What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Cow's Build a Killer Gaming Rig on a Budget Thread (2 Viewers)

Nick Vermeil said:
Mine is up and running tonight as well. Excellent boot speed off the SSD! Mad Cow, the 5850 fits well but cable management around the back is tight. I don't see how the 5870 would fit without cutting a chunk out of the hard drive cage.

Stupid question of the night: how should I set up the 1TB HDD? Since I'll be using it for storage and for launching applications that don't live on the SSD do I need to do anything in particular? I've never really done this before...
Bump. And as a follow up, how do you direct installation of programs to the second hard drive? How do you choose what ends up on the SSD? For instance, a lot of my games are downloaded from Steam and I don't think it asks where to install the game. Edumacate me.
Yes, you will have to change the drive they install to. Just have another Program Files(x86) directory on your 1 TB drive and install there. That is what I have been doing.ETA once you put the Steam directory on the TB drive, all games will install there. You are going to have to relegate the Steam directory there or you will run out of room fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally speaking, as long as the apps aren't massive they all go on my SSD. That's what I bought it for -- responsiveness and "instant launch" of applications.

I have WoW on my SSD because I'm playing it all the time. If WoW became second-fiddle to some other game (and at the same time hell freezes over) I would move it to the traditional HDD and the new game to the SSD.

The traditional drive is for media storage (who cares how fast the movie streams from your hard drive as long as it streams fast enough) and anything else that would consume too much space on the SSD and provide little/no benefit from the speed of the drive.

A good example of this is FRAPS. The application itself is installed on my SSD but the media files it creates when recording gameplay go to my HDD.

Generally speaking, as long as the apps aren't massive they all go on my SSD. That's what I bought it for -- responsiveness and "instant launch" of applications. I have WoW on my SSD because I'm playing it all the time. If WoW became second-fiddle to some other game (and at the same time hell freezes over) I would move it to the traditional HDD and the new game to the SSD.The traditional drive is for media storage (who cares how fast the movie streams from your hard drive as long as it streams fast enough) and anything else that would consume too much space on the SSD and provide little/no benefit from the speed of the drive.A good example of this is FRAPS. The application itself is installed on my SSD but the media files it creates when recording gameplay go to my HDD.
My approach will be if I play the game frequently, SSD. If less so, then on the 1 TB drive.

Nick Vermeil said:
Mine is up and running tonight as well. Excellent boot speed off the SSD! Mad Cow, the 5850 fits well but cable management around the back is tight. I don't see how the 5870 would fit without cutting a chunk out of the hard drive cage.

Stupid question of the night: how should I set up the 1TB HDD? Since I'll be using it for storage and for launching applications that don't live on the SSD do I need to do anything in particular? I've never really done this before...
Bump. And as a follow up, how do you direct installation of programs to the second hard drive? How do you choose what ends up on the SSD? For instance, a lot of my games are downloaded from Steam and I don't think it asks where to install the game. Edumacate me.
Yes, you will have to change the drive they install to. Just have another Program Files(x86) directory on your 1 TB drive and install there. That is what I have been doing.ETA once you put the Steam directory on the TB drive, all games will install there. You are going to have to relegate the Steam directory there or you will run out of room fast.
What means x86? Yes, I know I'm an idiot.

Nick Vermeil said:

If you have a 64 bit OS, there are 2 PRogram Files directories, the X86 one is where it is all stored.

Nick Vermeil said:

If you have a 64 bit OS, there are 2 PRogram Files directories, the X86 one is where it is all stored.
I do have 64 bit. Thanks!

I bought an MSI R4890 a few months ago and the cooling fan has developed a really irritating vibration - it sounds like there's a jet plane in my computer case. Do you guys think I can replace the blower on it myself or should I try to get the factory to fix it for me?

I bought an MSI R4890 a few months ago and the cooling fan has developed a really irritating vibration - it sounds like there's a jet plane in my computer case. Do you guys think I can replace the blower on it myself or should I try to get the factory to fix it for me?
You might consider getting a nice after-market cooler. They are fairly easy to install and generally do a much better job of cooling.

