What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE FBG Fashion Thread :style: (4 Viewers)

Just don't put on any white sneakers with jeans....huge fashion noob mistake.
Can you explain to me how thats a mistake? I own a couple pairs of casual sneakers in white. Which i wear with light colored jeans and a shirt that matches the color scheme of the shoe. I.E. White and blue sneakers and have the outfit match. Not a good look?
Fin is kidding...you can search for an old thread of his from a while back where he was claiming some other FBG said it's a bad look and we went about squashing that idea.White casual sneakers with jeans is a solid casual look so no worries there. Here are a few things I'd say to watch out for though from your statement..- Jeans: darker wash is always better. Stay away from lighter washed jeans as they tend to sway towards 80's fashion and can skew down the avenue of looking sonewashed at times (not good). Dark jeans match with everything.- Being "matchy matchy" isn't always a good thing. The outfit then tends to come off as if it was just bought straight off the store mannequin. If the colors throughout your outfit are all complimentary than you're golden. It's Ok to have a shade of green in your shoe and not have green anywhere in your pants/shirt/jacket.
PM Shuke. He calls the shots....I just follow them.

Just don't put on any white sneakers with jeans....huge fashion noob mistake.
Can you explain to me how thats a mistake? I own a couple pairs of casual sneakers in white. Which i wear with light colored jeans and a shirt that matches the color scheme of the shoe. I.E. White and blue sneakers and have the outfit match. Not a good look?
Fin is kidding...you can search for an old thread of his from a while back where he was claiming some other FBG said it's a bad look and we went about squashing that idea.White casual sneakers with jeans is a solid casual look so no worries there. Here are a few things I'd say to watch out for though from your statement..- Jeans: darker wash is always better. Stay away from lighter washed jeans as they tend to sway towards 80's fashion and can skew down the avenue of looking sonewashed at times (not good). Dark jeans match with everything.- Being "matchy matchy" isn't always a good thing. The outfit then tends to come off as if it was just bought straight off the store mannequin. If the colors throughout your outfit are all complimentary than you're golden. It's Ok to have a shade of green in your shoe and not have green anywhere in your pants/shirt/jacket.
Thanks for the advice. I usually go with a darker jean just so the the shoes will stick out more. But i went with a lighter wash because i was gonna be out in the sun all day. Figured i wouldn't be as hot with a lighter wash of jean. A solid white lacoste polo and a blue undershirt. It looked pretty good. Got nothing but compliments on the outfit.

Had a discussion with some friends while at lunch. So i pose this question to some of you FBG's. Do you fashion conscious FBG's regard yourselves as pretty boy's? Some of my friends apparently think that if you are into fashion and matching your outfit it makes you a pretty boy. Mind you im from a small city in florida (apopka). Where i guess "real" men wear a regular shirt wrangler jeans and some dickies work boots. So what say you guys?
I don't regard myself as a pretty boy at all, since I am more of the blue collar type but I just like to wear matching/fit nice clothes. I wasn't always that way, but once I started being much more conscience about my clothes I remember over hearing one of my friends say to another "What's with him looking all GQ?" and I just chuckled to myself. I don't really care if other people think I'm a pretty boy or anything else since I wear the clothes because I like to :goodposting:
Well the guys I hang out with are all into looking good and having things match and somehow working in their hobbies in their style. Like wearing a gaming shirt if you are into video games. So they aren't like that. But some of the guys i used to work with were with us at lunch. Their sense of style is wearing a shirt with the confederate flag on it and some wranglers. So i don't pay attention to what they believe.But i just thought that would be a good question to ask you guys.

Had a discussion with some friends while at lunch. So i pose this question to some of you FBG's. Do you fashion conscious FBG's regard yourselves as pretty boy's? Some of my friends apparently think that if you are into fashion and matching your outfit it makes you a pretty boy. Mind you im from a small city in florida (apopka). Where i guess "real" men wear a regular shirt wrangler jeans and some dickies work boots. So what say you guys?
I don't regard myself as a pretty boy at all, since I am more of the blue collar type but I just like to wear matching/fit nice clothes. I wasn't always that way, but once I started being much more conscience about my clothes I remember over hearing one of my friends say to another "What's with him looking all GQ?" and I just chuckled to myself. I don't really care if other people think I'm a pretty boy or anything else since I wear the clothes because I like to :loco:
:goodposting: My best friend was always the very casual clothes wearer and didn't care all that much about fashion. His wife always tried to steer him down that road, but he was just never buying it....was just more comfortable in baggy jeans, oversized shirt and dirty baseball hat. He's a little bigger guy so I guess he just thought wearing well fitted clothes was never an option for him. Finally, I convinced him to just go and try on a nice pair of higher end jeans and go down a size shirt that he's normally used to. At first it was uncomfortable to him because it felt "tight" when actuality it just fit correctly and his body wasn't used to it. But, as the night progressed he realized how much of a difference it felt and more importantly just made him feel and actually look "skinnier" because his clothes weren't hanging off of him anymore. He's told me many times since than how much his confidence has grown just by the change in clothes and gets compliments on his new look left and right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you guys think about skinny jeans? Is that fashionable at all? I'm not into wearing super tight fitting jeans. I look skinny enough with regular fit jeans.

