What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE FBG Fashion Thread :style: (2 Viewers)

are french cuff shirts (w/o tie) still in (casually worn)?hated that look a few years ago.Good Jeans + Cool Tshirt + Jacket = :moneybag:
I think it all depends on the shirt but I like cuffs. Generally only wear french cuffs with suits or in more formal environments (business casual, nice dinners,etc).As for the blazer/denim look, that's why I don't mind spending good money on jeans. You wear a cheap pair with a blazer and it looks like crap. Rock a pair a nice pair of denim, quality shirt and a blazer = :moneybag: Clean, classic look that doesn't come off as trying too hard. Chicks dig it.
I like cuffs, with a tie and jacket/suit.I don't like cuffs with an open collar. Few dudes in my office tried to rock that look during normal business hours and just looked like slobs who spilled something on their tie during lunch. :shrug:

are french cuff shirts (w/o tie) still in (casually worn)?hated that look a few years ago.Good Jeans + Cool Tshirt + Jacket = :moneybag:
I think it all depends on the shirt but I like cuffs. Generally only wear french cuffs with suits or in more formal environments (business casual, nice dinners,etc).As for the blazer/denim look, that's why I don't mind spending good money on jeans. You wear a cheap pair with a blazer and it looks like crap. Rock a nice pair of denim, quality shirt and a blazer = :moneybag: Clean, classic look that doesn't come off as trying too hard. Chicks dig it.
:goodposting: I'm not a french cuff guy, but if I did go there it would only be for relatively formal events.

what's the verdict these days on wearing belts with jeans?

I was flipping through channels over the weekend and came across some random show where some love advisor (female) was out shopping with some dude in L.A. giving him a clothes makeover for a blind date. He grabbed for a belt and she snapped at him saying "no, no, no....no belts! The only guys that wear belts anymore around here are retirees and heroin addicts!"

This came as a surprise to me. Is this a left coast thing?

what's the verdict these days on wearing belts with jeans?I was flipping through channels over the weekend and came across some random show where some love advisor (female) was out shopping with some dude in L.A. giving him a clothes makeover for a blind date. He grabbed for a belt and she snapped at him saying "no, no, no....no belts! The only guys that wear belts anymore around here are retirees and heroin addicts!"This came as a surprise to me. Is this a left coast thing?
LOL...I think I saw that same show (wasn't it the Millionaire Matchmaker?)....I just shook my head. A woman talking about something she knows nothing about. :wall: I rarely tuck in my dress shirts with jeans but if I do w/o a belt, you imagine how bad that will look? a cool belt can really help your outfit.

what's the verdict these days on wearing belts with jeans?I was flipping through channels over the weekend and came across some random show where some love advisor (female) was out shopping with some dude in L.A. giving him a clothes makeover for a blind date. He grabbed for a belt and she snapped at him saying "no, no, no....no belts! The only guys that wear belts anymore around here are retirees and heroin addicts!"This came as a surprise to me. Is this a left coast thing?
LOL...I think I saw that same show (wasn't it the Millionaire Matchmaker?)....I just shook my head. A woman talking about something she knows nothing about. :wall: I rarely tuck in my dress shirts with jeans but if I do w/o a belt, you imagine how bad that will look? a cool belt can really help your outfit.
Right on. Yep, I think that might've been the show....she was a thicker woman with long, dark straight hair (and very damn annoying!).Good to know that belts aren't going away anytime soon.

I always thought belts were a really good way to complete the outfit.

I have to wear a belt with some of my jeans or they fall down. :shrug:In the summer with a casual outfit, I rock light colored fabric (non leather) belts.

