fasteddie_21

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to?

28,269 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Maik Jeaunz said:

I picked up Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition on sale for 19 bucks the other day. haven't opened it yet, I'm waiting for a day week when I don't have anything to do and my wife is out running errands. 

Just a suggestion, though it may cause some worry for your wife.  Damn good game.

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Get used to it. Gaming is about to BLOW T F UP in a major way. Ive been reading to try and figure out how and what to invest in. "Esports" will eventually be on par if not bigger than the 4 major sports leagues. If you don't believe it you are being naive. 

Its going to cross pollinate into sports as well. This is a little :tinfoilhat: but mark my words.... in the next couple of years you will pay money to sit in your living room and watch the Lakers game as if you are in row 1 seat 1. You look to your right and there will be a virtual Jack Nicholson and his creepy buddy. To your left will be Magic and Bird sitting together. Kayne and Drake will both be there and get paid for their virtual likeness as well. 

Now double :tinfoilhat::tinfoilhat:....... in 10-20 years the simulations/games will be so realistic that at some point the major sports leagues will figure out that they don't need the current labor force to play the games. The athletes will get replaced by virtual avatars played by kids, payed in how well they play the sim. I imagine there will be "real human leagues" and sim leagues. 

Its all coming. Trust me. :unsure:

Oh I agree with all that, I just think the name is goofy. Call if the Halo world championship or the COD professional league or whatever. I just think using the term sport is pushing the envelope a bit too far. 

1 hour ago, jwb said:

If you think about it, it really isn't much different than people watching sports, or reality TV.

My wife was incredulous that "kids today" do this. I reminded her that she watches ten different shows about housewives yelling at each other, people with a lot of kids, and people buying houses. 

Agreed thats why it doesnt bother me. My son doesnt watch TV. Youtube is his TV

1 person likes this

I obviously am in the minority especially since I hate every game ;)

No way I watch people play. I can't even watch those NHL/Madden tournaments.

The day video games replace actual sports is the day anyone can walk on my lawn, because I will give up

2 people like this

11 minutes ago, belljr said:

The day video games replace actual sports is the day anyone can walk on my lawn, because I will give up

If it’s not your thing, it’s not your thing. 

What in your view is the difference between video games at a competitive level vs something like basketball?  You’re a passive participant in both. 

24 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

If it’s not your thing, it’s not your thing. 

What in your view is the difference between video games at a competitive level vs something like basketball?  You’re a passive participant in both. 

Simple really - Athleticism/Physicality  :shrug:

video gamers obviously have hand eye coordination but

there is no running/jumping/throwing/shooting/catching etc     Most I'm sure have played sports and video games.   Getting real good at a video game is "easier" than getting real good at basketball in your example? 

ETA: But I also enjoy going to watch local youth sports  

Edited by belljr

24 minutes ago, belljr said:

Getting real good at a video game is "easier" than getting real good at basketball in your example? 

I think you’re severely underestimating how much better these players are than someone like you or me.  

Again if it’s not your thing, that’s cool.  

There is definitely a market for it, but I also don't see it replacing on field / on court sports either.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, jwb said:

If you think about it, it really isn't much different than people watching sports, or reality TV.

My wife was incredulous that "kids today" do this. I reminded her that she watches ten different shows about housewives yelling at each other, people with a lot of kids, and people buying houses. 

I was thinking about this... I was almost in the camp of "kids today, pfft" but then I realized that I sometimes watch cooking shows on TV. it's the same ####!

Edited by Maik Jeaunz
1 person likes this

I've been having a lot of fun getting back into Overwatch.  I never really got comfortable playing outside of my few characters until I came back and started playing mystery heroes.  I've got almost everyone mastered at this point (except Genji and Doomfist, skill gap is just too big between me and what's required to be good).

1 hour ago, belljr said:

#getoffmylawn

4 hours ago, belljr said:

Simple really - Athleticism/Physicality  :shrug:

video gamers obviously have hand eye coordination but

there is no running/jumping/throwing/shooting/catching etc     Most I'm sure have played sports and video games.   Getting real good at a video game is "easier" than getting real good at basketball in your example? 

ETA: But I also enjoy going to watch local youth sports  

You are looking at this from the perspective of an athlete. You played college ball. 

Guys our age can argue if golf or NASCAR is a sport or not. These kids today are arguing whether or not playing Madden is a sport. 

The answer to every question is money. If there’s money to be made which there is and it is largely untapped to this point then it will happen.

The virtual avatar is that these professional gamers will be using 25 years from now will have a likeness that they design and will never tire, never ever get injured and just like the real athletes -will be replaceable with the next 16-year-old phenom.

This is actually pretty easy to predict. The technology that we are going to see in our lifetime is going to totally boggle the mind. There’s stuff that will be created 30 years from now that we can’t even imagine and it’s all going to happen exponentially faster. 

Everyone is going to be getting off of your lawn!

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22
1 person likes this

I'm not denying it won't happen I'm just saying that it's not going to be me that's watching it :angry:

Edited by belljr
1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Foosball God said:

There is definitely a market for it, but I also don't see it replacing on field / on court sports either.

Agreed, there will be a market, maybe even a large one but I don't see it out growing on the field / on court sports. It will be interesting to see how it evolves, if they go the route of European league soccer organizations it may work out for them because one major issue is fragmentation. Simply put, there are too many games vying for viewers, new games coming out all the time, and new expansions or iterations of existing games coming out too. The fragmentation will forever be a challenge IMO and leads into another major hurdle they have yet to solve which is longevity of a particular video game.

Yes, the games of Basketball and Football, etc. change over time but they are by and large the same. Competitive StarCraft was once the case example for esports and has mostly died out. StarCraft II was a bit of a flop from a competitive standpoint. Are kids 10 years from now going to care about Counterstrike? Or PUBG? No, they'll want to watch people playing whatever new games have come out then. And that's a problem for retaining talent on these esports teams as well; the greatest and the skilled of the elite players in one game don't always translate from one to another. Yes a great COD player can transition to Overwatch or some other first person shooters, but Minecraft? Rocket League?

ESports are kind of the wild west right now along with a lot of other things in video games in general like loot boxes, lots of money to possibly made but lots of challenges to iron out. Their regulating bodies are either non-existent or extremely weak. For example, illegal PED use is extremely rampant among eSports players. This is well beyond the old days of gamers chugging Mountain Dew and such for a caffeine fix, most of those kids playing competitively are taking Ritalin, Adderall and lots of other drugs. This is to say nothing of the gambling issues, truth in advertising, and competitive shenanigans (collusion, cheating, hacks, etc.) that are pretty rampant out there.

8 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

Edit: let me add though that I think calling it “ESports” is ####### goofy. 

Why?  That's exactly what it is.  Let's look at the word "E-Sports".  The 'E' stands for electronic.  So you can call it Electronic Sports.  Therefore a game like Rocket League (which is technically a sports video game) would be an e-sport.  Games like Overwatch may be shooters mechanically, but you're pitting two teams against each other in battle, which is similar to a sport.  Again, sports video games and electronic sports are basically like saying the exact same thing.

1 person likes this

34 minutes ago, SlaX said:

Why?  That's exactly what it is.  Let's look at the word "E-Sports".  The 'E' stands for electronic.  So you can call it Electronic Sports.  Therefore a game like Rocket League (which is technically a sports video game) would be an e-sport.  Games like Overwatch may be shooters mechanically, but you're pitting two teams against each other in battle, which is similar to a sport.  Again, sports video games and electronic sports are basically like saying the exact same thing.

Esports rolls off the tongue. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Buckna said:

Agreed, there will be a market, maybe even a large one but I don't see it out growing on the field / on court sports. It will be interesting to see how it evolves, if they go the route of European league soccer organizations it may work out for them because one major issue is fragmentation. Simply put, there are too many games vying for viewers, new games coming out all the time, and new expansions or iterations of existing games coming out too. The fragmentation will forever be a challenge IMO and leads into another major hurdle they have yet to solve which is longevity of a particular video game.

Yes, the games of Basketball and Football, etc. change over time but they are by and large the same. Competitive StarCraft was once the case example for esports and has mostly died out. StarCraft II was a bit of a flop from a competitive standpoint. Are kids 10 years from now going to care about Counterstrike? Or PUBG? No, they'll want to watch people playing whatever new games have come out then. And that's a problem for retaining talent on these esports teams as well; the greatest and the skilled of the elite players in one game don't always translate from one to another. Yes a great COD player can transition to Overwatch or some other first person shooters, but Minecraft? Rocket League?

ESports are kind of the wild west right now along with a lot of other things in video games in general like loot boxes, lots of money to possibly made but lots of challenges to iron out. Their regulating bodies are either non-existent or extremely weak. For example, illegal PED use is extremely rampant among eSports players. This is well beyond the old days of gamers chugging Mountain Dew and such for a caffeine fix, most of those kids playing competitively are taking Ritalin, Adderall and lots of other drugs. This is to say nothing of the gambling issues, truth in advertising, and competitive shenanigans (collusion, cheating, hacks, etc.) that are pretty rampant out there.

To add on to the last paragraph, I think as this business makes more money, we'll see the government step in and make it regulated. The fact that a significant portion of the "athletes" are minors, they'll be coming down hard and fast on the hyper drugs. The gambling will regulate itself. If you mess with the money people won't bet. If they think it's fixed, you have a problem and start to lose the money. You better believe someone will step in if they think they stand to lose money.