What do you guys think about skinny jeans? Is that fashionable at all? I'm not into wearing super tight fitting jeans. I look skinny enough with regular fit jeans.
It's somewhat in style now, but definitely not my thing personally. I think it's more of the style for the younger emo Twilight type crowd."Well fitting" and "Tight" jeans are definitely two different things. Just make sure they fit somewhat snug around your waist/butt/crotch region and then have some roominess in the legs. Nothing worse than a pair of jeans that are too big around the waist that with a belt get all bunched up, or your crotch hangs so low it looks like you have a load in your pants.Everyone's body is different and all jeans fit differently. Make sure you ALWAYS try them on before buying them because one brand's size is much different than another brand's size. If you find a pair that you really like but they just don't fit perfectly, get the ones that are a little bit roomier and take them into a tailor to have them fitted properly for you. Jeans can be easily tailored and can usually be done for around $20-$30.....for the amount of time you wear and own those jeans the investment is worth it to have them fit perfectly and make you feel great in them.I usually invest in nicer jeans, and even then, out of the 6 or so pair I regularly wear I think I had 3 of them tailored to fit me better.

Unless you're on a ranch, never wear tight jeans. Fitting, yes. Tight, no.
So i got one against skinny jeans. Which i totally agree with. Anyone here think they are fashionable to wear?
This is about as tight as you should go. This is just wrong.

So i got one against skinny jeans. Which i totally agree with. Anyone here think they are fashionable to wear?
That's what i'm talking about. How are those in style? I have friends who wear that and i just don't see the appeal. Do women even like that look?

That's what i'm talking about. How are those in style? I have friends who wear that and i just don't see the appeal. Do women even like that look?
Women, not a chance.emokiddy girls, sometimes...if the boy is in a band it's okay.

Women, not a chance. emokiddy girls, sometimes...if the boy is in a band it's okay.
So skinny jeans is more of a teenage style.
Seems like it. I certainly wouldn't suggest it to anyone I care about.
Agree to disagree? Skinny jeans are a must have for the FBG crowd, especially if you're 200+ lbs. Wear them to your next FF draft. You'll be all the rage and the cool guy at the draft.

Women, not a chance. emokiddy girls, sometimes...if the boy is in a band it's okay.
Agree to disagree? Skinny jeans are a must have for the FBG crowd, especially if you're 200+ lbs. Wear them to your next FF draft. You'll be all the rage and the cool guy at the draft.
pair them with a pink polo, pink crocs, an anklet and a pinky/thumb ring and you're golden :shrug:maybe a cowboy hat too.

pair them with a pink polo, pink crocs, an anklet and a pinky/thumb ring and you're golden :shrug:maybe a cowboy hat too.
Don't forget the goggles over the cowboy hat

In regards to the BBQ afternoon/night attire question.....definitely keep it simple. Nice pair of well fitting jeans (I'm not a shorts guy personally), simple V-Neck short sleeved T-shirt with no design (just white or light colored), aviator style sunglasses and possibly a simple short-billed cadet hat (if you're a hat guy).

The rest of your question is a dangerous one to answer in these parts...I have a feeling no matter how I answer the first part I'll get flamed endlessly. Let me stress...I DO NOT THINK THAT I LOOK LIKE THESE PEOPLE, but I tend to consider myself inspired by a mixture of styles between Justin Timberlake, Brad Pitt and David Beckhum. I like mixing and matching patterns and texures, well fitting tailored clothes and very big into layering shirts/sweaters/jackets, etc.

My age: 33 years old

My normal work style is something along these lines..

