What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UPDATED: Petition for SSL Rules Change - POLL ADDED (1 Viewer)

Should the current SSL clock rules change to facilitate quicker drafts or stay the same?

• The rules should change

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The rules should stay the same

• I do not care one way or the other

• Total voters
A few things I've noticed and a few suggestions:

- If people complain about the draft being slow, it gets slower. Maybe everyone feels like, hey, it's not just me, this thing really is slow. But it happens. Whining doesn't help.

- If people complain that people aren't making picks, it doesn't change anything. But if someone on the far end of the draft offers to accept PMs for the next few hours, it happens.

- I'd bet a big reason people near the ends don't PM is because they're worried that someone's going to steal "their guy". So if you're going to PM your picks to someone, PM the person who picked right before you this round, because they'll pick right after you next round. And if you want to speed things up, tell them to send you a list for their next pick, so they don't forget.

- If you're the 15th or 16th pick and you're going to be around for a bit to make your pick, say so. That way the person with the 14th pick knows they'll be right back up again.

- Don't worry about clogging up the draft threads with extraneous posts. Guys with iPhones can suck it up. Keep the picks moving and feel free to make commentary along with it.

- Stop putting picks in team colors. If everybody bolds their picks, nobody puts anything else in bold in the thread, and the drafters with mod powers update the occasional posts that didn't follow the standards, it will be easier to find guys.

- Stop putting nicknames in the first post. Don't put "ADP" instead of Adrian Peterson, and don't put Chris Wells or Beanie Wells - put Chris "Beanie" Wells.

- Similarly, when you're searching for your guy, assume that the guy writing the first post may have made a typo. So search for Chris, Beanie, and Wells. Or when searching for Laveaneus Coles, search for "Lav" and "Coles", NOT "Laveraneus". The chances that someone (like me) screwed up typing his name are way too high.

Those things will go a long way towards improving these drafts and don't require any rule changes.

Jeff Pasquino said:
Shadowfax said:
I see no reason to change anything. These draft have been flowing just fine for 5 years now. Everyone knows what they are getting into. While I agree that people could be more considerate at times, but hey real life gets in the way. I have no problem with anyone using their whole clock every pick. Sure it can be anoying when you ready top pick but really, whats the big deal? Send your list if you need to head out. Seriously, whats the huge rush?
It's not necessarily the rush that's the problem but people tend to lose interest in a very slow draft with only a couple picks per day. You say you're ok with people using their whole clock every pick? That would mean about 2 picks per day or a draft that would take almost 5 months to complete. How much interest would you have in that draft?I really don't see a huge problem with the way things are. Most of these drafts take about 3 weeks to complete. Some are faster. Some are slower. Below are the number of days each draft has taken this year.SSL 1 - 20 daysSSL 2 - 22 daysSSL 3 - 26 daysSSL 4 - 18 daysSSL average - 21.5 days or 1.19 rounds per dayPDSL 1 - 17 daysPDSL 2 - 25 daysPDSL 3 - 21 daysPDSL 4 - 21 daysPDSL average - 21 days or 1.05 rounds per dayWSL 1 - 25 daysWSL 2 - 31 daysWSL 3 - 31 daysWSL 4 - 23 daysWSL average - 27.5 days or 1.38 rounds per dayIs everyone's panties in such a bunch because 1 or 2 drafts (4-8 months before the season starts) take a couple extra days to finish? It's not that big a deal.
Good stats but I think your division is a bit off.
How so? It's quite possible because I suck at math.

bostonfred said:
A few things I've noticed and a few suggestions:

- If people complain about the draft being slow, it gets slower. Maybe everyone feels like, hey, it's not just me, this thing really is slow. But it happens. Whining doesn't help.

- If people complain that people aren't making picks, it doesn't change anything. But if someone on the far end of the draft offers to accept PMs for the next few hours, it happens.

- I'd bet a big reason people near the ends don't PM is because they're worried that someone's going to steal "their guy". So if you're going to PM your picks to someone, PM the person who picked right before you this round, because they'll pick right after you next round. And if you want to speed things up, tell them to send you a list for their next pick, so they don't forget.

- If you're the 15th or 16th pick and you're going to be around for a bit to make your pick, say so. That way the person with the 14th pick knows they'll be right back up again.

