Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

noleinfrance

1st time rookie draft/2nd year dynasty

This is a 16 team full PPR/IDP(Tackle Heavy). 53 man roster (currently cut to 45 before the draft).

Line up requirements:

1 QB, 2-3 rb, 3-4wr, 1-2 TE, (total of 9)

1-2 DT, 1-2 DE, 3 LB, 1-2 CB, 1-2 S (total of 9)

I know the roster has a lot of holes. I have the 1st pick in the rookie draft (all first picks in each round). I am planning on Moreneo to start off. After that I was thinking of QB if either Stafford or Sanchez is there or maybe one of the TE (big position of need). I was thinking D in rounds three and four. If Everette Brown fell to 3.1, for exapmple. My DE and DT positions are pretty horrible. I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY THOUGHTS OR INPUT TO HELP MAKE THIS TEAM BETTER THROUGHT THE ROOKIE DRAFT. When you take D palyers for example. Suggestions about the roster, etc... Thanks in advance for all help.

My current roster is:

QB

David Garrard

Luke McCown

Sage Rosenfels

RB

Warrick Dunn

Earnest Graham

Jerome Harrison

Peyon Hillis

Brandon Jacobs

Jerious Norwood

Mike Tolbert

Garret Wolfe

WR

Jerricho Cotchery

Harry Douglas

Pierre Garcon

Sinorice Moss

Reggie Wayne

Roddy White

TE

Heath Miller

DT

Derek Landri

Mike Patterson

Mike Wright

DE

Andrea Carter

Marquis Douglas

Kendal Langford

Trevor Scott

LB

H.B. Blades

Brandon Chillar

Channing Crowder

Angelo Crowell

Tim Dobbins

Jonathan Goff

Rashad Jeanty

D.D. Lewis

Matt Roth

Lofa Tatupu

Zach Thomas

Philip Wheeler

CB

Corey Graham

Brandon McDonald

Charles Tillman

Corey Webster

Antoine Winfield

S

Kerry Rhodes

Madieu Williams

In general, unless you're contending immediately and have a chance at an impact player at a position of need, you should be targeting the best player available with every draft pick regardless of need. BPA takes into account talent, long term upside, positional scarcity, chance that a slightly better player will fall to your next pick, etc.

There's no question that Moreno is the 1.01 pick. After that, I'd strongly argue BPA with your current roster.

DT

Derek Landri

Mike Patterson

Mike Wright

Mike Patterson is a solid player, but an inconsistent DT1. I'm not sure either Landri or Wright will ever be top 20 DTs in the long term. An upgrade here would be nice, but there's enough turnover at this position to stay on the lookout for upside and sleepers in free agency.

DE

Andrea Carter

Marquis Douglas

Kendal Langford

Trevor Scott

I think there's some rebound potential for Carter this season. If you're not a surprise contender by midseason, he'd be a candidate to flip for better future parts if he does rebound. Douglas is a rotational guy on the downside of his career. Langford and Scott flash potential, but it's doubtful that either become more than marginal bye week starters. Upgrades here are a priority.

LB

H.B. Blades

Brandon Chillar

Channing Crowder

Angelo Crowell

Tim Dobbins

Jonathan Goff

Rashad Jeanty

D.D. Lewis

Matt Roth

Lofa Tatupu

Zach Thomas

Philip Wheeler

Chillar, Dobbins, Jeanty, Lewis are marginal rosters at best. Blades, Goff and Wheeler have a little potential but are still longshots. Thomas may never have startable value again. Crowell and Roth are back end rosters with good bye week value. That leaves Tatupu, who's a solid LB2 and Crowder, who should still hold LB2 value this season, but will be at risk of losing value if the Dolphins ever fill the WILB spot with talent. You'll need to churn the back of this roster whenever the opportunity presents itself.

CB

Corey Graham

Brandon McDonald

Charles Tillman

Corey Webster

Antoine Winfield

Graham is being moved to safety, but this is a position of strength. I'd hold Tillman and Winfield; they'll still be productive if you can work yourself into a contending position by next season. Webster and McDonald are solid depth. Webster is a top 25 corner and could start in a pinch. McDonald may be at risk of losing a job in the long term.

S

Kerry Rhodes

Madieu Williams

If Graham works out, this should be a solid group, too.

Moreno at 1.01 is a no-brainer.

For 2.01 I prefer a LB to a TE if one of the big names is there, and the QB's you want are gone, like I expect they will be. You have Miller at TE, who's solid, and I completely disagree that it's a position of need. You can throw a blanket over this year's TE's, and pick from a number of options. LB is thinner, and you can posibly nab an impact player there.

You need to eliminate some LB spots, not just churn through them. Add more young WRs in the draft, even though that's your strongest position. You can always trade a WR for an IDP.

