Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
offdee

THE FBG Fashion Thread :style:

These may not work for everyone but I lean the same way in my sunglasses as I do my shoes - timeless and classic. I'm too old to pull off something too wild. I love sunglasses and this year I'm going with http://www.zappos.com/ray-ban-2132-new-way...ck-g-15xlt-lens Note the original Wayfarers are HUGE glasses. On lots of people they're too big. These 52's work much better for me. I've got a normal sized face.

And then these http://www.zappos.com/ray-ban-3025-aviator...-polarized-55mm

Pleased with both.

J

You guys buy sneakers and sunglasses every year?
I bought glasses from Mad Cow a few years ago. Biggish, black and kinda plasticy. Need new ones.
http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/products/sun...es/guardyan.htm
Too much going on with those.

See Major's link in post #1736...along these lines is what's considered :sunglassstyle: these days in my opinion.

to each his own.

just bought this shirt. Heading to South Central next week and must represent:

Blue Plaid Shrit

That's awesome. Had like 4 pairs of those. Had 2 of them tailored (ie ripped off the sleeves at the shoulder seams) for summer wear. Edited by Buffaloes

Blue Plaid Shrit

That's awesome. I have like 4 pairs of those in my closet. I've had 2 of them tailored (ie ripped off the sleeves at the shoulder seams) for summer wear.
:shrug:

So I need to buy some new work shoes. I'm just in a business casual office wear button down and khakis every day. Is this style acceptable? http://www.footwearetc.com/Clarks/Mens-Bra...ed-Leather.html

That's the kind of shoe I like to wear but not sure if it's in or even really acceptable for an office since no one else seems to wear that kind. If this isnt' the way to go what are some suggestions? I don't want black shoes if I can help it since brown matches better with what I wear other than the shoes.

Those shoes have too much of a "workboot" type of feel to them due to the overly bulky sole. I'd suggest something a little more streamlined in a work environment. Like this...

http://z.about.com/d/shoes/1/0/e/K/square_toe_shoes.jpg

http://www.alternativeoutfitters.com/image...Brn_det1LRG.jpg

They look good to me, is there some sort of name for that type of style so I can find them online?
Don't know if there's really a "name" for this shoe. To find those two images I just did a Google Image search and typed in "Men's brown dress shoes" and all kinds of visuals comes up. Went back and look and found places to purchase those two images below...

1st Link

http://www.menshoenet.com/88004_Kenneth_Co...per_Streak.html

2nd link:

http://www.alternativeoutfitters.com/mens-...gan-loafer.aspx

Thanks I'll be looking around these after work.

Blue Plaid Shrit

That's awesome. Had like 4 pairs of those. Had 2 of them tailored (ie ripped off the sleeves at the shoulder seams) for summer wear.
That's a good look. Add a tribal band tattoo and you're gold.

So I need to buy some new work shoes. I'm just in a business casual office wear button down and khakis every day. Is this style acceptable? http://www.footwearetc.com/Clarks/Mens-Bra...ed-Leather.html

That's the kind of shoe I like to wear but not sure if it's in or even really acceptable for an office since no one else seems to wear that kind. If this isnt' the way to go what are some suggestions? I don't want black shoes if I can help it since brown matches better with what I wear other than the shoes.

Those shoes have too much of a "workboot" type of feel to them due to the overly bulky sole. I'd suggest something a little more streamlined in a work environment. Like this...

http://z.about.com/d/shoes/1/0/e/K/square_toe_shoes.jpg

http://www.alternativeoutfitters.com/image...Brn_det1LRG.jpg

They look good to me, is there some sort of name for that type of style so I can find them online?
Don't know if there's really a "name" for this shoe. To find those two images I just did a Google Image search and typed in "Men's brown dress shoes" and all kinds of visuals comes up. Went back and look and found places to purchase those two images below...

1st Link

http://www.menshoenet.com/88004_Kenneth_Co...per_Streak.html

2nd link:

http://www.alternativeoutfitters.com/mens-...gan-loafer.aspx

Thanks I'll be looking around these after work.
Does this shoe stack up? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BMBJ6...x_ya_os_product

I think it's pretty close to that style at least. And it's in my size which is nice.

Does this shoe stack up? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BMBJ6...x_ya_os_product

I think it's pretty close to that style at least. And it's in my size which is nice.

Yep, those are solid. :rolleyes:

Edit to add: personal preference but I prefer slip ons when it comes to dress shoes (rather than laces). A little more comfortable, much quicker and convenient for those running late work mornings and has a little more European styling to them.

