What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sharkpool Mock Draft... (1 Viewer)

For my last picks I need to go D and WR.

14.10 Def- New England

15.01 WR Miles Austin-Dal

I struggled with the WR pick as I like about 5 of them. I will talk about them later.

Austin has some upside. He is #3 but battling to move up. (I don't know current reports however)

Manning, Manning (I like it)

ADP, PThomas, JStewart, Mendenhall, CTaylor (love it)

Wayne, Cotchery, Hester, Crabtree, Austin (stupidly went Cotchery over DJackson after the Owens blunder. Things would have been different if SHolmes had made it past Black that round)

Witten (Like it)

Gostkowski

New England

Overall I think I can contend. I would be trading early to solidify WR#2. As I said before I probably would leave either my K or Def for a pick up later and carry an extra WR.

Overall I feel this team could compete with any other team in this mock. I stated earlier that i only play in one league and it is a dynasty keeper league, salary cap IDP. I haven't "drafted" a team from scratch since 1998, so this was fun. Thanks for having me
Looks like you aren't out of practice for re-draft. It's a very good team here. What does your dynasty team look like (and basic rules?)
don't want to hijack the thread, but here is the link to the rosters in my league... http://football18.myfantasyleague.com/2009...=25205&O=07My team is Ratso Rizzo and looks like this:

Brees, Drew NOS QB - $16

Arrington, J.J. DEN RB $20

Benson, Cedric CIN RB - $10

Charles, Jamaal KCC RB - $10

Jackson, Brandon GBP RB - $10

Johnson, Larry KCC RB - $2

Mendenhall, Rashard PIT RB $28

Rice, Ray BAL RB - $10

Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB - $19

Edwards, Braylon CLE WR - $23

Jackson, DeSean PHI WR - $11

Moore, Lance NOS WR (P) - $10

Owens, Terrell BUF WR - $13

Davis, Vernon SFO TE - $13

Winslow, Kellen TBB TE - $3

Howard, Thomas OAK LB - $1

Witherspoon, Will STL LB - $3

=============

Keep in mind we can only keep up to 12 of the possible 20 man roster ($220 salary cap). We can keep a guy forever. It is a start 1QB 1RB 2WR 1 O FLEX 1 TE 1PK 1DL 1LB 1DB AND 1DFlex

It is a heavy PPR and TD's are the same for QB's and get bonuses for distance. It's an odd scoring system, but we love it.

I have the many of the league's overall records if you care to look at the history page.

I make many trades every season, so my roster always evolves. My plan is to cut Brandon Jax, JJ Arrington, Howard and witherspoon and Lance Moore (maybe VD instead). I also am hoping to trade some guys for a WR upgrade (like Braylon Rice and mendenhall for someone like Marshall or colston).

Anyway, that's that.

For my last picks I need to go D and WR.

14.10 Def- New England

15.01 WR Miles Austin-Dal
I was about to take NE...probably should have then taking Jennings, who is probably going to go under the radar with MJD in front of him (but a good handcuff for MJD, i think).15.02 CHI DEF...yeah yeah, I know. Getting old, finished around 11th last year...but, well, we'll see.

Kaeding at K. I'm done.

I would roll with my roster into the league and love my chances. Obviously, injuries are the thing to avoid (Somebody posted "if this team loses McNabb, SJax and Jones loses carries it could be in trouble..." Really? If any team loses its QB, RB1, and RB3 and it might be in trouble. I don't predict injuries, and Jones looks good for 2009.) If healthy, this team is solid top to bottom.

QB: McNabb............Elite O-line and a bevy of weapons. Top 5.

RB:Sjax, Slaton...........The duo I targeted with the ppr requirements. Have Slaton #6 overall. Gets ALL the touches at RB in HOU

WR: Jennings, Edwards, Roy...........Jennings is a legit #1WR. Edwards and Roy should be top 20-30 WR based on targets and opportunity. For the 4th/7th price tag they provide a good duo. Potential for huge seasons out of all three. If my WR3 busts, and he cost me a 7th, this is my only downside. But my depth, working trades (and waivers) cover this poential flaw.

TE: Winslow...............absolute monster in TB. Should get a lot of targets. Bucs new coaching invested heavily in him for a reason

K: Kaeding

DST: Minnesota...............very solid unit. Sacks, turnovers, and Harvin returning kicks?

Good depth------- T. Jones, Driver, Rice, C. Henry, Keller, Edwards.

