What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Cow's Build a Killer Gaming Rig on a Budget Thread (2 Viewers)

I would reformat and reinstall with 1 stick of RAM, then try with the other as well.
What/how do I reformat? I haven't really done anything yet.
Make sure to set the boot order to DVD first, then HDD and go through the install process again. It will initially ask about formatting and partitioning. You want to partition how you want to do it - might as well make 1 huge partition for your needs, then do the slower format option.
See, that's the thing, I have the boot order set as you describe. Then I put in the windows boot disk, and it says that windows is loading files (a white status bar is on the bottom of the screen). The status bar fills up fast once and then slowly a second time. Then it goes to a screen with the windows logo and it says "starting windows" and it gets stuck there. I don't get to a point where I am given any decisions to make.

I would reformat and reinstall with 1 stick of RAM, then try with the other as well.
Make sure to set the boot order to DVD first, then HDD and go through the install process again. It will initially ask about formatting and partitioning. You want to partition how you want to do it - might as well make 1 huge partition for your needs, then do the slower format option.
See, that's the thing, I have the boot order set as you describe. Then I put in the windows boot disk, and it says that windows is loading files (a white status bar is on the bottom of the screen). The status bar fills up fast once and then slowly a second time. Then it goes to a screen with the windows logo and it says "starting windows" and it gets stuck there. I don't get to a point where I am given any decisions to make.
There is something wrong with that then.

There is something wrong with that then.
So what are my options? Do I try to get another copy of windows 7 to install? How else can I troubleshoot?

hijack: i just got my XFX 5770-based video card today. when did these things get so BIG?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a question - how is NVidia selling ANY video cards these days? At every tier, AMD cards cost less and kick the crap out of the NVidia's in performance. For example, the 5850 is about $310 while the GTX 275 costs about $20-30 more and produces 20-30% less results. Crazy how fast things change. NVidia has been dealt a massive asskicking this round. They need to drop prices something awful till they can respond. This carries down to the 5700 lines as well.

Maybe you can try loading Windows via USB if you have a large enough USB drive. Going to need a working computer to do this.

Loading Windows via usb drive.
Well, after waiting a LONG time to reformat my external hard drive, it turns out this option won't work because I am loading a 64 bit version of windows 7. The computer I am on now (and using to format the external drive) has a 32 bit OS.Damn.

Maybe you can try loading Windows via USB if you have a large enough USB drive. Going to need a working computer to do this.

Well, after waiting a LONG time to reformat my external hard drive, it turns out this option won't work because I am loading a 64 bit version of windows 7. The computer I am on now (and using to format the external drive) has a 32 bit OS.Damn.
Sound like you are having a bad day in cpu land. Did you check to see if the media worked on another computer? Also if EIST is enabled in your bios try and disable it. Also try and disable any other bios "features" that may be causing a compatibility problem.

Here's a question - how is NVidia selling ANY video cards these days? At every tier, AMD cards cost less and kick the crap out of the NVidia's in performance. For example, the 5850 is about $310 while the GTX 275 costs about $20-30 more and produces 20-30% less results. Crazy how fast things change. NVidia has been dealt a massive asskicking this round. They need to drop prices something awful till they can respond. This carries down to the 5700 lines as well.
Good point. I didn't realize that the 4890 is $190 and is on par with the GTX285, which costs twice as much. Unreal.

Sound like you are having a bad day in cpu land. Did you check to see if the media worked on another computer? Also if EIST is enabled in your bios try and disable it. Also try and disable any other bios "features" that may be causing a compatibility problem.
Haven't checked on my only other computer. Just what I need right now is for something to get effed up on this one...I'll check on the bios recommendation tomorrow. I think I may just have a bad Windows 7 DVD. Either that, or my DVD drive is no good. I've eliminated just about everything else.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Haven't checked on my only other computer. Just what I need right now is for something to get effed up on this one...I'll check on the bios recommendation tomorrow. I think I may just have a bad Windows 7 DVD. Either that, or my DVD drive is no good. I've eliminated just about everything else.

Thanks for the thoughts.
If your motherboard as on board video try pulling the graphics card too. Good luck.

Thanks for the thoughts.
If your motherboard as on board video try pulling the graphics card too. Good luck.
I'm too tired, frustrated, and drunk right now to know or check. Does a ASUS P6TD Deulxe have on board video? TIA.

