting in on guitar for a few songs took things to another level.

Dave Grohl was apparently walking, heard them, stopped, and stood outside for 20 mins listening to them jam. When they took a set break, Josh rolled out of the booth and Dave grabbed him and raved about how awesome they were, how they were “playing the real ####”, and how he had been standing out there listening to them for 20 mins or so. 

The food has been remarkable. @tipsy mcstagger, @sbonomo, and the rest of the fellas in the back have churned our hands-down the best food we’ve served in years. The Ribs, shoulder and Brisket are on another level.

The crispy-skin Duck with (I forget the name of the fantastic sauce), the Frenched lamb chops basted in rendered duck fat and dressed with a balsamic reduction, the Shrimp & Grits with andouille & shrimp stock, the prime brisket burnt ends.... all incredible.

The Japanese A5 satsuma waygu filet, however, was otherworldly. I had never tasted it before and now I must say the hype is real. I sliced off a bit of the filet and ate it raw. Despite intense marbling that made it look like it would be stringy/chewy... it was like biting through room temp butter. Then we seared on our Saber IR Grill, using only salt and pepper, served rare and sliced about 1/3” thick.... oh my God. As one of our crazier, more witty team members said: “If #### tasted like that, I’d be gayer than Elton John.” ?

Have had a great time hanging with @TheFanatic when schedules meshed up! 

As always it’s a blast being next door to @Tusken Raider and his crew... awesome crew. 

Between our Two videographers, and the seemingly endless stream of media and TV crews, it seemed like there was a swarm of cameras in the air every time a piece of meat hit the heat. 

“Carnivorous” TV crew was onsite yesterday for a bunch of shooting. For some reason they singled me out, mic’d me up, and I spent 20mins on camera talking with Courtney about our team, our Rib process, and the processes behind some of our ancillaries. She’s actually a SUPER cool chick, and hot as hell in person. Some cool shots of her tasting some of our food and just raving about it. They’re supposed to be back today to shoot some of our Rib process and turn ins. 

Hopelessly trying to get more than a few hours sleep before heading down around 10am to clean up the booth and prepare for judges a bit after 1pm. 

I hope my body can hold out... 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 18

The food pics are incredible... I'm going to have to get BBQ today because of them.

The music sounds like it was fantastic... is there any video of it anywhere?

I love the Bad Influence shirts :lol:

Is it safe to eat raw beef?  :oldunsure:

I think I missed it from earlier... do you still have Lagunitas for your beer this year?

Just found out my old team got 9th in Ribs this year. :shock:  Wish I'd been there!  Will have to get back for this one of these days - it's as awesome as you guys think it would be, but better.

• Like 2

Looks great, I'm glad you had another good year 

Did you place anywhere for the competition? 

Edited by MikeIke

I gotta go to this thing 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

I gotta go to this thing 

I keep saying that every year.  :wall:

• Like 1

My poor liver... and feet.... 

load out day. 

More to come....

15 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

I gotta go to this thing 

Say the same thing every year

16 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

I gotta go to this thing 

I want Wagyu beef now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Ref said:

Say the same thing every year

Me too. Damn kids and wife. ;) I’ve been reading @[icon]‘s threads on this every year for years. Amazing how big it’s gotten and I’m still MFing hungry every year. I was at a baseball tourney in Charleston which was very cool as well, but damn I need to make some me time next year.

Back in the office and less than 100% 

will Hopefully get a good update tonight. 

Top finishes were Beef (8th) and my Mustard Base (13th... a bit low but still very respectable). Ribs we were mid-pack. Very curious to see scores as they were very tasty. 

Sponsors and guests all raves about Tipsys Ribs being a huge upgrade over last years :thumbup: 

Oh, and we have been invited to compete in the SMP Grillmaster HEB National Championship in Monterrey Mexico this September. Entry, tents, grills, helpers all provided onsite. Just show up with our recipies. I think we are going to do it. 

• Like 11

OK, i think the biggest question now is....do you have any swag left over? Hats? Shirts? Used bartender aprons? 

I mean, I couldn't make it there, but at least I can look like i did! 

Edited by glvsav37
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, glvsav37 said:

OK, i think the biggest question now is....do you have any swag left over? Hats? Shirts? Used bartender aprons? 

I mean, I couldn't make it there, but at least I can look like i did! 

We actually DO! I’ll get inventory this week. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, [icon] said:

Shirts!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [icon] said:

:goodposting:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, [icon] said:

does pre-staining with BBQ sauce cost extra? I mean if I want to pretend I was there, I would hope my fingers were far from clean all weekend...ya know? (take that as you will) 

• Like 2

On 5/19/2018 at 7:31 AM, [icon] said:

Have had a great time hanging with @TheFanatic when schedules meshed up! 

