What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favre meeting with Childress (1 Viewer)

Well...its over for now.

If it stays over...it will be pretty funny watching the Vikings trying to convince Tarvaris and Sage how much confidence they have in them.

Favre very well could have just screwed the Vikes a bit again.
Yes! I have always wondered how they felt they compared to a future 1st ballot hall of famer as well!
so you think they felt fine sitting back watching their team and fans fawn over a guy who sucked down the stretch last year whose motivation was seeming not about team but about sticking it to a GM of another team?Spin it all you want...but no way was it good for those two. Though, I doubt you will ever admit it.
Once again you think you know the whole story without all the details. Maybe Childress didn't promise Favre the starting position, but rather said he'd have a head start on it? Maybe he wanted Favre to prove that he was better than the two QBs he had on roster already and Favre wasn't interested in that? We have no idea why Favre said no at this point. Furthermore, if you've never been a good QB in this league(like TJ or Sage) and you're pissy that your team thought to look at a future HOF QB to see if he still has the skills to take the team far, then you probably don't have the testicular fortitude to play in this game. They haven't earned anything yet. Plus, TJ lost his job to Gus Frerotte last year and came back better for it. It motivated him to work harder. I have a feeling this will do the same, but go ahead and just to your conclusions like usual.
Where did I claim he promised him anything?Just going after him is the issue here. And you know darn well there was not talk about having a head start on the position...Favre was not coming in as a backup.

My conclusion is I don't believe its good for the 2 QBs. You can claim otherwise all you want and try and spin it as Chilly told him he would be competing if it makes you feel better.
give it up man, you are totally reaching here and everyone knows it. Of course he is going to have a sit down with these guys but thinking that it will affect either of them or it will be "funny" watching how it plays out is laughable. Childress has said the whole offseason they would be looking at upgrading the qb situation or any position if something came up, and he said that after they traded for sage.

No reaching needed. You admit they are going to have to sit down with them...its kind of the point. And it is funny to me that the Vikings and some of their fans got all worked up about what Favre might bring and for now they are still just left with Sage.

No reaching needed. You admit they are going to have to sit down with them...its kind of the point. And it is funny to me that the Vikings and some of their fans got all worked up about what Favre might bring and for now they are still just left with Sage.
Just give Favre thyme.

give it up man, you are totally reaching here and everyone knows it. Of course he is going to have a sit down with these guys but thinking that it will affect either of them or it will be "funny" watching how it plays out is laughable. Childress has said the whole offseason they would be looking at upgrading the qb situation or any position if something came up, and he said that after they traded for sage.
I don't think its a huge issue, but I do think this Childress-Farve saga could be viewed as a negative for the Vikings QB's. I think its possible that Childress never had anything more than a minor interest or curiosity with Favre, and maybe was just playing along to be polite or professional. But the media of course played it up and many were treating it like a done deal (still could happen I suppose). Tavaris Jackson almost certainly has very little confidence entering his fourth year. What a bizarre career he has had so far. I don't recall all the details, but it just seems he has been declared a starter and later benched multiple times, last year in favor of a dinosaur in Gus Frerotte. Sage can't possibly be happy about these events. More than anything, I think Childress is showing a lack of confidence in his plan, or lack of a plan altogether.

They traded for him and told him he'd have a chance to compete against Tarvaris...and then Favre got released. They also inquired about Cutler. But the fact is they never annointed him the starter, so he should already have a good idea that HE has to inspire THEM with confidence as to why he should be the starter. Not the other way around. He's still in the same position as he was before they inquired about Cutler or Favre, he's gotta show them he's as good as what they saw in him the last two years that inspired them to trade for him.
Nice post Scotty, and I think Sage is the right man for the job in MN. He doesn't have to zip it 30-40 times a game, he really just needs to hit the guy when they are open. That offense is built to run the ball and they will, Sage needs to simply keep the defense honest and I again say he is surely capable of this. I think it's a great situation for him and I am excited towatch the Vikes and Bears battle it out in this division.

