What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favre meeting with Childress (1 Viewer)

iSnitch

Footballguy
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Retired quarterback Brett Favre is scheduled to meet with Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress about a possible comeback, according to ESPN.

The Favre Files

Photos: Take a look back at his stellar 18-year career in photos. Top moments: Brett Favre's career was full of memorable moments, and we've got the top 10 best right here. Video: Will this really be it for Favre? Jay Glazer offers his take on the legendary QB's latest retirement.

The report Tuesday cited an anonymous source. It said Favre and Childress will meet at an undisclosed location later in the week. The longtime Packers quarterback retired for the second time after spending last season with the New York Jets. Both he and his agent, Bus Cook, said previously this spring that Favre intended to stay retired.

Cook did not immediately return a phone call to his Mississippi office.

Vikings spokesman Bob Hagan also did not immediately return a phone call.

Childress said last weekend that the Vikings would discuss Favre's availability after he was granted his release by the Jets.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the mods want to put this in that pissing match of Vikings/Packers fans then feel free to lock/move/delete...but I felt this news was worthy of its own thread.

The Favre FilesPhotos: Take a look back at his stellar 18-year career in photos. Top moments: Brett Favre's career was full of memorable moments, and we've got the top 10 best right here. Video: Will this really be it for Favre? Jay Glazer offers his take on the legendary QB's latest retirement.
Ironic

I think Sage may be a better qb as well, but if Favre does unretire he's not coming out to be a backup.

Make no mistake, if Favre wants to play for the Vikings and the arm checks out, Childress won't think twice about Sage or TJax. No more than the Jets thought about Pennington or Clemens.

Updated: May 5, 2009, 6:53 PM ET

Source: Favre, Vikes to discuss playing

By Ed Werder

ESPN.com

Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress and quarterback Brett Favre plan to meet at an undisclosed location later this week to discuss the possibility of the former Packers and Jets quarterback renouncing his retirement from the NFL to play the 2009 season with the Vikings, according to a source with direct knowledge of discussions between the two parties.

There is a mutual understanding that sometime soon thereafter Favre will decide whether to sign with the Vikings. The team would expect him to participate fully in offseason minicamps and training camps, which he missed last year with the Jets.

Favre has not been working out and declined to have surgery to repair the torn biceps tendon that plagued him the final month of last season.

Favre may believe the injury can heal on its own as did a similar problem with his left shoulder while he played in Green Bay. A source close to Favre told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that how the injury heals will play a role in the quarterback's decision.

The source also said that the quarterback's agent, Bus Cook, is researching unemployed NFL quarterback coaches to see if one can be hired to work with Favre in Mississippi while he ponders a possible return.

Favre wanted to play for the Vikings last season, but the Packers specifically eliminated their NFC North rivals as a potential destination for the Green Bay icon.

While Favre had been emphatic about not returning next season, he never anticipated the Jets would release him after drafting Mark Sanchez in the first round and could see the Vikings as the opportunity to fulfill the goal he was deprived of last season -- winning a Super Bowl.

Favre admitted to ESPN that he was motivated to play in 2008 largely because of his resentment toward Packers general manager Ted Thompson.

The Vikings had planned to have Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels compete for the starting quarterback position in training camp. With Jackson battling injuries last season, journeyman Gus Frerotte started 11 games and led the Vikes in passing.

Minnesota finished 10-6 to capture the NFC North but lost to the Eagles in the first round of the playoffs in a game started by Jackson.

iSnitch said:
I think Sage may be a better qb as well, but if Favre does unretire he's not coming out to be a backup.
Yea right. I don't have a hard on for Favre, but he could 50 and still be better then Sage could ever hope to be. I'm not sure why Favre caught so much flak last year, when he was playing with a torn bicep. If you want to suggest that he should have shut it down, or that he was playing to keep the streak alive, then I understand.

Well the NFC North just got a lot more interesting this offseason. Cutler, Stafford, Rogers, and perhaps Favre as the 4 starting QB's. Plus other exciting young talent like CJ, Peterson, Forte, Hester, Jennings, and others. This is turning into a dream fantasy football division.