Edited by offdee

Yep, those are solid. :goodposting:

Edit to add: personal preference but I prefer slip ons when it comes to dress shoes (rather than laces). A little more comfortable, much quicker and convenient for those running late work mornings and has a little more European styling to them.

Cool got these. I'm not sure if I like laces or no laces I've never owned no lace shoes before so they scare me a bit. I actually almost got the 2nd ones you posted (I like that look) but was worried since they were vegan and I'm not sure how synth leather shoes hold up.

Yep, those are solid. ;)

Cool got these. I'm not sure if I like laces or no laces I've never owned no lace shoes before so they scare me a bit. I actually almost got the 2nd ones you posted (I like that look) but was worried since they were vegan and I'm not sure how synth leather shoes hold up.
Right on, enjoy the new kicks.

I was always a laces guy as well until I was looking for a pair of black dress shoes about 2 years ago and found a style I liked but they only came in slip on, so decided to give em a whirl. Whole new world and only wear slip ons now.

Summer is almost here. Probably need another pair of shorts. Cargo or no cargo? I avoided the plaid last summer... is that still happening?

Summer is almost here. Probably need another pair of shorts. Cargo or no cargo? I avoided the plaid last summer... is that still happening?

No cargo, I got a couple pairs a while back when they were in, and now I wish I had more variety. Get shorts that aren't as bulky and are lighter/slimming.

No cargo, I got a couple pairs a while back when they were in, and now I wish I had more variety. Get shorts that aren't as bulky and are lighter/slimming.
Yes. Go with a simple cut, flat front short. I'd go with a khaki, a blue and then some sort of plaid print. These are basic styles that should last you a while. Unless you're in college and love wearing Birkenstocks, there is no reason to still be wearing cargos. Edited by Major

I think I just found the best denim for your money and they're surprisingly from The Gap. Amazing these are $90. I love the look as well - No labels, just good quality denim. They remind me a lot of APCs which run from $160-220. Best thing is that most FBGs have access to The Gap and the jeans won't break your bank. If you don't have a nice pair of jeans to wear out at night and don't want to spend $200+, then these are a must. They have several different fits but these are the ones I prefer:

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1...;scid=683782002

Are Rose colored lenses a no go? I'm having a disagreement with someone.

Link.

If you don't spend half of your life boating Maui's are ridiculous.

Link.

If you don't spend half of your life boating Maui's are ridiculous.
Sorry boss but that's one of the very few styles that has ever worked for me. I apparently have a weird face. Most styles look absolutely awful on me. Most glasses are too big for my face or to short (top to bottom lens height). These look good. At this point it's these, I look awful with other ones, or I continue to squint every time I'm outside. :shrug:

Link.

Yeah, I'd avoid the rose colored lenses. Those specs have an option for black lenses....go with those.

I think I just found the best denim for your money and they're surprisingly from The Gap. Amazing these are $90. I love the look as well - No labels, just good quality denim. They remind me a lot of APCs which run from $160-220. Best thing is that most FBGs have access to The Gap and the jeans won't break your bank. If you don't have a nice pair of jeans to wear out at night and don't want to spend $200+, then these are a must. They have several different fits but these are the ones I prefer:

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1...;scid=683782002

:lmao: Good find.

J

Link.

Yeah, I'd avoid the rose colored lenses. Those specs have an option for black lenses....go with those.
Sweet, I dig the black ones while my girl has let her bias towards pink influence her desire. For a girl, she's got some questionable tastes.

So the black ones look fine? Anything else you might recommend?

Link.

Sweet, I dig the black ones while my girl has let her bias towards pink influence her desire. For a girl, she's got some questionable tastes.

So the black ones look fine? Anything else you might recommend?

Sunglasses in general are tough to recommend, and expect it to be even harder for you since you feel that most don't accentuate your facial shape well.

In terms of what's in :style: right now, see Major's link in post #1736. The oversized squarish aviator look with the thicker plastic frame is getting good play lately.

I personally don't like to spend a lot on sunglasses because :styles: change so regularly, plus they are easily broken or misplaced. Get a few random knockoffs for $30 a piece and switch it up throughout the summer. Than if you lose, break or they are no longer in :style: than nothing really lost.

Edited by offdee

I saw Major's link and there's no denying those are stylish. I've tried 'em on before they don't quite have the depth. They don't quite go low enough and it leaves a weird cave to the sunken part of my eye. :thumbdown: I've tried on a few pair like that and they look awful on me. Even the salespeople in sunglass stores chuckle when they see me with that style on, and they normally tell everyone everything looks great.

