What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE FBG Fashion Thread :style: (2 Viewers)

Ok, I have a very specific question, folks.

I am going to the races at Churchill Downs tomorrow for Oaks Day. I will be roaming the infield and paddock area - nothing fancy at all. However, I also have some other places to visit that require something a little more than jeans.

Normally, it would not be an issue, but I have lost 40 lbs in the past year (medical related), that I did not need to lose. After finding some solutions with my docs, I am now gaining some of my weight back. But, my favorite pants are all too big right now. I have 3 options:

1) Wear baggy pants = NO - I know better, even tho I have done while doing chores, etc.

2) Buy something for this one event - knowing that will be too small for me within a few months.

3) Wear a pair of pants, that accidentally got placed in my bag a few years ago by a store clerk. (Heh, as I was leaving, there was a guy complaining about losing his pants...I never connected it until I got home.) Since I never bought them, I don't know anything. It is not something that I would normally buy.

Here are 2 pictures of the pants:

Full view

Up Close

Are they ok? I don't need to be pretty, but I don't want to be way off either. Remember also, this is Derby Week where lots of interesting fashion is all abound.

I have time to shop tonight.

Thanks in advance.

@rockaction

Since you a Dapper Dan man too - I definitely want yous opinion.
I always vote buying something new but I just don’t like feeling like I’m not dressed decently. Also I do like those pants. Ive never been to any real Derby events but they look right to me.

I always vote buying something new but I just don’t like feeling like I’m not dressed decently. Also I do like those pants. Ive never been to any real Derby events but they look right to me.
Yeah, normally I'd vote new too, but, I plan/hope to be at least +20 pounds as soon as healthily possible.

Plus, other than this event, I can cover most of my clothing needs, until my current wardrobe fits me proper again.

Thnks a lot 80s.

Also, to all, what is the current status on the Chelsea boot?

I am currently in a debate over its style with a local - I won't say which side I take, yet. All opinions are welcome.

EDIT: Also - no - even if I am on the good side of the Chelsea, I plan to wear black Roper's this week - I don't  care about the global fashion - they work here on Derby week - plus, they hold up well to the Churchill infield conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I have a very specific question, folks.

I am going to the races at Churchill Downs tomorrow for Oaks Day. I will be roaming the infield and paddock area - nothing fancy at all. However, I also have some other places to visit that require something a little more than jeans.

Normally, it would not be an issue, but I have lost 40 lbs in the past year (medical related), that I did not need to lose. After finding some solutions with my docs, I am now gaining some of my weight back. But, my favorite pants are all too big right now. I have 3 options:

1) Wear baggy pants = NO - I know better, even tho I have done while doing chores, etc.

2) Buy something for this one event - knowing that will be too small for me within a few months.

3) Wear a pair of pants, that accidentally got placed in my bag a few years ago by a store clerk. (Heh, as I was leaving, there was a guy complaining about losing his pants...I never connected it until I got home.) Since I never bought them, I don't know anything. It is not something that I would normally buy.

Here are 2 pictures of the pants:

Full view

Up Close

Are they ok? I don't need to be pretty, but I don't want to be way off either. Remember also, this is Derby Week where lots of interesting fashion is all abound.

I have time to shop tonight.

Thanks in advance.

@rockaction

Since you a Dapper Dan man too - I definitely want yous opinion.
Pants look good.  Dress it up with a white button down and white canvas kicks for :style:  See previous article for guidance.  

Pants look good.  Dress it up with a white button down and white canvas kicks for :style:  See previous article for guidance.  
Thnx a whole lot Major.

However, I planned to pair em with this:

I plan to wear black Roper's this week - I don't  care about the global fashion - they work here on Derby week - plus, they hold up well to the Churchill infield conditions.
What do you think?

EDIT: White button down is already on the dress'n table.

Also, hats...Fedora - nice summer straw - etc -?  Derby is all about hats.

I'm not a cowboy guy but if that's your style, I suppose those could work.  Wear a crisp white button down.  I'd say a black cowboy hat to match would be 💰 for a Derby event.
Cool.thnx.