I'd expect Favre and Sage to get into plenty heated arguments debating the merits of game-ending interceptions vs. fumbles.

I wonder if the Jets will feel mistreated somehow in this and expect some compensation.

Releasing him because he's retired is one thing, losing the chance to let young QB learn from HOF QB is another.

iSnitch said:
Yea right. I don't have a hard on for Favre, but he could 50 and still be better then Sage could ever hope to be. I'm not sure why Favre caught so much flak last year, when he was playing with a torn bicep. If you want to suggest that he should have shut it down, or that he was playing to keep the streak alive, then I understand.
I should have emphasized the MAY be part.

I wonder if the Jets will feel mistreated somehow in this and expect some compensation.Releasing him because he's retired is one thing, losing the chance to let young QB learn from HOF QB is another.
No, I think they expected something like this. Tannenbaum was asked about losing possible compensation and said something to the effect that what they potentially might get isn't worth the distraction that would exist if Favre were still their property and came out of retirement.And young QBs learning from someone like Favre is overrated. His delivery has never been prototypical, and he's never been the mentoring type.

Mort's recent Twitters:

Dungy did tell me that if Brett Favre meets with Brad Childress, as reported by ESPN's Ed Werder, then he's sure Brett will play with Vikes.

Favre has had a third party (agent Bus Cook?) researching for a QB coach to work on his fundamentals once his arm is healthy.

Vikes will want Favre up there, I think, thru OTAs that usually end around June 20, so I'm sure that's why Childress needs this meeting.

As ex-Packers coach told me, Vikings playbook is almost "exactly identical" to Packers' playbook when Favre was under Holmgren & Sherman.

Good for Favre, if this is what he wants.

If he's the best QB option for the Vikes (I know that's highly debateable), I'm excited for Favre, Minny, and the NFL.

Sources close to Madden report the recently retired announcer has been heard to say Screw the grandkids Favre is still gonna play.

You know, the sad part about all this repeated comeback stuff is that when he finally is forced to retire for good because he no longer can get it done, he's going to be one restless and frustrated individual. I think this business of him being content to putt around on his tractor is fine -- for about 2 months. Then he's bored out of his skull and wants to compete.

At some point that option won't be there. I guess it's like that for any player who has to leave the game due to diminished skills, but for Favre I think it'll be worse, despite these continual voluntary retirements, because once he rests up the fire he has in him to compete is so strong.

I know there is a lot of kidding about his aborted retirements, but I really admire the man's competitiveness.

You know, the sad part about all this repeated comeback stuff is that when he finally is forced to retire for good because he no longer can get it done, he's going to be one restless and frustrated individual. I think this business of him being content to putt around on his tractor is fine -- for about 2 months. Then he's bored out of his skull and wants to compete. At some point that option won't be there. I guess it's like that for any player who has to leave the game due to diminished skills, but for Favre I think it'll be worse, despite these continual voluntary retirements, because once he rests up the fire he has in him to compete is so strong.I know there is a lot of kidding about his aborted retirements, but I really admire the man's competitiveness.
Dilfer and marino need to get him on the golf course more if he wants to compete...that's what a lot of retired NFL and especially QBs do...Kelly, Elway, Marino, they all play a lot of fairly competitve golf. BTW: What does this do to Trent Dilfer's horrible broadcasting career. "Favre text me back, NO!!!"...guess that was code for you're not my buddy and I am never gonna tell you the truth.

tombonneau said:
iSnitch said:
Sage Rosenfels is hiring a hitman...
Nah. Dude still gets paid. In fact, if they sign Favre, I wonder how much cap space the Vikings will have tied up in the QB spot? I'd think Tarvaris is getting decent money too ...
Probably much less than most teams.

I guess I am through defending Childress from the rest of the Viking faithful. The rumor was that the Vikings did not pursue Cutler because someone in the organization believed he was a selfish player but they have no problem with Favre. Favre actions the last couple of years have been nothing but self serving. Bunch of friggin hypocrites.