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk161/o...us/IMG_1344.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk161/o...us/IMG_1345.jpg

:confused:

OK, I can't look that sweet all the time, so the below are a few pics of what I may mix and match for work (advertising agency for me), casual night out or art gallery/museum/dinner type event just for visual examples of MY PERSONAL TASTES.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk161/o...n/IMG_08132.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk161/o...n/IMG_10212.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk161/o...n/IMG_05272.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk161/o...n/IMG_05882.jpg

Let me finally say I completely realize everyone has different tastes and express themselves through fashion differently and that's excellent. I don't expect everyone to like the clothes I wear or the views I have and that's fine..at least it can get some conversation going and something for all to think about and consider at least. I feel I have a decent sense of what's going on the fashion world overall (many of which I would NEVER wear myself, but I can still respect and appreciate it) so can hopefully lend some insight to guys here who just want to look a bit more polished and updated but don't really know where to even start. Hopefully myself, Rocky Dennis, Finless (and I'm sure others who I've seen post solid fashion advice in the past) can help lend some helpful thoughts.
Yo, you have some very wearable items in your closet. :unsure: Jeans is a perfectly good choice. Not everyone has gladiator legs. I have no problem with the white sketchers but Converse canvas is more my thing.

Following post copied and pasted from my advice within an older thread for tips on buying that one solid staple suit necessary for any guy's arsenal to have at the ready. (work dinner, funeral, anniversary celebration, wedding, etc.).

----------------------------

I avoid the wholesale type places like Men's Wearhouse. I'd probably start off at Boston Store type place and see what there selection is like and go from there...then for sure get it tailored to properly fit you.

Some tips:

- No double breasted jackets or 4 button jackets.....go with 3 or 2 buttons. 2 buttons with a higher stance are coming back into style now and are suggested. (little tip: always leave the bottom button unbottoned....if 3 button suit, only button the top two buttons. If 2 button suit, only button the single top button)

- No pleats on the pants. Also for the leg hem, get no cuff...looks smoother and more tailored.

- I'd avoid true Navy Blue...tough to match up the belt and shoes properly. Brown suits are just kind of lame to me. Since this will be your one main go-to suit stick with greys, charcoals, and blacks as will be more timeless and can be worn to many different occasions. (Midnight blue is also a solid choice...it's a very dark navy blue that almost looks black)

- a subtle pattern is nice and makes the suit a little less formal, but don't get crazy with it. Leave the thick pinstripes and checkerboard pattern to Michael Irvin.

- One thing these days which shows off a nice, modern suit compared to a cheap standard suit is the pocket design on the front. The cooler suits now a days have 2 pockets right on top of each other on one side and only one pocket on the other side...kind of an assymetrical thing.

Like this:

http://www.stylenerds.com/site/wp-content/...8/12/suits1.jpg

if you really want to add some flavor to it some "trends" these days:

- small pocket square showing

- wide, visible tie clip

- skinnier lapels on the jacket (careful with this one though as this could go out of style fast...it's in now though)

All of these can be seen here (also shows the "double pocket" I was referring to earlier)

http://keepingitreal.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8...1b2fc970b-800wi

My cowboy hat with shorts,t shirt, and sandals still ok?

I am fairly tan and I am getting in better shape.

My cowboy hat with shorts,t shirt, and sandals still ok?I am fairly tan and I am getting in better shape.
You'll have to give a better description of the items to know if it's OK or not. Not OK = baggy t-shirt, carpenter jorts and Teva sandalsOK = well fitted t-shirt (v-neck preferred) with solid color or subtle graphic, khaki cargo shorts with streamlined cargo pockets with short length down to the mid/bottom of the kneecap, and flip flops or simple leather open toed slip on sandals.Being tan and in great shape has nothing to do with being in style. More often than not, the colors you wear and the fit/cut of the clothes make you look bigger or skinnier than you actually are.Either way though, you should probably lose the cowboy hat

My cowboy hat with shorts,t shirt, and sandals still ok?I am fairly tan and I am getting in better shape.
You'll have to give a better description of the items to know if it's OK or not. Not OK = baggy t-shirt, carpenter jorts and Teva sandalsOK = well fitted t-shirt (v-neck preferred) with solid color or subtle graphic, khaki cargo shorts with streamlined cargo pockets with short length down to the mid/bottom of the kneecap, and flip flops or simple leather open toed slip on sandals.Being tan and in great shape has nothing to do with being in style. More often than not, the colors you wear and the fit/cut of the clothes make you look bigger or skinnier than you actually are.Either way though, you should probably lose the cowboy hat
Spring training t shirt, brown sandals that look like flip flops but nicer,big broken in white cowboy hat, dark green plaid shorts.