Well...its over for now.If it stays over...it will be pretty funny watching the Vikings trying to convince Tarvaris and Sage how much confidence they have in them.Favre very well could have just screwed the Vikes a bit again.
Yes! I have always wondered how they felt they compared to a future 1st ballot hall of famer as well!
so you think they felt fine sitting back watching their team and fans fawn over a guy who sucked down the stretch last year whose motivation was seeming not about team but about sticking it to a GM of another team?Spin it all you want...but no way was it good for those two. Though, I doubt you will ever admit it.
I think they're grown men and they'll handle it however they will. It's not the first time something like that has happened to Sage Rosenfels, and Tarvaris has already ridden the pine in favor of Gus Frerotte, so I doubt it's much worse than that. There's plenty of offseason left for them to look over their shoulder to see if Greybeard changes his mind, of course, so it's probably in their best interest to just show up to work and do their best anyway. So far the only guy this offseason who's complained about being potentially replaced got moved. Maybe Rosie, Tarvaris, Culpepper, Cutler, Clemens, and Byron Leftwich, and Jason Campbell can all get together at some point this offseason and go camping as some sort of support group of QB's who've almost been replaced this year.
I never said they could not just handle it...my original point stands that the Vikings now have to convince those two that they have confidence in them.
It should not make a difference in how the QB's prepare for the season. The players have to earn the confidence of the staff. For the players part they know they have that confidence when they are named starter.

They traded for him and told him he'd have a chance to compete against Tarvaris...and then Favre got released. They also inquired about Cutler. But the fact is they never annointed him the starter, so he should already have a good idea that HE has to inspire THEM with confidence as to why he should be the starter. Not the other way around. He's still in the same position as he was before they inquired about Cutler or Favre, he's gotta show them he's as good as what they saw in him the last two years that inspired them to trade for him.
Nice post Scotty, and I think Sage is the right man for the job in MN. He doesn't have to zip it 30-40 times a game, he really just needs to hit the guy when they are open. That offense is built to run the ball and they will, Sage needs to simply keep the defense honest and I again say he is surely capable of this. I think it's a great situation for him and I am excited towatch the Vikes and Bears battle it out in this division.
very :goodposting: No doubt the division title and any wild card will be between the Bears and Vikings.Just another cold year in Green Bay when it comes to football playoffs

very :rolleyes: No doubt the division title and any wild card will be between the Bears and Vikings.Just another cold year in Green Bay when it comes to football playoffs
Yes...because Chicago and Minny were just so much far and away better than Green Bay last year right?

very :rolleyes: No doubt the division title and any wild card will be between the Bears and Vikings.Just another cold year in Green Bay when it comes to football playoffs
Yes...because Chicago and Minny were just so much far and away better than Green Bay last year right?
Obviously.

very :goodposting: No doubt the division title and any wild card will be between the Bears and Vikings.Just another cold year in Green Bay when it comes to football playoffs
Obviously.
GB 24 Min 19GB 27 Min 28GB 37 Chi 3GB 17 Chi 20So a 5 point win and a one point loss...and a 34 point win and a 3 point loss means they were that much worse huh?

GB 24 Min 19GB 27 Min 28GB 37 Chi 3GB 17 Chi 20So a 5 point win and a one point loss...and a 34 point win and a 3 point loss means they were that much worse huh?
Dude. Beating the Vikings might have been your "Superbowl" last year, but for the Vikings, beating Green Bay last year was simply one of 10 games that they won. Which coincidentilly, is how many games that the Packers lost, so yeah, it's pretty obvious that the Packers are a whole other level of suck, one that the Vikings haven't touched in three seasons. The Packers lost to the Jaguars man...get with it.

