What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Projectorguys (1 Viewer)

We've had our Sony 10HT for probably 15 years now. We're looking to do some work on the basement next year so figured an upgrade might be in order. I don't think we'll be in this house for too much longer, maybe 5 years, so I don't want to spend too much since we'll probably move into a condo and won't take it with us.

Looking at the BenQ HT3050. Short throw lens and low noise are big selling points. Anyone have this one?

Has anyone used a wireless transmission on a projector? Might save having to open up some walls to run an hdmi.

So I finally got the new bulb in my Ben q and.....yuck. I probably should have spent $400 for a “real” bulb, but that’s half the cost of an aging projector. It’s usable but not nearly as bright. Have tried fiddling with settings and not much better. So....anyone got projector recommendations for around $1k?

3 hour lunch said:
So I finally got the new bulb in my Ben q and.....yuck. I probably should have spent $400 for a “real” bulb, but that’s half the cost of an aging projector. It’s usable but not nearly as bright. Have tried fiddling with settings and not much better. So....anyone got projector recommendations for around $1k?
I would keep an eye on Slickdeals.  There have been a bunch of projectors on there over the last month or so in that price range.

Just ordered the long coveted Epson 5040ub! :pickle:

Price drop to $2k this week with free bulb, free mount, free 2 day shipping (and if I'm lucky tax free too!). 

Last edited by a moderator:
I see the BenQ HT2550 is sold out almost everywhere... new one coming?

Its down to 1200 on B&H Photo

Andy Dufresne said:
Hooked it up today and without adjusting anything I can tell you this projector is real and it's SPECTACULAR!
Saw that deal, is it still alive?  Was on the fence on if I should get it or wait for something next-gen.  Still rocking my PT-AE900u.

Saw that deal, is it still alive?  Was on the fence on if I should get it or wait for something next-gen.  Still rocking my PT-AE900u.
Free lamp deal is back.

And if you get the free mount from Visual Apex use this video for installation. Their directions are for #### and I drilled an unnecessary hole in my ceiling. The ceiling bracket was right, but the connector was wrong.

https://youtu.be/c0Zdqped7ZA

Edit: Actually, forget buying this from Visual Apex. This mount is all wrong. Get it from ProjectorPeople or even Best Buy and just buy a different mount. I'm so frustrated with it I'm considering returning it all just because of how dumb the manufacture/instructions are on their free mount.

Edit2: Turns out one of the main parts of the mount was manufactured incorrectly. The main pipe connecting the ceiling plate and mount had the holes drilled 90 degrees off. Oy vey.

Bought an Epson 2045 a couple years ago for around $600.  Pretty solid projector.  I see there looks to be some 4K projectors in the $1000-$1500 now.  I am not sure it is worth upgrading.  Only go downstairs to use the projector on limited occassions and am still satisfied with the quality.  

Free lamp deal is back.

And if you get the free mount from Visual Apex use this video for installation. Their directions are for #### and I drilled an unnecessary hole in my ceiling.

https://youtu.be/c0Zdqped7ZA

Edit: Actually, forget buying this from Visual Apex. This mount is all wrong. Get it from ProjectorPeople or even Best Buy and just buy a different mount. I'm so frustrated with it I'm considering returning it all just because of how dumb the manufacture/instructions are on their free mount.

Edit2: Turns out one of the main parts of the mount was manufactured incorrectly. The main pipe connecting the ceiling plate and mount had the holes drilled 90 degrees off. Oy vey.
My current projector (the old Panny) is actually in a cabinet projecting out of the back of it.  I believe this projector is substantially larger - correct?  I'm trying to figure out if I'd need to just cut out a larger portion of the back of the cabinet and if that would work at all or if I need to go to a truly mounted solution for something like this.  And, if so, would I need to do it from the bottom of the cabinet or mount it behind the cabinet somehow.  We have a drop ceiling in the basement, so this could be a pain in the butt.  How forgiving is the lens shift on this compared to the Panny?  Thanks for any help.

As good a place as any to ask I guess?

Anyone using a small portable projector for business presentations?  There are a mess of products out there...

My current projector (the old Panny) is actually in a cabinet projecting out of the back of it.  I believe this projector is substantially larger - correct?  I'm trying to figure out if I'd need to just cut out a larger portion of the back of the cabinet and if that would work at all or if I need to go to a truly mounted solution for something like this.  And, if so, would I need to do it from the bottom of the cabinet or mount it behind the cabinet somehow.  We have a drop ceiling in the basement, so this could be a pain in the butt.  How forgiving is the lens shift on this compared to the Panny?  Thanks for any help.
It is a much larger PJ than my Epson 8350. I'd estimate about 1/3 larger. It's hefty!

