What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPhone Drafting App (1 Viewer)

DiehardPacker

Footballguy
I created an iPhone and iTouch app to replace paper cheatsheets. It is called Studs & Duds Fantasy Football Draft Kit. We have overall player rankings, positional rankings, bye week warnings before you draft a player, view of your drafted players and a count by position. It also has a wish list parking lot. This can be used to take your Football Guys information and set up players you want to draft and rank them in the order you like them by simply touching the player and moving them up or down in rank.

My goal was to have something on my iPhone that is portable. If I am listening to the Audible and hear about a player I can go into the app and add that player to my wish list. It helps you prepare for your draft as information comes to you.

The first version was just released and I am looking for feedback to make it better. What type of information is important to you when drafting.

Some additional items I am considering adding:

Ability to type in notes about a player

Eliminating a player you don't like from the draft list

The ability to plug in the number of teams in your league and your draft position and run a mock draft.

Any feedback is appreciated.

I would recommend a lite version for people to test out for free, I would give that a shot but am not going to pay $1.99 for something I have a feeling I probably wouldn't use. I have a ton of iPhone apps but use my laptop and don't rely on paper cheatsheets so not sure how the iPhone app would help since all my drafting is done through my laptop anyways.

Either way, good luck!

I would recommend a lite version for people to test out for free, I would give that a shot but am not going to pay $1.99 for something I have a feeling I probably wouldn't use. I have a ton of iPhone apps but use my laptop and don't rely on paper cheatsheets so not sure how the iPhone app would help since all my drafting is done through my laptop anyways.Either way, good luck!
I struggle with what to include in a light version. In my 4 leagues at least 90% of the people still bring paper. I have at least 2 to 3 guys in each league that buy a magazine or print a cheatsheet off the internet right before the draft. That might be why I win.Would you buy a .99 cent app?

DiehardPacker said:
CA_7 said:
I would recommend a lite version for people to test out for free, I would give that a shot but am not going to pay $1.99 for something I have a feeling I probably wouldn't use. I have a ton of iPhone apps but use my laptop and don't rely on paper cheatsheets so not sure how the iPhone app would help since all my drafting is done through my laptop anyways.Either way, good luck!
I struggle with what to include in a light version. In my 4 leagues at least 90% of the people still bring paper. I have at least 2 to 3 guys in each league that buy a magazine or print a cheatsheet off the internet right before the draft. That might be why I win.Would you buy a .99 cent app?
No. I don't know anybody who pays for an app until they know it is worth it. That is why there are so many lite (advertising supported) versions.

I think one way to do a lite app is to limit the number of players you can add to wish lists and the number of rounds it will work. Put ALL the features in and just limit it to work for 6 rounds or so. Limit the wish list to 5 guys or something. You want people to get the full experience but you want to give them a reason to buy the full app.

Do you have a video of it working? You should be able to throw one up on youtube to show how the app works and what it can do. That would help if you don't have a lite version.

I see there is a customized ranking. It would be nice to be able to bring rankings in from google apps. That way I could take any rankings I have in an excel spreadsheet and pull them in. Either that or just pull from an excel file.

I don't see ADP in there. Having ADP is pretty important to me.

If you add the mock draft things it would also be nice to have a screen that says what teams have what players/positions (positions is more important). I like to see how many qbs have gone off the board and what team they are on, especially if we are coming up on the turn.

DiehardPacker said:
CA_7 said:
I would recommend a lite version for people to test out for free, I would give that a shot but am not going to pay $1.99 for something I have a feeling I probably wouldn't use. I have a ton of iPhone apps but use my laptop and don't rely on paper cheatsheets so not sure how the iPhone app would help since all my drafting is done through my laptop anyways.

Either way, good luck!
No. I don't know anybody who pays for an app until they know it is worth it. That is why there are so many lite (advertising supported) versions.
Add me to this list.

I dropped the price to .99 cents for this weekend. I will work on the lite version but would rather spend the time add functionality.

Thanks for the ideas!

Add me to the list that will not pay to try it.

BUT if you need someone to try it and give feedback I will look it over if there is a way to send it to me.