Dude. Beating the Vikings might have been your "Superbowl" last year, but for the Vikings, beating Green Bay last year was simply one of 10 games that they won. Which coincidentilly, is how many games that the Packers lost, so yeah, it's pretty obvious that the Packers are a whole other level of suck, one that the Vikings haven't touched in three seasons. The Packers lost to the Jaguars man...get with it.
Umm...the point is...on the field, the team was not much better.Yeah...3 seasons huh? Like when GB swept them in 2007?You talk about how much the Packer suck...yet they beat the Vikings in Rodgers first game. The Vikings nearly lost to the freaking Lions man...your boys are not as good as you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
GB 24 Min 19

GB 27 Min 28

GB 37 Chi 3

GB 17 Chi 20

So a 5 point win and a one point loss...and a 34 point win and a 3 point loss means they were that much worse huh?
Umm...the point is...on the field, the team was not much better.Yeah...3 seasons huh? Like when GB swept them in 2007?

You talk about how much the Packer suck...yet they beat the Vikings in Rodgers first game.

The Vikings nearly lost to the freaking Lions man...your boys are not as good as you think.
Your vision of good and bad is extremely miopic. You should take a step back: Without naming either of these teams (consider this a blind taste test to eliminate any fan bias), which is better: The team that finishes the season @ 10-6 with the division title, or the team that finishes 6-10?

And your vision is based simply on a record without looking at what went into each game and how things happened (and how the two played against each other).

Its pointless with you...you will never see it...or think you are fishing will be the excuse.

You bore me now.

And your vision is based simply on a record without looking at what went into each game and how things happened (and how the two played against each other).Its pointless with you...you will never see it...or think you are fishing will be the excuse.You bore me now.
Wow you actually believe that 6-10 is somehow close to 10-6...unbelievable. Obviously one team was more consistent over the course of the season, no matter how much you'd like to focus on 1/4 of a season's worth of games as an indication, that's not the end of it all. You also cite the games against the Lions as proof that the Vikings are bad, even though they won those games... The were not losses. Even if the Vikings lost BOTH games to the Lions, they'd still have finished with a better record than the Packers, so your point is clearly wrong.

And your vision is based simply on a record without looking at what went into each game and how things happened (and how the two played against each other).

Its pointless with you...you will never see it...or think you are fishing will be the excuse.

You bore me now.
Isn't this how you look at the Viking Super Bowl losses?

And your vision is based simply on a record without looking at what went into each game and how things happened (and how the two played against each other).Its pointless with you...you will never see it...or think you are fishing will be the excuse.You bore me now.
Wow you actually believe that 6-10 is somehow close to 10-6...unbelievable. Obviously one team was more consistent over the course of the season, no matter how much you'd like to focus on 1/4 of a season's worth of games as an indication, that's not the end of it all. You also cite the games against the Lions as proof that the Vikings are bad, even though they won those games... The were not losses. Even if the Vikings lost BOTH games to the Lions, they'd still have finished with a better record than the Packers, so your point is clearly wrong.
I don't believe the record is close.I think the teams are closer than you want to let on.The part about the Lions I was laughing at was you going on about the Packers losing to the Jags. You all needed a pretty questionable PI call to beat the Lions last year...you know, the worst team in football.And this team that is at a whole new level of suck beat you once and was a few yards away on a missed FG from sweeping your boys for the 3rd straight year.And the level of suck the Vikings have not seen in 3 seasons? Really only 2 removed from their own 6-10 campaign.Again, the teams are not as far apart as you want to believe.

You bore me now.
Isn't this how you look at the Viking Super Bowl losses?
As if this has any relevance in the discussion.

10 wins is a pretty big deal for some teams.
And apparently six is an even bigger deal for others! I guess it all depends on where you're sitting.
I think the teams are closer than you want to let on.
Which team has an established top ten D and which one is changing up their D out of desperation, and are even willing to move their best defensive player out of position to accomplish this? I am guessing the team that is more complete doesn't feel it's necessary to completely alter it's gameplan.

Favre has supposedly sent xrays of his shoulder to the Vikings...if there's significant surgery needed he'll stay retired. If it's something minor he'll consider coming back.