No, just checked. Make sure you have the right kind of ram because you need dddr 3 ram for that highend board. The memory requirments can be found on newegg. Also this board has a feature called expressgate. Turn this off in bios to see if that helps.

Asus board specs

No, just checked. Make sure you have the right kind of ram because you need dddr 3 ram for that highend board. The memory requirments can be found on newegg. Also this board has a feature called expressgate. Turn this off in bios to see if that helps.

Asus board specs
Thanks. I do have dddr3 ram (3x2GB). I'll try turning expressgate off.

Asus board specs
Is the RAM double or triple?

Asus board specs
Is the RAM double or triple?
triple.ETA: Here is my RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145242

Ok, so I've tried all the recommendations provided by everyone. Thanks all for the input.

I have also gotten another DVD drive, and have tried both the 64 and 32 bit versions of windows 7. I don't have any other OS to try.

I don't think it any of the following components (for the following reasons):

Motherboard (I can get into bios and expressgate, the onboard OS)

CPU (for the same reasons as the motherboard)

Power supply (everything works)

RAM (tried loading with 1 of 3 sticks of ram in first slot with each stick, also computer recognizes all 6GB)

HDD (tried two different ones)

Fans (they're just fans and all work)

DVD/CD drive (tried two different ones)

So I guess that leaves me with either the bios or the GPU. I don't have any way to check the GPU. There is no onboard video on the motherboard. I have tried a number of things with the bios, but don't really know what I'm doing.

So, given all of that information, and knowing that I can't even get past the starting windows screen when trying to install the OS, does anyone have any idea of what my problem might be, or how to go about trying to troubleshoot?

Failing that, what do I do now? I have a big piece of expensive electronic crap right now.

Just got off the phone with Asus and they told me that I'll need to manually set the volatages and timings for my RAM. So I need to call the RAM people and get those for manual entry into the bios.

Anyone ever have to do this?

Ok, so I've tried all the recommendations provided by everyone. Thanks all for the input.I have also gotten another DVD drive, and have tried both the 64 and 32 bit versions of windows 7. I don't have any other OS to try.I don't think it any of the following components (for the following reasons):Motherboard (I can get into bios and expressgate, the onboard OS)CPU (for the same reasons as the motherboard)Power supply (everything works)RAM (tried loading with 1 of 3 sticks of ram in first slot with each stick, also computer recognizes all 6GB)HDD (tried two different ones)Fans (they're just fans and all work)DVD/CD drive (tried two different ones)So I guess that leaves me with either the bios or the GPU. I don't have any way to check the GPU. There is no onboard video on the motherboard. I have tried a number of things with the bios, but don't really know what I'm doing.So, given all of that information, and knowing that I can't even get past the starting windows screen when trying to install the OS, does anyone have any idea of what my problem might be, or how to go about trying to troubleshoot?Failing that, what do I do now? I have a big piece of expensive electronic crap right now.
Check for bios updates on Asus website. Also if the dvd is ide you might try buying a sata adaptor and plugging it in via a sata connection and disable the ide controller. Running out ideas, I assume your power supply is big enough, should be at least 650 watts for that setup.

Just got off the phone with Asus and they told me that I'll need to manually set the volatages and timings for my RAM. So I need to call the RAM people and get those for manual entry into the bios.Anyone ever have to do this?
Had to do it? No. Have I done it for overclocking purposes? Yes. Sometimes RAM and mobos do not play together well and so you get what you have now.

Just got off the phone with Asus and they told me that I'll need to manually set the volatages and timings for my RAM. So I need to call the RAM people and get those for manual entry into the bios.

Yup. Kept getting BSOD (blue screen of death) warnings for random things on multiple fresh installs. Once I set the timing for the RAM, it was all good. Weirdest experience with mobo I have had and it drove me nuts.ETA: The timing should be on the RAM like 8 8 8 21 or something like that (my DDR3 says that).