In the summer with a casual outfit, I rock light colored fabric (non leather) belts.
Like this?
:lmao: I was thinking more like this
I wonder when suspenders will come back. I see more and more people rocking them nowadays. I think the only way I'd do it is with a suit but I still don't feel comfortable. Mad Men has probably helped the resurgence.
The judge I worked for pulled off the suspenders quite well ten years ago. Big huge tall dude. He also pulled off the tie bar. :shrug:

I never wear a belt with jeans. Just don't see the point. My jeans fit, so there's no functional benefit. And my shirt isn't tucked in, so there's no visual benefit. :shrug:

In the summer with a casual outfit, I rock light colored fabric (non leather) belts.
Like this?
I wonder when suspenders will come back. I see more and more people rocking them nowadays. I think the only way I'd do it is with a suit but I still don't feel comfortable. Mad Men has probably helped the resurgence.
In the hip-hop fashion world they are in....they are worn slung down and don't really serve a purpose of holding up pants though.Couple of pics I found of non-hip hoppers rockin' it:

http://www.splendicity.com/sheknowsbest/fi...nts-1-thumb.jpg

http://www.splendicity.com/sheknowsbest/fi...nts-2-thumb.jpg

http://images.b105.com.au/2008/08/04/44477...phy-600x400.jpg

I never wear a belt with jeans. Just don't see the point. My jeans fit, so there's no functional benefit. And my shirt isn't tucked in, so there's no visual benefit. :shrug:
i find the act of a girl removing said belt to be quite a turn on :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Like this?
In the hip-hop fashion world they are in....they are worn slung down and don't really serve a purpose of holding up pants though.Couple of pics I found of non-hip hoppers rockin' it:

http://www.splendicity.com/sheknowsbest/fi...nts-1-thumb.jpg

http://www.splendicity.com/sheknowsbest/fi...nts-2-thumb.jpg

http://images.b105.com.au/2008/08/04/44477...phy-600x400.jpg
Ridiculous.J

Whether one likes it or not, we are seeing a resurgence in 80's style. Fashion is on a pretty predictable 20 year cycle.

offdee said:
the moops said:
flysack said:
- if you're losing your hair to the point where you can see any glimpse of the top or crown of your head....shave it all off already and embrace your baldness. (you're not fooling anybody) (Also a great opportunity to start incorporating cool hats in to your arsenal)
What's the ruling on the Jason Statham approach? i.e. shaving your entire head with an electric trimmer, leaving a shadow beard to match your shadow balding head?
Pretty sure that is what he was talking about.Not the bic bald shave. Just a close shave like that. And of course, the few day old beard is always encouraged.
Correct. Just put the one guard on and go to town and trim that thing back down every 3 or so days. As someone said earlier as well, work that look and mix in a sweet lid every now and again...short billed cadet cap, fedora, newsboy hat or just a simple streamlined stocking hat.

I linked to it earlier but I really like some of the styles of hats they have here:

http://www.coalheadwear.com/considered/winter/
Can't go the cadet cap. Just isn't me. I wear the hell out of my Yorkshire wool "newsboy" though, and have been wearing a sweet blue wicker fedora lately as well.

I've got several Members Only knockoffs. The last thing I wanted was for them to make a comeback.
Description from site:The old school MEMBERS ONLY Jacket is back with shoulder epaulettes, snap collar and knit rib front pocket with logo. This time around the jacket has a slimmer, edgier fit. Please note that the cut of our Vintage Racer is very fitted to the body. If you like a roomier fit, please order one size up from your normal size.

- never wear pants with pleats in the front. Never.
This is wrong.
It's actually sort of right. If you're a bigger guy and can't find anything that fits, a very, very subtle pleat can be acceptable. But pleats generally look ridiculous, screw up your proportions, make men in reasonably good shape look like pear-shaped moms, and are way way out of style.I still wear pants with a pleat on occasion when I don't give a crap, only because I own them and am too cheap/lazy to replace them. However, I don't wear them on days when I care what I look like, and I know they look terrible.

I've got several Members Only knockoffs. The last thing I wanted was for them to make a comeback.
Description from site:The old school MEMBERS ONLY Jacket is back with shoulder epaulettes, snap collar and knit rib front pocket with logo. This time around the jacket has a slimmer, edgier fit. Please note that the cut of our Vintage Racer is very fitted to the body. If you like a roomier fit, please order one size up from your normal size.
Yup, the members only thing is happening. Blame the hipsters.