Some aviator styles work as well, but that's rare. Most are either too wide or waay too big for my face. Another problem is I need to get metal frames, as I'm turning them into prescription shades (there's no point wearing sunglasses if I can't see). I've been told plastic frames aren't easy to put prescriptions in nor is it recommended. Are the more standard aviators out of style? Examples

Edited by Dr. Awesome

I saw Major's link and there's no denying those are stylish. I've tried 'em on before they don't quite have the depth. They don't quite go low enough and it leaves a weird cave to the sunken part of my eye. :lol: I've tried on a few pair like that and they look awful on me. Even the salespeople in sunglass stores chuckle when they see me with that style on, and they normally tell everyone everything looks great.

Some aviator styles work as well, but that's rare. Most are either too wide or waay too big for my face. Another problem is I need to get metal frames, as I'm turning them into prescription shades (there's no point wearing sunglasses if I can't see). I've been told plastic frames aren't easy to put prescriptions in nor is it recommended. Are the more standard aviators out of style? Examples

Regular aviators are pretty classic....just stay away from the mirrored lenses and more with the dark shaded lenses.

I'm not sure if this is accurate, but my GB is a regular glasses wearer and he says he has trouble getting any kind of stylish sunglasses because you can't put prescription lenses in bigger type frames like aviators, etc. He more or less said everywhere he goes the only prescription sunglasses he can get are the size of what regular glasses are (smaller lense area, and no big curvatures to the lenses).

Something to possibly be aware of if you haven't started exploring this yet.

Hmm, I'll check with my optomotrist. Thanks offdee. That was another big plus of my link - it's not too difficult to turn them into prescriptions. The company actually does the work then ships 'em out to me.

I'm a big fan of this thread.

How has your indochino suit held up? I'm buying a suit in the next two months and that site looks incredible.

Hmm, I'll check with my optomotrist. Thanks offdee. That was another big plus of my link - it's not too difficult to turn them into prescriptions. The company actually does the work then ships 'em out to me.

I'm a big fan of this thread.

How has your indochino suit held up? I'm buying a suit in the next two months and that site looks incredible.

My suit is still solid. I'm not a huge suit wearer....maybe have worn it about 4 times since purchase about a year ago and still holding up well and get a lot of compliments on it from others. Would still recommend it for the price...for $400 there isn't a whole lot of risk even if you only get a couple years worth of wears out of it (after that a suit should be upgraded in :style: and fit anyways)

About a month or so back they had a video on there showing how the suits are hand made. Decent view of their quality procedure anyways.

ETA: here's that video if anybody cares...

Edited by offdee

Yes. Go with a simple cut, flat front short. I'd go with a khaki, a blue and then some sort of plaid print. These are basic styles that should last you a while. Unless you're in college and love wearing Birkenstocks, there is no reason to still be wearing cargos.
IMO, the plaid shorts need to go away. I'm not saying that they aren't in style, but uggh....I just can't get into them.

Yes. Go with a simple cut, flat front short. I'd go with a khaki, a blue and then some sort of plaid print. These are basic styles that should last you a while. Unless you're in college and love wearing Birkenstocks, there is no reason to still be wearing cargos.
IMO, the plaid shorts need to go away. I'm not saying that they aren't in style, but uggh....I just can't get into them.
I agree with this. I can't bring myself to wear them.

I agree with this. I can't bring myself to wear them.
So the :style: line is drawn for you at plaid shorts :confused: Interesting. I mean they are so "out there".

Ok got into it with the wife over the following:

I put on these jeans & these shoes.

What color socks should I wear?

1) grey

2) white

Never = black or any other color.

Ok got into it with the wife over the following:

I put on these jeans & these shoes.

What color socks should I wear?

1) grey

2) white

Never = black or any other color.

Ok I had white on and my wife said I looked like this guy: 1950's Greaser

grey is preferred with brown shoes and jeans, but white is still passable.

So the :style: line is drawn for you at plaid shorts :mellow: Interesting. I mean they are so "out there".

I realize they are in :style: but that doesn't mean I need to be a personal fan of all things :style:The subtle checked plaid shorts with all neutral tones (tans, greys, browns, blacks) and larger spacing between lines (i.e. bigger squares) I can get on board with, but the crazy multi-primary colored small checks is when it becomes too much.

So the :style: line is drawn for you at plaid shorts :thumbdown: Interesting. I mean they are so "out there".