- Don't worry about clogging up the draft threads with extraneous posts. Guys with iPhones can suck it up. Keep the picks moving and feel free to make commentary along with it.

- Stop putting picks in team colors. If everybody bolds their picks, nobody puts anything else in bold in the thread, and the drafters with mod powers update the occasional posts that didn't follow the standards, it will be easier to find guys.

- Stop putting nicknames in the first post. Don't put "ADP" instead of Adrian Peterson, and don't put Chris Wells or Beanie Wells - put Chris "Beanie" Wells.

- Similarly, when you're searching for your guy, assume that the guy writing the first post may have made a typo. So search for Chris, Beanie, and Wells. Or when searching for Laveaneus Coles, search for "Lav" and "Coles", NOT "Laveraneus". The chances that someone (like me) screwed up typing his name are way too high.

Those things will go a long way towards improving these drafts and don't require any rule changes.
along these lines i do appreciate that you kept track of ssl3 but the fact that you had all of the other rounds in post2 was a pain for mei view the board in linear which allows me to see post 1 at the top no matter what page of the thread im on

i would forget that not all prev rounds were in post 1, search for a player not find him and think i was getting a steal then remember later to go back to page 1 and do another find

cliffnotes: whoevers keeping track please put all picks in post 1.

along these lines i do appreciate that you kept track of ssl3 but the fact that you had all of the other rounds in post2 was a pain for me

i view the board in linear which allows me to see post 1 at the top no matter what page of the thread im on

i would forget that not all prev rounds were in post 1, search for a player not find him and think i was getting a steal then remember later to go back to page 1 and do another find

I had no idea that's what linear mode did. I've never used it. I'd be happy to do that next time though.

along these lines i do appreciate that you kept track of ssl3 but the fact that you had all of the other rounds in post2 was a pain for me

i view the board in linear which allows me to see post 1 at the top no matter what page of the thread im on

I had no idea that's what linear mode did. I've never used it. I'd be happy to do that next time though.
As will I...but I'm not sure that works in the WSL/PDSL. Pretty sure that there's a limit on post size that prevents a 20 round draft from being presented in one post.

Jeff Pasquino said:
Shadowfax said:
I see no reason to change anything. These draft have been flowing just fine for 5 years now. Everyone knows what they are getting into. While I agree that people could be more considerate at times, but hey real life gets in the way. I have no problem with anyone using their whole clock every pick. Sure it can be anoying when you ready top pick but really, whats the big deal? Send your list if you need to head out. Seriously, whats the huge rush?
It's not necessarily the rush that's the problem but people tend to lose interest in a very slow draft with only a couple picks per day. You say you're ok with people using their whole clock every pick? That would mean about 2 picks per day or a draft that would take almost 5 months to complete. How much interest would you have in that draft?I really don't see a huge problem with the way things are. Most of these drafts take about 3 weeks to complete. Some are faster. Some are slower. Below are the number of days each draft has taken this year.SSL 1 - 20 daysSSL 2 - 22 daysSSL 3 - 26 daysSSL 4 - 18 daysSSL average - 21.5 days or 1.19 rounds per dayPDSL 1 - 17 daysPDSL 2 - 25 daysPDSL 3 - 21 daysPDSL 4 - 21 daysPDSL average - 21 days or 1.05 rounds per dayWSL 1 - 25 daysWSL 2 - 31 daysWSL 3 - 31 daysWSL 4 - 23 daysWSL average - 27.5 days or 1.38 rounds per dayIs everyone's panties in such a bunch because 1 or 2 drafts (4-8 months before the season starts) take a couple extra days to finish? It's not that big a deal.
I think your math is fine...I don't know what he is talking about either.

Jeff Pasquino said:
Shadowfax said:
It's not necessarily the rush that's the problem but people tend to lose interest in a very slow draft with only a couple picks per day. You say you're ok with people using their whole clock every pick? That would mean about 2 picks per day or a draft that would take almost 5 months to complete. How much interest would you have in that draft?I really don't see a huge problem with the way things are. Most of these drafts take about 3 weeks to complete. Some are faster. Some are slower. Below are the number of days each draft has taken this year.