Best Value - Slaton at 2.08. In PPR impossible not to have him ranked top 10 based on touches and role

Biggest reach of the draft: Pierre Thomas at the 4/5 turn. Sheesh. A few good games last year and all offseason people talking Pierre Thomas up. "He started over Mendenhall. He will take over for McAllister and when Bush gets hurt...he's the SOD." Thomas has a good situation in a high powered offense. What his role in it is, that's debatable. I would not touch him before the 6th/7th. He is closer to the the #30 overall RB on my rankings than #20 that he will be drafted at or before. Comparable production can be had out of Thomas Jones, Ward or Grant - guys taken almost TWO ROUNDS after him.

Best Value - Witten at the 4/5 turn. Best TE in FFL, by far, and looking potential to garner oodles more targets. Gates, Clark and Gonzo went within the next 12 picks, and Witten towers over these "peers"

Last edited by a moderator:
You are over-estimating him.

Adding in pre-season numbers? David Clowney was awesome in preseason the last two years. Where is he being drafted in your leagues?

Preseason numbers and spot work - when he's fresh - don't add up to a "full season." take all those 8 carry days and week 2 preseason against the Bengals stats. They mean little. If he gets 200 touches you will see a serious drop.

Saints tried to move up and grab Beanie Wells - I will not be surprised if they bring in someone else to get RB touches. For the same reasons they "didn't hand over the chores" until everyone else was hurt.

PT = Average back in an RBBC. It's a PPR league, and he's not even the primary pass catching back in the RBBC. The 4/5 turn in a 10 teamer? Hard to see him justifying that.

I'm assuming things go right for Pierre, and he gets 1100 total yards and 30 catches, maybe 8 TD. That's 173 points. Round 6 RBs like Ward, Grant, and Jones should all be comparable.

It is hard to find a more hyped - or overinflated player - than PT this offseason. I mean, did you see what he did in the preseason in 2007? It's like urban legend.

"Saints tried to move up and grab Beanie Wells - I will not be surprised if they bring in someone else to get RB touches. For the same reasons they "didn't hand over the chores" until everyone else was hurt. "

Did they actually try? I read they would have tried if he got to the second round. Many teams might have done that.

I understand that those other RBs have value but many would argue if either one ranks ahead of Pierre, even you might not rank them higher. Remember I was at the turn and really couldn't think anyone would be there at my next pick.

I'm not getting defensive because I picked him, I own him in my main keeper and I am psyched for him to prove my genius, so to speak.

"Saints tried to move up and grab Beanie Wells - I will not be surprised if they bring in someone else to get RB touches. For the same reasons they "didn't hand over the chores" until everyone else was hurt. "Did they actually try? I read they would have tried if he got to the second round. Many teams might have done that.I understand that those other RBs have value but many would argue if either one ranks ahead of Pierre, even you might not rank them higher. Remember I was at the turn and really couldn't think anyone would be there at my next pick.I'm not getting defensive because I picked him, I own him in my main keeper and I am psyched for him to prove my genius, so to speak.
Per PFT they tried repeatedly to move into the end of the first to grab Beanie. Not a vote of confidence.

Choke said:
You are over-estimating him.Adding in pre-season numbers? David Clowney was awesome in preseason the last two years. Where is he being drafted in your leagues? Preseason numbers and spot work - when he's fresh - don't add up to a "full season." take all those 8 carry days and week 2 preseason against the Bengals stats. They mean little. If he gets 200 touches you will see a serious drop. Saints tried to move up and grab Beanie Wells - I will not be surprised if they bring in someone else to get RB touches. For the same reasons they "didn't hand over the chores" until everyone else was hurt. PT = Average back in an RBBC. It's a PPR league, and he's not even the primary pass catching back in the RBBC. The 4/5 turn in a 10 teamer? Hard to see him justifying that. I'm assuming things go right for Pierre, and he gets 1100 total yards and 30 catches, maybe 8 TD. That's 173 points. Round 6 RBs like Ward, Grant, and Jones should all be comparable.It is hard to find a more hyped - or overinflated player - than PT this offseason. I mean, did you see what he did in the preseason in 2007? It's like urban legend.
It just shows a consistency to his work. He keeps producing at a high level at every opportunity.Now he will have a bigger role... there is no reason to expect him to falter or come up short of his own levels.If "things go right", Bush will be limited once again by health issues and Thomas will turn his 4.8 average loose on 260 carries and all the goalline work for the Saints. Let alone receiving.
No, it shows he looked good in training camp and the pre-season. If he gets 260 touches - and that's a huge if - he will probably see a drop in his 4.8 average he accumulated in a handful of starts and regular spot duty the first half of the year. NO brought in PJ Hill and Mike Bell to fight for short yardage duties. (FBG blogger) So I would not bank on goalline, and obviously, Bush is the pass catching back. Pierre is a between the 20's guy, an RBBC guy, a potentially good guy. I like PT. I have him as a 6-7 round value. To exceed that, he will need an injury to Bush. I'm not picking anyone in the 4th/5th rounds that I am depending on an injury for him to succeed. He also will have to fight off contenders for GL work. And to extrapolate pre-season and spot duty is worrisome.

