Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
offdee

THE FBG Fashion Thread :style:

GM>The reviews for the wolf shirts are a little vulgar. My apologies. Regardless, I feel that they would be a great compliment to your charming social skills at the next Elk's Club/Lodge meeting. If you want to wow them, you NEED a wolf shirt.

That's okay, I thrive on vulgar. What the hell are the Elks anyway? I still don't get it. Is it a club or just a lounge where you can drink? What do they do?

GM>The reviews for the wolf shirts are a little vulgar. My apologies. Regardless, I feel that they would be a great compliment to your charming social skills at the next Elk's Club/Lodge meeting. If you want to wow them, you NEED a wolf shirt.

Wolf shirts are way out. Pretty sure everybody knows that.Cat shirts are where it's at.HTH

Post #177 has the full back and forth and reasoning for me posting those links...

One guys comment to my picture wearing the cardigan was:

That outfit looks like something Benjamin Franklin would have worn 200 years ago.

So, my response was showing pics of celebrities who are thought of highly in the fashion world wearing cardigans more recent than 200 years ago.

Edited by offdee

GM>

The reviews for the wolf shirts are a little vulgar. My apologies. Regardless, I feel that they would be a great compliment to your charming social skills at the next Elk's Club/Lodge meeting. If you want to wow them, you NEED a wolf shirt.

Wolf shirts are way out. Pretty sure everybody knows that.

Cat shirts are where it's at.

HTH

totally not related

Post #177 has the full back and forth and reasoning for me posting those links...

That outfit looks like something Benjamin Franklin would have worn 200 years ago.

So, my response was showing pics of celebrities who are thought of highly in the fashion world wearing cardigans more recent than 200 years ago.

Sure. But that changes nothing about Ben Franklin.

But the bigger point, what validation does David Beckham provide? Because Justin Timberlake wears one, it's good for us to wear one? That is just a fascinating concept to me.

That your answer to criticism of the cardigan would be to post the pics you did.

Again, don't mean to single you out as tons of people do the same thing.

J

But the bigger point, what validation does David Beckham provide? Because Justin Timberlake wears one, it's good for us to wear one? That is just a fascinating concept to me.

How do you decide what clothes to wear Joe?I would bet quite a bit of money that you dont wear the same style stuff you did 10 years ago. Hell, probably not the same that you wore 2 years ago.Like it or not, you are wearing what others wore before you. Most likely, those others were the Timberlakes and Beckhams of the world.Now, perhaps you are a few years behind, and you think that the clothes in your local department store are just new clothes, but those clothes were worn by someone fashionably famous a few years ago (I say a few years ago, cause most big box stores at least a year behind the times).

:shrug:Some people spend money on good looking clothes.Others pay 400 dollars for a golf club, even though they on their best day, would be lucky to be bogey golf. Or some pay 500,000 dollars for an ugly house in boring suburbia. Even more will pay way too much for an engagement ring.Whatveer works for ya I guess.

:confused: So doing stupid things with your money is OK because other people do it as well?
Spending "a lot" ($200 isn't a lot for jeans IMO) of money for a material possession isn't stupid if it's of good quality and you put some time into researching it. Personally, I think it's stupid to spend money on ephemeral things such as drinks and food (outside of paying for organic/raw foods).

- One thing these days which shows off a nice, modern suit compared to a cheap standard suit is the pocket design on the front. The cooler suits now a days have 2 pockets right on top of each other on one side and only one pocket on the other side...kind of an assymetrical thing.

Like this:

http://www.stylenerds.com/site/wp-content/...8/12/suits1.jpg

I'm getting married in September. Looking for a hip suit. I'm feeling that brown one in the picture. You know what brand it is? Or where to find it?

I am wearing brown, or light brown of sorts, for sure. With a different colored brown shirt, brown shoes, and a brown hat. Only color on me is going to be a turquoise tie, and turquise shoelaces (got a nice pair of brown Fluevogs in mind).

Here is the only other suit I have found that meets my needs. Link

Sorry GB, I don't know what brand suit that is or where to find it. I did a little search on the website that I found the pic at, but it was just a visual, no specifics on that particular suit.

If you do go with brown I'd highly suggest a dark chocolate brown over a light tan color....I believe you'll just get more use out of it in the future and is a more classic look that will be in style for years to come.

If you're doing a search to try and find something similar to the brown suit I linked to, keep these things in mind.