Ability to type in notes about a playerEliminating a player you don't like from the draft listThe ability to plug in the number of teams in your league and your draft position and run a mock draft.Any feedback is appreciated.
Plus no ADP ... its in beta
I need to be able to add players to the lists. My league is too deep for what is available on the app. Guess I'm a "sucka." Thank God I can afford an extra buck here and there...

Ability to type in notes about a playerEliminating a player you don't like from the draft listThe ability to plug in the number of teams in your league and your draft position and run a mock draft.Any feedback is appreciated.
Plus no ADP ... its in beta
I need to be able to add players to the lists. My league is too deep for what is available on the app. Guess I'm a "sucka." Thank God I can afford an extra buck here and there...
Thanks for the feedback. I thought about adding players but it gets tricky with the database and the search feature. Do you need IDPs or do you go deep on offense? I could load the entire NFL but it is not needed for most.

Some additional items I am considering adding:Ability to type in notes about a playerEliminating a player you don't like from the draft listThe ability to plug in the number of teams in your league and your draft position and run a mock draft.Any feedback is appreciated.
I am definitely for having the ability to run a mock draft. Five minutes into playing with the app and you have a very solid foundation.

Will you be able to import rankings/stats projections in from a site like Football Guys? Or do you just adjust the player rankings? Being able to run mock drafts would be fantastic, but what about keeper leagues? Can you assign players to teams at certain draft picks before you start the mock draft?

:whistle:

just thinking out loud but a promo code would be a great incentive for some people to try the app and to write a glowing review at itunes

I think one way to do a lite app is to limit the number of players you can add to wish lists and the number of rounds it will work. Put ALL the features in and just limit it to work for 6 rounds or so. Limit the wish list to 5 guys or something. You want people to get the full experience but you want to give them a reason to buy the full app.Do you have a video of it working? You should be able to throw one up on youtube to show how the app works and what it can do. That would help if you don't have a lite version.
:goodposting: I agree with this -- set up a free app that only works for 5 rounds or so to let people try it out and see if they think it's worthwhile. A youtube video would be the next best thing if you can't do a lite app. The idea is to help people figure out if they really want it or not before they buy. I'd pay $1.99 or $2.99 if I were sure I liked the app, but it annoys me to pay even $0.99 on a mystery app and then find out that it's bad/useless/etc.As for suggestions for the app itself, the ability to import projections and/or rankings from FBG or from a spreadsheet (with FBG projections/rankings :thumbup: ) would be a great feature.Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
:whistle: just thinking out loud but a promo code would be a great incentive for some people to try the app and to write a glowing review at itunes
In all fairness to the OP, he sent me a promo code but I had no Idea where to put it and just bought it It is ok. Very elementary. Can't really change things. I sent a bunch of ideas but don't think the OP is making this for this crowd.

I appreciate all the feedback from those who tried the application. I realize that the level of skill and knowledge on this board far exceeds what I can put in a mobile device. The target audience is your casual player or someone who needs information in a pinch. I believe it is a good mobile tool to use while waiting for meetings, dr appts, etc where you can create a wish list and rank player to give yourself a draft strategy when you don't have a laptop or computer available. For the newbie or causal fan it is a great tool to replace a magazine and keep you from making simple mistakes like drafting two RBs on the same bye week or not know at a glance what positions you need to draft.

I have taken the comments provided and will be adding some more features to the app in the near future. I still hope to make Studs & Duds Draft Kit a great app for iPhone and iTouch users that even the best fantasy football owners can use.

I think one way to do a lite app is to limit the number of players you can add to wish lists and the number of rounds it will work. Put ALL the features in and just limit it to work for 6 rounds or so. Limit the wish list to 5 guys or something. You want people to get the full experience but you want to give them a reason to buy the full app.Do you have a video of it working? You should be able to throw one up on youtube to show how the app works and what it can do. That would help if you don't have a lite version.
:lmao: Any sort of draft tracker is really hamstringing itself if it doesn't include ADP listings. I can adjust my rankings as much as I want, but some sort of guide as to what the rest of the league is thinking sure would be handy.

:lmao: Any sort of draft tracker is really hamstringing itself if it doesn't include ADP listings. I can adjust my rankings as much as I want, but some sort of guide as to what the rest of the league is thinking sure would be handy.
The idea of adding ADP was a popular request. I will be adding that in the next release or two.

DiehardPacker said:
The idea of adding ADP was a popular request. I will be adding that in the next release or two.
:( I do have questions about future releases/updates -- Does the app handles those automatically or would we have to tell the app to update itself?Also, will the rosters and players be updated as training camps wear on, or would we have to do that ourselves? For example, I would guess that Farve would be listed as a free agent (if he's listed at all) on the current app. If/when he signs with Minnesota, would the next release have him listed as a Viking?

DiehardPacker said:
:kicksrock: I do have questions about future releases/updates -- Does the app handles those automatically or would we have to tell the app to update itself?Also, will the rosters and players be updated as training camps wear on, or would we have to do that ourselves? For example, I would guess that Farve would be listed as a free agent (if he's listed at all) on the current app. If/when he signs with Minnesota, would the next release have him listed as a Viking?
I will put out updates like Mason retiring and adding Farve when he finally decides to come to camp. Farve is listed now as a free agent. You would get a notification on the iphone that the app has an update and the player information will be loaded at the click of a button. All other previous information will still be saved.

The app is a really well done app for the novice or even average joe . ADP , IDP and the ability to make your own list would be very useful as well as some stats.

this is the type of app that if you can get the word out might do pretty well

btw diehard you should go over to mac rumors & post your app info in the app forum

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133

You should check out Fantasy Football Cheatsheet '09. It has all the features you could think of and includes news updates for all the players. Check out 290design.net for more information. $.99 you can't beat that price. For two years running this app has been the best cheatsheet on the iphone.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore...409144&mt=8

I see there is a customized ranking. It would be nice to be able to bring rankings in from google apps. That way I could take any rankings I have in an excel spreadsheet and pull them in. Either that or just pull from an excel file.

I don't see ADP in there. Having ADP is pretty important to me.

If you add the mock draft things it would also be nice to have a screen that says what teams have what players/positions (positions is more important). I like to see how many qbs have gone off the board and what team they are on, especially if we are coming up on the turn.

You should check out Fantasy Football Cheatsheet '09. It has all the features you could think of and includes news updates for all the players. Check out 290design.net for more information.

I see there is a customized ranking. It would be nice to be able to bring rankings in from google apps. That way I could take any rankings I have in an excel spreadsheet and pull them in. Either that or just pull from an excel file.I don't see ADP in there. Having ADP is pretty important to me. If you add the mock draft things it would also be nice to have a screen that says what teams have what players/positions (positions is more important). I like to see how many qbs have gone off the board and what team they are on, especially if we are coming up on the turn.
I dont see a cost on your website.

The app is $0.99 cents. For all those features, you cannot beat that price.

You should check out Fantasy Football Cheatsheet '09. It has all the features you could think of and includes news updates for all the players. Check out 290design.net for more information.

I see there is a customized ranking. It would be nice to be able to bring rankings in from google apps. That way I could take any rankings I have in an excel spreadsheet and pull them in. Either that or just pull from an excel file.I don't see ADP in there. Having ADP is pretty important to me. If you add the mock draft things it would also be nice to have a screen that says what teams have what players/positions (positions is more important). I like to see how many qbs have gone off the board and what team they are on, especially if we are coming up on the turn.
I dont see a cost on your website.

Add Mocks and ADP and I will download

I created Studs & Duds Fantasy Football Draft Kit. I will not trash my competitions product. It is very well done an a great value. I believe the ability to customize the ranking by your league scorings, the ability to not only create a wish list but to create a ranking of the wish list players, the ability to save multiple leagues, and bye week warnings is what makes us different. Ours is clean and easy to use.

Either way they are great mobile apps.

I created Studs & Duds Fantasy Football Draft Kit. I will not trash my competitions product. It is very well done an a great value. I believe the ability to customize the ranking by your league scorings, the ability to not only create a wish list but to create a ranking of the wish list players, the ability to save multiple leagues, and bye week warnings is what makes us different. Ours is clean and easy to use.

Your information highly inaccurate, your app is not nearly as unique as the picture your painting. Fantasy Football Cheatsheet '09 has all of the features you mentioned except for customized scoring and bye week warnings. I do like your cheatsheet, it has a nice clean interface. The problem is it's lacking a LOT of very important information. My cheatsheet, which happens to be the #1 selling cheatsheet on iPhone for 2 years running, has many features that your missing. To list just a few:Key features of Fantasy Football Cheatsheet '09:

- ADP and AAV updated daily from myfantasyleague.com

- 2008 season stats for each player

- 2009 projected stats for each player

- Save draft info for multiple leagues

- Re-order players by position, overall, AND in wishlist

Coming in 2.1 update (sent to apple a week ago so release is imminent)

- Up to the minute player news provided by Rotoworld.com

- Up to the minute player injury info provided by Rotoworld.com

- Depth chart info for all players, provided by Rotoworld.com

Customized rankings based on league scoring system and bye week warnings will be added in version 2.2.

All of those features for the sale price of .99 cents. You can't beat that value anywhere.

If you want the full package, get Fantasy Football Cheatsheet '09

Check it out at www.290design.net

Your information highly inaccurate, your app is not nearly as unique as the picture your painting. Fantasy Football Cheatsheet '09 has all of the features you mentioned except for customized scoring and bye week warnings. I do like your cheatsheet, it has a nice clean interface. The problem is it's lacking a LOT of very important information. My cheatsheet, which happens to be the #1 selling cheatsheet on iPhone for 2 years running, has many features that your missing. To list just a few:Key features of Fantasy Football Cheatsheet '09:

- ADP and AAV updated dailyid=322409144&mt=8"]Fantasy Football Cheatsheet '09

Why knock diehardpackers product ?Sell your own app on its merrits without looking bad by down talking a competitor .

Just bought it. Like it a lot so far...

ETA: Any way to make it .5PPR? I don't see a decimal point.

HellToupee said:
Sigma4Life said:
DiehardPacker said:

- ADP and AAV updated dailyid=322409144&mt=8"]Fantasy Football Cheatsheet '09

Why knock diehardpackers product ?Sell your own app on its merrits without looking bad by down talking a competitor .
If I came off as putting his app down then I apologize, that certainly was not my intent. As I said in the previous reply I do like his app, it's very clean and does it's intended function very well. I was pointing out that he mentioned his app has certain features and implied that the other app didn't do the very same thing.

CheatSheet 09 is a great product. I was looking at an earlier version and in the current version they do have some great new features.

My reason for the orginial post was to gather information and this group (as usual) did a great job of providing excellent feedback.

Studs & Duds Draft Kit is for newbie to causal fan. Clean and easy to use. That audience that would use this app does not need the information that a seasoned owner would need.

I will stop posting to this thread as I gathered the infomation I was looking for.

Good Luck to all in the '09 season.

CheatSheet 09 is a great product. I was looking at an earlier version and in the current version they do have some great new features.My reason for the orginial post was to gather information and this group (as usual) did a great job of providing excellent feedback.Studs & Duds Draft Kit is for newbie to causal fan. Clean and easy to use. That audience that would use this app does not need the information that a seasoned owner would need.I will stop posting to this thread as I gathered the infomation I was looking for. Good Luck to all in the '09 season.
Oh I see. Good luck with your app. I hope everyone here has a great fantasy football season.

There's actually a third one out there, iDraft Fantasy Football Cheatsheet

(In the interest of disclosure I know one of the guys who wrote it.)

Anyway each of the 3 have their relative merits. For instance, Studs has custom scoring. Cheatsheet 09 has daily updates. iDraft has the draft order and depth charts. It also includes IDP.

I think I've seen ADP but cannot remember which has which.

So it comes down to the style of the UI you like and the features want most.

Hey DieHardPacker.

Just DL'd your app. Very nice (saw you made some modifications in 1.1).

Will you be updating the projections?

jburns said:
Hey DieHardPacker.

Just DL'd your app. Very nice (saw you made some modifications in 1.1).

Will you be updating the projections?
Thanks for the feedback. We will have updated projections and player status updated soon. iTunes

Users who are viewing this thread