"Saints tried to move up and grab Beanie Wells - I will not be surprised if they bring in someone else to get RB touches. For the same reasons they "didn't hand over the chores" until everyone else was hurt. "Did they actually try? I read they would have tried if he got to the second round. Many teams might have done that.I understand that those other RBs have value but many would argue if either one ranks ahead of Pierre, even you might not rank them higher. Remember I was at the turn and really couldn't think anyone would be there at my next pick.I'm not getting defensive because I picked him, I own him in my main keeper and I am psyched for him to prove my genius, so to speak.
Per PFT they tried repeatedly to move into the end of the first to grab Beanie. Not a vote of confidence.
Link?

"Saints tried to move up and grab Beanie Wells - I will not be surprised if they bring in someone else to get RB touches. For the same reasons they "didn't hand over the chores" until everyone else was hurt. "

Did they actually try? I read they would have tried if he got to the second round. Many teams might have done that.

I understand that those other RBs have value but many would argue if either one ranks ahead of Pierre, even you might not rank them higher. Remember I was at the turn and really couldn't think anyone would be there at my next pick.

I'm not getting defensive because I picked him, I own him in my main keeper and I am psyched for him to prove my genius, so to speak.
Link?
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/25/...-to-get-beanie/

Link?
Nice link! But do you think they would have done the same for Crabtree? I do. I believe this has nothing to do with PThomas skills or lack there of. It has to do with Beanie slipping too far on their draft board. They undoubtedly would carry more RBs than Bush and Thomas.In the end we have PThomas, Bush, Bell, Evens and... am I missing anyone? That to me looks like a good gamble for at least the strong part of a RBBC. I AM drinking the PThomas kool aid.

Link?
Nice link! But do you think they would have done the same for Crabtree? I do. I believe this has nothing to do with PThomas skills or lack there of. It has to do with Beanie slipping too far on their draft board. They undoubtedly would carry more RBs than Bush and Thomas.In the end we have PThomas, Bush, Bell, Evens and... am I missing anyone? That to me looks like a good gamble for at least the strong part of a RBBC. I AM drinking the PThomas kool aid.
I think there is definitely some merit to that. I wasn't really a part of the argument until I posted the link but I am leaning toward Thomas being a decent RB2 in this format. It seems he will be the guy just based on the fact that Bush is coming back from a knee injury and the lack of competition. The fact that he's playing the Saints' offense makes him that much more appealing. He's definitely a guy to keep an eye on.

Sorry for not replying for a few days guys but I've been super busy the last week. Wife and I just entered escrow to buy our first house so it's been a bit of a whirlwind.

First off, thanks to each of you for such enthusiastic participation. I really enjoyed doing this draft and would love to do it again next year if you guys are game again.

Secondly, I don't hate my team as much as you guys seem to. The biggest problem I have with it is questionable durability for Palmer, LT, Bush. I love my WRs (higher on TO than most) and I am quietly high on the Ravens offense - their OLine is just sick with Gaither, Grubbs, Birk, Yanda and Oher.

I love the Pitt D and I think Tony G still has a lot left in the tank and will be a huge safety valve for Ryan.

My biggest regret is not getting Sproles and Mendenhall as handcuffs and ideally a safer QB than Palmer but overall I'm not too upset. The 10 spot is not easy as you continually have to either take the value guy that fell (usually for a reason - LT, Bush, etc) or reach for a guy b/c he won't last another 18 picks even though he might last another 15 (i.e. Michael Bush, Pierre Thomas, Sproles, etc).

All that said, going through this trial run with a bunch of solid drafters will pay big dividends for me so thanks again to each of you.

BTW, for my last pick I'll take a guy by the name of Generic Kicker. Mr. irrelevant indeed.

I'll take a Kicker on my last pick, too. I think this mock is pretty much over. I am running my team through the FGB Team Rater...pretty interesting.

11.9 Lesean Mccoythis is a what the hell pickLI need a backup QB, two more WR's, one more RB, and a Defense,I am an Eagles Homer, and I know westy is 30 and he has really never been able to play a full season. I expect that to happen again this year, and McCoy should fill in nicely. Backups like this come in handy if you make FF playoffs and the cards fall right.Also, if i were the Westy owner I would not be happy right now. I thought about Charles to handcuff with LJ, but I don't think he's going to be trusted even if LJ goes down...I thought about a guy who had 700 yards and 15 TD's last year too....but in the end I'll grab a rookie
Called it here guys. Now who would be feeling better, the guy that took Westy in round 1, or the guy that grabbed his eventual replacement 10 rounds later. Westy can't stay healthy, enough said.

Users who are viewing this thread