Favre comes to camp and QB competition is over. He will be proclaimed the starter and even when he is hurt or plays terrible nobody on the coaching staff will have the guts to bench him.

vikingdave said:
There is a mutual understanding that sometime soon thereafter Favre will decide whether to sign with the Vikings. The team would expect him to participate fully in offseason minicamps and training camps, which he missed last year with the Jets.
I don't think "soon thereafter" means the same thing to the Vikings and to Favre.

Man. The only thing that will make it worth signing Favre is that so many heads will explode with rage, but seriously, he's pretty old now, and I just got through amping myself up for Sage Rosenfels.

Take it for what it is worth. I have a buddy who says that Deanna Favre is currently at The Local, a downtown Minneapolis restaurant....
This is getting silly though...She was in Green Bay earlier this morning...then went back to Hattiesburg...so she got back ona plane for up north too?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/44377662.html
It said she boarded a private plane... maybe that plane was headed to Minny. The fact that she was already up North makes it very plausible to me.

This is just like the Police Academy franchise... they just had to push it too far and churn out one last crappy movie even though it was clear the films had run their course.

You have to admire unselfish players like Kerry Collins and Kurt Warner. Both were willing to take a job as a backup and when they got their chance to play again made the most of it.

Compare that to Favre who retires and then asks for a trade rather than play back up to Rodgers. He goes to the Jets and they immediately push Chad Pennington out the door and they eat his signing bonus. They wasted cap space and a third round pick for him just to have him retire again.

Now the idiots in Minnesota are going to give him the starting QB job – no way else they are going to get him out of retirement. They will have to retract their statements to Rosenfels when they told him that he would get the opportunity to compete and Jackson will languish on the bench. Booty will probably get the boot and Favre will serve up yet another interception to knock his third team in a row out of the playoffs

You have to admire unselfish players like Kerry Collins and Kurt Warner. Both were willing to take a job as a backup and when they got their chance to play again made the most of it.Compare that to Favre who retires and then asks for a trade rather than play back up to Rodgers. He goes to the Jets and they immediately push Chad Pennington out the door and they eat his signing bonus. They wasted cap space and a third round pick for him just to have him retire again. Now the idiots in Minnesota are going to give him the starting QB job – no way else they are going to get him out of retirement. They will have to retract their statements to Rosenfels when they told him that he would get the opportunity to compete and Jackson will languish on the bench. Booty will probably get the boot and Favre will serve up yet another interception to knock his third team in a row out of the playoffs
It's great to have an opinion, but Favre does have a Super Bowl ring and also served up another strong performance in a classic with Denver the following season. I realize he throws a lot of interceptions but many of the gunslingers do, guys like Marino, Moon, Kelly, they all thre their fair share of interceptions, many of them at very unopportune times. Not defending Favre but the Vikings as many of us have said even before the Vikings fans wanted to talk about it, was that this team is ready to win right now. They have a pretty good OL and perhaps the best starting DL in the NFL. I love the Giants depth at DL but I like the frontline players etter in MN. But getting back on point here, the Vikes are ready to win now and windows do not stay open forever. Childress is one of the worst coaches in the NFL in my opinion, in fact I started a thread on this guy last year that ran for most of the season. But in this case, I can understand why he would at least explore the option. Favre with Sage in the wings would be a very strong QB tandem and turn a glaring weakness into at least an average to above average situation. They have a great starting RB with another RB behind him that could start for many teams in the NFL...you never heard Chester mentioned in any trades and that's because he is the best insurance they can have just in case ADP...The point is Donny, maybe you could ratchet this down just a hair, we all get your disdain for Favre and what he has done the past couple of years, but in 2007 he was amazing durign the season and took his team to the NFC Championship, was a lot of fun for NFL fans who crave to hold on to just a little more magic from a guy like Favre who connects back to guys like Marino, Moon, Montana...Favre has that kind of fan base. I hate the Green Bay Packers but I have loved watching Brett Favre play all these years and if he wants to keep playing then I want to keep watching, be it for the Vikes or whoever. But Favre is better than anything the Vikes have thrown out there the past 4-5 years since CPepp was injured. I would be excited if I was a MN Vikings fan not upset. You all have never won a Super Bowl and Favre has so chill out just a little and enjoy the festivities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread