What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about Cutler now? (current info on pg 46) (1 Viewer)

does cutler hold the ball too long? yes

does he sometimes not look good in the pocket? yes

was last nights debacle cutler's fault? no

that was an embarrassing preformance by the bears O last night. i think the biggest worry for the bears is getting their QB killed

When Cutler isn't even seeing a wide open Earl Bennett, you know something is wrong.. Cutler loves throwing to him in coverage. I really think he got his concussion way earlier.. combine that with the crappy Oline, relentless pressure, and I can understand a game like last night.

does cutler hold the ball too long? yesdoes he sometimes not look good in the pocket? yeswas last nights debacle cutler's fault? nothat was an embarrassing preformance by the bears O last night. i think the biggest worry for the bears is getting their QB killed
How was none of last night his fault?The Packers Oline sucked last year, but 90% of the fans out there could see that part of it was Rodgers fault for holding the ball too long at times.

I think the same as I did about Cutler as I wrote in the preseason. The Bears should pass for 4,000+ yards and about 25 Tds, I just doubt that Cutler stays healthy enough in the Martz system to do all the passing for the Bears.

The blame should be shared between (in descending order): (a) the OC for not changing to a scheme that gave Cutler added protection he needed; (b) the O-line for not being up to blocking, well, anybody; and Cutler for not just throwing the ball away in a timely fashion. Note that with the last one they Bears' offense would still have been in BIG trouble as it does not get first downs.

When Cutler isn't even seeing a wide open Earl Bennett, you know something is wrong.. Cutler loves throwing to him in coverage. I really think he got his concussion way earlier.. combine that with the crappy Oline, relentless pressure, and I can understand a game like last night.
:thumbdown: Cutler just doesnt hold the ball like that. He would be more inclined to just chuck it around and try to force things that arent there and wind up with like 4 picks, than holding it like he was.I dont think he was seeing properly.

Every year the Cutler lovers have a different excuse for him.

When do you think this super talented QB will have his first winning season?
Every year Packers fans hate on Bears players....

Aaron Rodgers 84/122 68.9% 940 yards 8td/ 5INT 96.3 QB Rating

Jay Cutler 68/102 66.7% 912 yards 6td/ 3INT 102.2

Move Along...
As long as you are happy with him that is all that counts but the guy is not a winner and his college and pro records prove that. Are you saying only Packer fans can see that? I think everyone sees that except a few Bear fans.
Your point will be valid, when a football turns into a 1 on 1 game.

Move Along...
As long as you are happy with him that is all that counts but the guy is not a winner and his college and pro records prove that. Are you saying only Packer fans can see that? I think everyone sees that except a few Bear fans.
As if your point by posting their stats through 4 games was valid because they played against the exact same teams in the exact same situations right?Again...Rodgers (fantasy and reality) has proven to be >>> Cutler

Plenty who are not Packer fans can come to this conclusion...but you seem to just think its Packer fans right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Move Along...
As if your point by posting their stats through 4 games was valid because they played against the exact same teams in the exact same situations right?Again...Rodgers (fantasy and reality) has proven to be >>> Cutler

Plenty who are not Packer fans can come to this conclusion...but you seem to just think its Packer fans right?
That would be because Packer fans live in this thread. I feel that I bring useful information that isn't "hater" esque in the Packers thread.You say proven to be....but Cutler has better stats....yet that isn't valid at all???

vanderbilt has had 5 winning seasons since 1960. 3 of them were in the 70s. the other yrs were 82 and 08. i dont really think that losing there should be used as evidence against cutlers ability.

That would be because Packer fans live in this thread. I feel that I bring useful information that isn't "hater" esque in the Packers thread.You say proven to be....but Cutler has better stats....yet that isn't valid at all???
Looking at "who posted in this thread" seems to show the top posters are hardly just Packer fans.I say proven to be...Cutler has better "stats" right now over 4 games (by a small margin)...is it valid? To base their overall play and talent on 4 games this year and no others is not very valid...no.Rodgers has more yards, more TDs (passing plus 2 rushing TDs), and a higher passing percetanage.Cutler has him in rating, and fewer INTs...but Cutler adds in 2 lost fumbles to even up turnovers.Rating and yards are quite close too.And interesting is prior to last night Cutler has been given quite a bit of praise...and most agree Rodgers has not been playing up to his potential and how most know he can play.So Cutler has better stats? You only want to go by rating and yards per attempt?

Aaron Rodgers 84/122 68.9% 940 yards 8td/ 5INT 96.3 QB RatingJay Cutler 68/102 66.7% 912 yards 6td/ 3INT 102.2
You say proven to be....but Cutler has better stats....yet that isn't valid at all???
I'm not sure what stats you are referring to, but it can't be the ones you quoted.In those, Cutler has a better pass rating, barely better TD to INT ratio, whereas Rodgers has thrown for more yards and more TDs. They're pretty close in those stats.Of course if you look at the last few seasons, Rodgers has a huge lead over Cutler statistically.And no, I'm not a Packer fan.

Oh good god. 'Fire in his eyes'? Where does that show up on the scouting report? Embers per second? This is silly homerism talk. Every QB wants to win, they've been playing football all their lives and probably winning most of the time. Lets talk about all the gritty, hell bent for leather QBs in that have passed through the league that suck, cuz there are plenty of them. Cutler can't win with you guys- he tries to beat coverage and gets picked and he's a turnover machine, he doesn't make that pass and he doesn't have the fire needed to be a winner. And you're pimping Gradkowski? Why don't we bring back Rex Grossman? He had the fire and the swagger right?
there is NO homerism whatsoever. stop it, I don't care about about cutler or grads. I was just trying to push the point across that there are warrior QBs like grads, shaun hill and garcia, who, despite their shortcomings, win games and get their offenses pumped up because they are winners. on other hand, you have guys with great physical talent who lack leadership. I'm not 'pimping' anyone- I was just pointing out what the poster who I quoted meant, or at least what I thought he meant.and the thing is, Cutler has been a disappointed career. I was saying how I would easily take Orton over Cutler before Cutler's season last year. In fact, Cutler has been nothing more than mediocre. And last year he was a bum. His best year, he still had a crappy TD/int ratio, despite having 1)one of the offensive playcalling geniuses in Shanahan 2) an elite O-line 3)brandon marshall and a good receiving core. That last year in Denver was when people starting jumping on his jockstrap, and it was pretty disgusting, just as it is disgusting watching Favre- the media darling and a Madden favorite- get tons of praise when chucking the ball like crazy. That's not good QBing, it's an entertaining farce.

and, if you actually have read my post, my gripe with cutler is simple- decisions. you are not supposed to throw in double coverage or triple coverage. get rid of the ball when pressure is coming, or no one is open. it's really simple. but decisions is what the QB position is all about, that and reading the defense. and cutler is terrible at both. he tries to do too much relying on his cannon.

like I've said, I don't care about QB's volume numbers, he might toss 35 tds, but if he tosses 30 picks to go with it, it is not a good year at all.

Move Along...
yes, that is an excellent move right there man !yes, take the 4 game sample size and write out stats.

why dont you do career numbers ? oh wait, the career numbers don't seem to support your theory at all, that's why !

I mean, over the last 4 games, Michael Vick and Mark Sanchez have better QB rating than Drew Brees. Well that settles it, right ? Vick, Fez > Brees, right ?

Move Along...
Let me see Vanderbilt, Denver and now Chicago. I think my point has a lot more validity than you want to admit. We are not talking about championships, just a winning season.

I'm not sure if everyone was watching the same game I was.

The O-Line was horrendous. Five Bears' OL could not block four Giants DL. They not only did not block them, they did not even slow them up. So there were seven guys in coverage. I'm pretty sure that in that case no one is likely to be open. NO QB would complete passes under those circumstances (well, MAYBE Peyton). Especially with an average group of receivers.

As a Bears' fan, I am fine with Cutler. Get him an O-Line and a good receiver, and he will be at least above average, still with the potential to be a top 3 QB.

And as a Bears' fan, I will admit that Rodgers is way better. There is not really any comparison between them. I think I saw Rodgers' career red zone numbers yesterday, and it was like 40 TD's and ONE interception. Cutler is not there yet, and may never get to that level.

Right now Cutler is an average QB with the potential to be a lot better. Maybe he will keep making dumb decisions and never get there. But he is a tough guy and you have to respect that. He really has taken a beating as a Bear. He also may have had a concussion before the Ross hit (I heard on radio that he ran to wrong sideline earlier in the game).

Excuses? Maybe. But everyone has bad games. And Cutler has been excellent before this game.

The O-Line was horrendous. Five Bears' OL could not block four Giants DL. They not only did not block them, they did not even slow them up. So there were seven guys in coverage. I'm pretty sure that in that case no one is likely to be open. NO QB would complete passes under those circumstances (well, MAYBE Peyton). Especially with an average group of receivers.

As a Bears' fan, I am fine with Cutler. Get him an O-Line and a good receiver, and he will be at least above average, still with the potential to be a top 3 QB.

And as a Bears' fan, I will admit that Rodgers is way better. There is not really any comparison between them. I think I saw Rodgers' career red zone numbers yesterday, and it was like 40 TD's and ONE interception. Cutler is not there yet, and may never get to that level.

Right now Cutler is an average QB with the potential to be a lot better. Maybe he will keep making dumb decisions and never get there. But he is a tough guy and you have to respect that. He really has taken a beating as a Bear. He also may have had a concussion before the Ross hit (I heard on radio that he ran to wrong sideline earlier in the game).

Excuses? Maybe. But everyone has bad games. And Cutler has been excellent before this game.
I agree with pretty much everything but the bolded...I don't see Cutler even having the talent to approach Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers... can he be a good QB, yeah for sure... but a GREAT QB... I haven't seen anything yet to make me think so - even when he was in DEN putting up yardage totals he was tossing picks left and right. Great QBs do more than compile some stats, they lead their team to wins - Cutler just doesn't do that consistently, not even in the best of circumstances like he had in Denver.

But Cutler isn't the only problem in Chicago, and far from the biggest problem - coaching, management, OL, running game are all more of a problem than Cutler

I agree with pretty much everything but the bolded...I don't see Cutler even having the talent to approach Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers... can he be a good QB, yeah for sure... but a GREAT QB... I haven't seen anything yet to make me think so - even when he was in DEN putting up yardage totals he was tossing picks left and right. Great QBs do more than compile some stats, they lead their team to wins - Cutler just doesn't do that consistently, not even in the best of circumstances like he had in Denver.

But Cutler isn't the only problem in Chicago, and far from the biggest problem - coaching, management, OL, running game are all more of a problem than Cutler
Agreed...I don't Cutler has the QB mind to be up there with those. I think he has the arm...but not everything else that goes with it right now.And yes, they have plenty of problems...far more than just Cutler's issues.

He's a good QB, above average.

Anyone expecting him to be a Brady/Manning type QB is out of their mind. Those are HOF QBs. What's wrong with having a Good QB?

Looking at "who posted in this thread" seems to show the top posters are hardly just Packer fans.I say proven to be...Cutler has better "stats" right now over 4 games (by a small margin)...is it valid? To base their overall play and talent on 4 games this year and no others is not very valid...no.Rodgers has more yards, more TDs (passing plus 2 rushing TDs), and a higher passing percetanage.Cutler has him in rating, and fewer INTs...but Cutler adds in 2 lost fumbles to even up turnovers.Rating and yards are quite close too.And interesting is prior to last night Cutler has been given quite a bit of praise...and most agree Rodgers has not been playing up to his potential and how most know he can play.So Cutler has better stats? You only want to go by rating and yards per attempt?
Who won head to head?

Anyone expecting him to be a Brady/Manning type QB is out of their mind. Those are HOF QBs. What's wrong with having a Good QB?
:lol: I love it when Cutler bashers talk like his fans talk him up like he is the best QB in the NFL, when no one does that. Is he a good QB? Absolutely. Does he have some bad games that make you scratch your head? Absolutely. See: the game at SF last year. Does he have some great games that make you wonder why he can't play like that all of the time? Absolutely. See: the game vs. Dallas 15 days ago. Like has been said, he is a good QB. He has the potential to be great, but he still needs to work on several areas of his game. If I had to list the 10 best NFL QBs right now (real, not in fantasy football), he would be in the upper half - top 16, but probably not quite top 10. He needs to show more consistency first. But for whatever reason, Cutler is a very polarizing player, so whenever he has a bad game, which, yes, he does have sometimes, they come out in full force, and then we hear all of this talk about how that bad game is the "real" Jay Cutler, like all of the good games somehow never happened. The critics taking that stance are as disingenuous as the Peyton Manning bashers who act like he does nothing but choke in big games, pointing at his poor playoff performances and acting like his great ones either never happened or don't matter. No, I am not saying Cutler is the equal of Peyton Manning - no one in their right mind would say that - but I am just pointing out what can happen when sports fans get too focused on constantly hating on a player.

vanderbilt has had 5 winning seasons since 1960. 3 of them were in the 70s. the other yrs were 82 and 08. i dont really think that losing there should be used as evidence against cutlers ability.
I was going to bring that up myself. If one is familiar with what he had to work with it at Vanderbilt, he actually did pretty well, given the circumstances. Pointing to his record there doesn't really prove much of anything IMO.

Who won head to head?
The Bears.What does that have to do with a QB vs. QB comparison.Rodgers had better numbers that night.

I love it when Cutler bashers talk like his fans talk him up like he is the best QB in the NFL, when no one does that.
Oh I missed where someone saying they think he's a top-3 QB is somehow not talking him up like he's a great QB. :rant:

Funny how the most outspoken bashers of Cutler never bump this thread after a day like today, where Cutler was spectacular and instrumental in the Bears defeating a red-hot Eagles team.

Funny how the most outspoken bashers of Cutler never bump this thread after a day like today, where Cutler was spectacular and instrumental in the Bears defeating a red-hot Eagles team.
Cutler clearly outplayed FBG darling Vick today. I love the sound of silence.

He still forces the ball in spots he shouldn't at times but he played well today. Martz is orchestrating that offense at a high level right now and Jay is responding positively.

Next time he has a bad game it'll get bumped. The problem is he has already had a successful year in a new offense with a weak offensive line. Nothing has changed--he forces passes sometimes, but he's an excellent quarterback who can make throws that other quarterbacks can't to win games. If he eats the ball and takes the sack, like he did today, instead of throwing it up for grabs, the Bears will do very well with that defense.

Next time he has a bad game it'll get bumped. The problem is he has already had a successful year in a new offense with a weak offensive line. Nothing has changed--he forces passes sometimes, but he's an excellent quarterback who can make throws that other quarterbacks can't to win games. If he eats the ball and takes the sack, like he did today, instead of throwing it up for grabs, the Bears will do very well with that defense.
I like Cutler but between the ears he still doesnt get it sometimes.Like today, up 12 with 4 mins to go and 3rd down he tried to force a stupid pass over the middle that was nearly a pick 6. You wont see a Peyton or Brady make that pass in the same situation

I like Cutler but between the ears he still doesnt get it sometimes.Like today, up 12 with 4 mins to go and 3rd down he tried to force a stupid pass over the middle that was nearly a pick 6. You wont see a Peyton or Brady make that pass in the same situation
In a shocking twist, not every QB can be a Peyton or Brady. Be happy you have a competent QB that can actually play behind a third-rate O-line.

What did Peyton do last week? Down 3 in field goal range, made a stupid pass that was picked off. Cutler makes stupid decisions, we get it. But he can also do things most QBs can't with his arm. He isn't manning or Brady. Only maybe 5 guys ever are as good or better than them.

Users who are viewing this thread