Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
offdee

THE FBG Fashion Thread :style:

On 7/2/2009 at 4:45 PM, offdee said:

Here's a few overall general tips to get us all started...

- never wear pants with pleats in the front. Never.

- always make sure the length of your pants AT LEAST touches the top of your shoes. Anything shorter and you look like a doofus.

- throw the following pant styles in the garbage immediately: curdoroys, carpenter jeans, cargo pants.

A few general tips from the early days.

Didn't someone in this thread recently say pleats were back?

There's a younger guy in my office who wears rediculously short chino's.  Like 3 inches from his shoes when he walks around.  And he always wears funky socks (I'm sure that's the point).  All guys at some point stop their style in a certain point in time and just live their life out in a previous style decade.  If this short pant crazy continues, I will be living my life out in the last decade I guess.

Bedford corduroy with a little stretch is the bomb.

• Thinking 1

2 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

There's a younger guy in my office who wears rediculously short chino's.  Like 3 inches from his shoes when he walks around.  And he always wears funky socks (I'm sure that's the point).  All guys at some point stop their style in a certain point in time and just live their life out in a previous style decade.  If this short pant crazy continues, I will be living my life out in the last decade I guess.

Funny how things change in 10 years.  Still not a fan of pleats and won't wear high water pants but I definitely roll up and cuff my pants often.  

4 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

The guy in your office knows stuff.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, offdee said:

https://shopnewrepublic.com/collections/all/products/kurt-leather-sneaker?variant=3312544645144&utm_source=tbpepperjam&utm_medium=21181&utm_campaign=2-312517&clickId=2699995386

link to what I was referencing in my quoted post.   Just arrived at my door and tried on....like them a lot. Quality, simple and :style:

a little help!

15 hours ago, Major said:

Funny how things change in 10 years.  Still not a fan of pleats and won't wear high water pants but I definitely roll up and cuff my pants often.  

Ya, meant to add I will never wear pleats.  I was all in on pleats when I started working, but I'll never go back. Even new pants with pleats look like something someone stole from the Friends wardrobe when no one was looking.  But, I guess super high waist jeans are back for girls so I guess that is the time frame we are re doing right now.  Watch out for shoulder padded sport coats next.

4 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

Ya, meant to add I will never wear pleats.  I was all in on pleats when I started working, but I'll never go back. Even new pants with pleats look like something someone stole from the Friends wardrobe when no one was looking.  But, I guess super high waist jeans are back for girls so I guess that is the time frame we are re doing right now.  Watch out for shoulder padded sport coats next.

Been back for four years among the high schoolers. (I only know because my step niece and niece were that age back then.)

3 hours ago, rockaction said:

Been back for four years among the high schoolers. (I only know because my step niece and niece were that age back then.)

Agreed, but no matter how long they are back it is not for the better.

1 minute ago, Bull Dozier said:

Agreed, but no matter how long they are back it is not for the better.

Agreed again that the high-waisted look was bad in the fifties, and looks bad now. But we're forgetting how much of :style: is status and not aesthetics. 

Edited by rockaction

22 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Agreed again that the high-waisted look was bad in the fifties, and looks bad now. But we're forgetting how much of :style: is status and not aesthetics. 

That's where I disagree, and I think I got off on this tangent before.  High waist jeans is the current fashion, but good style does not change that much over time (some details yes, but overall, not so much).

Take Carey Grant.  Google image him and see how much a guy could walk down the street dressed like him today and still look good.  That's style.

That's the irony of this thread title.  It is the Fashion thread (which changes with the whims of the masses), but :style: is the subtitle, which is a completely different concept.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

That's where I disagree, and I think I got off on this tangent before.  High waist jeans is the current fashion, but good style does not change that much over time (some details yes, but overall, not so much).

Take Carey Grant.  Google image him and see how much a guy could walk down the street dressed like him today and still look good.  That's style.

That's the irony of this thread title.  It is the Fashion thread (which changes with the whims of the masses), but :style: is the subtitle, which is a completely different concept.

I'll totally agree with this. Nice point, well-played, and all that. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

style is a way to look.   :style: is a way of life. 

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

15 minutes ago, offdee said:

Can't really debate this. 

1 hour ago, offdee said:

Maybe the hair I should be splitting, I guess, is the difference between personal style and stylish.

Person style can be anything. I can walk around in baggy corduroy carpenter pants and a wife beater and say that my personal style is nouveau trailer park.  Personal style can't be debated as you can assign whatever you want to be your personal style.