I am staying away from the Cowboy hat, because I am not a western guy, and that much cowboy is too much for me.

I was think'n a black fedora or a nice dark brown straw hat with black band.

how are you stylists keeping white shoes clean?

to me they only look good fresh out of the box. one wear and they have noticeably dimmed in color from dirt. then they just look... not good.

to me they only look good fresh out of the box. one wear and they have noticeably dimmed in color from dirt. then they just look... not good.
Just don’t get them dirty? Canvas might be tougher but I’ve never had an issue with leather. I have a pair of white on white Sambas that are a few years old that still look clean. Although I’ve probably only ever worn them to dinner/bar and the beach.

BUT HOW?????????

streets and sidewalks are dirty. grass leaves grass stains. people drag toes. people step on feet. drop something on white shoes... stain. sun yellows them.

what am i missing?
I don’t wear them often. On a couple months of the year and even then not regularly. I don’t know, they just don’t get dirty. I wouldn’t wear them if I was hiking or if it might be muddy. So I guess am just careful when I wear them?

like a clear plastic coating spray? 
Yeah.

I rode motorcycles as my primary transportation for years, and I used a variety of sprays to keep me weather proofed.

Most were mostly invisible - and made for leather. I quit riding about 3 years ago - so - I don't know the current status of things.

I'll see if I can find any old bottles lay'n round.

I'll PM em to ya!

It was a different time way back then with cheap denim and dad shoes.  Not sure about the puffy shirt but every man needs at least one quality pair of white casual sneakers.  I like them b/c you can wear them with every color of pant/jean and they still look good.
Gross

basic essential no matter the season...good reading for you @saintfoolhttps://www.dmarge.com/2018/10/how-to-wear-white-sneakers.html
Zero relevance. Sneakers as a matter of style - dressing up or down - is completely worthwhile. Arguing for the necessity of *white* to the exclusion of color or pattern is patently absurd. Every one of those examples could be worn as well with a thoughtfully selected pair or sneakers with any other color/pattern/design is obvious. I can acknowledge that white sneakers are a good sartorial choice for some but they are not always the *superior* choice. Given the choice for the same shoe in white vs color? Choose color. It's a philosophy, ethos and goshdam raison d-####### etre as much as anything fellas.

Zero relevance. Sneakers as a matter of style - dressing up or down - is completely worthwhile. Arguing for the necessity of *white* to the exclusion of color or pattern is patently absurd. Every one of those examples could be worn as well with a thoughtfully selected pair or sneakers with any other color/pattern/design is obvious. I can acknowledge that white sneakers are a good sartorial choice for some but they are not always the *superior* choice. Given the choice for the same shoe in white vs color? Choose color. It's a philosophy, ethos and goshdam raison d-####### etre as much as anything fellas.
I think my white-on-white preference is a budgetary choice. Yes, white shoes get dirty. But to wear many different pairs of sneakers due to color? I'd rather buy dress shoes than sneakers, and have a limited budget. I prefer nicer dress shoes or nicer casual shoes other than participating in the sneaker revival.

I have nothing against it, just not my trip.

@Man of Constant Sorrow. The pants are fine if they fit. Wear, as Major said, with button down white shirt and blazer. Boots might make you look like an enormous jockey, though. I'd skip the boots unless I was wearing jeans.

BUT HOW?????????

streets and sidewalks are dirty. grass leaves grass stains. people drag toes. people step on feet. drop something on white shoes... stain. sun yellows them.

what am i missing?
If you're near LA, this place is awesome.  Like dropping your shirts off for dry cleaning.  If you're not local, they sell some great kits to keep your shoes crisp:

https://jasonmarkk.com/flagship/los-angeles/

Only when Slappy's at the wheel...
:blink:
Sometimes I think yous sheltered, Urb...

Slappy burn'n rubber...

Man of Constant Sorrow. The pants are fine if they fit. Wear, as Major said, with button down white shirt and blazer. Boots might make you look like an enormous jockey, though. I'd skip the boots unless I was wearing jeans.
Thnx much rock. Pants luckily fit great.

