What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM* (1 Viewer)

So I gave this show another shot and realized why I never really liked it: Larry David isn't funny. His character isn't funny.
One thing I'll say in defense of Larry is his humor does grow on you. The more shows you watch, the more you simultaneously relish and dread the clueless awkwardness of Larry.
I'm good. Another thing that bugs me about the show is the whole "this happened because I said this thing so now I have to act this way" or "I'm in this situation because I'm a moron that can't talk my way out of anything". It's almost like a high-brow '3's Company'.

So I gave this show another shot and realized why I never really liked it: Larry David isn't funny. His character isn't funny.
One thing I'll say in defense of Larry is his humor does grow on you. The more shows you watch, the more you simultaneously relish and dread the clueless awkwardness of Larry.
I'm good. Another thing that bugs me about the show is the whole "this happened because I said this thing so now I have to act this way" or "I'm in this situation because I'm a moron that can't talk my way out of anything". It's almost like a high-brow '3's Company'.
what is wrong with high-brow three's company?

One day you'll look back on this post and wonder who the person was who posted it. Kind of like the Otis/John Mayer is awesome posts.

Hey, if your world is full of so many great comedies that you can skip this one, then that's awesome. To me, most TV comedies are garbage. So far you've stated that you don't like Curb or Flight of the Conchords. So now I'm curious as to which TV comedies you favor.

GRRRRRRREAT episode!!! Too many awesome lines to pick just one.

:unsure:
nah,nothing better than the mother saying what she said about her 9-year-old's rash..
nothing better than Larry saying it to the mother in front of Jerry. Jerry's reaction right away is priceless, like Larry is way out of line.
Ok, soooooo, she's talking about her daughter's cat, right? I assume it's a misunderstanding?
yes rash on her daughters cat. not a misunderstanding, she just doesn't mind saying it flat out.

Hoart Petterson said:
RudiStein said:
jdoggydogg said:
RudiStein said:
One day you'll look back on this post and wonder who the person was who posted it. Kind of like the Otis/John Mayer is awesome posts.
Probably not. This is the third time I've given this show a chance. Larry David grates on me and I don't dig the formula.

crewmember said:
GRRRRRRREAT episode!!! Too many awesome lines to pick just one.

:blackdot:
nah,nothing better than the mother saying what she said about her 9-year-old's rash..
nothing better than Larry saying it to the mother in front of Jerry. Jerry's reaction right away is priceless, like Larry is way out of line.
Ok, soooooo, she's talking about her daughter's cat, right? I assume it's a misunderstanding?
yes rash on her daughters cat. not a misunderstanding, she just doesn't mind saying it flat out.
Yes, that is a misunderstanding. Larry thinks it's the daughter, and so does everyone he tells it to.

Just started watching this season and really liked it. It does grow on you.

Does anyone know the significance of the title "Curb Your Enthusiasm"?

My favorite show on tv but laughs during the finale were rare for me. I was only able to watch the 2nd half of the episode just because I had already invested so much time.

I thought it was a pretty tame episode, especially for a season finale. No Leon Black or Funkhauser, very little Jeff. I did, however, highly enjoy the Jerry & Larry moments, particularly the "let me see if you're lying" stare down.

Probably not. This is the third time I've given this show a chance. Larry David grates on me and I don't dig the formula.
FWIW, it took me alot more than 3 watches to get into this show. I used to cringe when my buddies wanted to watch it. It couldn't hold my attention and I'd rather watch something else. Now, complete 180 of that.

I thought it was a pretty tame episode, especially for a season finale. No Leon Black or Funkhauser, very little Jeff. I did, however, highly enjoy the Jerry & Larry moments, particularly the "let me see if you're lying" stare down.
I agree it wasn't the best episode and didn't have a lot of belly laugh moments. Now, having said that, I think Larry was trying to strike a balance between it being a Curb episode and showcasing the Seinfeld folks as he winded down that storyline. I think that made it difficult to incorporate Leon and some of the other regular Curb folks and as a result you didn't get as many laughs.

Baloney Sandwich said:
Kumerica said:
I agree it wasn't the best episode and didn't have a lot of belly laugh moments. Now, having said that, I think Larry was trying to strike a balance between it being a Curb episode and showcasing the Seinfeld folks as he winded down that storyline. I think that made it difficult to incorporate Leon and some of the other regular Curb folks and as a result you didn't get as many laughs.
Solid analysis. I actually laughed out loud a few times, and suspect I laughed more than most. My not-enough-Leon complaint is applicable to the whole season, not just the finale. Leon/Michael Richards last week was classic.ETA: I wish Larry took Leon to the golf course. Just once.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, that is a misunderstanding. Larry thinks it's the daughter, and so does everyone he tells it to.

it is the daughter. i was using "cat" as a code word, as i assumed you were.

I don't know if it was intentionally ironic or not, but, seemed to me that a lot of the episode was just "filler", thinking the audience would get a kick out of seeing the old cast in the old sets one last time (sadly they just re-used the dialogue we heard already)... thing is, that was kind of how the Seinfeld finale was, all that wasted time bringing back Soup Nazi and the O'Henry heiress, with no actual story advancement. They had several lines over the course of the season about how much the Seinfeld finale sucked, then, they basically did it again.

Fun episode, very few laughs. I'll say it again: this show thrives when the supporting players like Leon have a lot of screen time. I was glad to see all the Seinfeld bits. But if this show is to find its way again next season, it needs to get back to the formula that made it so successful.

Just started watching this season and really liked it. It does grow on you. Does anyone know the significance of the title "Curb Your Enthusiasm"?
I think it is because he had a special called "Larry David: Curb Your Enthusiasm", before he had the series. I always thought it was called that because of the way you were supposed to read the title, meaning "Larry David: Yeah, don't get too excited."

jdoggydogg said:
But if this show is to find its way again next season, it needs to get back to the formula that made it so successful.
There is no next season. Having said that, Larry can be wishy-washy.

jdoggydogg said:
But if this show is to find its way again next season, it needs to get back to the formula that made it so successful.
There is no next season. Having said that, Larry can be wishy-washy.
Yup, the show came full circle.Plus he got his Seinfeld reunion. Nothing left for this show to do.

I've been watching this show from day one, but it's been hit or miss this season. It's been a hell of a funny series. Very underrated imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something to watch for, not sure if anyone caught it upthread... in the episode where Larry leaves wearing the Banana Republic pants, when the fire alarm goes off and everyone has to leave the store, apparently you can see Ben Affleck as one of the people walking out. According to my contact on set, he was there the day they were filming and they asked if he'd like to be in the scene. Happens a lot apparently, a couple episodes before one of the PAs was sent to clear some onlookers while they did an outdoor shot, turned out it was Ray Liotta just hanging out watching them film.

I have watched the final episode twice now. After watching it the first time, I was a little dissapointed in the episode, now having said that, the 2nd time I watched it, I found it prety, pretty, pretty, entertaining and actually liked it.

Something to watch for, not sure if anyone caught it upthread... in the episode where Larry leaves wearing the Banana Republic pants, when the fire alarm goes off and everyone has to leave the store, apparently you can see Ben Affleck as one of the people walking out. According to my contact on set, he was there the day they were filming and they asked if he'd like to be in the scene. Happens a lot apparently, a couple episodes before one of the PAs was sent to clear some onlookers while they did an outdoor shot, turned out it was Ray Liotta just hanging out watching them film.
Yep I noticed that. Also, I believe in another episode Erik Siedel was eating in the background

While I admit that most of the finale wasn't laugh out loud funny, I have to say, I "enjoy" watching this show more than any other on TV right now. Even when I'm not laughing out loud, to me, it's just a fun show to watch.

This is one of my favorite shows of all time. Honestly, my wife knows when I am watching because it is the only show I laugh out loud at. My uncle through marriage (who is Jewish) is just like Larry, less aggressive, but pushy nonetheless, turned me onto the show years ago and I always thank him when I see him. Great to see there will be another season...

i just started this show with first episode of season 1 on reruns on one of our local channels.

I'm sure the show isn't quite as good when censored, but I'm still enjoying it.

It kind of feels like Seinfeld "lite" to me since there's really only one funny character - Larry David.

but since I enjoyd Seinfeld quite a bit, Seinfeld "lite" is still better than a lot of comedies out there.

i just started this show with first episode of season 1 on reruns on one of our local channels.

I'm sure the show isn't quite as good when censored, but I'm still enjoying it.

It kind of feels like Seinfeld "lite" to me since there's really only one funny character - Larry David.

but since I enjoyd Seinfeld quite a bit, Seinfeld "lite" is still better than a lot of comedies out there.
I like Jeff and his wife. But as you get further along, characters will break in who are really funny. They are not on every show, which doesn't really put them in the class of George/Kramer/Elaine, but they are great nonetheless.

i just started this show with first episode of season 1 on reruns on one of our local channels.I'm sure the show isn't quite as good when censored, but I'm still enjoying it.It kind of feels like Seinfeld "lite" to me since there's really only one funny character - Larry David. but since I enjoyd Seinfeld quite a bit, Seinfeld "lite" is still better than a lot of comedies out there.
I guess that you could look at it that way, but I also think that it's sometimes a more raw and unadulterated version of Seinfeld. Obviously since it is on HBO, Larry can do anything he wants and get more twisted and vulgar. Episode 1 is fairly tame. Wait until you get to episode 3. Not sure how they will handle that on regular tv, though the syndication I've seen around here has it on at 10:00 or midnight, so they can probably get away with more.

Users who are viewing this thread