Ok, so I've tried all the recommendations provided by everyone. Thanks all for the input.I have also gotten another DVD drive, and have tried both the 64 and 32 bit versions of windows 7. I don't have any other OS to try.I don't think it any of the following components (for the following reasons):Motherboard (I can get into bios and expressgate, the onboard OS)CPU (for the same reasons as the motherboard)Power supply (everything works)RAM (tried loading with 1 of 3 sticks of ram in first slot with each stick, also computer recognizes all 6GB)HDD (tried two different ones)Fans (they're just fans and all work)DVD/CD drive (tried two different ones)So I guess that leaves me with either the bios or the GPU. I don't have any way to check the GPU. There is no onboard video on the motherboard. I have tried a number of things with the bios, but don't really know what I'm doing.So, given all of that information, and knowing that I can't even get past the starting windows screen when trying to install the OS, does anyone have any idea of what my problem might be, or how to go about trying to troubleshoot?Failing that, what do I do now? I have a big piece of expensive electronic crap right now.
Check for bios updates on Asus website. Also if the dvd is ide you might try buying a sata adaptor and plugging it in via a sata connection and disable the ide controller. Running out ideas, I assume your power supply is big enough, should be at least 650 watts for that setup.
I have checked the bios updates on the asus website. There are quite a few, but none of them seem to address the problem I am having, and I don't really want to mess with the bios unless I have to.My power supply is 950 watts.

Just got off the phone with Asus and they told me that I'll need to manually set the volatages and timings for my RAM. So I need to call the RAM people and get those for manual entry into the bios.Anyone ever have to do this?
Yup. Kept getting BSOD (blue screen of death) warnings for random things on multiple fresh installs. Once I set the voltages for the RAM, it was all good. Weirdest experience with mobo I have had and it drove me nuts.
Alright, at least I now have an option to wait on. Couldn't find a number for Corsair tech support so had to email them...

Check the actual RAM to see if it has the timing specs. The voltage for yours is 1.65 V and the timing is 7-7-7-20. HTH.

Yup. Kept getting BSOD (blue screen of death) warnings for random things on multiple fresh installs. Once I set the timing for the RAM, it was all good. Weirdest experience with mobo I have had and it drove me nuts.ETA: The timing should be on the RAM like 8 8 8 21 or something like that (my DDR3 says that).
Just adjust the RAM voltages and settings in the BIOS and I bet you are golden.

Timing says 7 7 7 20. However, when I go into the DRAM timing control in the bios, I see a lot more numbers:8 8 8 20 4 59 8 6 20 0

thats just for 1st information. then there's 2nd and 3rd information

Timing says 7 7 7 20. However, when I go into the DRAM timing control in the bios, I see a lot more numbers:8 8 8 20 4 59 8 6 20 0

Just adjust the first four numbers (or just the first 3 really). I would ignore the rest and see what happens on restart.

Just adjust the first four numbers (or just the first 3 really). I would ignore the rest and see what happens on restart.
Did that, and still the same problem. I guess I'll just wait for the corsair people to get back to me.

Don't forget voltages as well.

I have a Asus mobo in my media PC. Let me go take a look at it. I will report back.

Yes...voltages too.

It is not just Asus mobos, though. I have a few Asus and never had this problem. It is compatibility issues. Sometimes RAM and mobos just don't get along, that's all.

It is not just Asus mobos, though. I have a few Asus and never had this problem. It is compatibility issues. Sometimes RAM and mobos just don't get along, that's all.
Absolutely correct. Just wanted to see the layout in the bios. No time to do it now unfortunately.

In case anyone is interested, I am finally up and running. After trying many, many different things, and almost throwing the damn computer out the window, it turned out to be a bad (or strangely incompatible) power supply. Swapped my old one out and everything suddenly worked.

Freakin computers.

In case anyone is interested, I am finally up and running. After trying many, many different things, and almost throwing the damn computer out the window, it turned out to be a bad (or strangely incompatible) power supply. Swapped my old one out and everything suddenly worked.Freakin computers.
:goodposting:Sorry, but welcome to the world of computer builders/trouble shooters. Put that knowledge in your cap and remember it. Keep in mind though that RAM is about 100X more likely to be the problem than PSU. :lol:

In case anyone is interested, I am finally up and running. After trying many, many different things, and almost throwing the damn computer out the window, it turned out to be a bad (or strangely incompatible) power supply. Swapped my old one out and everything suddenly worked.Freakin computers.
:eek: Sorry, but welcome to the world of computer builders/trouble shooters. Put that knowledge in your cap and remember it. Keep in mind though that RAM is about 100X more likely to be the problem than PSU. :lol:
:blackdot: Maybe I'll be able to laugh at this sometime. I'm not ready yet.I just don't understand how a PSU that seems to be working can cause a problem like this. I have read about many instances where the same power supply that I have paired with several different mobos has caused this problem.Anyway, I'll chalk this up as a learning experience. Hopefully, I won't have to put this experience to use anytime soon...Thanks to everyone who tried to help!

