What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tiger Woods (5 Viewers)

These are people that don't care a thing about golf, they just want people to think they do and that they are Tiger's biggest fan. They are idiots. They are why I root against him. Nothing against him. It's these idiots that I root against and that means I root against him. So they jumped on Tiger's bandwagon in the late 90s, sold their clubs when he went dormant and have come back to jump on the bandwagon again. Good for the golf business but they are serious idiots. Morons like this guy a number of tourney's ago: 'yeah Tiger!!! Great shot Tiger!!!!!' He had no idea where it went because Tiger was behind trees. It went I the bunker. Yeah, most are complete morons.
This really transcends sports, bandwaggoners who only pay attention when a big name is involved. Main reason most baseball fans hate the Yankees, etc.

These are people that don't care a thing about golf, they just want people to think they do and that they are Tiger's biggest fan. They are idiots. They are why I root against him. Nothing against him. It's these idiots that I root against and that means I root against him. So they jumped on Tiger's bandwagon in the late 90s, sold their clubs when he went dormant and have come back to jump on the bandwagon again. Good for the golf business but they are serious idiots. Morons like this guy a number of tourney's ago: 'yeah Tiger!!! Great shot Tiger!!!!!' He had no idea where it went because Tiger was behind trees. It went I the bunker. Yeah, most are complete morons.
Pretty sure TV execs, tournament directors and golf club owners don’t care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hooper31 said:
I'm wondering how this "intimidation" is being interpreted by fans. I don't think its Tiger specifically. I think its the arena created by the massive crowd. I heard Chamblee describing it this morning trying to explain it to Golic on the radio, but Golic didn't get it. Its not Tiger, its the insane crowd. I got to see it once up close over a two day period when I was volunteering at the US Open in Chambers Bay. Tiger played with Fowler and Louis Oos the first two days. They were the only threesome that had a massive security detail that stayed between Tiger and the crowd 100% of the time. When guys were on the tee and putting the crowd was in constant movement with a buzz. It was so different than when all the other players came through. People can talk about the young players not be intimidated by a player they haven't watched live be dominant. I get that, but the zoo created by the crowd is something new to  younger players and I can only see it getting worse next year if Tiger makes pushes in majors. 

Speaking of the crowd and constant attention paid to Tiger I have a different rant. The tour has allowed an unfair imbalance to be created by the cameras. Some players are going to have EVERY shot broadcast. Its putting them under a microscope that other players don't get. If they're going to allow rules violations to be called based on what someone sees on TV (its happened, and I think it happens again eventually) they are creating two different standards. Not good. 
It's more than that.  People don't comprehend how "easily" Tiger beat this field yesterday.  He opened up between a 5-7 stroke lead and then he must managed his game like he always does when he has a lead (that's why he doesn't blow big leads - he doesn't do Mickelson at the US Open or Van De Velde at the Open stupid ####).  So instead of going for birdies he goes at center of greens to get easy 2 putts.  On par 5's he'll purposely hit in greenside bunkers so he can control spin if he just needs a par.  If he is in trouble, he'll take his medicine out of the rough, chip out, give himself a chance at par and if not walk off with the bogey.  He really would have destroyed the field by 5-7 strokes if he wasn't so conservative. But think of this.  He beat Phil Mickelson by 24 strokes.  Bubba Watson by 21, Patrick Reed by 20, Brooks Koepka by 15, DeChambeau by 10 and so on.  Most of the group including big names like Thomas, Fowler, Fleetwood, McIlroy got beat by the easiest 5-7 shots imaginable.  Horschel had nothing to lose and just fired at pins to get within 2.  This was a workmanlike Tiger effort of the old.  Don't let the margin of victory fool you.  He toyed with this field.  And the players know it.  Hence the intimidation.

I disagree completely.  I think he wanted to win by an ostentatious amount of strokes, like Pebble 2000 type stuff, and leave his competition aghast.

Interesting note that under next years Fedex format, Tiger could have birdied 18 to force a FedEx Cup playoff.