My friend that worked for MS delivered my 3 copies of 64-bit Win7 Ultimate last night. Now off to upgrade a ton of office systems. :X

I tried to set up my user profile on the regular HD as detailed in this article, but I couldn't get it to work for some reason. I would really like to get a few key Steam games onto the SSD, but the Steam folder is 60 gigs. That pretty much uses up the available space. Any tips to putting just a few Steam games on the SSD? For now, I'm running them off the regular HD.

I tried to set up my user profile on the regular HD as detailed in this article, but I couldn't get it to work for some reason. I would really like to get a few key Steam games onto the SSD, but the Steam folder is 60 gigs. That pretty much uses up the available space. Any tips to putting just a few Steam games on the SSD? For now, I'm running them off the regular HD.
I gotta tell ya, I am running Steam on my regular HD and with the RAM, vid card and new CPU, I cannot imagine them running any faster anyway. :popcorn:

I gotta tell ya, I am running Steam on my regular HD and with the RAM, vid card and new CPU, I cannot imagine them running any faster anyway. :blackdot:
Probably true. I don't think it's a hard drive issue, but I was getting some lag in Left 4 Dead, mostly when Corp an Perry were talking over in game chat. I guess I need to move to the south. Any tweaks that will stop audio from causing a bottle neck? Side note, I can't believe how quiet this new machine is. The case is excellent.

I gotta tell ya, I am running Steam on my regular HD and with the RAM, vid card and new CPU, I cannot imagine them running any faster anyway. :blackdot:
Probably true. I don't think it's a hard drive issue, but I was getting some lag in Left 4 Dead, mostly when Corp an Perry were talking over in game chat. I guess I need to move to the south. Any tweaks that will stop audio from causing a bottle neck? Side note, I can't believe how quiet this new machine is. The case is excellent.
:unsure: Do you have a discrete audio card? If you are using mobo, that might cause a problem. If not, just try adjusting audio properties to lower. Another trick if you have discrete audio is use mobo audio for voice and the discrete for all other audio. Separating them can help a lot.

I gotta tell ya, I am running Steam on my regular HD and with the RAM, vid card and new CPU, I cannot imagine them running any faster anyway. :shrug:
:yes: Do you have a discrete audio card? If you are using mobo, that might cause a problem. If not, just try adjusting audio properties to lower. Another trick if you have discrete audio is use mobo audio for voice and the discrete for all other audio. Separating them can help a lot.
I'm using the onboard audio. Can you suggest a discrete card or two?

I gotta tell ya, I am running Steam on my regular HD and with the RAM, vid card and new CPU, I cannot imagine them running any faster anyway. :shrug:
:yes: Do you have a discrete audio card? If you are using mobo, that might cause a problem. If not, just try adjusting audio properties to lower. Another trick if you have discrete audio is use mobo audio for voice and the discrete for all other audio. Separating them can help a lot.
I'm using the onboard audio. Can you suggest a discrete card or two?
Budget?

[quote name='Mad Cow' post='11120458' date='Nov 16 2009, I'm using the onboard audio. Can you suggest a discrete card or two?
Budget?
You know me, I'm made of money. I'll probably have to get a new headset too since my current is a USB. Say $200-$250 for both?
:thumbup:

You can get a great gaming card for around $90.

Creative Gaming Sound card for $100

I got that card for around $65-70 though - it goes on sale a fair amount.

The 5850 is a solid choice. I have been reading every review coming out for the 5970 and thought I would share this blurb:

Given the 5970's $600 price tag, we thought that the 5850 CrossFireX configuration is a great comparison given that two of those would cost you approximately $600...if you can find them in stock. For the most part, the 5970 was faster than 5850CFX, but just enough to make the 5970 look a bit better "on paper." In real world gameplay, we saw no advantage to the 5970 over 5850CFX. This surely makes one think that purchasing a single 5850 now and buying another one later might be exactly the right move.