I mounted a PJ through a drop ceiling once. Usually mounts come with extension poles, in which case you just cut a hole in a ceiling panel.

The lens shift and keystone adjustment on this 5040ub are really good from the little I've played with them. It's nice that it's all controlled through the remote.

It is a much larger PJ than my Epson 8350. I'd estimate about 1/3 larger. It's hefty!

I mounted a PJ through a drop ceiling once. Usually mounts come with extension poles, in which case you just cut a hole in a ceiling panel.

The lens shift and keystone adjustment on this 5040ub are really good from the little I've played with them. It's nice that it's all controlled through the remote.
I just looked up the dimensions for this Epson to compare to the Panny - does this look right to you? Seems like a massive jump in size.  

Panny - 13.2 W x 10.6 D x 3.7 H total of 0.3 cubic feet

Epson - 20.5 W x 17.7 D x 7.6 H  total of 1.6 cubic feet

I just looked up the dimensions for this Epson to compare to the Panny - does this look right to you? Seems like a massive jump in size.  

Panny - 13.2 W x 10.6 D x 3.7 H total of 0.3 cubic feet

Epson - 20.5 W x 17.7 D x 7.6 H  total of 1.6 cubic feet
Yes, that's right. It's a beast. But it's awesome. Or, it will be when I get it mounted.

I'm starting to think I'm gong to put it on a shelf like this one:

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Fleximounts-x-2-0-in-H-x-12-0-in-D-Steel-Wall-Mounted-Shelving/1000731860

Or maybe an overhead one like this:

https://www.amazon.com/HyLoft-36-Inch-Overhead-Storage-System/dp/B003O85FDC

I'm looking to add an outdoor set-up to my existing overabundance of A/V crap.  I've got a 112" Sony set-up in the basement, and can distribute video from my AV rack most anywhere, including outside.  I'm really good at sourcing higher-end stuff, but I want this set-up to not cost me an arm and a leg.

Any thoughts on a cheaper projector for portable/outside use?  My criteria:

• Projector under $600, ideally closer to $400.
  • 1080p unless you can convince me it's not needed
  • Enough lumens to project 120" or bigger (ideally 160" or so...) outdoors - not much ambient light, so that's not too much of an issue.
  • Built-in speakers aren't a requirement as I'll be using something else for audio.
I've seen a lot of "cheap" stuff on Amazon.  No clue how good any of it is.  Someone also recommended an Epson 1060...that's at the high-end of my price range.

Probably going to use Bitpath for video transmission via Cat6 to from my AV rack.  Basically I'll plug the Bitpath Balun into the Cat6 jack.  That HDMI out will go into an audio separator.  HDMI video will go to the projector.  Audio will go either to a small amp connected to some bookshelf speakers OR to a cheap active PA system.  Haven't figured that part out yet.  Still debating the screen.  Could go super-cheap sheet...Could go easy with an inflatable, or more compact with a frame screen.  

In that price range, Project Central suggests Optoma HD143X which can be had for under $500.  3000 Lumens, 1080p.  They are about as unbiased as you can get and very thorough.  

I'm looking to add an outdoor set-up to my existing overabundance of A/V crap.  I've got a 112" Sony set-up in the basement, and can distribute video from my AV rack most anywhere, including outside.  I'm really good at sourcing higher-end stuff, but I want this set-up to not cost me an arm and a leg.

Any thoughts on a cheaper projector for portable/outside use?  My criteria:

• Projector under $600, ideally closer to $400.
  • 1080p unless you can convince me it's not needed
  • Enough lumens to project 120" or bigger (ideally 160" or so...) outdoors - not much ambient light, so that's not too much of an issue.
  • Built-in speakers aren't a requirement as I'll be using something else for audio.
I've seen a lot of "cheap" stuff on Amazon.  No clue how good any of it is.  Someone also recommended an Epson 1060...that's at the high-end of my price range.

Probably going to use Bitpath for video transmission via Cat6 to from my AV rack.  Basically I'll plug the Bitpath Balun into the Cat6 jack.  That HDMI out will go into an audio separator.  HDMI video will go to the projector.  Audio will go either to a small amp connected to some bookshelf speakers OR to a cheap active PA system.  Haven't figured that part out yet.  Still debating the screen.  Could go super-cheap sheet...Could go easy with an inflatable, or more compact with a frame screen.  
I was in a similar situation a year or two ago.  I have a two tier deck on the back of my house.  I put a waterproof membrane down when replacing the decking on the top level, allowing me to put a ceiling in the lower level (with can lights, two ceiling fans, and AV wiring).  Have wiring access to AV closet.  Ran x1 50' HDMI cable, x2 cat6 lines, x1 3.5mm audio cable (in case I ever use a raspberry pi, or something small at projector location) and x2 speaker wire lines from closet to projector spot and permanently connected two outdoor polk speakers back to receiver inside.  For projector itself, actually found one for $150 on FB marketplace.  I didn't want to spend a ton for one that would be living outside (even in a covered area - temperature variations, humidity, bugs and other nasties).  Found a cheap used 100" pull down screen as well for $30 (much better for outside that something that will be down all the time and get stuff on it). 

matttyl said:
I was in a similar situation a year or two ago.  I have a two tier deck on the back of my house.  I put a waterproof membrane down when replacing the decking on the top level, allowing me to put a ceiling in the lower level (with can lights, two ceiling fans, and AV wiring).  Have wiring access to AV closet.  Ran x1 50' HDMI cable, x2 cat6 lines, x1 3.5mm audio cable (in case I ever use a raspberry pi, or something small at projector location) and x2 speaker wire lines from closet to projector spot and permanently connected two outdoor polk speakers back to receiver inside.  For projector itself, actually found one for $150 on FB marketplace.  I didn't want to spend a ton for one that would be living outside (even in a covered area - temperature variations, humidity, bugs and other nasties).  Found a cheap used 100" pull down screen as well for $30 (much better for outside that something that will be down all the time and get stuff on it). 
I've been all over FB marketplace.  There's some really cheap stuff there.  I guess my question is how cheap can I get to achieve my goal.  I'm not trying to recreate my basement HT outdoors - If I want quality, we'll go inside...This is more for playing cartoons for the kids on summer nights and that kind of thing.  It doesn't have to be super-nice...just not junk.  What projector did you end up with?

I've been all over FB marketplace.  There's some really cheap stuff there.  I guess my question is how cheap can I get to achieve my goal.  I'm not trying to recreate my basement HT outdoors - If I want quality, we'll go inside...This is more for playing cartoons for the kids on summer nights and that kind of thing.  It doesn't have to be super-nice...just not junk.  What projector did you end up with?
$40 for a 100' elite screens manual pull down screen.  $150 for a gently used (in an office setting) Optoma HD20.  It was one of the very first 1080p projectors - and it had the two things I needed - HDMI port (has two actually), and a remote.  It's a bit light on the lumens (pardon the pun), but works for what I'll use it for. 

A lot of projectors, including the one I pointed out, include an audio output, so it will split the audio out of the HDMI.  

A lot of projectors, including the one I pointed out, include an audio output, so it will split the audio out of the HDMI.  
Sweet.  I didn't realize that.  I've seen some with built-in speakers, but didn't notice/think to look for the audio out.  That'd save me ~$30 or so, and one less thing to lug around.

so if my projector is about 3 inches right of center (stupid beam) - I need horizontal keystone correct.   

It might not even be that much but I know I have to tweak it.

Not seeing a lot of 4K projectors with that

Sweet.  I didn't realize that.  I've seen some with built-in speakers, but didn't notice/think to look for the audio out.  That'd save me ~$30 or so, and one less thing to lug around.
What I did was simply run a "B set" of speakers from the receiver in my AV rack already.  That's where any video source was going to be coming from anyway. 

What I did was simply run a "B set" of speakers from the receiver in my AV rack already.  That's where any video source was going to be coming from anyway. 
So I've basically got 3 zones for my AV (2 video, 1 audio only).  1 is my main theater downstairs.  The 2nd video one I have hooked up to Monoprice Bitpath, so I can basically split it and send it wherever I want via Cat6.  I have 2 existing hook-ups from this 2nd zone - one in the master bedroom, and one in the gym.  The 3rd hook-up would be a jack outside for my outdoor projector.  The 3rd zone is audio-only.  My issue if I had a dedicated set of speakers from the AV rack is that since that zone is used for other things, it'd throw sound out of those speakers any time I watched the source in the MBR or Gym.  I totally was going to go that route until I thought of that unwanted side-effect.