Speaking of their format, they should simplify it.  Most have no idea what's going on.  For them to have to constantly spell it out for viewers says as much.  Does anybody beyond the hard core fans even follow the thing?
For better or worse they are changing the format for next year.  Will start people at different par levels on Thursday and whomever wins, wins.

tommyboy said:
Just read that if Justin Rose didn't make birdie on 18 then tiger wins the FedEx cup also.

Not sure which is cooler, that Rose made a one putt for $10 Million or that tiger even had a chance. Unbelievable
That tiger even had a chance. For sure. 

Also, Rose two putted from 25 feet to win that 10mil

If Tiger can stay healthy he's a top 20 golfer.  I would love to see him build off this win, play well in the ryder cup, and get ready for Augusta.

Like the guy or not, have to admit it's pretty incredible what he did this year.

Top 20 golfer?  He was #1 in the world this season in tournaments he actually played. With an off season of rest and no surgery, I don’t see why we aren’t calling him top 10 or top 5. I certainly can’t name 5 guys I’d rather have my money on next year at Augusta. 

If Tiger can stay healthy he's a top 20 golfer.  I would love to see him build off this win, play well in the ryder cup, and get ready for Augusta.

Like the guy or not, have to admit it's pretty incredible what he did this year.
He's the best player in the world right now.

Yeah.  He knew what the margin was and played to win the tournament for sure.  Especially on 15, if he'd needed par he'd have hit a different shot.
If this was the case, why didn’t he play to win the FedEx Cup?  He was only a few strokes off. 

If this was the case, why didn’t he play to win the FedEx Cup?  He was only a few strokes off. 
He could have won by 40 and it wouldn’t have mattered. Points are based on place, not score. So all Rose had to do was stay abovt T-5, I think.

The fedex cup should be a points system where after all the tournaments they let the top 32 in points in. Then play a 5 round match play event, like the ncaa tournament:

Wednesday: round of 32

Thursday: sweet 16

Friday: great 8

Saturday: final four

Sunday: final match

It's more than that.  People don't comprehend how "easily" Tiger beat this field yesterday.  He opened up between a 5-7 stroke lead and then he must managed his game like he always does when he has a lead (that's why he doesn't blow big leads - he doesn't do Mickelson at the US Open or Van De Velde at the Open stupid ####).  So instead of going for birdies he goes at center of greens to get easy 2 putts.  On par 5's he'll purposely hit in greenside bunkers so he can control spin if he just needs a par.  If he is in trouble, he'll take his medicine out of the rough, chip out, give himself a chance at par and if not walk off with the bogey.  He really would have destroyed the field by 5-7 strokes if he wasn't so conservative. But think of this.  He beat Phil Mickelson by 24 strokes.  Bubba Watson by 21, Patrick Reed by 20, Brooks Koepka by 15, DeChambeau by 10 and so on.  Most of the group including big names like Thomas, Fowler, Fleetwood, McIlroy got beat by the easiest 5-7 shots imaginable.  Horschel had nothing to lose and just fired at pins to get within 2.  This was a workmanlike Tiger effort of the old.  Don't let the margin of victory fool you.  He toyed with this field.  And the players know it.  Hence the intimidation.
it's also the weird changes to the etiquette that the younger guys have never seen.  rose putted first on at least two holes, on day 3, when tiger was away.  why?  because if tiger holes out, rose has to putt through all the loons running to the next hole to get their spot.  tiger can make them wait, if he wants to.  i hope he keeps it up in the ryder cup, just to maximize the hysteria for next year's masters.  

The fedex cup should be a points system where after all the tournaments they let the top 32 in points in. Then play a 5 round match play event, like the ncaa tournament:

Wednesday: round of 32

Thursday: sweet 16

Friday: great 8

Saturday: final four

Sunday: final match
It’ll never be match play...too much to lose when huge leads build, and generally there’s too much downtime.

Users who are viewing this thread