$189 for an 80GB SSD after coupon code

This is apparently a rebranded Intel, so you are getting a good SSD.

Coupon code is EMCMMMV43
Just FYI this was a V1 drive so it won't be supporting trim. I almost pulled the trigger until I figured this out.Got a Lan Party set up for a week from Sunday with 7 of my buddies. L4D2!!! <rubs hands> Nothing beats being in the same room as your friends when you spawn as the tank and you hear them go crazy trying to kill you...

The 5850 is a solid choice. I have been reading every review coming out for the 5970 and thought I would share this blurb:

Given the 5970's $600 price tag, we thought that the 5850 CrossFireX configuration is a great comparison given that two of those would cost you approximately $600...if you can find them in stock. For the most part, the 5970 was faster than 5850CFX, but just enough to make the 5970 look a bit better "on paper." In real world gameplay, we saw no advantage to the 5970 over 5850CFX. This surely makes one think that purchasing a single 5850 now and buying another one later might be exactly the right move.
I'm loving the 5850. I can't see any game right now that this card can't handle in a single install. And it's so inexpensive I won't feel guilty replacing next year if I find something I like better. I am having a little trouble with my windows 7 install however. After I've had it on for a few hours, for some reason programs stop launching and I have to reboot. And when that happens, the computer hangs on the "Shutting down" screen and I have to force quit. I may have to reinstall.

I'm loving the 5850. I can't see any game right now that this card can't handle in a single install. And it's so inexpensive I won't feel guilty replacing next year if I find something I like better. I am having a little trouble with my windows 7 install however. After I've had it on for a few hours, for some reason programs stop launching and I have to reboot. And when that happens, the computer hangs on the "Shutting down" screen and I have to force quit. I may have to reinstall.
Interesting. Sounds like you might need to reinstall. I have had no problems whatsover and love this bad boy.

Hi Mad Cow, I am looking to build my first computer. I intend to use it for general everyday things and also for gaming. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I want a nice machine that will last me a while. I would like an Intel i7 Core processor >3.0GHz. Other than that, I am looking for recommendations for the following:

Case

Power Supply

Motherboard

CPU

Hard Drive (1TB or greater)

Opticals (Bluray player at least, possibly writer if there is a good deal)

RAM

Video Card

OS (Windows 7)

Sound Card

My budget is ~$1500. I would appreciate it if you could help me out with recommendations (and possibly advice for a 1st time builder) if you get a chance.

I already have a monitor and speakers, but no keyboard or mouse.

Hi Mad Cow, I am looking to build my first computer. I intend to use it for general everyday things and also for gaming. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I want a nice machine that will last me a while. I would like an Intel i7 Core processor >3.0GHz. Other than that, I am looking for recommendations for the following:CasePower SupplyMotherboardCPUHard Drive (1TB or greater)Opticals (Bluray player at least, possibly writer if there is a good deal)RAMVideo CardOS (Windows 7)Sound CardMy budget is ~$1500. I would appreciate it if you could help me out with recommendations (and possibly advice for a 1st time builder) if you get a chance.I already have a monitor and speakers, but no keyboard or mouse.
This cost me just over $1000 and overclocks easily to 4.0ghz. The GTX 260 is under $200 and I don't think it's worth upgrading to another GTX 2xx series. If you're a serious gamer you probably want a HD 5850, which is around $300. If you really need a BR drive you can get one for just over $100, but unless you know you'll be watching BR movies on it I'd go with a Sony 7240S DVD burner since by the time BR media comes down in price you'll be able to buy a better BR burner for less. For a HD I'd go with a WD Caviar Black, less than $100.Case - Antec Twelve Hundred 750 BlueCPU - i7 920CPU Cooler - Prolimatech Megahalem Rev. B with (2) Scythe SFF21E 49 CFM fansMobo - Asus P6T (regular)RAM - Corsair TR3X6G1600C7D Dominator 6 GB 1600mhz (7-7-7-20 timings)Video Card - using my current GTX 260

