What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE FBG Fashion Thread :style: (3 Viewers)

Agree with that, but the other piece is it has to be something you like the look of.  White sneakers aren't something universal necessarily, in the way a sport coat is for example.  By that I mean white sneakers may be cool now, but maybe they won't be in the 2020s.  A sport coat will never go out of style.  Don't bother me with trends, I'll stick to style.
They do go out of style though depending on the fit and cut of the coat.  I cant wear any of my suits or sports coats from the late 90s/early 2000s b/c of this.  I've been wearing simple white kicks a lot longer than that.  

They do go out of style though depending on the fit and cut of the coat.  I cant wear any of my suits or sports coats from the late 90s/early 2000s b/c of this.  I've been wearing simple white kicks a lot longer than that.  
Exactly. In the pile of clothes from my attic from the early aughts or maybe late 90s was a suit. The cut was ridiculous was just too big/baggy- not because I have lost weight but because it was the way many things were worn back then. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not arguing for actually wearing the same item of clothing indefinitely.  Obviously cuts change over time.  I remember watching a Marilyn Monroe documentary and there was a shot of her with Arthur Miller, and he was wearing a v-neck sweater with a button up shirt underneath, and outfit a stylish male could have worn in any decade since then (at least).  Of course the v on his sweater was really low, and the collar on his shirt was huge.  So details change.

As far as white shoes, how are those K-swiss rocking for your?  Actually, maybe those are back again, I can't keep track.  Casual shoes go through the same trends as well.  But as others have said, there aren't any situations or outfits where you really have to wear white shoes.  Something else is always an option (and in my opinion usually a better option).  Want to go to a nice dinner, or step up your outfit for a date?  Throw on a jacket.  Sure, there are options, but most men should have a sport coat in their wardrobe, but everyone can get away without white shoes.

I'm not arguing for actually wearing the same item of clothing indefinitely.  Obviously cuts change over time.  I remember watching a Marilyn Monroe documentary and there was a shot of her with Arthur Miller, and he was wearing a v-neck sweater with a button up shirt underneath, and outfit a stylish male could have worn in any decade since then (at least).  Of course the v on his sweater was really low, and the collar on his shirt was huge.  So details change.

As far as white shoes, how are those K-swiss rocking for your?  Actually, maybe those are back again, I can't keep track.  Casual shoes go through the same trends as well.  But as others have said, there aren't any situations or outfits where you really have to wear white shoes.  Something else is always an option (and in my opinion usually a better option).  Want to go to a nice dinner, or step up your outfit for a date?  Throw on a jacket.  Sure, there are options, but most men should have a sport coat in their wardrobe, but everyone can get away without white shoes.
Not really sure what you're arguing then.  If your sports coat analogy holds correct, sounds like your saying that general article of clothing will never go out of style.  I'd tend to agree.  Same goes with things such as pants, shirts and shoes.  Way to take a stand ✊

Sportscoats are laughed at here in California.

My experience is that sportscoats are very regional.  Midwesterners and the South love sportscoats.  Coastal cities frown upon them if you're under 50.  They're viewed as an old guy thing.

Casual sweaters, modern jackets are much more en vogue in cities like New York, LA and SF.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Sportscoats are laughed at here in California.

My experience is that sportscoats are very regional.  Midwesterners and the South love sportscoats.  Coastal cities frown upon them if you're under 50.  They're viewed as an old guy thing.

Casual sweaters, modern jackets are much more en vogue in cities like New York, LA and SF.

Don't shoot the messenger.
I don’t even think in the Midwest cities that sports coats are young and cool. I wouldn’t say frowned upon though. 

If I wear a sports coat it’s not because I’m trying to be cool. Honestly it’s that I’m trying to press upon a certain image. But I guess that’s all fashion 

You can spray canvas or fabric sneakers with several coats of Camp Dry to help keep them cleaner longer.

Leather can be cleaned with a damp cloth or even some soap and a brush.

Suede gets cleaned with a $6 kit from Amazon that has a stiff or brass brush and some erasers for scuffs.

But really, most sneakers look better with some light wear. Don't walk through mud puddles and you shouldn't need to clean them all that frequently.

So I got the K-Swiss and the Adidas Stan Smith all-whites in the mail. Going with the Stan Smiths because the K-Swiss, while a really good-looking shoe (IMHO), bows in at the forefoot and makes it rub up against where the toes meet the tops of one's feet.  Looked at the canvas vs. leather debate and went leather, did not go Barney's cream because cream doesn't go with my preppy shorts (light blue linen, light pink, white, sandstone, etc.)

Anyway, the K-Swiss were not a good walk.

