Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
offdee

THE FBG Fashion Thread :style:

19 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

So headed to Portugal/Spain.  Time to go shopping.  Need to pick up some good pants for travels and the some GREAT polo shirts to have flexibility.  So where do I shop for the best polo shirts? I'm a noob.  Strictly Nordstrom polos or the Calvin Klein's on sale at Costco.  Don't worry it's not my only fashion but want in a pinch..Also how about some great lightweight short sleeve shirts for shirts untucked? Only have 2 weeks until I go so no custom ordering..

You strike me as a Gucci guy.  Their polos are timeless:  

https://www.gucci.com/us/en/pr/men/mens-ready-to-wear/mens-t-shirts-polos/cotton-polo-with-web-collar-p-408321X73319060

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr. furley said:

those jeggings are ridiculous, tho

Ha.  Didn't even notice that.  Please don't report me.  I realize the yoga pants thread got shut down for a reason.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2019 at 7:26 PM, Judge Smails said:
On 9/12/2019 at 5:42 PM, Major said:

$495.  Must have mistaken me for Chet

that model looks like something that was leftover from a Decemberists concert.  

• Laughing 1

Just now, Binky The Doormat said:

that model looks like something that was leftover from a Decemberists concert.  

With a sadly noticeable banana hammock for jean fit. 

14 hours ago, shuke said:

$37.99

sale must be over :shrug:

On 9/12/2019 at 8:30 AM, Da Guru said:

Was in Chicago last month for work and one of the guys get tickets for our group to a Cub game.  It was only a 2 days trip and I did not bring any type of casual comfortable shoes to wear out.  I run out to Nordstrom's to see if I can find something.  I have plenty of shoes at home so I don`t want to spend much and ran across these on sale for around 30 bucks.    https://www.amazon.com/Ben-Sherman-Percy-Laceless-Sneakers/dp/B07N7J47M7

They looked OK to wear with jeans and were very comfortable so I bought them.   We were with a group of 12 people and one of the younger ladies says.  "Where did you get those shoes?"   I tell her and she says she is getting a pair for her hubby the next day.  Then 2 of the guys say they like the shoes and I am thinking I have worn 200 dollar shoes and nobody says a word.  Now I am getting compliments on a cheap pair of canvas shoes? Maybe I should order more if the different colors. 

I love the light gray ones. Gotta keep my eye on the next sale.

looking for some casual boots to wear with jeans

this is a regular problem for me. i search & search, give up, then randomly stumble across a pair that are at least passable for the season. haven't stumbled across any pairs i like for this winter.. which means i'm stuck wearing the same pair i've had the last 4 winters. they're worn flat, beat to hell & have no more grip on the sole. it's going to be like walking on black ice. 

as my wife likes to say i'm "super picky". i'm not a fan of the dress boot look. not a fan of the Doc Martens look. don't want construction type boots. 

in the past i've tended to wear moc toe boots most & in the distant past Timberland field boots.

the trouble now is, locally, there aren't places for men to shop for things like this. there's not much in between Payless and dress shoes/boots at places that sell men's suits. 

what are the online outlets for casual men's boots? i can find Amazon and Zappos just fine but which sites specialize in men's boots? are there specific online retailers with a large selection i'm missing?

this is a regular problem for me. i search & search, give up, then randomly stumble across a pair that are at least passable for the season. haven't stumbled across any pairs i like for this winter.. which means i'm stuck wearing the same pair i've had the last 4 winters. they're worn flat, beat to hell & have no more grip on the sole. it's going to be like walking on black ice. 

as my wife likes to say i'm "super picky". i'm not a fan of the dress boot look. not a fan of the Doc Martens look. don't want construction type boots. 

in the past i've tended to wear moc toe boots most & in the distant past Timberland field boots.

the trouble now is, locally, there aren't places for men to shop for things like this. there's not much in between Payless and dress shoes/boots at places that sell men's suits. 

what are the online outlets for casual men's boots? i can find Amazon and Zappos just fine but which sites specialize in men's boots? are there specific online retailers with a large selection i'm missing?

Say no more fam.  Barneys is your one stop shop for all booting needs.  I'd lean toward something like this.  5% off as well:

https://www.barneys.com/product/amiri-bandana-strap-suede-jodhpur-boots-505717195.html

• Love 2
  • Laughing 2

Just now, Major said:

Say no more fam.  Barneys is your one stop shop for all booting needs.  I'd lean toward something like this.  5% off as well:

https://www.barneys.com/product/amiri-bandana-strap-suede-jodhpur-boots-505717195.html

picked up one in each color  :hifive:

2 hours ago, mr. furley said:

Red Wing boots.  Their wheelhouse is "construction style" boots as you call them, but they have moc toe, and other styles as well.  They are not cheap, but very well made.  And, when the sole wears out, just send them in to get re-soled and the boots you love and have broken in are like new.