Stylish, while not necessary exact, uniform, or universal is though more general and timeless.  A black tux with bow tie, with a slight break at the hem, and a peaked lapel is stylish.  A gray tux with black accents and a hem three inches above your shoe is fashionable, but not stylish.  A royal blue tux with shorts instead of pants and worn with sandals might be someone's personal style, but they aren't fashionable  or stylish.

While a lot of this thread borders on personal style and fashion, I tend to try to stay away from those.  My personal clothes buying habits have lessened, so I try to buy high quality pieces that are stylish.

I make no criticism of people who buy clothes in a different manner, as everyone's individual personal style is their own business.

24 minutes ago, saintfool said:

Tennis great Bill Tilden actually.

little known fact, he actually went by Edgar

5 hours ago, offdee said:

Every time I read a style post from offdee and see that muskateer hat in the avatar I smile. 

• Thanks 1

Looking to get some new Onitsukas.  Thoughts?

https://www.onitsukatiger.com/us/en-us/mexico-66/c/mexico-66

Probably getting these:

https://www.onitsukatiger.com/us/en-us/mexico-66/p/0020008351.200

but thinking about these: 

https://www.onitsukatiger.com/us/en-us/mexico-66-slip-on/p/0020008368.202

Edited by ren hoek

36 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

nurse's shoes in those hues. color is your friend.

1 hour ago, ren hoek said:

Unless you're trying out for the wrestling team,  I think you can do much better my friend.

• Laughing 1

i've got a couple pair of Onistuka's. both are pretty old at this point. they are different material.. one is leather and the other is sort of a mesh fabric sort of deal.

caution: they are flat as hell and offer no support whatsoever. walking in them for a period of time can be painful.

I realize this question is a few years old but I'm just into the civilian office scene. 

So, what's the verdict on leaving the top button undone while wearing a tie? 

In my office, there's 7 male attorneys. Two of the senior attorneys always wear a tie. One senior doesn't. Two Junior attorneys wear a tie for every meeting. Two of us only put on a tie for special occasions, usually while briefing the "CEO". 

I hate having my top button buttoned. I'll do it but it's constricting even when the shirt is the right size. But when I left the top button undone Friday, it felt freeing. Looked decent, I could tighten it up or button the top in a pinch, but for most of the day it seemed a good way to go. 

Thoughts? 

FWIW, this is a federal agency with a wide variety of dress - full suits, shirt and tie, polo and jeans. The senior leadership more often wear shirt and tie, but not always and not all of them.

32 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

I realize this question is a few years old but I'm just into the civilian office scene. 

In my office, there's 7 male attorneys. Two of the senior attorneys always wear a tie. One senior doesn't. Two Junior attorneys wear a tie for every meeting. Two of us only put on a tie for special occasions, usually while briefing the "CEO". 

I hate having my top button buttoned. I'll do it but it's constricting even when the shirt is the right size. But when I left the top button undone Friday, it felt freeing. Looked decent, I could tighten it up or button the top in a pinch, but for most of the day it seemed a good way to go. 

Thoughts? 

FWIW, this is a federal agency with a wide variety of dress - full suits, shirt and tie, polo and jeans. The senior leadership more often wear shirt and tie, but not always and not all of them.

I think you're fine most days.  Button it up when you have important meetings or need to make an impression.  I definitely get the comfort thing. I often left the top unbuttoned when I was just in the office and not meeting clients (investment banking).  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, -OZ- said:

Thoughts? 

Good question.

First rule of course is you do you. But if you're asking for feedback, my take is tie loosened and top button unbottoned anytime before afternoon looks sloppy. It looks like you're a server at Bennigans have to wear a tie. 

My take is if you're going to the trouble of wearing a tie, wear it sharp. 

I'd also take a look at a bigger collar size. I know some people are more sensitive to stuff like this than others but I have zero uncomfort with the top button buttoned. Good luck. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Good question.

First rule of course is you do you. But if you're asking for feedback, my take is tie loosened and top button unbottoned anytime before afternoon looks sloppy. It looks like you're a server at Bennigans have to wear a tie. 

I'd also take a look at a bigger collar size. I know some people are more sensitive to stuff like this than others but I have zero uncomfort with the top button buttoned. Good luck. 

:goodposting:

Button the top button. If the collar bothers you, get shirts with more room. I never even notice when mine is buttoned. 

If you have a sensory issue and it just doesn't work, forget the tie and go with something else. If you have to dress it up, throw on a blazer or sportcoat. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

:goodposting:

Button the top button. If the collar bothers you, get shirts with more room. I never even notice when mine is buttoned. 