I realize they are in :style: but that doesn't mean I need to be a personal fan of all things :style:The subtle checked plaid shorts with all neutral tones (tans, greys, browns, blacks) and larger spacing between lines (i.e. bigger squares) I can get on board with, but the crazy multi-primary colored small checks is when it becomes too much.
Those things are still in style? I've never understood the appeal. Plus it's tough to pull off weraing a flannel and plaid shorts. Even for a guy like me.

So the :style: line is drawn for you at plaid shorts :lmao: Interesting. I mean they are so "out there".

Hey I'm with you. I own some of the subtle checked plaid shorts in neutral colours because I like the look. I'm not a fan of the crazy small checked ones either, even if they are in style. Why do you think you can't wear coloured socks with jeans in BuddyBall's example? I tend to match the sock with the pant, so I'd go with blue ones. :thumbup:I always thought the guide was the sock colour should go with the pant or shoe (at least when wearing dressier clothes).

Why do you think you can't wear coloured socks with jeans in BuddyBall's example? I tend to match the sock with the pant, so I'd go with blue ones. :thumbup:I always thought the guide was the sock colour should go with the pant or shoe (at least when wearing dressier clothes).

This rule of thumb is for when wearing dress pants and suits. With more casual attire like jeans and chunky brown boot type shoes that rule of thumb no longer applies.Jeans = white and grey socks (note: if wearing black dress shoes with jeans, than stick with wearing black dress socks as well)Dress pants = match the sock color with the pants or shoes Edited by offdee

FWIW in my opinion there is no better business casual shoes than Johnston and Murphy's.

How much do you guys spend on clothes every month?

Why do you think you can't wear coloured socks with jeans in BuddyBall's example? I tend to match the sock with the pant, so I'd go with blue ones. :confused:

I always thought the guide was the sock colour should go with the pant or shoe (at least when wearing dressier clothes).

This rule of thumb is for when wearing dress pants and suits. With more casual attire like jeans and chunky brown boot type shoes that rule of thumb no longer applies.

Jeans = white and grey socks (note: if wearing black dress shoes with jeans, than stick with wearing black dress socks as well)

Dress pants = match the sock color with the pants or shoes

What about shoes like these:Skechers

with jeans rather than chunky brown boot type shoes? Still white or grey socks? I tend to only wear white socks when I'm exercising/playing sports.

Why do you think you can't wear coloured socks with jeans in BuddyBall's example? I tend to match the sock with the pant, so I'd go with blue ones. :thumbdown:

I always thought the guide was the sock colour should go with the pant or shoe (at least when wearing dressier clothes).

This rule of thumb is for when wearing dress pants and suits. With more casual attire like jeans and chunky brown boot type shoes that rule of thumb no longer applies.

Jeans = white and grey socks (note: if wearing black dress shoes with jeans, than stick with wearing black dress socks as well)

Dress pants = match the sock color with the pants or shoes

What about shoes like these:Skechers

with jeans rather than chunky brown boot type shoes? Still white or grey socks? I tend to only wear white socks when I'm exercising/playing sports.

With those shoes and jeans either grey or white socks would work. I wouldn't recommend wearing those shoes with shorts...get something lighter/whiter shade.

With shorts, whether working out or regular wear, always go with white socks or no socks at all. For non-athletic shorts/shoes wearing I prefer the below the ankle bone socks so they are just barely seen (in white)

Edited by offdee

Need opinions on combining a banded collar leather with a half zip pull over. Translation - the sweater's collar is taller than the jacket's.

Need opinions on combining a banded collar leather with a half zip pull over. Translation - the sweater's collar is taller than the jacket's.

I'm not following your initial description...what a "banded collar leather"?Any generic google image you could show to help illustrate?

FWIW in my opinion there is no better business casual shoes than Johnston and Murphy's.How much do you guys spend on clothes every month?

:goodposting:

back to sunglasses, I think I have these(look the same). Bought two years ago.

still somewhat in :style:?

Sure, those are fine.

Is this kind of what you're describing GB?

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk161/o...on/Jan16_01.jpg

-------------------------------

Edit to add that I think I know what you're describing now. Did a google search for "leather banded leather" and realize now you're referring to a moto-type leather jacket like this...

http://www.internationalmale.com/HanoverAs...ages/f636zz.jpg

And you're asking if it's OK to wear something like this underneath the jacket..

http://media.rei.com/media/qq/3cf50a96-af9...3ad62d7cb0d.jpg

I don't see it as a problem....it's a similar idea as to my original pic I linked to above with the collared track jacket under a sport coat. As long as there are different collar types they should be fine together.

Edited by offdee