What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Projectorguys (1 Viewer)

Random

Footballguy
Thinking I can squeeze another $1000-$1500 into the basement without a problem. Was planning on just doing the wiring for a projector theater to be finished in a few years, but if I can get this done fairly cheap I may go ahead with it. Not wanting to get junk but am open to used equipment. Checking craigslist. What model/brand should I be on the lookout for?

Wasn't there a footballguy that started a projector website?

updated at post #8

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a mitsu hc3000 and a screen for around $600 off ebay. The screen i bought was from magnum screens. 100 inch fixed screen. The mitsu was used. It is very possible to get in under $1500.

The one you want to buy is this one. It can be had for around $1k ($964 at Amazon) and is better than the Sanyo Z5, much less the Z4.

I *think* I've got it narrowed down to these 4

Optoma HD65 for $750 @ Amazon (Ebay for $650 shipped one @ $580 right now - might bid on this)

Mitsubishi HC1600 for $697 @ Amazon (one on Ebay currently @ $450 - might bid on this)

Epson Home 720 for $974 @ Amazon

Panasonic AX200 for $999 @ Amazon

Not sure if its worth the $$$ jump to the second two.

Questions:

The first two are 720p DLP and the second two are 720p 3LCD. Is this something noticeable to the casual viewer?

Same thing for the contrast ratio. The mitsu has 2500 and the Epson has 10,000. Is this noticeable?

I'll be hooking this up to my existing HK 225 receiver with Polk 5.1 speakers. I dont think the HK has a HDMI input. Is this a problem?

Thanks to anyone willing to help.

Optoma HD65 for $750 @ Amazon (Ebay for $650 shipped one @ $580 right now - might bid on this)

Mitsubishi HC1600 for $697 @ Amazon (one on Ebay currently @ $450 - might bid on this)

Questions:

The first two are 720p DLP and the second two are 720p 3LCD. Is this something noticeable to the casual viewer?

Same thing for the contrast ratio. The mitsu has 2500 and the Epson has 10,000. Is this noticeable?

I'll be hooking this up to my existing HK 225 receiver with Polk 5.1 speakers. I dont think the HK has a HDMI input. Is this a problem?

From a screen image quality, you may experience a slightly worse picture if you're not using HDMI - I'm not sure if it will be noticeable. More importantly, I found it much easier to have all video sources (cable, DVD, video games) plug into the receiver with a single output going from receiver to projector (HMDI in my case). This makes it easier to wire, and easier to flip from one source to another via remote control. Depending on your setup, changing the video source on the projector can be a inconvenience if you're doing it frequently. I would imagine that for many set-ups, effort into reducing ambient light in the room will make a bigger difference than the brand of projector.

Questions:The first two are 720p DLP and the second two are 720p 3LCD. Is this something noticeable to the casual viewer? Same thing for the contrast ratio. The mitsu has 2500 and the Epson has 10,000. Is this noticeable?
There are a certain number of people that have trouble viewing DLPs due to what's called the "rainbow effect". Do a google of "rainbow effect dlp" to get an idea of what I'm talking about.There will be a significantly noticeable difference between contrast ratios. The blacks will have more of a grayish tint the smaller the contrast ratio number.

Quick question - I noticed none of these have coax input. Does this mean I'll need to get a cable box to watch tv on it?

Questions:

From a screen image quality, you may experience a slightly worse picture if you're not using HDMI - I'm not sure if it will be noticeable. More importantly, I found it much easier to have all video sources (cable, DVD, video games) plug into the receiver with a single output going from receiver to projector (HMDI in my case). This makes it easier to wire, and easier to flip from one source to another via remote control. Depending on your setup, changing the video source on the projector can be a inconvenience if you're doing it frequently. I would imagine that for many set-ups, effort into reducing ambient light in the room will make a bigger difference than the brand of projector.
This is my set up. Onkyo 606 (I think that is the model number) has 4 HDMI inputs on the back. Wire everything into it and switch between DVD and Dish using the Onkyo Remote. Very simple.

HHGregg said they could get me the Epson HC6100 (they carry the 700 and 6100) + a BluRay player for $1699. :unsure:

I *think* I've got it narrowed down to these 4Optoma HD65 for $750 @ Amazon (Ebay for $650 shipped one @ $580 right now - might bid on this)
This is the one I have had for about a year now. I didn't pay but like 600 for it shipped then. Shop around. It's a real good machine for the money. I just shot it on a white wall. Never bothered to get a screen.

I *think* I've got it narrowed down to these 4Optoma HD65 for $750 @ Amazon (Ebay for $650 shipped one @ $580 right now - might bid on this)
This is the one I have had for about a year now. I didn't pay but like 600 for it shipped then. Shop around. It's a real good machine for the money. I just shot it on a white wall. Never bothered to get a screen.
from where?

from where?
ebay buy it now.

from where?
ebay buy it now.
nice. referb?

HHGregg said they could get me the Epson HC6100 (they carry the 700 and 6100) + a BluRay player for $1699. :unsure:
.. Or the 700 for 799 with a BluRay player which I'm now considering. Only drawback to this one is that it only has a contrast ratio of 2000:1. But it puts out 2000 lumens. Still not sure about the contrast ratio thing. Is this really something noticeable in your home or only noticeable in the store beside a 10,000:1 model. :goodposting:

.. Or the 700 for 799 with a BluRay player which I'm now considering. Only drawback to this one is that it only has a contrast ratio of 2000:1. But it puts out 2000 lumens. Still not sure about the contrast ratio thing. Is this really something noticeable in your home or only noticeable in the store beside a 10,000:1 model. :yawn:
Lots of specs are room specific. If you don't have a dark room to shoot in then you have to adjust your budget.

I thought about going with the projector and screen when I was doing my basement but I ended up putting an LCD on the wall. It was very tempting since I already had a projector and saw screens at Monoprice.com for a great price. A bulkhead prevented me from being able to place it in an ideal location.

I have this projector brand new, never used that I will sell real cheap if anyone is interested. I really have no use for it now.

Thinking of upgrading to 1080p if anyone's interested in my used Panny AE900u on the cheap.
Which 1080 are you looking at? I think the Optoma HD20 has moved to first on my list. Seems like an incredible deal.
Best Buy had the Epson 6100 on sale a couple weeks back for $1700 and 3 years same as cash. I was going to pull the trigger but they sold out.The Sanyo Z3000 can be had for $2k right now. That's a pretty screaming deal to get into the "2nd level" of 1080p.

Drifter said:
Random said:
Drifter said:
Thinking of upgrading to 1080p if anyone's interested in my used Panny AE900u on the cheap.
Which 1080 are you looking at? I think the Optoma HD20 has moved to first on my list. Seems like an incredible deal.
Best Buy had the Epson 6100 on sale a couple weeks back for $1700 and 3 years same as cash. I was going to pull the trigger but they sold out.
HHGregg has this right now. I was told I could get a free Blu ray player too.

Ordered :lmao: Projectorpeople have this in stock.

Now, who can advise me on how to properly set this up? ;)
optomas are cake to set up. What questions do you have?
Wires, cables, where to, where from, ect.My system will have:

Optoma HD20 projector

Harmon Kardon 225 AVR (no HDMI)

Polk Audio 5.1 surround sound with 10" sub

*BluRay* player - advice on what to get???
Somebody may have said this, but the easiest thing to do is to get a A/V receiver with lots of HDMI input jacks and then run one HDMI cable to the projector plus AC. Short of that you'll just have to get a mux. For BR just get a PS3. It's fine as a BR player and also can play games and do some other crap.

Ordered :rolleyes: Projectorpeople have this in stock.

Now, who can advise me on how to properly set this up? :rolleyes:

Optoma HD20 projector

Somebody may have said this, but the easiest thing to do is to get a A/V receiver with lots of HDMI input jacks and then run one HDMI cable to the projector plus AC. Short of that you'll just have to get a mux. For BR just get a PS3. It's fine as a BR player and also can play games and do some other crap.
Really not wanting to replace my receiver. Is a PS3 the best BR player for the money?

Ordered :mellow: Projectorpeople have this in stock.

Now, who can advise me on how to properly set this up? :shrug:

Optoma HD20 projector

Assuming I'll be using HDMI for video, what kind should I use for audio?

Really not wanting to replace my receiver. Is a PS3 the best BR player for the money?
Yes.
Does it matter if I get the 80 or 160?
No. Unless you plan on using it as a media center type device, where you're going to download a lot of movies and/or music to it.All I use my PS3 for is as a BluRay player. I use a fraction of what it's designed for.
I could be wrong. But I thought there were some other differences. At least when they first came out. As far as how to hook up the audio. Use the digital coax and optical. Not the red and white if possible

Yes.
Does it matter if I get the 80 or 160?
No. Unless you plan on using it as a media center type device, where you're going to download a lot of movies and/or music to it.All I use my PS3 for is as a BluRay player. I use a fraction of what it's designed for.
I could be wrong. But I thought there were some other differences. At least when they first came out. As far as how to hook up the audio. Use the digital coax and optical. Not the red and white if possible
The difference was between the earlier 60/40/20 gb models and their ability to be backwards compatible with PS2 games, I think.There is no difference between 80/160 in this regard. IIRC neither are backwards compatible with PS2.

Ordered :blackdot: Projectorpeople have this in stock.

Now, who can advise me on how to properly set this up? :bag:

Optoma HD20 projector

Any help here?

Wires, cables, where to, where from, ect.My system will have:Optoma HD20 projectorHarmon Kardon 225 AVR (no HDMI)Polk Audio 5.1 surround sound with 10" sub*BluRay* player - advice on what to get???
HDMI does both audio and video. Also, no need to send an audio signal to your projector. I vote PS3 for BluRay

Wires, cables, where to, where from, ect.My system will have:Optoma HD20 projectorHarmon Kardon 225 AVR (no HDMI)Polk Audio 5.1 surround sound with 10" sub*BluRay* player - advice on what to get???
HDMI does both audio and video. Also, no need to send an audio signal to your projector. I vote PS3 for BluRay
His receiver doesn't have HDMI. That's why he needs to use Digital Optical.

Wires, cables, where to, where from, ect.

My system will have:

Optoma HD20 projector

:thumbup: Ok, so HHGregg has the LG BD370 for $199. From the reviews on AVS forums this is a screaming player and price. Think I'll go this route as I have no desire to get a PS3.

Wires, cables, where to, where from, ect.

My system will have:

Optoma HD20 projector

Would this be the correct way to set this up?Cable --> Cable Box (COAX) --> Projector (HDMI) & AVR (Optical)

BluRay--> Projector (HDMI) & AVR (Optical)

Also are these HDMI cables 720 or 1080? Or was that a load of bull from the HHGregg dude?

That's what I thought too. I guess I was confused by the statement "Assuming I'll be using HDMI for video". no sweat. carry on.

Would this be the correct way to set this up?

Cable --> Cable Box (COAX) --> Projector (HDMI) & AVR (Optical)

Yes. However, the only thing that the HDMI buys you is the ability to upconvert standard DVDs to your projector. You can't upconvert over component. If you don't care about that, you could run component video to your AVR, and then one set of component cables to your projector.

I know that the cost of HDMI cable has come down, but I'm still guessing that running one set of component cables to your projector is going to be a lot cheaper than two sets of HDMI.

Also are these HDMI cables 720 or 1080? Or was that a load of bull from the HHGregg dude?
I have no idea what he's talking about. HDMI does both 720 and 1080.

Yes. However, the only thing that the HDMI buys you is the ability to upconvert standard DVDs to your projector. You can't upconvert over component. If you don't care about that, you could run component video to your AVR, and then one set of component cables to your projector.

What do you mean by upconvert? Do you mean I cant play standard DVDs over componet or that they will just look better with HDMI?

I know that the cost of HDMI cable has come down, but I'm still guessing that running one set of component cables to your projector is going to be a lot cheaper than two sets of HDMI.

Is component 1080? If it is I dont know why I wouldn't do this either.

I have no idea what he's talking about. HDMI does both 720 and 1080.He was saying there's some rated for 720 and some for 1080 :shrug: . Thought it might be BS.

What do you mean by upconvert? Do you mean I cant play standard DVDs over componet or that they will just look better with HDMI?

Is component 1080? If it is I dont know why I wouldn't do this either.

I have no idea what he's talking about. HDMI does both 720 and 1080.He was saying there's some rated for 720 and some for 1080 ;) . Thought it might be BS.
1. Article explaining upconverting.2. Component can do 1080.

3. I think the HHGregg guy was spouting mumbo jumbo.

I have no idea what he's talking about. HDMI does both 720 and 1080.
yep

Users who are viewing this thread