Nothing like watching some trash TV int he MBR before bed and not knowing the sound is blaring out of the outdoor speakers!

so if my projector is about 3 inches right of center (stupid beam) - I need horizontal keystone correct.   

It might not even be that much but I know I have to tweak it.

Not seeing a lot of 4K projectors with that
I take it that is not feasible to move the screen.  Horizontal keystone correction would work if available but with some loss of resolution.   Not a big deal on a small correction.   Ideally you would fix it horizontal lens shift, but I think such is only available on highend projectors. 

I take it that is not feasible to move the screen.  Horizontal keystone correction would work if available but with some loss of resolution.   Not a big deal on a small correction.   Ideally you would fix it horizontal lens shift, but I think such is only available on highend projectors. 
No. Not without redoing my basement.  I  made it as close to center as possible.  If I had my way from the start my screen would be bigger but I'm limited, and reached the point where I'm too lazy now to rerun anything :)

I would say if I was straight on I'm about 3" right of center.  I haven't really noticed much in picture quality from when it was centered on a table to hanging. I mean in theory I could probably center it by putting a shelf on the wall and running the cables over to it but then I'd need vertical shift, which is common.  My current 1080p has both keystone and looks good if it becomes impossible to get horizontal with affordable 4k, I'll have to revisit a shelf or something

So I've basically got 3 zones for my AV (2 video, 1 audio only).  1 is my main theater downstairs.  The 2nd video one I have hooked up to Monoprice Bitpath, so I can basically split it and send it wherever I want via Cat6.  I have 2 existing hook-ups from this 2nd zone - one in the master bedroom, and one in the gym.  The 3rd hook-up would be a jack outside for my outdoor projector.  The 3rd zone is audio-only.  My issue if I had a dedicated set of speakers from the AV rack is that since that zone is used for other things, it'd throw sound out of those speakers any time I watched the source in the MBR or Gym.  I totally was going to go that route until I thought of that unwanted side-effect.

Nothing like watching some trash TV int he MBR before bed and not knowing the sound is blaring out of the outdoor speakers!
That location / receiver doesn't have a "zone 2/B" directly off of it, before the bitpath?

I've got a pretty complicated setup myself.  I tried to do a whole networking from one central location deal, but it wasn't meant to be.  Basement HT room has it's own 7.1 setup, doesn't go anywhere else (though does have a set of speaker lines run to AV closet in adjacent room).  AV closet in basement (also housing my cat's litter boxes on the floor for the time being.....😑) has a (from facebook marketplace, see a theme here?) Sony receiver that is 7.2 - but also has THREE HDMI outputs for some odd reason.  I only needed two.  Main is for the basement kitchenette / living room area, zone 2 is outside.  It powers both inside and outside speakers / zones.  That AV closet is where any video source is going to be coming from for the projector anyway, and I wanted to have the least amount of stuff outside - even if covered.  So just the projector outside, connected to 2nd HDMI on that receiver, and 2 outdoor speakers connected to zone 2.  Video sources, for now, include a chromecast, blu ray player, and raspberry pi (which can stream my cable channels from a networked hd homerun prime TV tuner - so I don't have to pay for an additional cable box).  

The Epson 5040, while not true 4k, is awesome and worth every penny.

Home theater is fun again!
I see they have the deal going again where for $2k you can get this projector from B&H (no tax, free shipping) plus a spare lamp.  Was that what you got in on originally?  Wondering if I should wait and see if it goes lower now that there is the 5050UB out there.  Then I have to figure out how I'm going to set this thing up.  The size of it is significant and my old Panny PTAE700u was shooting out of the back of a mounted bar cabinet.  it fit perfectly in there and was nicely hidden as a result.  Don't think I can pull that off with this Epson.  Pretty sure that at 18" (not counting cables protruding) it won't fit in the cabinet.  Essentially my options are to have it mounted under the cabinet and exposed or have some pole drop down (the ceiling is a drop ceiling, so I guess I'd go through to one of the joists above?) and do a mount that way.  Any other options you can think of?  

I already bought my new audio unit (haven't installed it yet), but if I get this and upgrade my center channel like I was planning, I'll essentially have a whole new theater which is kind of cool.  Originally set this up just over 13 years ago.