- fabric looks to be a brown wool of sorts (?)

- look for an "athletic cut" or "slim fit"

- keep an eye out for the skinny lapel.

- the term for the double pocket on one side is called a "ticket pocket"

Good luck!

Post #177 has the full back and forth and reasoning for me posting those links...One guys comment to my picture wearing the cardigan was:That outfit looks like something Benjamin Franklin would have worn 200 years ago.So, my response was showing pics of celebrities who are thought of highly in the fashion world wearing cardigans more recent than 200 years ago.

Sure. But that changes nothing about Ben Franklin.But the bigger point, what validation does David Beckham provide? Because Justin Timberlake wears one, it's good for us to wear one? That is just a fascinating concept to me.That your answer to criticism of the cardigan would be to post the pics you did. Again, don't mean to single you out as tons of people do the same thing. J
He wasn't trying to say you should wear one. He was refuting the implication that they a) went out of style 200 years ago and b) are only worn by old people.

Sure. But that changes nothing about Ben Franklin.

That your answer to criticism of the cardigan would be to post the pics you did.

Again, don't mean to single you out as tons of people do the same thing.

J

Hard one to explain I guess.

Fashion is kind of a Chicken and egg theory..which one really came first? Is something fashionable because a celebrity wears it or does a celebrity have more access to fashionable outlets/designers so they are ahead of the curve?

I tend to sway towards the latter. Top fashion designers and trend setters in the fashion world look to celebrities to wear their brands/styles/patterns/colors because it's the easiest way for the next big thing to be seen by the masses and accepted at mainstream styling. Some are hits and some are misses but I think it would be silly to think that celebrities don't have some in to modern styling and upcoming trends that us normal folk walking through the mall don't have.

:shrug:Some people spend money on good looking clothes.Others pay 400 dollars for a golf club, even though they on their best day, would be lucky to be bogey golf. Or some pay 500,000 dollars for an ugly house in boring suburbia. Even more will pay way too much for an engagement ring.Whatveer works for ya I guess.

:confused: So doing stupid things with your money is OK because other people do it as well?
Spending "a lot" ($200 isn't a lot for jeans IMO) of money for a material possession isn't stupid if it's of good quality and you put some time into researching it. Personally, I think it's stupid to spend money on ephemeral things such as drinks and food (outside of paying for organic/raw foods).
What determines "good quality" when it comes to a pair of jeans?

The quality of the denim is the major thing. If you happen to be in a high end store just put a $200 pair of jeans next to a $20 pair of jeans and just feel the difference. The $200 pair's raw material will be softer and thicker. The sheen on the more expensive pair will be greater.The other big thing is quality of stitching and details. Whether that be the thickness or coloring of thread used or the button or zipper quality. All of this combined allows the jeans to stand up better to the test of time to wear and tear and regular washing.Higher end jeans keep their dark wash color better over time.Higher end jeans are more tailored specifically to a certain body type, rather than the cheaper jeans just being mass produced to comfortably fit a wide spectrum of people. Edited by offdee

The quality of the denim is the major thing. If you happen to be in a high end store just put a $200 pair of jeans next to a $20 pair of jeans and just feel the difference. The $200 pair will be softer and thicker. The sheen on the more expensive pair will be greater.The other big thing is quality of stitching and details. Whether that be the thickness or coloring of thread used or the button or zipper quality. All of this combined allows the jeans to stand up better to the test of time to wear and tear and regular washing.Higher end jeans keep their dark wash color better over time.Higher end jeans are more tailored specifically to a certain body type, rather than the cheaper jeans just being mass produced to comfortably fit a wide spectrum of people.
1. What if I don't want my jeans to have a 'sheen'? How about next year when those cool, two-tone, bleached-on-one-side jeans are out of style? 2. Wear and tear? What are you Beau Brummells doing in your $200 jeans that causes them to wear? 3. Tailored? So you they don't come in just 32x34 or whatever? There's some old dude in a vest with a piece of chalk fixing you up right there in the store?

Anyone still wear Calvin Klein jeans? Been looking for a classic brand of jeans and thinking about getting me a couple of pairs of these. Anyone wanna comment on quality?

Aesthetics, fit, construction, durability, ability to fit in to different environments. I wear jeans almost everywhere, including work, so the latter two points are pretty important.

Yes, guys can wear pick, assuming they are the right guys.

What means this, GB?