:thumbdown:

And apparently six is an even bigger deal for others! I guess it all depends on where you're sitting.
Which team has an established top ten D and which one is changing up their D out of desperation, and are even willing to move their best defensive player out of position to accomplish this? I am guessing the team that is more complete doesn't feel it's necessary to completely alter it's gameplan.
You seriously don't think the two teams are pretty evenly matched? I suspect your just baiting Sho Nuff, but I'm not sure. :confused:

You seriously don't think the two teams are pretty evenly matched? I suspect your just baiting Sho Nuff, but I'm not sure. :lmao:
Seriously, there is a big difference between how two teams perform in intra-divisional games and how they hold up over the course of a season, which is why I agree this year the NFC North comes down to the Bears and Vikings. In '07 the Bears swept the Packers, the two teams were pretty far apart talentwise, right? 13-3 vs. 7-9, bottom of the league vs. the top. Would you seriously argue that the Bears were close to being as good as the Packers that year?

You seriously don't think the two teams are pretty evenly matched? I suspect your just baiting Sho Nuff, but I'm not sure. :pickle:
Seriously, there is a big difference between how two teams perform in intra-divisional games and how they hold up over the course of a season, which is why I agree this year the NFC North comes down to the Bears and Vikings. In '07 the Bears swept the Packers, the two teams were pretty far apart talentwise, right? 13-3 vs. 7-9, bottom of the league vs. the top. Would you seriously argue that the Bears were close to being as good as the Packers that year?
I'm not really basing it on head to head. In the NFL they only play 16 games, so a team's W-L record is not always an acurate indication of the talent levels of team. In 2007 the Packers were 13-3 and the Vikings were 8-8. Did THAT much change between 2007 and 2008 for that kind of reversal? The Packers overachieved in 2007 and underachieved in 2008. You have to factor in schedule, injuries, changes in personelle, etc. If both teams go into 2009 healthy, I think they're pretty evenly matched. The Packers are better than you think.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4152783

A source close to the situation told ESPN's Jeremy Schaap on Friday that X-rays of Favre's right shoulder -- he has pain resulting from a torn biceps tendon -- have been sent to the Vikings and that the X-rays are in the process of being evaluated. If it is determined by Favre's and the Vikings' medical people that he needs anything less than "major" surgery on his shoulder, Favre will un-retire to play for the Vikings, the source said.

If "major" surgery is necessary, Favre will remain retired, the source said.
Why does Favre hate surgery? Does he want to avoid having to take pain medication afterward given his history of abuse? Understandable if that's the case.

A source close to the situation told ESPN's Jeremy Schaap on Friday that X-rays of Favre's right shoulder -- he has pain resulting from a torn biceps tendon -- have been sent to the Vikings and that the X-rays are in the process of being evaluated. If it is determined by Favre's and the Vikings' medical people that he needs anything less than "major" surgery on his shoulder, Favre will un-retire to play for the Vikings, the source said.

Why does Favre hate surgery? Does he want to avoid having to take pain medication afterward given his history of abuse? Understandable if that's the case.
That's a good question. :confused:

I've been trying to think of the best fictional parallel for this story, i.e. the disgruntled soldier going rogue after a long and loyal career. I keep thinking there's something in Shakespeare. If not, maybe Dennis Hopper's character in Speed. Ooh, or Ed Harris in The Rock.

Last edited by a moderator:

Possibly...that and the rehab part of it might not let him really be ready in time the way he would like to be.

GB 24 Min 19

GB 27 Min 28

GB 37 Chi 3

GB 17 Chi 20

So a 5 point win and a one point loss...and a 34 point win and a 3 point loss means they were that much worse huh?
Umm...the point is...on the field, the team was not much better.Yeah...3 seasons huh? Like when GB swept them in 2007?

You talk about how much the Packer suck...yet they beat the Vikings in Rodgers first game.

The Vikings nearly lost to the freaking Lions man...your boys are not as good as you think.
Your vision of good and bad is extremely miopic. You should take a step back: Without naming either of these teams (consider this a blind taste test to eliminate any fan bias), which is better: The team that finishes the season @ 10-6 with the division title, or the team that finishes 6-10?
:goodposting: I'll take the 10-6 team.