I have a pair of Iron Rangers, a year and a half old.  Wear them 4-5 days a week and the soles barely look worn yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mr. furley said:

as my wife likes to say i'm "super picky". 

I think the word you are looking for is fickle based off your other posts in here

Boots are something I am willing to spend on.  First, they are like double the material of shoes.  Second, nice boots get noticed.  Third, nice boots feel great on your feet

I am a big Paul Smith fan for boots.  You can get them on sale if you watch

https://www.paulsmith.com/us/mens/shoes/boots

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wilked said:

I think the word you are looking for is fickle based off your other posts in here

Boots are something I am willing to spend on.  First, they are like double the material of shoes.  Second, nice boots get noticed.  Third, nice boots feel great on your feet

i'm quite the opposite of fickle. tend to stick with what i know and ride it out for a long time. hence, somewhat being stuck in a boot rut and trying to find a way to break out of it.  i'm ready for something new but i'm having a hard time changing.

11 hours ago, mr. furley said:

Bought a pair of Samuel Hubbard’s Re-boot and love them for their comfort

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nugget said:

I'm bringing back duck boots.  Who's with me?

Every 14 year old girl at my daughter's middle, er, high school.  Boot cut, tho.  You can have the loafers, Dad.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Major said:

all :style: schtick aside, you really can't go wrong with Frye boots.  Classic styles that hold up and great quality.  Lots of nice looks for $50 off.  Major recommends the Scout Boot or the Korver Utility:  https://www.thefryecompany.com/collections/men-promo-boots

When they made them in the US, the quality was impeccable. They had a factory in upstate NY that I was able to call into and get the last 2 pair of boots in a particular style that was planned to be discontinued. They took my order right over the phone and shipped them the next day. Since moving the production facilities to, irrc, Mexico about 15 years ago the quality has been spotty. 

22 hours ago, wilked said:

One of my projects this year was a loft in Soho...the street level space in the building was used for rotating sample sales, so I'd stop in after my weekly site meetings if there was men's stuff. I bought a pair of Paul Smith sneakers and boots at one...love both. Either are usually too much for my blood, even on normal sale, but got both for 100. Wish I had bought another couple pairs tbh.

ETA... And I'll throw my hat behind the Frye and red wing suggestions too...epsecially the latter, which are typically more "work boot" which imo makes them cooler than "style" boots that are meant to look like work boots.

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 2

On 11/4/2019 at 1:29 PM, Major said:

Btw... Barney's is done. But maybe they'll keep a presence around...online or a pop-up here and there. Wonder what this means for the separately owned "Barney's" Warehouse sale.

Barneys - the high-end department store known for its designer offerings - filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in August.

On October 16, bankruptcy filings revealed plans for a new $271 million deal in which Authentic Brands Group - owner of brands like Nine West, Nautica, and Volcom - and investment firm B. Riley Financial would buy the Barneys name and assets.

All stores would close under the deal, though talks are ongoing for a few, including the massive Madison Avenue flagship, to stay open, a source told the Wall Street Journal

And just remembered the brand To Boot being great for quality work (office, not construction) boots. I still have a pair from the 90s- replaced the sole once or twice, but still looks decent.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2019 at 7:54 PM, wilked said:

These seem particularly furley.

• Laughing 1

On 11/7/2019 at 8:31 AM, El Floppo said:

And just remembered the brand To Boot being great for quality work (office, not construction) boots. I still have a pair from the 90s- replaced the sole once or twice, but still looks decent.

TBNY is quality. I had a pair that I picked up for a song at Century 21 back in the day. I re-soled them 1x and probably had them for 10 years.

On 11/4/2019 at 10:34 PM, Nugget said:

I'm bringing back duck boots.  Who's with me?

That already happened a year or 2 ago

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 2:07 PM, EYLive said:

I love the light gray ones. Gotta keep my eye on the next sale.

I decided to order these, and love the look and feel. My wife really likes them too. I'm kinda tempted to get the brown ones now.

wound up picking up some boots from Palladium. they're waterproof so a nice winter fit for me. took them on a walk through the snow Saturday morning and had no issues with comfort, dampness, etc.

they'll fit a niche i need for this season :thumbup: 

still on the prowl for something a little less... utilitarian

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

wound up picking up some boots from Palladium. they're waterproof so a nice winter fit for me. took them on a walk through the snow Saturday morning and had no issues with comfort, dampness, etc.

they'll fit a niche i need for this season :thumbup: 

still on the prowl for something a little less... utilitarian

Had a pair in HS

• Like 1

Red wings and wolverines for boots.  Don't bother looking elsewhere.

