What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yahoo Waiver Wire Rules Experts Needed ... (1 Viewer)

Binky The Doormat

Footballguy
I am going to help a buddy who is playing fantasy football for the 1st time. It's being run by some dude that runs a bar and it appears that the guy is trying to set things up to steamroll a bunch of newbies and guys that don't have time to sit in front of their computers snapping up guys waivers. I have read what I could find so far at yahoo (free league) but still don't have a good idea on how the waivers work, based on how the guy has set up the rules (see below). I follow that their is a priority list for waivers and the person that picked up someone last goes to the bottom of the list, but if there is no weekly waivers - how the hell does that work?

Can you help? I would like to help my buddy who can hardly turn his computer on and get to his email. I have the time and desire to nail this commissioner who looks to be trying to rip these guys off. BTW he has set this up for 20 teams in 1 league (yeah ...not a typo ...20 teams - I am guessing he is trying to up his winnings. These guys won't know who to draft after the 5th round - and it makes the guy that can dominate waivers a lock). What a tool.

TIA

Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports

Max Moves: No maximum

Max Acquisitions per Week: No maximum

Max Trades: No maximum

Trade Reject Time: 2

Trade End Date: November 20, 2009

Trade Review: Commissioner

Waiver Time: 2 days

Waiver Type: Continual rolling list

Weekly Waivers: None

Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules

:goodposting:

As far as I can tell those are pretty standard Yahoo settings.

What part do you think he's stacking the deck on?

Also, if your buddy has no time for fantasy football, maybe he should save his money and stay out of the league.

If there are any kind of standard rosters, 20 teams will eat up about all the talent and leave only scraps for the waiver wire, anyway.

If theses knuckleheads can't draft past the 5th round then they deserve to lose their money.

What is it, exactly, they thought they were competing for?

Last edited by a moderator:
:goodposting:As far as I can tell those are pretty standard Yahoo settings.What part do you think he's stacking the deck on?Also, if your buddy has no time for fantasy football, maybe he should save his money and stay out of the league.If there are any kind of standard rosters, 20 teams will eat up about all the talent and leave only scraps for the waiver wire, anyway.If theses knuckleheads can't draft past the 5th round then they deserve to lose their money.What is it, exactly, they thought they were competing for?
What are the implications of "Weekly Waivers" - none.What the heck the does that mean/do?

AFAIK, Yahoo offers Sunday to Tuesday and "Start of Week" to Tuesday waivers in free leagues now. Continual rolling list means that all players stay in the FA pool Monday to Sunday and are first come, first serve.

By the way, if he was really trying to stack the deck then he would've turn waivers off completely.

As it currently stands, all players left after the draft will be on waivers for a couple days --- giving everybody plenty chance to get a bid in on them.

Once this waiver period is over then the players that have been bid on will all be sorted by waiver priority.

After that initial group, any player cut will go on waivers for a couple days while everybody in the league gets a chance at him.

By the way, if he was really trying to stack the deck then he would've turn waivers off completely.As it currently stands, all players left after the draft will be on waivers for a couple days
This is not the case. Only players dropped from rosters go to waivers and remain there two days.I would want "Weekly Waivers" changed from "none" to "First game of week - Tuesday"

:shrug:As far as I can tell those are pretty standard Yahoo settings.What part do you think he's stacking the deck on?Also, if your buddy has no time for fantasy football, maybe he should save his money and stay out of the league.If there are any kind of standard rosters, 20 teams will eat up about all the talent and leave only scraps for the waiver wire, anyway.If theses knuckleheads can't draft past the 5th round then they deserve to lose their money.What is it, exactly, they thought they were competing for?
What are the implications of "Weekly Waivers" - none.What the heck the does that mean/do?
Ohhhh....I see what you're getting at.While a lot of leagues lock up all players every weekend on waivers, this one doesn't put any on waivers outside the conditions I listed above.So, yeah, when some guy gets hurt on Sunday it's first guy to his computer wins.

By the way, if he was really trying to stack the deck then he would've turn waivers off completely.As it currently stands, all players left after the draft will be on waivers for a couple days
This is not the case. Only players dropped from rosters go to waivers and remain there two days.I would want "Weekly Waivers" changed from "none" to "First game of week - Tuesday"
This is the case.You are incorrect.

According to the settings he posted, all players will go to the FA pool after the draft and stay there permanently. ONLY players dropped from rosters will go to waivers for two days, then to the FA pool. Look it up.

According to the settings he posted, all players will go to the FA pool after the draft and stay there permanently. ONLY players dropped from rosters will go to waivers for two days, then to the FA pool. Look it up.
Dude, can you read this right here, or should I make the font bigger?Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports

I did miss that, my apologies.

More to OP's concern though, a league that doesn't lock the FA pool while games are being played each week is a far bigger issue than the two days immediately following the draft.

Dude, can you read this right here, or should I make the font bigger?Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports

I think I am following this discussion, but not sure ...so, if there is no weekly waivers how do you follow the waiver rules? Do they all start as FAs? Or do they all start in the waiver rule bucket and you have to wait until after they clear 2 days after the Monday night game to know you picked them up? Also - would an interpretation of this set up allow anyone to pick up a player after the draft (e.g. before the games begin). The draft is Aug. 28.

I did miss that, my apologies.More to OP's concern though, a league that doesn't lock the FA pool while games are being played each week is a far bigger issue than the two days immediately following the draft.
Another follow-up question on this point: So the waivers implication only applies the first time? And players can be picked up during/after games with no waiting period from then on?

Post-draft, all players hit the waiver wire for 2 days. After this, there is no restriction on adding.

After a player is dropped, he remains on waiver for 2 days. After this, there is no restriction on adding.

Without the restriction on game day pickups, managers who don't spend all Sunday waiting by a computer for injuries are at a disadvantage.

A couple unusual circumstance that I've seen:

1) If a player is picked up and dropped on the same day, they will not hit the waiver wire.

2) You can not pick up a player on Monday to play in the Monday night game.

Binky The Doormat said:
I think I am following this discussion, but not sure ...so, if there is no weekly waivers how do you follow the waiver rules? Do they all start as FAs? Or do they all start in the waiver rule bucket and you have to wait until after they clear 2 days after the Monday night game to know you picked them up? Also - would an interpretation of this set up allow anyone to pick up a player after the draft (e.g. before the games begin). The draft is Aug. 28.
No -- don't pay any attention to that other guy.He's just making stuff up.

edit: The 'follow waiver rules' part means that they spend 2 days on waivers.

Spending 2 days on waivers are the 'waiver rules', along with 'continual rolling list' for priority.

They start on waivers.

Go on waivers when cut.

Are not on waivers over the weekend.

That's it.

Binky The Doormat said:
habsfan said:
I did miss that, my apologies.More to OP's concern though, a league that doesn't lock the FA pool while games are being played each week is a far bigger issue than the two days immediately following the draft.
Another follow-up question on this point: So the waivers implication only applies the first time? And players can be picked up during/after games with no waiting period from then on?
My main money league has been run on Yahoo the past couple years this way:If a player is picked up and dropped on the same day, he does not go to waivers.FA pool is not ever locked, so you can snare backups immediately if a guy gets hurt.You can get a player for the Monday night game only by dropping another guy who hasn't played yet. This means other guys in the MNF game or players on bye that week. Otherwise, if a player's team has started their game, that player is locked into his spot (starter or bench) for the week. If you drop a bench guy, the new pickup does not affect that week's roster for purposes of scoring.

Binky The Doormat said:
habsfan said:

More to OP's concern though, a league that doesn't lock the FA pool while games are being played each week is a far bigger issue than the two days immediately following the draft.
My main money league has been run on Yahoo the past couple years this way:If a player is picked up and dropped on the same day, he does not go to waivers.

FA pool is not ever locked, so you can snare backups immediately if a guy gets hurt.

You can get a player for the Monday night game only by dropping another guy who hasn't played yet. This means other guys in the MNF game or players on bye that week. Otherwise, if a player's team has started their game, that player is locked into his spot (starter or bench) for the week. If you drop a bench guy, the new pickup does not affect that week's roster for purposes of scoring.
I was under the impression that bench was split out from starters in that regard.Once a guy actually plays for you (starter), then he's locked in, but as long as bench don't play for you, whether they play for their team or not, you can cut and add a MNF guy provided it's done by Sunday midnight Pacific.

But I could be wrong on that.

So, the key being that you would either have to have an empty starting spot to fill, or a MNF starter to swap out.

Binky The Doormat said:
habsfan said:

My main money league has been run on Yahoo the past couple years this way:If a player is picked up and dropped on the same day, he does not go to waivers.

FA pool is not ever locked, so you can snare backups immediately if a guy gets hurt.

You can get a player for the Monday night game only by dropping another guy who hasn't played yet. This means other guys in the MNF game or players on bye that week. Otherwise, if a player's team has started their game, that player is locked into his spot (starter or bench) for the week. If you drop a bench guy, the new pickup does not affect that week's roster for purposes of scoring.
I was under the impression that bench was split out from starters in that regard.Once a guy actually plays for you (starter), then he's locked in, but as long as bench don't play for you, whether they play for their team or not, you can cut and add a MNF guy provided it's done by Sunday midnight Pacific.

But I could be wrong on that.

So, the key being that you would either have to have an empty starting spot to fill, or a MNF starter to swap out.
I don't know if what I said is because of some obscure league setting I didn't notice or if it is Yahoo's standard, I just know that is they way it has worked for at least the past 3 years, and probably all the way back to when we started using Yahoo (7 or so years ago I believe)

Binky The Doormat said:

This year Yahoo allows you to set a couple of Waiver options, including basically locking all rosters from Sunday AM til Tuesday midnight. This was NOT selected above. This is a First-Come, First-Served setup...major disadvantage for your PC-lite friend.

The only thing this Waiver Time affects is how long a player remains on Waivers after being dropped.

I was under the impression that bench was split out from starters in that regard.Once a guy actually plays for you (starter), then he's locked in, but as long as bench don't play for you, whether they play for their team or not, you can cut and add a MNF guy provided it's done by Sunday midnight Pacific.But I could be wrong on that.So, the key being that you would either have to have an empty starting spot to fill, or a MNF starter to swap out.
Nope, that's right. You can drop a player you have not played on your roster that week, regardless of if they are active in a late or Monday game.

This year Yahoo allows you to set a couple of Waiver options, including basically locking all rosters from Sunday AM til Tuesday midnight. This was NOT selected above. This is a First-Come, First-Served setup...major disadvantage for your PC-lite friend.

Thanks man. So - when I pick someone up, I still go the the "bottom" of the list ...BUT that makes no difference since there will be no ties to break since there is no hold time between Sunday AM and Tuesday midnight ...right?

The only thing this Waiver Time affects is how long a player remains on Waivers after being dropped.

Your waiver order makes a difference because throughout the season there will be players being cut who will end up on waivers.

I appreciate you trying to look out for your friend, but if you're that worried about it the best move may be just not to play. Even if your friend fields a great team, it sounds like its a two-horse race between your buddy and the other guy, and with 18 other teams flailing about anything could happen. I'd guess the other 18 guys would just as soon think that your friend is taking advantage of the league as much as the other guy is.

Users who are viewing this thread