What's the call on guayabera shirts?
I had to look up what they were as had no idea....http://www.pennersinc.com/stores/penners/c...CottonWhite.jpg

I'm sure some guys can get away with it when they regularly work that Soho disheveled hipster look, but definitely not my cup of tea. They look too boxy and non-fitted to me (i.e. sloppy). I also personally can't stand shirts that have that second triangle flap underneath the collar.

Wow.I still have mine. It's brown lambskin complete with signs of old school scraps & a cigarette burn.

The thing about hipsters is that they think they're setting the trend in their "non-conformist, I was the first one to wear this" kinda way. Other hipsters buy into the philosophy and think they're fashionable as well.Meanwhile, everyone who isn't a hipster thinks they look like idiots.

Depends on your definition of "fashion", I guess.

Wow.I still have mine. It's brown lambskin complete with signs of old school scraps & a cigarette burn.
:thumbup: You should have that bad-boy on regular rotation with your sister's Michael Jackson Thriller jacket. You'll be the coolest cat in the yard.

:thumbup: You should have that bad-boy on regular rotation with your sister's Michael Jackson Thriller jacket You'll be the coolest cat in the yard.
Check out the Lllama's "would you wear this shirt" thread. I really can't imagine being any cooler or having more game. :coffee:

Guayaberas:

- Long-sleeve: only at a wedding

- Short-sleeve: quite acceptable with shorts in the summer. White or pastel.

Pretty common to see one paired with a short brimmed hat, khaki shorts, and flip flops. This is a modification of the traditional wedding look of the guayabera, panama hat, linen pants, and moccasins.

The thing about hipsters is that they think they're setting the trend in their "non-conformist, I was the first one to wear this" kinda way. Other hipsters buy into the philosophy and think they're fashionable as well.Meanwhile, everyone who isn't a hipster thinks they look like idiots.

Depends on your definition of "fashion", I guess.
the only problem with this line of thinking is that too many people eventually pick up the trend and then the hipsters have won. You get a bunch of guys wearing goofy jackets and sweaters telling other people what is hip. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.Offdee dont mean to sound like i am slamming you here, especially because i like a big percentage of what you are saying/wearing. I just think there are a few things you will regret in a couple years.

Also Otis your comments about the true religion jeans really ring true. Those pockets suck. Thing is, if you had to search to find the right pair where the pockets didnt look girly, I would be willing to bet that this is a pair of jeans that lands on the scrap heap before they wear out.

I have never had a problem spending a ton of money on a pair of jeans. I will have them for years. I wear them almost exclusively year round casually, as I pretty much never wear shorts. I have a nice rotation, I hang dry them, and then replace them as needed. I went through about a five year period where I never wore jeans, because I hated the way the current styles at the time were. If I see such a trend coming around again, I will be stocking up on jeans like crazy.

If I could find a good pair of jeans for < $75 I'd be all over them, but I still have not been so lucky. I went through dept. store brands as a kid and Am Eagles types during college, all of them were either not appealing to the eye or fell apart < 2 yrs after purchasing them. I started buying higher quality jeans about 3-4 years ago, none of which for < $75, I now have five pairs of different higher end jeans and all of them are good as new, I doubt I'll need to buy another one anytime soon. Long run, saving $ while wearing a better product.
I wear BKE jeans from the Buckle: http://www.buckle.com/product/product.jsp;...%7C1&NUM=16

Also Otis your comments about the true religion jeans really ring true. Those pockets suck. Thing is, if you had to search to find the right pair where the pockets didnt look girly, I would be willing to bet that this is a pair of jeans that lands on the scrap heap before they wear out.
Agreed here. True Religion are on my do not wear list for men. Way too feminine. I love to use the, "Hey GB, you're girlfriend just called and she's pissed" joke when I see someone wearing them. Too many other options to choose from.

Users who are viewing this thread