What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about Cutler now? (current info on pg 46) (3 Viewers)

"Talent" wise, Cutler is elite, it's his decision making that is keeps him middle of the pack. Only a few QB's can make every throw, with accuracy, and Cutler is one of them, but he still tries to do too much, or does something stupid...way too often. I believe it takes a QB till age 28-30 to truly get "it" and we will see with Cutler over the next few years if he is going to be the type that can win a SuperBowl...
The TD-INT ratio would disagree with you. I'm still surprised with how many people think Cutler is uber-talented. He's middle of the pack among starting NFL QBs. Talent is more than arm strength and mobility. Cutler has those attributes, but is sorely lacking in many other areas. I don't hate the guy, but the love he gets on this board by some people is really absurd. His accuracy isn't that great, he has a hard time reading defenses, he is soft, and lacks leadership intangibles.But he's not a terrible QB. He's just not a great QB either.
:shrug: Strong arm, terrible footwork

Good mobility, bad decision making

Have to put him in the middle (somewhere in that 10-16 ranking).

Defense carried Dilfer to a SuperBowl, but I wouldnt call Dilfer a great qb. Without the Bears D play this year, Cutler would be lucky to have five wins so far. And fyi, I was a huge fan of the trade for Cutler by the Bears - thought it was a great move. Now? Not so much. If the Bears go far in the playoffs, it will be the d doing it.

Becomes one of 15 players ever to throw 100 career touchdowns age 27 or younger.

Becomes one of seven players ever to throw 100 career touchdowns, for 15,000 yards & over 60% completion percentage age 27 or younger.

Becomes one of 15 players ever to throw 100 career touchdowns age 27 or younger.Becomes one of seven players ever to throw 100 career touchdowns, for 15,000 yards & over 60% completion percentage age 27 or younger.
And finally had a winning season as a college or pro QB.

I thought Steve Young actually made a pretty good point about Cutler on the MNF post-game broadcast. He said something like, Cutler has the arm strength, athleticism and toughness to be a great QB, but doesn't have the footwork to ever be consistently great. IF he would ever consciously work on his fundamentals he could be a great QB, but since he doesn't appear interested in that he's probably going to always be an erratic passer.

That said, he's still the best QB the Bears have ever had. It's not even that close in my opinion.

I thought Steve Young actually made a pretty good point about Cutler on the MNF post-game broadcast. He said something like, Cutler has the arm strength, athleticism and toughness to be a great QB, but doesn't have the footwork to ever be consistently great. IF he would ever consciously work on his fundamentals he could be a great QB, but since he doesn't appear interested in that he's probably going to always be an erratic passer. That said, he's still the best QB the Bears have ever had. It's not even that close in my opinion.
Ever?Sid Luckman down?

I thought Steve Young actually made a pretty good point about Cutler on the MNF post-game broadcast. He said something like, Cutler has the arm strength, athleticism and toughness to be a great QB, but doesn't have the footwork to ever be consistently great. IF he would ever consciously work on his fundamentals he could be a great QB, but since he doesn't appear interested in that he's probably going to always be an erratic passer. That said, he's still the best QB the Bears have ever had. It's not even that close in my opinion.
Ever?Sid Luckman down?
Actually, that's a very interesting observation. When Martz first came to town, he asked the QBs what was the one thing they wanted to work on the most. Cutler told him his footwork. that's one of the things they've been working on the most with Cutler. It's obviously a work in progress, but Cutler isn't "disinterested" in that. He'll just get better and better.Also, don't mistake disinterested for "not being emotional." Eli isn't emotional, doesn't mean he doesn't care.

Becomes one of 15 players ever to throw 100 career touchdowns age 27 or younger.Becomes one of seven players ever to throw 100 career touchdowns, for 15,000 yards & over 60% completion percentage age 27 or younger.
And finally had a winning season as a college or pro QB.
I bet he's happy to be on a decent team for a change also. Good point.
A better way to say it is that he is probably happy to be on a team with a good defense for a change. In his four seasons as a full-time NFL starter, this is the first time he's had a defense that didn't finish in bottom half of the league in total defense...and look what is happening: he is winning. Seems to me that some of us correctly pointed out that if he ever played on a team where the defense wasn't poor, he wouldn't press as much and throw as many INTs and he would probably win more games. And again, look what is happening: his turnovers are way down and he is winning ball games. No, Jay Cutler is not the sole reason why they are 10-4, and I doubt anyone would suggest that, but this year is proving loud and clear that he can be the QB on a winning team, which many have suggested could and would never happen. :grad:He still needs a lot of work before he can become an upper tier NFL QB (which I am not sure will ever happen), but for now, he is a slightly above average NFL QB who is proving that he can play well and win ball games on a team that collectively has a good cast around him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Old saying (paraphrased): The single biggest help for a QB isn't a great tackle or receiver, or even an great Oline...it's a great defense.

He still needs a lot of work before he can become an upper tier NFL QB (which I am not sure will ever happen), but for now, he is a slightly above average NFL QB who is proving that he can play well and win ball games on a team that collectively has a good cast around him.
I may be wrong, but this seems like a major turn around in opinion for you.I think it's clear that Cutler is not the type of QB that can win games for a team, carry the team on his back. Because he is a bad decision maker. However, given an exceptional defense, and a solid running game, Cutler can limit his mistakes enough to keep the team in position to win.He's not top 5, not even top 10 as an NFL QB, and failed in Martz pass happy offense. But when Martz scaled things back, took the pressure off Cutler to win with his arm, Cutler has performed decently well, and has limited the boneheaded mistakes he was previously making.

He still needs a lot of work before he can become an upper tier NFL QB (which I am not sure will ever happen), but for now, he is a slightly above average NFL QB who is proving that he can play well and win ball games on a team that collectively has a good cast around him.
I may be wrong, but this seems like a major turn around in opinion for you.I think it's clear that Cutler is not the type of QB that can win games for a team, carry the team on his back. Because he is a bad decision maker. However, given an exceptional defense, and a solid running game, Cutler can limit his mistakes enough to keep the team in position to win.He's not top 5, not even top 10 as an NFL QB, and failed in Martz pass happy offense. But when Martz scaled things back, took the pressure off Cutler to win with his arm, Cutler has performed decently well, and has limited the boneheaded mistakes he was previously making.
Over the last 4 weeks, he has been a top 10 QB in fantasy points. Actually #8, you wouldn't believe it but he has slightly more fantasy points than Phillip Rivers over the last 4 weeks. It is what it is.

Over the last 4 weeks, he has been a top 10 QB in fantasy points. Actually #8, you wouldn't believe it but he has slightly more fantasy points than Phillip Rivers over the last 4 weeks. It is what it is.
He's almost always been a good FF QB. Just not always a good NFL QB. Sometimes we have difficulty distinguishing between the two because we believe FF success indicates NFL success. That's not really true.

I may be wrong, but this seems like a major turn around in opinion for you.I think it's clear that Cutler is not the type of QB that can win games for a team, carry the team on his back. Because he is a bad decision maker. However, given an exceptional defense, and a solid running game, Cutler can limit his mistakes enough to keep the team in position to win.

He's not top 5, not even top 10 as an NFL QB, and failed in Martz pass happy offense. But when Martz scaled things back, took the pressure off Cutler to win with his arm Cutler has performed decently well, and has limited the boneheaded mistakes he was previously making.
does this mean actually started running a balanced offense? Because that's when Cutler started improving. Which I am sure most QBs would. I wouldn't say Martz has scaled things back at all, he was just reminded that there's a RB position in the NFL.

If you were getting drilled, on the 3rd step back in your 7 step drop, you'd have sloppy footwork as well. I know Cutler is no Brees, but let's not tar/feather him here. Sure, he has made boneheaded throws, but a good amount of them are when he has been either trailing by multiple tds, or getting constant harrassment.

A Martz offense calls for wrs to get downfield on 15-20 yard routes. That O-Line wasn't supplying the amount of time it takes to allow for those full 7 step drops. They've scaled back the offense a little, and are picking their spots to take a "few" downfield shots. Cutler has improved his decision making as well. Yes, he has been erratic, but that arm is still a top 5 arm.

If the Bears shore up that O-Line in the next few years(Kreutz replacement) Garza replacement, Solid Left Tackle, and Webb develops, Cutler will be top ten. He does not have that far to go

I think it's obvious Switz is a pretty big hater of Cutler, regardless of what the stats show.

Cutler is easily a top 10 qb. Yes the Oline had problems, yes Martz is mad sometimes, and yes Cutler tends to overcompensate with a few boneheaded decisions, but I would be hard pressed to name 9 QBs I'd rather have than him to lead the Bears.

(In no particular order off the top of my head)

Better than Cutler

Brees

Manning

Rodgers

Brady

Vick

Ryan

Rivers

Same level as Cutler

Schuab

Manning II

Rotheshamburgler

Flacco

Cassel

Did I miss anyone?

Cutler is doing a great job, as an NFL QB and as a fantasy QB, not much to really debate about it at this point. He's leading the offense, winning games, keeping the defense off the field, and putting up good stats. Ever since the Bears decided to tailor their offensive playcalling around actual personnel rostered, and stopped pretending they were the 1999 St.Louis Rams, Cutler has been one of the best QBs in the league. Only time will answer the arguments about his development and career path and whether or not Cutler is truly committed to making the necessary improvements to his game that will maximize his talents and propel him into the top 3-5 QBs in the NFL.

Right now he doesn't have the surrounding talent, hasn't finished making all of the needed personal adjustments mechanically/footwork/etc., but he's also only 27 years old, has the best arm in the NFL, just punched his first playoff ticket as leader of the 10-4 NFC North division champs, and is only in his 1st season working with Mike Martz. I will be shocked if he doesn't continue to grow and get better and better, so that we can remind the switzs of the shark pool year after year how silly it is to make a negative decision about a talented player and then be stubborn/unwilling to re-assess your opinion as the stats/data/observations fail to support your initial conclusion.

On a side note, Cutler is also the only QB to beat Matt Ryan at home in Atlanta. I know that's getting way ahead of myself and too carried away to assume the Bears will get that far, but that's the matchup I hope we get to see in the NFC Championship game, as it would be very entertaining IMO. The Bears are a team that relies upon their speed and a playoff road game down in Georgia and playing in a dome might actually be better for them than playing at home on a crappy field and in the elements.

switz said:
Ghost Rider said:
I may be wrong, but this seems like a major turn around in opinion for you.
You are wrong. It is not a major turnaround for me. It's just that you are such a harsh Cutler critic that you think that anyone who sticks up for him wants to have his first born. This is not the case. Early in '08, Cutler was playing terrific, and it looked like he was firmly on his way to becoming an annual top 10 NFL QB, but he struggled at times down the stretch in '08 (partly because he does try to do too much in general too often, and partly because he tried to do too much to make up for Denver's awful defense), and then for most of last year, too. However, in his last 16 games, he has 28 TDs and 14 INTs, which is pretty impressive when you consider that he hasn't had a consistent running game or a WR anyone would call very good or great.

gigantor said:
switz said:
Ghost Rider said:
I may be wrong, but this seems like a major turn around in opinion for you.I think it's clear that Cutler is not the type of QB that can win games for a team, carry the team on his back. Because he is a bad decision maker. However, given an exceptional defense, and a solid running game, Cutler can limit his mistakes enough to keep the team in position to win.

He's not top 5, not even top 10 as an NFL QB, and failed in Martz pass happy offense. But when Martz scaled things back, took the pressure off Cutler to win with his arm Cutler has performed decently well, and has limited the boneheaded mistakes he was previously making.
does this mean actually started running a balanced offense? Because that's when Cutler started improving. Which I am sure most QBs would. I wouldn't say Martz has scaled things back at all, he was just reminded that there's a RB position in the NFL.
Agreed. It wasn't Cutler failing in Martz's offense so much as it was Martz's play calling failing the offense. If anything, I'm surprised at how quickly Martz and Cutler have adapted to one another.

Cutler is doing a great job, as an NFL QB and as a fantasy QB, not much to really debate about it at this point. He's leading the offense, winning games, keeping the defense off the field, and putting up good stats. Ever since the Bears decided to tailor their offensive playcalling around actual personnel rostered, and stopped pretending they were the 1999 St.Louis Rams, Cutler has been one of the best QBs in the league. Only time will answer the arguments about his development and career path and whether or not Cutler is truly committed to making the necessary improvements to his game that will maximize his talents and propel him into the top 3-5 QBs in the NFL. Right now he doesn't have the surrounding talent, hasn't finished making all of the needed personal adjustments mechanically/footwork/etc., but he's also only 27 years old, has the best arm in the NFL, just punched his first playoff ticket as leader of the 10-4 NFC North division champs, and is only in his 1st season working with Mike Martz. I will be shocked if he doesn't continue to grow and get better and better, so that we can remind the switzs of the shark pool year after year how silly it is to make a negative decision about a talented player and then be stubborn/unwilling to re-assess your opinion as the stats/data/observations fail to support your initial conclusion.On a side note, Cutler is also the only QB to beat Matt Ryan at home in Atlanta. I know that's getting way ahead of myself and too carried away to assume the Bears will get that far, but that's the matchup I hope we get to see in the NFC Championship game, as it would be very entertaining IMO. The Bears are a team that relies upon their speed and a playoff road game down in Georgia and playing in a dome might actually be better for them than playing at home on a crappy field and in the elements.
Jim Miller from Sirius mentioned this same thing this morning, that Chicago could come in and give ATL a run for their money, if ATL maintains homefield advantage.

Every year the Cutler lovers have a different excuse for him.

When do you think this super talented QB will have his first winning season?
Every year Packers fans hate on Bears players....

Aaron Rodgers 84/122 68.9% 940 yards 8td/ 5INT 96.3 QB Rating

Jay Cutler 68/102 66.7% 912 yards 6td/ 3INT 102.2

Move Along...
As long as you are happy with him that is all that counts but the guy is not a winner and his college and pro records prove that. Are you saying only Packer fans can see that? I think everyone sees that except a few Bear fans.
:jawdrop:

Agreed. It wasn't Cutler failing in Martz's offense so much as it was Martz's play calling failing the offense. If anything, I'm surprised at how quickly Martz and Cutler have adapted to one another.
Seeing your quarterback almost killed on national television in record breaking series of sacks tends to focus the mind. The interesting question is whether Lovey had a come to Jesus meeting with Martz or what happened. Every game I worry that this is the game Martz says to hell with it and tries to run the offense he wants to run.

In the last month, three of the Bears games have been against teams with top 10 defenses. Here is how Cutler has fared against them:

Philadelphia (8th ranked defense): 4 TDs, 0 INTs, 247 passing yards, and a YPA of 11.76

Minnesota (3rd ranked defense): 3 TDs, 1 INT, 194 passing yards, and a YPA of 8.08

NY Jets (6th ranked defense): 3 TDs, 1 INT, 1 rushing TD, 215 passing yards, and a YPA of 8.60.

I'd say this guy is pretty good now, eh?

Ghost Rider said:
In the last month, three of the Bears games have been against teams with top 10 defenses. Here is how Cutler has fared against them:Philadelphia (8th ranked defense): 4 TDs, 0 INTs, 247 passing yards, and a YPA of 11.76Minnesota (3rd ranked defense): 3 TDs, 1 INT, 194 passing yards, and a YPA of 8.08NY Jets (6th ranked defense): 3 TDs, 1 INT, 1 rushing TD, 215 passing yards, and a YPA of 8.60.I'd say this guy is pretty good now, eh?
Phil Simms said that in watching film of the last few games he noticed that when a receiver was open and Cutler had time, he never missed the open receiver. I sure that was an exaggeration but he has been tremendous. As a Bears fan, I am actually confident in the team's quarterback play for the first time in a long time. I am sure almost everyone is waiting for the implosion so unless Cutler is near perfect for the rest of the season and post season, the views of him won't change much. So we will see I suppose.

bears should've kept grossman
FBG's allowing TOOLs and fishing trips like this guy for example....make me question why I pay to be a member here.
you pay to use the message board?part of being an adult is learning that people will have different opinions than you do
And part of being an adult means you grow up and stop being such a trolling tool. You're one of the worst on this board, Larry.

BusterTBronco said:
Okay. After much searching on the internet, I finally found the stat line (but I can hardly believe my eyes!)It reads as follows:Jay Cutler: 39 attempts, 21 completions, 168 yards passing, 6 sacks, 0 touchdowns, 2 interceptions, 43.5 passer ratingHow is this possible? That's gotta be a misprint, right? I mean, the Bears traded away two first round draft picks for this guy. It is inconceivable that he could have a game so poor.
Brian Griffin: Stewie? Stewie Griffin: Yeah? Brian Griffin: It's not your fault. Stewie Griffin: What? Brian Griffin: It's not your fault. Stewie Griffin: I know. Brian Griffin: It's not your fault. Stewie Griffin: [annoyed tone] I know. Brian Griffin: No, Stewie, Stewie. It's not your fault. Stewie Griffin: Don't do this to me, man. Not you, man. Brian Griffin: It's not your fault. Stewie Griffin: Screw you. Cut it out, man! Brian Griffin: It's not your fault. Stewie Griffin: [cries] Why is it so hard? I didn't know it was going to be so hard. :thumbdown:

BusterTBronco said:
Okay. After much searching on the internet, I finally found the stat line (but I can hardly believe my eyes!)It reads as follows:Jay Cutler: 39 attempts, 21 completions, 168 yards passing, 6 sacks, 0 touchdowns, 2 interceptions, 43.5 passer ratingHow is this possible? That's gotta be a misprint, right? I mean, the Bears traded away two first round draft picks for this guy. It is inconceivable that he could have a game so poor.
Sorry McDaniels shredded your team.

BusterTBronco said:
bears should've kept grossman
FBG's allowing TOOLs and fishing trips like this guy for example....make me question why I pay to be a member here.
My, my. SOMEONE is awfully sensitive about this subject!I missed the game. Kindly provide Cutler's stat line for the day so that we can draw our own conclusions.Thank ya!
He's not good.
Who is not good? Cutler or Grossman?Assuming you meant Cutler. You really don't like Cutler? You don't like the Bears chances in the playoffs?

The usual suspects coming out of the woodwork the second Cutler has a below average game. You can almost set your watch to it!

Users who are viewing this thread