Side question - what size speakers do you use for your side/rear surrounds?  Right now I just have tiny satellites, like real small.  Wondering how much of an upgrade would benefit there.

Figured out I am able to move a couple things with in reason if I go without Horizontal Keystone.... so tempted now

I see they have the deal going again where for $2k you can get this projector from B&H (no tax, free shipping) plus a spare lamp.  Was that what you got in on originally?  Wondering if I should wait and see if it goes lower now that there is the 5050UB out there.  Then I have to figure out how I'm going to set this thing up.  The size of it is significant and my old Panny PTAE700u was shooting out of the back of a mounted bar cabinet.  it fit perfectly in there and was nicely hidden as a result.  Don't think I can pull that off with this Epson.  Pretty sure that at 18" (not counting cables protruding) it won't fit in the cabinet.  Essentially my options are to have it mounted under the cabinet and exposed or have some pole drop down (the ceiling is a drop ceiling, so I guess I'd go through to one of the joists above?) and do a mount that way.  Any other options you can think of?  

I already bought my new audio unit (haven't installed it yet), but if I get this and upgrade my center channel like I was planning, I'll essentially have a whole new theater which is kind of cool.  Originally set this up just over 13 years ago.

Side question - what size speakers do you use for your side/rear surrounds?  Right now I just have tiny satellites, like real small.  Wondering how much of an upgrade would benefit there.
I bought mine from VisualApex and got a free mount plus the bulb. The mount came with a longer pole, I think for just that reason - to come through a drop ceiling.

For surrounds I actually use these. They're supposed to be used on the front speakers in an Atmos setup. They do a good job as my surrounds - yes I think there's benefits to having better speakers in the back.

I bought mine from VisualApex and got a free mount plus the bulb. The mount came with a longer pole, I think for just that reason - to come through a drop ceiling.

For surrounds I actually use these. They're supposed to be used on the front speakers in an Atmos setup. They do a good job as my surrounds - yes I think there's benefits to having better speakers in the back.
What do you think of these for surrounds?  About $280 on Amazon currently.  Klipsch version of the ones you posted on Amazon is $300. Would be replacing quintet satellites as side (and maybe rears as well). Don't currently do an Atmos setup, but new receiver allows for it.  Not sure I'm sold on the value, though.

Unfortunately, projector is going to have to wait.  Was ready to pull the trigger, but now we are putting in a big paver patio and that's where the main fun dollars for this year are going.

What do you think of these for surrounds?  About $280 on Amazon currently.  Klipsch version of the ones you posted on Amazon is $300. Would be replacing quintet satellites as side (and maybe rears as well). Don't currently do an Atmos setup, but new receiver allows for it.  Not sure I'm sold on the value, though.

Unfortunately, projector is going to have to wait.  Was ready to pull the trigger, but now we are putting in a big paver patio and that's where the main fun dollars for this year are going.
I guess I'd have to hear them before opining. I've always found Klipsch to be a bit "bright" sounding as mains, but that might be a good thing for surrounds.

Atmos is awesome.

Epson 5040ub refurbished for $1151. This is the greatest deal ever. The last PJ I got was a refurbished unit from Epson and I had zero issues.

If you were ever considering a projector, now is the time. The 5040ub is what's in my basement and it's awesome.

https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/Home-Entertainment/PowerLite-Home-Cinema-5040UB-3LCD-Projector-with-4K-Enhancement-and-HDR---Refurbished/p/V11H713020-N??utm_source=cj&utm_medium=aff&utm_content=4485850&utm_campaign=gen-txt&ref=aff_cj_4485850&cjevent=1e4683f28d1311e98191007e0a240611

I realize I'm being lazy but what is the best way to configure the audio and video for my setup?  I normally just push the "movie" button on the Denon remote for the audio.  Haven't done anything to the Optoma settings since getting it.  Do I need to upgrade my AVR->Projector cable to get a better setup?

Roku Ultra to 

HDMI 2.2 cable to 

Denon AVR E300 - Polk 5.1 speakers to

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable to

Optoma HD27HDR

In wall/ceiling surround speaker suggestions?

Willing to spend the money for a good option.

eta - looking at definitive.

Epson 5040ub refurbished for $1151. This is the greatest deal ever. The last PJ I got was a refurbished unit from Epson and I had zero issues.

If you were ever considering a projector, now is the time. The 5040ub is what's in my basement and it's awesome.

https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/Home-Entertainment/PowerLite-Home-Cinema-5040UB-3LCD-Projector-with-4K-Enhancement-and-HDR---Refurbished/p/V11H713020-N??utm_source=cj&utm_medium=aff&utm_content=4485850&utm_campaign=gen-txt&ref=aff_cj_4485850&cjevent=1e4683f28d1311e98191007e0a240611
Didn't see this post before, but found out about the deal from AVSForums. I finally jumped on it and got my unit delivered today. Looks to be working just fine...I know some people had issues. Love that it comes with the full warranty. Also might be able to get the free lamp via rebate on top of it, so potential bonus there. 

The picture already looks great out of the box. Any recommendations on settings or any of that stuff? An I supposed to save different settings for watching different kinds of stuff like Sports, video games, streamed movies, 4k stuff, etc?

Is there some kind of setting where I can stream torrented movies on Plex and have the projector upconvert the signal?

@Polish Hammer Sorry, I had meant to reply earlier but it slipped my mind.

I'm still tweaking my projector often - but only because I want to. There is so much customizing you can do that it's hard to keep it straight.

I started with these two links and have tinkered from there:

https://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/epson-pro-cinema-6040ub-projector-calibration-settings/

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2563857-official-epson-5040ub-6040ub-owners-thread-557.html#/topics/2563857?page=557

The AVS forum link has posts from people that have adjusted settings that work well.

One thing for sure, for me, is that if I'm playing non-4k material I use a saved setting ensures tay the HDR effect is OFF. When I use HDR settings on non-4k stuff, like a standard Blu-ray, it makes the picture look pretty cartoonish and enhances the colors way too much.

I have 6 or 7 saved settings. But then I can't remember which I set for what! But I could fix that if I just used the re-label function.

@Polish Hammer Sorry, I had meant to reply earlier but it slipped my mind.

I'm still tweaking my projector often - but only because I want to. There is so much customizing you can do that it's hard to keep it straight.

I started with these two links and have tinkered from there:

https://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/epson-pro-cinema-6040ub-projector-calibration-settings/

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2563857-official-epson-5040ub-6040ub-owners-thread-557.html#/topics/2563857?page=557

The AVS forum link has posts from people that have adjusted settings that work well.

One thing for sure, for me, is that if I'm playing non-4k material I use a saved setting ensures tay the HDR effect is OFF. When I use HDR settings on non-4k stuff, like a standard Blu-ray, it makes the picture look pretty cartoonish and enhances the colors way too much.

I have 6 or 7 saved settings. But then I can't remember which I set for what! But I could fix that if I just used the re-label function.
Thanks, man.  I'm trying to simplify it a bit.  The reality is I'll only have (for now) two kinds of 4k input - Amazon Prime Streaming and some Xfinity broadcast stuff (not yet paying the extra for Netflix 4k). So I guess most of what I'm watching otherwise is non-4k including a bunch of movies streamed from my computer via PLEX.  I found this PDF from AVS that has multiple settings from some dude called oledurt, Dave Harper, achanoier, and others.  How the heck do I know which of these I want to use?

Also, I'm hoping there's some kind of deal on Prime Day for screens.  Currently using a 92" DIY, but realized I could fit in an edgeless screen that's 110". I can actually get a grey one for free from Elite Screens, but don't know if I need/want a grey screen. Otherwise looking for one of their white ones from scratch/dent or maybe a Prime Day Silver Ticket screen.  Do you have any thoughts on that stuff?

I have a 106" white DaLite screen and don't feel the need to ante up for gray. I bought it off Craigslist for $100. I'd search there if you're going budget. Otherwise, it does seem like those Silver Ticket screens are well liked. I haven't researched screens much.

If you're keeping it simple with the picture settings, I'd say keep to 1) the main "Image" menu and figure out which Color Mode you like best for each source and then tweak the Brightness/Contrast/Color Saturation/Tint menus and then 2) In the "Signal/Advanced" menu cycle through the Dynamic Range options (this is where I set a memory option to ensure SDR for non-4k viewing).

The nerds mess with gamma and other things in the Image/Advanced settings but I get lost in all that.

I just upgraded my old (non 4K) Denon to the Onkyo TX-NR686 for $250.  Looking into getting new 5.1.2 speakers and its a bit overwhelming.  Any suggestions?  Looking to keep it under $1000 (I could keep my polk sub).  Local guy is recommending Goldenear but they're a little over budget.

Users who are viewing this thread