Hi Mad Cow, I am looking to build my first computer. I intend to use it for general everyday things and also for gaming. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I want a nice machine that will last me a while. I would like an Intel i7 Core processor >3.0GHz. Other than that, I am looking for recommendations for the following:

Case

Power Supply

Motherboard

CPU

RAM

Video Card

OS (Windows 7)

Sound Card

My budget is ~$1500. I would appreciate it if you could help me out with recommendations (and possibly advice for a 1st time builder) if you get a chance.

maximum pc's current build-a-system suggestionyou can save some $ off their $1900 cost by not buying the $600 video card and the 2TB drive.

Case

Power Supply

Motherboard

CPU

RAM

Video Card

OS (Windows 7)

Sound Card

maximum pc's current build-a-system suggestionyou can save some $ off their $1900 cost by not buying the $600 video card and the 2TB drive.
Drop their video card for a 5850 and you save $300. Get a 1 TB HDD instead of the 2 TB HDD there and save about another $200. You could save some more on RAM to get this down to about $1350 or so.

Mad Cow said:
ShaqAttaq said:

Case

Power Supply

Motherboard

CPU

RAM

Video Card

OS (Windows 7)

Sound Card

Drop their video card for a 5850 and you save $300. Get a 1 TB HDD instead of the 2 TB HDD there and save about another $200. You could save some more on RAM to get this down to about $1350 or so.
;) Thanks guys. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll let you know what I end up buying/building.

Mad Cow said:
ShaqAttaq said:

Case

Power Supply

Motherboard

CPU

RAM

Video Card

OS (Windows 7)

Sound Card

:unsure: Thanks guys. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll let you know what I end up buying/building.
About to pull the trigger on the following. Any thoughts?Intel Core i7-920 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

Item #:N82E16819115202

Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

$288.991
13-131-365-03.jpg

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 ATX Intel Motherboard

Item #:N82E16813131365

Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy

-$20.00 Instant

$289.99

$269.991
35-103-065-S01.jpg

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm sleeve CPU Cooler

Item #:N82E16835103065

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

$29.981
20-145-242-02.jpg

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

Item #:N82E16820145242

Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy

$234.991
14-150-454-03.jpg

XFX Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) Black Edition HD-585A-ZNBC Video Card

Item #:N82E16814150454

$359.991
27-151-193-01.jpg

SAMSUNG 24x DVD Burner - Bulk SATA Model SH-S243N/ BEBE

Item #:N82E16827151193

$30.991
22-136-284-04.jpg

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drives -Bare Drive

Item #:N82E16822136284

-$10.00 Instant

$109.99

$99.991
17-139-013-03.jpg

CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-950TX 950W Power Supply

Item #:N82E16817139013

-$30.00 Instant

$179.99

$149.991
11-163-154-02.jpg

SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV02-BW Matte black Computer Case With Side Panel Window

Item #:N82E16811163154

-$20.00 Instant

$199.99

$179.991
32-116-752-01.jpg

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit 1-Pack for System Builders

Item #:N82E16832116752

Return Policy: Software Return Policy

$104.99Grand Total:$1,749.89

Mad Cow said:
ShaqAttaq said:

Case

Power Supply

Motherboard

CPU

RAM

Video Card

OS (Windows 7)

Sound Card

:thumbdown: Thanks guys. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll let you know what I end up buying/building.
About to pull the trigger on the following. Any thoughts?Intel Core i7-920 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

Item #:N82E16819115202

Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

$288.991
13-131-365-03.jpg

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 ATX Intel Motherboard

Item #:N82E16813131365

-$20.00 Instant

$289.99

$269.991
35-103-065-S01.jpg

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm sleeve CPU Cooler

Item #:N82E16835103065

$29.981
20-145-242-02.jpg

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

Item #:N82E16820145242

Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy

$234.991
14-150-454-03.jpg

XFX Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) Black Edition HD-585A-ZNBC Video Card

