What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Projectorguys (1 Viewer)

1. Article explaining upconverting.

2. Component can do 1080.

3. I think the HHGregg guy was spouting mumbo jumbo.
1. Ok, so regular DVD's will look better over HDMI.2. Nice

3. Me too.

Moving on, if I were to set up using component is this right?

Cable --> Cable Box (coax) --> AVR (component) --> Projector (component)

BluRay -------------------------> AVR (component)

So if I'm understanding this correctly I would need 3 sets of components this way or 2 HDMI's the other way. And I'm assuming the component is Video only so I'd need two optical cables either way.

1. Ok, so regular DVD's will look better over HDMI.Moving on, if I were to set up using component is this right?Cable --> Cable Box (coax) --> AVR (component) --> Projector (component)BluRay -------------------------> AVR (component)So if I'm understanding this correctly I would need 3 sets of components this way or 2 HDMI's the other way. And I'm assuming the component is Video only so I'd need two optical cables either way.
Correct on all accounts.Connecting the video AND audio through your AVR will allow you to switch the audio and video at the same time between components (your Cable & BluRay) using your AVR. If you hook up your audio through your AVR and your video directly to your projector, you'll have to switch the audio inputs through your AVR and the video inputs through your projector every time you switch between your Cable & BluRay. Hope that makes sense.

1. Ok, so regular DVD's will look better over HDMI.Moving on, if I were to set up using component is this right?Cable --> Cable Box (coax) --> AVR (component) --> Projector (component)BluRay -------------------------> AVR (component)So if I'm understanding this correctly I would need 3 sets of components this way or 2 HDMI's the other way. And I'm assuming the component is Video only so I'd need two optical cables either way.
Correct on all accounts.Connecting the video AND audio through your AVR will allow you to switch the audio and video at the same time between components (your Cable & BluRay) using your AVR. If you hook up your audio through your AVR and your video directly to your projector, you'll have to switch the audio inputs through your AVR and the video inputs through your projector every time you switch between your Cable & BluRay. Hope that makes sense.
Yes, it does. This is how we currently have our dvd player setup. It kinda sucks. Not sure if the upconverting is worth it.

Ok, another question. About placement.

I've got a 14' wall that would be perfect for the "screen". 16' back from there I've got a sofett (sp?) I would like to hang the projector in front of. Here's my question. I've got a support pole under the sofett I could put all my equipment (BluRay, AVR, Cable Box) "in" (will be drywalled and finished). I've also got a 10x10 closet behind that (and behind the seating area). Which would be better for the equipment? Can I put the equipment in a closet?

Here's a link about distance and placement that hopefully helps. I'm waiting on my 50 inch to die so I can go the projector route and set up the the stadium seating like a theater. Really pumped, but I need the old one to go out. I'm encouraging the kids to get closer while playing the Wii, hoping for an accident.

Link

Here's a link about distance and placement that hopefully helps. I'm waiting on my 50 inch to die so I can go the projector route and set up the the stadium seating like a theater. Really pumped, but I need the old one to go out. I'm encouraging the kids to get closer while playing the Wii, hoping for an accident.

Link
Thanks for the link. My question is more about placement of the BluRay, Cable Box, and AVR. Do people generally put these in closets or what. I wouldn't think you'd want them by the screen because of all the lights on them.

Link
Thanks for the link. My question is more about placement of the BluRay, Cable Box, and AVR. Do people generally put these in closets or what. I wouldn't think you'd want them by the screen because of all the lights on them.
I'm planning on having mine on the back wall (opposite the screen), running the wires up behind the drywall and dropping it through the ceiling to the projector.Definitely the PS3 by the way for the BluRay player. I downloaded a free program called TVersity that transforms your PC and PS3 into a nice media center. I've got some movies I've um, acquired, and they stream perfectly from my PC (in divx format) to the PS3.