I'd also consider trading down from that 2.1 spot to later in the 2nd, if you're going to use it on IDPs.

And grab Moreno. II'd solicit offers for the pick, as some owners get carried away with rookie potential, and offer far too much.

I started looking at a bunch of IDP drafts that were linked on the FBG forum and came up with a list of players who could/should be available to get an idea what will be there. I made a list of the players that were available in one or more drafts already this year between picks 13 and 17 ( I thought that would give me a good window to see what might be there). THese are the guys that I came up with. All of them have been there at 17 in actual posted drafts on the IDP forum. Thoughts?

Mark Stafford-DET, QB

Mark Sanchez-NYJ, QB

Josh Freeman –TB, QB

Brian Robiskie CLE, WR

Darrius Heyward-Bey-OAK, WR

Kenney Britt-TE, WR

Mike Thomas-Jax, WR

Juaquin Iglesias-CHI, WR

Jarrett Dillard-JAX, WR

Jared Cook-TEN, TE

Brandon Pettigrew-DET, TE

Andre Brown-NYG, RB

Glenn Coffee-SF, RB

James LaurenitisSTL, ILB

Ray Malaluga-CIN, ILB

Aaron Curry- SEA, OLB

I started looking at a bunch of IDP drafts that were linked on the FBG forum and came up with a list of players who could/should be available to get an idea what will be there. I made a list of the players that were available in one or more drafts already this year between picks 13 and 17 ( I thought that would give me a good window to see what might be there). THese are the guys that I came up with. All of them have been there at 17 in actual posted drafts on the IDP forum. Thoughts?

Mark Stafford-DET, QB

Mark Sanchez-NYJ, QB

Josh Freeman –TB, QB

Brian Robiskie CLE, WR

Kenney Britt-TE, WR

Mike Thomas-Jax, WR

Juaquin Iglesias-CHI, WR

Jarrett Dillard-JAX, WR

Jared Cook-TEN, TE

Andre Brown-NYG, RB

Glenn Coffee-SF, RB

James LaurenitisSTL, ILB

Ray Malaluga-CIN, ILB

Aaron Curry- SEA, OLB

Could prob divide that list in two or three tiers and rank each tier. Something like:

Tier 1

Mark Sanchez-NYJ, QB (Both QB's will be starters by next season, so just depends who you like more)

Mark Stafford-DET, QB

Kenny Britt-TEN, WR

Brian Robiskie CLE, WR (see him being used like Stokeley or Curtis)

James Laurainitis-STL, ILB (all 3 LB's are pretty even for now, I like the 2 ILB's better than a SAM OLB)

Ray Malaluga-CIN, ILB

Aaron Curry- SEA, OLB

Darrius Heyward-Bey-OAK, WR (just don't like his situation in Oakland)

Tier 2

Josh Freeman –TB, QB

Jarrett Dillard-JAX, WR (I like him better than Mike Thomas)

Andre Brown - NYG, RB (crowded backfield)

Mike Thomas-Jax, WR

Juaquin Iglesias-CHI, WR (fighting with Knox for playing time)

Jared Cook-TEN, TE

Glenn Coffee-SF, RB

Pretty good chance that one of the Tier one guys is available at the 2.01 and they will all be gone by 3.01. I would rank each tier for yourself as far as BPA and draft by your rankings.

I divided them up and ranked them how I like each player, but I'm sure many more knowledgable people will rank them differently. In a 16-team league, QB prob has more positional value, but all depends on your scoring. Good chance a few of the tier 2 guys are available at 3.01 and you could expand that to include a few top-rated DE's.

I think Laurenitis is the most likely player to start for you this year, and he should outproduce the other two LBs in the short run. The QBs might be the best picks as far as long term value is concerned, although Heyward-Bey could turn into a stud. Robiskie could start this year for Cleveland and put up decent points, and although you don't need him, and he's unlikely to be a long term stud, you could trade him for a player you need.

Mark Stafford-DET, QB

Mark Sanchez-NYJ, QB

Josh Freeman –TB, QB

Brian Robiskie CLE, WR

Kenney Britt-TE, WR

Mike Thomas-Jax, WR

Juaquin Iglesias-CHI, WR

Jarrett Dillard-JAX, WR

Jared Cook-TEN, TE

Andre Brown-NYG, RB

Glenn Coffee-SF, RB

James LaurenitisSTL, ILB

Ray Malaluga-CIN, ILB

Aaron Curry- SEA, OLB

Could prob divide that list in two or three tiers and rank each tier. Something like:

Tier 1

Mark Sanchez-NYJ, QB (Both QB's will be starters by next season, so just depends who you like more)

Mark Stafford-DET, QB

Kenny Britt-TEN, WR

Brian Robiskie CLE, WR (see him being used like Stokeley or Curtis)