If you have a sensory issue and it just doesn't work, forget the tie and go with something else. If you have to dress it up, throw on a blazer or sportcoat. 

That has been my go to the past couple years. 

34 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Good question.

it's amazing wait a half-size up can do for comfort in situations like this. also, bringing the tie up without it being constricting is essential. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Good question.

I agree. The unbuttoned loose tie, sleeves rolled up look is good for a 6:00 martini after work. It’s not good for the 9:00 AM work meeting.

• Like 2

There are also now stretch collars for bigger necks if the shirt blouses out in fit when you move up a neck size. Add to that the emergence of skinny fit shirts, and you're likely to get a modern look even up a neck size.

• Like 2

I think you guys have the wrong impression of a simple top unbutton.  This is really something only you know and can't be noticed by others unless offdee is a coworker and he's perusing the office checking out other dudes.  It doesn't look sloppy like the loose tie, sleeves rolled up schtick.  Your tie is still high and just a tad looser (pretty much covers the button).  

Best advice if your office is business casual is to just wear a sports or suit coat to the office with a dress shirt.   Have a few ties handy just in case you need them for something more formal.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Major said:

I think you guys have the wrong impression of a simple top unbutton.  This is really something only you know and can't be noticed by others unless offdee is a coworker and he's perusing the office checking out other dudes.  It doesn't look sloppy like the loose tie, sleeves rolled up schtick.  Your tie is still high and just a tad looser (pretty much covers the button).  

Best advice if your office is business casual is to just wear a sports or suit coat to the office with a dress shirt.   Have a few ties handy just in case you need them for something more formal.  

I think we get it. I still say if you're going to wear a tie, wear it sharp. And in my opinion that means buttoning the top button of the shirt and having the tie where it's supposed to be, covering the top button. Not just pretty much covering. Actually, what you're hitting on is a pretty big deal. Much of style in my opinion is getting that last 5% right. 

Agreed, a dress shirt with no tie and coat would be a better look. 

4 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

I think we get it. I still say if you're going to wear a tie, wear it sharp. And in my opinion that means buttoning the top button of the shirt and having the tie where it's supposed to be, covering the top button. Not just pretty much covering. Actually, what you're hitting on is a pretty big deal. Much of style in my opinion is getting that last 5% right. 

Agreed, a dress shirt with no tie and coat would be a better look. 

Dont check in on this thread too often. Only checked because you were last reply. Not gonna lie the visual i always have of you is a dude with teva sandals and cargo shorts maybe even sunglasses with croakies. 

So i enjoyed reading your top button tight tie post more than most.

1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

Dont check in on this thread too often. Only checked because you were last reply. Not gonna lie the visual i always have of you is a dude with teva sandals and cargo shorts maybe even sunglasses with croakies. 

So i enjoyed reading your top button tight tie post more than most.

:sadbanana:

• Like 2

What style of hat works for beach/poolside on a 40-year-old, non-athletic type? Figure I'm wearing a hawaiian shirt. Don't want to just throw on the trustworthy baseball cap. The fedora styles have too much baggage. What works nowadays?

21 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

What style of hat works for beach/poolside on a 40-year-old, non-athletic type? Figure I'm wearing a hawaiian shirt. Don't want to just throw on the trustworthy baseball cap. The fedora styles have too much baggage. What works nowadays?

What's the goal? Sun protection for your ears? Or just style?

2 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

What's the goal? Sun protection for your ears? Or just style?

This is key. Pretty tough to do both.

I'm not sure it's the right answer, but if you're trying to do both, I think a Panama Jack style hat could work.

After that, probably a step down, but a fun color of a bucket hat may work depending on your style.

29 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

I'm not sure it's the right answer, but if you're trying to do both, I think a Panama Jack style hat could work.

After that, probably a step down, but a fun color of a bucket hat may work depending on your style.

Hats in general are dangerous territory. Pool hats are even trickier. You can go from zero to full frat brotastic in about 3 seconds. 

1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

Let's say style

3 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with a stylish cap, you just need to elevate your :style:  This sounds like it work well with your outfit and overall profile:

https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/product/fendi/leather-trimmed-logo-appliqued-printed-coated-canvas-baseball-cap/1092017

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

a classic perhaps? there is also a summer suit option: are you familiar with the great Kolchak?

• Like 1

my advice is to 

10 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

You trying to match this look? 

https://i1.wp.com/fashionweek.pro/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/998540760.jpg?resize=2888%2C4332