Think I've got everything covered now:

1 Optoma HD20 1080p projector ----------------------------999.00

1 LG BD370 BluRay player -----------------------------------212.96

2 HDMI, 2 Optical Digital, 200ft 12AWG, 1 ceiling mount--111.60

Total------------------------------------------------------------1323.56

Under budget :shrug:

Thanks for the help guys!

Think I've got everything covered now:1 Optoma HD20 1080p projector ----------------------------999.001 LG BD370 BluRay player -----------------------------------212.962 HDMI, 2 Optical Digital, 200ft 12AWG, 1 ceiling mount--111.60 Total------------------------------------------------------------1323.56Under budget :pickle:Thanks for the help guys!
Fyi. If you're on a budget. I made my celing mount for about 3 bucks in parts from home depot. Its just a few bolts that go into the projector and a way to attaach it to the ceiling

Think I've got everything covered now:1 Optoma HD20 1080p projector ----------------------------999.001 LG BD370 BluRay player -----------------------------------212.962 HDMI, 2 Optical Digital, 200ft 12AWG, 1 ceiling mount--111.60 Total------------------------------------------------------------1323.56Under budget :lmao:Thanks for the help guys!
Fyi. If you're on a budget. I made my celing mount for about 3 bucks in parts from home depot. Its just a few bolts that go into the projector and a way to attaach it to the ceiling
Cool. I looked into that. Ended up just buying one for $20

Think I've got everything covered now:1 Optoma HD20 1080p projector ----------------------------999.001 LG BD370 BluRay player -----------------------------------212.962 HDMI, 2 Optical Digital, 200ft 12AWG, 1 ceiling mount--111.60 Total------------------------------------------------------------1323.56Under budget :confused:Thanks for the help guys!
I did DIY both ceiling mount and projector screen. The screen looks as good as professional.... the mount, not so much. You're probably doing this, but I'd recommend running HDMI wire between your receiver and your projector now for future upgrades. The cost of the cable is low ($20) compared to the pain of running cable a second time.

Under budget :shrug:

I did DIY both ceiling mount and projector screen. The screen looks as good as professional.... the mount, not so much. You're probably doing this, but I'd recommend running HDMI wire between your receiver and your projector now for future upgrades. The cost of the cable is low ($20) compared to the pain of running cable a second time.
Do I need to do this? I'll have two HDMI's going to the projector from the equipment. If I ever upgrade my AVR I should only need to use one of them.

Random said:
ODoyleRules said:
KGB said:
Random said:

Under budget :moneybag:

Do I need to do this? I'll have two HDMI's going to the projector from the equipment. If I ever upgrade my AVR I should only need to use one of them.
You're right. I thought you were doing strictly component from video sources to projector. You're all set.

Random said:
ODoyleRules said:
KGB said:
Random said:

Under budget :(

The cost of a mux has to be cheaper than two runs of hdmi. But I could be wrong about this. I haven't priced cable and muxes lately.

The cost of a mux has to be cheaper than two runs of hdmi. But I could be wrong about this. I haven't priced cable and muxes lately.
This is the first time I've heard that word. The HDMI's were about $14 each shipped.

I decided to go ahead and set up a screening room in my wine cellar, since it will be pitch black in there with the lights out. Its the size of a one and a half car garage, so I can store 200 cases of wine and still have plenty of room. Since I'll keep it a constant 60-65 degrees, I will need to wear sweater or jacket, but that will be nice in the summer.

That new Optoma 1080 pushed me over the edge. Way too much bang for the buck to pass up.

I ordered it thru Bing cashback at J&R for $879, delivered, but I have to wait for it to get in stock. No problem there as I am a week or two from finishing up the cellar.

Now I am trying to decide what to use for a screen. I think I want to go about 120" and my wall is a blank slate, meaning down to the studs. Should I dry or plywood? Base coat or finish coat paint recommendations? I will use a sprayer. What about the ceiling? Should I paint that, too?

:goodposting:

UN-REAL

cos: this thing is amazing and I have it projected on unfunished drywall right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered :confused: Projectorpeople have this in stock.