So, because I haven't already caused myself way too much frustration, how difficult is overclocking, and is it something you would recommend me getting into given my current state of mind? :unsure:

So, because I haven't already caused myself way too much frustration, how difficult is overclocking, and is it something you would recommend me getting into given my current state of mind? :goodposting:
it isn't too terribly difficult but if I were you I'd roll with the factory clock for a while. There isn't anything out there that will tax your machine too much. Enjoy some games for now and overclock in a few months. Congrats on finally getting it going.

The only thing I can think of with the PSU is one of the rails might have been defective or the power might have not been constant. That would be a problem. Compatibility not so much.

The only thing I can think of with the PSU is one of the rails might have been defective or the power might have not been constant. That would be a problem. Compatibility not so much.
I would think the same, but I ran across a number of people who had the exact same problem with the exact same PSU. The only way I found a solution was to email someone who had posted on another forum describing the same problem with almost the same setup. He had not posted a solution, but emailed me back that it had been the PSU and emailed me this link:http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/2064-63-...-windows-screen

I'm having an interesting problem with my machine.

I went to boot it up the other day and install Dragon Age. After I pressed the power key, fans spin on as usual, the LEDs on the Mobo light up normal, and it acts like it's booting, but I never get a spash screen or POST messages (monitor reports no signal). If I wait 30-45 seconds, the display kicks in as a solid white display with vertical black lines on it.

The same thing happens if I unplug one of the PCI-E leads to the video card (an MSI 4890), so I thought it might be either the power supply or the video card. I swapped out the power supply and that didn't fix it, so next I'm swapping out the video card.

This was a previously functioning machine - the only thing that I can think of that's happened to it lately is my 2 year old has been pressing the power/reset buttons a lot, until we finally got smart enough to just unplug the box. Anyone seen a problem like this and have any other ideas for me?

I'm having an interesting problem with my machine.I went to boot it up the other day and install Dragon Age. After I pressed the power key, fans spin on as usual, the LEDs on the Mobo light up normal, and it acts like it's booting, but I never get a spash screen or POST messages (monitor reports no signal). If I wait 30-45 seconds, the display kicks in as a solid white display with vertical black lines on it. The same thing happens if I unplug one of the PCI-E leads to the video card (an MSI 4890), so I thought it might be either the power supply or the video card. I swapped out the power supply and that didn't fix it, so next I'm swapping out the video card.This was a previously functioning machine - the only thing that I can think of that's happened to it lately is my 2 year old has been pressing the power/reset buttons a lot, until we finally got smart enough to just unplug the box. Anyone seen a problem like this and have any other ideas for me?
Assuming you have already done the easy things (checked the RAM by using only one stick at a time, made sure the CPU and other peripherals are seated properly) it might be helpful to borrow a video card from someone else and give it a try. Other than that my only thought is a new mobo.

I've been following this thread for awhile and have a question about a rig that just popped up on my local Craigslist. I'm nowhere near an expert on this stuff so I am not sure if what I am seeing is a good deal or if I'd be better off finding something pre-built online or building one myself.

The specs of the computer are as follows:

Case

GIGABYTE 3D Aurora 570 GZ-FA1CA-ASB Black 1.0 mm Aluminum body ATX Full Tower

Power Supply

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W

CPU

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 (FSB 1066)

Motherboard

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX

Memory

Patriot eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

GPU

EVGA 320-P2-N815-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP (576MHz Core clock)

Primary Hard Drive

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150

Secondary Hard Drive

SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Optical Drive

SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black SATA Model SH-S183L - OEM

Here is the link to the ad - http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/sys/1524669938.html

Is that a good deal?

I've been following this thread for awhile and have a question about a rig that just popped up on my local Craigslist. I'm nowhere near an expert on this stuff so I am not sure if what I am seeing is a good deal or if I'd be better off finding something pre-built online or building one myself.

The specs of the computer are as follows:

Case

GIGABYTE 3D Aurora 570 GZ-FA1CA-ASB Black 1.0 mm Aluminum body ATX Full Tower

Power Supply

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W

CPU

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 (FSB 1066)

Motherboard

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX

Memory

Patriot eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

GPU

EVGA 320-P2-N815-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP (576MHz Core clock)

Primary Hard Drive

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150

Secondary Hard Drive

SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Optical Drive

SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black SATA Model SH-S183L - OEM

Here is the link to the ad - http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/sys/1524669938.html

Is that a good deal?
Case, maybe $50CPU $100

Mobo probably $80?