What would you wear to a 4th of July BBQ tomorrow afternoon?

J
In regards to the BBQ afternoon/night attire question.....definitely keep it simple. Nice pair of well fitting jeans (I'm not a shorts guy personally), simple V-Neck short sleeved T-shirt with no design (just white or light colored), aviator style sunglasses and possibly a simple short-billed cadet hat (if you're a hat guy).
Visuals from my 4th of July attire yesterday to coincide with my thoughts above.Cookout/hangout during the day:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk161/o...on/IMG_1505.jpg

Night out downtown with some college buddies:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk161/o...n/IMG_14742.jpg

what do you recommend for us that can't buy clothes off the rack? i have a 14-18" drop on my suits....tia

My casual wear consists of cargo shorts and t-shirts from 10Ks or local bars along with sandals or running shoes (depending on how much walking I plan on doing) and some framless Maui Jims (thanks, Mad Cow!). What's the verdict?

My casual wear consists of cargo shorts and t-shirts from 10Ks or local bars along with sandals or running shoes (depending on how much walking I plan on doing) and some framless Maui Jims (thanks, Mad Cow!). What's the verdict?
:yes: but I'm not a FashionGuy :wall:

J
Visuals from my 4th of July attire yesterday to coincide with my thoughts above.Cookout/hangout during the day:

Liking the sneakers and jeans from the first pic.

what do you recommend for us that can't buy clothes off the rack? i have a 14-18" drop on my suits....tia
Unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience dealing with this so don't have much personal advice to give. But, I did a quick Google search and came across the below forum thread which may possibly give some solid advice for you...some quotes copied and pasted:

- have you considered MTM or Bespoke?

- Stores that sell as separates are your best first bet. In the UK & Ireland, Marks and Spencers does this. So, I would assume that Brooks Brothers would too. And budget permitting, MTM is going to be a better course. Zegna's MTM offering is excellent.

- Probably my best fitting suit is Zegna "Su Misura". I assume that is is authentic. Even if not, it is a lovely piece......I was just about to ask how Zegna fit you as I have found them to have a very athletic cut as far as the chest to waist ratio, but, they seem to run a little small through the arms and thighs

- Like any other MTM offering, it depends on a good salesperson/tailor to take you through the options but, essentially, they can make a suit to fit your specific measurements. Other choices can be made around material, lapel shape, buttons, lining, etc., etc., etc., .... It's not bespoke. If you can afford bespoke or can find a good local bespoke tailor you should go for that instead. However, failing that, the Zegna programme is good, the suits are good. Just make sure you know what you want down to the last detial and ask for it.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=82622

J

not liking the jeans in either photo...but I'm a big denim snob

I have noticed this difference from the jean links you've posted. Majority of my jeans seem to be a little more on the distressed/casual style and yours steers towards the glossier/sleek denim (which tend to coincide with being a bit more espensive as well)I do have one solid pair of black William Rast jeans that would be up your alley, but as much as I preach investing in nicer jeans I can't bring myself to drop that kind of coin on one pair of jeans all too often.

J

What brands do you like? I'm looking to branch out from brands other than all the urban brands.

J

What brands do you like? I'm looking to branch out from brands other than all the urban brands.
Jeans are tough to recommend b/c they're so dependent on how they fit you. One pair can look great on a friend and look terrible on me. If you live in NYC or LA you can easily try on a lot of great lines and see what works for you. Best quality denim for the price is APC (around $140). The brands I like best are Nudie, Paul Smith and Rogan. They're not cheap but I generally wait for sample sales and get them for about $100/pair. If you don't want to spend over $100/pair look into Mavi. They fit great and are decent quality for the price. Whatever you do, don't go spending $150 on a POS pair of Diesel or True Religions.As for colors, I'd recommend going dark. I like dark blue and black jeans.

Summer attire for guys is a tough one for me. I'm not a big shorts and sandals guy personally, but understand that in the summer it's a necessity and when it's hot out comfort is key.Here's what my thoughts would be for your post:

- Cargo shorts are OK to me....just make sure the pockets are somewhat streamlined to the leg...not a big fan of the shorts that have pockets that stick out 4" from the leg and look like you have a bag lunch packed away in there. Also make sure the length is appropriate....my rule of thumb is just below the bottom of the kneecap. When I wear shorts I also tend to go up a size in the waist than what I wear for pants....I personally like my shorts to be a little bit baggier and have a little hang to them compared to pants. A snug fitting shirt with slightly baggier shorts is a solid summer look IMO.

