What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Projectorguys (1 Viewer)

I just upgraded my old (non 4K) Denon to the Onkyo TX-NR686 for $250.  Looking into getting new 5.1.2 speakers and its a bit overwhelming.  Any suggestions?  Looking to keep it under $1000 (I could keep my polk sub).  Local guy is recommending Goldenear but they're a little over budget.
What size room?

In wall/ceiling surround speaker suggestions?

Willing to spend the money for a good option.

eta - looking at definitive.
What did you wind up with? I love Golden Ear speakers, tremendous performance at a reasonable price.

I just upgraded my old (non 4K) Denon to the Onkyo TX-NR686 for $250.  Looking into getting new 5.1.2 speakers and its a bit overwhelming.  Any suggestions?  Looking to keep it under $1000 (I could keep my polk sub).  Local guy is recommending Goldenear but they're a little over budget.
Golden Ear is what I would look at, spending the same money on Polk/Definitive/whatever else and the Golden Ear will be a much better audio experience.

Hopefully you like the Onkyo, I had one before my last Denon and I hated the sound. Very compressed narrow sound field, range was very muted.

Golden Ear is what I would look at, spending the same money on Polk/Definitive/whatever else and the Golden Ear will be a much better audio experience.

Hopefully you like the Onkyo, I had one before my last Denon and I hated the sound. Very compressed narrow sound field, range was very muted.
I honestly just grabbed it because it met my (limited) standards.  4K, bluetooth, atmos, at a good price.

The local guy was saying that for $8K in Goldenear you can compete with  $80K systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly just grabbed it because it met my (limited) standards.  4K, bluetooth, atmos, at a good price.

The local guy was saying that for $8K in Goldenear you can compete with  $80K systems.
I'd agree. I love my 5.2 system from them.

My son recently said he'd be interested in a projector. He wants to hook up xbox, switch, roku, computer, and iphone. I think he also wants it to be easily portable. I see several options under $100 on Amazon. Suggestions for low-budget projectors?

My son recently said he'd be interested in a projector. He wants to hook up xbox, switch, roku, computer, and iphone. I think he also wants it to be easily portable. I see several options under $100 on Amazon. Suggestions for low-budget projectors?
I bought an Anker Nebula Mars II this summer for use outside - movies at night. It's great for that, not sure it would be good for what you just described. Really good for Netflix and the like. With semi-controlled light, I can use it inside during the day and it isn't bad.

I think most of those under-$100 options may disappoint. Low light, questionable resolution, etc. Maybe look on Craigslist for a used projector. For instance, I upgraded to an Epson this year and my old 720p Panasonic is just sitting on a shelf now. I would probably offload it for $100 and it would likely be a hell of a lot better than those Amazon options. Just my two cents.

Also, what's his solution for sound going to be?

I bought an Anker Nebula Mars II this summer for use outside - movies at night. It's great for that, not sure it would be good for what you just described. Really good for Netflix and the like. With semi-controlled light, I can use it inside during the day and it isn't bad.

I think most of those under-$100 options may disappoint. Low light, questionable resolution, etc. Maybe look on Craigslist for a used projector. For instance, I upgraded to an Epson this year and my old 720p Panasonic is just sitting on a shelf now. I would probably offload it for $100 and it would likely be a hell of a lot better than those Amazon options. Just my two cents.

Also, what's his solution for sound going to be?
No sound solution yet. I assume the speakers one these things are pretty bad? I think I’m getting a sound bar for Christmas. 

We aren’t the most AV savvy family so I’m ok with lower quality for now. If it’s something we love and want to upgrade later, then I will spend more at that time. I wouldn’t be shocked if we don’t use it very much. 

Oh, he also mentioned wanting to watch movies on the ceiling because he did that at his cousin’s house recently. 

Might want to check out Woot today. They have a bunch of projectors, some with speakers built in. I think if you order from their all you might get another 15% off.

Anyone want to make a reasonable offer on an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350? @Andy Dufresne had one of these - not sure if he still does, but he spoke quite highly of them. Have two additional bulbs for it (they are used and I havent checked how many hours they have - but they came with it from the dude I bought this off).

Moved into a new place and can't find a spot for this. Need to get an ultra short throw instead.

Well my projector is on its last legs

It flashes different colors in a square pattern.

I replaced the bulb and that made it worse nothing but green lines.   I don't know if lcd has a color wheel but something is bad.

Anyway is it worth getting a 4k?  Good 1080p

Mostly tv and gaming.  It is in my basement so dark lighting is not a problem

Hoping to stay under 1k but if it's 4k a tad more

Tia

@Andy Dufresne

Well my projector is on its last legs

It flashes different colors in a square pattern.

I replaced the bulb and that made it worse nothing but green lines.   I don't know if lcd has a color wheel but something is bad.