SSL 1 - 20 days

SSL 2 - 22 days

SSL 3 - 26 days

SSL 4 - 18 days

SSL average - 21.5 days or 1.19 rounds per day

PDSL 1 - 17 days

PDSL 2 - 25 days

PDSL 3 - 21 days

PDSL 4 - 21 days

PDSL average - 21 days or 1.05 rounds per day

WSL 1 - 25 days

WSL 2 - 31 days

WSL 3 - 31 days

WSL 4 - 23 days

WSL average - 27.5 days or 1.38 rounds per day

Is everyone's panties in such a bunch because 1 or 2 drafts (4-8 months before the season starts) take a couple extra days to finish? It's not that big a deal.
I think your math is fine...I don't know what he is talking about either.
Should be days per round, not rounds per day (20 or 18/21 to 27 would be under 1 round per day). Still and all 3 weeks seems about right.

ditto. I think I've set some up that way too. (still not sure what "linear mode" is but that's nothing that I need to know I reckon!!)good notes on your last post too fred.

ditto. I think I've set some up that way too. (still not sure what "linear mode" is but that's nothing that I need to know I reckon!!)good notes on your last post too fred.
WHOA!!!!You're missing out... Go to the upper right of the screen under options and click it now... In many threads you need to see the OP on top for reference...

No wonder you took a little more time making picks in that last draft!!!! :goodposting:

WHOA!!!!You're missing out... Go to the upper right of the screen under options and click it now... In many threads you need to see the OP on top for reference...

No wonder you took a little more time making picks in that last draft!!!! :homer:
That's pretty cool! dunno where else it would help but could sure see where it works for these mocks. What might also help then is if the top rounds always had the hyperlinks in them....

oh, and.....pthpthpthpthpthpthppppp!! Especially considering the slow startup--nothing was faster than that PDSL1!! :lol:

No wonder you took a little more time making picks in that last draft!!!! :thumbup:
That's pretty cool! dunno where else it would help but could sure see where it works for these mocks. What might also help then is if the top rounds always had the hyperlinks in them....

oh, and.....pthpthpthpthpthpthppppp!! Especially considering the slow startup--nothing was faster than that PDSL1!! :excited:
:blackdot:

71 votes have been cast, which tells me that we really care about these drafts. It appears that we may be dead even as to changing vs. not changing the rules. However, if 11 people are not committed, what does that mean? Are the 11 votes swing votes or could you attribute them all to one side or the other?Does the fact that we are dead even mean that we are at square 1 or can we contemplate taking a baby step and making a minor change that is mutally acceptable to both sides?If a change is made, major or minor, it could be drafted with a sunset clause that would be a compromise to people against the change. A sunset clause expressly states a date where the change would end and the rules would revert back to the original rules. For example, for the 2010 SSL draft, the clock will be shortened to 1 hour and after the 2010 SSL draft, the clock rules will revert back to the original clock rules. The rule change could always be extended later if people wish. The point of the sunset clause is that people who disfavor a change are not stuck with a permanent change out of the gate without a chance to see how a change would work in practice.
I think the closeness of the vote tells us that if we do make a change, the change should be small. Maybe we change the clock to 7 hours instead of 8, maybe we adjust the overnight clock by 1 hour....small changes...nothing major.
LHUCKS, you and I seem to think alike on this issue. Given how close the vote is, if there is a change, it should be minor. I am leaving for the Carribean tomorrow for a week and I'll check in on this discussion mid-June.

LHUCKS, you and I seem to think alike on this issue. Given how close the vote is, if there is a change, it should be minor. I am leaving for the Carribean tomorrow for a week and I'll check in on this discussion mid-June.
Let me get this straight - you started this discussion when you knew you weren't going to be available the whole time? Now this thread is going to drag out for weeks before you time out.

Let me get this straight - you started this discussion when you knew you weren't going to be available the whole time? Now this thread is going to drag out for weeks before you time out.
:hifive: It appears that from the poll results and the responses, that the community is not inclined to change the rules at this time. However, pending the developments of future drafts, I may bump this thread and/or create a similar poll and discussion in the future. One thing this thread has shown is how much we care about these drafts. It makes me feel good about what we are doing even though I still feel like we have conceded to the status quo by not implementing a rule change.

Users who are viewing this thread