As always it’s a blast being next door to @Tusken Raider and his crew... awesome crew. 

I wish schedules meshed more, but considering what I do, I have only so much time to get done what I need to get done as well as schmooze with any and all brands that might be willing to pay me for my services. That and getting down to you guys was like a marathon. Kept getting pulled into booths on the way. I must say though, the pics and the hype don't do it justice. It outpaces the pics and hype by a long shot. One more item ticked off my bucket list. And the good news is, it looks like I'll be going back every year. Smithfield already asked me to go to Royal and are talking about me heading back to MiM for next year. 

Also, @Tusken Raider is good people. I got the opportunity to talk to him for a few minutes between the booths. I didn't take him up on the IV, but probably should have. When all I could find in terms of beer on that first night was Bud Light, I switched over to the dark liquors. I regretted that in the morning. 

• Like 1

A horse named Memphisinmay just won the 3rd race at Churchill today

• Like 2

@sbonomo

@[icon]

A group of us friends will be in Memphis in a couple weeks (7/26-7/29) for a FF draft (we choose a different city most years) -- we'll be staying near Beale St (airbnb) -- a few questions:

1. Based on our location, best friend chicken place in the immediate area?
  2. Best spicy chicken place in the immediate area?
  3. Best BBQ in the immediate area?
  4. Other restaurant recs in the immediate area?
  5. Bar recs in Beale St. area?
  6. Any places to avoid?
  7. Best gentlemen-type place in the immediate area :unsure:

Can answer here or in a PM.

There'll be at least a dozen of us in our 40's -- TIA!   :thumbup:

3 minutes ago, higgins said:

1. Based on our location, best friend chicken place in the immediate area?

I would insert a joke about best friend and chicken, but I've heard that people get banned strenuously for typo humor. 

16 hours ago, higgins said:

@sbonomo

@[icon]

A group of us friends will be in Memphis in a couple weeks (7/26-7/29) for a FF draft (we choose a different city most years) -- we'll be staying near Beale St (airbnb) -- a few questions:

1. Based on our location, best fried chicken place in the immediate area country?

Gus’s on Front. Period. 

1. Best spicy chicken place in the immediate area?

Gus’s is a bit spicy. Memphis doesn’t really do Nashville Style Hot Chicken. What are you referring to here? 

1. Best BBQ in the immediate area?

Downtown I would suggest Central BBQ for the food or Rendezvous (dry ribs) for the experience. 

1. Other restaurant recs in the immediate area?

This depends TREMENDOUSLY on your budget/wants. Need more info. 

1. Bar recs in Beale St. area?

Beale is touristy as hell and generally avoided by locals, but Tap Room, Rum Boogie, B.B. Kings, Blues City, and Silkys are all decent options.

Main Street, Overton Square (Short Uber) are much better bar districts for locals. 

Downtown:

Flying Saucer, Local, Bardog are good flat out bars. Raifords is a great experience late night.  

16 hours ago, higgins said:
  1. Any places to avoid?

Wet Willies gets ghetto as hell on beale. Beale itself can get Ghetto as hell on Friday and Saturday night now that they removed  the cover charge. 

1. Best gentlemen-type place in the immediate area :unsure:

No gentlemen clubs downtown. Pony or Purple Diamond are your two best options but are a $15-20 cab/uber ride away. The clubs here are a shadow of what was once among the top scenes in America. 

Can answer here or in a PM.

There'll be at least a dozen of us in our 40's -- TIA!   :thumbup:

• Like 1

Just did Central BBQ last week. Ribs>Pulled Pork>>>Sausage > Brisket. 

I would do Gus' over Central or Rendezvous from my limited experiences there. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Brony said:

Just did Central BBQ last week. Ribs>Pulled Pork>>>Sausage > Brisket. 

I would do Gus' over Central or Rendezvous from my limited experiences there. 

This is accurate. Don’t sleep on the wings at central. 

The Food Network / Genius Kitchen episode of Carnivorous has dropped! It features 2018 World Champ The Shed, 2017 World Champ Big Bob Gibson, Porkasaurus, and of course our team, The Usual Saucepects:

LINK TO “CARNIVOROUS” EPISODE: http://watch.geniuskitchen.com/show/gkcrn/carnivorous/4630910/memphis-in-may-bbq-festival/

Overall very happy we had the opportunity. It was a ton of fun. I wish they had let our kitchen crew be on camera for this, Neil is a whiz on camera. Unfortunately the producer Nelson really pushed me to interview. 

Good times and more great exposure for our young team. 

ON TO 2019: Last night we had our first team meeting and are already beginning to meet with sponsors to discuss 2019 plans. 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 2