Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joe Bryant

Smoky Mountain Dew Chicken

12 posts in this topic

Pics of a new recipe I tried yesterday. Smoky Mountain Dew Chicken. Basically a spun up version of Beer Can Chicken.

Have to say, I really like the way the chicken cooks like this. Use to use a big aluminum turkey roasting pan and put 3 chickens in each pan. But this way on the can, it really cooks a lot more evenly. Like it a lot.

J

Why Mt Dew? I've done Coke & Dr Pepper, they caramelize well, wouldn't have thought of Dew.

Picture doesn't load for me. :lmao:

Looks good. Sounds pretty sweet, but I'd guess the smokin takes the edge off that a little?

Why Mt Dew? I've done Coke & Dr Pepper, they caramelize well, wouldn't have thought of Dew.

Hi Philo,I thought Mountain Dew because I normally add some sort of citrus fruit to the inside of the chicken. Sometimes lemon or orange. With Mountain Dew being sort of lemon / lime, thought it would work. And it's kind of fun. It has about the same amount of sugar I think as Coke or Dr. Pepper so the carmelization is about the same I'd think.J

Pics of a new recipe I tried yesterday. Smoky Mountain Dew Chicken. Basically a spun up version of Beer Can Chicken.

Have to say, I really like the way the chicken cooks like this. Use to use a big aluminum turkey roasting pan and put 3 chickens in each pan. But this way on the can, it really cooks a lot more evenly. Like it a lot.

J

Would that work doing one chicken in a grill on a beer can stand? Wouldn't need to be in a smoker.

The citric acid in Mountain Dew helps tenderize the meat (as do the acids in Coke & Dr. Pepper).

My father-in-law uses Sunkist (or store-brand orange soda) in a similar fashion before smoking turkeys. No pacake syrup, though.

EDIT: forgot to mention that the sugar in MD will still caramelize like Coke/Dr Pepper, but Joe covered it.

J

Would that work doing one chicken in a grill on a beer can stand? Wouldn't need to be in a smoker.
Sure. I think it would work on a grill just fine. Sometimes I know though that clearance is a problem as the chicken sits up pretty high upright like that.

J

How did i miss this. And i'm cooking beer can tonight. Oh well....adding this to my fbg chef blog.

I am now starving.