What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE FBG Fashion Thread :style: (4 Viewers)

i've got a couple pair of Onistuka's. both are pretty old at this point. they are different material.. one is leather and the other is sort of a mesh fabric sort of deal.

caution: they are flat as hell and offer no support whatsoever. walking in them for a period of time can be painful.

I realize this question is a few years old but I'm just into the civilian office scene. 

So, what's the verdict on leaving the top button undone while wearing a tie? 

In my office, there's 7 male attorneys. Two of the senior attorneys always wear a tie. One senior doesn't. Two Junior attorneys wear a tie for every meeting. Two of us only put on a tie for special occasions, usually while briefing the "CEO". 

I hate having my top button buttoned. I'll do it but it's constricting even when the shirt is the right size. But when I left the top button undone Friday, it felt freeing. Looked decent, I could tighten it up or button the top in a pinch, but for most of the day it seemed a good way to go. 

Thoughts? 

FWIW, this is a federal agency with a wide variety of dress - full suits, shirt and tie, polo and jeans. The senior leadership more often wear shirt and tie, but not always and not all of them.

I realize this question is a few years old but I'm just into the civilian office scene. 

In my office, there's 7 male attorneys. Two of the senior attorneys always wear a tie. One senior doesn't. Two Junior attorneys wear a tie for every meeting. Two of us only put on a tie for special occasions, usually while briefing the "CEO". 

I hate having my top button buttoned. I'll do it but it's constricting even when the shirt is the right size. But when I left the top button undone Friday, it felt freeing. Looked decent, I could tighten it up or button the top in a pinch, but for most of the day it seemed a good way to go. 

Thoughts? 

FWIW, this is a federal agency with a wide variety of dress - full suits, shirt and tie, polo and jeans. The senior leadership more often wear shirt and tie, but not always and not all of them.
I think you're fine most days.  Button it up when you have important meetings or need to make an impression.  I definitely get the comfort thing. I often left the top unbuttoned when I was just in the office and not meeting clients (investment banking).  

Thoughts? 

Good question.

First rule of course is you do you. But if you're asking for feedback, my take is tie loosened and top button unbottoned anytime before afternoon looks sloppy. It looks like you're a server at Bennigans have to wear a tie. 

My take is if you're going to the trouble of wearing a tie, wear it sharp. 

I'd also take a look at a bigger collar size. I know some people are more sensitive to stuff like this than others but I have zero uncomfort with the top button buttoned. Good luck. 

Good question.

First rule of course is you do you. But if you're asking for feedback, my take is tie loosened and top button unbottoned anytime before afternoon looks sloppy. It looks like you're a server at Bennigans have to wear a tie. 

I'd also take a look at a bigger collar size. I know some people are more sensitive to stuff like this than others but I have zero uncomfort with the top button buttoned. Good luck. 
:goodposting:

Button the top button. If the collar bothers you, get shirts with more room. I never even notice when mine is buttoned. 

If you have a sensory issue and it just doesn't work, forget the tie and go with something else. If you have to dress it up, throw on a blazer or sportcoat. 

:goodposting:

Button the top button. If the collar bothers you, get shirts with more room. I never even notice when mine is buttoned. 

If you have a sensory issue and it just doesn't work, forget the tie and go with something else. If you have to dress it up, throw on a blazer or sportcoat. 
That has been my go to the past couple years. 

Good question.

it's amazing wait a half-size up can do for comfort in situations like this. also, bringing the tie up without it being constricting is essential. 

Good question.

I agree. The unbuttoned loose tie, sleeves rolled up look is good for a 6:00 martini after work. It’s not good for the 9:00 AM work meeting.

There are also now stretch collars for bigger necks if the shirt blouses out in fit when you move up a neck size. Add to that the emergence of skinny fit shirts, and you're likely to get a modern look even up a neck size.

I think you guys have the wrong impression of a simple top unbutton.  This is really something only you know and can't be noticed by others unless offdee is a coworker and he's perusing the office checking out other dudes.  It doesn't look sloppy like the loose tie, sleeves rolled up schtick.  Your tie is still high and just a tad looser (pretty much covers the button).  

Best advice if your office is business casual is to just wear a sports or suit coat to the office with a dress shirt.   Have a few ties handy just in case you need them for something more formal.  

I think you guys have the wrong impression of a simple top unbutton.  This is really something only you know and can't be noticed by others unless offdee is a coworker and he's perusing the office checking out other dudes.  It doesn't look sloppy like the loose tie, sleeves rolled up schtick.  Your tie is still high and just a tad looser (pretty much covers the button).  

Best advice if your office is business casual is to just wear a sports or suit coat to the office with a dress shirt.   Have a few ties handy just in case you need them for something more formal.  
I think we get it. I still say if you're going to wear a tie, wear it sharp. And in my opinion that means buttoning the top button of the shirt and having the tie where it's supposed to be, covering the top button. Not just pretty much covering. Actually, what you're hitting on is a pretty big deal. Much of style in my opinion is getting that last 5% right. 

Agreed, a dress shirt with no tie and coat would be a better look. 

I think we get it. I still say if you're going to wear a tie, wear it sharp. And in my opinion that means buttoning the top button of the shirt and having the tie where it's supposed to be, covering the top button. Not just pretty much covering. Actually, what you're hitting on is a pretty big deal. Much of style in my opinion is getting that last 5% right. 

Agreed, a dress shirt with no tie and coat would be a better look. 
Dont check in on this thread too often. Only checked because you were last reply. Not gonna lie the visual i always have of you is a dude with teva sandals and cargo shorts maybe even sunglasses with croakies. 

So i enjoyed reading your top button tight tie post more than most.

What's the goal? Sun protection for your ears? Or just style?
This is key. Pretty tough to do both.

I'm not sure it's the right answer, but if you're trying to do both, I think a Panama Jack style hat could work.

After that, probably a step down, but a fun color of a bucket hat may work depending on your style.

I'm not sure it's the right answer, but if you're trying to do both, I think a Panama Jack style hat could work.

After that, probably a step down, but a fun color of a bucket hat may work depending on your style.
Hats in general are dangerous territory. Pool hats are even trickier. You can go from zero to full frat brotastic in about 3 seconds. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What style of hat works for beach/poolside on a 40-year-old, non-athletic type? Figure I'm wearing a hawaiian shirt. Don't want to just throw on the trustworthy baseball cap. The fedora styles have too much baggage. What works nowadays?
I don't think there's anything wrong with a stylish cap, you just need to elevate your :style:  This sounds like it work well with your outfit and overall profile:

https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/product/fendi/leather-trimmed-logo-appliqued-printed-coated-canvas-baseball-cap/1092017

GroveDiesel said:

I’ve got a bucket hat that my wife and kids HATE but I don’t give a crap because it keeps the sun off my dome, ears and neck.

I’ve got a bucket hat that my wife and kids HATE but I don’t give a crap because it keeps the sun off my dome, ears and neck.
Agreed. Hate is not an uncommon reaction to the bucket hat. That's why I was asking whether it was for style or for sun protection. 

For sun protection, which is a completely good goal, the Stetson bucket is probably the best bet. 

Sure to be incredibly old news for you AvantGardeGuys, but the midtown uniform has gotten ridiurous.  Yet, living in Nothern California where the weather fluctuates significantly, I have appreciated the MU's flexibility.  RIPMU.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/on-and-off-the-avenue/goldman-sachs-patagonia-and-the-mysteries-of-business-casual

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-midtown-uniform-is-now-in-peril-as-patagonia-isnt-accepting-new-finance-clients-for-its-ubiquitous-fleece-vests-2019-4

https://www.instagram.com/midtownuniform/?hl=en

Reminds me of LAMSS from the early oughts.

I am not a fan of the Midtown Uniform. That's for guys in college that wore Patagonia all the time at schools that wanted to be havens for Deadhead investment bankers. 
My wife bought me a black burberry vest that I wore the #### out of until the patagonia craze.  Have since hung it up.  It's a great weight for around here, but tired.

Who or what are LAMSS? 
From a blog post back in early oughts when every post-collegiate city bro had a striped shirt on.  Shortly thereafter, striped shirts started to die off.

"Look at my button down striped shirt! ####### look at it! This shirt means one thing! I’m coming home with some ##### tonight! That’s right! It’s been a long week at the office and it’s time to blow off a little steam! I am a Junior Vice President! I have business cards that say “Junior Vice President” on them! They’re glossy and magnificent! Here! Have one! Take it!

My boys are coming out with me tonight! They all have striped shirts too! 