2 hours ago, SlaX said:

Not to go all Websters but a sport is defined as an activity involving physical exertion. This isn’t that. 

Im not diminishing the amount of skill it takes, but it takes zero physicality.  I get the name from a marketing standpoint, but I still think it’s goofy.  Just call it digital competition or something. 

Edited by bigmarc27

Xbox summer sale went live. Looking at Doom for like $13, and maybe something else. 

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

Not to go all Websters but a sport is defined as an activity involving physical exertion. This isn’t that. 

you've never seen me button smash like a mad man in Diablo or throw my controller a 100 yards after my 95th straight death in Dark Souls :) 

9 people like this

On 7/17/2018 at 3:32 PM, Maik Jeaunz said:

I picked up Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition on sale for 19 bucks the other day. haven't opened it yet, I'm waiting for a day when I don't have anything to do and my wife is out running errands. 

I got this on a sale back in the winter. Same sale I also got AC Origins...I still haven't put HZD in my console yet. First up on my backlog but these games are both like 100+ hours lol. Not that I'm a 100% kind of guy, I just go back and forth with story games and sports games/rocket league.

5 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

Well, if we're going by that definition, can you tell me how Dressage is sport?  Much less one that gets time in the Olympics.

But can you tell me why NBA 2k isn't a sports video game just because it doesn't involve physical exertion?  I'm pretty sure it's electronic basketball that plays on your TV.   Again, hence "eSport".  Then when you put it into a league that gets viewers just like a real sport does, you can't deny that that it is one.  And yes, this year was the first year that the NBA actually has an official video game "eSports" league.  Unlike other games (Rocket League, Overwatch, LoL, etc) I don't know anyone that watched any of the games, but it exists.  And I've been hearing that MLB and NHL (the NFL is already there somewhat with Madden) are considering getting into eSports soon.

I know I can't convince you that the name makes sense anymore than you can convince me that it doesn't.  But it's not going away anytime soon.  

5 hours ago, SlaX said:

Well, if we're going by that definition, can you tell me how Dressage is sport?  Much less one that gets time in the Olympics.

But can you tell me why NBA 2k isn't a sports video game just because it doesn't involve physical exertion?  I'm pretty sure it's electronic basketball that plays on your TV.   Again, hence "eSport".  Then when you put it into a league that gets viewers just like a real sport does, you can't deny that that it is one.  And yes, this year was the first year that the NBA actually has an official video game "eSports" league.  Unlike other games (Rocket League, Overwatch, LoL, etc) I don't know anyone that watched any of the games, but it exists.  And I've been hearing that MLB and NHL (the NFL is already there somewhat with Madden) are considering getting into eSports soon.

I know I can't convince you that the name makes sense anymore than you can convince me that it doesn't.  But it's not going away anytime soon.  

I have no clue what Dressage is at all, I’ve never heard of it in my life. 

Of course those are sports games, but games being the pertinent part of that equation.  Also I never said it was going away, I hope it doesn’t go away. I’ve watched some Fortnite and PUBG tourneys and those are great fun.  I think they’re super entertaining and watching them play is fun, it’s just not a sport.  Anything where you are literally sitting on your ### in and air conditioned room in front of a monitor isn’t a sport.  It’s a skill.

Edited by bigmarc27

9 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

I have no clue what Dressage is at all, I’ve never heard of it in my life. .

I had to look it up as I had never heard of it either.

It looks to be an equestrian event.

Edited by NewlyRetired

32 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I had to look it up as I had never heard of it either.

It looks to be an equestrian event.

I'm unfortunate to have to deal with having dressage on TV when the Olympics come on.  My wife loves to watch horse events.  I always joke about how it can't be a sport.  It appears that each participant just rides their horse around the area for a certain amount of time and are judged on it.  It's like if you make the Westminster Dog Show an Olympic event, except this is horses.  Maybe there's something more to it that I don't see.

16 hours ago, SlaX said:

Well, if we're going by that definition, can you tell me how Dressage is sport? 

Sounds like something that belongs in the "Phrases that need to go away" thread. "Got up in the morning and threw on some dressage!"

1 person likes this

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:56 PM, The Tick said:

Playthrough 2 was going pretty well until I met my first overseer...  ### handed, lost half my squad and 2 of the other seriously wounded.  I'm not on ironman or anything, so went back to an old save, too much damage done, and i'll try it again.  Just didn't end up in a good tactical situation and got crushed!

And I think I balled myself even worse...  Went back to the old save, caught up to where I was, replaced the old save with only 2 guys on 3 day injury, didn't think that was bad.  Well I was wrong, overseer mission happens instantly and those two guys on IR happen to be my only 2 upgraded snipers, probably the units I use the most.  I'm not sure this mission is going to go any better this time...  I don't know how any of you guys plan this on ironman and can get anywhere.  It's difficult to survive any mistake.

1 person likes this