Anyone still wear Calvin Klein jeans? Been looking for a classic brand of jeans and thinking about getting me a couple of pairs of these. Anyone wanna comment on quality?

No experience recently with CK for me, but one classic brand that fit me nicely and seem to offer nice quality and decent washes is Guess. Give them a try.

No experience recently with CK for me, but one classic brand that fit me nicely and seem to offer nice quality and decent washes is Guess. Give them a try.
:ohgodpleasedont:

It's just a simple button up sweater I wore to some bar back in the dead of winter...I probably had that thing fully buttoned, unbuttoned and completely off a few times throughout the night...just happened to get a picture like this.

Is there more to the story that would have you dressing and undressing like that throughout the night?

J

Going from 5 degrees outside to 90 degrees inside + a little dancing + a lot of alcohol = :ptts:

Aesthetics, fit, construction, durability, ability to fit in to different environments. I wear jeans almost everywhere, including work, so the latter two points are pretty important.
So you're saying that $200 jeans will last longer than $20 jeans? 10x as long?

:ohgodpleasedont:
Not my #1 choice, but they fall in that $75 area that maybe will sway some guys to give a little bit nicer pair a try and start to see the difference.And no, they don't have the triangle patch on the butt cheek still. Edited by offdee

- throw the following pant styles in the garbage immediately: curdoroys, carpenter jeans, cargo pants.

Carpenter and cargos. Yes.Have to disagree big time on the cords though. I have 3 pair of slim fitting cords that look great. As long as they aren't old and beat up and baggy, they are good to go in my world.

This is my current pair of "do anything" sunglasses. They're great, because they're a little bit of everything. Part wrap, part aviator, part bad ###, not standing out as any one style in particular. They transition from the office to the beach to the club with ease.

http://www.sunglasshut.com/sgh/pdp.jsp?skus=481361

I do like those a lot GB. $310 for a pair of shades would be a tough one for me though...as someone else said, I'd probably lose or sit on them a week after I got them. But, in any event, solid purchase.

- if you're losing your hair to the point where you can see any glimpse of the top or crown of your head....shave it all off already and embrace your baldness. (you're not fooling anybody) (Also a great opportunity to start incorporating cool hats in to your arsenal)

What's the ruling on the Jason Statham approach? i.e. shaving your entire head with an electric trimmer, leaving a shadow beard to match your shadow balding head?
Pretty sure that is what he was talking about.

Not the bic bald shave. Just a close shave like that. And of course, the few day old beard is always encouraged.

Correct. Just put the one guard on and go to town and trim that thing back down every 3 or so days.

As someone said earlier as well, work that look and mix in a sweet lid every now and again...short billed cadet cap, fedora, newsboy hat or just a simple streamlined stocking hat.

I linked to it earlier but I really like some of the styles of hats they have here:

http://www.coalheadwear.com/considered/winter/

They won't last 10x longer, no. But, during the 5-10 years you do have them and wear them multiple times per week they will fit better and be more comfortable on.It's one of those things that until you actually try and experience it for yourself it's hard to fully explain. It's kind of like driving a Hyundai vs. driving a Mercedes....both will get you from point A to point B, but one will be a much more enjoyable and comfortable ride.

- throw the following pant styles in the garbage immediately: curdoroys, carpenter jeans, cargo pants.

Carpenter and cargos. Yes.Have to disagree big time on the cords though. I have 3 pair of slim fitting cords that look great. As long as they aren't old and beat up and baggy, they are good to go in my world.
Maybe I'm just not versed properly in the curdoroy world and have a bad stigma about them. I remember them back when I was in high school having thick ribbing, baggy and noisy when I walked. Nowadays the only time I see them are on my IT guy who wears them about 3 inches too short and looks like a moron in them.Any links to visuals of ones you like or would suggest? Also what color is best in cords..dark brown?

They won't last 10x longer, no. But, during the 5-10 years you do have them and wear them multiple times per week they will fit better and be more comfortable on.It's one of those things that until you actually try and experience it for yourself it's hard to fully explain. It's kind of like driving a Hyundai vs. driving a Mercedes....both will get you from point A to point B, but one will be a much more enjoyable and comfortable ride.
So you're going to be wearing the same style of jeans in 2014? Or are you wearing the same jeans you had in 2000?