I figure we’ll kick off the night with some Golden Tee! I am going to smack the #### out of that little white ball! It’s going to be so ####### loud! I’ll bet I can drive that pretend golf ball 600 ####### yards tonight! I’m that ####### pumped!

I can almost taste those Jager Bombs right now! I ####### love Red Bull! I put it on my ### ####ed cereal! I’m crushing one right now! 

I’m thinking about buying a boat this year! 

I’m gonna fight someone tonight! I pray to God someone makes eye contact with me! I will beat his ###! And God help him if he gets any blood on my striped shirt! If he does, I’ll scrub it out with his #### and some bleach! I mean it!

I’m gonna grind on girls asses tonight! You heard me! When I see a group of girls dancing in a circle, I will select the most attractive one and dry hump her until it hurts! I will rub my #### against her so that she can feel my throbbing ####!

I will valet tonight!

I will treat the valet with contempt and make sure that he knows that I am superior to him in life! I will tell him to “Take it easy on the brakes, Champ”!

I will talk to people I don’t know about my job tonight! They will all know that I am an important man! I will call female bartenders “Babe” and male bartenders “Chief”! 

When I do not hook up with a girl at that club, I will say that the place is “full of skanks”! We will wait in a long line to go to another bar only to strike out again! 

I will give up and decide to order a gyro off of a street vendor! I will make fun of him to my friends for being foreign! I will look ridiculous purchasing my gyro because people will be able to tell by my striped shirt and tinted sunglasses that I struck out and am settling for a gyro! 

I will make one last attempt to hook up by trying to coax two big girls who are also ordering gyros to coming back to my place for “after hours”! When they say no I will make fun of them for being fat! I will leave!

When I get home I will go to the bathroom and hold the straight razor to my wrist again! I will gently drag the razor laterally against my vein, making sure not to actually cut myself!

I will then go to my room and pass out! I will need some shut eye so that I’ll be ready to ####### party again tomorrow!"

Sure to be incredibly old news for you AvantGardeGuys, but the midtown uniform has gotten ridiurous.  Yet, living in Nothern California where the weather fluctuates significantly, I have appreciated the MU's flexibility.  RIPMU.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/on-and-off-the-avenue/goldman-sachs-patagonia-and-the-mysteries-of-business-casual

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-midtown-uniform-is-now-in-peril-as-patagonia-isnt-accepting-new-finance-clients-for-its-ubiquitous-fleece-vests-2019-4

https://www.instagram.com/midtownuniform/?hl=en

Reminds me of LAMSS from the early oughts.
Haha.  I've always hated those f'n vests even when I worked on Wall St.  And jb, nothing wrong with the vest you posted.  I think that still gets a pass.  

Let's talk business shoes. 

I wore out the bottom of my go to pair after two years. These were adequate I bought right before joining the non-boot-wearing workforce, office setting. Not expensive, probably not worth resoleing.  Dockers, comfortable and look good (IMO) not they're ready to be put out to pasture.

Are $200+ shoes for the office really worth it?  Where do you find the best shoes for a good value? I'll probably have to hide the cost from my wife, she won't be happy if I'm paying more than $100 for shoes. 

Looking for some summer shoes to wear with shorts and jut can`t seem to find some that catch my eye.   No flip flops or sandals.

Summer shoes: 

https://www.colehaan.com/2.zerogrand-laser-wingtip-oxford-magnet-ironstone-stitchlite/C27565.html

By far the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever owned. I wear them sockless and between the material and breathability they are incredible.

Look great with shorts, slacks, or nice jeans. Most complemented footwear I’ve ever owned. They are wearing pretty well thus far as well. Just ordered another pair in bright blue. Lots of color options. 

Cannot recommend highly enough. 

Looking for some summer shoes to wear with shorts and jut can`t seem to find some that catch my eye.   No flip flops or sandals.

Let's talk business shoes. 

I wore out the bottom of my go to pair after two years. These were adequate I bought right before joining the non-boot-wearing workforce, office setting. Not expensive, probably not worth resoleing.  Dockers, comfortable and look good (IMO) not they're ready to be put out to pasture.

Are $200+ shoes for the office really worth it?  Where do you find the best shoes for a good value? I'll probably have to hide the cost from my wife, she won't be happy if I'm paying more than $100 for shoes. 
Allen Edmonds is still probably the best bet for dress/office shoes in the $150-$300 range (never pay full retail). They are (mostly) made in USA and most models are made to be re-soled.

Users who are viewing this thread