What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking to start a new league (1 Viewer)

iSnitch

Footballguy
I've played ff for several years but I'm going to start my own league this season.

My initial idea is to have much larger starting rosters without getting into IDP. I think it gives a lot more options to build a great team, and you really have to hit on some sleepers to have a monster team.

12 owners.

2 qb

3 rb

5 wr

2 te

2 k

2 d/st

I was going to do a basic scoring system. Points awarded for return yards as well. I'm also thinking rosters will be tight...only 4 backups total. It would make things awfully difficult come bye weeks and would lead to a lot of waiver wire activity.

Does anyone play in a league similar to this?

Please give constructive criticism or just flame away. Either way I appreciate the help.

ETA - Wasn't sure if this was the proper forum. If it's not, mods please move.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've played ff for several years but I'm going to start my own league this season.My initial idea is to have much larger starting rosters without getting into IDP. I think it gives a lot more options to build a great team, and you really have to hit on some sleepers to have a monster team.12 owners.2 qb3 rb5 wr2 te2 k2 d/stI was going to do a basic scoring system. Points awarded for return yards as well. I'm also thinking rosters will be tight...only 4 backups total. It would make things awfully difficult come bye weeks and would lead to a lot of waiver wire activity.Does anyone play in a league similar to this?Please give constructive criticism or just flame away. Either way I appreciate the help.ETA - Wasn't sure if this was the proper forum. If it's not, mods please move.
I created a league that is pretty similar, except using IDPs. Here is some feedback. While I definitely have my preferences, I'll try to just be objective about plusses and minuses and let you decide what you want to do from there. The biggest problem with having 2 starting QBs is that there are not enough NFL starting QBs. 4 teams at least won't have bye week fillers, and as some starters get demoted or hurt, a team might not even have 2 NFL starters. A way to negate the negatives without much downside is to make your 2nd QB a flex QB/RB. A #2 fantasy QB will almost always be a better option than a #4 fantasy RB... so it amounts to a 2nd QB slot as that is what everyone will want to start there, but gives flexibility on bye weeks or for bad injury situations that you're not taking a 0 in that spot.My league uses 1 QB, 2 RB, 1 flex QB/RB, 4 WR, 2 TE, 1 flex WR/TE (which is normally a WR), so is very similar to yours except that you have an extra RB. The 3rd RB slot will make RB be the most valuable position still though not as bad as standard lineup leagues. If some parity in value across positions is something you want, you might want to consider dropping the 3rd RB but keeping the rest the same. Also, having staggered PPR (like .25 RB, .5 WR, 1.0 TE) would also help the parity of TE and WR. In my league, the top TE would normally be a legitimate top 6 pick if we drafted (we don't, we auction).On your number of backups... small numbers of backups increases waiver transactions but decreases interaction between owners. That is, if backups are on rosters teams have to trade with each other. When the same desirable players who aren't starting are on waivers, no trades are needed. I tend to put a premium on interaction between owners since most of my leagues exist to bring my friends together and help us stay in touch. Also, one can make some arguments both ways on whether few backup spots help or hurt more skilled owners, but I think the hurting more skilled owners is what wins out. While there is skill necessary in juggling only a few spots... I think the bigger impact is that the skilled owner who can identify values in the draft/auction won't have roster space to be able to do anything with them and so will lose out to the guy who has to wait and see the player doing well during the season.On return yards, one idea that I went with and love is that we have a separate team kick return unit. While we have IDPs, you could still do the same separate from your team defense. It would get any punt or kick return yards and TDs, while your team D would get turnover points, yardage allowed, points allowed, etc.Other ideas there if you're looking for a larger league.... head coach position ,where you get points if your head coaches NFL team wins, and additional points for margin of victory. We go with 3 points for a win and 1 additional fantasy point for each 2 points in margin of victory. So a 10 point NFL win would be worth 8 fantasy points. A 30 point blow out would be worth 18. Nice thing about it is that it's an area where skill in predicting NFL success can really show through.Another idea is to add punters. After 4 seasons using them and a lot of thought I prefer just going with gross punting yards and not giving points for inside the 20. Reason there being predictability again... the punters on bad teams will tend to be the good fantasy punters, especially if you just have points for yards. But if you give inside the 20, it tends to lessen the gap between the top and bottom ones. We used to use 1/20 yardage but are changing to 1/25 because punters can have big variances in their weekly scores and I wanted to lessen their weekly impact a bit.The same comment about not being enough QBs for 2 QB also could apply to kickers. If you did like punters I could see going with a 1 K, 1 P, and 1 flex. Oh, and if you do go with punters, I suggest you make sure that kickers only get FG/PAT points and that punters only get punting points. If you have an NFL player who both punts and kicks it can make him one of the most valuable players in the league if you allowed them both points. Normally I allow any player to get points for anything he does, but this is one place I make an exception.