A white button down is hang'n ready to go. I will iron it tonight as well.

Blazer is an option, but with the heat - during an all day event in the sun - with no seats - I doubt I will wear it. It is usually part of my attire when doing this set up tho, and I wore it last year. I will wear it to the events outside of the track tho.

Boots - yeah, I understand, buddy. However, these (not really - mine are broken in) are my very most comfortable foot covers. I bought them in '89, and they are broke in perfect. Plus, they look nearly new when shined - but have wonderful creases. With the infield being possibly very muddy, I am pretty set on these, regardless of sartorial sensibilities. Derby Week affords one an eccentric item - many people go full on eccentric - but one is enough for me. Also, they fit well under the pants and don't flare out.

Finally, if I am confused for a giant jockey - well - jockey's are rock stars here - could be a golden ticket!

How about a vest?
Damn good idea. I have a few, but - like most of my favorite clothes - I need to grow back into them.

My very best dancing days were in vests. 👍

Therefore, I will have to skip the vest this time.

BIG - BIG thanks to all who have helped.

😎

And, I am open to more feedback.

OH - also, anyone have any opinion on this yet:

Also, to all, what is the current status on the Chelsea boot?
It is not really important, but I hope to end my dispute on this issue, tomorrow.

Thnx again.

nope 

...and blazer. ...

Blazer is an option, but with the heat - during an all day event in the sun - with no seats - I doubt I will wear it. It is usually part of my attire when doing this set up tho, and I wore it last year. I will wear it to the events outside of the track tho.
I just tried on my blazers that go with the rest. Unfortunately, they are all kinda wide in the shoulders and chest for me now.

I'm afraid I will have to stick to the basics for tomorrow. ☹️

The only outfit the average Joe on the street should try on a daily basis is the shorts with white shoes outfit.

Maybe I don't know the age of the people in this thread, but as a 45 year old midwesternern, there was nothing else on that page I would ever wear.
43 and midwestern

i'd wear almost all those clothes in combination  :shrug:

43 and midwestern

i'd wear almost all those clothes in combination  :shrug:
You must be far more hip than I, I guess.

I will clarify that I believe several of the outfits acceptability actually hinge on the rolled pants look.  Are you rolling your pants?  Rolled chino's with white sneakers look pretty cool, but I think you have to be in your 20s/early 30s to pull that off (or cool as heck).  Unrolled chinos with white sneakers looks more sloppy.

mr. furley said:

Dunk in can of white paint.

:stylin:

You must be far more hip than I, I guess.

I will clarify that I believe several of the outfits acceptability actually hinge on the rolled pants look.  Are you rolling your pants?  Rolled chino's with white sneakers look pretty cool, but I think you have to be in your 20s/early 30s to pull that off (or cool as heck).  Unrolled chinos with white sneakers looks more sloppy.
haven't rolled my pants since the 80s but not opposed to the idea in the right conditions

:style: is one of those things where you just have to dive headlong in to it. can't half ###, gotta whole ###. not saying i'm flamboyant or even particularly stylish but i think if you're going to veer off in to trying to dress more..... trendy.... or even more classically stylish, you've gotta go all the way.

if you dip your toes in and piece it.. it'll look awkward, and you'll feel awkward. 

:style: is being confident in what you're wearing, no matter what it is.

haven't rolled my pants since the 80s but not opposed to the idea in the right conditions

:style: is one of those things where you just have to dive headlong in to it. can't half ###, gotta whole ###. not saying i'm flamboyant or even particularly stylish but i think if you're going to veer off in to trying to dress more..... trendy.... or even more classically stylish, you've gotta go all the way.

if you dip your toes in and piece it.. it'll look awkward, and you'll feel awkward. 

:style: is being confident in what you're wearing, no matter what it is.
Agree with that, but the other piece is it has to be something you like the look of.  White sneakers aren't something universal necessarily, in the way a sport coat is for example.  By that I mean white sneakers may be cool now, but maybe they won't be in the 2020s.  A sport coat will never go out of style.  Don't bother me with trends, I'll stick to style.

Users who are viewing this thread