Anyway is it worth getting a 4k?  Good 1080p

Mostly tv and gaming.  It is in my basement so dark lighting is not a problem

Hoping to stay under 1k but if it's 4k a tad more

Tia

@Andy Dufresne
The answer has been yes for me. I've enjoyed my Epson 5040ub. But I've bought quite a few 4k discs.

I don't know how good the 4k protectors are at the $1k price point. I think the Optoma UHD50 is supposed to be pretty good at about $1300, but it wouldn't be for me since I see rainbows with a DLP.

I don't think steaming 4k looks all that good. If all you do is watch TV and play games, then a good 1080p at $1k might be all you need.

Hooked up projector today.

Holy crap I didn't think this would look that much better than my other projector.  I'm not even sure my other one was hd 😂 (it was 1080p also)

This is fantastic

Projectors are the way to go if you want home theater. It doesn't have to be that expensive.
$400 to $500 projector, $100 sound bar, and $50 sub woofer can make you very happy.

$400 to $500 projector, $100 sound bar, and $50 sub woofer can make you very happy.
Twice that. You can get a decent setup for beginning and just upgrade later.
There will always be geeks who could say it's not even a home theater, but it should be fun, isn't it? 
So congrats on purchase, belljr.

Twice that. You can get a decent setup for beginning and just upgrade later.
There will always be geeks who could say it's not even a home theater, but it should be fun, isn't it? 
So congrats on purchase, belljr.
Sometime I might upgrade to 4K, but my "theater" is 9' X 16' with the screen at 96" wide so
I'm maxed out on space and I don't need to blow my ears out.

One thing I forgot to add- SCREENGOO paint by goosystems.com. Screens are nice but this is what
real Theaters use.

Nice to see this thread. I moved into a new house in December and has a home theatre in the basement. So I'm no a projector guy. Everything is working but would like to upgrade my projector to a new 4k one. 

Alright - recommendations please.

Moved to a new house recently and the room size and setup doesn't work with what I currently have (100" screen, Epson Home Cinema 8350, Marantz receiver, Roku stick, Polk speakers).

So - I am looking for a simple solution. Only have 10' of throw and am now projecting onto a painted wall. We don't use the home theater nearly as much as I hoped. So, looking for a simpler setup. Projector (doesn't need to be fancy) and bluetooth speaker that works with Roku stick.

Does that make sense? Thinking I just want to plug Roku stick into projector and have Sonos bluetoooth (or something similar) play the sound. Currently I need to run audio through receiver.

A short throw projector will get you a 100" inch screen from 4 to 5'.
Yea. Not even sure i need that though. The Espon throw is actually just fine for the space and distance. More just want a recommendation on a compatible bluetooth and stuff. 

So, I bought a Denon Blu Ray player cheap from an auction site. They incorrectly listed it as a
Kodak player. The thing now has the red ring of death and I don't see anything on the  internet
on how to work on that. So I bought a used OPPO off Ebay. Now, I don't miss the Denon.
If your going to upgrade to Blu Ray or want to upgrade your Blu Ray player, give Oppo a look.

So, I bought a Denon Blu Ray player cheap from an auction site. They incorrectly listed it as a
Kodak player. The thing now has the red ring of death and I don't see anything on the  internet
on how to work on that. So I bought a used OPPO off Ebay. Now, I don't miss the Denon.
If your going to upgrade to Blu Ray or want to upgrade your Blu Ray player, give Oppo a look.
This is one of the main reasons I have a PS4

Alright - recommendations please.

Moved to a new house recently and the room size and setup doesn't work with what I currently have (100" screen, Epson Home Cinema 8350, Marantz receiver, Roku stick, Polk speakers).

So - I am looking for a simple solution. Only have 10' of throw and am now projecting onto a painted wall. We don't use the home theater nearly as much as I hoped. So, looking for a simpler setup. Projector (doesn't need to be fancy) and bluetooth speaker that works with Roku stick.

Does that make sense? Thinking I just want to plug Roku stick into projector and have Sonos bluetoooth (or something similar) play the sound. Currently I need to run audio through receiver.
According to Epson (and it shouldn't matter the PJ route) you should be able to plug the Roku into the projector and then Bluetooth to the speaker.

https://epson.com/faq/SPT_V11H842020~faq-000095F-shared?faq_cat=faq-topFaqs#

If you are using a steaming device connected to the HDMI port on the projector, pair wireless Bluetooth speakers or a soundbar to the streaming device.