Maybe I'm just not versed properly in the curdoroy world and have a bad stigma about them. I remember them back when I was in high school having thick ribbing, baggy and noisy when I walked. Nowadays the only time I see them are on my IT guy who wears them about 3 inches too short and looks like a moron in them.Any links to visuals of ones you like or would suggest? Also what color is best in cords..dark brown?
I have 2 pair of levis slim straight fit cords. The ribbing is small enough that they dont make noise, but not too small that they look like pinstripes. Dark brown for one, and a light gray for the other. Not sure if they are still sold or not. They're 2 years old. Levis 514 fit me nicely. I have a few pair of jeans that I wear everyday to work. I have a few different brand/better pair that I wear at night and when not working. But, the slim straight 514s are well worth the 65 bucks or whatever they are.

1. What if I don't want my jeans to have a 'sheen'? How about next year when those cool, two-tone, bleached-on-one-side jeans are out of style?

2. Tailored? So you they don't come in just 32x34 or whatever? There's some old dude in a vest with a piece of chalk fixing you up right there in the store?

1. A pair of well fitting dark wash jeans with very minimal whiskering or whitewash and subtle/no stitching design on the back pockets is timeless and will never go out of style. If you're going to take the plunge and give a higher end jean a whirl to see the difference and just one pair in your arsenal to wear on special occassions or something go that route. They will be just as in style today as they will be 3-5 years from now.

Visual example:

http://www.williamrast.com/catalog/Detail....amp;cICode=1883

2. Yes, they come in your standard sizes, but nicer jeans are just made with more eyes for details to fit better that give them a more custom look. And if they don't fit perfectly just take them to a local tailor who can make them perefect for another $20. When you're investing in a piece of clothing that you could concievably wear 200 times over the course of the next 3 years it's worth it.

Edited by offdee

So you're going to be wearing the same style of jeans in 2014? Or are you wearing the same jeans you had in 2000?
Maybe that was exaggerating a bit to make a point. But, I would say 3-5 years is a good range for jeans maintaining their cut/color to be in style. One can get a lot of wears out of a solid pair of jeans in 3+ years.

1. What if I don't want my jeans to have a 'sheen'? How about next year when those cool, two-tone, bleached-on-one-side jeans are out of style? 2. Tailored? So you they don't come in just 32x34 or whatever? There's some old dude in a vest with a piece of chalk fixing you up right there in the store?

1. A pair of well fitting dark wash jeans with very minimal whiskering or whitewash and subtle/no stitching design on the back pockets is timeless and will never go out of style.
WAT? "Wiskering' and 'white wash' are relatively new when it comes to fashion. You honestly think in 5 or 10 years they're still going to be in style? What about acid wash and stone wash from the 90s? Are those timeless?

1. What if I don't want my jeans to have a 'sheen'? How about next year when those cool, two-tone, bleached-on-one-side jeans are out of style? 2. Tailored? So you they don't come in just 32x34 or whatever? There's some old dude in a vest with a piece of chalk fixing you up right there in the store?

1. A pair of well fitting dark wash jeans with very minimal whiskering or whitewash and subtle/no stitching design on the back pockets is timeless and will never go out of style.
WAT? "Wiskering' and 'white wash' are relatively new when it comes to fashion. You honestly think in 5 or 10 years they're still going to be in style? What about acid wash and stone wash from the 90s? Are those timeless?
I said to avoid whiskering and white wash (when I said "very minimal" I more or less meant as close to none as possible, apologize for any confusion)....see my visual link I posted above.

I'm not sure anyone should ever buy clothes thinking 5 years in the future. Hell, not even 2 years.But, that doesnt mean you cant spend 200 dollars on a pair of jeans. Just that you should wear than 3 times a week and get your monies worth.

I said to avoid whiskering and white wash (when I said "very minimal" I more or less meant as close to none as possible, apologize for any confusion)....see my visual link I posted above.
I have a pair like those...in blue. I think I paid $22 for them. Not sure the label. Hell it might even be Tony Hawk or something like that. For $178 the jeans better come with a build in Fleshlight.

I have a pair like those...in blue. I think I paid $22 for them. Not sure the label. Hell it might even be Tony Hawk or something like that. For $178 the jeans better come with a build in Fleshlight.
I understand that you're not into pricey jeans, never will be and that's OK. But what we're trying to tell you is that your $22 jeans are NOT like the ones we're describing. They may "look" the same in pictures on the Internet but until you actually have them on your legs and wear them around for a day there's nothing else more we can really say to convince you otherwise.