RAM - $40

Vid card - $50?

That raptor is worth $100 easy

500 GB HDD $40

Optical - $20

That is my quick estimation. Less than $500 worth IMO.

Zasada said:
commisholio said:
I'm having an interesting problem with my machine.I went to boot it up the other day and install Dragon Age. After I pressed the power key, fans spin on as usual, the LEDs on the Mobo light up normal, and it acts like it's booting, but I never get a spash screen or POST messages (monitor reports no signal). If I wait 30-45 seconds, the display kicks in as a solid white display with vertical black lines on it. The same thing happens if I unplug one of the PCI-E leads to the video card (an MSI 4890), so I thought it might be either the power supply or the video card. I swapped out the power supply and that didn't fix it, so next I'm swapping out the video card.This was a previously functioning machine - the only thing that I can think of that's happened to it lately is my 2 year old has been pressing the power/reset buttons a lot, until we finally got smart enough to just unplug the box. Anyone seen a problem like this and have any other ideas for me?
Assuming you have already done the easy things (checked the RAM by using only one stick at a time, made sure the CPU and other peripherals are seated properly) it might be helpful to borrow a video card from someone else and give it a try. Other than that my only thought is a new mobo.
It was indeed the video card. Swapped it out for a new one and it worked fine. I RMA'ed the old one - now I'm trying to decide whether to by a new 5XXX video card and sell the 4890 or just wait for the 4890 to come back from the manufacturer.

Zasada said:
commisholio said:
It was indeed the video card. Swapped it out for a new one and it worked fine. I RMA'ed the old one - now I'm trying to decide whether to by a new 5XXX video card and sell the 4890 or just wait for the 4890 to come back from the manufacturer.
Oh I think you know the answer to that one, my friend. Enjoy your new 5850! :excited:

Oh I think you know the answer to that one, my friend. Enjoy your new 5850! :blackdot:
Considering how long it will take to get a replacement card back from MSI and how much I want to start playing Dragon Age, I'm thinking the same way you are.

Oh I think you know the answer to that one, my friend. Enjoy your new 5850! :)
Considering how long it will take to get a replacement card back from MSI and how much I want to start playing Dragon Age, I'm thinking the same way you are.
:hot:Then just turn around and sell the 4890 on eBay and get some of the :hot: back.

i'm going to put my system together once i'm able to get my wife outta the hospital and relatively stable from a needy patient point of view.

i have both arctic silver 5 and ceramique thermal paste around the house. is there any real difference which one i use between my i5 and the water block?

Update: I chose to use Ceramique

what a PITA my system rebuild has been!

what i purchased:

i5-750 CPU

corsair dominator 2x2GB DDR3 RAM

ASUS maximum III formula MoBo

Swiftech Apogee XT water block

i take my old system apart & put together the new stuff. after 1 boot the MoBo won't boot again.

i bought the stuff from newegg & don't want to wait for the RMA to be sent to me. so i go to micro center to buy another MoBo. when Newegg sends me the replacement, i'll return it to Micro Center.

while at micro center, i decide to buy a new power supply too (Antec True Power 750). so, i rebuild everything again with the new Mobo. the pump in my Zalman Reserator goes bad. it won't pump the water through the CPU. i can feel the line vibrate upstrem of the CPU, but not downstream. the flow indicator doesn't indicate any flow. CPU temp, as reported in BIOS, goes up about 0.5 C per second. very bad.

so, tomorrow i will go back to micro center to buy a new water pump. we'll see

before i try and sell my old stuff on Ebay...

FBG discount available. any reasonable offer accepted!

CPU: AMD Opteron 175 (socket 939) stock 2.2 GHz. one core is good to at least 2.8, the other i wasn't able to run any faster than 2.5-2.6. i ran it at 2.42 GHz.

MoBo: ASUS A8N-SLI premium. (Socket 939) a very nice MoBo for Socket 939.

RAM: 2 x 1Gb Mushkin DDR XP 4000

Water Block: Zalman ZM-WB3 socket 939 water block

the basis for a nice secondary system or one for a kid, etc.

any interest, please let me know

Asus 5850 on the way from the 'egg. 4980 sold to a FBG when it returns from the factory. Word.

Users who are viewing this thread