What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I post my least favorite commercials here (7 Viewers)

In other news, Verizon has decided to stop insulting our spatial aptitude by admitting that, yes, other cell phone company coverage scatter plots do indeed look like a map of the United States, just a little more empty.
You really have to wonder what is wrong with those people they find that they can't tell it's a map of the states.

In other news, Verizon has decided to stop insulting our spatial aptitude by admitting that, yes, other cell phone company coverage scatter plots do indeed look like a map of the United States, just a little more empty.
You really have to wonder what is wrong with those people they find that they can't tell it's a map of the states.
If you look in the background of the shots, you'll see other "artwork" that is similar in a non-US map shape (from my observation, they all seem to be symmetrical) so I'm guessing after seeing 10-20 of those things, they give up trying to figure out what the shape is.

I don't. They're stupid.

The Verizon commercial is dumb but it's a concept they need to market. AT&T and T-Mobile have been lying to people that HSPA+ is 4G for a couple of years now in order to cut the legs out of all the work Verizon did to launch LTE. LTE is much better.

The Verizon commercial is dumb but it's a concept they need to market. AT&T and T-Mobile have been lying to people that HSPA+ is 4G for a couple of years now in order to cut the legs out of all the work Verizon did to launch LTE. LTE is much better.
Whoa easy, killer.

shuke said:
17seconds said:
Whoa easy, killer.
These are huge companies who all have basically the same phones running the same software. Network quality is where Verizon makes nearly all of its investments to differentiate, so I expect them to grasp at every marketing idea related to the network.

:shrug:

If I hear one of those "Honestly... I wanna see you be braaaaaaave" Microsoft commercials one more time I'm jamming a fork through my ear drum

My 11 y.o. kid was watching SportsCenter this morning before school and he called me in to watch a commercial. He says, "Doesn't this mean that Ram and Ford are better?"

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/72aZ/2014-chevrolet-silverado-quiet-cab

"Chevy Silverado delivers a quiet cab that's second to nobody in its class. And by nobody, I mean Ram and Ford."
Wow, nice catch.
The Chevy "Second to no one. And by no one I mean Ford & Ram". Uh, doesn't that mean Chevy's second to Ford & Ram?
Ran into a friend/former colleague who is working at the agency for Chevy trucks. He told me this spot was one of his.I almost brought this point up to him. But instead, I politely told him it was well done. Sorry guys, I might have been able to right a wrong for you.
Second to none is a colloquialism. It means better than all the rest. Colloquialisms aren't always precisely literal. Hth

How has Chevy not pulled the "second to nobody...and by nobody, I mean Ram and Ford" commercial? Anyone with an IQ over 80 can tell you that he's saying that Chevy is second to Ram and Ford.

The Chevy "Second to no one. And by no one I mean Ford & Ram". Uh, doesn't that mean Chevy's second to Ford & Ram?
My 11 y.o. kid was watching SportsCenter this morning before school and he called me in to watch a commercial. He says, "Doesn't this mean that Ram and Ford are better?"
And yet, 2 and a half months later, they still air the commercial. So not only are the people that make these commercials dumb, but also ignorant.

How has Chevy not pulled the "second to nobody...and by nobody, I mean Ram and Ford" commercial? Anyone with an IQ over 80 can tell you that he's saying that Chevy is second to Ram and Ford.
They're not saying that at all. It's a colloquialism, it isn't literal.

The CBS Commercial where everyone is parading around with tinsel toe, Santa caps, and sleds and they end it with, "Happy Holidays!"

:X

If you want a diverse commercial to go along with your diverse message, diversify your commercial.

You think most of their 'Murica lovin', Skoal chewin', big dog havin' consumer base knows what a colloquialism is?

Then again, if they don't know what a colloquialism is...

Ok, guess the commercial is fine. :shrug:

It's a colloquialism that has been used in such a manner to cause people to laugh at the company and question the entire company's collective intelligence.

you pay for it too. personally, I don't need internet speed on my cell faster than at my house.

It's a colloquialism that has been used in such a manner to cause people to laugh at the company and question the entire company's collective intelligence.
It's not their fault if people are taking it too literally. The phrase means that they are not in 2nd place, behind anyone. It means they're first. Then they name who they are not behind. Sometimes you can't dissect everything literally, especially in advertising.