Here's another that seems to basically say "make sure your projector has Bluetooth".

https://thehometheaterdiy.com/connect-a-bluetooth-speaker-to-a-projector/

And it has a link to a super short throw PJ (not familiar with it, but it's an example anyway)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NC5VWQ2/?tag=hometheate021-20

So...There are options.

nightmare said:
Oppo is out of business now - much to the dismay of enthusiasts everywhere. 

new lockdown project - looking into projector with screen for side of the house....i dont know much about it - pretty big space....dont mind spending $ on a decent set up - HD, etc.....definitely need bluetooth for speakers/headphones at night....does it just plug into a laptop and mirror that?  any suggestions appreciated....

The answer has been yes for me. I've enjoyed my Epson 5040ub. But I've bought quite a few 4k discs.

I don't know how good the 4k protectors are at the $1k price point. I think the Optoma UHD50 is supposed to be pretty good at about $1300, but it wouldn't be for me since I see rainbows with a DLP.

I don't think steaming 4k looks all that good. If all you do is watch TV and play games, then a good 1080p at $1k might be all you need.
That's interesting because using my Nvidia shield pro and my TCL 75" there is a HUGE difference in picture quality between 1080p/4k/HDR/Dolby Vision on Hulu/Prime Video/Netflix/Disney+.

That's interesting because using my Nvidia shield pro and my TCL 75" there is a HUGE difference in picture quality between 1080p/4k/HDR/Dolby Vision on Hulu/Prime Video/Netflix/Disney+.
I wasn't specific enough - I don't think it looks very good compared to physical media sources.

Last night I A/B compared the new Jaws 4K disc (absolutely terrific, BTW) to the 4K source on iTunes. The latter wasn't bad by any stretch but it was obvious the disc was better. It's hard to explain but to me streaming sources just look...lifeless.

Having said that, I just recently started streaming through the iTunes app on my Roku Stick+ and I have to say it seems like their streaming quality is noticeably better than Vudu.

I wasn't specific enough - I don't think it looks very good compared to physical media sources.

Last night I A/B compared the new Jaws 4K disc (absolutely terrific, BTW) to the 4K source on iTunes. The latter wasn't bad by any stretch but it was obvious the disc was better. It's hard to explain but to me streaming sources just look...lifeless.

Having said that, I just recently started streaming through the iTunes app on my Roku Stick+ and I have to say it seems like their streaming quality is noticeably better than Vudu.
I'd agree that the device makes a big difference. The nvidia is worlds better than the 4k Firecube TV.

I'd agree that the device makes a big difference. The nvidia is worlds better than the 4k Firecube TV.
What makes the Nvidia so expensive? I haven't really ever looked at it. 

And I've kind of soured on digital media anyway. I prefer to have the physical.

More on the projector side of things - about a month ago I decided to ignore the "recommended" settings from message boards on calibrating my Epson 5040ub. Since I went on my own I've found an exponentially better picture for me than I was before. I was getting so frustrated with the picture I was considering selling it.

What makes the Nvidia so expensive? I haven't really ever looked at it. 

And I've kind of soured on digital media anyway. I prefer to have the physical.

More on the projector side of things - about a month ago I decided to ignore the "recommended" settings from message boards on calibrating my Epson 5040ub. Since I went on my own I've found an exponentially better picture for me than I was before. I was getting so frustrated with the picture I was considering selling it.
It's really a graphics card in a case. They have a great AI upscaler as well, really taking their graphics expertise and putting it into a streaming device.

And totally agree, both sound and vision is so personal. It kills me when people are like you watch crap stuff or have crap gear. It's about how it sounds or looks to you. Unless it's Bose and well then you're just an advertising drone :lmao:

any recommendations for a screen/projector set up for outside by a pool? My wife is interested and wants something we can watch during the day but I always thought they only really work well at night (which is fine too). I dont really want a blow up screen, I'd rather try and hang something on the house, there is about 18 ft of patio between the pool and the house. 

Also, are there projectors that have the ability to stream and/or get a cable signal. or would I need to hook up some sort of receiver to it? Not looking to break the bank on this, just something I can watch a game or a friday night movie on. 

glvsav37 said:
any recommendations for a screen/projector set up for outside by a pool? My wife is interested and wants something we can watch during the day but I always thought they only really work well at night (which is fine too). I dont really want a blow up screen, I'd rather try and hang something on the house, there is about 18 ft of patio between the pool and the house. 

Also, are there projectors that have the ability to stream and/or get a cable signal. or would I need to hook up some sort of receiver to it? Not looking to break the bank on this, just something I can watch a game or a friday night movie on. 
interested as well on this type of set up - with no vacation all summer trying to manufacture some fun for the family.....

glvsav37 said:

https://www.carlofet.com/shop/backyard-theater

glvsav37 said:

TV tuner for the cable signal. You either plug in an OTA antenna or cable coax, then HDMI out to the projector.
I have a $25 tuner that puts out a great picture.

Asking for a friend that is setting up a theater room in his house.  ~100 inch screen.  Room is 20' x 11'.  He is looking for a projector under $2000.  Any recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread