What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about Cutler now? (current info on pg 46) (3 Viewers)

Before anyone piles on - I know this is an "Assist Coach" question.

Two weeks ago I swore I wouldn't play Cutler again, then the following week he has mediocre numbers but nice Fantasy stats in my league.

With a FF Championship at stake next week, I need big points this week, and Cutler is playing the Saints porous defense and my other option is Tom Brady, Is the Dolphins defense still at lease a little stingy?
'Man, I can't believe I started Cutler over Brady. What was I thinking?'s
Yea I'm not going to be that guy. Start Brady and take his 20 points.
Thanks fellas. As my league scores it:

Brady 23

Cutler -4

I was watching the game last night thinking how glad I am that I'm not a Bears fan.

That was such an embarrassing effort all the way around.

(I have a hot and cold relationship with Cutler)

This guy is the king of garbage time.
It's funny...he really is the King of Garbage Time.
Well, he's been getting the garbage reps for years - he should be good by now
I think this year it has been probably the worst I can remember for Cutler getting garbage time points. It seems as though he has nothing going and then he tacks on a td or two in the 4th q when they are down huge.

(I have a hot and cold relationship with Cutler)

This guy is the king of garbage time.
It's funny...he really is the King of Garbage Time.
Well, he's been getting the garbage reps for years - he should be good by now
I think this year it has been probably the worst I can remember for Cutler getting garbage time points. It seems as though he has nothing going and then he tacks on a td or two in the 4th q when they are down huge.
You call him Garbage time King, I call him Kid Clutch

BusterTBronco said:
Not a good Christmas for the kid from Santa Claus, Indiana.
I can think of 54 million reasons to disagree with this statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
So are people rolling with him next week? I survived to the championship but honestly think he runs the chance of getting benched if he throws a couple INTs early. My only other options are Eli or Tannehill. With Eli facing the Rams pass rush I'm thinking Tannehill might be the best option (tallest midget).

So are people rolling with him next week? I survived to the championship but honestly think he runs the chance of getting benched if he throws a couple INTs early. My only other options are Eli or Tannehill. With Eli facing the Rams pass rush I'm thinking Tannehill might be the best option (tallest midget).
Very similar boat I am in. Option to stick with Cutler (dance with who brung me) or go with Eli. Either one capable of big game or complete flop, IMO.

In the end, Trestman deserved better.
Chicago locals know this isn't true.

Cutler is an obviously flawed QB, but Trestman is a complete nutjob. He has no business leading men, on the football field or otherwise, and his offensive system was completely exposed this season. Last season they were second in the league in scoring, and this season they're awful, with the exact same personnel. That's not Cutler's fault - no one was complaining about his play in Chicago last season. Every time Trestman has run an offense in the NFL, his teams experienced a massive drop in performance the second season. This isn't a coincidence.

And, of course, he's a completely inept leader. He came in with a bunch of new age BS about "growing the man" and the players have not responded to it at all. The more wild players like Marshall have run completely amok. Briggs didn't show up for a preaseason game so he could open a BBQ joint in California! He has no control over this team and refuses to acknowledge how bad they are in any way. Every single week, they get the demolished on the field and he swears up and down that they had "an excellent week of practice!" His press conferences are some of the most cringey things you will ever experience from an NFL head coach, full of weak denials of the severity of their situation and nonsensical stammering. It's really pathetic.

Cutler is an obviously flawed QB, but Trestman is a complete nutjob. He has no business leading men, on the football field or otherwise, and his offensive system was completely exposed this season. Last season they were second in the league in scoring, and this season they're awful, with the exact same personnel. That's not Cutler's fault - no one was complaining about his play in Chicago last season. Every time Trestman has run an offense in the NFL, his teams experienced a massive drop in performance the second season. This isn't a coincidence.

And, of course, he's a completely inept leader. He came in with a bunch of new age BS about "growing the man" and the players have not responded to it at all. The more wild players like Marshall have run completely amok. Briggs didn't show up for a preaseason game so he could open a BBQ joint in California! He has no control over this team and refuses to acknowledge how bad they are in any way. Every single week, they get the demolished on the field and he swears up and down that they had "an excellent week of practice!" His press conferences are some of the most cringey things you will ever experience from an NFL head coach, full of weak denials of the severity of their situation and nonsensical stammering. It's really pathetic.
He sounds like a college professor, not a football coach.

He sounds like a college professor, not a football coach.
So did a lot of the great ones. I saw something on Tom Landry that said he had to dumb down his offense because it was too complex for Roger Staubach. That being said I would never accuse Mark Trestman of being a great coach.

Cutler is an obviously flawed QB, but Trestman is a complete nutjob. He has no business leading men, on the football field or otherwise, and his offensive system was completely exposed this season. Last season they were second in the league in scoring, and this season they're awful, with the exact same personnel.
Not the exact same personnel. Last year they had Josh McCown.

McCown was 3-2 in his starts last year, while Cutler was 5-6. McCown had a 9.1 AY/A last season compared to Cutler's 6.9 -- mainly because Cutler threw 12 interceptions while McCown threw only one. (Twelve interceptions last season might seem attractive when compared with his 18 so far this season. But he's got the exact same interception rate of 3.4% in both years.)

Trestman will not bench Cutler. He had the chance to keep rolling with a red hot McCown last year and instead played Cutler coming off injury who of course lost like he always does.

Where is that Super Vandy Homer who goes to the mat at all costs for Cu ntler? Curious what he has to say about all this.
Who, flap? He's on board with us now. Sweetness34 is the only holdout, and he hasn't been heard from in weeks.
No, candyvandyman or whatever. He was endless. Would pull up selective statistics time and again to prove Cutler's greatness.
Here's the guy I was talking about. In fact his last post was back in September, something about Cutler passing Theisman in some category. :lmao: And it wasn't biggest D-bag to ever take a snap.

Very similar boat I am in. Option to stick with Cutler (dance with who brung me) or go with Eli. Either one capable of big game or complete flop, IMO.
I only have cutler. Rg3 and Smith are possible ww options. FML...

Cutler is an obviously flawed QB, but Trestman is a complete nutjob. He has no business leading men, on the football field or otherwise, and his offensive system was completely exposed this season. Last season they were second in the league in scoring, and this season they're awful, with the exact same personnel.

McCown was 3-2 in his starts last year, while Cutler was 5-6. McCown had a 9.1 AY/A last season compared to Cutler's 6.9 -- mainly because Cutler threw 12 interceptions while McCown threw only one. (Twelve interceptions last season might seem attractive when compared with his 18 so far this season. But he's got the exact same interception rate of 3.4% in both years.)
I guess I'm not totally sure what your point is here, but I'll say that McCown was very fortunate in those 5 starts last year. He had many bad throws clang off the hands of defenders, and was bailed out by Jeffrey making some incredible catches (that he hasn't been making this year). I think his time in TB this year has exposed him as being someone who got pretty lucky last season and cashed in on it. There's a reason he was coaching HS football a couple years ago, just like there's a reason Trestman was out of the NFL for a decade until Emery came along. McCown isn't a better qb, but if you really think he is, that's even more damning for Trestman, because he kept putting Cutler in last year and seemed to be on board with the Cutler extension.

As for his rambling nonsense in press conferences, here's a stunning and hilarious example:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/12/04/marc-trestman-is-boers-bernsteins-2014-quote-of-the-year-winner/

I guess I'm not totally sure what your point is here, but I'll say that McCown was very fortunate in those 5 starts last year. He had many bad throws clang off the hands of defenders, and was bailed out by Jeffrey making some incredible catches (that he hasn't been making this year). I think his time in TB this year has exposed him as being someone who got pretty lucky last season and cashed in on it. There's a reason he was coaching HS football a couple years ago, just like there's a reason Trestman was out of the NFL for a decade until Emery came along. McCown isn't a better qb, but if you really think he is, that's even more damning for Trestman, because he kept putting Cutler in last year and seemed to be on board with the Cutler extension.

As for his rambling nonsense in press conferences, here's a stunning and hilarious example:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/12/04/marc-trestman-is-boers-bernsteins-2014-quote-of-the-year-winner/
:lmao:

Cutler has the potential to be a current Brady
I would like to put my foot through the internet and kick you in the balls for that.to put this in perspective, cutler has more picks than both off-the-marcus russell and derek anderson, while only 2 fewer than league leading jake delhomme, after coming in only behind pick machine brett favre last year.couple that with 7 fumbles (I believe league leader has 8).orton doesn't have a single pick all year, unless you count the hail mary.cutler currently has only 3 fewer picks in 7 games than tom brady's high for an entire season.
Jay Cutler's career interception percentage is the exact same as Brett Favre's career interception percentage and a full 2.2% lower than Terry Bradshaw's career interception percentage. Jay Cutler has as many passing yards in 3 and a half years as Terry Bradshaw had through seven years.Jay Cutler is on pace to set all-time Bears single season passing yards record and all-time Bears single season completions marks this year, his first with the club.Jay has lost one fumble this year. Peyton Manning had 23 interceptions in his fourth year in the league. Dan Marino had 23 in his fourth year. Brett Favre had more than 20 interceptions in six seasons. Terry Bradshaw had 20+ in five seasons.
Where it all started. Gold.

People on the radio in Tampa were speculating the Bucs could try to trade for him. I don't think he is tradeable with his contract.

Cutler fans are going to have the last laugh when he wins the Walter Payton Man Of The Year award

I only have cutler. Rg3 and Smith are possible ww options. FML...
same

Cutler has the potential to be a current Brady
I would like to put my foot through the internet and kick you in the balls for that.to put this in perspective, cutler has more picks than both off-the-marcus russell and derek anderson, while only 2 fewer than league leading jake delhomme, after coming in only behind pick machine brett favre last year.couple that with 7 fumbles (I believe league leader has 8).orton doesn't have a single pick all year, unless you count the hail mary.cutler currently has only 3 fewer picks in 7 games than tom brady's high for an entire season.
Jay Cutler's career interception percentage is the exact same as Brett Favre's career interception percentage and a full 2.2% lower than Terry Bradshaw's career interception percentage. Jay Cutler has as many passing yards in 3 and a half years as Terry Bradshaw had through seven years.Jay Cutler is on pace to set all-time Bears single season passing yards record and all-time Bears single season completions marks this year, his first with the club.Jay has lost one fumble this year. Peyton Manning had 23 interceptions in his fourth year in the league. Dan Marino had 23 in his fourth year. Brett Favre had more than 20 interceptions in six seasons. Terry Bradshaw had 20+ in five seasons.
Where it all started. Gold.
:goodposting: :lmao:

Espn wrote something up today as well:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12035907/why-chicago-bears-virtually-stuck-qb-jay-cutler-nfl

Not sure if you are insiders but worth a read if you are.
This is interesting.

if the Bears did release Cutler after this season, whatever salary he earned from his next team in 2015 would be subtracted from Chicago's $15.5 million commitment to him, with cap savings deferred. For example, if another team paid $5 million to Cutler in 2015, then the Bears would owe him $10.5 million, , softening the financial blow for the team. The same provision exists for the $10 million in guarantees for the 2016 season.

i think there's a chance he's gone. The benching could be a signal.

The problem, of course is that they have noone to replace him.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12035907/why-chicago-bears-virtually-stuck-qb-jay-cutler-nfl

This is interesting.

if the Bears did release Cutler after this season, whatever salary he earned from his next team in 2015 would be subtracted from Chicago's $15.5 million commitment to him, with cap savings deferred. For example, if another team paid $5 million to Cutler in 2015, then the Bears would owe him $10.5 million, , softening the financial blow for the team. The same provision exists for the $10 million in guarantees for the 2016 season.

sign clausen to a 6 yr deal

This is interesting.

I'm sure there are quite a few teams at least that would take him. Jets, Tenn, Wash, TB, Cle, Hou, SF, maybe even STL.

Why on earth would anyone want this headache? So sick of hearing about his arm talent. Great... he's got a strong arm.

He's also a turnover machine with the added bonus of being a pouting diva who looks like he couldn't possibly care less about improving his game.

Well logically it only makes sense after this that youre cleanin house, staff, Cutler, Phillips, maybe Emery, bring in a football czar to run the whole show.

But this is the Bears. They could well embarrass Cutler by benching him for a guy they KNOW isnt the future, and promptly keep Cutler for next year. Because this organization does not understand how leadership works on a fundamental level.

Users who are viewing this thread