The biggest problem with having 2 starting QBs is that there are not enough NFL starting QBs. 4 teams at least won't have bye week fillers, and as some starters get demoted or hurt, a team might not even have 2 NFL starters. A way to negate the negatives without much downside is to make your 2nd QB a flex QB/RB. A #2 fantasy QB will almost always be a better option than a #4 fantasy RB... so it amounts to a 2nd QB slot as that is what everyone will want to start there, but gives flexibility on bye weeks or for bad injury situations that you're not taking a 0 in that spot.
This is a great point. I don't care if injuries hit as there is always the backup to pick up. Bye weeks would make it too difficult.
My league uses 1 QB, 2 RB, 1 flex QB/RB, 4 WR, 2 TE, 1 flex WR/TE (which is normally a WR), so is very similar to yours except that you have an extra RB. The 3rd RB slot will make RB be the most valuable position still though not as bad as standard lineup leagues. If some parity in value across positions is something you want, you might want to consider dropping the 3rd RB but keeping the rest the same. Also, having staggered PPR (like .25 RB, .5 WR, 1.0 TE) would also help the parity of TE and WR. In my league, the top TE would normally be a legitimate top 6 pick if we drafted (we don't, we auction).
I've just never been a fan of ppr, so I don't think I'll go that route. I understand it and think it makes sense, but I just don't care for it. I thought 3 rb's might be too much. I thought about requiring another wr to help balance it out but I'll probably just end up dropping down to 2 rb's. My concern is that the qb's then become too valuable.
On your number of backups... small numbers of backups increases waiver transactions but decreases interaction between owners. That is, if backups are on rosters teams have to trade with each other. When the same desirable players who aren't starting are on waivers, no trades are needed. I tend to put a premium on interaction between owners since most of my leagues exist to bring my friends together and help us stay in touch. Also, one can make some arguments both ways on whether few backup spots help or hurt more skilled owners, but I think the hurting more skilled owners is what wins out. While there is skill necessary in juggling only a few spots... I think the bigger impact is that the skilled owner who can identify values in the draft/auction won't have roster space to be able to do anything with them and so will lose out to the guy who has to wait and see the player doing well during the season.
Sold. I love interaction and trades between owners. I'll figure out a better roster size. I don't want anything ridiculous but I'll add to it.
On return yards, one idea that I went with and love is that we have a separate team kick return unit. While we have IDPs, you could still do the same separate from your team defense. It would get any punt or kick return yards and TDs, while your team D would get turnover points, yardage allowed, points allowed, etc.
I've toyed with this idea as well. I just don't know which site I'll use to host the league. As such, I wanted to wait to see if the site could accommodate this. It would be nice but it's not crucial.

Other ideas there if you're looking for a larger league.... head coach position ,where you get points if your head coaches NFL team wins, and additional points for margin of victory. We go with 3 points for a win and 1 additional fantasy point for each 2 points in margin of victory. So a 10 point NFL win would be worth 8 fantasy points. A 30 point blow out would be worth 18. Nice thing about it is that it's an area where skill in predicting NFL success can really show through.
I've heard of people doing the head coach thing before. Interesting idea...I like it! An idea I had tossed around for defenses consisted of finding the average # of points scored per game. Your D gets that much to start the game. They lose a point for every point they surrender. So let's say on average, teams score 20 ppg. You pick the Steelers but they give up 30 that week. -10 from your defense. You would of course still get points for picks, fumbles, sacks, etc. I'm still figuring out exactly how to refine that idea. I don't want to make a defense the most powerful roster spot in the game.
Another idea is to add punters. After 4 seasons using them and a lot of thought I prefer just going with gross punting yards and not giving points for inside the 20. Reason there being predictability again... the punters on bad teams will tend to be the good fantasy punters, especially if you just have points for yards. But if you give inside the 20, it tends to lessen the gap between the top and bottom ones. We used to use 1/20 yardage but are changing to 1/25 because punters can have big variances in their weekly scores and I wanted to lessen their weekly impact a bit.The same comment about not being enough QBs for 2 QB also could apply to kickers. If you did like punters I could see going with a 1 K, 1 P, and 1 flex. Oh, and if you do go with punters, I suggest you make sure that kickers only get FG/PAT points and that punters only get punting points. If you have an NFL player who both punts and kicks it can make him one of the most valuable players in the league if you allowed them both points. Normally I allow any player to get points for anything he does, but this is one place I make an exception.
I don't think I'm quite ready to start awarding points to the punters. A lot of my ideas will be a big enough change for the owners so maybe I'll save that one for another year. Thank you for the feedback.