It's amusing that of the previous two posts, one says the company's collective intelligence is lacking and the other says that 'Murica's collective intelligence is laughing.

It's not their fault if people are taking it too literally. The phrase means that they are not in 2nd place, behind anyone. It means they're first. Then they name who they are not behind. Sometimes you can't dissect everything literally, especially in advertising.

It's amusing that of the previous two posts, one says the company's collective intelligence is lacking and the other says that 'Murica's collective intelligence is laughing.
We know what "second to none" but when you add what the commercial does, it changes the meaning completely.

It's not their fault if people are taking it too literally.
:lmao:

We know what "second to none" but when you add what the commercial does, it changes the meaning completely.
No it doesn't, unless you're trying to take it literally.

It doesn't change the meaning if they don't want it to change the meaning. That's the genius of it. /MadSweeney
It's really very simple. They aren't second to anyone, they're first. Those "anyones" that they are better than (ie-not 2nd to) are Ford and Chevy. It's not brain surgery, it's not genius. It's context.

You guys are looking at it as a literal, direct word substitution, but that's clearly not what's meant.

It doesn't change the meaning if they don't want it to change the meaning. That's the genius of it. /MadSweeney
It's really very simple. They aren't second to anyone, they're first. Those "anyones" that they are better than (ie-not 2nd to) are Ford and Chevy. It's not brain surgery, it's not genius. It's context.
Actually he says "nobody".

And by nobody, I mean you.

Neat. Everybody is saying Discount Double check in a very bad Midwestern accent. This is beyond awful...it's ear rape. Stop it. Now.

You guys are looking at it as a literal, direct word substitution, but that's clearly not what's meant.
Well no #### it's not what they meant.

It's still what it ends up sounding like.

Actually he says "nobody".

And by nobody, I mean you.
Correct, but I clearly wasn't quoting it. He doesn't say "they" either, which should tip you off that it isn't a quote. He doesn't add ", they're first" in there either, another clue that it isn't a quote. What I wrote is what the phrase means, since you seem to have trouble figuring it out on your own.

No, not really. Only if you deliberately try to insist that it's a word for word substitution that therefore will completely change the entire meaning of the commercial and make it the first ever ad whose central point is that the other guys are better.

No, not really. Only if you deliberately try to insist that it's a word for word substitution that therefore will completely change the entire meaning of the commercial and make it the first ever ad whose central point is that the other guys are better.
IT IS A WORD-FOR-WORD SUBSTITUTION!

"And by this word, we really mean these words."

WRONG

THE POINT IS THAT THEY ARE #1 AND THE OTHER TWO ARE THE ONES THEY ARE NOT 2ND TO. IT'S CALLED CONTEXT. LOOK IT UP!!!!!!!!!!

AND BY CONTEXT WE REALLY MEAN WHAT IT REALLY MEANS.

Huh. I had no idea timschochet was also mad sweeney. The more you know...
I had no idea you were operating at 8 year old English comprehension. The less you know...
I had no idea you were such a condescending #####...oh wait, I forgot it's you.
Kinda funny that you ##### about a reply to your own condescending post.
Someone comparing you to tim is a compliment.

WRONG

THE POINT IS THAT THEY ARE #1 AND THE OTHER TWO ARE THE ONES THEY ARE NOT 2ND TO. IT'S CALLED CONTEXT. LOOK IT UP!!!!!!!!!!

Well, he used all caps that time, so I think I got his point now. I might not have gotten it if he typed like people above an 8 year old English comprehension levels.

WRONG

Well, he used all caps that time, so I think I got his point now. I might not have gotten it if he typed like people above an 8 year old English comprehension levels.
:lmao: Once again, it's funny that you ##### about me doing exactly what the person I replied to did.

Unless you were being condescending towards Homer.

WRONG

I know what the point is.

My point is that you're a dooooooooooosh.

WRONG

And at that, he's second to none.

WRONG

I don't think you do since you keep arguing that it means what it doesn't mean.

WRONG

:lmao: Once again, it's funny that you ##### about me doing exactly what the person I replied to did.

Unless you were being condescending towards Homer.
No, I'm only condescending towards you because you've earned it.

"Wait, you're picking on the guy that's making sense, right?" How rich. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread