What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John McCain (1 Viewer)

Statorama

gangster
Just an FYI for those that were afraid McCain would croak and leave the Presidency in the (capable) hands of Sarah Palin, he's still alive.

If you voted for Obama for this reason, shame on you. You put some kind of imaginary "dead pool" ahead of the welfare of this country.

Would McCain have had his warts as a President? Sure. But nothing like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
You really can't argue againt the impeccable logic that the pressures of the Presidency would have no greater impact on the health of a 70-plus year old man than McCain's present gig, which for all I can tell is appearing on Sunday morning talk shows.

Just an FYI for those that were afraid McCain would croak and leave the Presidency in the (capable) hands of Sarah Palin, he's still alive.

If you voted for Obama for this reason, shame on you. You put some kind of imaginary "dead pool" ahead of the welfare of this country.

Would McCain have had his warts as a President? Sure. But nothing like this.
So if he passes away in the next four years will you admit here that it was in fact a legitimate concern and commend voters for their foresight on this issue? :mellow:

Serious jinx here.

While we're at it . . . . I just heard Megan Fox & Denise Milani will pose nude together.

Senator McCain is much more palatable than Candidate McCain ever was. Senator McCain is fairly laid back in his speaking, mannerisms, etc. As someone pointed out he's comfortable on the talk show circuit and could have leveraged that in the campaign. Instead, Candidate McCain was the crazy old guy with the whole "my friends" shtick and of course deciding on Palin as his VP choice which has been :shock: around here.

Before the campaign, I was a McCain fan. His more moderate views and willingness to work across the aisle gave me pause to think that he could be a good candidate. But then he ran way to the right, got Palin on board, "suspended" his campaign to deal with the financial crisis. Bottom line, it was a poor strategy to try and solidify "the base" instead of reaching out to independent voters, which regular Senator McCain is actually good at. They handed the election to Obama.

But fast forward to today, it's the republicans that have no policy or direction other than to vehemently and wildly denounce any and every speech, policy or decision coming from the White House or Congress (see Jim11). It's a ####### drag on this country for the republican "leadership" to simply denounce, denounce, denounce hoping the negativity starts to resonate with more Americans and they take it out on the incumbents (see the woman in Colorado crying about the Obama speech to schoolchildren). Obama was foolish to think that republicans would be open to any bi-partisanship on even one policy, because they know it has to be their strategy to never compromise. The republican party is a joke right now, devoid of any ideas or leadership of their own. It's too bad because it's the country that suffers as a result.

I'd just like to add that not only is McCain still alive, but had he been elected, the biggest fear associated with presidency would have apparently been allayed by now. The evidence suggest that Palin very obviously would have quit as VP some time ago.

Senator McCain is much more palatable than Candidate McCain ever was. Senator McCain is fairly laid back in his speaking, mannerisms, etc. As someone pointed out he's comfortable on the talk show circuit and could have leveraged that in the campaign. Instead, Candidate McCain was the crazy old guy with the whole "my friends" shtick and of course deciding on Palin as his VP choice which has been :deadhorse: around here.

Before the campaign, I was a McCain fan. His more moderate views and willingness to work across the aisle gave me pause to think that he could be a good candidate. But then he ran way to the right, got Palin on board, "suspended" his campaign to deal with the financial crisis. Bottom line, it was a poor strategy to try and solidify "the base" instead of reaching out to independent voters, which regular Senator McCain is actually good at. They handed the election to Obama.

But fast forward to today, it's the republicans that have no policy or direction other than to vehemently and wildly denounce any and every speech, policy or decision coming from the White House or Congress (see Jim11). It's a ####### drag on this country for the republican "leadership" to simply denounce, denounce, denounce hoping the negativity starts to resonate with more Americans and they take it out on the incumbents (see the woman in Colorado crying about the Obama speech to schoolchildren). Obama was foolish to think that republicans would be open to any bi-partisanship on even one policy, because they know it has to be their strategy to never compromise. The republican party is a joke right now, devoid of any ideas or leadership of their own. It's too bad because it's the country that suffers as a result.
:lmao: :lol: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:

You literally could take this post, replace "Republican" with "Democrat" and "Bush" with "Obama" and it would have matched up perfectly with scores of posts from early 2005. I can never get over how short our memories are.

You literally could take this post, replace "Republican" with "Democrat" and "Bush" with "Obama" and it would have matched up perfectly with scores of posts from early 2005. I can never get over how short our memories are.
Agreed. Of course in context Democrats were arguing against Iraq in '05, while Republicans are arguing against Obama giving a speech to encourage personal responsibility and study habits.

Agreed. Of course in context Democrats were arguing against Iraq in '05, while Republicans are arguing against Obama giving a speech to encourage personal responsibility and study habits.
I'm pretty sure Democrats didn't walk arm-in-arm with Bush on every issue except Iraq, and I'm also pretty sure Republicans aren't giving Obama a helping hand on substantive issues (health care, cap and trade, the stimulus bill, etc). It's sort of funny that some of our resident Dems are just now realizing that the minority party doesn't tend to just roll over for the majority.

The only way it would "match" up perfectly is if you consider opposing a war, or opposing the so-called social security "reform" that was floated in early 2005 with the opposition to a Presidential address to school children. Some of us don't. Sure, there are people to go way overboard on issues on both side. But that doesn't mean the underlying issues that are motivating them are equivalent.

The only way it would "match" up perfectly is if you consider opposing a war, or opposing the so-called social security "reform" that was floated in early 2005 with the opposition to a Presidential address to school children. Some of us don't. Sure, there are people to go way overboard on issues on both side. But that doesn't mean the underlying issues that are motivating them are equivalent.
So in your dimension, the only issue dividing Republicans and Democrats is Obama's school speech? What a marvel of bipartisanship. It must be really inspring to see both parties working together seamlessly on issues like climate change and health care. I wish I could travel to your universe. Hopefully recent breakthroughs in physics will allow this.

I'm pretty sure Democrats didn't walk arm-in-arm with Bush on every issue except Iraq, and I'm also pretty sure Republicans aren't giving Obama a helping hand on substantive issues (health care, cap and trade, the stimulus bill, etc). It's sort of funny that some of our resident Dems are just now realizing that the minority party doesn't tend to just roll over for the majority.
Manufacturing controversies over death panels and Presidential speeches to school children is now the same thing thing as failing to give a helping hand. Nice.

Not this resident Dem. I'm all for using reconciliation to jam reform through. I never had any false ideas that Republicans would be on board with the major structural changes Obama is proposing. I will admit that I didn't see some of the absurdity coming though. This school crap will end up being a blessing in disguise in the long run as Democrats will be about to point to it as proof that a large subset of republican voters were completely out of their minds at this time.

I'm really liking the "We were, like, totally bipartisan when we were in the minority!!!1!!" shtick. This is good stuff.

(Yes, I know, 2000 and all that).

I'm really liking the "We were, like, totally bipartisan when we were in the minority!!!1!!" shtick. This is good stuff.

(Yes, I know, 2000 and all that).
For the most part, I agree that both sides are often guilty of the same sins. But I think my fellow lefties have a point here ... for all the histrionics from the left during the Bush Administration, nobody considered remotely close to party leadership ever knowingly flat-out lied about what Bush was saying or doing in an effort to score cheap political points. Yet already we have Gingrich and Palin (that I can recall, there may be more) on the record as saying that the Obama and the Democracts wanted death panels. Feel free to find me a travesty from the left that you consider equally terrible, but as far as I can recall, that is a new low in terms of disgraceful lying and fearmongering for political gain.

Just an FYI for those that were afraid McCain would croak and leave the Presidency in the (capable) hands of Sarah Palin, he's still alive.If you voted for Obama for this reason, shame on you. You put some kind of imaginary "dead pool" ahead of the welfare of this country.Would McCain have had his warts as a President? Sure. But nothing like this.
That's your opinion. And it's wrong.

So in your dimension, the only issue dividing Republicans and Democrats is Obama's school speech? What a marvel of bipartisanship. It must be really inspring to see both parties working together seamlessly on issues like climate change and health care. I wish I could travel to your universe. Hopefully recent breakthroughs in physics will allow this.
My post says nothing of the sort, but flail away at straw men to your heart's content. But there is no getting around the fact that you are equating "some Democrats said mean things about Bush" with what is going on now. But again, only one side is bringing guns to issues forums, or pushing at the highest levels the notion that legislation will result in euthansia, or that the President is out to indoctrinate their children. I'm sure you respond with reference to some guy with a sign telling Bush to go back to Crawford, or something like that.Really, there's really nothing wrong with admitting that Republicans play politics much harder than Democrats. You just have to live with the consequences. False equivalencies don't distribute the blame for those consequences, however.

I'm really liking the "We were, like, totally bipartisan when we were in the minority!!!1!!" shtick. This is good stuff.(Yes, I know, 2000 and all that).
:thumbup: I'm not seeing any of that.
The school speech itself is a good example. Lots of people have noted that some elected Democrats objected to Bush's speech, and his Education secretary even got hauled before a congressional committee to explain himself. I don't see congressional Republicans doing the same thing. Granted, they don't have the power to compel hearings on anything, but still. Let's not pretend that the GOP has a monopoly on stupid.

For the most part, I agree that both sides are often guilty of the same sins. But I think my fellow lefties have a point here ... for all the histrionics from the left during the Bush Administration, nobody considered remotely close to party leadership ever knowingly flat-out lied about what Bush was saying or doing in an effort to score cheap political points.
Originally I was working on a response involving Dan Rather and Howard Dean's interesting theory about 9/11, but then it occurred to me that one of Obama's top advisors was forced to resign just last week over stuff like this and apparently you've already forgotten about, so what's the point. I give up.

For the most part, I agree that both sides are often guilty of the same sins. But I think my fellow lefties have a point here ... for all the histrionics from the left during the Bush Administration, nobody considered remotely close to party leadership ever knowingly flat-out lied about what Bush was saying or doing in an effort to score cheap political points.
Originally I was working on a response involving Dan Rather and Howard Dean's interesting theory about 9/11, but then it occurred to me that one of Obama's top advisors was forced to resign just last week over stuff like this and apparently you've already forgotten about, so what's the point. I give up.
I'm sorry you've left. I thought my question was a reasonable one.I'd say there's a huge difference between positing an incorrect theory and offering up a clear and obvious lie as the truth. I'd love to see a single example of a leading democrat (which is to say, not a Van Jones type, more of a Gingrich-Palin type) actively engaging the public with an indisputable fiction that they ascribe to the opposing party. There may well be one, but I don't know of it, and your examples don't meet that criteria.

Sorry that you've been scared off. I thought my distinction was a good one, and that I was respectful in raising the point. I'll check back in hopes that you change your mind and can offer up a closer parallel to the Palin/Gingrich Death Panel fiction.

Edit to add- even if Van Jones is a parallel, and I don't think he is, the fact that he was forced to resign is obviously an enormous distinction. I'm still waiting for the leadership of the right to denouce the Death Panel fabrications.

Not this resident Dem. I'm all for using reconciliation to jam reform through. I never had any false ideas that Republicans would be on board with the major structural changes Obama is proposing. I will admit that I didn't see some of the absurdity coming though. This school crap will end up being a blessing in disguise in the long run as Democrats will be about to point to it as proof that a large subset of republican voters were completely out of their minds at this time.
I'm convinced that it is literally impossible to anticipate the next level of absurdity. And as long as the media sits there and doesn't hold the right responsible for the last absurdity, it will keep coming, and it will get worse. They've probably been posted here before, but two of the best explanations of how we go to this point are from Bruce Bartlett on the right and Rick Perlstein on the left:http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/...9_08/019508.php

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9081401495.html

I just thought it was ironic that McCain lost by a landslide when he got away from his strengths: namely moderate leadership with the ability to work across the aisle. He moved way to the right, played up the fear, and got creamed. Yet the Republicans still see this as a good strategy to continue with, even after Americans clearly demonstrated with their votes that this is not what they want from their politicians.Does it just happen to be that the parties have switched places? Perhaps. But it just seems way more irrational this time around. Did you watch the video of the mother with kids that was crying because the President was going to address schoolchildren? When asked by the reporter what the President would say that was "scary", she couldn't articulate a thought (notice the uncomfortable silence while she thought about it) and eventually had to fall back on the words "socialsm" and "indoctrination". She seemed honestly emotional about the situation, but had nothing concrete to point to. Where did that fear come from? I see it coming from the republican leadership, which nowadays happens to consist of Rush, O'Reilly and Beck. So unfortunately I don't see the current discourse as "politics as usual". I see it as fear-mongering, shout-down, negative bullcrap and to me that's not leadership.

I just thought it was ironic that McCain lost by a landslide when he got away from his strengths: namely moderate leadership with the ability to work across the aisle. He moved way to the right, played up the fear, and got creamed. Yet the Republicans still see this as a good strategy to continue with, even after Americans clearly demonstrated with their votes that this is not what they want from their politicians.Does it just happen to be that the parties have switched places? Perhaps. But it just seems way more irrational this time around. Did you watch the video of the mother with kids that was crying because the President was going to address schoolchildren? When asked by the reporter what the President would say that was "scary", she couldn't articulate a thought (notice the uncomfortable silence while she thought about it) and eventually had to fall back on the words "socialsm" and "indoctrination". She seemed honestly emotional about the situation, but had nothing concrete to point to. Where did that fear come from? I see it coming from the republican leadership, which nowadays happens to consist of Rush, O'Reilly and Beck. So unfortunately I don't see the current discourse as "politics as usual". I see it as fear-mongering, shout-down, negative bullcrap and to me that's not leadership.
McCain couldn't have run as his former self to get the Republican nomination. In order to get it he had to move so far right that he couldn't get back to the center without looking ridiculous, and losing the base, which continued to think that Bush was a good President. So the election was decided months earlier.

It was rather difficult being the opposition in 2005 as after appointing Harriet Meirs for the supreme court which had the right going nuts; after the sale of port management to an Arab country which also had the right going nuts; after proposing Social Security reform that had the baby boomers going nuts (I think the saying about becoming more conservative as you get older is false, but I'll give it to you in this case); after the Teri Shiavo nonsense had any federalist, yet alone any rational person going nuts all that was left for left to go crazy over was the War in Iraq, Katrina, and the Katrina apologists. None of those were really policy initiatives that required any kind of political cooperation that was lacking from the left.

Users who are viewing this thread