Item #:N82E16814150454

$359.991
27-151-193-01.jpg

SAMSUNG 24x DVD Burner - Bulk SATA Model SH-S243N/ BEBE

Item #:N82E16827151193

$30.991
22-136-284-04.jpg

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drives -Bare Drive

Item #:N82E16822136284

-$10.00 Instant

$109.99

$99.991
17-139-013-03.jpg

CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-950TX 950W Power Supply

Item #:N82E16817139013

-$30.00 Instant

$179.99

$149.991
11-163-154-02.jpg

SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV02-BW Matte black Computer Case With Side Panel Window

Item #:N82E16811163154

-$20.00 Instant

$199.99

$179.991
32-116-752-01.jpg

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit 1-Pack for System Builders

Item #:N82E16832116752

Return Policy: Software Return Policy

$104.99Grand Total:$1,749.89
What about a sound card?

ShaqAttaq said:
ssherman said:
What about a sound card?
i think the on-mobo sound is sufficient. others may not agree.
Code:
Onboard AudioAudio Chipset				ADI AD2000B				 Audio Channels				8 Channels
I concur.
I continue to have lag problems in L4D2 when others are speaking with in game audio. I have yet to add the sound card but I'm getting the Creative one MC recommended above. I'm hoping that will help out. I'd be curious to hear some recommendations on headphones from you guys. I'll need to upgrade since my current logitec cans are USB. Thouhgts?

Nick Vermeil said:
I'd be curious to hear some recommendations on headphones from you guys. I'll need to upgrade since my current logitec cans are USB. Thouhgts?
Bump for can recommendations. Also, check this thing out. I want that to be my new case.
Hey Pork,The 2nd shell shocker today with Newegg will be a gaming headset. Check it out. Starts at either noon or 1 PM PST. Price will be $24.99 shipped.

Pretty sure this is it

Not bad at half off.

Nick Vermeil said:
I'd be curious to hear some recommendations on headphones from you guys. I'll need to upgrade since my current logitec cans are USB. Thouhgts?
Bump for can recommendations. Also, check this thing out. I want that to be my new case.
Hey Pork,The 2nd shell shocker today with Newegg will be a gaming headset. Check it out. Starts at either noon or 1 PM PST. Price will be $24.99 shipped.

Pretty sure this is it

Not bad at half off.
I'll check it out. Thanks.

I just purchased almost exactly what I posted above. This is my first build. Does anybody have a link to a good toolkit? I'm also looking for any tips or advice that anyone has.

TIA

I just purchased almost exactly what I posted above. This is my first build. Does anybody have a link to a good toolkit? I'm also looking for any tips or advice that anyone has.TIA
No toolkit needed. All you need is a good phillips screwdriver is all that is not magnetic. If you really get into it and like maximizing your performance, then you can do things like lapping the heatsinks, polishing them and using a custom thermal compound, but for your first, this is probably just fine.

Nick Vermeil said:

Pretty sure this is it

Not bad at half off.
I'll check it out. Thanks.
Yep, that is the one. Jump on it now before it sells out.

What about a sound card?
Pass it through HDMI on the 5850 and let an AV Receiver do the work. :rolleyes:
Tell me more about this. I have the 5850, didn't know you could do this.
The HDMI on newer cards will allow you to pass audio (in the 5850's case, even Dolby TrueHD, called "bitstreaming") through to an AV receiver and let it process the sound. The 5850 is likely capable of doing 7.2 audio if you have a home theater setup already.The sound on the motherboard will work just fine, too... the HDMI is just another option.The vendor-specific drivers for your 5850 will be the best option here, and will allow you to enable audio-via-HDMI in the sound options. I think Win7 may make this easier to pull off than XP/Vista.

Jump on it now before it sells out.
:shrug:
I ordered one to try as well. Just using a cheapie at the moment.
Just arrived. These things are massive! Not sure about the vibration function but I'll give it a try.
Holy crap, how did you get it so fast?
They have a shipping location in New Jersey, so if the item is stocked there I get it next day.

Users who are viewing this thread