12 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

That already happened a year or 2 ago

Not in KS. Not for men in their 40’s. 

had some trusty leather boots that held up for about 5 seasons until i wore the soles down to basically mirror smooth. couldn't wear them in the winter anymore because they were too slippery. leather was in great shape, just the soles were shot.

i'd never had a pair of boots re-soled so i sort of wrote the boots off as unwearable and was on the brink of trashing them.  decided instead to check on a re-sole price. found a local place that does it and spent the cash to have it done.

just got them back today.  fresh new Vibram soles and a leather reconditioning. totally worth it. would recommend.

• Like 2

had some trusty leather boots that held up for about 5 seasons until i wore the soles down to basically mirror smooth. couldn't wear them in the winter anymore because they were too slippery. leather was in great shape, just the soles were shot.

i'd never had a pair of boots re-soled so i sort of wrote the boots off as unwearable and was on the brink of trashing them.  decided instead to check on a re-sole price. found a local place that does it and spent the cash to have it done.

just got them back today.  fresh new Vibram soles and a leather reconditioning. totally worth it. would recommend.

The boots that I am wearing right now (black ropers), I bought in 1990. I have no clue how many times they have been resoled, but it's lots. They are all seasons / every day attire as well. 

Other than an Onkyo receiver & JBL speakers that I bought in '89, this may be the longest lasting purchase I have on record. I bought by house in '93, and it has required more work than my ropers. 

Speaking of ... do you know Mr. Roper, or had he already moved out before your arrival? 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 9:04 PM, Major said:

all :style: schtick aside, you really can't go wrong with Frye boots.  Classic styles that hold up and great quality.  Lots of nice looks for $50 off.  Major recommends the Scout Boot or the Korver Utility:  https://www.thefryecompany.com/collections/men-promo-boots

https://www.thefryecompany.com/products/essex-chukka-shearling-3481316-81316-cognac

Getting these.  Just classic really.  Thanks for the suggestion Major

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2019 at 2:02 PM, Worm said:

Wanted:

Business casual button down shirts

Fitted, size large TALL only

~$50 or less

Doable? I'm having a hard time. There are some at Express, but solids only. I'm looking for some patterned options (think https://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=491177012#pdp-page-content )

Jos A Bank. 

13 minutes ago, Spike said:

Jos A Bank. 

I ended up getting Nordstrom brand shirts. They are exactly what I was looking for. $40 each.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Jos A Bank. 

Their no-iron traveler shirts are awesome.   I wait for the sales at $33/shirt they have a couple of times a year or can find my size occasionally on their clearance stuff for $25/each

• Like 1

I decided I wanted to dabble in Cashmere and picked up this recently. First, cashmere is glorious. Second, I am tall and the arms are a wee bit shorter than I would have liked. Anyone have tips on a good brand that may support XLT?

Posted (edited)

Never watch morning TV but am off today.  Saw a NY "fashion" lady on saying skinny-tight suits for men are on the way out.  The gangster oversized suits are on the way in. Double breasted suits and sports coats are back in. 

Also the 70s-80s wider collars for men's dress shirts are coming back as well.  Shorter shorts for men are in, mini skirts and micro minis for women are in..(I like that)  Bell bottom or flared jeans for women are in (Don`t like that)

Edited by Da Guru

16 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

Never watch morning TV but am off today.  Saw a NY "fashion" lady on saying skinny-tight suits for men are on the way out.  The gangster oversized suits are on the way in. Double breasted suits and sports coats are back in.  

Also the 70s-80s wider collars for men's dress shirts are coming back as well.  Shorter shorts for men are in, mini skirts and micro minis for women are in..(I like that)  Bell bottom or flared jeans for women are in (Don`t like that)

From a "fashion" perspective?  Maybe.  But, a well fitting suit with traditional lapels are always in style.

There are so many collar choices for men, I can't see any coming in or going out of style.  Wear what you like.

3 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

From a "fashion" perspective?  Maybe.  But, a well fitting suit with traditional lapels are always in style.

There are so many collar choices for men, I can't see any coming in or going out of style.  Wear what you like.

I agree, she was basically talking trends for fashion type men and women.  Trends take time to take hold. Just think when skinny/small suits first came out most everybody said how ridiculous they look then they took hold.   Even on NFL pre-game shows where the ex-players try to look stylish I see the suits getting a little bigger and looser.

1 hour ago, Da Guru said:

Steve Harvey finally has his moment in the sun.

• Like 1