- Personally I'm not a big fan of the marathon, local bar, softball league, Intramural champ T-shirt thing. I feel it comes off as cheap looking. Now, if the shirt has a subtle design or a funny saying or picture or something that's a conversation starter than I'm all for it, but more often than not I'm more of a fan of just a solid color T-shirt (v-neck preferred. Bonus points if the t-shirt looks a little vintage and washed out or faded). More simple and classic.

- Sandals or running shoes are fine. Just be careful with the running shoes....make sure they aren't bulky cross-trainers. Shoes with shorts should lean towards being more of a streamlined "athletic type" looking shoe and keep em simple. All white or incorporating one color is better. Subtle is always better in my opinion.

- Also be careful with the socks when wearing sneakers....I prefer no socks or very short (below the ankle bone height where you can't really see them anyways) if you're the kind of person who gets weirded out by not wearing socks with shoes.

- Thumbs up on the shades!

Visual of what I'm trying to explain...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HE7ZiqYDIW0/RqhN...shorts!.JPG

I have noticed this difference from the jean links you've posted. Majority of my jeans seem to be a little more on the distressed/casual style and yours steers towards the glossier/sleek denim (which tend to coincide with being a bit more espensive as well)I do have one solid pair of black William Rast jeans that would be up your alley, but as much as I preach investing in nicer jeans I can't bring myself to drop that kind of coin on one pair of jeans all too often.
Just checked out the Rast jeans and they look good....I like this pair of black jeans...http://www.revolveclothing.com/DisplayProd...am+Rast&d=b

As for price, it depends on what your budget is and what you consider important. To me a great pair of jeans and a cheap t shirt are all that i need. I used to cringe at spending $200 for jeans, now I see brands like Dior selling for $500+ and it makes me feel a little better...I try to get my ish on sale though...rarely pay retail especially in this economy.

I don't regard myself as a pretty boy at all, since I am more of the blue collar type but I just like to wear matching/fit nice clothes. I wasn't always that way, but once I started being much more conscience about my clothes I remember over hearing one of my friends say to another "What's with him looking all GQ?" and I just chuckled to myself. I don't really care if other people think I'm a pretty boy or anything else since I wear the clothes because I like to :thumbup:
Getting the same sort of thing lately, I moved to the city from rural lands about two years ago, apparently I've developed a bit of a fashion sense...my old friends seem to think it's a bad thing. :fro: :lmao:

MacArtist said:
$100+ FOR A PAIR OF JEANS???
The jeans that I've paid $100 or more for are the ones that last. My favorite pairs are at least 10 years old.My cheaper jeans are the ones in the trash two years later.

I know it might sounds strange, but I'm actually save more money in the long run by buying a much higher-quality pair of jeans. Plus, it is a pain trying to find jeans in a 29/30 waist, 31" long. I find the higher-end jeans offer more size-wise. So not only do I get quality, but I get to save the time and expense of getting them altered.

Plus, since I'm an art director, I never wear skirts/slacks. I always wear jeans because we creative types can get away with it in the workplace. So yeah, it is worth it to me to pay upwards of $150 for a great pair of jeans. They are the only fashion item I splurge on.
I have a pair of kirklands that are 5 years old. I know I did not pay more then 12$ for them at that time.

MacArtist said:
$100+ FOR A PAIR OF JEANS???
The jeans that I've paid $100 or more for are the ones that last. My favorite pairs are at least 10 years old.My cheaper jeans are the ones in the trash two years later.

I know it might sounds strange, but I'm actually save more money in the long run by buying a much higher-quality pair of jeans. Plus, it is a pain trying to find jeans in a 29/30 waist, 31" long. I find the higher-end jeans offer more size-wise. So not only do I get quality, but I get to save the time and expense of getting them altered.

Plus, since I'm an art director, I never wear skirts/slacks. I always wear jeans because we creative types can get away with it in the workplace. So yeah, it is worth it to me to pay upwards of $150 for a great pair of jeans. They are the only fashion item I splurge on.
I have a pair of kirklands that are 5 years old. I know I did not pay more then 12$ for them at that time.
I had some wranglers that I outgrew before they wore out and they were less then 100$.

Users who are viewing this thread