James Laurainitis-STL, ILB (all 3 LB's are pretty even for now, I like the 2 ILB's better than a SAM OLB)

Ray Malaluga-CIN, ILB

Aaron Curry- SEA, OLB

Darrius Heyward-Bey-OAK, WR (just don't like his situation in Oakland)

Tier 2

Josh Freeman –TB, QB

Jarrett Dillard-JAX, WR (I like him better than Mike Thomas)

Andre Brown - NYG, RB (crowded backfield)

Mike Thomas-Jax, WR

Juaquin Iglesias-CHI, WR (fighting with Knox for playing time)

Jared Cook-TEN, TE

Glenn Coffee-SF, RB

Pretty good chance that one of the Tier one guys is available at the 2.01 and they will all be gone by 3.01. I would rank each tier for yourself as far as BPA and draft by your rankings.

I divided them up and ranked them how I like each player, but I'm sure many more knowledgable people will rank them differently. In a 16-team league, QB prob has more positional value, but all depends on your scoring. Good chance a few of the tier 2 guys are available at 3.01 and you could expand that to include a few top-rated DE's.

Those are pretty good tiers. I am sure that Stafford will be gone and probably Sanchez. I will have a decision to make if he's still there. The two ILBs look like my best bet at 2.1, especially with my thin LB core. I would wait and take Freeman at 3.1 if I thought he would be there, bu I don't see it happening. I like Dillard a lot a in the 3rd, but I woud love to get Everette Brown (partly because I am such an FSU homer)and I am trying to figure out if he's worth a 3.1 or if he might be around at 4.1. I need an upgrade at DE and would love to get a solid DE in a 4-3 system. Just not sure where to look to take a DE in a rookie draft.

I ended up getting Brown at the 3.12 spot in a 12-team draft. So, he prob won't make it to the 4.01 in a 16-team draft.

OK, here's a question. Should I be looking at Freeman with the 2.1 if Sanchez is gone. I don't need him to play right away. How owuld you gage his worth against the two ILBs? Is the conventional wsidom that he's gonna be good in time?

OK, here's a question. Should I be looking at Freeman with the 2.1 if Sanchez is gone. I don't need him to play right away. How owuld you gage his worth against the two ILBs? Is the conventional wsidom that he's gonna be good in time?

I think the probability that Freeman provides a sizable relative advantage as a starter is much less than either Laurinaitis or Maualuga. If quarterbacks are scarce enough in your league that the slimmer chance of hitting is worth the risk, then I'd consider Freeman. He'll be a reach at that pick.

Thanks Jene. That's what I thought as well. As for QB's being scarce, II don't know thta they are anymore scare than they afe in any other 16 team league. I think Garrard is an OK option at QB, at least for this year, but I probably only have one viable QB rostered, since I think Farve will be a Viking and I think Freeman will be starting sooner rather than later. So I was just tryng to look for toward the future. I am actually pretty comfortable with DG as my starting AB this year because he looks to improve over last year and even then he qas the thenth overall QB in our league.

Would you feel like Sanchez would offer a better shot at providing " a sizable relative advantage as a starter"? I am inclinded to still go with one of the ILB's, but if he's there at 17, Sanchez would be tempting. What do yo think?

Thanks Jene. That's what I thought as well. As for QB's being scarce, II don't know thta they are anymore scare than they afe in any other 16 team league. I think Garrard is an OK option at QB, at least for this year, but I probably only have one viable QB rostered, since I think Farve will be a Viking and I think Freeman will be starting sooner rather than later. So I was just tryng to look for toward the future. I am actually pretty comfortable with DG as my starting AB this year because he looks to improve over last year and even then he qas the thenth overall QB in our league. Would you feel like Sanchez would offer a better shot at providing " a sizable relative advantage as a starter"? I am inclinded to still go with one of the ILB's, but if he's there at 17, Sanchez would be tempting. What do yo think?

I think Sanchez has a better chance of succeeding than Freeman. I'd take him over any IDP this year.

Well, we started our draft today. I took Moreno with the 1.1 and I am pretty excited about him. Everything I read looks pretty positive. I still think that Sanchez will be available at 2.1 (#17) and I don't thinnk I could pass him up if he is ( I really want to try to take the BPA-regardless of need), but I would also love to get Maualuga or Laurinaitis. If I don't go LB in the second, who would be the next teir LB's to target? Cushing, Mathews, Sintim, Levey? I feel like I need to try to get a LB somewhere in the draft.

Here's another thought. As I understand it, from a dynasty standpoint, there are more solid QB's coming out next year. While I expect Garrard to have a bounce back year (as does pretty much EVERYBODY on the FBG staff), what's his realistic shelf life?