Now, who can advise me on how to properly set this up? :unsure:
Who did you order it from over there?I actually worked there for ~5 years. GREAT company. Broke my heart to leave the place but I was moving up to New England.

Absolutely top of the line customer service if you need help setting up the projector or if there are any problems when it arrives.

Ordered :lol: Projectorpeople have this in stock.

Now, who can advise me on how to properly set this up? :loco:
Who did you order it from over there?I actually worked there for ~5 years. GREAT company. Broke my heart to leave the place but I was moving up to New England.

Absolutely top of the line customer service if you need help setting up the projector or if there are any problems when it arrives.
I really dont remember who I ordered from. But I was on the website and it said the projector was in stock (Amazon and all others were backordered 2-6 weeks) so I called to confirm. Guy was extremely friendly and when he asked if I needed any accessories I said sure if they were priced the same as monoprice. He was honest and just said he couldn't as opposed to the HHGregg guy that said those cheap cables weren't as good as his. :hot: for PP.

I realize this is a projector thread but does any have a suggestion as to where I should buy a replacement lamp for a sony wega kdf-42we655? I found one on projectorquest.com but a bit weary of buying from somewhere I have never heard of. Thanks.

I realize this is a projector thread but does any have a suggestion as to where I should buy a replacement lamp for a sony wega kdf-42we655? I found one on projectorquest.com but a bit weary of buying from somewhere I have never heard of. Thanks.
I bought a few online for my old dlp tv over the years. I never ahd a problem with any of them- but not sure if I used the company you mentioned.Looks like you can get one from a reliable dealer for $80-90.

link

Think I've got everything covered now:1 Optoma HD20 1080p projector ----------------------------999.001 LG BD370 BluRay player -----------------------------------212.962 HDMI, 2 Optical Digital, 200ft 12AWG, 1 ceiling mount--111.60 Total------------------------------------------------------------1323.56Under budget :thumbup:Thanks for the help guys!
Cool. I looked into that. Ended up just buying one for $20
Update?Im gonna be buying the HD20 in a few days. Still happy? link to the $20 mount? reviews?

I have been thrilled with my HD20.

HD-DVDs are phenomenal, as are BluRays and Off-Air HD

. HiDef DTV is almost as good.

The ceiling mount from Monoprice I got was a piece of crap or I am a moron or possibly both.

For a screen, I taped and floated a wall very smooth and then painted it with some of that $80/gal screen paint off eBay (Silver Brite?). It works wonderfully, but unsure how it would compare to less expensive paints, since I have not seen any other walls with this projector to compare it to.

I have been thrilled with my HD20. HD-DVDs are phenomenal, as are BluRays and Off-Air HD. HiDef DTV is almost as good.The ceiling mount from Monoprice I got was a piece of crap or I am a moron or possibly both.For a screen, I taped and floated a wall very smooth and then painted it with some of that $80/gal screen paint off eBay (Silver Brite?). It works wonderfully, but unsure how it would compare to less expensive paints, since I have not seen any other walls with this projector to compare it to.
i already have a screen . Did you have the same mount as the OP?

I have been thrilled with my HD20. HD-DVDs are phenomenal, as are BluRays and Off-Air HD. HiDef DTV is almost as good.The ceiling mount from Monoprice I got was a piece of crap or I am a moron or possibly both.For a screen, I taped and floated a wall very smooth and then painted it with some of that $80/gal screen paint off eBay (Silver Brite?). It works wonderfully, but unsure how it would compare to less expensive paints, since I have not seen any other walls with this projector to compare it to.
oh, but glad you are happy with the hd20. been looing at the other options in the 999 range. looks like im staying here though unless there a good reason to go elsewhere

oh, but glad you are happy with the hd20. been looing at the other options in the 999 range. looks like im staying here though unless there a good reason to go elsewhere
I got my HD20 thru Bing to JR.com and got a pretty decent cashback check.

