Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

1 minute ago, dhockster said:

Okay so it looked like Koepka might have an historic runaway major after Friday. However, he was not able to keep up all the way through the weekend and ended up winning by 2. This made me revisit Tiger's Pebble Beach win in 2000. He averaged 68 for his 4 rounds and the field averaged just over 75. That's 7 shots a round that he was better than the average player in the tournament. That is truly insane, and I don't know if there is anyone in any sport who was that dominant over the rest of their competitors in a single event.

Not really arguing against your point, but just pointing out that BPB is a much tougher track.  And the wind kicking up on the back nine on Sunday made it even worse.  I don't think DJ and Keopka were so much falling apart, as much as they were struggling in the conditions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheIronSheik said:

Not really arguing against your point, but just pointing out that BPB is a much tougher track.  And the wind kicking up on the back nine on Sunday made it even worse.  I don't think DJ and Keopka were so much falling apart, as much as they were struggling in the conditions.

I am not taking anything away from Koepka. But Woods was almost 4 shots a round better than the two slappies (Ernie Els and Miguel Angel Jiminez) who finished in second place. The conditions at Pebble Beach were very tough, yet Woods shot 12 under when the next best score was 3 over par. It still boggles my mind.

• Like 1

So, does anyone want to admit they may have overreacted after The Masters?  

8 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

He's one of the top 5 players in the world.  But he's got to play more...no consistency. Not sure he can physically, at least all season.

I assume he ramps up at year end again with the Fedex run, when he played 10-12 weeks.  With this new Majors schedule, he may have to eventually choose to ramp up in April-July vs late summer.

16 minutes ago, gump said:

He's one of the top 5 players in the world.  But he's got to play more...no consistency. Not sure he can physically, at least all season.

I assume he ramps up at year end again with the Fedex run, when he played 10-12 weeks.  With this new Majors schedule, he may have to eventually choose to ramp up in April-July vs late summer.

Not playing between the Masters and the PGA was a huge mistake IMO (although IIRC he skipped the one planned event with an injury, but still: ONE EVENT??). 

I think he's got to play more weeks to keep his game sharp, but as you say, will his body hold up to let him do it?

yea i think hes trying to figure out the balance between avoiding his body breaking down and consistently playing more.  still a work in progress. 

1 hour ago, TheIronSheik said:

Maybe the guy who put 100k on him to win the Grand Slam?

• Sad 1

wat

You are having a rough morning, you didn't put any effort into this bait.

1 hour ago, matuski said:

You are having a rough morning, you didn't put any effort into this bait.

It's not bait.  After The Masters people were counting down how many more majors he'd win this year.  When I said that we should maybe cool our jets and realize he's an old guy and this was more a fluke than the norm, people went nuts.  

When asked if he'd win the PGA, I said it wasn't set up for him and people went nuts again.  I'm not taking anything away from his level of play right now, but I still think my version of reality where I said he's an old guy who probably won't be racking up major wins is slightly more accurate than what most thought.  

So I'm just asking if everyone who started thinking he was chasing down Jack again was now pulling back slightly on their expectations of Tiger today.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

It's not bait.  After The Masters people were counting down how many more majors he'd win this year.  When I said that we should maybe cool our jets and realize he's an old guy and this was more a fluke than the norm, people went nuts.  

When asked if he'd win the PGA, I said it wasn't set up for him and people went nuts again.  I'm not taking anything away from his level of play right now, but I still think my version of reality where I said he's an old guy who probably won't be racking up major wins is slightly more accurate than what most thought.  

So I'm just asking if everyone who started thinking he was chasing down Jack again was now pulling back slightly on their expectations of Tiger today.

Anyone winning a major is more of a fluke than the norm.

Unless of course you were talking about Tiger at his best.

eta - I missed any of what you described.  I saw people celebrating the greatest golfer ever for coming back and winning the Masters again.  Hard to overreact to the greatest ever doing something great.  :shrug:

Edited by matuski
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Nope.

5 hours ago, heckmanm said:

Not playing between the Masters and the PGA was a huge mistake IMO (although IIRC he skipped the one planned event with an injury, but still: ONE EVENT??). 

I think he's got to play more weeks to keep his game sharp, but as you say, will his body hold up to let him do it?

I mean the events were pretty ####ty between them.  Tbf

40 minutes ago, culdeus said:

I mean the events were pretty ####ty between them.  Tbf

Hey, not every town has a Perkins - sometimes you gotta settle for Waffle House.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, gump said:

nope

edit: ok, its close

Edited by joffer

14 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

He's like literally number 5 in the world golf rankings. 

was thinking more about the list in my head

31 minutes ago, joffer said:
46 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

He's like literally number 5 in the world golf rankings. 

was thinking more about the list in my head

He’s been playing competitively again for, what, 18-19 months?

The OWGR has an arbitrary minimum denominator of 40 events. If we instead used Woods’ actual number of events (29), his average points per event would be 10.31. Just behind #2 Dustin Johnson (10.46) and WAY ahead of Rose and McIlroy (8.70 & 8.63.)

Just out of curiosity, what’s his UJWR (unofficial Joffer world ranking)?

ASIDE - just FTR, Woods has played 20 or 21 events in a season 5 times, none since 2005 (also his first four full seasons, 1997-2000.) It would be fair to point out the vast majority of the 683 weeks he held the #1 ranking, it was with the minimum divisor of 40 instead of his actual number of events.

Eager to see how Tiger looks this week...

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/07/14/2019-open-championship-tiger-woods-healthy/

“I wouldn’t rush to put any money on Tiger Woods,” McGinley wrote. “I don’t understand what’s going on with the Masters champion. Since April, he has entered just one tournament outside the majors — the Memorial in late May. That is bizarre. There must be something physically amiss we don’t know about because even in the zenith of his career 20 years ago he couldn’t have expected to contend for the big championships with so few competitive rounds under his belt.”

9 minutes ago, gump said:

Eager to see how Tiger looks this week...

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/07/14/2019-open-championship-tiger-woods-healthy/

“I wouldn’t rush to put any money on Tiger Woods,” McGinley wrote. “I don’t understand what’s going on with the Masters champion. Since April, he has entered just one tournament outside the majors — the Memorial in late May. That is bizarre. There must be something physically amiss we don’t know about because even in the zenith of his career 20 years ago he couldn’t have expected to contend for the big championships with so few competitive rounds under his belt.”

I think he's physically fine or at least as fine as he's going to be. The PGA Tour schedule has been a little strange this season. After the Masters win I can understand the decision to not play until the PGA (where he was sick, only real poor showing of the season). He played in the Memorial to tune up the for US Open. After the US Open what was he going to play in over here? None of those events were tournaments he'd ever play in. You could argue he should have played in Scotland or Ireland these last couple of weeks I guess. Tiger himself admitted he needs to play more. I'm definitely not going to have many (if any) shares of the guy this week but wouldn't be surprised if he played well.

6 minutes ago, Nipsey said:

I think he's physically fine or at least as fine as he's going to be. The PGA Tour schedule has been a little strange this season. After the Masters win I can understand the decision to not play until the PGA (where he was sick, only real poor showing of the season). He played in the Memorial to tune up the for US Open. After the US Open what was he going to play in over here? None of those events were tournaments he'd ever play in. You could argue he should have played in Scotland or Ireland these last couple of weeks I guess. Tiger himself admitted he needs to play more. I'm definitely not going to have many (if any) shares of the guy this week but wouldn't be surprised if he played well.

I agree he looks healthy...but the minimal play really shows. He adjusted his schedule last year to play unplanned events. I hope it is just him pacing himself for year end, maybe starting now.

46 minutes ago, gump said:

I agree he looks healthy...but the minimal play really shows. He adjusted his schedule last year to play unplanned events. I hope it is just him pacing himself for year end, maybe starting now.

I would think this is it more than anything else.  He'll be playing 4 straight weeks in August(assuming he makes the tour championship of course).  That's a lot of golf for an old guy with a bad back. 

Interested to see what he does in October/November to get ready for the President's Cup in December.  Those are usually the months he hibernates from the tour. 

The schedule change for sure doesn't help tiger.  Nobody gives AF about the FedEx cup.  

Whose idea was this?

Anyone watching this Tiger “Chase for 82” special on golf channel?

best golfer the world has ever seen.  You almost forget how this guy absolutely dominated sports for almost a decade.  Brought the golfing world to its knees.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zoonation said:

Anyone watching this Tiger “Chase for 82” special on golf channel?

Nope, watching the Golden Bear Chase for 18.

best golfer the world has ever seen.  You almost forget how this guy absolutely dominated sports for almost a decade.  Brought the golfing world to its knees.  

On 7/19/2019 at 2:36 AM, culdeus said:

The schedule change for sure doesn't help tiger.  Nobody gives AF about the FedEx cup.  

Whose idea was this?

Would sound a bit more prestigious if they called it the FedEx Gold Cup.

Instead the pga has to squeeze every last dollar out of it.  Tacky. 

Zozo in Japan...

+3 after 3

-4 through 14

:lmao: 

Edited by mr roboto
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mr roboto said:

Zozo in Japan...

+3 after 3

-4 through 14

:lmao: 

Finished -6 and in the lead.   Pretty crazy comeback after a terrible start.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, encaitar said:

Finished -6 and in the lead.   Pretty crazy comeback after a terrible start.

Nuts. I watch him pin hunting and making birdies. He looked great. 

• Like 1

• Like 1

Yeah he was throwing darts last night. Good field, so would be a decent win if he keeps it up

Are we almost fired back up again to say that he'll beat Jack's record?  He's back!  No stopping him now!  He won't lose again until he's 90 years old!  :towelwave:

2 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Are we almost fired back up again to say that he'll beat Jack's record?  He's back!  No stopping him now!  He won't lose again until he's 90 years old!  :towelwave:

He’s not winning four more majors.  I’d say one more.  Maybe two.  I think if he is healthy he can contend at Augusta into his 50’s.   Everything changed when Jesus fixed his back.  

Leading by 4 in the 3rd round after draining his birdie putt from about 15 feet at the 10th.   If he wins, he'll be ranked #6 in the world.   

• Like 2

Love the late night live coverage...and the real October tourney.

He looks really good.  If he's hitting shots and more importantly.... putting like this all year, he's gonna win half a dozen tourneys this year.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Not over yet, right?  

7 holes left with a 3 stroke lead.   Tees off in about 10 minutes.

• Like 1

6 foot uphill putt left after sticking his tee shot on the par 3 13th.

Disappointing miss.  Ends up with par.  Lead is 2 going into 14, which he says is the hardest hole on the course.

Edited by -fish-

Just now, -fish- said:

Disappointing miss.  Ends up with par.  Lead is 2 going into 14, which He says is the hardest hole on the course.

He bogied 12 also

Golf channel.  Birdied 14, lead back to 3.

Piped the driver on 15

Iron to 8 feet.   

• Like 1