1. What if I don't want my jeans to have a 'sheen'? How about next year when those cool, two-tone, bleached-on-one-side jeans are out of style?

2. Tailored? So you they don't come in just 32x34 or whatever? There's some old dude in a vest with a piece of chalk fixing you up right there in the store?

1. A pair of well fitting dark wash jeans with very minimal whiskering or whitewash and subtle/no stitching design on the back pockets is timeless and will never go out of style. If you're going to take the plunge and give a higher end jean a whirl to see the difference and just one pair in your arsenal to wear on special occassions or something go that route. They will be just as in style today as they will be 3-5 years from now.

Visual example:

http://www.williamrast.com/catalog/Detail....amp;cICode=1883

2. Yes, they come in your standard sizes, but nicer jeans are just made with more eyes for details to fit better that give them a more custom look. And if they don't fit perfectly just take them to a local tailor who can make them perefect for another $20. When you're investing in a piece of clothing that you could concievably wear 200 times over the course of the next 3 years it's worth it.

The Diesel Dughan comes to mind. Last pair of jeans I bought. Chicks love them.

Ok, I'm here. Who has questions?

1) Where have you been?

2) Why did you reject my friend request?

3) Is my T-shirt too tight?

It's scary enough to have the likes of Tanner posting on your wall, but he cracks me up 100% of the time, so it's worth it.
What the crap? :lmao:
Is that not you, gb? :scared:

I wouldn't last very long in NYC. Thank god Portland is the home of goofy looking white people. I'm perfectly suited here.

:goodposting: Do we really want to have to call AAA to come change a flat tire because you don't want to get your $200 jeans dirty?
:confused: I changed my tires while wearing $200 jeans. They're jeans, that's what they're for.
Why would I spend 200 for jeans? I get 7s for 80 bucks and Nordstrom rack.

I understand that you're not into pricey jeans, never will be and that's OK. But what we're trying to tell you is that your $22 jeans are NOT like the ones we're describing. They may "look" the same in pictures on the Internet but until you actually have them on your legs and wear them around for a day there's nothing else more we can really say to convince you otherwise.

:thumbup: Correct. I'm not a sucker.

Maybe that was exaggerating a bit to make a point. But, I would say 3-5 years is a good range for jeans maintaining their cut/color to be in style. One can get a lot of wears out of a solid pair of jeans in 3+ years.
"In style" is for women. There are certain looks for men that will always look good. A man with style is a man that can look back at photos and never laugh at what he was wearing or how his hair looked and others wont either. The guys who pimp the pink shirts these days crack me up. If pink was so :moneybag: why werent you wearing it 8 years ago? Why were you probably making fun of any guy who wore pink? Either you let somebody else dress you, or you do it yourself.

Ok, I'm here. Who has questions?

1) Where have you been?

2) Why did you reject my friend request?

3) Is my T-shirt too tight?

It's scary enough to have the likes of Tanner posting on your wall, but he cracks me up 100% of the time, so it's worth it.
:lmao:

No it's me. But what do you think I'm going to do?

"Hey, Otis! Is that Amber chick that just posted on your wall the one you called a slut at footballguys?"

Yes, guys can wear pick, assuming they are the right guys.

What means this, GB?
:wall:Pink.

"Hey, Otis! Is that Amber chick that just posted on your wall the one you called a slut at footballguys?"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

No, I know that you wouldn't do that, which is precisely why you are accepted. Others? :unsure:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

No, I know that you wouldn't do that, which is precisely why you are accepted. Others? :unsure:

Check you wall.

:goodposting: Cords have been "in" for a while...particularly in the winter...only conservative colors of course.

are french cuff shirts (w/o tie) still in (casually worn)?

hated that look a few years ago.

Good Jeans + Cool Tshirt + Jacket = :moneybag:

If you're talking about the CK brand, they're crap. That line has nothing to do with Calvin Klein. He just licenses his name to a big manufacturer and they mass produce stuff. But if they fit good and you like the way they look, then sure go ahead. I'd rather get a classic pair of Levis than those.

If you're talking about the CK brand, they're crap. That line has nothing to do with Calvin Klein. He just licenses his name to a big manufacturer and they mass produce stuff. But if they fit good and you like the way they look, then sure go ahead. I'd rather get a classic pair of Levis than those.
Might have to take a look at levis....what about guess jeans?

Levis acceptable...CK...not so much.