I've been trying to think of the best fictional parallel for this story, i.e. the disgruntled soldier going rogue after a long and loyal career. I keep thinking there's something in Shakespeare. If not, maybe Dennis Hopper's character in Speed. Ooh, or Ed Harris in The Rock.
You're thinking of the Odyssey. You know, where Ulysses wants to get home and retire, and the sirens keep calling him to wreck himself against the rocks.

Last year the Packers had the 8th rated offense and 20th rated defense. The Vikings had the 17th best offense but the 6th best defense. The Bears were 26th and 21st.

The Bears of course have upgraded with Cutler and are acknowledged to have had an effective draft from their position. Certainly one can expect some upgrade to their offensive numbers which will control time of possession some and thereby provide defensive relief. They appear on the uptick.

The Vikings, well had Childress used Peterson in some games where he inexplicably seemed to forget he existed they might have done better than 10 and 6. Tavaris Jackson showed more than many are giving him credit for, and had a fine Q.B. rating over his last 5 outings. I would not be surprised to see him beat out the competition they have brought in. I am unsure what Favre has left at this point. If they get him he may be an upgrade and a confidence boost, I suppose though the mobile, rough and tumble Favre with a rocket arm no longer exists and he may actually be a distraction. In the latter regard i don't think it will be as bad for the Q.B.'s as it may be for other players who may take sides on the issue of whether Favre should be handed a job and treated differently than others. It was one thing with the Packer were he had earned some slack. He has not earned that with the Vikings. His dues he has paid may not transfer as readily as some believe.

I recall the Packers starting slow in their running game with the Grant holdout and with substantial injuries along their O-line. I also recall defensive injuries, turf toes and spleens and hamstrings and such. With a new defensive coach, with a new scheme, and players drafted towards that scheme, perhaps their defense will improve Of course with aged corners perhaps it will fall apart easily. Also Rodgers was a first year starter working with an evolving runing game and some dinged up recievers. There is potential for growth here. There is also potential for them to fall apart at tackle and have a pathetic O-line.

I don't see the Vikings doing any better than 10 and 6.

I expect the Bears will have an improved record.

If the Packers can keep Clifton, Harris, and Woodson held together I could see them perform nearly t their 2007 level, though maybe not quite. If those guys fall apart I could see their record being even worse than last year.

I don't see the Vikings or Bears being as subject to variability as te Packers, though obviously they are star dependant teams to a certain extent.

I think Detroit is going to win one divisional game this year and maybe as many as two others. I believe they badly damage the season of whichever divisional fore they beat. I believe each of the pckers, Bears, and Vikings stands about an equal chance of being that one loss.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT FAVRE POSSIBLY COMING OUT OF RETIREMENT TO PLAY FOR THE VIKINGS. NOT WHICH TEAM SUCKS MORE. PLEASE TAKE YOUR FAN FIGHTS ELSEWHERE.

TIA

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT FAVRE POSSIBLY COMING OUT OF RETIREMENT TO PLAY FOR THE VIKINGS. NOT WHICH TEAM SUCKS MORE. PLEASE TAKE YOUR FAN FIGHTS ELSEWHERE.

TIA
He retired to get away from one team and wants to play for the other...that should tell you which team sucks more! :rant:

Interesting in all of this that we don't have statements from either side really.

Cook and Favre not saying a thing...Vikings not saying a thing (not just about the Xray report...but about the Yahoo story...or about the reports that Childress was heading down there to meet Favre).

Interesting in all of this that we don't have statements from either side really.Cook and Favre not saying a thing...Vikings not saying a thing (not just about the Xray report...but about the Yahoo story...or about the reports that Childress was heading down there to meet Favre).
:thumbup: Media is getting theirs!

I still can't believe that people have any doubt about Favre's intentions. This has been obvious for ages - he wants to play in Minnesota and stick it to TT. Unless he needs major surgery, it will happen. :)

Users who are viewing this thread