I loved some of those. I'm really debating the canvas vs. leather upper. As an aside, I also loved the shoe they were basing their ratings off of, which was mentioned and linked to in this thread. It was just out of a normal white sneaker budget for me, so it's nice to see those particular taste-makers rate a more affordable shoe. Also, suede rules, but I've been told to stay away in summer. And cream is not white. 

The Tretorns led me down the rabbit hole to this interview with Andre 3000 https://www.gq.com/story/andre-3000-outkast-gq-style-interview

The part about him and bootleg shirts was interesting. I am a big user and proponent of heat-transfer bootleg shirts, just like Andre claims to have been. The designs and the people you can get on them are very cool. For instance, I recently got this shirt, linked below, to pair with some PRPS jeans, a stud belt, and some Dr. Marten pebbles or other cherry version of Dr. Marten smooths (Made In England). I've been getting compliments on the shirts and outfit, and I'm sort of not exactly a model getting compliments for his looks, nor do I think I'm getting pity for being a walking fashion disaster, as it is all relatively understated. It seems hostesses at restaurants particularly are lavish with the compliments, and they're not working tips, really.

https://i.etsystatic.com/7690904/r/il/a3a64d/1382405206/il_1588xN.1382405206_jz2f.jpg

(You'll note the leopard print background the shirt is on -- that means style...I say that tongue-in-cheek and seriously)

Anyone else into Gildan or heavyweight t-shirts and heat-transfers or digi transfers with tailoring just to get the cool graphic tee look with a modern cut and fit to it, or am I just nuts?

:)

Maybe that was too personalized a post. Style is definitely in the eye of the beholder and is highly individual.

The above shirt that I posted was Dave Vanian of The Damned on the cover of Slash magazine, a famous LA punk magazine in the mid-to-late seventies. He was profiled and given a shout-out as a progenitor of the beautiful goth look in Vogue magazine a few years back. The fashion writer even linked "New Rose," taken down on copyright grounds, but which can be found at the second link below.

https://www.vogue.com/article/dave-vanian-the-damned-style-fashion-birthday

https://youtu.be/ThcXEqxI_IQ?t=49

I'll try and refrain from highly personalized posts in the future, as one person's gold is another's cringe. I don't really want to delete the post, though, as an interesting style tendency of one of the leading style mavens in hip hop/entertainment was lamenting and procuring the same things I've found on the internet for style. Andre 3000, the person in question, is pairing a handmade, more highbrow merch shirt (inspired by heat transfers and internet and street bootleg stuff) with at least six grand on his body to go with it, a nice contrast for sure. 

This would also be an interesting thread to discuss intellectual property law and style as it relates to trademark, copyright, and design patents in America/UK and in Continental Europe. Just a thought. 

eta* On that note, this leads me to this article. Interesting discussion about the uses and frequency with which each IP doctrine is used in fashion depending on the country. https://fashionista.com/2016/12/fashion-law-patent-copyright-trademark

Appreciate the link.  That first pair is glorious and about $300 cheaper than my favorite shoe (Common Projects).  Haven't tested comfort level but I'll report back.  
nice, I actually just ordered myself a pair of these as well as perfect summer shoe.    the 12's sold out so took a shot on the 11.5's hoping the thin no show sock gives that little extra room.

You guys have any of the higher end workout/swimwear/hanging out shorts?  Debating investing in a few pairs of Vuori vs say lululemon.
Not familiar with Vuori but like the collection you linked.  Fan of Lulu b/c they can often work for both casual and working out. Some of my shorts date back to 2010 and still hold up. However, something simple like this can really work for any situation: https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/product/prada/slim-fit-logo-appliqued-mohair-and-wool-blend-shorts/1112454

Not familiar with Vuori but like the collection you linked.  Fan of Lulu b/c they can often work for both casual and working out. Some of my shorts date back to 2010 and still hold up. However, something simple like this can really work for any situation: https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/product/prada/slim-fit-logo-appliqued-mohair-and-wool-blend-shorts/1112454
I especially like them for getting some work down around the yard. I notice my neighbors staring so I know I am looking good. 

Sitting there in your tight jorts and red Nebraska Cornhusker logo'd crocs and wondering if it's a good look?

Ready to slip on your brown boat shoes with your black double breasted suit?

White wife beater with or without the gold neck rope chain?