1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1D, 1K 1 flex (QB, RB, WR, TE). PPR - RB .5, WR 1, TE 1.5

The key is having QBs score a lot more (6pt TDs, 1pt 20yds). That way, it behooves everyone to make sure they are using/finding QBs for their flex spot, not other positions. Basically, if they aren't proactive in getting that 2nd QB, which also induces trades, their back's against the wall. However, in a pinch, they are not totally screwed, and can start a RB, WR or TE.

The first four or five rounds are very balanced in this format. The bottom drafters are not disadvantaged, and guys can use a multitude of draft strategies.

It's not real complicated either; we didn't want to get too detailed. I love it.

Knobs said:
Any other league setup advice people can offer?
1 college player per roster feature. Interesting twist that allows another level of strategy involved on how to build a team.

Knobs said:
Any other league setup advice people can offer?
1 college player per roster feature. Interesting twist that allows another level of strategy involved on how to build a team.
I don't get it. Could you explain this one a bit more?
Phenomz Dynasty: 14 teams, 24 players per roster. (copied from League Constitution)I. College Players

One (1) College player is allowed per roster and can be held onto as long as desired, meaning teams will continue to own that player when they get drafted into the NFL, and another draft pick will not need to be forfeited to keep that College player when they turn pro. A College player is not mandatory to own, it is up to the owner if they want to make room for them on their roster. The college player needs to have lost at least one year of college eligibility to be drafted (so essentially a Sophomore, Junior or Senior). The College player is part of the roster, so room would need to be made for that player (not a separate taxi squad). College players can be drafted during our league Draft period only (not during any other FA pick up period throughout the year).

One week after the official underclassmen NFL declaration deadline has passed (late January) all college players now eligible for the upcoming NFL Draft are no longer considered “college players” and the one college player roster spot opens up for a new college prospect to be traded for or picked during our next Draft if desired.

There is to be a minimum of zero and a maximum of one college player per roster at all times. The deadline to decide whether to keep a college player on the roster, or release him to be available in our next Phenomz draft will be the Friday before the NFL draft at 5pm CST. Former owners of any dropped college players at this deadline are allowed to draft that same college player again during the next Draft. Any owners choosing to keep their present college player at this deadline are not allowed to drop that college player until the completion of our Draft period. All locked and drafted college players are allowed to be traded, but not allowed to be dropped at any time during the draft period. If a trade is made during the draft period that puts two or more college players on any one roster, that trade will be immediately nulified and reversed.

College players are not allowed to be used in starting lineups until they are part of an NFL roster (thus, not making them “college players” anymore). College players can be traded like any other player/pick, but if a team acquires a second college player in a trade, or by any other means, than one of the two college players will need to be waived immediately (only one College player allowed per roster). If a college player is ever dropped from a roster, at any time, than they go back into the pool available for everyone again at our next league Draft period. The College player for each team will be entered into the website as “(Owner Name’s) College Player” as a generic placeholder and the specific College player owned for each team will be listed and updated in a thread on the message board (in same thread where future draft picks are tracked for easy reference).

As a follow up to the 1 College Player per roster post, here is how our draft shook out this year (as a visual of how it works)

1.01 RB- Donald Brown (Colts) Blue Steel

1.02 WR- Dez Bryant (Oklahoma St.) Serenity Now

1.03 WR- Arrelious Benn (Illinois) Blue Steel

1.04 RB- Jonathan Dwyer (Georgia Tech) Chosen Ones

1.05 RB- Shonn Greene (Jets) Serenity Now

1.06 WR- Hakeem Nicks (Giants) Pride of Pei Mei

1.07 QB- Mark Sanchez (Jets) Wrecking Crew

1.08 WR- Jeremy Maclin (Eagles) SYD Terrapin

1.09 RB- Jahvid Best (Cal) Weaselicious

1.10 RB- LaGarrette Blount (Oregon) Helmet Heads

1.11 WR- Kenny Britt (Titans) Phoenix Rising

1.12 RB- Andre Brown (Giants) Bear's Lair