I'll get pics up shortly (this has been part of my basement finishing project and thats about wrapped up). But the bottom line is this thing is phenomenal. The picture is flawless. I have 20 23watt cfl's (comparable to 100watt incandescent) in my 1300 sf basement and the picture is not even washed out with all lights on (actually I took the bulbs out of the 2 nearest to the screen wall). It is very watchable with lights on (like in sportsbars).

My screen wall is made from Behr Silverscreen ($16/gal used about half) and a Behr Black paint. The screen is about 135" 16:9 and takes up most of the 9'x14' wall its on. There's about 3' of black around the silverscreen on the bottom, and both sides and about 1' at the top.

I'll try to get pics up tonight.

I got my HD20 thru Bing to JR.com and got a pretty decent cashback check.

I suck at pictures, but here are some I just snapped with the wife's camera (which I don't know how to use very well)

BluRay - lights on

BR - lights off (still need blinds)

Cable close

Cable far

AV rack far

AV rack near

not sure why the image quality sucks so bad, I'll try to get some higher quality pics up later.
Lookin good. Is this your 1st projector? I bet you can still point the remote at the screen and the sig will bounce off it and back to the equipment.

I suck at pictures, but here are some I just snapped with the wife's camera (which I don't know how to use very well)

BluRay - lights on

Cable close

Cable far

AV rack far

AV rack near

not sure why the image quality sucks so bad, I'll try to get some higher quality pics up later.
Lookin good. Is this your 1st projector? I bet you can still point the remote at the screen and the sig will bounce off it and back to the equipment.
Yes to both.

BluRay - lights on

Cable close

Cable far

AV rack far

AV rack near

Yes to both.
I was so happy with my 1st projector. It was like heaven came. into my house. And heaven is 120" diagnal if you wanna know.

BluRay - lights on

Cable close

Cable far

AV rack far

AV rack near

Yes to both.
Where are you speakers at? Any pics of the projector itself? Looks really nice.

BluRay - lights on

Cable close

Cable far

AV rack far

AV rack near

Yes to both.
Where are you speakers at? Any pics of the projector itself? Looks really nice.
Here's a pic I took with the flash on (washes out the screen but you can see the 3 speakers - left, right, and top center). If you look at the pic labeled "AV rack far" you can see the right rear channel. Front speakers

Projector and both rear speakers

Last edited by a moderator:
I was so happy with my 1st projector. It was like heaven came. into my house. And heaven is 120" diagnal if you wanna know.
Have you upgraded?And yes it is wonderful. My only concern is going through the bulb too quickly. The basement has turned into our main room in the house.

Dear Projector Guys:

I need to buy a projector that will work well outside during twilight hours (at a minimum).

Is this a decent projector? I note 3200 lumens. Can't find many reviews.

Have you upgraded?And yes it is wonderful. My only concern is going through the bulb too quickly. The basement has turned into our main room in the house.
Yep, upgraded to the HD20. $999. Very happy with it, hd is great. Skintones are a little messed up sometimes but it might be a setting.

Dear Projector Guys:

I need to buy a projector that will work well outside during twilight hours (at a minimum).

for $999 you can get 1080. that has a dvd player built in, but wont you still have to run wires for HDTV? or even if you just use it for movies, wont you have to run audio?

Yep, upgraded to the HD20. $999. Very happy with it, hd is great. Skintones are a little messed up sometimes but it might be a setting.
AVS will have the nerd agreed upon settings that you need somewhere. Still love my optoma. Use it constantly.

Dear Projector Guys:

for $999 you can get 1080. that has a dvd player built in, but wont you still have to run wires for HDTV? or even if you just use it for movies, wont you have to run audio?
I can't imagine a situation where I would want my projector to have a drive on it except for a buisness setting where I didn't need audio or something odd like that.

Anyone ever set up a projector and it was TOO BIG????

I put tape on my wall last night for a 92'' screen and it feels overwhelming.. I was like :goodposting:

Whoa it's like 90% of the wall....

thinking of trying a 84'' tape tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread