What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Obama open to sin tax on soda (1 Viewer)

Parrothead said:
Juxtatarot said:
I'm a big fan of a junk food tax -- particularly if it's massive. Doubling existing prices in taxes sounds about right. Junk food needs to be treated like a luxury and consumed only in moderation instead of being treated like a quick, cheap and easy staple. Obesity and poor nutrition cause obvious financial burdens on the rest of society. No doubt we could also use the tax revenue.

Why people can support state run lotteries and cigarette and alcohol taxes yet not support this is beyond me.
so then you would be willing to cut prices of healthy food in half, right?
Not a good analogy. The better analogy is that should we eliminate all taxes on healthy food. I do not believe that any such taxes currently exist, but would be more than willing to remove any such taxes.The government is not making junk food illegal, rather it is taxing it, purportedly to offset the increased health care cost associated with consuming the junk food. Makes perfect sense to me.

Sure, that is a part of it but you have whole states that even if they do not have a corn farm see their livelihood tied to the health of the corn farms. If you threaten the corn farms then you threaten them and they will vote you out. It is worth to note that one of the biggest corn farming states is Iowa. Iowa obviously has an important place in national politics.
Way to important. And if you got everyone just one time to do the right thing and vote out all farm subsidies you'd have the political cover to do it. But that will never happen so instead all of us will suffer so the ADMs, who are the real winners, don't.
Sure. But you will always have some politician looking to be the friend of the corn farmer and most of them too scared to do the right thing. It is much easier to ignore it and then propose a tax on the cheap stuff that is made cheap from government subsidies. :bye:

Gov. Paterson's proposal to tax soda in New York fizzled, but President Obama believes it may be time to pop a similar sin tax on the nation.

The President, in an interview with Men's Health magazine released yesterday, said he thought taxing soda and other sugary drinks is worth putting on the table as Congress debates health care reform.

"It's an idea that we should be exploring," the president said. "There's no doubt that our kids drink way too much soda. And every study that's been done about obesity shows that there is as high a correlation between increased soda consumption and obesity as just about anything else."

Obama is floating the idea seven months after a storm of protest forced poll-challenged Gov. Paterson to drop his plans for an 18% tax on soda and other sugary drinks.

Despite that debacle, congressional lawmakers have considered soda taxes as one way to cover the cost of revamping the nation's health care system, estimated to eat up much as $1 trillion over the next decade.

But Obama - who works out six days a week and keeps a bowl of apples in the Oval Office - has been largely mum on the controversial topic, at least until now.

As in Paterson's case, Obama's comments drew the immediate wrath of industry and consumer-choice groups yesterday.

"The tax code should not be used as a method for social engineering, and that's what this is," said J. Justin Wilson, the senior research analyst for the Center for Consumer Choice, a group funded in part by the food and beverage industry. "It smacks of the regulation that government imposed on tobacco, but soda is not tobacco."

Obama acknowledged that the idea could lead to charges that Uncle Sam is trying to dictate personal diets, but he hinted the trade-off may be worth it.

"Look, people's attitude is that they don't necessarily want Big Brother telling them what to eat or drink, and I understand that," Obama said.

"It is true, though, that if you wanted to make a big impact on people's health in this country, reducing things like soda consumption would be helpful."
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2...or_thought.htmlI could be wrong but this MIGHT just affect those making under 250k a year.

:bye:
But that is, in fact, Big Brother dictating to people what they can and cannot eat. What stops them from targeting ice cream or maple syrup next? What about candy, butter, or donuts? A chocolate cake tax? How about a red meat tax? What stops Uncle Sam from putting a tax on anything and everything that is not an organic vegetable? I can come up with an excuse to tax anything and everything. Orange juice should be taxed because clearing those groves results in mass deforestation. Coffee should be taxed due to its high caffeine levels that make it a practical stimulant.

Where does it end?

This reminds me of the Republicans great work on health care reform and fast food during their recent 8 year run. The crowning achievement being the "Freedom Fries" menu change on capitol hill.

Parrothead said:
Juxtatarot said:
I'm a big fan of a junk food tax -- particularly if it's massive. Doubling existing prices in taxes sounds about right. Junk food needs to be treated like a luxury and consumed only in moderation instead of being treated like a quick, cheap and easy staple. Obesity and poor nutrition cause obvious financial burdens on the rest of society. No doubt we could also use the tax revenue.

Why people can support state run lotteries and cigarette and alcohol taxes yet not support this is beyond me.
so then you would be willing to cut prices of healthy food in half, right?
Not a good analogy. The better analogy is that should we eliminate all taxes on healthy food. I do not believe that any such taxes currently exist, but would be more than willing to remove any such taxes.The government is not making junk food illegal, rather it is taxing it, purportedly to offset the increased health care cost associated with consuming the junk food. Makes perfect sense to me.
The primary tax on foods, as far as the consumer is concerned, are the artificially high prices that subsidies cause when they distort the market.

This reminds me of the Republicans great work on health care reform and fast food during their recent 8 year run. The crowning achievement being the "Freedom Fries" menu change on capitol hill.
Really? This is what it reminds you of?

Gov. Paterson's proposal to tax soda in New York fizzled, but President Obama believes it may be time to pop a similar sin tax on the nation.

The President, in an interview with Men's Health magazine released yesterday, said he thought taxing soda and other sugary drinks is worth putting on the table as Congress debates health care reform.

"It's an idea that we should be exploring," the president said. "There's no doubt that our kids drink way too much soda. And every study that's been done about obesity shows that there is as high a correlation between increased soda consumption and obesity as just about anything else."

Obama is floating the idea seven months after a storm of protest forced poll-challenged Gov. Paterson to drop his plans for an 18% tax on soda and other sugary drinks.

Despite that debacle, congressional lawmakers have considered soda taxes as one way to cover the cost of revamping the nation's health care system, estimated to eat up much as $1 trillion over the next decade.

But Obama - who works out six days a week and keeps a bowl of apples in the Oval Office - has been largely mum on the controversial topic, at least until now.

As in Paterson's case, Obama's comments drew the immediate wrath of industry and consumer-choice groups yesterday.

"The tax code should not be used as a method for social engineering, and that's what this is," said J. Justin Wilson, the senior research analyst for the Center for Consumer Choice, a group funded in part by the food and beverage industry. "It smacks of the regulation that government imposed on tobacco, but soda is not tobacco."

Obama acknowledged that the idea could lead to charges that Uncle Sam is trying to dictate personal diets, but he hinted the trade-off may be worth it.

"Look, people's attitude is that they don't necessarily want Big Brother telling them what to eat or drink, and I understand that," Obama said.

"It is true, though, that if you wanted to make a big impact on people's health in this country, reducing things like soda consumption would be helpful."
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2...or_thought.htmlI could be wrong but this MIGHT just affect those making under 250k a year.

:confused:
But that is, in fact, Big Brother dictating to people what they can and cannot eat. What stops them from targeting ice cream or maple syrup next? What about candy, butter, or donuts? A chocolate cake tax? How about a red meat tax? What stops Uncle Sam from putting a tax on anything and everything that is not an organic vegetable? I can come up with an excuse to tax anything and everything. Orange juice should be taxed because clearing those groves results in mass deforestation. Coffee should be taxed due to its high caffeine levels that make it a practical stimulant.

Where does it end?
I've got news for you- Big Brother already does decide what you eat. The litany of requirements and restrictions in the FDA and USDA regulations would make your head swim, and the government already taxes some things and subsidizes others as a matter of policy.Where does it end? Thankfully, it ends where we decide it should end and convey that sentiment to our elected officials through direct contact, polling, the media and the ballot box. And from what I can tell, that's where this will end, because most of us on both sides of the aisle- myself included- don't like this tax. If the public is even 60/40 on something I can promise you it will go nowhere.

I've noticed that a lot of people here get prematurely hysterical about politicians putting stuff on the table. I guess it's cool that people are so on guard, but at the same time it's bizarre to watch people get so worked up over the simple suggestion of an exchange of ideas. Discussing anything and everything is almost always a good idea- it doesn't mean that a cola tax is anywhere near reality now or any time in the foreseeable future.

I wonder if you have ever read anything that you did not have a thought about how crappy Republicans are and how wonderful Democrats are.

I wonder if you have ever read anything that you did not have a thought about how crappy Republicans are and how wonderful Democrats are.
Please don't mistake my dislike for what the Republican party has become for an endorsement of all things Democrat. I'm a liberal first and only a democrat because they're light years ahead of Republicans on 95% of the issues right now. Once Republicans have a make over and end their marriage to the deep south south on social issues, I may well switch parties.

Please don't mistake my dislike for what the Republican party has become for an endorsement of all things Democrat. I'm a liberal first and only a democrat because they're light years ahead of Republicans on 95% of the issues right now. Once Republicans have a make over and end their marriage to the deep south south on social issues, I may well switch parties.
:shock: Oh... so you might switch parties if the Republican party completely changes on 95% of the issues and becomes a liberal party.

:rolleyes:

:cry:

:lmao:

Do polls agree with you that the Democrats are right on the issues? From stimulus package, to the takeover of the auto industry to healthcare, I don't think polling is on your side.

Do polls agree with you that the Democrats are right on the issues? From stimulus package, to the takeover of the auto industry to healthcare, I don't think polling is on your side.
Actually voters don't know what they want. I posted a poll from august 5th that shows over 60% of Americans want a public option but they only want it if the GOP goes along and it doesn't cost anything. Oh and if it doesn't come with a requirement to actually have insurance. These things can't or won't happen and so they are mad. The average voter is woefully uninformed and too easily swayed by soundbites.

:goodposting: Oh... so you might switch parties if the Republican party completely changes on 95% of the issues and becomes a liberal party.

:cry:

Keep laughing. What are the biggest issues of the past 6-8 years, and where do both parties stand? I'd argue that it's foreign policy and health care. Conservatives didn't hesitate to fork over a trillion dollars to invade a country halfway around the globe that it turns out was absolutely no threat to our security whatsoever. But try to spend a trillion dollars on health care in order to bring our country out of the dark ages and in line with the rest of the industrialized world and we're told that it will bankrupt the nation.Is that sound policy? I understand there are differences in philosophy and outlook, but these two approaches provide a clear distinction between the parties right now.

Can someone explain to me the sanity in subsidizing corn farmers to the point that it makes high fructose corn syrup extremely cheap to the point that most everyone uses it in their products and usually these are the same 'unhealthy' foods and drinks (like soda) and then turning around and taxing it because too many people use too much of it because it is too cheap?
Follow the money.
Follow the votes. (both parties)
Yeah the votes are gotten because ADM spends the money to get them. It's all about the money.
If only the govt didn't have as much money to throw around...

Can someone explain to me the sanity in subsidizing corn farmers to the point that it makes high fructose corn syrup extremely cheap to the point that most everyone uses it in their products and usually these are the same 'unhealthy' foods and drinks (like soda) and then turning around and taxing it because too many people use too much of it because it is too cheap?
Follow the money.
Yeah the votes are gotten because ADM spends the money to get them. It's all about the money.
ADM = the Government?Actually, maybe so. Although that doesn't explain all the price-fixing investigations.

Follow the money.
If only we would scrap the current tax code and stop allowing politicians to use it for their own personal fund raising efforts. Fair Tax is the answer to that.

What about diet soda?J
The study of more than 600 normal-weight people found, eight years later, that they were 65 percent more likely to be overweight if they drank one diet soda a day than if they drank none. And if they drank two or more diet sodas a day, they were even more likely to become overweight or obese.
That's from the University of Texas. So for me I don't find diet sodas that much better.My own personal experience. I used to run a flight line snack bar. It's one of those duties you get "volunteered" for and every unit has to supply people for a month at a time. Anyway we used to have these guys come in that were on the weight program and they would order a large chili cheese dog, a large bag of chips, an ice cream sandwich and a diet Coke. So I think diet drinks just give a false sense of doing something and lead people to other bad choices they think they are mitigating.
Was that because of the diet soda or because they thought they could have that extra snickers bar since they were drinking diet soda?

What about diet soda?J
The study of more than 600 normal-weight people found, eight years later, that they were 65 percent more likely to be overweight if they drank one diet soda a day than if they drank none. And if they drank two or more diet sodas a day, they were even more likely to become overweight or obese.
That's from the University of Texas. So for me I don't find diet sodas that much better.My own personal experience. I used to run a flight line snack bar. It's one of those duties you get "volunteered" for and every unit has to supply people for a month at a time. Anyway we used to have these guys come in that were on the weight program and they would order a large chili cheese dog, a large bag of chips, an ice cream sandwich and a diet Coke. So I think diet drinks just give a false sense of doing something and lead people to other bad choices they think they are mitigating.
Was that because of the diet soda or because they thought they could have that extra snickers bar since they were drinking diet soda?
A bit of both. Diet sodas help make you fat and fat people who drink them think they can eat more crap because they are.

Keep laughing. What are the biggest issues of the past 6-8 years, and where do both parties stand? I'd argue that it's foreign policy and health care. Conservatives didn't hesitate to fork over a trillion dollars to invade a country halfway around the globe that it turns out was absolutely no threat to our security whatsoever. But try to spend a trillion dollars on health care in order to bring our country out of the dark ages and in line with the rest of the industrialized world and we're told that it will bankrupt the nation.Is that sound policy? I understand there are differences in philosophy and outlook, but these two approaches provide a clear distinction between the parties right now.
I will keep laughing because your whole schtick of 'if the Republicans changed in 95% of the issues and turned into a liberal party, then I might just switch' is just classic. I mean pure classic schtick!

What about diet soda?J
A bit of both. Diet sodas help make you fat and fat people who drink them think they can eat more crap because they are.
Diet soda tastes better.

:whistle:

Where does it end?
I've got news for you- Big Brother already does decide what you eat. The litany of requirements and restrictions in the FDA and USDA regulations would make your head swim, and the government already taxes some things and subsidizes others as a matter of policy.Where does it end? Thankfully, it ends where we decide it should end and convey that sentiment to our elected officials through direct contact, polling, the media and the ballot box. And from what I can tell, that's where this will end, because most of us on both sides of the aisle- myself included- don't like this tax. If the public is even 60/40 on something I can promise you it will go nowhere.

I've noticed that a lot of people here get prematurely hysterical about politicians putting stuff on the table. I guess it's cool that people are so on guard, but at the same time it's bizarre to watch people get so worked up over the simple suggestion of an exchange of ideas. Discussing anything and everything is almost always a good idea- it doesn't mean that a cola tax is anywhere near reality now or any time in the foreseeable future.
What specific foods have a consumption/sin tax attached to them today?

Times editorial relevant to the discussion by Saints-Man, NCC, and MT on the Farm Bill:

Michael Pollan: Big Food vs. Big Insurance

He makes the argument that with the impending health care reform, we may see health insurers politically aligning against agribusiness and the federal subsidies that contribute to the high levels of obesity-related diseases in this country.

Googling reveals that a can of Coke has about ten teaspoons of sugar, so the tax on a single can would be ten cents if this were to pass. This tax seems like it would be difficult to administer, because every beverage could be taxed a different amount.

Stupid, unnecessary, selective tax and just another example of a liberal politician doing something just to say they did something that will have little to no impact on the overall rates of obesity in this country.

If you could show that the primary reason people are overweight is soda, then I am fine with this. But you can't. People are overweight and contract Type 2 Diabetes for many reasons to include eating too much chocolate or other candy (are we going to tax those next?) or perhaps they eat too much fried chicken and other fried foods (again tax that too?) Ice cream sandwiches and other deserts are fattening by themselves (so those must be taxed as well, right). What about maple syrup or honey?. The list goes on with items that, if consumed to extremes, would lead to obesity. Where do you stop??

People also get type 2 from living a sedentary lifestyle--are we going to mandate the government now institute weight control programs for all people? BMI check stations? How much control over our daily lives do we cede to the government in the name of them "just doing this for your own good?"

This isn't like a tobacco tax, which 100% impacted people that chose to smoke. This is a money grab and punishes all people--a lot of whom do not have a weight problem, by having them pay more at the register for a product based on another person's misuse of it.

And don't give me well, you already pay now by higher insurance rates due to obese people. A soda tax will not change these rates.The obese will still be obese due to other reasons and you and I will be paying more whenever we want to have a party and buy a few cases of soda.

This isn't like a tobacco tax, which 100% impacted people that chose to smoke. This is a money grab and punishes all people--a lot of whom do not have a weight problem, by having them pay more at the register for a product based on another person's misuse of it.
:confused: This would only impact people that choose to buy sugary drinks. I'm not seeing the distinction you're trying to draw here.

Last edited by a moderator:
:confused: This would only impact people that choose to buy sugary drinks. I'm not seeing the distinction you're trying to draw here.
It's not going to impact anybody because it's a liberal pipe dream.

People are overweight and contract Type 2 Diabetes for many reasons to include eating too much chocolate or other candy (are we going to tax those next?) or perhaps they eat too much fried chicken and other fried foods (again tax that too?) Ice cream sandwiches and other deserts are fattening by themselves (so those must be taxed as well, right).
I'd favor getting rid of the subsidies for all of those things.

What about maple syrup or honey?.
Real maple syrup and real honey are kind of awesome. And they're completely unsubsidized as far as I know.

People also get type 2 from living a sedentary lifestyle--are we going to mandate the government now institute weight control programs for all people?
It might not be a terrible idea to have the government siphon some of its current anti-drug ad campaign money to do some pro-exercise campaigns.

I think we can agree that people that buy tobacco are smokers. I mean I don't think 80% of the population buys tobacco--the number is closer to 15%. But I can guarantee probably 80% of the population at some point in time, buys a sugary beverage for themselves or for a party. I have been a type one diabetic for 38 years--I don't/can't drink sugary drinks, but for a birthday party this weekend, I needed to buy soda for the designated drivers, chasers for drinks, a few root beers for the kids for root beer floats, etc..

We have to assume in theory this tax is meant as a deterrent so people drink less sugary soda. However, understanding I am not a regular consumer of this type of product, why should I pay more for this? My use of this item is for regular use and not under the category of abuse which is the sole intent of what this tax is addressing. Under my circumstances, it becomes a selective tax to generate money without any beneficial to society whatsoever and therefore a punitive tax.

I think we can agree that people that buy tobacco are smokers. I mean I don't think 80% of the population buys tobacco--the number is closer to 15%. But I can guarantee probably 80% of the population at some point in time, buys a sugary beverage for themselves or for a party. I have been a type one diabetic for 38 years--I don't/can't drink sugary drinks, but for a birthday party this weekend, I needed to buy soda for the designated drivers, chasers for drinks, a few root beers for the kids for root beer floats, etc..

We have to assume in theory this tax is meant as a deterrent so people drink less sugary soda. However, understanding I am not a regular consumer of this type of product, why should I pay more for this? My use of this item is for regular use and not under the category of abuse which is the sole intent of what this tax is addressing. Under my circumstances, it becomes a selective tax to generate money without any beneficial to society whatsoever and therefore a punitive tax.
I agree that a greater percentage of the population buys soda than tobacco. I don't see why that matters. Both taxes are designed with the purpose of discouraging people from using those products. Whether 15% or 80% of people buy them seems irrelevant.

And the tax you pay correlates with the amount that you consume. People who only buy cigarettes infrequently aren't paying all that much in tobacco tax. Same with people who rarely purchase sugary drinks (if this bill actually became law).

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think the corn syrup and artificial sweetener juggernauts will let something like this pass easily. Personally I have no problem with it because I almost never drink this garbage and it would be good for everyone to stop because it is one of the worst things you can put in your body that isnt a narcotic.

Although I hope it doesnt apply to soda that contains real sugar and natural ingredients rather than the toxic waste that is in most, because many people are going to drink soda anyway so hopefully they at least drink the ones that arent polluting your body with chemicals in addition to the empty calories.

I just think the push needs to be education and not taxation at this point. I mean, my kids hardly ever touch soda--they drink water. Soda isn't available in their schools in the vending machines--but high sugar juices are which is weird. I would be all for warning labels on cans. I think continued dietary education in schools is important. Programs like the NFL-Play60 is great. There needs to more like it.

It is a fun debate--but there is no way in hell this goes anywhere. The Dems themselves will kill this thing after all the criticism they have taken over the passing of the ACA and "Big Government's" perceived forced involvement in everyone's life.

One Cinnabon has 55 grams of sugar. That is nearly 20 grams more than is in a can of Coke. This is so arbitrary it isn't even funny. Plus childhood obesity rates are already on the decline in this country:

Federal health authorities on Tuesday reported a 43 percent drop in the obesity rate among 2- to 5-year-old children over the past decade
No tax needed. Education is almost always a better option than taxation in these instances.

One Cinnabon has 55 grams of sugar. That is nearly 20 grams more than is in a can of Coke. This is so arbitrary it isn't even funny. Plus childhood obesity rates are already on the decline in this country:

Federal health authorities on Tuesday reported a 43 percent drop in the obesity rate among 2- to 5-year-old children over the past decade
No tax needed. Education is almost always a better option than taxation in these instances.
Although I agree with your conclusion, not sure about the example you chose. Nobody eats 4 or 5 Cinnabons a day without thinking twice about it.

Although I agree with your conclusion, not sure about the example you chose. Nobody eats 4 or 5 Cinnabons a day without thinking twice about it.
I know people that have just one coke a day with a meal. I was just pointing out how arbitrary it is to single out soda.

The overall obesity rate hasn't really declined, just the rate for 2-5 year olds. And that rate is still at 8%. We haven't solved the problem yet. Education is great but taxes can also be part of the solution. The reduction in tobacco use in this country is likely due to multiple factors including taxes.

I know people that have just one coke a day with a meal. I was just pointing out how arbitrary it is to single out soda.
Yes but I also know people that down a couple 20 ounce cokes a day and don't really think they're taking in obscene amounts of calories and sugar. Nobody takes down 4 cinnabons a day and harbors any illusions about what they'd doing to themselves.

Like I said I agree that education is the way to go and I don't like the idea, mostly because I think disproportionately taxing the poor negates any good that might come of it. But it's not really arbitrary. People's soda-drinking habits and awareness are different from their cinnabon-eating habits and awareness.

Users who are viewing this thread