Questions about style? Fire away and I (and I'm sure many others) will give an opinion on it.
post 1, July 2009    :lmao:  

nice, I actually just ordered myself a pair of these as well as perfect summer shoe.    the 12's sold out so took a shot on the 11.5's hoping the thin no show sock gives that little extra room.
https://shopnewrepublic.com/collections/all/products/kurt-leather-sneaker?variant=3312544645144&utm_source=tbpepperjam&utm_medium=21181&utm_campaign=2-312517&clickId=2699995386

link to what I was referencing in my quoted post.   Just arrived at my door and tried on....like them a lot. Quality, simple and :style:

Here's a few overall general tips to get us all started...

- never wear pants with pleats in the front. Never.

- always make sure the length of your pants AT LEAST touches the top of your shoes. Anything shorter and you look like a doofus.

- throw the following pant styles in the garbage immediately: curdoroys, carpenter jeans, cargo pants.
A few general tips from the early days.

Didn't someone in this thread recently say pleats were back?

There's a younger guy in my office who wears rediculously short chino's.  Like 3 inches from his shoes when he walks around.  And he always wears funky socks (I'm sure that's the point).  All guys at some point stop their style in a certain point in time and just live their life out in a previous style decade.  If this short pant crazy continues, I will be living my life out in the last decade I guess.

Bedford corduroy with a little stretch is the bomb.

There's a younger guy in my office who wears rediculously short chino's.  Like 3 inches from his shoes when he walks around.  And he always wears funky socks (I'm sure that's the point).  All guys at some point stop their style in a certain point in time and just live their life out in a previous style decade.  If this short pant crazy continues, I will be living my life out in the last decade I guess.

Funny how things change in 10 years.  Still not a fan of pleats and won't wear high water pants but I definitely roll up and cuff my pants often.  

The guy in your office knows stuff.

Major said:
Funny how things change in 10 years.  Still not a fan of pleats and won't wear high water pants but I definitely roll up and cuff my pants often.  
Ya, meant to add I will never wear pleats.  I was all in on pleats when I started working, but I'll never go back. Even new pants with pleats look like something someone stole from the Friends wardrobe when no one was looking.  But, I guess super high waist jeans are back for girls so I guess that is the time frame we are re doing right now.  Watch out for shoulder padded sport coats next.

Ya, meant to add I will never wear pleats.  I was all in on pleats when I started working, but I'll never go back. Even new pants with pleats look like something someone stole from the Friends wardrobe when no one was looking.  But, I guess super high waist jeans are back for girls so I guess that is the time frame we are re doing right now.  Watch out for shoulder padded sport coats next.
Been back for four years among the high schoolers. (I only know because my step niece and niece were that age back then.)

Agreed, but no matter how long they are back it is not for the better.
Agreed again that the high-waisted look was bad in the fifties, and looks bad now. But we're forgetting how much of :style: is status and not aesthetics. 

Agreed again that the high-waisted look was bad in the fifties, and looks bad now. But we're forgetting how much of :style: is status and not aesthetics. 
That's where I disagree, and I think I got off on this tangent before.  High waist jeans is the current fashion, but good style does not change that much over time (some details yes, but overall, not so much).

Take Carey Grant.  Google image him and see how much a guy could walk down the street dressed like him today and still look good.  That's style.

That's the irony of this thread title.  It is the Fashion thread (which changes with the whims of the masses), but :style: is the subtitle, which is a completely different concept.

That's where I disagree, and I think I got off on this tangent before.  High waist jeans is the current fashion, but good style does not change that much over time (some details yes, but overall, not so much).

Take Carey Grant.  Google image him and see how much a guy could walk down the street dressed like him today and still look good.  That's style.

That's the irony of this thread title.  It is the Fashion thread (which changes with the whims of the masses), but :style: is the subtitle, which is a completely different concept.
I'll totally agree with this. Nice point, well-played, and all that. 

style is a way to look.   :style: is a way of life. 
Maybe the hair I should be splitting, I guess, is the difference between personal style and stylish.

Person style can be anything. I can walk around in baggy corduroy carpenter pants and a wife beater and say that my personal style is nouveau trailer park.  Personal style can't be debated as you can assign whatever you want to be your personal style.

Stylish, while not necessary exact, uniform, or universal is though more general and timeless.  A black tux with bow tie, with a slight break at the hem, and a peaked lapel is stylish.  A gray tux with black accents and a hem three inches above your shoe is fashionable, but not stylish.  A royal blue tux with shorts instead of pants and worn with sandals might be someone's personal style, but they aren't fashionable  or stylish.

While a lot of this thread borders on personal style and fashion, I tend to try to stay away from those.  My personal clothes buying habits have lessened, so I try to buy high quality pieces that are stylish.

I make no criticism of people who buy clothes in a different manner, as everyone's individual personal style is their own business.

Users who are viewing this thread