Well, we started our draft today. I took Moreno with the 1.1 and I am pretty excited about him. Everything I read looks pretty positive. I still think that Sanchez will be available at 2.1 (#17) and I don't thinnk I could pass him up if he is ( I really want to try to take the BPA-regardless of need), but I would also love to get Maualuga or Laurinaitis. If I don't go LB in the second, who would be the next teir LB's to target? Cushing, Mathews, Sintim, Levey? I feel like I need to try to get a LB somewhere in the draft.Here's another thought. As I understand it, from a dynasty standpoint, there are more solid QB's coming out next year. While I expect Garrard to have a bounce back year (as does pretty much EVERYBODY on the FBG staff), what's his realistic shelf life?

I don't think much of any of the second tier linebackers. I think Cushing and Sintim have the best chance of squeezing out LB3 value at some point. Jason Williams may also be a consideration later.If Garrard plays well this season, I don't see any reason why his window wouldn't extend toward 2011.

Well, we started our draft today. I took Moreno with the 1.1 and I am pretty excited about him. Everything I read looks pretty positive. I still think that Sanchez will be available at 2.1 (#17) and I don't thinnk I could pass him up if he is ( I really want to try to take the BPA-regardless of need), but I would also love to get Maualuga or Laurinaitis. If I don't go LB in the second, who would be the next teir LB's to target? Cushing, Mathews, Sintim, Levey? I feel like I need to try to get a LB somewhere in the draft.Here's another thought. As I understand it, from a dynasty standpoint, there are more solid QB's coming out next year. While I expect Garrard to have a bounce back year (as does pretty much EVERYBODY on the FBG staff), what's his realistic shelf life?

Just going by the Jag's moves and the reports around Jacksonville so far, I think Garrard should have a much improved season over last year and would really have to play poorly to get pulled. O-line is healthy and a couple of early round rookie OT's and a solid veteran OT added to the mix. IMO just about anyone would be an upgrade over Khalif Barnes. So, Garrard should actually have time to go through his reads w/o having to run for his life. Jags also released Cleo Lemon, so that leaves Bouman, Boeckman, and Paul Smith backing him up and I assume Bouman will get the #2 spot and is not going to threaten Garrard's starter status anytime soon.I think worst case is that Garrard has another down year but is still a serviceable fantasy starter and the Jags look at one of next year's crop of rookie QB's. Best case is that Holt and the handful of young wr's give the Jags some legitimate receiving options and the passing game improves.

Ok, first round is nearly done. Not a timed draft. I don't have to make any decisions about Sanchez, which in a way, is good for me. The first round has gone largely as scripted. I imagine that at least one of the LBs and maybe two will go before me and I will get one of the three. The general vibe I get from reading is that any of these would be good picks and I'm not sure which of James Laurainitis, Ray Malaluga, or Aaron Curry I like better long term, but I will avoid Curry Just beacause the other good LB that I have is Tatapu. We'll see who's left there.

ME-Moreno, Knowshon DEN RB ®

1.02 Crabtree, Michael SFO WR ® 4:41:25 p.m.

1.03 Wells, Chris ARI RB ® 6:43:24 p.m.

1.04 Maclin, Jeremy PHI WR ® 12:39:05 a.m.

1.05 Brown, Donald IND RB ® 1:41:17 a.m.

1.06 McCoy, LeSean PHI RB ® 11:03:00 a.m.

1.07 Greene, Shonn NYJ RB ® 12:34:54 p.m.

1.08 Harvin, Percy MIN WR ® 4:49:06 p.m.

1.09 Pettigrew, Brandon DET TE ® 5:00:47 p.m.

1.10 Stafford, Matthew DET QB ® 5:33:31 p.m.

1.11 Jennings, Rashad JAC RB ® 9:49:18 p.m.

1.12 Nicks, Hakeem NYG WR ® 10:41:54 p.m.

1.13 Sanchez, Mark NYJ QB ® 11:38:21 a.m.

1.14 Robiskie, Brian CLE WR ®

I took Maualuga and the next two were pre draft picks (Laurenitis and then Curry). It was kind of funnny. We'll see how things shake out for the 3rd, but I am lookinga at probably a DE or maybe WR. Like guys at both those positions.

So after 4 rounds I have pick up:

1 Moreno

2 Maualuga

3 Jared Cook

4 (traded up to 3 10) Everette Brown

Feeling reasonably good so far :-)

Thanks for everyboies help!

So after 4 rounds I have pick up:1 Moreno2 Maualuga3 Jared Cook4 (traded up to 3 10) Everette BrownFeeling reasonably good so far :-)Thanks for everyboies help!

Seems to be solid pickups. Moreno and Maualuga should be instant starters. Jared Cook is almost an additional WR and could be used alot like Dallas Clark if he gets the playing time. I took Brown as well in my rookie draft and he could get the chance to play some depending on Charles Johnson.